March 27th, 2018, 02:38 PM
UNI 2007

Lorne_Malvo
March 27th, 2018, 02:41 PM
UNI 2007

Come on man.......

WeAreThePride
March 27th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Maybe ISUr ‘14? If not for a future NFL 2nd pick and MVP candidate, I doubt NDSU wins its 4th Natty.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 27th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Montana won it in 1995, lost it after 15-0 start in 1996.

clenz
March 27th, 2018, 02:56 PM
UNI 2007yup.

UNI 07 and 08 are the epitome of UNI football failures. Holy **** were those teams good.

FCS_pwns_FBS
March 27th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Griz 1996 (I explained this in the other thread)
Georgia Southern 1998 (our linebacker unit was destroyed by injuries for that game, and 7 largely unforced turnovers doomed us, or else that team is 15-0)

PaladinFan
March 27th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Furman 2005.

34.9 ppg
246.9 rushing ypg
223.1 passing ypg
470 ypg

Ingle Martin had 3,193 yards of total offense that season. Jerome Felton had 20 total TDs, averaged 5.2 ypc, for 951 yards. Felton had 11 negative yards total on 182 carries.

Furman was ousted in the semifinals by #2 App State in Boone (arguably the toughest venue in the country) - a team they had already beaten that year. That App team went on to win the national title a week later against UNI. Furman lost that game after Ingle Martin famously slipped on a ice patch right outside the endzone as he was walking in to put Furman up two scores late. A touchdown there probably would have sealed it. Instead, App took the momentum and won the game.

If you didn't ever watch Jerome Felton play football, this is a taste. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs

The safety Felton just runs over at the end of that play is Corey Lynch, an all american who played in the NFL. There have been good running backs in the FCS since Felton, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone who ran the ball like he did. The guy was a horse.

PAllen
March 27th, 2018, 03:26 PM
HC '87 hands down.

RootinFerDukes
March 27th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Screw this thread. You're just trolling us now.

Bisonator
March 27th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Gotta be the 2015 UND Fawkers.

They got robbed by the committee but it made them even better and more determined then ever to lift weights all off season and came back to dominate the Big Sky in 2016! They left no doubt! Day by day! Bubbles ball!

F'N Hawks
March 27th, 2018, 07:23 PM

They got robbed by the committee but it made them even better and more determined then ever to lift weights all off season and came back to dominate the Big Sky in 2016! They left no doubt! Day by day! Bubbles ball!

Now we just feel bad for you, ish. Go sit in the corner.

cx500d
March 27th, 2018, 08:01 PM

But the 2016 team was seeded. GOAT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
March 27th, 2018, 08:06 PM

Oh...good...we don't get enough of this bull**** already.

EKUSteve
March 27th, 2018, 08:14 PM
1990 EKU team was undefeated and rolling until OB Lorenzo Fields got his leg broken against Tennessee State. Team wasn't the same after that and lost to Furman in the first round.

grayghost06
March 27th, 2018, 09:17 PM
2008 JMU. Obviously a homer pick but still with merit. Offense was awesome, defense was not as strong (23pts a game/ 307 yds per game) bend but don't break type.

Held the #1 ranking for 9 weeks. Beat the #1,3,5,6,7 and 12th ranked teams during the season. Lost our Superman QB in semifinal loss to Montana (27-35). Also lost 4 fumbles in that game after only losing 11 in the previous 13 games. Had a regular season victory on the road to eventual National Champ Richmond. Also defeated 3 time defending champ and #1 ranked App St. Only other loss was to I-A Duke. Really the only thing that ever stopped our offense that year was our Coach.

cx500d
March 27th, 2018, 10:37 PM
2008 JMU. ... Also lost 4 fumbles in that game after only losing 11 in the previous 13 games...

Sounds better than 10 turnovers...

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 28th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Griz 1996 (I explained this in the other thread)
Georgia Southern 1998 (our linebacker unit was destroyed by injuries for that game, and 7 largely unforced turnovers doomed us, or else that team is 15-0)

GSU was easily the best team in 1998.

Lehigh had Umass dead to rights in the quarterfinals and let them off the hook with panicked play calling. Lehigh had 1st and goal from the UMass 8 yard line with a minute left down 27-21 and completely forgot about their stub RB on all 4 plays. I will say, Marcel Shipp was a beast for UMass.

That was Lehigh's best chance to make it to the title game. The 2011 team could have if they avoided a trip Fargo but the '98 team was just nasty. They would have beaten Northwestern State in the semi's and faced GSU for the title.

UNHWildcat18
March 28th, 2018, 06:10 AM
UNH 2005

- - - Updated - - -

2008 JMU. Obviously a homer pick but still with merit. Offense was awesome, defense was not as strong (23pts a game/ 307 yds per game) bend but don't break type.

Held the #1 ranking for 9 weeks. Beat the #1,3,5,6,7 and 12th ranked teams during the season. Lost our Superman QB in semifinal loss to Montana (27-35). Also lost 4 fumbles in that game after only losing 11 in the previous 13 games. Had a regular season victory on the road to eventual National Champ Richmond. Also defeated 3 time defending champ and #1 ranked App St. Only other loss was to I-A Duke. Really the only thing that ever stopped our offense that year was our Coach.

I agree with this pick, JMU was scary good that year.

Mattymc727
March 28th, 2018, 06:44 AM
UNH 2005

Definitely on the list. That offense was the epitome of Chip Kelly prime. Choked it that day against UNI

POD Knows
March 28th, 2018, 07:05 AM
2016 Bison

dewey
March 28th, 2018, 07:24 AM
I have only been following FCS for about 8-10 years now but I would say the following.

Montana 1996 (defending national champs and were undefeated until Marshall)
2011 Sam Houston State (undefeated until 17-6 loss to NDSU in title game).
2014 Illinois State (Tre Roberson and Marshawn Coprich were amazing).
2016 NDSU (Numerous wins over top 25 FCS teams and win over #11 Iowa).
2017 James Madison (DESTROYED FBS Eastern Carolina and SDSU and was undefeated headed into national title game. Was also the defending national champs).

Dewey

IBleedYellow
March 28th, 2018, 10:12 AM
I have only been following FCS for about 8-10 years now but I would say the following.

Montana 1996 (defending national champs and were undefeated until Marshall)
2011 Sam Houston State (undefeated until 17-6 loss to NDSU in title game).
2014 Illinois State (Tre Roberson and Marshawn Coprich were amazing).
2016 NDSU (Numerous wins over top 25 FCS teams and win over #11 Iowa).
2017 James Madison (DESTROYED FBS Eastern Carolina and SDSU and was undefeated headed into national title game. Was also the defending national champs).

