PDA

View Full Version : ETSU Head Coach Randy Sanders put on paid leave

bonarae
April 2nd, 2018, 10:57 AM
Not a good sign heading into spring practices. An NCAA infraction on the way, perhaps? xsmhx

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180402110334148675708

OpTimeGuy
April 2nd, 2018, 11:38 AM
Looks like Coach Sanders "struck" someone in the helmet....nothing more

Milktruck74
April 2nd, 2018, 01:51 PM

There is a long spectrum on "struck".....was it a smack on the back of the helmet? was it a hit that took the kid to the ground? Was this just an "entitled" player? or was it something witnessed by the admins? Too many questions and no real answers....yet.

Milktruck74
April 2nd, 2018, 01:51 PM

There is a long spectrum on "struck".....was it a smack on the back of the helmet? was it a hit that took the kid to the ground? Was this just an "entitled" player? or was it something witnessed by the admins? Too many questions and no real answers....yet.

- - - Updated - - -

IBleedYellow
April 2nd, 2018, 01:59 PM
Didn't he just get hired?

Like...In December?

Mocs123
April 2nd, 2018, 03:42 PM
Yes just hired. Threre is also a report that new OC Marcus Satterfield is leaving to go to Baylor.

OpTimeGuy
April 2nd, 2018, 03:47 PM
Yes just hired. Threre is also a report that new OC Marcus Satterfield is leaving to go to Baylor.

Satterfield has left enroute to Baylor. The former Temple head coach while Satterfield was at Temple is now on staff at Baylor.

clenz
April 2nd, 2018, 03:50 PM
Didn't he just get hired?

Like...In December?
Anyone can be fooled for the length of an interview.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 2nd, 2018, 10:24 PM
Saw this and figured I would share, this is too comical.

https://barstooletsu.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/who-is-to-blame-for-coach-sanders-suspension/

JSUSoutherner
April 2nd, 2018, 11:01 PM
Satterfield has left enroute to Baylor. The former Temple head coach while Satterfield was at Temple is now on staff at Baylor.
Satterfield at 3 dumpster fires in 4 months?

Is that a record?

Saw this and figured I would share, this is too comical.

https://barstooletsu.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/who-is-to-blame-for-coach-sanders-suspension/

Whoever created that page and decided dark font on a dark background was a good idea needs to have their electricity privileges revoked.

clenz
April 2nd, 2018, 11:19 PM
Whoever created that page and decided dark font on a dark background was a good idea needs to have their electricity privileges revoked.
I clicked it and instantly closed it. Didn't even try to read it.

My 5 year old could design a better webpage.

mvemjsunpx
April 2nd, 2018, 11:24 PM
I clicked it and instantly closed it. Didn't even try to read it.

You didn't miss much. xcoffeex

dgtw
April 3rd, 2018, 06:14 AM
I managed to read it. I think I lost 50 IQ points doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 3rd, 2018, 07:40 AM
And now some former UT players and a father of two former UT QBs weigh in:

https://www.seccountry.com/tennessee/tennessee-football-randy-sanders-vols

FUBeAR
April 3rd, 2018, 03:10 PM
So much to ‘chew on’ in this little story. Not just the sensationalize-able headlines...

“ETSU Head Football Coach Suspended Indefinitely for Assaulting Football Student Athlete”

&

“Buccaneers’ Newly Hired Offensive Coordinator Abandons Ship in the Middle of Spring Practice”

...but consider the ironic subtexts...

”African-American Student Athlete assaulted by ETSU’s White Head Football Coach for NOT kneeling”

”Baylor’s Troubled Football Program Reaches down to FCS level to poach ETSU’s Offensive Coordinator, Recently Fired by another FCS School, Under a Cloud of Uncertainty, reported by some to be related to Charges of “Harassment” and other off-the-field” Issues”

Tough day to be a Buccaneer, I guess

Milktruck74
April 3rd, 2018, 08:22 PM
What's the over/under on Sanders coaching getting through this?

Mocs123
April 3rd, 2018, 08:41 PM
It’s awful late in the season to get a new coach. Who is interim; Billy Taylor?

PaladinFan
April 4th, 2018, 05:47 AM
It’s awful late in the season to get a new coach. Who is interim; Billy Taylor?

That and considering it is in the middle of spring practice. ETSU is installing a new coaching staff and I imagine these few weeks are pretty critical.

Milktruck74
April 4th, 2018, 07:27 AM
That and considering it is in the middle of spring practice. ETSU is installing a new coaching staff and I imagine these few weeks are pretty critical.

True, but if the Administration was worried about winning over being PC, they would have just dismissed the entire thing and let coach sanders just keep coaching. I'll be following closely to see what happens. Only two of their coaches have HC experience. I know one pretty well. Nice guy, not sure he is ready to step in as a HC at FCS school (from d3), but hiring from inside may be the best option if this boils out of the pot and sanders is sent packing.

