PDA

View Full Version : Who got left out?

VandalBasher
April 30th, 2018, 09:42 AM
I have seen threads for The Greatest D1-AA/FCS team evah and the worst teams to win it all.

Which teams were the most deserving of the FCS playoffs got left out?
From 2017, EWU (7-4) and Austin Peay (8-4) come to mind.

Mocs123
April 30th, 2018, 10:45 AM
Probably not the biggest all time snub, but Chattanooga getting left out in 2013 was pretty sad.

Lion1983
April 30th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Didn't JSU get left out last season? Oh, wait, nevermind.

PaladinFan
April 30th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Probably not the biggest all time snub, but Chattanooga getting left out in 2013 was pretty sad.

I mean, kinda sorta not really. It was bitter for UTC, but they were not really "snubbed" in my opinion.

3 teams tied for first place in the SoCon at 8-4. None were particularly impressive. The highest ranked team was Samford at #19.

Furman was the autobid. Samford beat UTC head to head. So, of three good-not-great selections, they took the team they had to (Furman) and the team that beat the other head to head (Samford). UTC was probably the best team of the three, but failed to get it done on the field. Had UTC made a chip shot kick in Birmingham they likely would have been the only SoCon rep.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure what JSU would have to do to get snubbed. They literally have the easiest path to the national title of any team in the country.

ElCid
April 30th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Is there any question? 2002 Wofford, 9-3, comes to mind. Talk about being woofed. They went 2-1 against playoff teams in the regular season ( Furman, App St, Ga So). Otherwise, lost to Furman, a pretty good 6-6 VMI squad, and Maryland. Hmm. As much as I detest the ankle biters, that one always made me shake my head.

katss07
April 30th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Austin Peay this past year wasn’t really one where I thought they “should have been in”. McNeese had about the same case as APSU. Eastern Washington comes to mind. Over the past 4 or so years though, the bubble has been really weak. I can’t think of any recent team that got completely hosed.

JSUSoutherner
April 30th, 2018, 12:51 PM

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 30th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Is there any question? 2002 Wofford, 9-3, comes to mind. Talk about being woofed. They went 2-1 against playoff teams in the regular season ( Furman, App St, Ga So). Otherwise, lost to Furman, a pretty good 6-6 VMI squad, and Maryland. Hmm. As much as I detest the ankle biters, that one always made me shake my head.
When the snubbed term is coined after you for FCS then it is probably the best candidate.

Who got woofed this year?

Wofford wins this one.

WestCoastAggie
April 30th, 2018, 01:31 PM
Lehigh 2012?

MR. CHICKEN
April 30th, 2018, 01:54 PM
.....LAST SEASON.....YOU-DEE....BAH....NEW HAMPSHIRE......AD.....xmadxxflamemadxxbangxxpissed xxbangxxflamemadxxmadx.....AWK1

MR. CHICKEN
April 30th, 2018, 01:56 PM
.....LAST SEASON.....YOU-DEE....BAH....NEW HAMPSHIRE......AD.....xmadxxflamemadxxbangxxpissed xxbangxxflamemadxxmadx.....AWK!

UNHWildcat18
April 30th, 2018, 02:04 PM
.....LAST SEASON.....YOU-DEE....BAH....NEW HAMPSHIRE......AD.....xmadxxflamemadxxbangxxpissed xxbangxxflamemadxxmadx.....AWK1

Like Al Bundy once said to Marcy. "Why don't you just buck buck buck buck buck buck outta here" with that UNH AD crap

Catbooster
April 30th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Since we've gone to 24 teams in the playoffs, I tend to think the last few in should be happy that they got in, and the first few out just didn't get the luck of the draw. There's still plenty of room for message board arguments over who was better between those teams. But it's a little like arguing whether the 70th ranked team should have been the play-in game for March Madness instead of the 66th team. I'm hesitant to say a team just outside the playoff field "deserved" a berth.

Despite this, I'll be here arguing if my Bobcats are on the bubble. xthumbsupxxdrunkyx

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2018, 02:11 PM
ISUr at 7-4 in 2011 ... we even got the bittersweet CSN "woofed" award for that dubious distinction. Started season a little slow, but we were top 10-12 by end of season according to most objective ranking systems, including Massey and Sagarin. The subjective polls had us in top 20. Even Massey Composite had us in top 15. We outplayed #5 NDSU on road (more yards and 1st downs), beat #14 USD by 25, beat #16 InSU by 3, lost to #4 UNI in 2OT despite outplaying them (more than double the yards and 1st downs).

MVFC finished as top ranked conference according to Massey Composite, but only got 2 playoff teams. Biggest mysteries were why CAA got 5 teams and how on earth EKU even got considered for a bid, much less got the last at large bid .. Massey had them #40 for going 7-4 against the 46th ranked SOS.

Strong rumors at the time .. EKU not only bought their way into playoffs with huge bid (but drew 2300 fans and lost), but seemingly got help from big brother Kentucky's b-ball program who had ESPN production crew already in town for basketball game.

I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, but this snub created a lot of attention at the time when people tried to figure out how EKU got in. They were on no one's playoff radar nor in anyone's top 25 even heading into final week .. when they beat a weak team by 7 at home .. (Tn Martin, 4-6, Massey ranked 68). While ISUr was 7-3 against much tougher schedule going into week 11 ... took #4 UNI into 2 OT to lose (but had doubled their yardage and first downs).

It made no sense on several levels .. we were a top 15 team. EKU was maybe top 30 at best.

p.s. yes, I'm still bitter .. I know kids (and parents) on that team .. several senior parents.

MR. CHICKEN
April 30th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Like Al Bundy once said to Marcy. "Why don't you just buck buck buck buck buck buck outta here" with that UNH AD crap

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27517&stc=1............xmadxxflamemadxxbangxxpissedxxpis sedxxpissedxxbangxxflamemadxxmadx..........BRAWK!

F'N Hawks
April 30th, 2018, 03:17 PM
ISUr at 7-4 in 2011 ... we even got the bittersweet CSN "woofed" award for that dubious distinction. Started season a little slow, but we were top 10-12 by end of season according to most objective ranking systems, including Massey and Sagarin. The subjective polls had us in top 20. Even Massey Composite had us in top 15. We outplayed #5 NDSU on road (more yards and 1st downs), beat #14 USD by 25, beat #16 InSU by 3, lost to #4 UNI in 2OT despite outplaying them (more than double the yards and 1st downs).

MVFC finished as top ranked conference according to Massey Composite, but only got 2 playoff teams. Biggest mysteries were why CAA got 5 teams and how on earth EKU even got considered for a bid, much less got the last at large bid .. Massey had them #40 for going 7-4 against the 46th ranked SOS.

Strong rumors at the time .. EKU not only bought their way into playoffs with huge bid (but drew 2300 fans and lost), but seemingly got help from big brother Kentucky's b-ball program who had ESPN production crew already in town for basketball game.

I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, but this snub created a lot of attention at the time when people tried to figure out how EKU got in. They were on no one's playoff radar nor in anyone's top 25 even heading into final week .. when they beat a weak team by 7 at home .. (Tn Martin, 4-6, Massey ranked 68). While ISUr was 7-3 against much tougher schedule going into week 11 ... took #4 UNI into 2 OT to lose (but had doubled their yardage and first downs).

It made no sense on several levels .. we were a top 15 team. EKU was maybe top 30 at best.

p.s. yes, I'm still bitter .. I know kids (and parents) on that team .. several senior parents.

So, your best win was over a 6-5 South Dakota team that was in the transition to D1. Or 6-5 Indiana State. You thought they should have made the playoffs with that resume?

ursus arctos horribilis
April 30th, 2018, 04:07 PM
So, your best win was over a 6-5 South Dakota team that was in the transition to D1. Or 6-5 Indiana State. You thought they should have made the playoffs with that resume?

The conspiracy of EKU also stubs it's toe when you consider that bids are not opened until after selections and pairings are done. ISUr being left out in 2011 was not a woofed candidate really that I can see and I remember having this argument at the time as MVFC homers always bring up any Massey type stuff and how tough they were because of one or two top teams while the rest were no better than the middlin' parts of any other conferences...despite what they will always tell us.

