PDA

View Full Version : New NCAA FB uniform rules

Laker
May 2nd, 2018, 07:35 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcEaeZhXUAcwsrT.jpg
Entire knee must be coveredStomach may not be exposed Back plate may not be exposedT shirt may not protrude below jersey

clenz
May 2nd, 2018, 07:41 AM
Good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEAR
May 2nd, 2018, 07:58 AM
Whatever. xcoffeex Like I'm going to tell that 6'4" 340 lb Oline guy he needs to tuck his fat into his pants. xcoffeexxlolx Oh no...you're knee is showing....xcoffeex Please tell me this is joke. I wonder if any of these smucks have played football in 95 degree heat with on field temps over 130....seriously doubt it. Tell me this isn't real.

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2018, 08:15 AM
Whatever. xcoffeex Like I'm going to tell that 6'4" 340 lb Oline guy he needs to tuck his fat into his pants. xcoffeexxlolx Oh no...you're knee is showing....xcoffeex Please tell me this is joke. I wonder if any of these smucks have played football in 95 degree heat with on field temps over 130....seriously doubt it. Tell me this isn't real.

Looks pretty real to me...at least the knee pad part...

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/JAN2018_MFB_Rules_Pants_Reminder20180103.pdf (http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/JAN2018_MFB_Rules_Pants_Reminder20180103.pdf)

...and speaking as a former OLineman, who played in the Deep South on many 95+ days, often on paper thin indoor/outdoor “carpet” sitting atop a bed of hot concrete or asphalt; if all these rules are real & to be enforced, here are my thoughts...

https://78.media.tumblr.com/8b98f29251e8b4b30502afa8c20c1e48/tumblr_inline_ns6p7zSBsX1sppc86_400.gif

McNeese72
May 2nd, 2018, 08:16 AM
Hmmmm.......I think some of these were rules sometime in past but then they went away. Now they are back.

Doc

Bison56
May 2nd, 2018, 08:23 AM
Covering the stomach is going to be a problem for JSU.

bonarae
May 2nd, 2018, 08:49 AM
Okay, players need to stick to the rules. They were becoming too revealing on the field, especially in the FBS level...

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2018, 09:06 AM
I played football in Southwest Georgia (back when there were two-a-days) in sweltering August heat. I wore my uniform every day like it was supposed to be worn. So did everyone else on the team.

Yeah, its hot. Yeah, it feels better to roll your sleeves over your shoulder pads. Yes, you can run faster without knee pads. The thing is, that equipment is designed for a reason. It isn't designed to necessarily make you the most comfortable. It is designed to protect you.

I think this is a useful rule. It won't take long for teams to get on board when one or two of their star players are removed from the game because they don't have a compliant uniform. Now they just have to enforce it.

kdinva
May 2nd, 2018, 09:14 AM
.... The thing is, that equipment is designed for a reason. It isn't designed to necessarily make you the most comfortable. It is designed to protect you.

I think this is a useful rule. It won't take long for teams to get on board when one or two of their star players are removed from the game because they don't have a compliant uniform. Now they just have to enforce it.

+1

BEAR
May 2nd, 2018, 09:27 AM
I'm more concerned about those shredded rubber pellets roasting in the 135 degree heat all day giving off a toxic fumes and fat players sucking them in than I am seeing some fat guy's knee.

Bisonoline
May 2nd, 2018, 09:48 AM
yeah i was pretty tired of seeing some fat ass with his gut hanging out also. If you arent in shape enough to wear the uniform the way its supposed to be worn then lose some freaking weight and get in shape.
On another note the materials used in this day and age are way lighter and can breath better than back when I played. I remember being in high school and we had those real heavy jerseys and pants an nobody dared trying to alter them. Then when I went to college they had the mesh jerseys. Wow what a difference. Now the mesh is too hot?????

MR. CHICKEN
May 2nd, 2018, 09:58 AM
I'm more concerned about those shredded rubber pellets roasting in the 135 degree heat all day giving off a toxic fumes and fat players sucking them in than I am seeing some fat guy's knee.

......WHAA...'BOUT.......CHEMICALS LEECHIN' FROM....PLASTIC BOTTLES @...FIELD TEMP..........INTA...DUH.....GATORADE.......xconfu sedxxeekxxconfusedx.....AWQ!

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2018, 10:00 AM
yeah i was pretty tired of seeing some fat ass with his gut hanging out also. If you arent in shape enough to wear the uniform the way its supposed to be worn then lose some freaking weight and get in shape.
On another note the materials used in this day and age are way lighter and can breath better than back when I played. I remember being in high school and we had those real heavy jerseys and pants an nobody dared trying to alter them. Then when I went to college they had the mesh jerseys. Wow what a difference. Now the mesh is too hot?????Yep - our practice jerseys were tightly woven, heavy white thick cotton with black numbers & 3/4 (over the elbow) sleeves. They each weighed about 10 lbs when soaking wet - which they always were. HOT!

