PDA

View Full Version : High Espectations For These FCS Teams

SU DOG
May 12th, 2018, 10:55 AM
Please note that this is NOT a team ranking, but a confidence listing as explained in the preface.

https://herosports.com/fcs/rankings-playoff-teams-monmouth-sdsu-montana-sam-houston-elon-bzbz#1

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 12th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I'm not sure I buy Lehigh at 20 in a confidence ranking. Their defense has been dreadful for the last 5 seasons. If they're at #20 that just shows how weak the PL figures to be again this year. Colgate would seem to be the "safer bet". Although they've struggled to find consistency in recent years.

It would not shock me if the PL playoff rep has a losing record again. Colgate has a brutal OOC schedule and Lehigh's is no picnic either.

JSUSoutherner
May 12th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Yeah, you definitely went to Samford... xlolx

VandalBasher
May 12th, 2018, 11:37 AM
The Idaho offense will be suspect. Our D will be some of the best in the FCS. Mark it down.

SU DOG
May 12th, 2018, 11:56 AM

Glad you can recognize that proud fact. BTW, this writer must not have read the JSU Board(especially the topic 'Concerns') or he wouldn't have even put JSU in the 'Confidence' rankings. :D
'

RichH2
May 12th, 2018, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure I buy Lehigh at 20 in a confidence ranking. Their defense has been dreadful for the last 5 seasons. If they're at #20 that just shows how weak the PL figures to be again this year. Colgate would seem to be the "safer bet". Although they've struggled to find consistency in recent years.

It would not shock me if the PL playoff rep has a losing record again. Colgate has a brutal OOC schedule and Lehigh's is no picnic either.

Certainly possible scenarios for both Colgate and Lehigh. Raiders have almost entire depth chart returning. Reagardless of their tough OOC, agree they must be the odds on favorite going into the season.
Lehigh has to rebuild the offensive line and replace their best ever duo of WRs.Admittedly there is a lot of experienced players to move up in both areas.
Over the last 5 years I have oft said that D could not get any worse. I am 0-5 on that prediction. But this time I really mean it :).

JSUSoutherner
May 12th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Glad you can recognize that proud fact. BTW, this writer must not have read the JSU Board(especially the topic 'Concerns') or he wouldn't have even put JSU in the 'Confidence' rankings. :D
'

I guess he hasn’t.

I could see us anywhere from 8-3 and missing the cut to challenging for another trip to Frisco. Who knows how badly we’ll disappoint this year.

Supposedly our new QB knows how to throw the ball to other players actually on our team but who knows. Lots and lots of questions for JSU this year.

Hype on our board is slowly coming back but I’ll believe the hype when we win a real game.

Gangtackle11
May 12th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Hard to believe Nova isn’t mentioned before Delaware. Cats have their top offensive players returning from injury. QB, RB, TE, WR all back & all were starters. Throw in preseason CAA DPOY coming back on defense.

Its hard to fathom with what is returning for Nova that Delaware has the edge.

caribbeanhen
May 12th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Hard to believe Nova isn’t mentioned before Delaware. Cats have their top offensive players returning from injury. QB, RB, TE, WR all back & all were starters. Throw in preseason CAA DPOY coming back on defense.

neither were mentioned GT, only playoff teams from last year....

JALMOND
May 12th, 2018, 01:52 PM
There are some high expectations surrounding Portland State this year, after going through the worst year in the history of the program. Last year was supposed to be building on the previous year so going winless was somewhat of a shock. Barnum did get a vote of "confidence" from the AD, but he will need to get some wins this year to keep off the hot seat. Unlike most teams mentioned, the Viks aren't looking for a conference championship this year, but if we can't get to at least .500 in conference, it may get ugly. This will be year 3 since going to the playoffs so typically this is the year to see results from that recruiting class.

VandalBasher
May 12th, 2018, 02:21 PM

High Espectations For These FCS Teams
Is that Spanish?

SU DOG
May 12th, 2018, 04:27 PM
High Espectations For These FCS Teams

Is that Spanish?

xlolx No, but probably can be blamed on old age.

