PDA

View Full Version : LSU Freshman QB to Sam Houston???

kats89
July 22nd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Here is a clip from the Huntsville Item regarding Jordan Reever

Josh McCown, Chris Chaloupka and Dustin Long have arguably been three of the best quarterbacks in Sam Houston State history and the three names litter the SHSU record book.

They all played just one year and each at the time put up the best single season of passing in school history. They also have something else in common, all three transferred to SHSU from a Division I-A school.

Noah Allen, who will compete for the starting job this year with sophomore Wade Pate, is also a transfer, who came to SHSU from Oklahoma last season. He has two years left to play.

So the question on many Bearkat football fans' minds is 'Who is next?'

While the Kats appear to be set at QB for a while, rumor has it that new head coach Todd Whitten has begun laying the bricks at quarterback for many years to come. With Allen still having two years to play and Pate three, SHSU should be in good shape.

But just to be sure, Whitten is reportedly bringing in another arm to Huntsville. Several sources at SHSU have said freshman Jordan Reever has left LSU and will play for the Kats this year. Reever was going to have a chance to compete for the QB job in Baton Rouge until the Tigers signed highly-touted QB prospect Ryan Perrilloux on signing day.

Reever (6-2, 205) is a product of Garland where he completed 530-of-865 passes for 6,622 yards and 70 touchdowns in 26 games as a starter at South Garland High. His senior season was abbreviated when he suffered a dislocated elbow. South Garland was 9-3 in 2003 and won its first district championship in 30 years.

Reever was one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation in 2004 with offers on the table from both Syracuse and BYU. But he chose LSU after watching the Tigers win a share of the national championship less than two months earlier. Max Emfinger, a national recruiting expert rated Reever as the No. 9 high school quarterback in the nation ahead of Erik Ainge, who started at Tennessee as a true freshman this past season. He was the fourth rated signal caller from the state of Texas behind Rhett Bomar (Oklahoma), Stephen McGee (Texas A&M) and Graham Harrell (Texas Tech).

Whoever gets the nod under center this year is going to have to have guys to throw the ball to. SHSU is getting a little help in that area as well. Michael Malone, a transfer from Virginia Tech, has been working out with Pate and Allen this summer, and is expected to be a Bearkat next year.

Here is the link to the full article.

Huntsville Item (http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/07/22/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt)

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2005, 07:30 AM
It's funny. All the Sam fans on the BSF seem like they didn't see this coming. Someone mentioned it on the BSF over a month ago. For what it's worth, there are some knowledgable people (mostly students/fans who know the players) that leak things on that site and even this site, from different schools. It's not my business in leaking things, even if I know a great deal, but I think the BSF should get use to holding certain posters with more regard.

Sam_Kats
July 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
This should also bring in some top WR's. So, this guy will have 3 or 4 yrs of eligibility left? Maybe I overlooked it in the article. Hope he finds a home at SH because he'll be there a while.

kats89
July 22nd, 2005, 10:33 AM
It's funny. All the Sam fans on the BSF seem like they didn't see this coming. Someone mentioned it on the BSF over a month ago. For what it's worth, there are some knowledgable people (mostly students/fans who know the players) that leak things on that site and even this site, from different schools. It's not my business in leaking things, even if I know a great deal, but I think the BSF should get use to holding certain posters with more regard.

TT, I remember some talk about this subject, but with what we have at QB already, I just didn't give it much more thought. I am all for it thought. Can never have enough QB's. I like the kids stats!!!!

golionsgo
July 22nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
Here is a clip from the Huntsville Item regarding Jordan Reever

Josh McCown, Chris Chaloupka and Dustin Long have arguably been three of the best quarterbacks in Sam Houston State history and the three names litter the SHSU record book.

They all played just one year and each at the time put up the best single season of passing in school history. They also have something else in common, all three transferred to SHSU from a Division I-A school.

