PDA

View Full Version : NDSU to play Central Michigan

roadwarrior
February 27th, 2007, 07:36 PM
According to a local tv reporter, NDSU will travel to play I-A Central Michigan of the MAC conference this fall. The date is unknown at this time.

bisonguy
February 27th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hopefully NDSU won't need two FBS teams in 2008 to fill out the schedule.

Fresno St. Alum
February 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM
That's a game that NDSU can win. CMU was actually good last year, but that was a first time in a long time. Minnesota is better than CMU and NDSU took them to the brink(I know it doesn't mean a win).

UNHWildCats
February 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM
from Central Michigans website

MOUNT PLEASANT – Road trips to Kansas, Purdue and Clemson, and a home game with Army, make up the nonconference portion of the 2007 Central Michigan University football schedule.

The Chippewas open the 2007 season at Kansas Sept. 1, then travel to Purdue Sept. 15. CMU hosts Army Oct. 13 before visiting Clemson Oct. 20.

NDSUFREAK
February 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM
This big announcment isn't a home game though. We need them....and we will only have 5 this year; same as last year. Or I should say OFFICIAL home games with the game at Minnesota being played in a home atmosphere..;)

Bison05
February 27th, 2007, 08:15 PM
UNHWILDCATS, it appears that some MAC teams screwed up and scheduled 5 OOC games, so CMU had to look for another OOC game.

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2007, 08:19 PM
This game isn't September 22nd now, is it? Hope not...

BearsCountry
February 27th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I think the MAC adding Temple to the east division causes the change. Some schools are only going to play 2 east division teams, thus the need for another game.

NDSUFREAK
February 27th, 2007, 09:02 PM

I hope not too. I'm sure we wouldn't give up a home game. Might be Nov. 3rd?

JBB
February 27th, 2007, 09:14 PM
The Gophers were really good last year, better than Ball State and they werent bad. Gophers will be better this year.

Central Michigan was really good too. I dont know how graduation treated them but this is going to be one of the best teams NDSU has ever faced.

This is big news in Fargo. Lights are on in the basement of the Fabulous Fargo Dome! :thumbsup:

bisonguy
February 27th, 2007, 09:23 PM

Seriously doubt it.

NDSU is still looking for another game to fill out the schedule, not looking for games to buy out.

Go_Herd
February 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Schedule of what NDSU has left open. The 1st and 22nd of Sep and Nov 3rd are still open
Hopefully a few of you fans can make it up on the 15th of September.

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11844&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2007

Talk of the date for Central Michigan is speculated to be the 22nd of September.

Bison05
February 27th, 2007, 09:57 PM

GoBison.com, has us playing you on the 15th not the 22nd.

TexasTerror
February 27th, 2007, 10:32 PM
GoBison.com, has us playing you on the 15th not the 22nd.

Alright, that makes sense...

SHSU had open dates on Sept 15th and Sept 22nd...

Glad to have it a done deal!

Posted it on KatFans.com and hope to see some Bison come on our board!

http://www.katfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4747

Go_Herd
February 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Fargo Channel 6--WDAY news at 10:00

Central Michigan game signed sealed and delivered.

September 22nd

NDSU gets paid $200,000.

Last Year.
Ball State 150,000
Minnesota 300,000

LakesBison
February 28th, 2007, 01:26 AM
CMU $200K and Minnesota $300 K (AD Gene Taylor is negiotiating for more) 62,500 in metrodome last year meant something, and this year NDSU's ticket vs gophers stands alone *attached with IOWA last year*

I would expect $350-400K from Minnesota.

Sept 1st and Nov 3rd is open dates for NDSU.

Im still hearing At Nevada, At Appy State as possibilities.

*Might as well make some MONEY if the dang NCAA wont let us in the playoffs!*

X-Factor
February 28th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Fargo Channel 6--WDAY news at 10:00

Central Michigan game signed sealed and delivered.

September 22nd

NDSU gets paid $200,000.