SCPALADIN
May 12th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Please note that this is NOT a team ranking, but a confidence listing as explained in the preface.

https://herosports.com/fcs/rankings-playoff-teams-monmouth-sdsu-montana-sam-houston-elon-bzbz#1

The unseeded Paladins were not two points away from advancing to the FCS quarterfinals. We lost 24-23 in the opening game of the season, not the playoffs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 12th, 2018, 10:32 PM
Expectation for the OVC this year:

JSU breezes thru the conference season undefeated and gets an undeserved top 4 seed. Proceeds to lose its first game in the playoffs......again!

xlolxxnodx

RootinFerDukes
May 13th, 2018, 06:42 AM
The Idaho offense will be suspect. Our D will be some of the best in the FCS. Mark it down.

First I'm not trying to "prove you wrong" but I was genuinely curious about Idaho's D. I'm very interested in Idaho's transition to FCS overall and will be watching them a little more closely then I would any other team nationally, especially an unranked team.

I figured, lets compare their 2017 stats to FCS level stats, although I acknowledge that is by no means a perfect metric as they are different levels, recruit types and talent, size, speed and just 22 more scholarship players.

Anyways, here are the four big defensive stats in 2017.

Passing Yards Allowed:
222.3, that would rank 70th in FCS.

Rushing D:
168.1, would rank 81st.

Scoring D:
25.8, would rank 60th.

Total D:
390.4, would rank 78th.

I would say among the best would be top 25 in every major statistical category. The Big Sky is also known on here as an "all O and no D" conference. Weber State was their best defensive team last year and still only ranked 40th in total D in 2017.

PAllen
May 13th, 2018, 07:28 AM
First I'm not trying to "prove you wrong" but I was genuinely curious about Idaho's D. I'm very interested in Idaho's transition to FCS overall and will be watching them a little more closely then I would any other team nationally, especially an unranked team.

I figured, lets compare their 2017 stats to FCS level stats, although I acknowledge that is by no means a perfect metric as they are different levels, recruit types and talent, size, speed and just 22 more scholarship players.

Anyways, here are the four big defensive stats in 2017.

Passing Yards Allowed:
222.3, that would rank 70th in FCS.

Rushing D:
168.1, would rank 81st.

Scoring D:
25.8, would rank 60th.

Total D:
390.4, would rank 78th.

I would say among the best would be top 25 in every major statistical category. The Big Sky is also known on here as an "all O and no D" conference. Weber State was their best defensive team last year and still only ranked 40th in total D in 2017.

Might as well compare the statistics of the Cleveland Browns.

RootinFerDukes
May 13th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Might as well compare the statistics of the Cleveland Browns.

Thank goodness I put that second line of text in my post...

Additionally, the Browns would be MAYBE top 115 in FCS statistics. Idaho would beat them handily.

PAllen
May 13th, 2018, 09:22 AM
All I'll say is that Idaho clearly had a defense last year that was far superior to Lehigh's. Of course, having any defense at all pretty much qualifies you for that category.

RichH2
May 13th, 2018, 10:03 AM
All I'll say is that Idaho clearly had a defense last year that was far superior to Lehigh's. Of course, having any defense at all pretty much qualifies you for that category.

xbangxxbangx Yup.No doubt that we have had the most offense friendly D for the last 4 years. This was particularly true for 2nd string RBs last year. I keep expecting us to soar up to a mediocre level. Maybe this year.xdrunkyx

VandalBasher
May 13th, 2018, 10:29 AM
https://static.bigskyconf.com/custompages/football/2017/confldrs.htm
http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400944827
http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/16/year/2017

I can only go off of one game. Sacramento St. vs. Idaho. Yes, the Hornets were on the road.

SAC ST. #1 Scoring Offense and #4 Total Offense in the BSC. In our game against them no touchdowns, 2 of 3 FGs.
Rushing Offense #4, as a team they gained 95 yards on the ground.
Passing Offense #10, again 95 yards between two QBs.
Passing Efficiency #1, 10/25 against the Vandals.
Red Zone Offense, #1, no touchdowns.

Sacramento St. ended the season at 6-2 in conference and 7-4 overall. Their losses were to Weber (OOC), EWU and Northern Arizona. They lost to the Wildcats by a touchdown and manhandled Southern Utah. The loss to the Lumberjacks is an odd one. Even in this loss, the Hornets scored two TDs and a FG. They moved the ball against every other team in the Big Sky with ease.

