View Full Version : Most-played playoff matchups

AmsterBison
May 10th, 2018, 04:22 PM
Just a stupid off-season stat.

3 teams have played each other 4 times:

App State v Richmond
McNeese State v Montana
NDSU v Sam Houston State

20 teams have met up 3 times in the playoffs. Northern Iowa features in 1/4 of those matchups (Montana, Eastern Washington, Eastern Illinois, Marshall, and New Hampshire) and in all five matchups, either UNI won all three games or lost all three games.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 10th, 2018, 05:10 PM
I enjoy stupid off season stuff a whole lot. Good work.

Redbird 4th & short
May 10th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Hasn't SDSU gone to Fargo like 100 times in playoffs ... so spit balling here .. that would make them like about 0-100 ??

Seriously .. I think it is at least 3 times since 2012 ?

ST_Lawson
May 10th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Hasn't SDSU gone to Fargo like 100 times in playoffs ... so spit balling here .. that would make them like about 0-100 ??

Seems like it, but just '12, '14, and '16. There was once or twice in there that if they'd won, they would have played at NDSU the next round, but didn't make it that far.

TheKingpin28
May 10th, 2018, 07:17 PM
Seems like it, but just '12, '14, and '16. There was once or twice in there that if they'd won, they would have played at NDSU the next round, but didn't make it that far.

Those #JackBoys need to stop choking themselves. xlolx

VandalBasher
May 10th, 2018, 08:06 PM
The teams Idaho has met the most in the playoffs are:

3 x McNeese St.
2 x Montana

JacksFan40
May 10th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Those #JackBoys need to stop choking themselves. xlolx
It’s hard when choking runs in the sports program.

TheKingpin28
May 10th, 2018, 08:36 PM
It’s hard when choking runs in the sports program.You need to get on that Sioux program of lifting weights and getting angry. It seems to be working quite well for them. xlolx

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

melloware13
May 10th, 2018, 08:44 PM
If Northern Iowa had only beaten Lehigh in 2010, then they would have played Delaware for the third time in the playoffs. I figure the series would have moved to 3-0 Delaware

cx500d
May 10th, 2018, 08:44 PM
It’s hard when choking runs in the sports program.

If they didn’t try to run / drive and pound Joose at the same time....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
May 10th, 2018, 09:14 PM

I was gonna say they played each other in the playoffs more than 3 times if you included DII...but.............:D

JacksFan40
May 10th, 2018, 09:16 PM
I was gonna say they played each other in the playoffs more than 3 times if you included DII...but.............:D
Had a couple of years where we could’ve gotten to the playoffs, but choking and all.

Thumper 76
May 11th, 2018, 06:57 AM
If they didn’t try to run / drive and pound Joose at the same time....

We jerk and drive, good god man get it right. Throw in drinking JOOSE while shooting a pheasant out the window and your bound to end up in a ditch at least once. Haters gonna hate.

Thumper 76
May 11th, 2018, 06:59 AM

It’s more memorable since the matchups have been in the last 5-6 years. If you go off of percentage of playoff games it’s probably the winner though.

PaladinFan
May 11th, 2018, 07:17 AM
I don't know if this is a record, but Furman has 11 playoff appearances against schools that either were, had been, or would be in their conference.

WCU (83)
Georgia Southern (85, 88, 01)
William & Mary (89)
Marshall (88, 96)
Richmond (05)
App State (05)
Wofford (17)
Elon (17)

Bisonator
May 11th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Did they ever make the DII playoffs? I honestly can't remember. We played USD a few times, they were the better DII program.

BisonFan02
May 11th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Did they ever make the DII playoffs? I honestly can't remember. We played USD a few times, they were the better DII program.

0-1.....total....and I'd have to look up who they lost to.