Dewey

14-1 couldn't be sweeter for NDSU last year and 14-1 couldn't be more sour if you're a JMU fan last year...the exact same thing happened for SHSU in '11 also.

NDSU has a habit of giving teams that are 14-0 a really ****ty 14-1 when it comes to title games. If you're 14-0 going into the Title game...you should start worrying a lot, considering it's only happened twice in my lifetime with Marshall and NDSU.

Lion1983
March 28th, 2018, 11:36 AM
1990 EKU team was undefeated and rolling until OB Lorenzo Fields got his leg broken against Tennessee State. Team wasn't the same after that and lost to Furman in the first round.

Your Obstitrition broke his leg? Must have been a heck of a check up....

Matt
March 28th, 2018, 12:17 PM

this is the answer. man i wanted a rematch for the title.

also, ill throw out UR in 09. even better than the team that won in 08. We even got votes in the FBS poll a few weeks that year. our playoff game against App State is the best football game ive ever seen in person.

Professor Chaos
March 28th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Is NDSU in 2006 or 2007 eligible??? xlolx

RootinFerDukes
March 28th, 2018, 01:11 PM
IMO the 2017 JMU team was better than the 2008 JMU team. Significantly better defense and I just think Schor was a better QB than Landers. Landers was a RB who happened to play QB.

I'll say that this 2017 JMU team was more injury riddled than some of the better JMU teams of the last 15 years. 2004, 2008, 2016, 2017 years were high end seasons. In 2017, the vast majority of the injuries were on the offensive side of the ball too.

Lehigh'98
March 28th, 2018, 01:38 PM
GSU was easily the best team in 1998.

Lehigh had Umass dead to rights in the quarterfinals and let them off the hook with panicked play calling. Lehigh had 1st and goal from the UMass 8 yard line with a minute left down 27-21 and completely forgot about their stub RB on all 4 plays. I will say, Marcel Shipp was a beast for UMass.

That was Lehigh's best chance to make it to the title game. The 2011 team could have if they avoided a trip Fargo but the '98 team was just nasty. They would have beaten Northwestern State in the semi's and faced GSU for the title.

Just for historical accuracy, we did run the ball twice on that 1st and goal series. Had a missed cutback opportunity that would of walked into endzone. Credit to UMass though.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 28th, 2018, 01:44 PM
IMO the 2017 JMU team was better than the 2008 JMU team. Significantly better defense and I just think Schor was a better QB than Landers. Landers was a RB who happened to play QB.

I'll say that this 2017 JMU team was more injury riddled than some of the better JMU teams of the last 15 years. 2004, 2008, 2016, 2017 years were high end seasons. In 2017, the vast majority of the injuries were on the offensive side of the ball too.

Agree with you on that one. The 2008 team was good, they weren't nearly as physical as they should have been for being a great team and they got their ass pounded into the ground that night and using Landers going out as any sort of excuse doesn't work as the Griz were up like 21-10 or better when he exited the game with his injury. JMU was not able to do much with him in there at all and looked better after Dudzik came in.

JMU taught Montana a lesson about the big physical front(s) in 2004 and Montana paid that lesson back in 2008. There was just no stopping Chase Reynolds in that game either as he was just looking for collisions it seemed like.

RootinFerDukes
March 28th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Agree with you on that one. The 2008 team was good, they weren't nearly as physical as they should have been for being a great team and they got their ass pounded into the ground that night and using Landers going out as any sort of excuse doesn't work as the Griz were up like 21-10 or better when he exited the game with his injury. JMU was not able to do much with him in there at all and looked better after Dudzik came in.

JMU taught Montana a lesson about the big physical front(s) in 2004 and Montana paid that lesson back in 2008. There was just no stopping Chase Reynolds in that game either as he was just looking for collisions it seemed like.

It was 14-10 UM leading when Landers left the game and it was only 2:20 remaining in the 2nd quarter. The dynamic of the game was very much changed by you having to play against a back up QB with no prior meaningful experience. Hell, it's a miracle we came back to within 8 considering the circumstances.

Dudzik did go on to beat Tech in 2010 though and he's now on our current staff as the Outside Receivers coach.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=283470256

ursus arctos horribilis
March 28th, 2018, 02:17 PM
It was 14-10 UM leading when Landers left the game and it was only 2:20 remaining in the 2nd quarter. The dynamic of the game was very much changed by you having to play against a back up QB with no prior meaningful experience. Hell, it's a miracle we came back to within 8 considering the circumstances.

Dudzik did go on to beat Tech in 2010 though and he's now on our current staff as the Outside Receivers coach.

Yeah, got ya on the point that he left but the overall point I am making is that Landers don't play Defense and Dudzik looked better that Landers in the time he was on the field (to me) and that 08 team was not as good the 2017 Dukes.

Matt
March 28th, 2018, 02:46 PM

you guys beat tech?

MR. CHICKEN
March 28th, 2018, 03:50 PM
.....2010......BLUEHENS.........RANKED # UNO...GOIN' INTA LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME.....HENS DROPPED BAH 'NOVA 28-21 IN OT.......HENS PLUMMETED TA #5 IN POLLS.......DREW LEHIGH FIRST ROUND....THUMPED DUH HAWKS 42-20...@ HOME....NEW HAMPSHIRE WAS NEXT.....AN' KC'S KILLERS CRUNCHED DUH WILDCATS 16-3...AGIN' @ HOME....GEORGIA SOUTHERN MADE DU TRIP TA NEWARK...FO' SEMI-FINAL..DELAWARE DISPOSED UH DUH IGGLES 27-10.......NOW IT'S ON TA FRISCO....FO' FIRST EVERAH FCS CHAMPIONSHOP GAME IN TEJAS......YOU-DEE....WAS SPORTIN' NATION'S BEST DEFENSE.....ALLOWIN' PALTRY 11 DIGITS PER GAME.......MEANWHILST.......EASTERN WASHINGTON.....FROM DUH LEFT COAST......MET US ....FO' ALL DUH MARBLES..........DELAWARE LED 19-0.....LATE INTA 3rd Q....WHIFF OWN-LAH......ONE MISTAKE....BLOCKED EXTRA POINT.....ON FIRST TD........RED-BIRDS.....DUG IN.....UP-TEMPO........OFFENSE.....PUT DUH HENS IN REAR VIEW MIRROR.....SCORED DUH NEXT 20 POINTS.....FO' 20-19.....WIN.........DELAWARE ENDED UP 12-3.....WHIFF THREE LOSSES BAH TOTAL UH 9 POINTS......LOST TA WM & MARY 17-16 & 'NOVA'S OT BAH 7........HOWEVERAH.....CHAMPIONSHIP GAME....WAS NOT WHIFF-OUT CONTROVERSY......AS CHAIN-GANG ERRED DURIN' UH 4TH AN' ONE....DAT GAVE E.WASH.......IMPORTANT FIRST DOWN LATE 4TH Q.......ALLOWIN' WINNIN' SCORE....(SEEMS PIN IN CHAIN FELL OUT AND WHEN REPLACED......WAS INSERTED 3-4 LINKS SHORTER.....THAN......REQUIRED 10 YARD....LENGTH)......HENS ACTULLAH HELD ON DAT...FOURTH AN' ONE......AN' WOODAH SENT IGGLES...TA DUH BUS..xmadxxbangxxpissedxxsplatx..BRAWK!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/2011-01-07/ewu-edges-delaware-fcs-title (https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/2011-01-07/ewu-edges-delaware-fcs-title)

