PDA

View Full Version : Is Central Arkansas being blinded by the Division I light?

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2005, 09:31 AM
The author of this column thinks huge travel problems will be in store for UCA if they move on up. Truth is all SLC schools have problems bringing NCAA Div I teams to their homes in basketball considering the low RPI of the conference. SHSU probably has more trouble than anyone because they have a history of knocking off big names (Nebraska in Lincoln and Bobby Knight's first loss at Texas Tech as well as some mid-majors in Huntsville).

Also brings up some of the other costs and failures associated with the jump from Div II to Div I.

---------
By Terry Britt
Friday, July 22, 2005 11:57 PM CDT
The Daily Citizen

Ah, how wonderful it is to hit the big time.

No matter what you do in life, whether for work or recreation, it's great to be considered among the best or at the top level.

Maybe that sentiment is really behind the University of Central Arkansas' recent decision to leave the small-town world of NCAA Division II and join the big-time folks in Division I (I-AA for football).

Central Arkansas doesn't appear to be bluffing, giving notice Monday to the Gulf South Conference that it intends to leave next June -- assuming there is a Division I-AA football conference willing to open its door to UCA. That could well be the Southland Conference, who sent a committee to visit the Conway school this week and had nothing but glowing comments to make.

http://www.thedailycitizen.com/articles/2005/07/23/news/sports/sports02.txt

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
And the other side...

UCA I-AA OK with Southland
BY RICKY HARVEY

CONWAY — If it were up to Northwestern (La.) State President Randall Webb, the University of Central Arkansas would have received an invitation to join the Southland Conference on Wednesday. "Enthusiastically so," Webb said. "I’d personally welcome them as partners and friendly competitors."

Webb was one of four representatives from the Southland Conference who visited the UCA campus Wednesday in an exploratory mission aimed at determining if the school qualifies to make the jump to Division I (Division I-AA in football) and possibly receive an invitation to join the 11-member league.

Southland officials toured academic and athletic facilities and met with school representatives, finishing the day with a news conference. "We didn’t make a mistake by coming here. We came to the right place," Southland Commissioner Tom Burnett said. "Our report back to our presidential board of directors will be very, very positive.

" What we saw from the campus, the facilities and the programs, it all just blew us away. I have no hesitation telling this institution that they are primed and ready to make a possible move to Division I if that’s what they choose to do. "

http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?paper=adg&section=Sports&storyid=122688

rokamortis
July 23rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
Seems like they have a lot of support and decent facilities, is that correct? I like how their female athletes are the Sugar Bears.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2005, 10:13 AM
One of the aforementioned articles said there is no soccer in the SLC...

The SLC does have womens' soccer. Sometimes these media folks make me wonder...

Mr. C
July 23rd, 2005, 03:18 PM
At least the guy got the Division I sports, Division I-AA football distinction correct. Given him credit for something most writers stumble with. I think Central Arkansas will be a great addition to the Southland overall and to I-AA football. I for one would welcome them with open arms to the I-AA family.

Retro
July 23rd, 2005, 07:21 PM
UCA Will in fact be a great addition to the SLC and I-AA... They have great facilities and are in large market there in Little Rock.. Once their fans and the little rock media get a taste of I-AA football especially the crowd that Mcneese brings, they will love it.. I do believe they will need to enlarge their stadium rather soon though..