PDA

View Full Version : Little-noticed FCS Rule Change

Lehigh Football Nation
April 18th, 2018, 04:32 PM
A silly (and obscure) recruiting restriction is going away for FCS teams. The NCAA tries hard to prevent people from using recruits to get jobs – and to keep schools from making hiring decisions based on which parent, uncle, or high school coach might give them the best shot to land some particular recruit. The main rule that enforces this goal is a restriction on FBS teams hiring any of these people to “non-coaching” staff positions for two years before and after a recruit arrives on campus.

Another rule has prevented both FBS and FCS programs from hiring “individuals associated” with recruits to work at camps and clinics. The NCAA has rolled back the FCS part of that rule, because it turns out programs luring recruits by hiring their family members and high school coaches is just not that big an issue in FCS football. (edited)

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/4/18/17254176/ncaa-rule-changes-former-players-alcohol-fcs-redshirt

Um... I couldn't disagree more with the author of this piece.

What was the true rationale for revoking this rule, which, if you believe the author, was actually working?

RichH2
April 18th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Is this a real issue in FCS or just much ado about nothing.

WestCoastAggie
April 19th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Is this a real issue in FCS or just much ado about nothing.

Only time will tell, unless it's somehow rolled into basketball recruiting for non-P5/G5 teams.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Anyone who thinks FCS coaches will not do this to their advantage is bat**** crazy. It's a tactic that's commonly done I believe at the high school level.

Thumper 76
April 19th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Anyone who thinks FCS coaches will not do this to their advantage is bat**** crazy. It's a tactic that's commonly done I believe at the high school level.

Sure.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk