PDA

View Full Version : How does Lauletta stack up against other successful FCS NFL QB's?

dbackjon
April 6th, 2018, 04:18 PM
What's his ceiling?

BisonTru
April 6th, 2018, 04:27 PM
I've been high on Lauletta for a while. I compared him to Jimmy G and I still stand by that. He doesn't have elite arm strength like Wentz and Flacco but he's got enough to play in the NFL.

His footwork poise and decision making are all above average imo. I like his chances of eventually earning a starting job but for now I think a career backup spot starter is likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
April 6th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I've been high on Lauletta for a while. I compared him to Jimmy G and I still stand by that. He doesn't have elite arm strength like Wentz and Flacco but he's got enough to play in the NFL.

His footwork poise and decision making are all above average imo. I like his chances of eventually earning a starting job but for now I think a career backup spot starter is likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think Jimmy G is a fair comparison. That said I think Lauletta is better than Jimmy was at this point. Garroppolo might be lighting it up in the NFL now, but he was rough (by NFL standards) when he showed up. Being Brady’s understudy has done him well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 6th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Very good FCS QB but I don't think he'll be an NFL QB.

We'll see.

Redbird 4th & short
April 6th, 2018, 09:37 PM
I think Jimmy G is a fair comparison. That said I think Lauletta is better than Jimmy was at this point. Garroppolo might be lighting it up in the NFL now, but he was rough (by NFL standards) when he showed up. Being Brady’s understudy has done him well.

Agree with BisonTru and partly with JSU ...

Jimmy G is very good comparison .. I don't know if Lauletta was better as a senior, since Garrapolo had a fantastic senior year. But Lauletta had a better college career than Garrapolo for sure. Always hard to project at next level, but if we were comparing them as colleg seniors, I would have bet on Lauletta, just because he had better college career. That said, Garrapolo is looking good.

But humor me while I dote on a former Redbird QB ... not Matt Brown, who regularly outplayed Garrapolo from 2010-12. Not Tre Roberson who helped take us to Natty. But a backup QB named Cameron Meredith.

Note, QB Meredith got tired of waiting his turn at QB for 3 years and switched to WR his 4th year (RS JR) at ISU. He did ok as WR that 2013 year, but didn't really break out until his SR year ... 2014. So a guy who played QB his whole life converts to WR his 4th year in college.

He convinces Bears during his campo and tryout to take him as UFA in 2015, was on bubble as last WR to make roster only because of an injury, and finishes season with 11 catches. Then in 2016 after some injuries to other WRs became the Bears starter part way into 2016 and led them with 66 catches and 880 yards. Got an ACL tear early in 2017 and missed rest of season.

Today he got an offer sheet from Saints for 2 years at 9.6m, with 5.4m guaranteed. This after moving to WR his 4th year at ISU. Thats how good our ISU QBs are !!!

But I digress ... sorry.

phoenix3
April 9th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I think Lauletta is exactly what the NFL is looking for. Strong, accurate arm and mobile enough to get out of trouble. He's average in height, but thick enough to stay healthy. His decision making will have to be quicker in the NFL, but you can say that about every QB making that transition.