I love stats. I will still say, the Vandal defense will be the area that shines this fall.

I welcome all feedback.

BEAR
May 13th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Part of me is still frustrated how last year ended. So much talent undercut by a poaching of our coach before the first playoff game. Reading the players comments on Twitter and speaking with them you can clearly see the frustration they felt. But I guess it's part of the pitfalls of being FCS. But onto next year as they say. I think we will do better than most expect as we've come in second in conference nearly every year minus a couple of exceptions. But there is so much we need to retool if wouldn't surprise me if we had a rebuild year. Those come around every 5 or 6 years. No biggie.

RootinFerDukes
May 13th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Excellent points vandal. It is just one big sky team but one of the better offenses and they won 7 of 11, so not a bad team overall.

You’ll probably have a top 50 defense if I were to guess. Having two fbs games on the road with lead to higher than usual defensive stats though.

VandalBasher
May 13th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Excellent points vandal. It is just one big sky team but one of the better offenses and they won 7 of 11, so not a bad team overall.

You’ll probably have a top 50 defense if I were to guess. Having two fbs games on the road with lead to higher than usual defensive stats though.

Yes, we aren't playing SJSU and Vanderbilt. I will have to take a look at the numbers based on FCS level games to truly determine how well our team is stacking up. The game against Western New Mexico will also have to be left out unless I am looking to pad our numbers.

Go Vandals.

F'N Hawks
May 13th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Yes, we aren't playing SJSU and Vanderbilt. I will have to take a look at the numbers based on FCS level games to truly determine how well our team is stacking up. The game against Western New Mexico will also have to be left out unless I am looking to pad our numbers.

Go Vandals.

Wait till you see the offensive dynamo that invades the Kibbie Dome on November 3rd. You're truly going to be left speechless!

McNeese72
May 13th, 2018, 08:08 PM
We suck again!!!!

Doc

katss07
May 13th, 2018, 10:17 PM
Hmm, sometimes I don’t know what to think when reading a Hero article. The group seems to put out an acceptable product most of the time. Sometimes they miss the mark with me, but where they placed most teams seems okay. Glad they recognize that anything less than a playoff appearance is failure for the Kats. Why Is Monmouth on the list though?

RootinFerDukes
May 14th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Hmm, sometimes I don’t know what to think when reading a Hero article. The group seems to put out an acceptable product most of the time. Sometimes they miss the mark with me, but where they placed most teams seems okay. Glad they recognize that anything less than a playoff appearance is failure for the Kats. Why Is Monmouth on the list though?

He based the list off of every 2017 playoff team.

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Samford's an interesting case.

In 2017, with perhaps the best team perhaps they've ever had, the Bulldogs were still were bounced in the first round (by a team they had already beaten). With a senior QB looking to set NCAA passing records in 2018, I can imagine the expectations are sky high.

With Samford, I am still interested to see if they suffer from Elon's fate after Scott Riddle graduated. The current Samford team reminds me a lot of the Elon team from 10 years ago. Both were mediocre SoCon teams before riding a transcendent long-term starter at QB running virtually identical offenses. Both teams elevated themselves to playoff contender, but developed a reputation of being soft late in the season and the post season. Elon fell off a cliff after Riddle graduated. Hopefully Samford has a better go of it.

VandalBasher
May 14th, 2018, 09:32 AM
Wait till you see the offensive dynamo that invades the Kibbie Dome on November 3rd. You're truly going to be left speechless!

http://govandals.com/boxscore.aspx?id=998&path=football

It should be a fun game. I hope the UND fans can make it out to the Kibbie Dome. Everyone forgets about outdoor games on the Palouse in November.

SU DOG
May 14th, 2018, 10:42 AM

In 2017, with perhaps the best team perhaps they've ever had, the Bulldogs were still were bounced in the first round (by a team they had already beaten). With a senior QB looking to set NCAA passing records in 2018, I can imagine the expectations are sky high.

With Samford, I am still interested to see if they suffer from Elon's fate after Scott Riddle graduated. The current Samford team reminds me a lot of the Elon team from 10 years ago. Both were mediocre SoCon teams before riding a transcendent long-term starter at QB running virtually identical offenses. Both teams elevated themselves to playoff contender, but developed a reputation of being soft late in the season and the post season. Elon fell off a cliff after Riddle graduated. Hopefully Samford has a better go of it.

It is fair to ask that question, and I am biased, of course, but I will try to answer. In Elon's case, Riddle's senior year(6-5) was a stepdown from the previous high watermarks. Sure hope this isn't the case for Devlin this year. As for having 4 straight years of losing afterwards, like Elon, I seriously doubt it. Samford has far too much talent and fertile recruiting grounds for that. Also, Samford couldn't be considered soft late this past season, winning their last 3 SoCon games. A Devlin Hodges doesn't come along very often, and he will be missed, but NO, there will be no scenario equivalent to the Elon plunge.

Sammy94
May 14th, 2018, 11:58 AM
He based the list off of every 2017 playoff team.

Nicholls ranked so high? Who did they beat in 2017? Oh I forgot it was the close losses, they must count as almost wins in Hero's eyes? How about the close wins against McNeese and HBU? Do they count as almost losses?

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2018, 12:41 PM
It is fair to ask that question, and I am biased, of course, but I will try to answer. In Elon's case, Riddle's senior year(6-5) was a stepdown from the previous high watermarks. Sure hope this isn't the case for Devlin this year. As for having 4 straight years of losing afterwards, like Elon, I seriously doubt it. Samford has far too much talent and fertile recruiting grounds for that. Also, Samford couldn't be considered soft late this past season, winning their last 3 SoCon games. A Devlin Hodges doesn't come along very often, and he will be missed, but NO, there will be no scenario equivalent to the Elon plunge.

I do not think there is an easy answer. From my years watching football (especially SoCon football), it is hard to replace good QBs. Especially good QBs who are probably the best player your program ever had.

Realistically, the next guy up is a good player (a D-1 QB), but he may throw balls that are not quite on target, maybe not quite as much zip, and not quite as accurate as Hodges did. Just from watching Furman play at Samford this year, the Bulldogs relied on Hodges to make a number of throws in that game Samford had no business completing. Does the next man up make those same throws to preserve a six point win? Samford has not been blowing teams off the field - they are winning gutty games based in no small part on their QB play.

One thing I find incredibly interesting is that Samford does not let any QB other than Hodges take snaps. Last season, Samford threw the ball 531 times, and all but three of those passes were by Hodges. Two were by wide receivers (the other by "team" - maybe a fumbled FG snap?). None was by a QB. In fact, I think you have to go back to October 2016 to find the last time a QB not named Devlin Hodges threw a pass for Samford.

The only justification for that I can come up with is Chris Hatcher wants Hodges to break records. If 2017 is any indication, Samford could go two years without another QB taking a live snap. I just cannot see how that is a good idea.

SU DOG
May 14th, 2018, 03:12 PM
Former Georgia All-State QB Liam Welch is the heir apparent to Hodges. Welch was red-shirted last season, thus you didn't see a back-up. I think you will see Welch at least in some mop up action this season. At any rate, Samford will NOT have the fallout that Elon did. I imagine that losing Coach Pete Lembo was also a factor for Elon's struggles.

RootinFerDukes
May 14th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Nicholls ranked so high? Who did they beat in 2017? Oh I forgot it was the close losses, they must count as almost wins in Hero's eyes? How about the close wins against McNeese and HBU? Do they count as almost losses?

You didn't read the intro/premise of the article, did you?

PaladinFan
May 14th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Former Georgia All-State QB Liam Welch is the heir apparent to Hodges. Welch was red-shirted last season, thus you didn't see a back-up. I think you will see Welch at least in some mop up action this season. At any rate, Samford will NOT have the fallout that Elon did. I imagine that losing Coach Pete Lembo was also a factor for Elon's struggles.

I think the failure to put a backup in the game is a clear decision by Hatcher to let Hodges take every snap he can. There were several games (UGA, the Citadel, VMI, ETSU) where mop up duty would have been warranted to protect a star player. The fact that not a single QB took a snap last season is a calculated decision by the coaching staff; I doubt it has much to do with the backup's status.

Again, I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen. Welch I am sure will be a good player, though GHSA Class A schools are not necessarily known for producing top flight QBs. Running backs, yes. Defensive players, yes. Passing QBs, not as much.

At bottom, they go into next season with a completely unproven commodity at QB in an offense that throws it 500+ times a season. That's not everything. It is also not nothing.