PaladinFan
May 2nd, 2018, 10:09 AM
On another note the materials used in this day and age are way lighter and can breath better than back when I played. I remember being in high school and we had those real heavy jerseys and pants an nobody dared trying to alter them. Then when I went to college they had the mesh jerseys. Wow what a difference. Now the mesh is too hot?????

We had mesh practice jerseys, but would still play teams that used them as game jerseys.

Those mesh jerseys would routinely find ways to rip off part of my finger nail.

Daytripper
May 2nd, 2018, 11:17 AM
Who wants to join me in starting a business manufacturing garters for fat linemen?

PAllen
May 2nd, 2018, 01:33 PM
Nothing new here, just a return of the old for some. A definite step in the right direction, but I'll believe it when it actually gets enforced.

IBleedYellow
May 2nd, 2018, 02:01 PM
I want to see this actually enforced.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OhioHen
May 2nd, 2018, 02:28 PM
xflaggedx

The ball carrier's knee became exposed during the play. Five yard penalty from the spot of the "foul."

Just waiting for a TD in the National Championship Game to be called back due to enforcement of this rule.

Mocs123
May 2nd, 2018, 02:51 PM
Covering the stomach is going to be a problem for JSU.

JSU has a nose tackle a few years ago with a huge gut hanging out. It would have been pretty comical except I remember him as a dang good football player.

melloware13
May 2nd, 2018, 03:37 PM
xflaggedx

The ball carrier's knee became exposed during the play. Five yard penalty from the spot of the "foul."

Just waiting for a TD in the National Championship Game to be called back due to enforcement of this rule.

I'd think if it goes from compliant to non-compliant during a play that the player would be given the opportunity to fix it, as long as it's not a perpetual issue.

FUBeAR
May 2nd, 2018, 03:47 PM
JSU has a nose tackle a few years ago with a huge gut hanging out. It would have been pretty comical except I remember him as a dang good football player.

Noncompliant
https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/caleb-lawrence.jpg?quality=95&w=650&h=527

Compliant
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BwiVCxbCcAA_CzJ.jpg

JayJ79
May 2nd, 2018, 04:51 PM
I'd think if it goes from compliant to non-compliant during a play that the player would be given the opportunity to fix it, as long as it's not a perpetual issue.

There are rules in place to cover what happens if a player's helmet comes off. But are there rules for any other sort of equipment that becomes dislodged/torn/etc. during the play?

taper
May 2nd, 2018, 06:46 PM
I think every year I see someone tackled by a defender grabbing their shirt tail. Often at the end of a 1 on 1 race that would have been a big play otherwise. Always wondered why coaches didn't force receivers to tuck them in for this.

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2018, 06:11 AM
There are rules in place to cover what happens if a player's helmet comes off. But are there rules for any other sort of equipment that becomes dislodged/torn/etc. during the play?

My guess is the rule has always been the rule, but it has just been increasingly ignored over the years. I know in Georgia high school ball (I presume it is still the case), a noncompliant player has to leave the field until the equipment issue is resolved.

I expect most college teams have (or if they don't, will now) a lot of extra equipment on hand during the game. The equipment guys are usually masters at quickly changing out a facemask, repairing cleats, etc.

Good question on jerseys though. Personal experience, but during a game my senior year of high school I cut my wrist on an opposing player's helmet. I was a two way player and rarely came off the field. Over time, I kept wiping blood off on my white road jersey. At some point the referee required me to leave the field (apparently "no blood on jerseys" is a rule). I managed to switch jerseys with an injured player who was on crutches on the sideline. One coach switched the uniforms while the trainer bandaged the wrist. I missed a couple of plays. Left the field #71, returned #74. We didn't keep "spare" jerseys, but someone not playing was going to have to sacrifice their sideline duds for a guy actively in the game.

OhioHen
May 3rd, 2018, 06:43 AM
My guess is the rule has always been the rule, but it has just been increasingly ignored over the years. I know in Georgia high school ball (I presume it is still the case), a noncompliant player has to leave the field until the equipment issue is resolved.

I expect most college teams have (or if they don't, will now) a lot of extra equipment on hand during the game. The equipment guys are usually masters at quickly changing out a facemask, repairing cleats, etc.

Good question on jerseys though. Personal experience, but during a game my senior year of high school I cut my wrist on an opposing player's helmet. I was a two way player and rarely came off the field. Over time, I kept wiping blood off on my white road jersey. At some point the referee required me to leave the field (apparently "no blood on jerseys" is a rule). I managed to switch jerseys with an injured player who was on crutches on the sideline. One coach switched the uniforms while the trainer bandaged the wrist. I missed a couple of plays. Left the field #71, returned #74. We didn't keep "spare" jerseys, but someone not playing was going to have to sacrifice their sideline duds for a guy actively in the game.