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 28th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Just for historical accuracy, we did run the ball twice on that 1st and goal series. Had a missed cutback opportunity that would of walked into endzone. Credit to UMass though.

Did Jean get the ball or was it Snyder? I don't remember Jean touching the ball. I remember one or two wheel routes. You were on that team though so I trust you...lol

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 28th, 2018, 04:39 PM
.....2011......BLUEHENS.........RANKED # UNO...GOIN' INTA LAST REGULAR SEASON GAME.....HENS DROPPED BAH 'NOVA 28-21 IN OT.......HENS PLUMMETED TA #5 IN POLLS.......DREW LEHIGH FIRST ROUND....THUMPED DUH HAWKS 42-20...@ HOME....NEW HAMPSHIRE WAS NEXT.....AN' KC'S KILLERS CRUNCHED DUH WILDCATS 16-3...AGIN' @ HOME....GEORGIA SOUTHERN MADE DU TRIP TA NEWARK...FO' SEMI-FINAL..DELAWARE DISPOSED UH DUH IGGLES 27-10.......NOW IT'S ON TA FRISCO....FO' FIRST EVERAH FCS CHAMPIONSHOP GAME IN TEJAS......YOU-DEE....WAS SPORTIN' NATION'S BEST DEFENSE.....ALLOWIN' PALTRY 11 DIGITS PER GAME.......MEANWHILST.......EASTERN WASHINGTON.....FROM DUH LEFT COAST......MET US ....FO' ALL DUH MARBLES..........DELAWARE LED 19-0.....LATE INTA 3rd Q....WHIFF OWN-LAH......ONE MISTAKE....BLOCKED EXTRA POINT.....ON FIRST TD........RED-BIRDS.....DUG IN.....UP-TEMPO........OFFENSE.....PUT DUH HENS IN REAR VIEW MIRROR.....SCORED DUH NEXT 20 POINTS.....FO' 20-19.....WIN.........DELAWARE ENDED UP 12-3.....WHIFF THREE LOSSES BAH TOTAL UH 9 POINTS......LOST TA WM & MARY 17-16 & 'NOVA'S OT BAH 7........HOWEVERAH.....CHAMPIONSHIP GAME....WAS NOT WHIFF-OUT CONTROVERSY......AS CHAIN-GANG ERRED DURIN' UH 4TH AN' ONE....DAT GAVE E.WASH.......IMPORTANT FIRST DOWN LATE 4TH Q.......ALLOWIN' WINNIN' SCORE....(SEEMS PIN IN CHAIN FELL OUT AND WHEN REPLACED......WAS INSERTED 3-4 LINKS SHORTER.....THAN......REQUIRED 10 YARD....LENGTH)......HENS ACTULLAH HELD ON DAT...FOURTH AN' ONE......AN' WOODAH SENT IGGLES...TA DUH BUS..xmadxxbangxxpissedxxsplatx..BRAWK!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/2011-01-07/ewu-edges-delaware-fcs-title (https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/2011-01-07/ewu-edges-delaware-fcs-title)

I thought 2000 was the best team I saw that didn't win the title. The semifinal against GSU was for the title imo.

MR. CHICKEN
March 28th, 2018, 04:59 PM
I thought 2000 was the best team I saw that didn't win the title. The semifinal against GSU was for the title imo.

......'NOTHERAH TOUGH END O' SEASON......AS GEORGIA SOUTHERN WENT ON TA BEAT MONTANA 27-25.....IN 2000...BLING....BRAWK!

......".................................................".....IN 1997.......DELAWARE LOST @ HOME TA MCNESSE STATE 23-21....ON LAST MINUTE FG........COWBOYS LOST TA YOUNGSTOWN STATE 10-9....NEXT WEEK IN CHAMPIONSHIP..........PICK YER POISON.........DELAWARE HAD...PLENTY UH HEARTBREAKERS......TA GO WHIFF DUH SUCCESS...........AWK!

Silenoz
March 28th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Considering they needed one of the greatest plays in FCS history to eek out that win against us?

grayghost06
March 28th, 2018, 06:46 PM

Correct- it was 14-10 Montana and Landers had gotten JMU to the Griz 44 w/ about 2:00 left. Dudzik came in, drove them to the 28 and then threw a pick near the goal-line.

* JMU also turned it over via fumble (that was on Landers) on the Montana 8 yd line in the 2nd quarter.
* JMU also turned it over on downs in the 4th quarter after having three tries from the Montana 3 yd line. Landers would have made a difference there.
*The other two JMU turnovers resulted in Griz TDs on drives of 34 yds and 15 yds. That really hurt a defense that wasn't built for 3 & out stops against good offenses. All that said, that QB you had was on the money that day. Out played, yup. But got their ass pounded into the ground that night....I don't think so. Heck, JMU never even punted in that game. But when the stat sheet reads 4 to 0 in turnovers, you're going to lose almost every time.

Da Bison
March 28th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Correct- it was 14-10 Montana and Landers had gotten JMU to the Griz 44 w/ about 2:00 left. Dudzik came in, drove them to the 28 and then threw a pick near the goal-line.

* JMU also turned it over via fumble (that was on Landers) on the Montana 8 yd line in the 2nd quarter.
* JMU also turned it over on downs in the 4th quarter after having three tries from the Montana 3 yd line. Landers would have made a difference there.
*The other two JMU turnovers resulted in Griz TDs on drives of 34 yds and 15 yds. That really hurt a defense that wasn't built for 3 & out stops against good offenses. All that said, that QB you had was on the money that day. Out played, yup. But got their ass pounded into the ground that night....I don't think so. Heck, JMU never even punted in that game. But when the stat sheet reads 4 to 0 in turnovers, you're going to lose almost every time.I'd like to nominate GSU 2012. They were loaded with talent.
The NC game was played in the semi-finals!

