PDA

View Full Version : Drake to play exhibition game in China

bonarae
May 16th, 2018, 05:21 PM
A first for the FCS... to that country. They also went to Tanzania back in 2011.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180516130701060290304

Silenoz
May 16th, 2018, 05:23 PM
China's all-star team against a non-schollie FCS team?

I'd watch it

VandalBasher
May 16th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Can the Vandals play a "friendly" against Simon Fraser in British Columbia this summer? Something doesn't sound right NCAA wise.

PAllen
May 16th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Is this their "spring game"?

Son of Eli
May 16th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Princeton did a similar thing as their spring game a couple of years ago against a Japanese team.

JacksFan40
May 16th, 2018, 07:41 PM
China's all-star team against a non-schollie FCS team?

I'd watch it
I would as well, sounds interestingly fun.

Outsider1
May 16th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Congrats on the opportunity Drake. I'd watch it. It is an awesome opportunity and I pray for safe travels, lots of learning and amazing experiences.

Model Citizen
May 16th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Is this their "spring game"?

No, Drake had its spring game in Iowa a few weeks ago.

NY Crusader 2010
May 16th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Will their 90-something year old super fan who hasn't missed a game since the 1930's be making the trip?

I believe every NCAA team is allowed to take one international trip every four years so they would not have to give up the spring game for this competition.

clenz
May 16th, 2018, 09:17 PM
He passed months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgtw
May 16th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Can the Vandals play a "friendly" against Simon Fraser in British Columbia this summer? Something doesn't sound right NCAA wise.

This sounds like a special case, sort of a way of promoting the sport in a new part of the world and give the players a great experience. Not quite the same as playing a Canadian team.

But you could always ask the NCAA if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anthony215
May 17th, 2018, 08:21 AM
That's a pretty cool idea. In replace of what has become watered down spring games why not make them competitive while also giving the young kids a real first time game day experience. I would be in favor of in state D2 v D1 spring game formats or neighboring states. In a state like TX that works perfectly however here in PA we have 16 D2 football teams, 3 FBS football programs, and 8 FCS programs so a few D2 schools would still have to look elsewhere within the state probably D3 schools for a real game.

PAllen
May 17th, 2018, 09:34 AM
That's a pretty cool idea. In replace of what has become watered down spring games why not make them competitive while also giving the young kids a real first time game day experience. I would be in favor of in state D2 v D1 spring game formats or neighboring states. In a state like TX that works perfectly however here in PA we have 16 D2 football teams, 3 FBS football programs, and 8 FCS programs so a few D2 schools would still have to look elsewhere within the state probably D3 schools for a real game.

Not a bad idea, but it will never happen. Can you imagine what would happen if IUP went into State College and won?

Anthony215
May 17th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Not a bad idea, but it will never happen. Can you imagine what would happen if IUP went into State College and won?

That would be amazing and enrollment sure wouldn't decline as it has the last few years. Miller Stadium would also be packed for at least the first few home games as well just off the publicity and notoriety a win in State College would do for the program. One can only dream right????? hahahahaha.

Model Citizen
May 17th, 2018, 12:45 PM
This is a remarkable game for Drake.

Their opponent is from a nominally Communist part of the world...where all students are taught English, but few understand America. Most would not be able to find Iowa on a U.S. map. In spite of their growing global influence, their culture looks inward.

In other words, it's great preparation for a future Drake-Ivy League football game.

ccd494
May 17th, 2018, 01:21 PM

Their opponent is from a nominally Communist part of the world...where all students are taught English, but few understand America. Most would not be able to find Iowa on a U.S. map. In spite of their growing global influence, their culture looks inward.

In other words, it's great preparation for a future Drake-Ivy League football game.

As opposed to the United States, where few students are taught Chinese, few understand China, and none would be able to find the Chinese version of Iowa on a map?

There are plenty of problems in China, but saying that China is more "inward looking" than America is a bit rich. 67% of Americans can't find North Korea on a map! https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/09/nearly-two-thirds-of-americans-cant-find-north-korea-on-a-map-can-you/?utm_term=.45241fbbd149

Outsider1
May 17th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Touch'e

PAllen
May 18th, 2018, 10:04 AM

So just like the United States.

- - - Updated - - -

As opposed to the United States, where few students are taught Chinese, few understand China, and none would be able to find the Chinese version of Iowa on a map?

There are plenty of problems in China, but saying that China is more "inward looking" than America is a bit rich. 67% of Americans can't find North Korea on a map! https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/08/09/nearly-two-thirds-of-americans-cant-find-north-korea-on-a-map-can-you/?utm_term=.45241fbbd149

I would bet that 67% of americans couldn't find the US on a map.

JacksFan40
May 18th, 2018, 06:32 PM
So just like the United States.

- - - Updated - - -

I would bet that 67% of americans couldn't find the US on a map.
I’ll do one better, if bet 67% of Americans couldn’t find North America on a map.