PDA

View Full Version : "The Game" 2018 Sold Out After four days

Go Green
May 2nd, 2018, 01:38 PM
Per several outlets, the Harvard-Yale game in November (being played at Fenway Park) sold out a mere four days after tickets were made available.

Impressive.

ASU33
May 2nd, 2018, 01:53 PM
Very Impressive!xbowx

bonarae
May 2nd, 2018, 02:25 PM
Wow. Considering that the popularity of Ivy football has a whole has gone down over the past few decades... xsighx

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2018, 03:53 PM
Per several outlets, the Harvard-Yale game in November (being played at Fenway Park) sold out a mere four days after tickets were made available.

Impressive.Planning a trip to New Haven this Fall to catch Mercer @ Yale. Should we be expecting a similar sellout of all 62,246 seats at the Yale Bowl?

Go Green
May 2nd, 2018, 04:21 PM
Planning a trip to New Haven this Fall to catch Mercer @ Yale. Should we be expecting a similar sellout of all 62,246 seats at the Yale Bowl?

No. Assuming good weather, I'd place the over/under for that game's attendance at 12,000.

Have fun!!!

Son of Eli
May 2nd, 2018, 07:13 PM
Planning a trip to New Haven this Fall to catch Mercer @ Yale. Should we be expecting a similar sellout of all 62,246 seats at the Yale Bowl?

No. Assuming good weather, I'd place the over/under for that game's attendance at 12,000.

Have fun!!!

Go Green is right. Sorry to burst your bubble. However, I'll take the over assuming good weather. Regardless of attendance, it will still be a great day game atmosphere. Looking forward to welcoming Mercer to New Haven. Don't forget to visit Pepe's or Sally's for the best pizza in the country. If you like beer go to The Hops Company in nearby Derby, Ct. It's a beer garden and just a 10 minute drive from the Yale Bowl.

Go Green
May 3rd, 2018, 02:15 PM
Of course, I'd be delighted if there was a good crowd for the Y-M game. It's just that I've had a bad run of over-estimating crowds at Ivy games and I need to adjust my predictions to reflect reality trends.

If the Y-M game gets over 12,000, it will be because Mercer travels well.

FUBeAR
May 4th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Of course, I'd be delighted if there was a good crowd for the Y-M game. It's just that I've had a bad run of over-estimating crowds at Ivy games and I need to adjust my predictions to reflect reality trends.

If the Y-M game gets over 12,000, it will be because Mercer travels well.Mercer fans have traveled in solid numbers to Georgia Tech (many Alums are Atlanta Metro residents; so closer than a home game in Macon for a large contingent), Auburn, and Alabama.

My sense is the Alums are excited to play an Ivy & more than a few are planning to work in a NYC visit, but New Haven is a LONG way from Georgia and the SEC. Just spitballing, but I think about a thousand wearing orange & black, unless they put together some kind of travel plan for students (which isn’t out of the question), would be considered a strong traveling effort by Mercer peeps.

They will be loud though - Outnumbered Bears fans have clearly outyelled ‘crowds’ in far-away San Diego & Poughkeepsie (Marist Fans May disagree - home stands were sold out & not a great day on the field for Mercer) and they also drowned out the famously rowdy Duke Hoops fans in an NCAA tourney game in Raleigh (Duke’s backyard) a few years back. About 10 busloads of students from Macon may have tilted that scale a bit, however.

Should be fun, regardless.

PAllen
May 4th, 2018, 03:42 PM
It's good to see these seldom played "rivalry" games finally catching on to playing in MLB stadiums.

Bisonoline
May 4th, 2018, 06:45 PM
It's good to see these seldom played "rivalry" games finally catching on to playing in MLB stadiums.

MLB stadiums are terrible for watching FB.

DFW HOYA
May 5th, 2018, 09:13 AM

Well, NFL stadiums are terrible for watching baseball, too.
https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/lacoliseumtop_16.jpg

bulldog10jw
May 5th, 2018, 03:47 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about tickets being available. 10K if the weather is nice, 2k if it rains.

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 8th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about tickets being available. 10K if the weather is nice, 2k if it rains.

What would you guess you get for a crowd when Maine plays you guys on 9/29? Maine should bring a decent crowd as we have a large percentage of players from the NY/NJ area as well as a lot if alumni in the area. Also no start time for the game would you guess a 1pm kickoff as well?

ericsaid
May 8th, 2018, 10:58 AM

Georgia State's transition of Turner Field turned out pretty well.

Son of Eli
May 8th, 2018, 06:39 PM
What would you guess you get for a crowd when Maine plays you guys on 9/29? Maine should bring a decent crowd as we have a large percentage of players from the NY/NJ area as well as a lot if alumni in the area. Also no start time for the game would you guess a 1pm kickoff as well?

That game is slated to be "Youth Day" which usually draws in the low to mid teens. Plus it will be the first home game of the year. If the weather is good I think 15,000. I will say start time will definitely be 1:00.

bulldog10jw
May 9th, 2018, 10:05 AM

15k is a long shot. Possible if Maine really travels well, but probably too early in the season. Fair weather Yale fans will want to see what kind of a team Yale has before showing up for games. Good weather = 10-12k. I hope Son of Eli is right and I'm wrong.

Did you know that Maine was the 2nd opponent ever to play in the Bowl. The first game in the Bowl was against Harvard to end the 1914 season. The second game in the Bowl was against Maine to open the 1915 season.

Son of Eli
May 9th, 2018, 07:27 PM
15k is a long shot. Possible if Maine really travels well, but probably too early in the season. Fair weather Yale fans will want to see what kind of a team Yale has before showing up for games. Good weather = 10-12k. I hope Son of Eli is right and I'm wrong.

Did you know that Maine was the 2nd opponent ever to play in the Bowl. The first game in the Bowl was against Harvard to end the 1914 season. The second game in the Bowl was against Maine to open the 1915 season.

I agree 15k is a long shot, but Yale has drawn over 15k and 18k for recent Youth Days against Cornell. On the other hand, the 2016 Youth Day against Colgate and the 2014 Youth Day against Lehigh drew less than 10k. I agree that how Maine travels will be the biggest factor and that's a wild card. 1915 was a long time ago. However, another factor I considered in predicting 15k was this is the 3rd game of the season, not the first. That means fan interest in the team should be building, especially if Yale wins its first two games. Also, this will be the first home opener for Yale following an unshared Ivy title in 37 years. I think that should pique some interest. Finally, Yale will have their first new Athletic Director in 24 years. With that change I expect there will be some new marketing tactics employed to boost attendance.

Ivytalk
May 9th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Fenway seats how many for FB? Maybe 35,000 with a shoehorn? Nice media gambit, but The Game will be back at the Bowl in ‘19. Maybe Murph will announce his retirement.

Son of Eli
May 10th, 2018, 06:22 AM
Fenway seats how many for FB? Maybe 35,000 with a shoehorn? Nice media gambit, but The Game will be back at the Bowl in ‘19. Maybe Murph will announce his retirement.

Fenway holds at least 38,686 for football, which was the announced attendance of the Notre Dame-Boston College game. With temporary bleachers in the end zone Harvard stadium only holds 31,662, which was the announced attendance of the 2016 rendition of The Game. So even with the current configurations permanently moving the game to Fenway makes economic sense. This is especially true when one considers the inflated ticket prices they can charge for Fenway. I paid $125 for each of my eight tickets.

Furthmore, the stated reason for moving The Game to Fenway this year is so that Harvard can begin renovations to Harvard Stadium. These renovations will reduce the seating capacity of Harvard Stadium to a mere 22,000. So sadly, I think we've seen the last Yale-Harvard game at Harvard Stadium for quite a while. Of course, The Game will continue to be played at the Yale Bowl every other year.

DFW HOYA
May 10th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Of course, The Game will continue to be played at the Yale Bowl every other year.

Until the Elis announce a game at Yankee Stadium.

bulldog10jw
May 10th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Furthmore, the stated reason for moving The Game to Fenway this year is so that Harvard can begin renovations to Harvard Stadium. These renovations will reduce the seating capacity of Harvard Stadium to a mere 22,000. So sadly, I think we've seen the last Yale-Harvard game at Harvard Stadium for quite a while. Of course, The Game will continue to be played at the Yale Bowl every other year.

Serious consideration should be given to playing Yale-Harvard at the Bowl every year.

Go Green
May 11th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Serious consideration should be given to playing Yale-Harvard at the Bowl every year.

Don't hold your breath on that one, friend. :) People are grumbling about having the Ivy Basketball tournament at the Palestra.

bulldog10jw
May 11th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Don't hold your breath on that one, friend. :) People are grumbling about having the Ivy Basketball tournament at the Palestra.

Obviously, it unrealistic. I wonder what the ticket prices would be for a game at the Stadium with a capacity of 22k

CenMEBlackBearFan
May 11th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Nice trivia about Maine being 2nd team ever to play in the Bowl. Was surprised to see Maine had played there another 8 times between 1913 and 1937, see attached link on the history of Maine & Yale, really looking forward to this trip.
https://www.pressherald.com/2015/10/17/after-78-years-umaine-faces-yale-again-on-the-gridiron/

Ivytalk
May 13th, 2018, 08:54 PM
Fenway holds at least 38,686 for football, which was the announced attendance of the Notre Dame-Boston College game. With temporary bleachers in the end zone Harvard stadium only holds 31,662, which was the announced attendance of the 2016 rendition of The Game. So even with the current configurations permanently moving the game to Fenway makes economic sense. This is especially true when one considers the inflated ticket prices they can charge for Fenway. I paid $125 for each of my eight tickets.

22,000? That flat-out sucks. Even the new Princeton stadium holds 28,000. When I went to Harvard, they managed to squeeze in about 41,000 seats for the Yale game with temporary bleachers. At one point, the place held over 57,000.

Go Green
May 14th, 2018, 07:14 AM
22,000? That flat-out sucks. Even the new Princeton stadium holds 28,000.

And they've only used those 28,000 seats a handful of times when the current Princeton Stadium opened twenty years ago.

Dartmouth downsized Memorial Field from 23,000 to 11,000 a few years ago. And we've sold out the place just once since then.

Son of Eli
May 15th, 2018, 06:48 AM
And they've only used those 28,000 seats a handful of times when the current Princeton Stadium opened twenty years ago.

Dartmouth downsized Memorial Field from 23,000 to 11,000 a few years ago. And we've sold out the place just once since then.

Who was that sell out against? xchinscratchx