EDIT: which, by the way, makes their D1 transition pretty incredible....and makes the Yotes look like complete imbeciles....even compared to UND. xlolx

Bisonator
May 11th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Yeah I just googled it. Lost to YSU in 1979, 51-7. So a typical performance from the bunnies...xlolx

BisonFan02
May 11th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Yeah I just googled it. Lost to YSU in 1979, 51-7. So a typical performance from the bunnies...xlolx

Got the first game jitters out of the way....primed for their next playoff appearance. They would know how to finish when the lights go on by then.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 11th, 2018, 01:20 PM
UNH vs the Patriot League

AmsterBison
May 11th, 2018, 01:59 PM

EDIT: which, by the way, makes their D1 transition pretty incredible....and makes the Yotes look like complete imbeciles....even compared to UND. xlolx

Well, USD has three accomplishments that UND does not: They beat a P5 school, won a playoff game, and beat NDSU (in one of NDSU's national championship seasons no less.) They also beat UND 45-7 last year.

BisonFan02
May 11th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Well, USD has three accomplishments that UND does not: They beat a P5 school, won a playoff game, and beat NDSU (in one of NDSU's national championship seasons no less.) They also beat UND 45-7 last year.

It's more about the delay making the jump. SDSU blew by USD.....NDSU aside, the Jacks could have had some deep runs....which considering their D2 history is pretty crazy.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2018, 04:10 PM
It's more about the delay making the jump. SDSU blew by USD.....NDSU aside, the Jacks could have had some deep runs....which considering their D2 history is pretty crazy.Don't worry, the Jacks will be back to sucking at football sooner than you think.

Daytripper
May 11th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Just a stupid off-season stat.

3 teams have played each other 4 times:

App State v Richmond
McNeese State v Montana
NDSU v Sam Houston State

20 teams have met up 3 times in the playoffs. Northern Iowa features in 1/4 of those matchups (Montana, Eastern Washington, Eastern Illinois, Marshall, and New Hampshire) and in all five matchups, either UNI won all three games or lost all three games.

The only (likely) possibility to make it 5 this upcoming season is SHSU v. NDSU.

PAllen
May 11th, 2018, 07:42 PM
If Northern Iowa had only beaten Lehigh in 2010, then they would have played Delaware for the third time in the playoffs. I figure the series would have moved to 3-0 Delaware

How many times has Lehigh played UD in the playoffs?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 11th, 2018, 07:52 PM
How many times has Lehigh played UD in the playoffs?

Twice, 2000 and 2010

Both games were at the Tub and saw UD win by similar scores. I was at both....

PAllen
May 12th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Twice, 2000 and 2010

Both games were at the Tub and saw UD win by similar scores. I was at both....

I was at the first one. Actually gave up Army Navy tickets to see that debacle. I figured with Lehigh's tendancy to face CAA teams in the playoffs it would have happened at least one other time. There's always this year I guess.

dgtw
May 12th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Jax State has played NDSU twice in Division II and once in FCS.

Thumper 76
May 13th, 2018, 02:27 AM
Don't worry, the Jacks will be back to sucking at football sooner than you think.

He fervently hoped xlolx

Same was said after we lost Berry and Minnet, then Zenner, now it’s Goedert and Weineke.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 13th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Don't worry, the Jacks will be back to sucking at football sooner than you think.

It wouldn't surprise me if they miss the playoffs this year.

I hope Coach K keeps the foot on the pedal for the Jacks game this year. TC is going to get a beating.

grizband
May 13th, 2018, 10:26 PM
In 13 playoff appearances between 1996-2008, Montana played a first round game against Southland Conference teams 7 times.

TheKingpin28
May 13th, 2018, 11:57 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they miss the playoffs this year.

I hope Coach K keeps the foot on the pedal for the Jacks game this year. TC is going to get a beating.We would hate for those #Jackboys to get loose, especially if they were on the Joose.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

cx500d
May 14th, 2018, 12:01 AM

I don’t ever remember SDSU in the playoffs in the Div2 heyday. USD was,of course, including the all ncc final in 1986.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk