PDA

View Full Version : UNC-Greensboro and UNC-Wilmington

Bison Nation
February 27th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Some might call this a troll...I don't, I just call it provoking discussion and it's not meant to upset anyone.

I just got back from Greensboro today. Is there a GOOD reason why UNCG doesn't have a football team?

I spent my 1st anniversary on the beach in Wilmington. Is there a GOOD reason why UNCW doesn't have a football team?

Neither school makes serious waves in NCAA men's basketball (not on the national level). UNCG plays in the Greensboro Collesium once a year...against Duke, where the arena sells out with Duke fans who can't get a ticket in Durham.

To me, I am left feeling that the basketball programs of these schools are little more than vanity programs...denying football for petty reasons could be applied to the basketball programs as well. Both schools have existing soccer stadiums that could be expanded for football (not to insane levels, but to several thousand that would fit the small end of the FCS scale).

So please...let's have some reasons...and while I respect Greensboro College and Guildford College for fielding football teams, I'm looking for reasons why the UNC schools aren't stepping up.

BearsCountry
February 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I think UNCG is a school that is basically all girls, correct me if I am wrong for those from NC.

UNHWildCats
February 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM
A football team can be expensive.

Mountaineer
February 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
UNCG/W have actually fielded pretty decent basketball programs in the past (this year is a down year for both). G also does amazingly well with their men's soccer program.

As for UNCW, like UNCC (much to MplsBison's chagrin), it has a repuation as a commuter school. As for G, I have no idea. Why not call up the Chancellor and ask her? :rolleyes: ;)

ASU Kep
February 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I've been to some parties down at Greensboro for the sole reason that the school is indeed almost entirely chicks. Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure it's in the 70/30 or even 80/20 range. While this isn't quite a death sentence for football, it's not a very good sign.

Factor in that NC already has 5 BCS schools (NCSU, Duke, WFU, ECU, UNC) as well as the reigning FCS superpower ASU and boatloads of other FCS'ers and D-II'ers and support for a UNCG team just doesn't have much room to grow.

ASU Kep
February 27th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Compare this to my home state of Georgia for instance. GA has TWO BCS teams and two FCS teams (GSU and Prairie View).

Kennesaw State is a school that really needs to get a damn football program going.

Mountaineer
February 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM
You were right Kep.

From the G website:

Approximately 16,632 students (32 percent male, 68 percent female) from 49 states and 70 countries including 12,692 traditional undergraduates.

My mom is an alum of UNCG, but it's been a long time since I've lived in Greensboro and wasn't sure. :nod:

citdog
February 27th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Do they ah, got a graduate school up there? That's alot of girls!

Mr. C
February 27th, 2007, 09:52 PM
UNCG is also a commuter school. They get next to no support for their basketball team. Why would anyone think they would draw for football?

Mountaineer
February 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Do they ah, got a graduate school up there? That's alot of girls!

xlolx xlolx

Yeah, there's a graduate school. UNCG used to be a women's college hence the large proportion that's still of the female variety. ;)

appsfan
February 27th, 2007, 10:36 PM
As an UNCG alumnus (BTW, my wife went to ASU and my daughter is there now) your general points are on target. UNCG has had mixed basketball success (NCAA bids '96 and '01, NIT '02) and had a decent year this year (second in the Southern Conference North division.) UNCG went co-ed in 1963, offers multiple doctorate programs, and is one of 3 NC schools with a Phi Beta Kappa Chapter. It does have a heavy female to male ratio, but the percentage isn't much greater than UNC-CH. UNCG has been a perennial Men's Soccer power with Division II and Division III National Championships. Since going Division I in the early 90's, the soccer program has more than once been ranked #1 nationally and in '05 entered the playoffs as the #1 Seed. OK, enough background information.

Will UNCG ever have football? In a word- no. There is not enough money to properly fund a program (Women's College legacy,) an AD who is happy with the staus quo, or enough interest in the community. Greensboro is an ACC town (headquarters there) and anything else is considered second rate. I can't comment on UNCW, but it is not going to happen at the G.:nono:

Sly Fox
February 28th, 2007, 12:46 AM
When did Prairie View move to Georgia? :rotateh:

BeauFoster
February 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Don't forget about the Title IX implications with Greensboro. They would have to add a lot more than just a football team.

rufus
February 28th, 2007, 09:26 AM
JMU has something like a 60/40 or 65/35 female/male ratio, but it doesn't seem to stop us from having a decent football program. I think the fact that UNCG is apparently a commuter school may present a bigger challenge than the gender ratio.