I think they were decent, I don't think it was a big screw job at all though. EKU also wasn't anything to write home about so it is a case of what Catbooster suggested earlier....if you are in or out at the end you got no leg to stand on trying to say you stink slightly less than the other does.

Lehigh'98
April 30th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Lehigh 2012?

As much as I love this pick (knocked off CAA champs in 11, should have got benefit of doubt at 10-1), I think Towson got jobbed even worse that year after dismantling UNH like 70-28 at their own house late in the season only to see UNH get in ahead of them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 30th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Wofford 2002 had an award named after them by TSN's Tony Moss
Lehigh in 2003 was awarded the 2nd annual "Woofed" Award
Lehigh in 2012 was also a huge snub

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2018, 06:11 PM
yes, without doubt. We had much better 7-4 resume than the other 7-4 teams that made it ahead of us. We had several quality wins and quality losses that should have moved us to top of bubble list. College Sporting News looked into it and gave us their "woofed" award for most screwed team .. they used to do this annually for FCS. UNI coach Farley and NDSI Coach Bohl went on record saying we should have made playoffs .. they were both top 5 end of season. They saw how good we were in 2011.

Also consider only 2 teams made it from MVFC in 2011 .. MVFC was the top ranked conference according to Massey Composite of 35 polls. And we were the 3rd best team. So it stands to reason, we should have been in playoffs. Our defense was top 10 in country. Our offense was very solid. Below is link to MVFC team stats ranking in 2011.

#1 in MVFC in following team stats: total defense, rush defense (ypg and ypc), 1st down defense, 4th down conversion both offense and defense, least opponent red zone attempts, most sacks for, least sacks against

#2 in total offense, rush offense, 3rd down conversions both offense and defense, time of possession, offense 1st downs

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/11/team.pdf

It was a very good team by end of season, I would have said we were a top 10 team and it was a very playoff ready team ... pretty sure Coach Bohl and Farley would have agreed. For entire season's resume with slow start, I could understand top 15 as worst case scenario.

I would go further and Spack has said same .. his 2011 team was better than his 2012 team who ranked top 12 and made it to round of 8. Offenses were about same, though 2011 ran better while 2012 passed better. But 2011 defense was much better than 2012. No doubts.

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2018, 06:30 PM
The conspiracy of EKU also stubs it's toe when you consider that bids are not opened until after selections and pairings are done. ISUr being left out in 2011 was not a woofed candidate really that I can see and I remember having this argument at the time as MVFC homers always bring up any Massey type stuff and how tough they were because of one or two top teams while the rest were no better than the middlin' parts of any other conferences...despite what they will always tell us.

I think they were decent, I don't think it was a big screw job at all though. EKU also wasn't anything to write home about so it is a case of what Catbooster suggested earlier....if you are in or out at the end you got no leg to stand on trying to say you stink slightly less than the other does.
But that assumes there are no deals being cut behind scenes. EKU was on nobody's radar as even under playoff considering. They put in a ridiculously high bid .. which begs the question, why would a 6-4 team from a weak conference not in anyone's top 25 even, with no hopes of drawing decent attendance for playoffs that weekend, bid so ridiculously high ? They drew 3300 the week before in their "playoff qualifying" game at home in 58 degree weather with students in session. Then drew just 2300 for playoffs a week later in 68 degree weather .. with students gone.

Which again begs question .. why did they bid so high knowing students would now be gone and no idea they would have such beautiful 68 degree weather.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 30th, 2018, 06:41 PM
But that assumes there are no deals being cut behind scenes. EKU was on nobody's radar as even under playoff considering. They put in a ridiculously high bid .. which begs the question, why would a 6-4 team from a weak conference not in anyone's top 25 even, with no hopes of drawing decent attendance for playoffs that weekend, bid so ridiculously high ? They drew 3300 the week before in their "playoff qualifying" game at home in 58 degree weather with students in session. Then drew just 2300 for playoffs a week later in 68 degree weather .. with students gone.

Which again begs question .. why did they bid so high knowing students would now be gone and no idea they would have such beautiful 68 degree weather.

