PDA

View Full Version : Grambling Joins The Citadel in FBS Bonus

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
This is ridiculous...

I bet there's even more coaches that have such a bonus. I think Grambling will have an easier time getting FBS games because of all that they bring to a game environment, from their fans to the bands to the history of that program (anyone want to name drop a few Tigers?)...

And also...doesn't the AD handle the scheduling at these schools? Why is the coach benefiting? On the field success for FCS schools doesn't necessarily help attract FBS schools, may lead them to pulling out of games...
-----------------
From TT's Favorite FCS columnist east of Kent Schmidt, Nick Deriso...

First-year Grambling coach Rod Broadway's contract includes escalating bonuses tied to the revenue from games against opponents from the Football Bowl Subdivision, formerly known as Division I-A.

Here's how that breaks down:

If net proceeds are $124,999 or less, Broadway receives $5,000 while his assistants earn $500-$1,000. For games that net $125,000-$149,999, the deal calls for $7,000 in supplemental pay for the head coach and $750-$1,250 for the rest of the staff.

If Grambling nets $150,000-$199,999, Broadway receives $10,000, while the staffers get $750-$1,500. He then earns $15,000 for contests that net $200,000 or greater; his assistants receive $1,000-$2,000.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070303/SPORTS/70302061/1006

PantherRob82
March 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Interesting.

Is this a way to try and convince the coach to take money games?

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Interesting.

Is this a way to try and convince the coach to take money games?

Perhaps...

Grambling has less to lose though considering they are not eligible for the playoffs due to the scheduling of the Bayou Classic. For other schools, they are worried about those Div I win totals...

Grambling could conceivably schedule four money games in addition to their seven-game SWAC schedule with no repercussions outside of it potentially negatively effecting team's play in SWAC games...

They'd be like the FBS "jobber" (wrestling term for the guy who loses every night) if they did it, but it is plausible...

Mr. Tiger
March 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Perhaps...

Grambling has less to lose though considering they are not eligible for the playoffs due to the scheduling of the Bayou Classic. For other schools, they are worried about those Div I win totals...

Grambling could conceivably schedule four money games in addition to their seven-game SWAC schedule with no repercussions outside of it potentially negatively effecting team's play in SWAC games...

They'd be like the FBS "jobber" (wrestling term for the guy who loses every night) if they did it, but it is plausible...

I see you follow wrestling TT. xlolx I can't see Grambling becoming a jobber to anyone. Grambling has a history of scheduling FBS teams and will play Pittsburgh this year. But I seriously doubt Grambling or any SWAC school will play four money games in football. Plus, Grambling doesn't have to because they can make money from classics. And remember, the Southland played the most FBS opponents last year. :smiley_wi

TexasTerror
March 3rd, 2007, 11:08 AM
I see you follow wrestling TT. xlolx I can't see Grambling becoming a jobber to anyone. Grambling has a history of scheduling FBS teams and will play Pittsburgh this year. But I seriously doubt Grambling or any SWAC school will play four money games in football. Plus, Grambling doesn't have to because they can make money from classics.

I'm very interested to see post-mandate scheduling in the SWAC. Between Classics and FBS games, at what point do you say, let's actually play a game at home? Obviously, it's not an issue for the SWAC schools in basketball to hit the road for most of their non-conference slate, if not all of it (see Alcorn St two years ago).

SWAC should be able to get a few attractive games at home each year. It's going to be exciting to see SWAC scheduling next year! As a FCS fan in this region, I'm hoping there's several attractive regional games between SWAC and other FCS schools...

And remember, the Southland played the most FBS opponents last year. :smiley_wi

Katrina and Rita...you should know some about it, eh?

The Louisiana schools are still hard-pressed for cash. Nicholls State was hurting pre-Katrina and is even messier post-Katrina. See their crazy basketball schedule?

This year is a different story, atleast as it relates to the Texas schools. SFA has no FBS opponents. Last year was the first year they actually played FBS in a long while. Next year, they have one FBS game, but I do not forsee them playing in them in mass. TXST has one this year (Baylor) while SHSU has one as well (Oklahoma St). Holding out hope that the TX schools only schedule one FBS down the road...

MACHIAVELLI
March 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Grambling has a history of scheduling FBS teams and will play Pittsburgh this year. But I seriously doubt Grambling or any SWAC school will play four money games in football. Plus, Grambling doesn't have to because they can make money from classics.

We count those as money games.

citdog
March 5th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I think that is the first time in history the Icon and The Military College of South Carolina have ever been mentioned in the same sentence!xlolx

nickderiso
March 6th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I think that is the first time in history the Icon and The Military College of South Carolina have ever been mentioned in the same sentence!xlolx

Remember Kenny Carter (1990 grad, he played and coached at The Citadel)? He applied at Grambling last year.

I know, that's two sentences. But still.

citdog
March 6th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Remember Kenny Carter (1990 grad, he played and coached at The Citadel)? He applied at Grambling last year.

Kenny Carter will make someone a FINE Head Coach!

CID1990
March 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Part of the reason the AD at El Cid was able to run rampant with D I-A dates was because we have pretty much had a bunch of interim coaches between Charlie Taaffe and Kevin Higgins. There wasn't anyone from inside the program to protest. I know Higgins doesn't like playing two DI-A teams in a year, and this might be one of the reasons we are playing Webber Intl'. Taaffe, on the other hand, never had much of an issue with playing those teams since he was 7-1 against them over a 4 year stretch. It's nice to get the money AND the win.