PDA

View Full Version : NDSU HC Contract

Thundar
April 19th, 2018, 10:05 AM
NDSU Gives Chris Klieman 2 yr deal

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4433939-ndsu-extends-contract-chris-klieman-two-more-years

Kiss of death?

TheKingpin28
April 19th, 2018, 10:27 AM

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4433939-ndsu-extends-contract-chris-klieman-two-more-years

Kiss of death?

We all know it is a matter of time. As much as we hate to admit it, I am willing to bet NDSU did this with a higher buyout clause to ensure they can afford to keep as many coaches as possible when Klieman finally gets poached.

BisonTru
April 19th, 2018, 10:34 AM
All comes down to the details. What's the buyout??

Worst case scenarios for NDSU:

He gets a FBS HC job - the bigger the buyout the better

He under-performs and gets let go - probably the very earliest this could play out is 2021 or 2022. NDSU would only be buying out of a year or two.

All in all, I think it's probably a good deal just hoping for a big buyout.

dewey
April 19th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Like others have said i wpuld luke to see the buyout clause and other details from his old contract to the new contract.

Good for coach Klieman and his staff.

Go Bison!

Dewey

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2018, 10:52 AM
IIRC the last time Klieman signed an extension in 2016 his buyout was actually lowered. Prior to this new deal his buyout was $300k through the first season and then down to $150k after that which would've started on 1/15/2017 (link (http://www.inforum.com/sports/4015655-pdf-dive-incentives-chris-kliemans-new-ndsu-contract)). So having the buyout sitting at $150k for over a calendar year now is probably what prompted this. I'm sure he's getting a pay bump but I wouldn't be surprised if the buyout is only high through the end of this season again and goes back down in the January 2019 timeframe. I'm sure the contract details will be out soon.

Bisonoline
April 19th, 2018, 10:52 AM

Kiss of death?

Nope.

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2018, 11:00 AM
The contract extension Mike Houston signed with JMU in September has a $1M buyout if he goes to a P5 school and $500k if he goes to a G5 school before 2/1/2020 (link (https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/dnronline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/9f/f9f36b8c-e4f6-11e7-8804-efa98a28f636/5a396f97df9be.pdf.pdf)). I wonder if NDSU is trying to get something closer to that since Klieman's buyout was dwarfed by that. I doubt Klieman is going to get the $515k base salary (with media/appearance fees) that Houston is getting from JMU though so NDSU probably doesn't have as much leverage there.

cx500d
April 19th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Kiss of death?

No, long term 10 year deals are the kiss of death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2018, 12:45 PM
Story in the OP is updated with contract details. Very little is new apparently other than tacking 2 years onto the end of his current deal so it goes through the 2023 season. He got a $10k increase in his media/appearance fee which bring his base up to $425k annually when including those. He also gets another $50k "longevity bonus" if he is still the NDSU head coach on 1/5/2019. With bonuses (8 wins, MVFC title, 3 playoff home games, national title) he could add up to $50k each year so he'd max out at about $475k.

But the big thing is no change to the buyout... still $150k which is peanuts for most any FBS school especially the P5s.

TheKingpin28
April 19th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Story in the OP is updated with contract details. Very little is new apparently other than tacking 2 years onto the end of his current deal so it goes through the 2023 season. He got a $10k increase in his media/appearance fee which bring his base up to $425k annually when including those. He also gets another $50k "longevity bonus" if he is still the NDSU head coach on 1/5/2019. With bonuses (8 wins, MVFC title, 3 playoff home games, national title) he could add up to $50k each year so he'd max out at about $475k.

But the big thing is no change to the buyout... still $150k which is peanuts for most any FBS school especially the P5s.

The fact that they did not get a bigger buyout is shocking, but one has to wonder if Klieman truly wants to stay here and continue on with NDSU? Why not try and extract more money from the G5 or P5 if you can, unless you are convinced someone is not leaving in the near future?

JMUNJ08
April 19th, 2018, 01:18 PM
But, is there really worry about him leaving? I know your prior coach stayed for a bit and then landed at the ever high profile job at Wyoming... What has been his STAMP on the program? Not a knock on NDSU, but, seems like a well oiled machine where he just got behind the wheel and didn't take off the cruise control. Houston at least came in and changed the team's trajectory and rebuilt the schemes to be successful to the talent.

I'm sure the lack of AMAZING jobs has to be a factor. Withers should be gone after this year at Texas St. Hauck at UNLV? Really good FBS jobs are not easy to come by for FCS coaches lately but if you are looking for the short term payday from a G5, its there. If you want to be a legend at a school and suffer with a $400-500K payday a year, then I'd stay right where I'm at.

IBleedYellow
April 19th, 2018, 01:18 PM

325 base
75k media
25k speaking fee
10k - 8 wins
10k conference champ
15k 3 playoff home games
15k frisco win (10k friisco loss)
+50 longevity bonus end of year

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 19th, 2018, 01:32 PM
He's worth every penny!

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 19th, 2018, 01:34 PM
But, is there really worry about him leaving? I know your prior coach stayed for a bit and then landed at the ever high profile job at Wyoming... What has been his STAMP on the program? Not a knock on NDSU, but, seems like a well oiled machine where he just got behind the wheel and didn't take off the cruise control. Houston at least came in and changed the team's trajectory and rebuilt the schemes to be successful to the talent.

I'm sure the lack of AMAZING jobs has to be a factor. Withers should be gone after this year at Texas St. Hauck at UNLV? Really good FBS jobs are not easy to come by for FCS coaches lately but if you are looking for the short term payday from a G5, its there. If you want to be a legend at a school and suffer with a $400-500K payday a year, then I'd stay right where I'm at.

It's called tradition and the that is what makes NDSU great. JMU doesn't have it. Klieman is a better coach compared to Bohl IMO. Sustaining continued success is difficult.

JMUNJ08
April 19th, 2018, 01:43 PM
It's called tradition and the that is what makes NDSU great. JMU doesn't have it. Klieman is a better coach compared to Bohl IMO. Sustaining continued success is difficult.

Definitely agree that its not a given right that you put anyone in that seat and they cruise to 9+ wins a season. Besides keeping that high bar where it was at with (outsider) the same systems in place, what would be his key points to a potential suitor besides national championships (ain't getting that outside a top 10 FBS job)? Clear a winning program is doing well recruiting and maintaining that identity, but how else is he attractive to FBS?

While JMU doesn't have sustained tradition over several decades, compared to MANY FCS schools, we are certainly near the top at this point. Haven't had a losing season in awhile, 2 NCs, and with strong facilities, do not see us going anywhere anytime soon if we stay in FCS.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 19th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Definitely agree that its not a given right that you put anyone in that seat and they cruise to 9+ wins a season. Besides keeping that high bar where it was at with (outsider) the same systems in place, what would be his key points to a potential suitor besides national championships (ain't getting that outside a top 10 FBS job)? Clear a winning program is doing well recruiting and maintaining that identity, but how else is he attractive to FBS?

While JMU doesn't have sustained tradition over several decades, compared to MANY FCS schools, we are certainly near the top at this point. Haven't had a losing season in awhile, 2 NCs, and with strong facilities, do not see us going anywhere anytime soon if we stay in FCS.

Yes, if JMU stays FCS they more than likely will create that "tradition" I am talking about. They are definitely a top team right now, no argument from me.

BEAR
April 19th, 2018, 01:52 PM
I think it is the kiss of death. Why?

NDSU just assigned half a million dollars in value to a coach making him attractive to FBS schools. Add on his record and he's attractive to mid major or higher FBS schools. You don't see FBS schools looking at FCS or Division II coaches making 80k a year unless they are successful or have connections. But a guy with nattys and making 500k...now that's a value worth investing in for the fans. That means he's done something and worth something. I give him another year. If he's successful again I see offers coming his way. Just my opinon. Don't take offense to it. NDSU has done well with him. But we saw how quickly a coach can bail on a team even in the playoffs when more money is offered....xlolx

IBleedYellow
April 19th, 2018, 02:28 PM

NDSU just assigned half a million dollars in value to a coach making him attractive to FBS schools. Add on his record and he's attractive to mid major or higher FBS schools. You don't see FBS schools looking at FCS or Division II coaches making 80k a year unless they are successful or have connections. But a guy with nattys and making 500k...now that's a value worth investing in for the fans. That means he's done something and worth something. I give him another year. If he's successful again I see offers coming his way. Just my opinon. Don't take offense to it. NDSU has done well with him. But we saw how quickly a coach can bail on a team even in the playoffs when more money is offered....xlolx

At this point he's getting close to being on par with G5 schools for Head Coaches. Not quite there yet, but I've heard rumblings of boosters that we can get him up to 750k/yr if need be. Hell the new section of season tickets would cover that and then some.

The much more important part none of you pay attention to: In Coach Klieman's contract his assistants are required to be paid within the top 5-10% in the FCS. As in the pool of money that the school allocates to the assistant coaches, etc needs to be in those percentiles. That's the secret to winning and keeping continuity.

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2018, 03:02 PM
At this point he's getting close to being on par with G5 schools for Head Coaches. Not quite there yet, but I've heard rumblings of boosters that we can get him up to 750k/yr if need be. Hell the new section of season tickets would cover that and then some.

The much more important part none of you pay attention to: In Coach Klieman's contract his assistants are required to be paid within the top 5-10% in the FCS. As in the pool of money that the school allocates to the assistant coaches, etc needs to be in those percentiles. That's the secret to winning and keeping continuity.

The last part is by far the most important xnodx

centennial
April 19th, 2018, 03:09 PM

As already stated on this thread. Coach Klieman is as good as Bohl if not better. His understanding of defense is definitely better.

IMO long term success is harder. Bohl thought NDSU might not repeat after 2013, and took the best deal possible.

In the meanwhile, NDSU has run a signicantly different offenses and defenses under Coach Klieman. Years worth of NDSU tape is floating around on YouTube. Beating NDSU still gets you a sports center mention. Yea, I get power football, imposing our will, system etc Long term you have to be able to give what the other team gives you. 2016 NDSU wasn't good at this. 2017 NDSU actually improved.

I think Coach Klieman will be a good mid major coach when the time comes. The NDSU coaching tree in the meanwhile grows bigger.

BEAR
April 19th, 2018, 03:21 PM

UCA lost (mentally) head coach Steve Campbell before the playoffs and he went from making about $200,000 a year to $600,000 a year. Can't blame him but part of me still hates it. If NDSU has set the salary at 500k already then I see schools like Air Force, Kansas, Rice, and Army who all pay their head coaches 900k easily snatching him up. Air Force, by the way, is the least paid head coach on my list of 4 teams mentioned at #82 in the nation in head coach pay. Why wouldn't a head coach want to double his salary simply with negotiations? Heck move up a few spots and coach ULL and get paid $1.1 million. xlolx

IBleedYellow
April 19th, 2018, 03:24 PM
UCA lost (mentally) head coach Steve Campbell before the playoffs and he went from making about $200,000 a year to $600,000 a year. Can't blame him but part of me still hates it. If NDSU has set the salary at 500k already then I see schools like Air Force, Kansas, Rice, and Army who all pay their head coaches 900k easily snatching him up. Air Force, by the way, is the least paid head coach on my list of 4 teams mentioned at #82 in the nation in head coach pay. Why wouldn't a head coach want to double his salary simply with negotiations? Heck move up a few spots and coach ULL and get paid $1.1 million. xlolxWell, for one. Air Force is going to be a bitch to recruit to. They have weight standards, etc.

Also Coach K WILL stay in the Midwest - he is a family man and his parents still live in Iowa. I personally have my eye on Iowa State.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 19th, 2018, 07:32 PM

Sadly, I think Coach K will be gone fairly soon.

As long as the next coach doesn't change "systems", I'll be fine as a fan. If they bring in someone that wants to just chuck the ball around and be a Big Sky wannabie, then he will not be around long IMO.

Professor Chaos
April 19th, 2018, 08:36 PM
I think Klieman's career trajectory depends a lot on whether he's set on remaining a head coach or if he's willing to take a coordinator position. I think he would be an attractive option to a high level P5 looking for a DC. If his goal is P5 head coach I think being a P5 coordinator first is the better track than trying to be a G5 head coach first and move up that way. Look at Joe Moorhead, 3 years ago he was Fordham's head coach and all it took was 2 years as Penn St's OC to convince Mississippi St to give him their HC job.

In any case I think if Klieman only wants to leave for another HC job that he's likely to stick around NDSU longer than if he'd be willing to bolt for a high level DC position.

centennial
April 20th, 2018, 01:05 AM
Sadly, I think Coach K will be gone fairly soon.

As long as the next coach doesn't change "systems", I'll be fine as a fan. If they bring in someone that wants to just chuck the ball around and be a Big Sky wannabie, then he will not be around long IMO.

I really like Dale Lindsey, he runs a very similar system but he is getting too old. As long as we can run WCO-Power hybrid NDSU will be hard to stop. Just no one from NIU, Baylor, or Texas Tech. Let's steal some grad assistants from Stanford and Alabama for position coaches and find ex-NFL'ers if Coach K takes the whole staff with him (which I really hope he doesn't).

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 20th, 2018, 06:28 AM
I really like Dale Lindsey, he runs a very similar system but he is getting too old. As long as we can run WCO-Power hybrid NDSU will be hard to stop. Just no one from NIU, Baylor, or Texas Tech. Let's steal some grad assistants from Stanford and Alabama for position coaches and find ex-NFL'ers if Coach K takes the whole staff with him (which I really hope he doesn't).

No kidding!!

I think the Bison, when they go to Oregon in '20, have a really good chance of beating the Ducks. They struggle with Stanford and the Cardinal runs a I-back set or pro formation....from what I remember recently.

Thumper 76
April 20th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Well, for one. Air Force is going to be a bitch to recruit to. They have weight standards, etc.