Professor
May 14th, 2018, 03:52 PM
It's still NDSU to lose. They will be the front runner. Everyone else is playing for Number 2

WeAreThePride
May 14th, 2018, 08:33 PM
It's still NDSU to lose. They will be the front runner. Everyone else is playing for Number 2
Truth.

Go...gate
May 14th, 2018, 11:55 PM

Delaware has Mr. Chicken. Villanova has no one who can match him. Go Hens!

Thumper 76
May 17th, 2018, 01:34 PM

This list is pretty arbitrary as to where he put teams. It’s based off of what teams he’s most confident will “reach their expectations” allowing a moving scale from team to team to be able to justify having teams like San Diego ranked highly for once and get people wound up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike296
May 20th, 2018, 12:52 AM
People sleeping on APSU? I see us as a 25-30 type team to start the year possibly higher if our offense shows up this year and we actually beat JSU. Can we win a playoff game? Probably not but the fact that we even stand a chance to make the Playoffs is a crazy thought considering where we were as a program just a few years prior.

sudog03
May 20th, 2018, 07:35 AM

With Samford, I am still interested to see if they suffer from Elon's fate after Scott Riddle graduated. Elon fell off a cliff after Riddle graduated. Hopefully Samford has a better go of it.

Samford has had 7 straight winning season. Hodges has played in 2.5 of those seasons. But, I can understand the wishful thinking given that I think we are 6-2 in our last 8 games against y'all.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Samford has had 7 straight winning season. Hodges has played in 2.5 of those seasons. But, I can understand the wishful thinking given that I think we are 6-2 in our last 8 games against y'all.

Congrats. The best Samford has ever been caught up to Furman at their lowest point in decades.

Certainly, you don't want to compare resumes. I don't think that is going to be a winning argument for Samford. At their best, Furman is playing for national titles. At their best, Samford ingloriously loses in the first round of the post season.

jsualumnus
May 20th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Expectation for the OVC this year:

JSU breezes thru the conference season undefeated and gets an undeserved top 4 seed. Proceeds to lose its first game in the playoffs......again!

xlolxxnodx

2nd F***in coming of Nostradamus, right here, ladies and gentlemen! Gotta get your facts correct, though. We won’t be seeded this year.

TheKingpin28
May 20th, 2018, 05:30 PM
2nd F***in coming of Nostradamus, right here, ladies and gentlemen! Gotta get your facts correct, though. We won’t be seeded this year.

You've never met Marty Scarano then... xcoffeex

clenz
May 20th, 2018, 06:50 PM
High aspirations
Low expectations

Only way to go into a season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 20th, 2018, 07:43 PM

Will history play out again for JSU and the crappy OVC....xlolx

TheKingpin28
May 20th, 2018, 08:10 PM
It's not a matter of will, but when.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
May 20th, 2018, 08:10 PM

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 20th, 2018, 08:15 PM

The OVC is crap.

jsualumnus
May 20th, 2018, 08:23 PM
The OVC is crap.

Preaching to the choir, yo.

TheKingpin28
May 20th, 2018, 08:53 PM
The OVC is crap.

They could increase their football program by playing peer-talented football, but they stay in the OVC. I guess winning conference championships must be worth it.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 06:24 AM
They could increase their football program by playing peer-talented football, but they stay in the OVC. I guess winning conference championships must be worth it.

I've said this elsewhere, but JSU has the easiest path to the national title of any team in the country. They are a good football team, but can go all season and play perhaps one other FCS team that might actually be a threat to beat them. That results in a virtual lock at a seed and homefield advantage.

From JSU's standpoint - why leave? You are the king of the mountain.

JSUSoutherner
May 21st, 2018, 07:09 AM
I've said this elsewhere, but JSU has the easiest path to the national title of any team in the country. They are a good football team, but can go all season and play perhaps one other FCS team that might actually be a threat to beat them. That results in a virtual lock at a seed and homefield advantage.

From JSU's standpoint - why leave? You are the king of the mountain.
We fans would love to be in a conference with better competition but we have no realistic options. The only real alternative is the SoCon and the SoCon doesn't want us.

