PDA

View Full Version : PRINCETON ANNOUNCES TOP-RANKED RECRUITING CLASS IN FCS

World
May 10th, 2018, 01:32 PM
https://goprincetontigers.com/news/2018/5/8/football-team-announces-top-ranked-recruiting-class-in-fcs-surace-adds-detail-in-podcast.aspx?path=football

JSUSoutherner
May 10th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Cool story bro.

VandalBasher
May 10th, 2018, 01:52 PM
I counted, with my public education, 31 recruits. Did Princeton have 31 schollys to give? Or does the Ivy League operate off of different guidelines and rules than the 63 scholarship level?

FUBeAR
May 10th, 2018, 02:11 PM
I counted, with my public education, 31 recruits. Did Princeton have 31 schollys to give? Or does the Ivy League operate off of different guidelines and rules than the 63 scholarship level?Ivy League, like the Service Academies, and D3 give no athletics scholarships; thus, are not subject to (most) NCAA rules associated with “Recruited Athletes,” such as the 63 rule you cited, but also, I believe, includes the numbers they can bring in with each class & other roster limitations (85 / 95, etc.). The Service Academies do have limits on the number of Total Official Visits they can provide, but I think they have ‘special’ rules allowing them to bring in more prospects on Official visits than other D1 FBS programs. Not sure of the numbers or if that rule still is in place, but I know it used to be.

* My education is a blend of public & private. I can, therefore, with some certainty, confirm your count of 31 is accurate. xthumbsupx

Hammerhead
May 10th, 2018, 02:17 PM
Hero sports has 3 of the top 6 classes in the Ivy league. Too bad we won't get to see how they stack up on the national stage.

bulldog10jw
May 10th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Hero sports has 3 of the top 6 classes in the Ivy league. Too bad we won't get to see how they stack up on the national stage.

The hypocritical bias against post season football, when all other Ivy sports can participate, is a disgrace.

centennial
May 10th, 2018, 02:53 PM
I think the Ivy League has some good teams. I would love a Princeton or Harvard vs NDSU. Could be a nice ESPN U or 2 pickup on a slow weekend

POD Knows
May 10th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I think the Ivy League has some good teams. I would love a Princeton or Harvard vs NDSU. Could be a nice ESPN U or 2 pickup on a slow weekendI would love it too, it would be an epic beating, and then they could back to hockey, lacrosse or whatever else it is they play.

AmsterBison
May 10th, 2018, 03:01 PM
I really don't doubt that the Ivy League gets great recruits - they've got a lot of advantages.

Example: Penn recently got a verbal from a guy NDSU was after - he looks like an outstanding prospect: Ben Hoitink, an OL/OG from Slinger, WI.

From Bisonville:

Pretty sure his real name is Bruce Banner....

Dude looks rough and tough...

Watched a few minutes of his Hudl video: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5569258...e113276028ccca Safe to say he is not a "Gentle Ben.

centennial
May 10th, 2018, 03:58 PM
I would love it too, it would be an epic beating, and then they could back to hockey, lacrosse or whatever else it is they play.

Not sure it would be epic beating. Talent matters, some of the Ivy's are at the MAC, lower MW level same as NDSU. NDSU's player development and strength programs are superior. I could see the Ivy Champion hanging in with NDSU for a half, and then losing 34-20.

POD Knows
May 10th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Not sure it would be epic beating. Talent matters, some of the Ivy's are at the MAC, lower MW level same as NDSU. NDSU's player development and strength programs are superior. I could see the Ivy Champion hanging in with NDSU for a half, and then losing 34-20.Maybe the champ could keep it to two TD's but I doubt it. How would be ever know. As far as I am concerned it would be a 4 TD beat down against virtually every team in that conference unless they are willing to prove us wrong.

Laker
May 10th, 2018, 04:39 PM
The hypocritical bias against post season football, when all other Ivy sports can participate, is a disgrace.

Yes. Unfair to the athletes when you don't let them compete for a championship.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 10th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Maybe the champ could keep it to two TD's but I doubt it. How would be ever know. As far as I am concerned it would be a 4 TD beat down against virtually every team in that conference unless they are willing to prove us wrong.

NDSU would curb stomp every Ivy team by at least 4 TDs and the Ivy Champ or best team might hang around a little longer because Coach K took the foot off the pedal.

JacksFan40
May 10th, 2018, 08:36 PM
NDSU would curb stomp every Ivy team by at least 4 TDs and the Ivy Champ or best team might hang around a little longer because Coach K took the foot off the pedal.
Maybe, we’ll never know until they let their teams play in the playoffs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 10th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Maybe, we’ll never know until they let their teams play in the playoffs.

No argument from me. I wish NDSU would schedule a better Ivy FB team but they would not come to Fargo.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 10th, 2018, 09:37 PM

Depends on the year and the IL opponent. The top IL teams are really good. It is a damn shame they don't compete in the playoffs but that doesn't take away from the actual quality of their teams.

Yale plays Mercer this season which should be a good barometer nationally. The IL does have some pretty good CAA scalps in recent years....

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2018, 07:18 AM
No argument from me. I wish NDSU would schedule a better Ivy FB team but they would not come to Fargo.

It's less about Fargo and more about scheduling. Ivy teams don't begin until week three of the season, where the MVFC season begins in week four.

This also begs the question if NDSU would return the game. A home game with Robert Morris is easier to sell than a road trip to Yale.

Son of Eli
May 11th, 2018, 07:42 AM
In order to justify the travel the Ivy League schools prefer to schedule opponents in recruiting hot beds or where there is significant alumni. North Dakota doesn't fit either qualification. I think you are much more likely to see Sam Houston State or James Madison scheduled by an Ivy school rather than North Dakota State for that reason. Those are two opponents I would love to see Yale schedule. Another is Delaware. By recently scheduling Mercer and Richmond I think Yale is moving in the direction.

POD Knows
May 11th, 2018, 07:58 AM
It's less about Fargo and more about scheduling. Ivy teams don't begin until week three of the season, where the MVFC season begins in week four.

This also begs the question if NDSU would return the game. A home game with Robert Morris is easier to sell than a road trip to Yale.I absolutely think NDSU would do and H and H against a top Ivy program and I think you would be surprised how many people from out here would go to that game on the east coast.

Winterborn
May 11th, 2018, 08:03 AM
I absolutely think NDSU would do and H and H against a top Ivy program and I think you would be surprised how many people from out here would go to that game on the east coast.

I would go out for a game in a heart beat. Have always wanted to take in a game at some of the Ivy's and wander around campus.

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2018, 08:09 AM
I absolutely think NDSU would do and H and H against a top Ivy program and I think you would be surprised how many people from out here would go to that game on the east coast.

Still kind of wish Georgetown would have taken NDSU's offer of a game in 2010.

At a distance, Georgetown appears to be struggling to fill future schedules given the widening recruiting gap.

Go Green
May 11th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Not sure it would be epic beating. Talent matters, some of the Ivy's are at the MAC, lower MW level same as NDSU. NDSU's player development and strength programs are superior. I could see the Ivy Champion hanging in with NDSU for a half, and then losing 34-20.

The Ivy's last-place team beat UNH in 2016.

UNH got to the second round in the FCS playoffs that year.

RichH2
May 11th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Ivy League, like the Service Academies, and D3 give no athletics scholarships; thus, are not subject to (most) NCAA rules associated with “Recruited Athletes,” such as the 63 rule you cited, but also, I believe, includes the numbers they can bring in with each class & other roster limitations (85 / 95, etc.). The Service Academies do have limits on the number of Total Official Visits they can provide, but I think they have ‘special’ rules allowing them to bring in more prospects on Official visits than other D1 FBS programs. Not sure of the numbers or if that rule still is in place, but I know it used to be.

* My education is a blend of public & private. I can, therefore, with some certainty, confirm your count of 31 is accurate. xthumbsupx

Ivies are not subject to NCAA athletic aid limits since all their aid is need based. In reality Harvard Yale and Princeton with their extremely generous need policy for all students have a substantial advantage in recruiting. The only limitations for Ivies is their own rule limiting recruited players to no more than a rolling average of 30 over a 4 year period and the Academic Index.

centennial
May 11th, 2018, 10:36 AM
The Ivy's last-place team beat UNH in 2016.

UNH got to the second round in the FCS playoffs that year.

That's completely irrelevant. Missouri State almost took out, has taken out top Big Sky teams and still struggled in the MVFC. If this one off was correct then NDSU would be FBS champs and the Ivy League the new SEC. Clearly not the case.

Call your AD, and ask them to schedule a MVFC team. I think it would be fun to see.

Go Green
May 11th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Ivies are not subject to NCAA athletic aid limits since all their aid is need based. In reality Harvard Yale and Princeton with their extremely generous need policy for all students have a substantial advantage in recruiting. .

Dartmouth is closing in on them.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dartmouth-college-eliminating-student-loans-students-133416695.html

wapiti
May 11th, 2018, 11:51 AM
I think it was just a few years ago Yale traveled to California and beat up on Cal Poly. (I think it was Yale, sometimes my memory remembers things wrong.)

RichH2
May 11th, 2018, 12:02 PM
Dartmouth is closing in on them.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dartmouth-college-eliminating-student-loans-students-133416695.html
Good start. It is interesting to observe the "arms" race in the Ivies regarding athletic aid. So in time the armed will be HYP and Dartmouth. Who else will will escalate to fully "armed"?

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Good start. It is interesting to observe the "arms" race in the Ivies regarding athletic aid. So in time the armed will be HYP and Dartmouth. Who else will will escalate to fully "armed"?

The other five.

RichH2
May 11th, 2018, 01:08 PM
The other five.

Perhaps so but the current imbalance has lasted for years without much movement.

bulldog10jw
May 11th, 2018, 01:15 PM
I think it was just a few years ago Yale traveled to California and beat up on Cal Poly. (I think it was Yale, sometimes my memory remembers things wrong.)

It was 2013 and Yale beat Cal Poly, I believe 24-13. Wouldn't exactly say "beat up", though.

Go...gate
May 11th, 2018, 11:36 PM
I would love it too, it would be an epic beating, and then they could back to hockey, lacrosse or whatever else it is they play.

Don't be too sure.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Don't be too sure.Yea, I was just trolling but I don't really think the games would be that close, particularly if the games were in Fargo.

RichH2
May 12th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Don't be too sure.

Agreed. There is little doubt that the top of the Ivies could go out to Fargo and win. Any visitor to Fargo has a daunting task to get a W. Bison are very good and atmosphere can be overwhelming. Hard to tell much from a one off. While H-Y-P certainly has the talent, the Ivies lack the culture IMO to compete successfully in the MVFC.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Agreed. There is little doubt that the top of the Ivies could go out to Fargo and win. Any visitor to Fargo has a daunting task to get a W. Bison are very good and atmosphere can be overwhelming. Hard to tell much from a one off. While H-Y-P certainly has the talent, the Ivies lack the culture IMO to compete successfully in the MVFC.Let's not get carried away here, there is a lot of doubt that they could win.

PAllen
May 12th, 2018, 10:30 AM
Let's not get carried away here, there is a lot of doubt that they could win.

He said could, not would.

POD Knows
May 12th, 2018, 10:46 AM
He said could, not would.Yea, and I said could as well. There is a lot of doubt whether they could win or not.

Son of Eli
May 12th, 2018, 10:25 PM

That is correct. Yale beat Cal Poly handily 24-10 in 2013. Cal Poly was ranked #18 at the time.

clenz
May 14th, 2018, 10:06 AM
They were 2-2 at the time and one of those wins was a PFL team.

They finished the season 6-6

Not really that good of a win.

Hammerhead
May 14th, 2018, 11:20 AM
NDSU is travelling to Delaware in 2019. I'm much rather travel to the Northeast than make another trip to Eastern Washington or Weber State.

This also begs the question if NDSU would return the game. A home game with Robert Morris is easier to sell than a road trip to Yale.

Son of Eli
May 15th, 2018, 06:37 AM
They were 2-2 at the time and one of those wins was a PFL team.

They finished the season 6-6

Not really that good of a win.

And Yale finished 5-5 (3-4 in Ivy play), so the win accurately demonstrated the relative strength of The Ivy League vis-a-vis The Big Sky.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 15th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I remember a pretty bad Citadel team beating a Princeton team (mid-level Ivy that year) 38-7 in that infamous game where some cadets got into an altercation with some in the Princeton marching band.

Princeton's recruiting class is #1 probably because they signed Brevin White, who BTW got a late offer from Alabama. The Ivies do get their fair share of players that would be considered blue-chippers in the FCS and G5, but top to bottom they just can't compete with the top 10 of the FCS.

BTW..NDSU's recruiting class ranking is 134. That's laughably low considering they usually have more talent than just about all of the FCS and a significant number of G5 teams, too.

centennial
May 15th, 2018, 11:09 AM
I remember a pretty bad Citadel team beating a Princeton team (mid-level Ivy that year) 38-7 in that infamous game where some cadets got into an altercation with some in the Princeton marching band.

Princeton's recruiting class is #1 probably because they signed Brevin White, who BTW got a late offer from Alabama. The Ivies do get their fair share of players that would be considered blue-chippers in the FCS and G5, but top to bottom they just can't compete with the top 10 of the FCS.

BTW..NDSU's recruiting class ranking is 134. That's laughably low considering they usually have more talent than just about all of the FCS and a significant number of G5 teams, too.

It's not that simple. NDSU recruits to play in the system. And also does heavy recruiting from football camps. Just because a recruit doesn't have enough money to go to enough camps, or stars, or is a multi sport athlete doesn't mean NDSU won't recruit them.

Our high end recruits are getting poached off by P5 teams, rarely G5 teams. I would say the level of talent could be about average for a G5 team. But we would never know, because unlike Alabama or Ohio State a NDSU offer doesn't give you an automatic 3-4 star. Sometimes a FCS only offer will drop you from 3 to 2, or 2 to nr. Add to this the FCOA, we should start seeing results from that next year.

clenz
May 15th, 2018, 11:43 AM
And Yale finished 5-5 (3-4 in Ivy play), so the win accurately demonstrated the relative strength of The Ivy League vis-a-vis The Big Sky.

That’s not how that actually works but okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 15th, 2018, 12:41 PM
It's not that simple. NDSU recruits to play in the system. And also does heavy recruiting from football camps. Just because a recruit doesn't have enough money to go to enough camps, or stars, or is a multi sport athlete doesn't mean NDSU won't recruit them.

Our high end recruits are getting poached off by P5 teams, rarely G5 teams. I would say the level of talent could be about average for a G5 team. But we would never know, because unlike Alabama or Ohio State a NDSU offer doesn't give you an automatic 3-4 star. Sometimes a FCS only offer will drop you from 3 to 2, or 2 to nr. Add to this the FCOA, we should start seeing results from that next year.

Everybody who can't fill up their rosters with high school all-Americans is "recruiting to a system".

Your last sentence is correct. I don't have much doubt that if the 247 or Scout guys were evaluating recruits and were blinded to who has offered a recruit, the rankings would look different.

Not only is there probably a bias to who is offering someone, but often these websites have different people doing different conferences. Georgia Southern and App State have both boat-raced MAC champions in the Mobile Bowl that had higher-rated players across the board on their rosters.

Go Green
May 15th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Princeton's recruiting class is #1 probably because they signed Brevin White, who BTW got a late offer from Alabama.

White is definitely a big part of it. Princeton's announcement makes it seem like they are going to break the Ivy record for consecutive wins. But they just graduated a QB who had an SEC offer and was Ivy MVP. And they still finished seventh in the league. I'm not sure how much more production they are expecting from White. Offense was not Princeton's problem last season...

Son of Eli
May 16th, 2018, 04:02 AM

That was actually the 2nd game of the series, which was at Princeton. The band incident happened the prior year at The Citadel in 2008. Princeton finished the 2009 season with a losing record of 4-6, 3-4.

The 2008 Princeton team, which also lost to The Citadel, was even worse. They finished 2-5 in Ivy League play. The Princeton coach was fired after the 2009 season.

Go Green
May 16th, 2018, 06:57 AM
The 2008 Princeton team, which also lost to The Citadel, was even worse. They finished 2-5 in Ivy League play. The Princeton coach was fired after the 2009 season.