Also Coach K WILL stay in the Midwest - he is a family man and his parents still live in Iowa. I personally have my eye on Iowa State.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Pretty easy to see the folks when your making over a mil a year. Or fly them down to you and rent them a house if your somewhere south and sunny.

No kidding!!

I think the Bison, when they go to Oregon in '20, have a really good chance of beating the Ducks. They struggle with Stanford and the Cardinal runs a I-back set or pro formation....from what I remember recently.
No offense to my bison friends, but I hope you get destroyed.

Bison56
April 20th, 2018, 01:37 PM
Pretty easy to see the folks when your making over a mil a year. Or fly them down to you and rent them a house if your somewhere south and sunny.

Glad I'm not your friend.

Serpentor
April 20th, 2018, 01:41 PM
He under-performs and gets let go - probably the very earliest this could play out is 2021 or 2022. NDSU would only be buying out of a year or two.

What's underperforming for a Bison coach? Winning a national championship by only two touchdowns?

IBleedYellow
April 20th, 2018, 01:43 PM
What's underperforming for a Bison coach? Winning a national championship by only two touchdowns?

Not making the quarterfinals or semis. We pay our staff top 10% in the country. We better be getting a top 10% or even higher than that. We should be competing for National Titles every year.

BisonTru
April 20th, 2018, 01:46 PM

We only won by 4 points this year. Klieman is on a short leash.

BEAR
April 20th, 2018, 02:08 PM
We only won by 4 points this year. Klieman is on a short leash.

100+ teams wish they had that problem...just ONCE...xthumbsupx

JMUNJ08
April 20th, 2018, 03:54 PM
I think Klieman's career trajectory depends a lot on whether he's set on remaining a head coach or if he's willing to take a coordinator position. I think he would be an attractive option to a high level P5 looking for a DC. If his goal is P5 head coach I think being a P5 coordinator first is the better track than trying to be a G5 head coach first and move up that way. Look at Joe Moorhead, 3 years ago he was Fordham's head coach and all it took was 2 years as Penn St's OC to convince Mississippi St to give him their HC job.

In any case I think if Klieman only wants to leave for another HC job that he's likely to stick around NDSU longer than if he'd be willing to bolt for a high level DC position.

Very interesting and underrated way to go. Hell, look at Lane Kiffin who needed to be humbled a bit (smoke and mirrors but still) and took an OC job. Hard to consider yourself a #2 after being the #1 guy but some of those big P5 Coordinator jobs still pay a heck of a lot more than NDSU's HC position. Plus, people see you each week and can evaluate you better than if you take a G5 job and whiff on your 1 to 2 times a year against the big guys.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 20th, 2018, 04:28 PM

You and I are going to have some words in the next tailgate...:D

No way Oregon blows out the Bison....win maybe but the Bison will be right there.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 20th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Not making the quarterfinals or semis. We pay our staff top 10% in the country. We better be getting a top 10% or even higher than that. We should be competing for National Titles every year.

I think we definitely will be the next few years with these monster recruiting classes that have come in, including the incoming class.

BDKJMU
April 24th, 2018, 05:46 PM
The contract extension Mike Houston signed with JMU in September has a $1M buyout if he goes to a P5 school and $500k if he goes to a G5 school before 2/1/2020 (link (https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/dnronline.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/9f/f9f36b8c-e4f6-11e7-8804-efa98a28f636/5a396f97df9be.pdf.pdf)). I wonder if NDSU is trying to get something closer to that since Klieman's buyout was dwarfed by that. I doubt Klieman is going to get the $515k base salary (with media/appearance fees) that Houston is getting from JMU though so NDSU probably doesn't have as much leverage there.

If I'm reading what's been reported on Houston's contract right and my math isn't jacked up:
$515,311 base ($390,311 + $125,000 from "anonymous donors').
$50,000 retention bonus on Feb. 1.
$565,311 2018 guaranteed.

All of his bonuses and incentives stay the same from the initial extension he inked after the 2016 season. Max possible according to the below article $145,625:
$31,250 making playoffs.
$5,000 winning CAA.
$46,875 winning 3 playoff games ($15,625 per playoff win).
$31,250 making NC game.
$31,250 winning NC.
https://jamesmadison.rivals.com/news/houston-nets-big-raise

Total max possible 2018: $710,936 ($565,311 guaranteed + $145,625 max performance incentives)

Think there's some ancillary stuff like country club dues & car payments, but I don't feel like looking it up..

Serpentor
April 24th, 2018, 06:40 PM
100+ teams wish they had that problem...just ONCE...xthumbsupx

I'd kill for a one-point win on a controversial final play with the other team complaining about it for the entire off-season.

Oh cruel hand of fate...