Our best hope is that APSU continues to get better, we keep scheduling good OOC competition, and somebody else in the conference (EIU or UTM) steps the **** up.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 07:54 AM
We fans would love to be in a conference with better competition but we have no realistic options. The only real alternative is the SoCon and the SoCon doesn't want us.

Our best hope is that APSU continues to get better, we keep scheduling good OOC competition, and somebody else in the conference (EIU or UTM) steps the **** up.

I would personally like to see JSU in the SoCon. I would like Kennesaw too. I don't know what goes inside the secret HQ, but my impression has always been that the SoCon has little interest in acting as a "springboard" to the FBS.

Granted, I can get a big picture of Samford's administration running interference on JSU's admission to the SoCon in the same way Furman/Wofford probably did with Coastal Carolina.

Sammy94
May 21st, 2018, 08:11 AM

Should have stayed in the Southland

PaladinNation
May 21st, 2018, 08:14 AM
I would personally like to see JSU in the SoCon. I would like Kennesaw too. I don't know what goes inside the secret HQ, but my impression has always been that the SoCon has little interest in acting as a "springboard" to the FBS.

Granted, I can get a big picture of Samford's administration running interference on JSU's admission to the SoCon in the same way Furman/Wofford probably did with Coastal Carolina.

My guess… for Furman/TheCitadel the Coastal thing was an academic issue. I would say that KSU and JSU would be challenged in the same way… adding those two schools would be hard for Furman, The Citadel, VMI, Wofford, and Samford to compete against with their academic requirements.

JSUSoutherner
May 21st, 2018, 08:59 AM
Should have stayed in the Southland

Yeah because flying to every away game makes sense.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 09:15 AM
My guess… for Furman/TheCitadel the Coastal thing was an academic issue. I would say that KSU and JSU would be challenged in the same way… adding those two schools would be hard for Furman, The Citadel, VMI, Wofford, and Samford to compete against with their academic requirements.

I have no real understanding of the "academic requirements" or how those apply to admission to the requirements. Not every SoCon school, of course, is a small liberal arts college. So, if you have some large public universities in the league, what is the issue with adding more?

Coastal didn't bring anything to SoCon admission that they did not already have. There's already three teams in South Carolina, they have no market, and a small alumni base.

JSU would continue to expand the footprint westward, there's a natural rivalry with Samford/UTC, and cuts down some on travel for those schools. Coastal did none of that.

Kennesaw would put the SoCon in the Atlanta market, which itself would be a big fish. Atlanta is full of alums from SoCon schools, who would certainly show up to watch their alma maters play locally. My concern with KSU is the obvious one, though - they don't want to be at this level for long.

Granted, you would think that KSU would look at similar schools like Charlotte and Ga. State and ask why they would want to go down that road.

SU DOG
May 21st, 2018, 09:32 AM
Personally. I would love to see JSU in the SoCon. I think that their program is probably much cleaner now than under Crowe, whom I had no respect for. While the academics would allow them to get some players that we privates couldn't, this is just too often used as an excuse. I seem to remember schools like Nova and Richmond winning the NC not too long ago. When Samford recruits against JSU, we get some they want and they get some we want. Of course I'm simply a fan with no inside connections, so my opinions don't really matter.

When Samford was in the OVC, we had a team but not a football program. We were never competitive with teams like JSU and EKU. That has slowly changed, IMO, in spite of a drubbing by the Gamecocks in a 2013 Playoff Game when we limped into that affair with many many injuries to key players(call this an excuse, but I know it was something of a factor). In watching JSU in several games last year, I know that our Dogs would have played at least a competitive game against them. We were almost their opponent in the Montgomery Classic this year. I think that was tentatively approved, but when our administration found that a home game would have to be sacrificed, it was scratched.

Again, I would like to see JSU in the SoCon, but respect the opinion of others. Samford, UTC, and some other teams could quickly develop great rivalries with the Gamecocks. Watching the Marching Southerners would also be a treat for any fan base, and Western Carolina's band would have to step it up a notch. LOL.

JSUSoutherner
May 21st, 2018, 09:58 AM
Personally. I would love to see JSU in the SoCon. I think that their program is probably much cleaner now than under Crowe, whom I had no respect for. While the academics would allow them to get some players that we privates couldn't, this is just too often used as an excuse. I seem to remember schools like Nova and Richmond winning the NC not too long ago. When Samford recruits against JSU, we get some they want and they get some we want. Of course I'm simply a fan with no inside connections, so my opinions don't really matter.