You should have wiped the blood on the jersey of the opposition's star player.

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2018, 07:54 AM
You should have wiped the blood on the jersey of the opposition's star player.

1. They wore red home jerseys, which would have defeated the strategy.

2. Their best player was one of the top HS recruits in the county and went on to start as a OLB/DE at UGA. He was 6'4 230 and could have thrown me into the parking lot. If I could have ever caught up with him, he probably would have.

WeAreThePride
May 3rd, 2018, 09:24 AM
How exactly does this improve the sport?

PaladinFan
May 3rd, 2018, 10:45 AM
How exactly does this improve the sport?

It requires players to wear proper padding and uniforms that fit.

Football has an "injury problem." So much so that players are fleeing the game at younger levels. If the NCAA can reduce injury by just enforcing small rules like this that are already on the books (like wearing knee pads and hip pads), what is the risk?

cx500d
May 3rd, 2018, 01:06 PM

Your job isn’t to bleed for your team, it’s to make the other team’s players bleed for their team.

Thumper 76
May 3rd, 2018, 02:11 PM
xflaggedx

They’ll enforce it before the play starts and usually give the guys a warning. If they throw a flag it will be before the play starts. This isn’t a hard rule to follow. Get a jersey that fits right and don’t roll your pant legs up. Poor souls, having to follow such difficult rules!

Sycamore62
May 3rd, 2018, 02:57 PM
Its about time they fixed this. I know when Im sitting at home getting ready to go to a game, all I can think about is whether their shirts will be tucked in and their knees covered. when I see those back plates, all I can think is "pussy".

The worst part about this is they are all going to have to do a runway sashay to show they have everything perfect.

FUBeAR
May 4th, 2018, 12:36 AM
The worst part about this is they are all going to have to do a runway sashay to show they have everything perfect.Refs came around during pre-game warmups 40 years ago and ‘felt us up’ to make sure we all had hip pads & tail pads. Some of them seemed to REALLY enjoy that part of their jobs. We all had cut ours to barely ‘peek out’ of the top of our pants & only go down the width of our belts (which threaded thru the 3 pads), but we had ‘em.

They’ll get ‘em compliant before the game starts & we fans won’t even notice...except we won’t see Football Players out there wearing women’s volleyball shorts, nor with giant guts flopping around, nor with sloppy, stretched-out, 10 year old pajama tops hanging out of their $250 skin-tight ‘tech-fit’ jerseys.

Sycamore62
May 4th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Refs came around during pre-game warmups 40 years ago and ‘felt us up’ to make sure we all had hip pads & tail pads. Some of them seemed to REALLY enjoy that part of their jobs. We all had cut ours to barely ‘peek out’ of the top of our pants & only go down the width of our belts (which threaded thru the 3 pads), but we had ‘em.

They’ll get ‘em compliant before the game starts & we fans won’t even notice...except we won’t see Football Players out there wearing women’s volleyball shorts, nor with giant guts flopping around, nor with sloppy, stretched-out, 10 year old pajama tops hanging out of their $250 skin-tight ‘tech-fit’ jerseys.

in the mid 90's I was never worried about pads slowing me down because if my speed was the issue we were screwed. im pretty sure a portion of my gut was hanging out though.

that was when celebrations were the big issue and we had to watch the OK/Not OK video.

Herder
May 4th, 2018, 06:42 PM
The no tummy rule should hurt OL recruiting at IL State

cx500d
May 5th, 2018, 11:15 AM
The no tummy rule should hurt OL recruiting at IL State

Where are they going to go- JSU?

Bisonoline
May 5th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Where are they going to go- JSU?

Bubbas tent and awning is about to get a cash infusion.xlolx

NorthChuckSouth
May 6th, 2018, 07:53 PM
I understand the trying to make the sport safer part of it but not being able to have your shirt out? i don't agree with that. I finished playing a few years ago and I would cut knee pads that were barely a half of an inch thick and wore them well above my knee because it's more comfortable that way. I liked having a longer shirt out from underneath my jersey because I like the way it looked and felt.. more of a Deon Sanders look good feel good play good attitude. Seems minor, i get it, but to each their own

Sycamore62
May 7th, 2018, 08:27 AM
It's almost if they are literally calling out the Sycamores' road uniforms with this picture.

Hammerhead
September 15th, 2018, 09:02 PM
The officials in Fargo didn't seem to care about exposed T-shirts.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28820&stc=1

cx500d
September 15th, 2018, 09:40 PM
The officials in Fargo didn't seem to care about exposed T-shirts.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28820&stc=1

That #76 looked like he was wearing a dress from the front...looked really stupid and even fatter then he would have otherwise.