I'm not really sure why UNCW doesn't start a football program. They have a spot waiting for them in the CAA. Then again, they also have one of the most incompetent ADs in the country. Look at his handling of their basketball coaching situation if you need proof.

Green Cookie Monster
February 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM
I think UNCG is a school that is basically all girls, correct me if I am wrong for those from NC.

your wrong.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 10:46 AM
According to OPE,

UNCG has about 3400 FTU males and 7200 FTU females, about 32/68.

JMU has 6400 FTU males and 10100 FTU females, about 38/62.

NoSpinZone
February 28th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Just about every state school seems to be about 40 % male 60 % female. So where are the sausage party university's. Got to be a couple on here.:hurray:

dbackjon
February 28th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Just about every state school seems to be about 40 % male 60 % female. So where are the sausage party university's. Got to be a couple on here.:hurray:

The Citadel.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Agriculture schools (male female):

NDSU 5700 4700

SDSU 4000 3700

Montana St 5800 5000

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 28th, 2007, 11:41 AM
...and probably anything Tech. :rolleyes: Schools known for Engineering, Architecture, and generally math and sciences along with the Aggie schools will likely have larger percentages of men.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Men Women:

Georgia Tech 8500 3300

Virginia Tech 8700 12000

Texas Tech 12700 10300

Kinda surprised about VT. GT, ouch!

Mountaineer
February 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Don't forget about the Title IX implications with Greensboro. They would have to add a lot more than just a football team.

Precisely, just taking JMU for example and the non-revenue sports they're cutting having to deal with Title IX. :(

swimming, wrestling, cross country, indoor track, outdoor track, gymnastics and archery

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119987&ran=160561

I think it'd be cool to see G add football someday down the road, but not at the expense of other athletic programs.

th0m
February 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I've been to some parties down at Greensboro for the sole reason that the school is indeed almost entirely chicks. Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure it's in the 70/30 or even 80/20 range. While this isn't quite a death sentence for football, it's not a very good sign.

Factor in that NC already has 5 BCS schools (NCSU, Duke, WFU, ECU, UNC) as well as the reigning FCS superpower ASU and boatloads of other FCS'ers and D-II'ers and support for a UNCG team just doesn't have much room to grow.

According to collegeboard.com, UNCG is 71% female. While a large percentage, I'm sure there are other FCS schools that come close to this number. JMU is at 65% according to the same source. Of course, having a team and starting a team are two things completely different. Plus it's not like there's a void of football teams in the state already.

rufus
February 28th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Precisely, just taking JMU for example and the non-revenue sports they're cutting having to deal with Title IX. :(

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=119987&ran=160561

I think it'd be cool to see G add football someday down the road, but not at the expense of other athletic programs.
JMU was able to to cut sports to comply with Title IX because we already sponsored 28 sports. UNCG wouldn't have that option, since they only sponsor 14 sports. Isn't 13 or 14 the Division I minimum? The only Title IX compliance option is adding teams.

And remember, it's not just about scholarships. It's also about number of participants. Take JMU's football team. We have about 80 scholarship players (approx 40 full and 40 partial), and another 20 or so non-scholarship players. If UNCG were to add football, they would need to add around 63 womens scholarships and around 100 female participants.

Mountaineer
February 28th, 2007, 01:19 PM
JMU was able to to cut sports to comply with Title IX because we already sponsored 28 sports. UNCG wouldn't have that option, since they only sponsor 14 sports. Isn't 13 or 14 the Division I minimum? The only Title IX compliance option is adding teams.

And remember, it's not just about scholarships. It's also about number of participants. Take JMU's football team. We have about 80 scholarship players (approx 40 full and 40 partial), and another 20 or so non-scholarship players. If UNCG were to add football, they would need to add around 63 womens scholarships and around 100 female participants.

