PDA

View Full Version : ESPN+

The Cats
April 3rd, 2018, 02:38 PM
If you watch your favorite FCS team on ESPN3, get ready to start paying for that privilege sometime next year as ESPN rolls out it's new streaming service on April 12, ESPN+.

This new service will have an initial cost of $4.99 per month.

As far as live events go, here’s what the service has:

One MLB game every day during baseball season.
One NHL game every day during hockey season.
A “selection of exclusive main event” boxing fights, and more undercard fights.
Every out-of-market MLS game (subject to blackouts) and local-market Chicago Fire games.
College sports from these conferences: “America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, WAC, and many more.”
PGA Tour coverage including Thursday, Friday, and “some” Saturday and Sunday play.
Grand Slam tennis coverage that’s billed as a “complement” for tennis fans.
Rugby and cricket coverage.

https://deadspin.com/espns-new-4-99-a-month-service-is-taking-away-some-pro-1824262409

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2018/4/2/17190026/espn-plus-streaming-service-april-12

RootinFerDukes
April 3rd, 2018, 02:42 PM
Honestly though, it's only $5. You're spending more for your internet access to look at this message board.

If it means I can get all games easily accessible in streaming format for my entire conference, maybe even all conferences nationwide, I won't hesitate to pay $5/month.

VandalBasher
April 3rd, 2018, 02:44 PM
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollegeFootball/

http://pluto.tv/watch/classic-movies-channel

For Big Sky Conference games, Pluto TV and Root Sports Channel have been outstanding. Has anyone had their team live stream through Facebook?

The Cats
April 3rd, 2018, 02:46 PM
Honestly though, it's only $5. You're spending more for your internet access to look at this message board.

If it means I can get all games easily accessible in streaming format for my entire conference, maybe even all conferences nationwide, I won't hesitate to pay $5/month.

But they are free now on ESPN3. Currently, your IPS provider pays the costs for ESPN3. Not so with ESPN+.

RootinFerDukes
April 3rd, 2018, 02:52 PM
But they are free now on ESPN3. Currently, your IPS provider pays the costs for ESPN3. Not so with ESPN+.

This is specialized content that they have to get additional revenue for to pay for it. Advertisers aren't falling over themselves to cover FCS football, hence why linear TV networks are covering the level less and less with each passing year.

If this gives schools a platform to provide more video, more accessibly and with improved production quality, then I'm all for it. It really depends on what the final product looks like.

If you're paying $5/month to watch the same crappily put together video stream that a student intern makes, then yeah, it may not be worth it. We'll have to see.

BisonTru
April 3rd, 2018, 05:25 PM
We will have to see how this shakes out. If ESPN cannibalizes ESPN3 than why are the ISPs going to keep paying for ESPN3?

NoVABison
April 3rd, 2018, 05:50 PM

Last season almost every MVFC game was on ESPN3, and they were archived after the games ended for replays. It was fantastic. You could spend most of Saturday watching MVFC games. The way I understand it, the MVFC offers the games to ESPN for streaming for free, just to get the exposure. If I have to pay for it, will some of that money trickle down to the MVFC or FCS schools? Over the past few years of watching NDSU games I have noticed that they have been getting more commercials during games instead of this screen saying "game is in commercial break." Would like to see the FCS teams get a share of the pie finally!

The Cats
April 3rd, 2018, 08:16 PM
I notice the CAA is not listed in the conferences participating....

College sports from these conferences: “America East, ASun, Big South, Big West, Horizon, Ivy League, MAAC, MAC, MEAC, Missouri Valley, NEC, Southern Conference, Southland, Summit League, Sun Belt, WAC, and many more.”

clenz
April 3rd, 2018, 08:27 PM

CAA has a NBCSports contract I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Yo Show
April 3rd, 2018, 08:39 PM
To me, it is a money grab. and one that will have me paying $5 a month. Because it is enough to be annoying, but not enough to stop me from watching the FCS football games I want to watch.

Mattymc727
April 4th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Another attempt to get millennials who got rid of cable to stream their product.

IMO, i would certainly pay for it if it if the content was there, and the conferences get some kind of deal out of it. I certainly wont be subscribing right away until I see the benefit. I don't have enough open Saturdays to watch CAA football at a cost anyway.

bluehenbillk
April 4th, 2018, 07:00 AM

The CAA had no deal with any traditional over-the-air network this past year. They broadcasted a few games on the College Sports Live app, most TV games were in-house productions.

UNHWildcat18
April 4th, 2018, 07:10 AM
The CAA had no deal with any traditional over-the-air network this past year. They broadcasted a few games on the College Sports Live app, most TV games were in-house productions.

Hopefully we can get an ESPNwatch (ESPN3) deal for this year. I wish UNH would push NESN to broadcast a game or two

RootinFerDukes
April 4th, 2018, 08:22 AM

It is not because certain unnamed schools in our conference aren't willing to invest to meet ESPN3's minimum production quality standards (i.e. certain number of cameras and angles, certain quality HD cameras, etc.). JMU has hinted they're considering pursuing this independently of the CAA but wanted to gauge our fans willingness to pay a subscription fee to access the content. They sent out a questionnaire a few months back.

RootinFerDukes
April 4th, 2018, 08:24 AM

Not anymore. We now have a CBS Digital contract that ticked many fans in our conference off.

RootinFerDukes
April 4th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Hopefully we can get an ESPNwatch (ESPN3) deal for this year. I wish UNH would push NESN to broadcast a game or two

The thing is local networks are typically willing to air some CAA games but they are at the point where they want the production costs to fall squarely on the school. I think they can cost in the six figure range too.

Professor Chaos
April 4th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Last season almost every MVFC game was on ESPN3, and they were archived after the games ended for replays. It was fantastic. You could spend most of Saturday watching MVFC games. The way I understand it, the MVFC offers the games to ESPN for streaming for free, just to get the exposure. If I have to pay for it, will some of that money trickle down to the MVFC or FCS schools? Over the past few years of watching NDSU games I have noticed that they have been getting more commercials during games instead of this screen saying "game is in commercial break." Would like to see the FCS teams get a share of the pie finally!
The MVFC (and the SLC I believe as well) does have a TV contract with ESPN that stipulates that all conference games and some OOC games will be available on ESPN3: http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/mvfc-espn3-tv-deal

So I'd guess that the MVFC does get something from ESPN... although I'm sure it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

Noryan34
April 4th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Interesting move by ESPN. There viewership is down so to make up for lost revenue they are finding ways to charge more to current customers.

With how many broadcasters they have cut over the years I find it hard to believe that all of sudden ESPN will produce more games. I think it will be ESPN used as the conduit to which local TV is distributed nationally.

Lets' not forget that Disney purchased the regional Fox Sports stuff. So I would imagine the "extra" content and "more" streaming sports contained in this new ESPN+ will be the ones that FS had the rights to.

It will be interesting to see what gets cannibalized from ESPN3 and moves to the subscription service

UAalum72
April 4th, 2018, 12:13 PM
This may save me money if it means not using the Ivy League Network, which charges from $9.95 for a single game or $15.95 per month for the occasional games Albany plays vs. the IL

Bisonator
April 4th, 2018, 01:04 PM
If they are going to start charging for ESPN3 or + or whatever the hell they are going to call it they damn well better get the kinks worked out. No more can't get a game to play or buffering or any other issues or they will hear about it.

katss07
April 4th, 2018, 04:13 PM
I doubt we have to pay for ESPN3 any time soon, but maybe this is a step that way. ESPN3 seems to cover the FCS okay, especially during playoff time. But to pay for it just to watch a few games per weekend would stink!

TheKingpin28
April 4th, 2018, 05:05 PM
It does not matter to me. If SlingTV moves this over to their "sports package" and jumps the price by $5 to $10, my bill would still only be $50 a month instead of $45 to see FCS football. I already pay for the sports package.

Go Green
April 4th, 2018, 05:08 PM
This may save me money if it means not using the Ivy League Network, which charges from $9.95 for a single game or $15.95 per month for the occasional games Albany plays vs. the IL

Here's the Ivy release on the topic.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/news/2018/4/4/general-ivy-league-enhances-exposure-fan-experience-with-long-term-espn-agreement.aspx

I actually didn't renew my ILDN subscription last year because most Dartmouth games were available on other channels. I missed two or three games. I lived. :)

mmiller_34
April 4th, 2018, 06:48 PM
For my monthly multimedia bill (internet, Netflix, amazon prime, Sling TV etc..) it will be “bye bye” Hulu and “hello” ESPN +.

Might be nice to be able to subscribe to the service during the football season only.

ElCid
April 4th, 2018, 07:02 PM

And Netflix is only $12 for unlimited online movies and DVD rentals. It will star low and get jacked up little by little until they feel pain from people dropping it. I am sure $5 is the get you hooked price. Then it will be 9.99, then 15, then 20. Hopefully the conferences drop them and go back to conference run video.

TheKingpin28
April 4th, 2018, 08:31 PM
And Netflix is only $12 for unlimited online movies and DVD rentals. It will star low and get jacked up little by little until they feel pain from people dropping it. I am sure $5 is the get you hooked price. Then it will be 9.99, then 15, then 20. Hopefully the conferences drop them and go back to conference run video.

If they do go this route, I am fine with it, as long as NDSU never has to be a part of the MVFC Game of the Week. It is on par with Jay Walker calling a game.

clenz
April 4th, 2018, 09:38 PM
The MVFC (and the SLC I believe as well) does have a TV contract with ESPN that stipulates that all conference games and some OOC games will be available on ESPN3: http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/mvfc-espn3-tv-deal

So I'd guess that the MVFC does get something from ESPN... although I'm sure it's peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

The MVFC deal is 100% tied to the MVC’s deal with ESPN. The SL sea is its own thing.

RootinFerDukes
April 5th, 2018, 08:12 AM

Welcome to Capitalism.

nodak651
April 5th, 2018, 09:46 AM
Welcome to Capitalism.

Without capitalism, we would be stuck with 280p quality streams, or no streams at all. Who would invest the money to develop better cameras?

nodak651
April 5th, 2018, 09:51 AM
https://www.facebook.com/StadiumCollegeFootball/

http://pluto.tv/watch/classic-movies-channel

For Big Sky Conference games, Pluto TV and Root Sports Channel have been outstanding. Has anyone had their team live stream through Facebook?

Pluto is garbage. Constant buffering and low quality production from most of the Big Sky schools. I have planned to watch multiple games that didn't have audio, or the screen was black until the games were 1/3 or 1/2 over. UND had a football game a couple years ago that was on Pluto's schedule, but it didn't even get aired. The Pluto App also streams games at a lower quality than watchbigsky.com somehow.

Can't wait to pay $5 for a quality stream with our move to the Summit.

Bisonator
April 5th, 2018, 10:16 AM
The MVFC deal is 100% tied to the MVC’s deal with ESPN. The SL sea is its own thing.

How so? Thought they were separate entities although a lot of the same people involved.

BEAR
April 5th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I'll have to pay this for the months football season is running. All of our conference foes are out of state! Long trips to ACU etc wear a budget down. $5 seems like a steal for the weekends I can't go on a road trip. Now they have to improve the quality. ESPN3 just flat out sucked for SLC games. xlolx

dgtw
April 5th, 2018, 11:06 AM
I only care about one FCS game a week. I either attend that or watch on the OVC Digital Network. It isn’t great, but it is free.

BestDaneSinceHamlet
April 5th, 2018, 06:40 PM
I think this means its available to people whose cable services don't provide ESPN3 or for cord cutters. I'd be surprised if they charge for ESPN+ for current E3 subscribers

ElCid
April 5th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Welcome to Capitalism.

That's fine. Good on them if it works. But I don't have to play (or pay) either. And then they lose if enough folks feel the same.

mmiller_34
April 5th, 2018, 11:17 PM
If they do go this route, I am fine with it, as long as NDSU never has to be a part of the MVFC Game of the Week. It is on par with Jay Walker calling a game.

I mute the TV whenever SDSU is in the MVFC Game of the Week or if they play AT Western Illinois in anything.

TheKingpin28
April 6th, 2018, 12:15 AM
I mute the TV whenever SDSU is in the MVFC Game of the Week or if they play AT Western Illinois in anything.It is god awful and some pathetic broadcasting. I turn on 1660 if they are the game of the week.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bison56
April 6th, 2018, 07:36 AM
I refuse to voluntarily give any money to ESPN.

bluehenbillk
April 6th, 2018, 07:44 AM
I think this means its available to people whose cable services don't provide ESPN3 or for cord cutters. I'd be surprised if they charge for ESPN+ for current E3 subscribers

That's my question about ESPN+. If you're not a cord cutter, are you still going to be able to access the same type of content(say FCS football) that you've been able to do in the past through either ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app?

Nor Eastern
April 6th, 2018, 11:31 AM
That's my question about ESPN+. If you're not a cord cutter, are you still going to be able to access the same type of content(say FCS football) that you've been able to do in the past through either ESPN3 or the WatchESPN app?

Yep. The WatchESPN App will probably be hit with an update around 4/11 or 4/12. That App will have the ESPN+ "channel" and you will access the programming just like with ESPN3 if you pay the $5 a month or $49.99 upfront for a year.

clenz
April 6th, 2018, 12:47 PM
How so? Thought they were separate entities although a lot of the same people involved.
They are. The Valleys TV deal with ESPN spells out very specific details for quality standards of broadcasts, who produces and all that. The MVFC deal was written in direct relation to the MVC deal. If the MVC doesn’t have the ESPN deal the Valley Football conference doesn’t have the same deal they have now. It may exist but it wouldn’t be nearly what it is for quality control measures.

Bisonator
April 6th, 2018, 01:06 PM
They are. The Valleys TV deal with ESPN spells out very specific details for quality standards of broadcasts, who produces and all that. The MVFC deal was written in direct relation to the MVC deal. If the MVC doesn’t have the ESPN deal the Valley Football conference doesn’t have the same deal they have now. It may exist but it wouldn’t be nearly what it is for quality control measures.
Yeah so not tied together at all.

AmsterBison
April 7th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Worth it, but I'd appreciate fewer commercials.

RootinFerDukes
April 7th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Worth it, but I'd appreciate fewer commercials.

I actually feel that if we’re watching commercials, at least provide more variety than the same three commercials looping endlessly. It shows what few advertisers want to bother with fcs football I suppose.

SUPharmacist
April 7th, 2018, 08:14 PM
I actually feel that if we’re watching commercials, at least provide more variety than the same three commercials looping endlessly. It shows what few advertisers want to bother with fcs football I suppose.
Three is an improvement.

AmsterBison
April 8th, 2018, 09:54 AM

Good point. I suppose since TV games are going to have the breaks in the action anyway, it would be better to have a variety. I just wish they wouldn't run over the top of the first play of every other series.

Serpentor
April 9th, 2018, 12:44 PM
If you watch your favorite FCS team on ESPN3, get ready to start paying for that privilege sometime next year as ESPN rolls out it's new streaming service on April 12, ESPN+.

This new service will have an initial cost of $4.99 per month.

As far as live events go, here’s what the service has:

One MLB game every day during baseball season.
One NHL game every day during hockey season.
A “selection of exclusive main event” boxing fights, and more undercard fights.
Every out-of-market MLS game (subject to blackouts) and local-market Chicago Fire games.
PGA Tour coverage including Thursday, Friday, and “some” Saturday and Sunday play.
Grand Slam tennis coverage that’s billed as a “complement” for tennis fans.
Rugby and cricket coverage.

https://deadspin.com/espns-new-4-99-a-month-service-is-taking-away-some-pro-1824262409

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2018/4/2/17190026/espn-plus-streaming-service-april-12

You mean now I get to pay for the privilege of watching the same 4 commercials over and over again for 3 hours?

The Cats
April 11th, 2018, 09:15 PM
It's happening now, ESPN is starting to switch programming from ESPN3 to ESPN+ effective this weekend.....

copied from the VMI athletic web site......

The VMI-WCU baseball games originally scheduled for ESPN3 will now be shown on ESPN+ which is a new digital service as part of the redesigned ESPN app which is launching on April 12. To watch the VMI-WCU series, viewers are required to subscribe to the ESPN + service for 4.99/month or 49.99/year. Fans signing up within the first week of launch will get a 30-day free trial, after that point fans would still get a seven day free trial.

For more info click belowhttps://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/04/amex_espn/ (https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/04/amex_espn/?DB_OEM_ID=9800)

The switch was made by ESPN in accordance with its contract agreement with the Southern Conference.

The league office issued a statement regarding the programming switch Tuesday. “Based on its agreement with the Southern Conference, ESPN has the contractual authority to shift collegiate athletic events from ESPN3 to the newly-launched ESPN+. This movement of content is also occurring at many other Division I conferences that partner with ESPN.”

RootinFerDukes
April 12th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Espn3 as we know it now, a no-additional cost to the subscriber model, isn’t going to exist anymore. It’ll all be subscription based content.
I’m personally okay with the $5/month if they invest in improving the quality and experience of the product while at the same time expanding the breadth of content offered (i.e. more FCS football and conferences).
Only time will tell.

100%GRIZ
April 12th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Enjoyed watching a few games from other conferences on ESPN3. Looks like I will be focusing on the Big Boys here on out. Will not pay a dime to ESPN!

nodak651
April 12th, 2018, 10:56 AM
This makes cord cutting a whole lot easier, imo.

The Cats
April 12th, 2018, 11:37 AM
This makes cord cutting a whole lot easier, imo.

The only problem is, ESPN3 is not going away. In my opinion, ESPN will keep many broadcasts on ESPN3, while shifting many games (but not all) to ESPN+. They will want to set it up, where the sports fan feels the need to have BOTH.

Yote 53
April 12th, 2018, 01:14 PM
So basically they will keep the P5 conferences on WatchESPN, and their fans won't have to pay anything extra as it is free to ESPN subscribers, but they are going to squeeze extra dollars out of fans of G5, mid-major, and FCS schools by moving those games over to ESPN+. Great. Who cares if they make people pay extra for UNI football? There won't be any articles written about that, no bad publicity. Take away the ability to stream Alabama football for free on WatchESPN and there will be bad press with many articles written.

A reason to hate ESPN even more than I already do.

Lehigh Football Nation
April 12th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Surprised nobody has talked about the fact that now FCS playoff games are basically going to be PPV, especially for conferences that have broadcast situations (NEC, PL, CAA) that don't involve ESPN at all.

Also, basically, FCS (and P5) folks are being asked to foot the bill for ESPN's poor business decisions. Big 10, Pac 12, P5 conferences don't have to pay ****, basically, if they have ESPN subscriptions.

RootinFerDukes
April 13th, 2018, 11:49 AM
It’s probably a matter of time before P5 products get pushed onto it too. It’ll start with non-FB/MBB sports.

BEAR
April 13th, 2018, 12:56 PM
You mean now I get to pay for the privilege of watching the same 4 commercials over and over again for 3 hours?

Just for you.... (a commercial they played at least twice during timeouts...and might have been the only commercial apart from the univerity's promotional ones. ) xlolx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1JtB6S4GD4

:pumpuke:xshakingmadx:pumpuke:xshakingmadx xdeadhorsexxdeadhorsexxdeadhorsex

Thumper 76
April 14th, 2018, 04:51 AM
TBH if I can do this and be able to watch FCS playoffs through the title game without having to have ESPN on a TV package I’m all for it. I’ll be able to switch my Sling account to having all the Fox Sports stations instead without having ESPN drivel clogging up my channel guide.

unknown3
April 14th, 2018, 09:46 PM
It’s probably a matter of time before P5 products get pushed onto it too. It’ll start with non-FB/MBB sports.

Unlikely.

katss07
April 15th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Just a question, would someone clear this up for me? I have a program called DirectTV Now, its like Sling but more channels for the exact same price. I also have WatchESPN. Will I still be able to watch a few FCS games per week and the playoffs?

clenz
April 15th, 2018, 10:17 AM
Unknown yet.

From what I gather a - at least from the MvFC perspective - is that espn produced games (which we have) and home market games will be espn3/WatchESPN. Games outside of your home market or school produced (which we have) will be plus.

How that works come playoffs? Not sure.

SU DOG
April 15th, 2018, 01:00 PM
It's happening now, ESPN is starting to switch programming from ESPN3 to ESPN+ effective this weekend.....

copied from the VMI athletic web site......

That answers my question about the SoCon tie-in. I guess the SoCon Digital is practically dead now.(?) It had some flaws, but I wish it was still carrying more games. I will just have to sign up and pay the $5. Already some conference baseball games I want to see have been exported to the + so I guess they can switch the football games there at will. Not happy about this, but....oh well.

Thumper 76
April 15th, 2018, 10:48 PM
Unknown yet.

From what I gather a - at least from the MvFC perspective - is that espn produced games (which we have) and home market games will be espn3/WatchESPN. Games outside of your home market or school produced (which we have) will be plus.

How that works come playoffs? Not sure.

Any ideas on if you’ll be able to watch games shown on ESPN TV channels without the TV subscription on plus?

JayJ79
April 16th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Any ideas on if you’ll be able to watch games shown on ESPN TV channels without the TV subscription on plus?

"It will not include access to the full ESPN linear channels, as they will only be available through "traditional or non-traditional" television providers. ESPN's major professional sports rights, including MLB, National Basketball Association, and National Football League coverage, are not included in the service."

Thumper 76
April 16th, 2018, 10:53 PM
"It will not include access to the full ESPN linear channels, as they will only be available through "traditional or non-traditional" television providers. ESPN's major professional sports rights, including MLB, National Basketball Association, and National Football League coverage, are not included in the service."

Welp looks like I’ll switch my plan for the semi finals and championship game.

BEAR
April 17th, 2018, 10:56 AM
FRISCO, Texas – Three Southland Conference events are scheduled to run on ESPN+ this week, marking the debut of conference programming on the new streaming service. Central Arkansas visits Sam Houston State in baseball Friday night and Saturday afternoon, followed by the Stephen F. Austin spring football game Saturday evening.

Looks like Southland events are part of this new subscription service. xrolleyesx

http://southland.org/news/2018/4/16/general-southland-baseball-football-featured-on-espn-this-week.aspx

Lehigh Football Nation
April 18th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Will the folks of the FCS subcommittee now finally shop around and find a decent broadcast deal?

That's a rhetorical question, incidentally

The FCS lost their opportunity years ago to shop around, had they done so we'll never know if NBC or FOX regional sports stations would be televising the FCS playoffs today, with semi's and finals on NBCSN or FS1

Now the FCS Playoffs are permanently stuck on a paid stream that few households will get

RootinFerDukes
April 18th, 2018, 07:02 PM
I doubt nbcsn is interested in FCS. They had deals with the caa that they walked away from. They have a deal with the ivy which seems to get less coverage over time. Almost all the games are forced into Friday nights. On Saturdays, they air EPL soccer.
They don’t even seem to air any fbs games anymore.

JMUNJ08
April 19th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Given some background on the ad industry, my guess is that advertisers are given FCS and mid/ low major BB game slots at NO cost for doing business on other games/ content. I've seen this on certain TV broadcast/ content companies for their lesser stations (e.g. you buy on FOX and you get FOX Business spots for free). Thus, ESPN is only hemorrhaging money be producing the product. By charging people for content where they make no money, even if they lose lets say 90% of viewers, would still be a net positive for them and they can show advertisers their # of subscribers to squeeze out a few dollars as well. The internet pay walls are getting more frequent so I would start budgeting for them during FB season and beyond...

Lehigh Football Nation
April 19th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Given some background on the ad industry, my guess is that advertisers are given FCS and mid/ low major BB game slots at NO cost for doing business on other games/ content. I've seen this on certain TV broadcast/ content companies for their lesser stations (e.g. you buy on FOX and you get FOX Business spots for free). Thus, ESPN is only hemorrhaging money be producing the product. By charging people for content where they make no money, even if they lose lets say 90% of viewers, would still be a net positive for them and they can show advertisers their # of subscribers to squeeze out a few dollars as well. The internet pay walls are getting more frequent so I would start budgeting for them during FB season and beyond...

If they lose 90% of their viewers, schools will look at their own bottom lines and say, "why am I paying anything to reach like two households on ESPN+" and then probably will revert to broadcasting off of Facebook or their own websites, which is cheaper and they keep any proceeds. And it's the schools that are producing the games in-house anyway -ESPN3's only value add is in distribution, which will (by your own admission) probably crater.

This wouldn't be a problem for schools to switch to in-house distribution, but ESPN carries all the broadcast rights to the playoffs. So it is a problem.

iBOsbu
April 21st, 2018, 07:20 PM

CAA needs to move their content to ESPN3/+

Twentysix
April 21st, 2018, 10:49 PM
If they lose 90% of their viewers, schools will look at their own bottom lines and say, "why am I paying anything to reach like two households on ESPN+" and then probably will revert to broadcasting off of Facebook or their own websites, which is cheaper and they keep any proceeds. And it's the schools that are producing the games in-house anyway -ESPN3's only value add is in distribution, which will (by your own admission) probably crater.

This wouldn't be a problem for schools to switch to in-house distribution, but ESPN carries all the broadcast rights to the playoffs. So it is a problem.

Teams that aren't getting paid for tv broadcast contracts should just stream through youtube and facebook simultaneously.

RootinFerDukes
April 22nd, 2018, 12:17 PM
CAA needs to move their content to ESPN3/+

I agree but our fans will cry so loud about the $5/month that you’d be able to hear it from space.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I'll post this question here....