Last Year.
Ball State 150,000
Minnesota 250,000

NDSU was payed 300k for last year's game @ the dome.

Mich Griz
February 28th, 2007, 05:33 AM
CMU looses three potential NFL draft choices but more importantly they loose Head Coach Brian Kelly. Quinn, the OC, that coached CMU to a bowl win followed Kelly to Cincinnati. It will be hard to say what kind of team the Chips will be. The Bison could get another BCS win in Mt Pleasant. What did the Bison graduate?

BISON Thunder
February 28th, 2007, 07:41 AM
CMU looses three potential NFL draft choices but more importantly they loose Head Coach Brian Kelly. Quinn, the OC, that coached CMU to a bowl win followed Kelly to Cincinnati. It will be hard to say what kind of team the Chips will be. The Bison could get another BCS win in Mt Pleasant. What did the Bison graduate?

Biggest losses were running back (Steffes) and dback (Dahl). Willl need several players to step up to match last years results. Like all teams, injuries will play a key...Bison will not be too deep. Just one man's opinion...:twocents:

CharlestonAppFan
February 28th, 2007, 07:57 AM

That's what I remember when I watched their bowl game a few months ago. Who is their head coach now? Someone promoted from inside their staff? I saw one of their OL that was suppose to be at the combine but didn't work out. Looks like a beast, so that's a good thing he's not there.

AmsterBison
February 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Biggest losses were running back (Steffes) and dback (Dahl). Willl need several players to step up to match last years results. Like all teams, injuries will play a key...Bison will not be too deep. Just one man's opinion...:twocents:

NDSU also lost three of the four starting defensive linemen - including Justin Frick, a guy who simply took over some games. Travis White at WR is a big loss too. However, I'd say that losing a half dozen or so great guys every year is pretty much the norm for most teams.

NDSU_grad
February 28th, 2007, 10:40 AM
NDSU also lost three of the four starting defensive linemen - including Justin Frick, a guy who simply took over some games. Travis White at WR is a big loss too. However, I'd say that losing a half dozen or so great guys every year is pretty much the norm for most teams.
Actually just two of the 4; Lardinois and Faribairn will be back. But you're right, we didn't lose that much in numbers but we arguably lost 4 of our top 6 or so players.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Frick, Dahl, White, and Steffes are the toughest losses.

The MAC has 13 members.

Think about it.

How do 13 members each play 8 conference games in an 8 weeks conference schedule?

Can't happen.

You need 9 weeks.

Therefore, 8 MAC teams will only play 7 conference games.

CMU lost Kelly. They won't be as good as last season.

THE HERD
February 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Actually just two of the 4; Lardinois and Faribairn will be back. But you're right, we didn't lose that much in numbers but we arguably lost 4 of our top 6 or so players.
I really think Lardinois is going to start kicking some butt these next two years, all he has to do is put on a little more muscle and I think he could be a force. He knows how to get to the QB.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
February 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I actually think you have an easier time with Minnesota than you will with CMU. Central Michigan's coach is relatively new and has turned things around there dramatically. Expect a tough game there. Big10 will likely overlook you, or they're just not good outside of Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin. See UNH over Northwestern, Indiana usually sucks, and Illinois has not been good for a while. Minnesota is not easy, but I expect the Bison really felt they let one slip through their fingers last year. They won't make the same mistake twice.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Central Michigan's coach is relatively new and has turned things around there dramatically.

Indeed, Brian Kelly did a great job turning CMU into a MAC champion in just 3 years.

Unfortunately for CMU, Kelly is now at Cincinnati and he took the top coaching talent with him.

Big10 will likely overlook you

They already did that last season.

They'll be ready this season.

Ronbo
February 28th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Hmmm... Looking over CMU's roster, let's see what they have in 2007.

Their QB is back. He passed for 3031 yards and 26 TD's and ran for 735 yards and 7 TD's. Good golly!

They have their 1st and 2nd string RB's back. The two of them combined for 1100 yards and 11 TD's.

They have 3 WR's back that combined for 161 catches, 1753 yards, and 17 TD's.