And then things REALLY got bad. Princeton went 2-18 the next two years, often getting blown away.

To the new (and current) coach's credit, things started clicking in year 3 and he's won two titles since.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 18th, 2018, 04:57 PM
And then things REALLY got bad. Princeton went 2-18 the next two years, often getting blown away.

To the new (and current) coach's credit, things started clicking in year 3 and he's won two titles since.

Foul on the play!!! Refer to Rule 113-B

No Ivy league poster can refer to an Ivy league team winning a title unless

1. It's before WWII
2. Won and Titles is separated by an asterisks that clearly states Ivy League
3. It's being used sarcastically to make fun of the HBCU "National Championship"

xdrunkyx:D

Go Green
May 18th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Foul on the play!!! Refer to Rule 113-B

No Ivy league poster can refer to an Ivy league team winning a title unless

1. It's before WWII
2. Won and Titles is separated by an asterisks that clearly states Ivy League
3. It's being used sarcastically to make fun of the HBCU "National Championship"

xdrunkyx:D

Duly noted. Will take my penalty yards and plan accordingly for the next plays.

:)

World
May 19th, 2018, 04:55 AM

Actually, no, not just the #1 ranked player....see this:

"Princeton had 10 recruits listed among the group; the Tigers also led the FCS with four Top-25 recruits and two Top-10 recruits (#1 Brevin White and #8 Tola Banjoka)."

and some of the other FBS schools that offered the other guy, #8 ranked Tola Banjoka, including Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina and Wisconsin:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/tola-banjoko-181840#school-interests

Ivytalk
May 20th, 2018, 06:41 AM
If World is happy, then, by jingo, I’m happy.xrotatehx

bulldog10jw
May 20th, 2018, 09:33 PM
If World is happy, then, by jingo, I’m happy.xrotatehx

As long as he is not happy in November. :D

ngineer
May 20th, 2018, 09:42 PM
I counted, with my public education, 31 recruits. Did Princeton have 31 schollys to give? Or does the Ivy League operate off of different guidelines and rules than the 63 scholarship level?

Ivies under different rules. The "Big 3" have substantial financial aid packages that roughly give a full ride to any student admitted whose family income is under $150K--which covers a hell of a lot of families.

Go Green
May 21st, 2018, 09:34 AM
Ivies under different rules. The "Big 3" have substantial financial aid packages that roughly give a full ride to any student admitted whose family income is under $150K--which covers a hell of a lot of families.

My understanding is that Dartmouth and Penn aren't too far behind the Big Three in financial aid. Brown and Cornell aren't as good. Not sure where precisely Columbia falls on the spectrum...

Go Green
May 21st, 2018, 09:37 AM
Actually, no, not just the #1 ranked player....see this:

"Princeton had 10 recruits listed among the group; the Tigers also led the FCS with four Top-25 recruits and two Top-10 recruits (#1 Brevin White and #8 Tola Banjoka)."

and some of the other FBS schools that offered the other guy, #8 ranked Tola Banjoka, including Georgia, Missouri, North Carolina and Wisconsin:

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/tola-banjoko-181840#school-interests

Here's a trip down memory lane:

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2008/01/11/meyers-ivy

Folks can be forgiven if they don't remember Meyers. He was injured early in his freshman season, and then opted to concentrate on lacrosse thereafter.

IBleedYellow
May 21st, 2018, 10:15 AM

Seems about par for the course for us. The ranking sites are a joke. Bring Clenz in to talk about this.

BisonFan02
May 21st, 2018, 10:52 AM
Not too many upper Midwest kids getting "ranked" and show up as N/A....Im sure that hurts the score. We obviously can't recruit the caliber player like a powerhouse Georgia Southern.

TheKingpin28
May 21st, 2018, 12:19 PM
Not too many upper Midwest kids getting "ranked" and show up as N/A....Im sure that hurts the score. We obviously can't recruit the caliber player like a powerhouse Georgia Southern.

The problem is that they lack that Southern Speed.

WeAreThePride
May 22nd, 2018, 12:59 PM
The problem is that they lack that Southern Speed.
#ButtAuburn