Did ESPN3 become subscription based in the last few days. For whatever reason I'm unable to watch any of the playoff games. It goes to the default logo screen then nothing happens. I don't get any error or any particular message. If I pay for an ESPN+ subscription will I be able to watch?

Or is this an espn customer service issue?

Neighbor2
November 24th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I’m watching Elon/Wofford on ESPN+. Crystal clear, excellent announcers. All the other playoff games are listed, either now live, or later.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 01:50 PM
I’m watching Elon/Wofford on ESPN+. Crystal clear, excellent announcers. All the other playoff games are listed, either now live, or later.

You don't need ESPN+ - its on ESPN3

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2018, 01:52 PM
You don't need ESPN+ - its on ESPN3

That's what's bugging me out. I'm ready to click to pay for espn+ but I'm not convinced I'll be able to watch the games.

Bisonator
November 24th, 2018, 01:53 PM
I'll post this question here....

Did ESPN3 become subscription based in the last few days. For whatever reason I'm unable to watch any of the playoff games. It goes to the default logo screen then nothing happens. I don't get any error or any particular message. If I pay for an ESPN+ subscription will I be able to watch?

Or is this an espn customer service issue?
Sounds like you are on the ESPN+ site. Need to go to WatchESPN and don't click on the ESPN+ link.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 01:53 PM
That's what's bugging me out. I'm ready to click to pay for espn+ but I'm not convinced I'll be able to watch the games.
I cancelled my ESPN+ when they announced all the games will be on ESPN3 or up.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 01:57 PM
I looked on the appleTV to see what was showing on ESPN+, and there is NO football on ESPN+

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2018, 01:59 PM
https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46800145_2237448769620875_2540343438981726208_n.jp g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=c2b4cf22d30181658fce3805d753210d&oe=5C662D1D

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46517239_2237448829620869_7829824083251429376_n.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=54c1158203b8b3e99b923121e8f0b5a4&oe=5C6B7B7B

FUBeAR
November 24th, 2018, 02:00 PM
ESPN...ALL 3

https://i.postimg.cc/gj4vPsY3/E2-CC6-E02-2522-4078-BC08-244-CE78-F8098.jpg

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 02:01 PM
https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46800145_2237448769620875_2540343438981726208_n.jp g?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=c2b4cf22d30181658fce3805d753210d&oe=5C662D1D

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46517239_2237448829620869_7829824083251429376_n.jp g?_nc_cat=102&_nc_ht=scontent.fagc1-1.fna&oh=54c1158203b8b3e99b923121e8f0b5a4&oe=5C6B7B7B

If you are still having trouble, just go to the schedule on ESPN like you are looking at scores and select the watch button

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2018, 02:06 PM
If you are still having trouble, just go to the schedule on ESPN like you are looking at scores and select the watch button

Nothings working. I guess it's one of those deals where it's not meant to be. I have that helpless lost feeling because I don't understand what the issue is. The games simply won't load. After an hour of trying it is what it is. It will make doing my Colgate playoff preview tough.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Nothings working. I guess it's one of those deals where it's not meant to be. I have that helpless lost feeling because I don't understand what the issue is. The games simply won't load. Is what it is. It will make doing my Colgate playoff preview tough.

Reboot and re-login to ESPN? Is ESPN part of a cable package for you?

Lorne_Malvo
November 24th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Nothings working. I guess it's one of those deals where it's not meant to be. I have that helpless lost feeling because I don't understand what the issue is. The games simply won't load. After an hour of trying it is what it is. It will make doing my Colgate playoff preview tough.

Try from a laptop or desktop.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Reboot and re-login to ESPN? Is ESPN part of a cable package for you?

Yup, I get ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPN NEWS and the SEC Network.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Try from a laptop or desktop.

I'm on my laptop. Same lap top I always use. Just watched Temple's bball game against VCU on ESPN3 Tuesday night.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Yup, I get ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPN NEWS and the SEC Network.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29573&stc=1

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 24th, 2018, 02:23 PM
tried to update chrome but it was up to date. downloaded firefox and it's working. i dunno what the hell happened.

cx500d
November 24th, 2018, 02:27 PM
tried to update chrome but it was up to date. downloaded firefox and it's working. i dunno what the hell happened.

I don't watch it often on my computer, but my recollection ws Chrome didn't work well streaming espn, so I think I used Safari most of the time.

Lorne_Malvo
November 24th, 2018, 02:28 PM

Cookie, vpn or cache problem. Glad you got something going though.