They have their top two TE's back. Looks like they have 2-3 O-Line starters back.

On Defense CMU returns their top tackler and 7 out of the top 10 tacklers and 15 of the top 20 tacklers.

Nope, looks like CMU is loaded for 2007. Would be a great win for NDSU.

Go Bison
February 28th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hmmm... Looking over CMU's roster, let's see what they have in 2007.

Their QB is back. He passed for 3031 yards and 26 TD's and ran for 735 yards and 7 TD's. Good golly!

They have their 1st and 2nd string RB's back. The two of them combined for 1100 yards and 11 TD's.

They have 3 WR's back that combined for 161 catches, 1753 yards, and 17 TD's.

They have their top two TE's back. Looks like they have 2-3 O-Line starters back.

On Defense CMU returns their top tackler and 7 out of the top 10 tacklers and 15 of the top 20 tacklers.

Nope, looks like CMU is loaded for 2007. Would be a great win for NDSU.

Bring on the competition! :hurray: :hurray:

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
They don't have Kelly or his top assistants.

You can have all the talent in the world. If you can't coach it doesn't matter.

Ronbo
February 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM
How do you know the new coach is a bum? He might be better than Kelly. The guy that took Kelly's place at GVSU has won the NC almost every year.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah it must've been hard to recruit the best DII players in the country to a team that won the NC in 02 and 03 and finished 2nd in 01.

Not many other competitive DII teams left to boot.

I don't see any way you can compare GVSU post Kelly to CMU post Kelly.

Mich Griz
February 28th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Kelly was a great coach. I thought Michigan State should have taken him. He's coached for 12+years in Michigan has a good relationship with a lot of HS coaches. He runs an exciting O (notice the QB's stats and he only a FR). They loose a great O lineman (Johnson I think is his name) projected 3rd rounder and the D lineman Baziun was the MVP of the East West Shrine game. Quinn was the OC and O line coach and coached during their bowl win but all those coaches followed Kelly to Cincinnati. Kelly and his sucessor did well at GVSU but GVSU has it made and should be a FCS school. They have almost 30.000 students and they get a lot of kids that aren't Big Ten quality and don't want to go to Eastern Mich, WMU or CMU (until Kelly got there) to get blown up in body bag games the MAC is known for. Or they get a lot of kids that drop down because there isn't any FCS teams in Michigan. With Mighigan St 50 miles down the road the Chips don't draw real well however they are well funded have great facilities and are struttin' tall right now. The crowd will depend on wether State is home and who they play. Their new coach is from W Virginia and he runs the same type O as Kelly so certainly the talent Kelly recruited will be to the new guys (Jones) liking. It will be a tough game as all road games are and playing up (FCS) presents an additional challenge. But I like the Bison's chances. They better be ready to cover depth and width on the Chips. As well as score often.

NDSUFREAK
February 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM
CMU $200K and Minnesota $300 K (AD Gene Taylor is negiotiating for more) 62,500 in metrodome last year meant something, and this year NDSU's ticket vs gophers stands alone *attached with IOWA last year*

I would expect $350-400K from Minnesota.

Sept 1st and Nov 3rd is open dates for NDSU.

Im still hearing At Nevada, At Appy State as possibilities.

*Might as well make some MONEY if the dang NCAA wont let us in the playoffs!*

No way in God's green earth will that happen, lakes. (btw, long time no read!) We have 4 home games. We need at least 5.

ndsubison
February 28th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Yeah it must've been hard to recruit the best DII players in the country to a team that won the NC in 02 and 03 and finished 2nd in 01.

Not many other competitive DII teams left to boot.

I don't see any way you can compare GVSU post Kelly to CMU post Kelly.

I disagree with most of your post. Kelly built a dynasty at GVSU that allowed them to recruit, that made the talent want to go there. The guy they have now is building on that. Boise State isn't doing too bad after Dan "Go Play Intramurals, Brother!" Hawkins left. It's all attributeable to good coaching, building a tradition and maintaining that tradition. Now, just because Kelly is now at Cincy, doesn't mean Central Mich is no longer any good. I feel that if NDSU plays their tails off, there's a chance they could win this game. However, I also feel there's a chance that NDSU could run into a buzz saw on this one.

cosmo here
March 1st, 2007, 05:07 PM
They don't have Kelly or his top assistants.

You can have all the talent in the world. If you can't coach it doesn't matter.

Lefevour (QB) and Anderson (WR) were the only freshman combo to lead their team in passing and receiving yardage last year in I-A football. Sneed (RB) was a freshman All-American at tailback the year before that. Red Keith (MLB) is one of the top returning linebackers in the country next year.

and from what I've heard, Butch Jones and his staff are doing a really nice job building on what Kelly started. Losing Staley and Bazuin will hurt, but CMU definitely has a chance to repeat as MAC champions. I think it's far-fetched to expect any school at this level to go into Kelly-Shorts Stadium and beat them.

MplsBison
March 1st, 2007, 05:52 PM
Well, dispite all that, when CMU had Kelly, Staley, and Bazuin last season they beat Ball State 18-7 in Mount Pleasant whereas NDSU went to Muncie and beat Ball State 29-24.

We lost some good players and CMU lost some good players, but the core of both teams are back.

The difference is we have our coaches back and they don't.

LakesBison
March 1st, 2007, 06:16 PM
Most important question from Lakesbison to CMU fans.... Where do I party out there?? let me know!

cosmo here
March 2nd, 2007, 09:40 AM
Well, dispite all that, when CMU had Kelly, Staley, and Bazuin last season they beat Ball State 18-7 in Mount Pleasant whereas NDSU went to Muncie and beat Ball State 29-24.

We lost some good players and CMU lost some good players, but the core of both teams are back.

The difference is we have our coaches back and they don't.

I think we're all aware of the flaws of comparative scores within a season, let alone from one year to the next. How did NDSU do against the other MAC teams on its schedule?

The difference is also that CMU is an FBS program and the defending MAC champions. I'm not saying NDSU can't win, just that I don't think they will. To expect a victory is lofty at best, foolish at worst.

MplsBison
March 2nd, 2007, 09:41 AM
CMU is FBS. NDSU is FCS. Jeez.

cosmo here
March 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
CMU is FBS. NDSU is FCS. Jeez.

corrected, the intent was there :rolleyes: . would you like to address the point now . .

MplsBison
March 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
All I can possibly say is that NDSU did very well on the road against the same MAC team that CMU played very well at home.

Therefore, with all other things being equal, I'd expect a very good game.

But they're not equal since CMU lost the coaching staff.

cosmo here
March 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
All I can possibly say is that NDSU did very well on the road against the same MAC team that CMU played very well at home.

Therefore, with all other things being equal, I'd expect a very good game.

But they're not equal since CMU lost the coaching staff.

since things aren't equal, are you expecting NDSU to win, and if they don't will it be a disappointment for the program?

MplsBison
March 2nd, 2007, 10:48 AM
I'm expecting nothing.

JBB
March 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I dont put as much on the coaching change as I do on the returning players. There are some remarkable players on the Chippawas. The QB is at the top of the list. Thats why this game will be so good. NDSU will bring some good players too. The field is going to be loaded with great players on both sides.

X-Factor
March 2nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
This game will probably be ALOT tougher than the UM game to win. First of all, 90% of the guys on the Bison roster want nothing more than to take Minnesota to the woodshed. Some of them were recruited by UM and didn't recieve offers, and some of them wanted to be a Gopher when they were growing up and never got the chance. If there is ever a time in their football career where they put out extra effort it is going to be against the U. Secondly, when NDSU plays in the Metrodome, WE have the home field advantage when it comes to noise, not Minnesota. It reall gets the guys pumed up when they hear 30,000 of their own fans screaming. I am guessing CMU is going to be a much more hostile environment. I still think it is going to be a fun game, and a good chance I will be there as well!