Noah Allen, who will compete for the starting job this year with sophomore Wade Pate, is also a transfer, who came to SHSU from Oklahoma last season. He has two years left to play.

So the question on many Bearkat football fans' minds is 'Who is next?'

While the Kats appear to be set at QB for a while, rumor has it that new head coach Todd Whitten has begun laying the bricks at quarterback for many years to come. With Allen still having two years to play and Pate three, SHSU should be in good shape.

But just to be sure, Whitten is reportedly bringing in another arm to Huntsville. Several sources at SHSU have said freshman Jordan Reever has left LSU and will play for the Kats this year. Reever was going to have a chance to compete for the QB job in Baton Rouge until the Tigers signed highly-touted QB prospect Ryan Perrilloux on signing day.

Reever (6-2, 205) is a product of Garland where he completed 530-of-865 passes for 6,622 yards and 70 touchdowns in 26 games as a starter at South Garland High. His senior season was abbreviated when he suffered a dislocated elbow. South Garland was 9-3 in 2003 and won its first district championship in 30 years.

Reever was one of the top quarterback prospects in the nation in 2004 with offers on the table from both Syracuse and BYU. But he chose LSU after watching the Tigers win a share of the national championship less than two months earlier. Max Emfinger, a national recruiting expert rated Reever as the No. 9 high school quarterback in the nation ahead of Erik Ainge, who started at Tennessee as a true freshman this past season. He was the fourth rated signal caller from the state of Texas behind Rhett Bomar (Oklahoma), Stephen McGee (Texas A&M) and Graham Harrell (Texas Tech).

Whoever gets the nod under center this year is going to have to have guys to throw the ball to. SHSU is getting a little help in that area as well. Michael Malone, a transfer from Virginia Tech, has been working out with Pate and Allen this summer, and is expected to be a Bearkat next year.

Here is the link to the full article.

Huntsville Item (http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/07/22/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt)

Not that he won't eventually be productive at Sam Houston, but Reever wasn't even a scholarship player at LSU. He was a walk-on.

JohnStOnge
July 23rd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Well, since a Lion broached the subject I'll go ahead and say it: I was wondering about why, living here in the Baton Rouge area and listening to discussion of LSU football on sports talk radio all the time, I'd never heard of him. The walk on thing explains it.

That doesn't mean he can't be really good...it's just that I'd never heard or read his name come up in discussions of the quarterback situation or even in Unless something was going on that none of the fans or boosters that call Sports Talk all the time knew about I don't think he'd have been a factor in the quarterback situation at LSU regardless of who LSU signed or didn't sign last season. It would've been between Matt Flynn and Jamarcus Russell competing for the job unless there would've been an injury. Of course Josh McCown wasn't going to start at SMU even though he was an NFL caliber quarterback...so that's not necessarily an indication of what Reever's potential is.

kats89
July 23rd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Well, since a Lion broached the subject I'll go ahead and say it: I was wondering about why, living here in the Baton Rouge area and listening to discussion of LSU football on sports talk radio all the time, I'd never heard of him. The walk on thing explains it.

That doesn't mean he can't be really good...it's just that I'd never heard or read his name come up in discussions of the quarterback situation or even in Unless something was going on that none of the fans or boosters that call Sports Talk all the time knew about I don't think he'd have been a factor in the quarterback situation at LSU regardless of who LSU signed or didn't sign last season. It would've been between Matt Flynn and Jamarcus Russell competing for the job unless there would've been an injury. Of course Josh McCown wasn't going to start at SMU even though he was an NFL caliber quarterback...so that's not necessarily an indication of what Reever's potential is.

Yes he did have to walk on. Most of it was his fault though because he told everyone he was mostly interested in LSU and everyone else withdrew their schollie offers. See the link on a story I found.

We are very lucky to get this kid though. He is going to have to play his way into the position because we are very deep at QB already.

Jordan Reever (http://byu.scout.com/2/230245.html)