It does not matter, the committee does not know what the bids are until after all is said and done. You can ask all the miscellany you want to to support the conspiracies but they just don't matter. I know it's always so fun for everyone to get on the boards and make all these wild claims about deals being struck and so forth but it is bull****.

Why didn't JMU and GSU get left out since they didn't bid? That is as pointless a question as any of the others.

When you are down to being the last couple of teams in, you got zero claim as to what you deserve. Sorry, doesn't matter what the stache thought either.xthumbsupx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 30th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Montana outbids anybody, and that includes the not that big of a bid EKU put in so why didn't we get in with our 7-4 last year?

That is what drives the committee after all...right?

VandalBasher
April 30th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Solid discussion!

I wasn't aware of this "woofed" award. I guess this was created after the Vandals left D1-AA in 1996.

F'N Hawks
April 30th, 2018, 08:30 PM
yes, without doubt. We had much better 7-4 resume than the other 7-4 teams that made it ahead of us. We had several quality wins and quality losses that should have moved us to top of bubble list. College Sporting News looked into it and gave us their "woofed" award for most screwed team .. they used to do this annually for FCS. UNI coach Farley and NDSI Coach Bohl went on record saying we should have made playoffs .. they were both top 5 end of season. They saw how good we were in 2011.

Also consider only 2 teams made it from MVFC in 2011 .. MVFC was the top ranked conference according to Massey Composite of 35 polls. And we were the 3rd best team. So it stands to reason, we should have been in playoffs. Our defense was top 10 in country. Our offense was very solid. Below is link to MVFC team stats ranking in 2011.

#1 in MVFC in following team stats: total defense, rush defense (ypg and ypc), 1st down defense, 4th down conversion both offense and defense, least opponent red zone attempts, most sacks for, least sacks against

#2 in total offense, rush offense, 3rd down conversions both offense and defense, time of possession, offense 1st downs

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/11/team.pdf

It was a very good team by end of season, I would have said we were a top 10 team and it was a very playoff ready team ... pretty sure Coach Bohl and Farley would have agreed. For entire season's resume with slow start, I could understand top 15 as worst case scenario.

I would go further and Spack has said same .. his 2011 team was better than his 2012 team who ranked top 12 and made it to round of 8. Offenses were about same, though 2011 ran better while 2012 passed better. But 2011 defense was much better than 2012. No doubts.

Great. But the part the committee looks at, your resume, was blah. You lost to the good teams and beat the bad/average ones. Quality losses is the worst metric ever.

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2018, 09:18 PM
Montana outbids anybody, and that includes the not that big of a bid EKU put in so why didn't we get in with our 7-4 last year?

That is what drives the committee after all...right?
I am not suggesting this happens all the time. I am suggesting it happened in 2011 with EKU's over the top bid.

To give you an idea how ridiculous the EKU bid was .. vaguely recalling number close to 140k by a team who could not have expected to get a playoff bid having not been ranked by anyone, nor could they have expected to draw 3000 fans. Then in 2014, another 7-4 JMU team even publicly admitted they overbid a 1st round game at 200k as a direct result of what EKU did in 2011, even though JMU beat them in 2011:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/jmu-bids-more-than-for-first-round-fcs-playoff-game/article_f363dece-190d-5352-abc0-b33017fa8ae4.html

.... "After seeing his football program sent on the road, to Eastern Kentucky, in the 2011 FCS playoffs, James Madison athletics director Jeff Bourne wasn’t going to let that happen again."

Keep in mind, JMU averaged 18-20k in attendance, while EKU average 5-6k assuming students were on campus .. which they weren't.

Ursus ... I get this looks like sour grapes and paranoia .. but having been on receiving end of this and dug into this at the time it happened, there were many things that defied all logic about ISU being omitted and the EKU selection with their huge bid.

And this fact remains, CSN did give us their "woofed" award for most screwed team in FCS that year.

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Great. But the part the committee looks at, your resume, was blah. You lost to the good teams and beat the bad/average ones. Quality losses is the worst metric ever.
that defies all logic. If you dont think quality losses should be considered, well then you should let the FCS selection committee know .. because in recent years they have begun to acknowledge the notion of strengthof schedule playing part in assessing quality wins AND quaality losses. Not all 7-4's are equal ... the difference to anyone open minded and interested in the best teams being rewarded with playoff bids ... is entirely based on assessment of quality wins and losses.

Do tell what you would do different in comparing 2 teams with 4 losses .. one from a crappy conference, one from a strong conference.

F'N Hawks
April 30th, 2018, 10:06 PM
that defies all logic. If you dont think quality losses should be considered, well then you should let the FCS selection committee know .. because in recent years they have begun to acknowledge the notion of strengthof schedule playing part in assessing quality wins AND quaality losses. Not all 7-4's are equal ... the difference to anyone open minded and interested in the best teams being rewarded with playoff bids ... is entirely based on assessment of quality wins and losses.

Do tell what you would do different in comparing 2 teams with 4 losses .. one from a crappy conference, one from a strong conference.

Easy...quality wins. That seems to be extremely underrated lately. Ya know, a teams actual ability to beat somebody good - their ceiling.
But that's just me.

F'N Hawks
April 30th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Redbird,
Didn't you lose to EKU's conference mate Eastern Illinois that year? EIU ended the season 2-9. That was probably not good.

mvemjsunpx
April 30th, 2018, 10:26 PM
2006 Portland State. They went 7-4 with 3 I-A/FBS games (1 win) and didn't get selected. Following that, Tim Walsh left to become the OC at Army and the Jerry Glanville disaster ensued.

cx500d
April 30th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Easy...quality wins.

Something you wouldn’t know about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2018, 10:33 PM
Easy...quality wins. That seems to be extremely underrated lately. Ya know, a teams actual ability to beat somebody good - their ceiling.
But that's just me.
your response suggests I don't look at quality wins ... I most certainly do look at that and I most certainly said it. So you mis-stated what I said right after I said it .. see above .. it's right there.

Also, as I said, the FCS selection committee has in recent years acknowledged quality wins and quality losses, assessed based on strength of schedule, are critical part of selection process. So you should also take issue with them.

Odd how you really jumped on my post in personal way fast ... you still mad I predicted UND would fall hard from 2016 to 2017 ... based entirely on my views on quality wins, or lack of quality wins for UND in 2016 combined with easier schedule and favorable home/away slate .. which all flipped in 2017, along with your record ? I believe you had UND finishing top 2 and making playoff run in 2017.

F'N Hawks
April 30th, 2018, 10:42 PM
your response suggests I don't look at quality wins ... I most certainly do look at that and I most certainly said it. So you mis-stated what I said right after I said it .. see above .. it's right there.

Also, as I said, the FCS selection committee has in recent years acknowledged quality wins and quality losses, assessed based on strength of schedule, are critical part of selection process. So you should also take issue with them.

Odd how you really jumped on my post in personal way fast ... you still mad I predicted UND would fall hard from 2016 to 2017 ... based entirely on my views on quality wins, or lack of quality wins for UND in 2016 combined with easier schedule and favorable home/away slate .. which all flipped in 2017, along with your record ? I believe you had UND finishing top 2 and making playoff run in 2017.

Easy speed racer. Just pointing out your resume was blah no matter how much you love your losses.

Redbird 4th & short
April 30th, 2018, 10:43 PM
Redbird,
Didn't you lose to EKU's conference mate Eastern Illinois that year? EIU ended the season 2-9. That was probably not good.
yes .. and nearly every 7-4 teams lays an egg or 2 every year. EKU lost to Austin Peay (2-8) the same year, ranked well below EIU.

quality wins and quality losses, where quality is based on strength of schedule and margins .. it is the only way to assess a bunch of teams with 7-4 records.

JALMOND
May 1st, 2018, 12:42 AM
2006 Portland State. They went 7-4 with 3 I-A/FBS games (1 win) and didn't get selected. Following that, Tim Walsh left to become the OC at Army and the Jerry Glanville disaster ensued.

All three FBS opponents went to bowl games that year, including New Mexico who the Viks beat in Albuquerque (the other opponents were Cal with Marshawn Lynch, and Oregon with Dennis Dixon). Only two FCS losses were to Montana and Montana State who got in to the playoffs. But, well, yeah.xsmhx

mvemjsunpx
May 1st, 2018, 01:51 AM
All three FBS opponents went to bowl games that year, including New Mexico who the Viks beat in Albuquerque (the other opponents were Cal with Marshawn Lynch, and Oregon with Dennis Dixon). Only two FCS losses were to Montana and Montana State who got in to the playoffs. But, well, yeah.xsmhx

PSU should've still been selected ahead of MSU. The Bobcats did beat PSU, but they also had a DII loss (the Danny Woodhead debacle) and lost 45-0 to UC Davis at home.

UNHWildcat18
May 1st, 2018, 05:53 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27517&stc=1............xmadxxflamemadxxbangxxpissedxxpis sedxxpissedxxbangxxflamemadxxmadx..........BRAWK!

Errrrr maybe I misinterpreted what your statement meant.....lol

- - - Updated - - -

Errrrr maybe I misinterpreted what your statement meant.....lol

JSUSoutherner
May 1st, 2018, 07:02 AM
EKU bought their way into the playoffs? Pretty sure they don’t even have money to function let alone bribe people.

Maybe some under the table, happy ending stuff took place but I doubt it was their bank account that got them anywhere.

RootinFerDukes
May 1st, 2018, 07:43 AM
JMU 2005: coming off of a championship, we went 7-4 with some bad losses that season, including to recent start up CCU. The field was 16 at time.

I also agree that Austin Peay isn’t even the top team on the outside looking in this year. EWU and UD had more of an argument, maybe more I’m forgetting.

VandalBasher
May 1st, 2018, 08:45 AM
When is the "Woofed Award" presented?

Redbird 4th & short
May 1st, 2018, 08:49 AM
EKU bought their way into the playoffs? Pretty sure they don’t even have money to function let alone bribe people.

Maybe some under the table, happy ending stuff took place but I doubt it was their bank account that got them anywhere.

put aside my conspiracy theory for moment .. it is a published fact that EKU way overbid for right to host in 2011. The uproar at that time revealed they bid a crazy number. And the JMU crazy bid in 2014 referred directly to the EKU bid in 2011 (see my JMU link above) ... albeit far less crazy than EKU. Except there is one huge difference in crazy ... JMU averaged 18k and was ranked top 20, while EKU only averaged 6k and was unranked after week 11. And the JMU AD admitted he way overbid and lost money in 2014 ... with students gone for Thanksgiving and temps dropping to 36 degrees, they only drew 13k.

So if they were so budget strapped like you suggested ... the question is how and why was EKU able to way overbid, knowing they would be lucky to draw 3,000 ... and actually drew just 2,300 in 58 degree weather. Between this fact and CSN giving us "woofed" award .. These are 100% facts.

The only part which is opinion/conspiracy part is did EKU get a back room deal. And yes, I get this looks like sour grapes and paranoia. But please realize this, you can only appreciate how out of the ordinary this all looked, if you were the team that was screwed out of a bid.

Reminder for perspective ... the OVC had a 12 year run (2001-12) where they went 0-17 in playoffs. MVFC was at or near the top conference in FCS in 2011 and got just 2 teams. The OVC was near bottom at that time .. and got 2 teams. JSU didn't start getting good until 2013.

This just made no sense on so many levels. Anyway, I'll try to move on ..... try ! xdrunkyxxpeacex

mvemjsunpx
May 1st, 2018, 08:50 AM

On Smarch 13th.

https://static.simpsonswiki.com/images/f/fd/Smarch.png

Redbird 4th & short
May 1st, 2018, 08:56 AM

not sure how long they did this, but it went away eventually. I believe they were called College Sporting News at the time and had online presence.

Mocs123
May 1st, 2018, 10:33 AM
I mean, kinda sorta not really. It was bitter for UTC, but they were not really "snubbed" in my opinion.

3 teams tied for first place in the SoCon at 8-4. None were particularly impressive. The highest ranked team was Samford at #19.

Furman was the autobid. Samford beat UTC head to head. So, of three good-not-great selections, they took the team they had to (Furman) and the team that beat the other head to head (Samford). UTC was probably the best team of the three, but failed to get it done on the field. Had UTC made a chip shot kick in Birmingham they likely would have been the only SoCon rep.

- - - Updated

You’re right, it just killed Chattanooga fans and players that we got left at home in favor of a team we beat (Furman) and a team we almost beat with our running QB unable to run with a torn up knee (Samford), especially with the controversy around the two point loss to GSU.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 1st, 2018, 02:42 PM
not sure how long they did this, but it went away eventually. I believe they were called College Sporting News at the time and had online presence.

I'm pretty sure TSN's Tony Moss coined the term.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 1st, 2018, 03:07 PM
I am not suggesting this happens all the time. I am suggesting it happened in 2011 with EKU's over the top bid.

To give you an idea how ridiculous the EKU bid was .. vaguely recalling number close to 140k by a team who could not have expected to get a playoff bid having not been ranked by anyone, nor could they have expected to draw 3000 fans. Then in 2014, another 7-4 JMU team even publicly admitted they overbid a 1st round game at 200k as a direct result of what EKU did in 2011, even though JMU beat them in 2011:

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/jmu-bids-more-than-for-first-round-fcs-playoff-game/article_f363dece-190d-5352-abc0-b33017fa8ae4.html

.... "After seeing his football program sent on the road, to Eastern Kentucky, in the 2011 FCS playoffs, James Madison athletics director Jeff Bourne wasn’t going to let that happen again."

Keep in mind, JMU averaged 18-20k in attendance, while EKU average 5-6k assuming students were on campus .. which they weren't.

Ursus ... I get this looks like sour grapes and paranoia .. but having been on receiving end of this and dug into this at the time it happened, there were many things that defied all logic about ISU being omitted and the EKU selection with their huge bid.

And this fact remains, CSN did give us their "woofed" award for most screwed team in FCS that year.

EKU was ranked by the selection committee in the poll they kept and all others do not matter unfortunately. BTW, not trying to be a dick here but CSN saying you were the woofed team is only as legit as some of the more notable posters around here saying it as that is basically what CSN was. Not saying it isn't worth talking about but it is nothing more than an opinion like yours and mine are and it is no more legit than that.

You have a lot of subterfuge in the first part there and not really sure why what JMU did with a big would matter? That crap does not have a thing to do with the simple facts that neither team was very good between the two and when it becomes a toss up with resumes back and forth it is a crap shoot at best and you guys just lost in a coin flip situation. It really does not compare to the top of the "Woofed" pack in my view.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 1st, 2018, 03:10 PM

It was a blog ran by the old owner of AGS and populated with articles and so forth by several other AGS members and a few additional writers that wanted to chime in from what I recall.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 1st, 2018, 03:15 PM

This is one of the better ones posted and was waiting for JALMOND to bring this one in. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 1st, 2018, 03:23 PM
I'm pretty sure TSN's Tony Moss coined the term.

I think this is correct as well. It was picked up by many on AGS and has had virus like transference all over since then.

But it's one of those things like a "Crescent Wrench" in that the name is around so long and used so many ways I may not even remember that Crescent was a company that made the wrench in the first place. xlolx

VandalBasher
May 1st, 2018, 04:43 PM
On Smarch 13th.

https://static.simpsonswiki.com/images/f/fd/Smarch.png

Listen, buddy. There aren't 28 days in Smarch.

Schism55
May 1st, 2018, 04:53 PM
About 45 minutes after bar close :D

JALMOND
May 1st, 2018, 09:11 PM
This is one of the better ones posted and was waiting for JALMOND to bring this one in. xlolx

I arrived late to the party. xembarrassedx

Mvem's got my back, tho. xlolx

Redbird 4th & short
May 2nd, 2018, 08:56 AM
EKU was ranked by the selection committee in the poll they kept and all others do not matter unfortunately. BTW, not trying to be a dick here but CSN saying you were the woofed team is only as legit as some of the more notable posters around here saying it as that is basically what CSN was. Not saying it isn't worth talking about but it is nothing more than an opinion like yours and mine are and it is no more legit than that.