When Samford was in the OVC, we had a team but not a football program. We were never competitive with teams like JSU and EKU. That has slowly changed, IMO, in spite of a drubbing by the Gamecocks in a 2013 Playoff Game when we limped into that affair with many many injuries to key players(call this an excuse, but I know it was something of a factor). In watching JSU in several games last year, I know that our Dogs would have played at least a competitive game against them. We were almost their opponent in the Montgomery Classic this year. I think that was tentatively approved, but when our administration found that a home game would have to be sacrificed, it was scratched.

Again, I would like to see JSU in the SoCon, but respect the opinion of others. Samford, UTC, and some other teams could quickly develop great rivalries with the Gamecocks. Watching the Marching Southerners would also be a treat for any fan base, and Western Carolina's band would have to step it up a notch. LOL.

I think El Cid and VMI would be more against JSU joining the league than Samford would be. JSU would be a money game for Samford.

PaladinFan
May 21st, 2018, 10:19 AM
I think El Cid and VMI would be more against JSU joining the league than Samford would be. JSU would be a money game for Samford.

I can see that. JSU would probably be Samford's biggest gate by a country mile.

To be honest, I have no idea why VMI is in the SoCon. They are pretty much the farthest roadtrip for every conference team and are barely competitive in any major sport. The only reason I can fathom to keep them in the conference is because they are a rivalry game for the Citadel. That seems like a bad reason.

JSUSoutherner
May 21st, 2018, 10:36 AM
I can see that. JSU would probably be Samford's biggest gate by a country mile.

To be honest, I have no idea why VMI is in the SoCon. They are pretty much the farthest roadtrip for every conference team and are barely competitive in any major sport. The only reason I can fathom to keep them in the conference is because they are a rivalry game for the Citadel. That seems like a bad reason.
We would be the biggest game of the year for Chattanooga too. Heck, their biggest 2 crowds ever in Finley are both from us filling their stadium for them. :D

FUBeAR
May 21st, 2018, 11:26 AM
I have no real understanding of the "academic requirements" or how those apply to admission to the requirements. Not every SoCon school, of course, is a small liberal arts college. So, if you have some large public universities in the league, what is the issue with adding more?

Coastal didn't bring anything to SoCon admission that they did not already have. There's already three teams in South Carolina, they have no market, and a small alumni base.

JSU would continue to expand the footprint westward, there's a natural rivalry with Samford/UTC, and cuts down some on travel for those schools. Coastal did none of that.

Kennesaw would put the SoCon in the Atlanta market, which itself would be a big fish. Atlanta is full of alums from SoCon schools, who would certainly show up to watch their alma maters play locally. My concern with KSU is the obvious one, though - they don't want to be at this level for long.

Granted, you would think that KSU would look at similar schools like Charlotte and Ga. State and ask why they would want to go down that road.I’m ‘emotionally’ opposed to JSU & KSU joining the SoCon & I don’t even really know what that means. I think it’s a feeling resulting from the scar tissue I have developed from enduring marsha & gasou fans’ hooliganism & from hearing the ‘new money’ arrogance of the appys as soon as they had a few good years, after pretty much languishing in the middle & lower echelon of the SoCon for about 30 years. And, I, selfishly, am loathe to legitimize KSU’s Football program by granting them SoCon-level of respect mainly because they ‘live’ in the Atlanta market...which I would prefer to be the semi-exclusive providence of the Georgia-based Mercer Bears & the Furman Paladins, who have a long & deep history with The City Too Busy to Hate.

With all that said, I think I am now ‘intellectually’ in favor of both of those programs making a move to the SoCon IF they will agree to a GINORMOUS buyout should they decide to exit for any reason...ever. PaladinFan makes great points as to why. I would also add that if both joined, there immediately becomes very little question that the SoCon would be the 2nd strongest Conference in FCS. No more ‘debating’ that the CAA or the Big Sky are in that position. And, it wouldn’t be far from pushing for #1.

Bring on the Avian Invasion!