Anthony215
April 4th, 2018, 07:52 AM
For a small smack on the helmet he possibly loses his job. The kid who said this probably was a spoiled brat in high school got babied and when its time to be one of 90 and things weren't going his way he acts out just terrible. Coach Sanders will land back on his feet whether its at ETSU or another school but this kid if he embellished at all will probably cry foul with every college coach he has because unlike high school they're paid to win and if they don't win they're fired so they're playing the best players only and are coaching you as a man not as a child. College football is a business he'll learn that real soon.....

Milktruck74
April 4th, 2018, 09:50 AM
For a small smack on the helmet he possibly loses his job. The kid who said this probably was a spoiled brat in high school got babied and when its time to be one of 90 and things weren't going his way he acts out just terrible. Coach Sanders will land back on his feet whether its at ETSU or another school but this kid if he embellished at all will probably cry foul with every college coach he has because unlike high school they're paid to win and if they don't win they're fired so they're playing the best players only and are coaching you as a man not as a child. College football is a business he'll learn that real soon.....

This assumes that the kid complained....This could be a incident of an administrator seeing something at a practice that they did not like. I have heard it both ways, not sure which is actually true. I think we will find out really soon, depending on the outcome of the investigation. IF it is just an overactive admin and the kid isn't the original complainant, it goes away fast....if the kid is on a power trip, it takes some time to hash out...and Coach Taylor, Coach Daye or Coach Rader are running the ship.

OpTimeGuy
April 4th, 2018, 05:17 PM
I don't know anything about the player and all that. If it is as it appears....there is still a lot of sensitivity regarding the return of football to ETSU. It was by no means a slam dunk and of course those who are opposed always grab on to anything and this is certainly no exception. I hope that Dr. Noland and AD Carter are just crossing all the t's and dotting all the i's to insure the team and/or university don't come out on the wrong end of this deal. There is and has been a lot of faith placed in Dr. Noland. He has built a lot of good will with those around the university, I am sure he will reach the appropriate decision, no matter what the decision is.

PaladinFan
April 5th, 2018, 07:29 AM
This assumes that the kid complained....This could be a incident of an administrator seeing something at a practice that they did not like. I have heard it both ways, not sure which is actually true. I think we will find out really soon, depending on the outcome of the investigation. IF it is just an overactive admin and the kid isn't the original complainant, it goes away fast....if the kid is on a power trip, it takes some time to hash out...and Coach Taylor, Coach Daye or Coach Rader are running the ship.

Certainly seems like something they should clean up. Odds are plenty of folks saw what happened and there will not need to be an "investigation" that goes on for weeks.

Either way, it's a bad look for ETSU. It appears ETSU either has a hyper agressive coach abusing his players or an overly sensitive administration who is undermining him.

OpTimeGuy
April 6th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Reinstated....

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/Football/2018/04/06/ETSU-concludes-Sanders-investigation.html?ci=breaking&lp=1

PAllen
April 6th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Can you imagine Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes self reporting a helmet slap to the AD?

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 6th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Saw that he got reinstated earlier this evening. My educated guess was that he "Gibbs-slapped" the player, which turned out to be the case. He struck me as someone who was honest about everything, which is something that I admire greatly. #ThankYouForYourCandor Coach Sanders.

FUBeAR
April 6th, 2018, 11:42 PM
https://media.wjhl.com/nxs-wjhltv-media-us-east-1/document_dev/2018/04/06/ETSU%20FB%20INCIDENT%20REPORT_1523056658002_392683 26_ver1.0.pdf

Wow, I hope that the victim’s team of attorneys will accept that this has been a thorough, fair, and impartial investigation. And, I hope that his counsel will advise their client that such a light punishment is, nevertheless, acceptable in light of his deep aggrievement. Given the gravity of the social power dynamics in play upon the commission of this, now admitted, egregious injustice, I could imagine they might consider filing civil action to include up to a 7 figure sum in damages for mental anguish, pain, and suffering, as well as to provide a basis for a Federal prosecution for violation of the injured party’s Civil Rights.

Selah...

ElCid
April 7th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Saw that he got reinstated earlier this evening. My educated guess was that he "Gibbs-slapped" the player, which turned out to be the case. He struck me as someone who was honest about everything, which is something that I admire greatly. #ThankYouForYourCandor Coach Sanders.

What a bunch of pussies. This is such a non-event and the whole issue borders on lunacy. Who hasn't been smacked or grabbed in any number if endeavors...let alone a sports one. I weep for our youth.

Mocs123
April 7th, 2018, 07:37 AM
I know.....My son plays middle school football and basketball, and AAU basketball and when I watch practices I am always shocked at how “nice” and “soft” the coaches are compared to the ones when I played.

Of course last year a kid in my sons class called a teacher stupid to his face and when the school tried to discipline him, his mother got very upset at the school. If I ever did that growing up, I would have gotten whatever the school did, but that would have been nothing to what would have happened when I got home.

walliver
April 8th, 2018, 10:10 PM
Can you imagine Bear Bryant or Woody Hayes self reporting a helmet slap to the AD?

At least Randy Sanders restricted his punches to his own players.

ElCid
April 9th, 2018, 07:52 AM
At least Randy Sanders restricted his punches to his own players.

xlolx