You have a lot of subterfuge in the first part there and not really sure why what JMU did with a big would matter? That crap does not have a thing to do with the simple facts that neither team was very good between the two and when it becomes a toss up with resumes back and forth it is a crap shoot at best and you guys just lost in a coin flip situation. It really does not compare to the top of the "Woofed" pack in my view.
No subterfuge on my part (if that is what you meant) .. just someone with a strongly vested interested at the time. As for coin flip between ISUr and EKU .. Massey Composite of 35 polls had us in top 15, and EKU somewhere in the mid 30s as I recall. It wasn't close.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 2nd, 2018, 12:08 PM
No subterfuge on my part (if that is what you meant) .. just someone with a strongly vested interested at the time. As for coin flip between ISUr and EKU .. Massey Composite of 35 polls had us in top 15, and EKU somewhere in the mid 30s as I recall. It wasn't close.

As I mentioned UM has been in that position as well but I know if we are fighting for the last spot or two then it ain't worth trying to sift through the sands of reasons to find one that works in our favor. We didn't deserve to be in. ISU didn't deserve to be in, EKU didn't either. Just at that point you need some teams to fill it out. Nobody deserves to be in after the top 16 really if you ask me even though I do like the larger bracket.

At that point it is down to the committee members going back and forth and comparing things and whether we like it or not those items they covet do seem to change from year to year. You pointed out several instances that have changed a bit recently. Those things ought to be ranked and utilized similarly each and ever year but they seem to have different weight in different years like it is some sort of lottery as to which one is most used that year.

Anyway, liked the conversation and we ain't changing each other's mind on it. xlolxxthumbsupx

Redbird 4th & short
May 2nd, 2018, 05:59 PM
As I mentioned UM has been in that position as well but I know if we are fighting for the last spot or two then it ain't worth trying to sift through the sands of reasons to find one that works in our favor. We didn't deserve to be in. ISU didn't deserve to be in, EKU didn't either. Just at that point you need some teams to fill it out. Nobody deserves to be in after the top 16 really if you ask me even though I do like the larger bracket.

At that point it is down to the committee members going back and forth and comparing things and whether we like it or not those items they covet do seem to change from year to year. You pointed out several instances that have changed a bit recently. Those things ought to be ranked and utilized similarly each and ever year but they seem to have different weight in different years like it is some sort of lottery as to which one is most used that year.

Anyway, liked the conversation and we ain't changing each other's mind on it. xlolxxthumbsupx

fair enough .. but if I find any of that old "evidence", I'll be back like Columbo with "hmm ... well, ma'am .. you see .. uh, there's just one more thing".

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm71q8Scb_PEEd6b5jDKdMOOm1BFMD6 Y5zM6lkMcvgbCI3wDgn 1001 × 720 - listal.com
(https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Filarge.lisimg.com%2Fima ge%2F9344618%2F1001full-columbo%253A-negative-reaction-screenshot.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.listal.com%2Fviewimage% 2F9344618&docid=WlZQx-2iab-PjM&tbnid=PXDNDu3l5gb6nM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwif_9uAkOjaAhWn8YMKHafRDH0QMwhiKCcwJw.. i&w=1001&h=720&bih=585&biw=1366&q=columbo%20negative%20reaction&ved=0ahUKEwif_9uAkOjaAhWn8YMKHafRDH0QMwhiKCcwJw&iact=mrc&uact=8)
p.s. As you can tell, the butt hurt was strong in Redbird Nation that year.

VandalBasher
May 2nd, 2018, 08:33 PM
The results of this thread are much like when I bring up politics and religion at a party I am not hosting. I'm back in the saddle again!

IBleedYellow
May 3rd, 2018, 12:09 PM
4th and Short might have a point after going and looking at...almost everything.

Woof.

Redbird 4th & short
May 3rd, 2018, 12:38 PM
4th and Short might have a point after going and looking at...almost everything.

Woof.

as I admitted, the butt hurt was/is strong on this one.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 3rd, 2018, 12:39 PM

Woof.

NSFW so click if you aren't a pussy...the admin rules on the FCS board suck around this place!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU

BisonFan02
May 3rd, 2018, 03:13 PM
NSFW so click if you aren't a pussy...the admin rules on the FCS board suck around this place!

no

VandalBasher
May 3rd, 2018, 07:14 PM

This was brilliant! I wasn't going to click on it. But, it was a challenge.