JSUSoutherner
May 21st, 2018, 11:50 AM
I’m ‘emotionally’ opposed to JSU & KSU joining the SoCon & I don’t even really know what that means. I think it’s a feeling resulting from the scar tissue I have developed from enduring marsha & gasou fans’ hooliganism & from hearing the ‘new money’ arrogance of the appys as soon as they had a few good years, after pretty much languishing in the middle & lower echelon of the SoCon for about 30 years. And, I, selfishly, am loathe to legitimize KSU’s Football program by granting them SoCon-level of respect mainly because they ‘live’ in the Atlanta market...which I would prefer to be the semi-exclusive providence of the Georgia-based Mercer Bears & the Furman Paladins, who have a long & deep history with The City Too Busy to Hate.

With all that said, I think I am now ‘intellectually’ in favor of both of those programs making a move to the SoCon IF they will agree to a GINORMOUS buyout should they decide to exit for any reason...ever. PaladinFan makes great points as to why. I would also add that if both joined, there immediately becomes very little question that the SoCon would be the 2nd strongest Conference in FCS. No more ‘debating’ that the CAA or the Big Sky are in that position. And, it wouldn’t be far from pushing for #1.

Bring on the Avian Invasion!
See the difference is Marshall and GaSo were arrogant cause they knew how to get out of the second round.

Also not sure what you're talking about with Mercer and Furman having any pull in ATL. You guys play second fiddle to the guy playing second fiddle to the guy playing eighth fiddle in Atlanta.

FUBeAR
May 21st, 2018, 12:05 PM
Also not sure what you're talking about with Mercer and Furman having any pull in ATL. You guys play second fiddle to the guy playing second fiddle to the guy playing eighth fiddle in Atlanta.Stick to blowing things. Your review of the strings section is a sour note.

BisonFan02
May 21st, 2018, 03:21 PM
Stick to blowing things. Your review of the strings section is a sour note.

*jazz music stops*

VandalBasher
May 21st, 2018, 03:29 PM
https://soundcloud.com/fbgppodcasts/2018-big-sky-conference-season-preview

This is the preview for the Big Sky. Around the 35:14 minute mark they cover Idaho in the BSC. And, around the 54:13 mark, they pick their picks for the playoffs.

They have EWU, NAU, Montana and Idaho!

I have said from the beginning that I think the Vandals will be at 6-5 on the season and it might be a little too much to say we are playoff ready yet. I dig the prediction though.

Thumper 76
May 21st, 2018, 04:30 PM
*jazz music stops*

Smh. No use of meme. I deduct ten points.

BisonFan02
May 21st, 2018, 04:49 PM
Smh. No use of meme. I deduct ten points.

And may God have mercy on your soul.

NY Crusader 2010
May 21st, 2018, 04:59 PM

Difference between confidence rankings and real-life FCS rankings. No reason for any PL team to sniff even the ACTUAL top 25 until proven otherwise on the field this fall. But as far as "confidence" goes, what could be more of a confidence booster than, "Our league is so bad that we can go 0-5 out of conference and still get an NCAA bid!!!".

I said it once and I said it before. PL teams playing FBS guarantee games is good in the long run for competitive edge and recruiting but will certainly serve to drive down the OOC record year-over-year, meaning more 6-5 and 7-4 (hopefully no more 5-6 PLEASE) conference champs.

OL FU
May 21st, 2018, 08:21 PM

Granted, you would think that KSU would look at similar schools like Charlotte and Ga. State and ask why they would want to go down that road.

If we were the Ivy League or the patriot league I would say put up some academic requirements. We are not. I agree we don’t want to be a fbs stepping stone but other than that let’s get the best we can get . Should have got Ccu should get JSU now.

JSUSoutherner
May 22nd, 2018, 01:56 AM
If we were the Ivy League or the patriot league I would say put up some academic requirements. We are not. I agree we don’t want to be a fbs stepping stone but other than that let’s get the best we can get . Should have got Ccu should get JSU now.
Yeah we aren't going FBS any time in the next 1000 years.

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2018, 06:26 AM

I was never really a fan of adding Coastal. I just didn't think there was any value added.

I see value added in Jacksonville State.

OL FU
May 22nd, 2018, 08:14 AM
I was never really a fan of adding Coastal. I just didn't think there was any value added.

I see value added in Jacksonville State.

Coastal - great road trip (besides my sis lives in Conway) and Baseballxthumbsupx