28 sports?! :eek: :eek: Geez. Thanks for clearing that up rufus. :nod: I guess looking at it that way it's not that big of a deal. I'm glad that a lot of the guys who are having their programs cut have decided to stay at JMU for the education. :rotateh:

Spot on about UNCG, it'd take a crap load of money to get football off the ground there.

BigApp
February 28th, 2007, 02:30 PM
agree, UNC-G will never have football. additionally, a very large % of their male population is, ummm, errr, ahhh...."proud"

dbackjon
February 28th, 2007, 02:53 PM
agree, UNC-G will never have football. additionally, a very large % of their male population is, ummm, errr, ahhh...."proud"

Proud to live in Greensboro?

Proud to be an American?

BigApp
February 28th, 2007, 03:07 PM
yes :rolleyes:

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Anyone who doesn't go to App is a homosexual according to BigApp.

Appstate29
February 28th, 2007, 05:08 PM

I take the same stance. Gotta support fellow Apps.

citdog
February 28th, 2007, 06:29 PM
"Not that there is anything wrong with that" xlolx

Cleets
February 28th, 2007, 06:35 PM
"Not that there is anything wrong with that" xlolx

Citdog,
I'm in Birmingham (beautful... amazing weather)
again.. any cool places I should see tonight..?

Hey, and Friday I'll be in Atlanta going to see "Clutch" at center stage...! if you're around you should go!!!! (rock-on)

;

dbackjon
February 28th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I'm an Appalachian Grad. I'm a member of the Former Athletes Association at Appalachian. I'm a Yosef Club member (Club Room Level). I'm also gay.

Sorry, I cannot support my fellow Apps here.

Welcome!

That makes 2 App State, 1 New Hampshire and 1 NAU openly gay posters on AGS.

Plus MarkCCU, whenever he comes out of the closet.

th0m
February 28th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I'm an Appalachian Grad. I'm a member of the Former Athletes Association at Appalachian. I'm a Yosef Club member (Club Room Level). I'm also gay.

And you shouldn't. Homosexual students are enrolled at every university. This is not some kind of virus that infiltrates certain populations and is typical of some sort of demographic. I may be Dutch, but god I hope I am not the only one that sees this like some portray it to be.

citdog
February 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Plus MarkCCU, whenever he comes out of the closet.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :nono: :eek:

appfan2008
March 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Too many other major football schools in the state for uncg/w/c to start football anytime soon.

Also uncg is a rather proud school...

I am from atlanta and a lot of my friends have gone to Ga Tech (guys of course) and they say it is even worse than you can imagine... while the majority of colleges and universities these days are dominated by the females... GaTech is dominated by males and they say it SUX

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
When you have 2.5 trees for every pot, that's a lot of trees that aren't getting planted.

Appstate29
March 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM

sorry, that was a joke, I was being sarcastic, you have to know who MPLSbison is.

BigApp
March 3rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

you still wash your crackpipe in the dishwasher, don't you?

GeauxColonels
March 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
If both schools looked to field teams...could they be successful (or at least competitive) on a consistent basis? There are alreadya LOT of teams in North Carolina without those two.

As it was stated before, fielding a football team is expensive, starting a program from the ground up is exponentially expensive. If they do not feel as though the communities would support these teams (or if the university couldn't field a team that would warrant support) then it may be best NOT to have teams at those universities.

CCUBeachChicken
March 3rd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I live around 30 miles from Wilmington. Pretty much all of our tv is Wilmington-based. It has been in the news recently about UNCW adding football. There is strong support among the university family, and it appears likely that it WILL happen. The question is, when? probably not for a while. Even though UNCW is a commuter school, it has a lot of support in it's atheletics programs. There are tons of alums and fans here where I live, that go to basketball games often.

ngineer
March 3rd, 2007, 11:01 PM
UNCG has a very good national reputation in a number of academic areas, but many are those that attract more women. The all-women legacy has led to this. They do have decent facilities with their soccer and baseball stadiums, but of course, those sports don't need anything near the investiment football would require. My daugher went there for her Master's in Public Health so I got see the campus a few times and city. It's a very nice area, and if the female/male ratio ever got more 'in balance' then football could be a consideration down the road--but a long way down the road.