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 28th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Considering they needed one of the greatest plays in FCS history to eek out that win against us?

Delaware was a dominant team in 2000. UD, Montana and GSU were all nasty. '98, '99, '00, '01 was a great stretch for 1-AA. GSU was awesome but they had legit challengers. AP was incredible....

Delaware's 2000 schedule
9/2 @ URI 29-7 W
9/9 The Citadel 38-0 W
9/16 @ Hofstra 44-14 W
9/23 West Chester 84-0 W
9/30 Northeastern 42-0 W
10/7 @ Richmond 24-17 W
10/14 @ W&M 28-17 W
10/28 JMU 33-14 W
11/4 UNH 45-44 OT/L
11/11 @ Umass 31-19 W
11/18 Villanova 59-42 W
1st Round Playoffs vs Portland State 49-14
Quaterfinals Playoffs vs Lehigh 47-22
Seminfals Playoffs GSU wins 27-18

RootinFerDukes
March 28th, 2018, 07:09 PM
That 2012 GSU team also managed to squeak by the annoyingly unstoppable Taylor Heineke and the ole dirty CC.

Mocs123
March 28th, 2018, 07:28 PM
Delaware was a dominant team in 2000. UD, Montana and GSU were all nasty. '98, '99, '00, '01 was a great stretch for 1-AA. GSU was awesome but they had legit challengers. AP was incredible....

Delaware's 2000 schedule
9/2 @ URI 29-7 W
9/9 The Citadel 38-0 W
9/16 @ Hofstra 44-14 W
9/23 West Chester 84-0 W
9/30 Northeastern 42-0 W
10/7 @ Richmond 24-17 W
10/14 @ W&M 28-17 W
10/28 JMU 33-14 W
11/4 UNH 45-44 OT/L
11/11 @ Umass 31-19 W
11/18 Villanova 59-42 W
1st Round Playoffs vs Portland State 49-14
Quaterfinals Playoffs vs Lehigh 47-22
Seminfals Playoffs GSU wins 27-18

AP was the best FCS player I have ever seen. Armanti Edwards’s is a close second.

Lehigh'98
March 29th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Did Jean get the ball or was it Snyder? I don't remember Jean touching the ball. I remember one or two wheel routes. You were on that team though so I trust you...lol

Jean got 2 carries, the last two plays were max protection passes that never really had a chance.

PAllen
March 29th, 2018, 06:24 AM
Jean got 2 carries, the last two plays were max protection passes that never really had a chance.

Either one of those last 2 plays would have drawn a pass interference call if Stambaugh hadn't thrown either of those passes 20 ft over the receiver's head.

Lehigh'98
March 29th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Either one of those last 2 plays would have drawn a pass interference call if Stambaugh hadn't thrown either of those passes 20 ft over the receiver's head.

Maybe, but a lot of times refs won't throw flags at all in those situations. Best chance was the first two runs, we could have walked in with a cutback. The turning point in that game was a tacky offensive PI call on a 50 yd bomb we completed with the lead. Would have loved to play Georgia Southern that year. Would have been quite an experience.

McNeese72
March 29th, 2018, 09:33 AM
Not saying they are the best team that didn't win, but probably the best team McNeese had during their 1-AA/FCS era days was the 1995 team that lost to Marshall in the semi-finals.

Doc

GreenGlasses
March 29th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Not even close, it has to be the 1996 Montana Griz. They came into the 1996 title game 27-2 the previous 2 seasons with losses only to Washington State and Idaho (1995 13-2, 1996 14-0 before the title game). They just wasn't ready for Randy Moss as no one was. If not for that they may have been back to back champs. I consider that Montana team the 2nd best team in IAA history. Marshall and Montana started the season off ranked #1 and #2 in the nation and held those 2 spots all year.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Not even close, it has to be the 1996 Montana Griz. They came into the 1996 title game 27-2 the previous 2 seasons with losses only to Washington State and Idaho (1995 13-2, 1996 14-0 before the title game). They just wasn't ready for Randy Moss as no one was. If not for that they may have been back to back champs. I consider that Montana team the 2nd best team in IAA history. Marshall and Montana started the season off ranked #1 and #2 in the nation and held those 2 spots all year.

Anybody trying to pretend their D would have slowed Moss down even a little bit is f'n fooling themselves. NFL defenses couldn't stop him, neither would any of the FCS D's we've seen no matter how good we think they are. He did not have to try and he was superhuman at the D1 level, either subdivision. I think that dude might have had more TD's than catches. xlolx

Lehigh'98
March 29th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Anybody trying to pretend their D would have slowed Moss down even a little bit is f'n fooling themselves. NFL defenses couldn't stop him, neither would any of the FCS D's we've seen no matter how good we think they are. He did not have to try and he was superhuman at the D1 level, either subdivision. I think that dude might have had more TD's than catches. xlolx

This. we are talking about perhaps the greatest receiver in the history of sport. I know it's a team game, but sometimes talent alone is too much.

AmsterBison
March 29th, 2018, 01:21 PM
The 2017 JMU team looked pretty dang good to me.

RootinFerDukes
March 29th, 2018, 01:26 PM

It's funny how this storyline mimics the NDSU/JMU dynamic of the last two seasons in many ways. Yeah NDSU fell below #2... but we all knew they were still at least #2 despite the one loss and subsequent slot voting that dropped them.

RootinFerDukes
March 29th, 2018, 01:28 PM
This. we are talking about perhaps the greatest receiver in the history of sport. I know it's a team game, but sometimes talent alone is too much.

He was also a player who had the talent to play among the P5 but due to conduct issues at his first P5 school (I forget which off the top of my head), he had to return home to WV and then Marshall gave him a shot.

Silenoz
March 29th, 2018, 01:36 PM

*The other two JMU turnovers resulted in Griz TDs on drives of 34 yds and 15 yds. That really hurt a defense that wasn't built for 3 & out stops against good offenses. All that said, that QB you had was on the money that day. Out played, yup. But got their ass pounded into the ground that night....I don't think so. Heck, JMU never even punted in that game. But when the stat sheet reads 4 to 0 in turnovers, you're going to lose almost every time.

Oh jesus. Dudzik was better than Landers that game, or at least the scheme worked better for us. If anything his departure made the game closer

Whatever, it doesn't matter to me. We didn't win the championship so it was all a wash anyways

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2018, 02:52 PM
It's funny how this storyline mimics the NDSU/JMU dynamic of the last two seasons in many ways. Yeah NDSU fell below #2... but we all knew they were still at least #2 despite the one loss and subsequent slot voting that dropped them.

There was no chance for that in 96 though as both teams went in undefeated.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 29th, 2018, 02:53 PM
He was also a player who had the talent to play among the P5 but due to conduct issues at his first P5 school (I forget which off the top of my head), he had to return home to WV and then Marshall gave him a shot.

Notre Dame & Florida State then off to Marshall.

KPSUL
March 29th, 2018, 09:08 PM
UNI 2007

UNI barely beat UNH(6th best CAA conference record) in the 1st Round. Had the game been @ New Hampshire, UNI would have lost.

clenz
March 30th, 2018, 07:01 AM
UNI barely beat UNH(6th best CAA conference record) in the 1st Round. Had the game been @ New Hampshire, UNI would have lost.

A much worse UNI team beat a much better UNH in New Hampshire with 3 feet a snow in the ground with 90% of the same rosters just 3 years prior.

Redbird 4th & short
March 30th, 2018, 07:30 AM
This !

More I read here and look up myself the 1996 Marshall team certainly up there with 2013 NDSU, though I would still take 2013 NDSU .. they did every phase of game very well, like no other NDSU team of current era.

That said, 1996 Montana may have lost by 20 points to that Marshall team, but 1996 Montana was undefeated at 14-0, won 3 playoff games by scores of 48-3, 44-14, and an astounding 70-7 in semi's before losing by 20 to a Marshall team that relied heavily on FBS transfers at QB and WR.

So I'm thinking 1996 Montana has to be way up there as best team to lose a Natty.

I'll also be a homer and put my 2014 ISUr up there in discussion .. took the lead with 1:38 in game against NDSU.. only to fall in closing seconds. In playoffs, we destroyed a very good UNI at home, steamrolled a very good EWU for 3 quarters in Cheney, beat a very tough and well prepared UNH on road in semi's, but fell a minute or two short against NDSU at their home away from home Frisco.

Everyone knows and talks about QB Roberson and RB Coprich. But that team has 3 guys in NFL today (WR Meredith, TE Oshaughnessy, OL Liedtke) .... none named Roberson or Coprich. We had a very uneven start that season getting everyone acclimated with new OC Beathard and summer transfer Roberson .. delayed further by Roberson breaking his hand during summer OTAs. Roberson technically didn't win the QB job over incumbent QB Winkler until the last week of August camp - Winkler was play very well. Not ironically, we had started working more on our deep passing game the last week .. Roberson struggled to throw the short ball, but was uncanny with deep ball. But even with his read option threat and Coprich, Roberson didn't find his passing game until after week 8 implosion loss at UNI. In week 4, we crushed a very good SDSU 45-10 .. but Roberson was 7-19 for 168 yards. But from week 9 on, no QB ran or threw better .. his QBR was off the charts the last 7 games, plus he could run a bit. But that team was stacked on both sides of ball.

MR. CHICKEN
March 30th, 2018, 07:40 AM
A worse UNI team beat a much better UNH in New Hampshire with 3 feet a snow in the ground with 90% of the same rosters just 3 years prior.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27348&stc=1......YA'S DID DAT....WHIFF.......FRESHMAN AN' RED SHIRT FRESHMAN......AN' MAYBEAH COUPLE UH SOPHS...xconfusedxxeekxxconfusedx..........AWK!

KPSUL
March 30th, 2018, 05:21 PM
A much worse UNI team beat a much better UNH in New Hampshire with 3 feet a snow in the ground with 90% of the same rosters just 3 years prior.

Somewhat true (minus the "much"), but I wasn't claiming 2005 UNH was the best team not to win a championship, one of your fellow Panther fans was claiming the 2008 UNI squad was.

KPSUL
March 30th, 2018, 05:25 PM
This !

I'll also be a homer and put my 2014 ISUr up there in discussion .. took the lead with 1:38 in game against NDSU.. only to fall in closing seconds. In playoffs, we destroyed a very good UNI at home, steamrolled a very good EWU for 3 quarters in Cheney, beat a very tough and well prepared UNH on road in semi's, but fell a minute or two short against NDSU at their home away from home Frisco.

Everyone knows and talks about QB Roberson and RB Coprich. But that team has 3 guys in NFL today (WR Meredith, TE Oshaughnessy, OL Liedtke) .... none named Roberson or Coprich. We had a very uneven start that season getting everyone acclimated with new OC Beathard and summer transfer Roberson .. delayed further by Roberson breaking his hand during summer OTAs. Roberson technically didn't win the QB job over incumbent QB Winkler until the last week of August camp - Winkler was play very well. Not ironically, we had started working more on our deep passing game the last week .. Roberson struggled to throw the short ball, but was uncanny with deep ball. But even with his read option threat and Coprich, Roberson didn't find his passing game until after week 8 implosion loss at UNI. In week 4, we crushed a very good SDSU 45-10 .. but Roberson was 7-19 for 168 yards. But from week 9 on, no QB ran or threw better .. his QBR was off the charts the last 7 games, plus he could run a bit. But that team was stacked on both sides of ball.

I wouldn't argue against the 2014 Red Birds.

NY Crusader 2010
April 1st, 2018, 11:05 PM
2014 Illinois State definitely a beast of a squad...a team we forget about a little bit because they haven't been able to consistently stay in the Top 5-10.

thebootfitter
April 2nd, 2018, 06:40 PM
I think NDSU of 2007 has to at least be in the conversation. Probably not the best team ever not to win, but they very likely would have made some noise in the playoffs that year.

I think even NDSU in 2010 when they lost to EWU deserves consideration for being the best team not to win that year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

clenz
April 2nd, 2018, 07:00 PM
I think even NDSU in 2010 when they lost to EWU deserves consideration for being the best team not to win that year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalknot even close.

Went 4-4 in a dog **** conference

That NDSU team had -42 yards rushing against UNI.

They NDSU team was shut out in the final week of the regular season by ****ing Missouri State.

Somehow got a bid

Played a NEC and a piss poor Montana State.

I can’t remember what happened that NDSU still found a way in in 2010 but it wasn’t really deserved.

thebootfitter
April 2nd, 2018, 07:14 PM
not even close.

They NDSU team was shut out in the final week of the regular season by ****ing Missouri State.

Somehow got a bid

I can’t remember what happened that NDSU still found a way in in 2010 but it wasn’t really deserved.Yet many EWU fans still say that NDSU was the toughest team they played that year.

They may not have had a great season, but by the end, they were good enough to win the championship.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ngineer
April 2nd, 2018, 07:45 PM
"Thanks" for the memories. That was a great team, and 2004 not far behind. 1 pt. loss to JMU in the quarters on one of the biggest bs calls of all-time.

Daytripper
April 3rd, 2018, 06:18 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but that 2011 Sam Houston State team that lost a slugfest to NDSU in Fargo was damn good.

WestCoastAggie
April 3rd, 2018, 07:15 AM
Southern from the late 90’s should be on this list. Specifically, the ‘99 team, who was top 3 I believe and stumped out a top-5 team by 28 points.

POD Knows
April 3rd, 2018, 09:22 AM
not even close.

Somehow got a bid

I can’t remember what happened that NDSU still found a way in in 2010 but it wasn’t really deserved.Wasn't Montana State ranked in the top 10 or something because I remember thinking they sucked bad for being ranked as high as they were. NDSU was playing pretty good football in back half of the conference schedule but that Misery State game was atrocious.

dewey
April 4th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but that 2011 Sam Houston State team that lost a slugfest to NDSU in Fargo was damn good.

I believe I mentioned SHSU in 2011 in a previous post but that was a very good team. Like you said that was a slugfest. SHSU had a very good defense that year and Flanders was really good.

Dewey

bobcathpdevil56
April 4th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Wasn't Montana State ranked in the top 10 or something because I remember thinking they sucked bad for being ranked as high as they were. NDSU was playing pretty good football in back half of the conference schedule but that Misery State game was atrocious.

We were the #1 team in the country until we lost to the Griz. We weren't "piss poor" just got bull dozed by a much more physical NDSU team. We beat Eastern that year in like week 3 or 4, I believe the score was 30-7?

bobcathpdevil56
April 4th, 2018, 02:27 PM
We were the #1 team in the country until we lost to the Griz. We weren't "piss poor" just got bull dozed by a much more physical NDSU team. We beat Eastern that year in like week 3 or 4, I believe the score was 30-7?

Sorry that was wrong. The team that was #1 and got beat by the Griz was the next season, 2011. 2010 was the year they beat EWU.

ASU33
April 4th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Southern from the late 90’s should be on this list. Specifically, the ‘99 team, who was top 3 I believe and stumped out a top-5 team by 28 points.

That team was LOADED!

uofmman1122
April 7th, 2018, 02:59 AM
It’s easily the 1996 Montana team (likely would have won a championship against any other championship team from any other year, save one or maybe two), but I’m surprised no one mentioned the 2007 Montana team.

We had what? Like 12 NFL players on that team?

****in Wofford...

Serpentor
April 7th, 2018, 10:48 AM
I believe I mentioned SHSU in 2011 in a previous post but that was a very good team. Like you said that was a slugfest. SHSU had a very good defense that year and Flanders was really good.

Dewey

Any other team besides the Bison in the finals that year and the Bearkats get the natty.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
April 7th, 2018, 01:10 PM
The safety Felton just runs over at the end of that play is Corey Lynch, an all american who played in the NFL. There have been good running backs in the FCS since Felton, but I'm not sure I've seen anyone who ran the ball like he did. The guy was a horse.

This is the same Corey Lynch who a couple of years later had the field goal block heard around the world and darn near housed it in the Big House.

dewey
April 7th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Any other team besides the Bison in the finals that year and the Bearkats get the natty.

Agreed. If it wasn't for that late interception return to the 1 yard line that game may very well end up the other way.

Plus the game punt and middle screen. 3 plays decided that game.

Dewey

mvemjsunpx
April 7th, 2018, 02:19 PM
It’s easily the 1996 Montana team (likely would have won a championship against any other championship team from any other year, save one or maybe two), but I’m surprised no one mentioned the 2007 Montana team.

We had what? Like 12 NFL players on that team?

****in Wofford...

They only got the #3 seed in the playoffs, though, so the #1 & #2 seeds from that year (who also didn't win it) should maybe be ahead of them. That 2007 Griz team also seemed kinda complacent and inexplicably struggled against seemingly overmatched opponents during Big Sky play. I didn't expect them to lose to Wofford at the time, but—in retrospect—they were kinda asking to get upset. The 2008 & 2009 Griz were better overall teams despite being worse on paper.

soconjohn
April 10th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Furman 2004 has to be on this list...JMU-Furman in the playoffs that year was easily the best game...And regarding the 2008 JMU Dukes...Yes, that was one of the best teams to not win it...I would add App State 1995 to the list.

soconjohn
April 10th, 2018, 11:03 AM
And EKU wouldn't have beaten Frankie DeBusk and Furman whether it had Lorenzo Fields or not...Furman was hitting on all cylinders in 1990...Furman's 1989 team is probably the best FCS team ever not to win it, as DeBusk suffered a knee season-ending knee injury against William & Mary that season...I would agree with the 1998 GSU team as well...That team was stacked.

thebootfitter
April 12th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I agree that no individual players in FCS were likely to "slow Moss down." However, an overall defensive scheme that essentially takes Moss out of the game is likely possible if you're solid everywhere on defense. Pressure on the quarterback... making the QB run scared and off balance... shutting down the run game with the defensive front, allowing Moss to be double teamed in the right situations, etc. If the quarterback has trouble getting the ball to Moss in many situations, Moss would be much less of a factor, regardless of how good he is.

There may be other defenses that I'm not familiar with that might be interesting as well, but I'd love to see a match up of the 1996 Marshall offense with the 2013 Bison defense. I don't claim to know how it would play out, but I suspect Moss would be less of a factor than everyone would expect.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 01:42 PM
I agree that no individual players in FCS were likely to "slow Moss down." However, an overall defensive scheme that essentially takes Moss out of the game is likely possible if you're solid everywhere on defense. Pressure on the quarterback... making the QB run scared and off balance... shutting down the run game with the defensive front, allowing Moss to be double teamed in the right situations, etc. If the quarterback has trouble getting the ball to Moss in many situations, Moss would be much less of a factor, regardless of how good he is.

There may be other defenses that I'm not familiar with that might be interesting as well, but I'd love to see a match up of the 1996 Marshall offense with the 2013 Bison defense. I don't claim to know how it would play out, but I suspect Moss would be less of a factor than everyone would expect.

That is always what everybody thought until they played them. The NDSU defense was phenomenal but it was nowhere near the talent level of NFL D's that tried doubling him often and paid the price anyway...not with other players...with him beating the double.

BTW, we're only talking about Moss but the rest of that team was stacked even without him but I think without him 2013 Bison would take them.

In one of the playoff games against either UNI or Furman I think it was the defense did a really good job of holding Moss to only 3 touches. Guess how many TD's he had that day?

Delaware held him to 8 receptions in the playoffs that year as well. He only had 3 TD's and 288 yds. that day so you know...good luck with that D scheme and so forth and keeping the ball away from him.

Him and his stupid f'n striped socks would have eaten NDSU's lunch and I don't have to convince you or even care but I'm telling you he was several levels above anyone NDSU has ever played.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 01:57 PM

Booter, check this out. There are 7 or 8 guys in this screen play that have a shot at him and are within a yard of the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=26&v=oOYH6PPYaPI

Dude was just an exceptional talent. xthumbsupx

Bisonoline
April 12th, 2018, 02:00 PM
That is always what everybody thought until they played them. The NDSU defense was phenomenal but it was nowhere near the talent level of NFL D's that tried doubling him often and paid the price anyway...not with other players...with him beating the double.

BTW, we're only talking about Moss but the rest of that team was stacked even without him but I think without him 2013 Bison would take them.

In one of the playoff games against either UNI or Furman I think it was the defense did a really good job of holding Moss to only 3 touches. Guess how many TD's he had that day?

Delaware held him to 8 receptions in the playoffs that year as well. He only had 3 TD's and 288 yds. that day so you know...good luck with that D scheme and so forth and keeping the ball away from him.

Him and his stupid f'n striped socks would have eaten NDSU's lunch and I don't have to convince you or even care but I'm telling you he was several levels above anyone NDSU has ever played.

Then what you have to do is just admit that he is going to get his yards and try and slow him down but take away everything else. You live by the sword you die by the sword.

TheKingpin28
April 12th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Then what you have to do is just admit that he is going to get his yards and try and slow him down but take away everything else. You live by the sword you die by the sword.We heard this about all of the phenomenal weapons that went on to the NFL and the whole bend but don't break mentality worked out quite well.

Don't get me wrong, the guy was a freak of nature, and I'd bet he would get a TD and 100-150yds but if that is all he got, I'd call that a success.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Then what you have to do is just admit that he is going to get his yards and try and slow him down but take away everything else. You live by the sword you die by the sword.

Yeah, that was our idea going into the game from what I recall and that didn't work out so well either. These are not new concepts that were not tried against the dude by many different D coordinators.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 02:09 PM
We heard this about all of the phenomenal weapons that went on to the NFL and the whole bend but don't break mentality worked out quite well.

Don't get me wrong, the guy was a freak of nature, and I'd bet he would get a TD and 100-150yds but if that is all he got, I'd call that a success.

I bet you thought that about Kupp too but Kupp as good as he was didn't hold a candle to Moss. As I said the rest of the Herd was also loaded with great players so it's not as if he's the only problem. He would have embarrassed you just like he did everyone else.

TheKingpin28
April 12th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I bet you thought that about Kupp too but Kupp as good as he was didn't hold a candle to Moss. As I said the rest of the Herd was also loaded with great players so it's not as if he's the only problem. He would have embarrassed you just like he did everyone else.Yet the bison held him to 62yds on 5 catches for 2 TDs. This is why I said keeping him under 150 and at 1 TD would be a success. The thing is, that defense did not give up rushing yards which is why they could play Cover 3 and let Marcus Williams and Christian Dudzik cover him with Heagle there to help with run or send him back to cover the pass. I'd take a defense with Smith, Williams, Heagle, Champion, Thorton, Beck, Olson, Littlejohn, and Dudzik to get that job done in the secondary while trusting that Drevlow, Leevon, Luecke, Jirik, Emanuel, and Hardie disrupt the run.

Yeah I'd take that 2013 defense over the Marshall offense any day of the week. As I said, Moss would get his yards, but that defense would do some serious work to slow them down. Oh and with Brock Jensen at the helm to run that offense, yeah give me that 2013 Bison team any day of the week.

Silenoz
April 12th, 2018, 02:28 PM
65 yards and 2 TDs in just over a half? I guess that's one way to look at it

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Yet the bison held him to 62yds on 5 catches for 2 TDs. This is why I said keeping him under 150 and at 1 TD would be a success. The thing is, that defense did not give up rushing yards which is why they could play Cover 3 and let Marcus Williams and Christian Dudzik cover him with Heagle there to help with run or send him back to cover the pass. I'd take a defense with Smith, Williams, Heagle, Champion, Thorton, Beck, Olson, Littlejohn, and Dudzik to get that job done in the secondary while trusting that Drevlow, Leevon, Luecke, Jirik, Emanuel, and Hardie disrupt the run.

Yeah I'd take that 2013 defense over the Marshall offense any day of the week. As I said, Moss would get his yards, but that defense would do some serious work to slow them down. Oh and with Brock Jensen at the helm to run that offense, yeah give me that 2013 Bison team any day of the week.

Yeah, but I actually watched both of them play (teams, and the players spoken of) and you can take the 2013 Bison all day long if you want to. They would lose that game.

They were a better team because they were absolute cheaters inside their program. Now the best team ever that played by the rules? Bison 2013, hands down.

TheKingpin28
April 12th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Yeah, but I actually watched both of them play (teams, and the players spoken of) and you can take the 2013 Bison all day long if you want to. They would lose that game.

They were a better team because they were absolute cheaters inside their program. Now the best team ever that played by the rules? Bison 2013, hands down.You do realize I am old enough to have seen that game and remembered it, right? I'm not that young, but that said, 20 years or so of difference between two teams is a long time with how athletes train.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 02:32 PM
65 yards and 2 TDs in just over a half? I guess that's one way to look at it

I was just coming back to ask that one cuz I was thinking "Hey, didn't Kupp only play a 1/2 in that game?" xolx

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 02:38 PM
You do realize I am old enough to have seen that game and remembered it, right? I'm not that young, but that said, 20 years or so of difference between two teams is a long time with how athletes train.

Doesn't matter, if the teams could play they would both play under the same training etc. so those arguments are null & void so set that aside. Even in our dream scenarios there have to be some rules.

Forgive me if I am not willing to take a 4 yr. olds assessment of a game they wouldn't have cared about and a team they did not watch.

I did care about it a whole lot and also was deeply interested in the 2013 Bison is what I was getting at so I trust my own opinion in that regard...and any regard really. xlolx

TheKingpin28
April 12th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Doesn't matter, if the teams could play they would both play under the same training etc. so those arguments are null & void so set that aside. Even in our dream scenarios there have to be some rules.

Forgive me if I am not willing to take a 4 yr. olds assessment of a game they wouldn't have cared about and a team they did not watch.

I did care about it a whole lot and also was deeply interested in the 2013 Bison is what I was getting at so I trust my own opinion in that regard...and any regard really. xlolxI was just making the point that I do remember him wearing the green and white. After that, well...

ursus arctos horribilis
April 12th, 2018, 02:41 PM
I was just making the point that I do remember him wearing the green and white. After that, well...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalkxthumbsupx

thebootfitter
April 12th, 2018, 03:19 PM
Yeah, that was our idea going into the game from what I recall and that didn't work out so well either. These are not new concepts that were not tried against the dude by many different D coordinators.
I get it. I've only ever seen film from his college days, and I admit that he was spectacular. I know Montana had a pretty spectacular team that year as well, and it's pretty difficult to judge across the years, but I'd put money on 2013 NDSU against 1996 Montana if it came down to it. While Moss was in all likelihood better by far than any other receivers that have ever played against the Bison, pretty much all the fans of other teams with superstar players who have played the Bison have also said, "Yeah, you can slow everyone else down, but you've never seen a player like x before!" And somehow they (nearly) always find a way to win the ones that count. It's like the x factor of Moss (he's awesome!) against the x factor of the Bison (they just win). I'd even go so far to say that Marshall may win 8 or 9 of ten on a neutral field, but in the game that counts, I wouldn't count out the 2013 Bison.

You may be right, Ursus. I respect your opinion. But I wouldn't concede that you are right until I saw the game played (which just isn't possible).

POD Knows
April 12th, 2018, 03:28 PM
I was just coming back to ask that one cuz I was thinking "Hey, didn't Kupp only play a 1/2 in that game?" xolxWe didn't play EWU in 2013, that D that Kupp played against, where he only played a half, was the 2016 Bison and that Bison team was a shadow of the 2013 team.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 13th, 2018, 12:52 PM
We didn't play EWU in 2013, that D that Kupp played against, where he only played a half, was the 2016 Bison and that Bison team was a shadow of the 2013 team.

Yeah I know but I was going with what Kingpin had presented and thought about correcting him on who played when and so forth but was sure he knew that so just went along with the spirit of what he was saying.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 13th, 2018, 12:55 PM
I get it. I've only ever seen film from his college days, and I admit that he was spectacular. I know Montana had a pretty spectacular team that year as well, and it's pretty difficult to judge across the years, but I'd put money on 2013 NDSU against 1996 Montana if it came down to it. While Moss was in all likelihood better by far than any other receivers that have ever played against the Bison, pretty much all the fans of other teams with superstar players who have played the Bison have also said, "Yeah, you can slow everyone else down, but you've never seen a player like x before!" And somehow they (nearly) always find a way to win the ones that count. It's like the x factor of Moss (he's awesome!) against the x factor of the Bison (they just win). I'd even go so far to say that Marshall may win 8 or 9 of ten on a neutral field, but in the game that counts, I wouldn't count out the 2013 Bison.

You may be right, Ursus. I respect your opinion. But I wouldn't concede that you are right until I saw the game played (which just isn't possible).

If they could play we'd have a bet. I also understand your line of thinking as I feel that way about your team against any other team.xthumbsupx

uni88
April 13th, 2018, 10:11 PM
While Moss was in all likelihood better by far than any other receivers that have ever played against the Bison
Is there really even a question? IMO Moss was the most gifted (size, strength, speed, hands, athletic ability, etc.) receiver to ever play the game. Unfortunately he didn't have Jerry Rice's drive, attitude or training regime. But he was unstoppable when he cared.

Redbird 4th & short
April 13th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Is there really even a question? IMO Moss was the most gifted (size, strength, speed, hands, athletic ability, etc.) receiver to ever play the game. Unfortunately he didn't have Jerry Rice's drive, attitude or training regime. But he was unstoppable when he cared.

that completely sums it up perfectly.

but to put the proper perspective on how good Jerry Rice was ... the dude only ran a 4.7 forty .. mind boggling when you think about how well he created separation and found seams, and was unstoppable with nowhere near Moss's athletic skills.

JacksFan40
April 14th, 2018, 06:35 PM

but to put the proper perspective on how good Jerry Rice was ... the dude only ran a 4.7 forty .. mind boggling when you think about how well he created separation and found seams, and was unstoppable with nowhere near Moss's athletic skills.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

NY Crusader 2010
April 15th, 2018, 04:06 PM

Jerry Rice once had a 24-catch day while at MVSU, NCAA record for receptions in a game. You have to be busting it off the line on EVERY PLAY to get open enough just to get anywhere close to that many targets. Especially since Rice was the guy that opposing defenses would be keying on.

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2018, 11:38 PM
I'm gonna be a homer for just a second, but the 1998 FAMU team was pretty good. Started the season out with a 21-14 loss to a playoff team, Hampton, while still figuring out our QB situation. Ended up winning 11 games in a row, had the top rated offense in the nation, and won our first playoff game since the 1978 National Title(beat Troy 27-17). Ended up losing a close game to Western Illinois on the road 24-21 in the 2nd round. That team was very entertaining and had all the ability in the world to go much deeper in the playoffs that year.

FAMU led the nation in points per game with 49.5

And if you're a true FCS football fan, then you should remember a receiver by the name of Jacquay Nunnally...he ended up breaking Jerry Rice's NCAA reception record while at FAMU

Here is the season wrap up for that 1998 team, included clips from those playoff games. The 1998 team will also be honored at a home game this season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h65yrIWe5Vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVe3xnaV8_I

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2018, 11:45 PM
The 1999 FAMU Football team could also make a case...Yeah, this was a 3 loss team during the regular season...but FAMU lost to Miami, Tennessee State(who entered the playoffs with #1 ranking) and NCA&T who also entered the playoffs ranked 16th. This FAMU team went on the road and upset App State, Troy, and Choked away a 4th quarter lead against Youngstown State on the road in the semifinals...the 1999 FAMU football was just as dangerous as any team that's been in the playoffs and should've been playing for a National Title.

The 1999 team was also very high scoring, averaging just over 45 points per game.

Here are highlights of that 1999 team, including the 1999 playoffs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-uDt5GmzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHFTo_bFeQY

Big Dawg
April 15th, 2018, 11:46 PM
1999 FAMU football team continued..the semifinal 4th quarter collapse against Youngstown State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq6KG7yf22g

ST_Lawson
April 16th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Ended up losing a close game to Western Illinois on the road 24-21 in the 2nd round.

I remember that game...quite a nailbiter for me (it was my sophomore year in the Marching Leathernecks). For a December game in Illinois, it was pretty warm (mid-50s).
For anyone interested:
Box score - http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/98/wiu-13.htm
Game program - http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/ref/collection/wiu_sports/id/4445
Game recap article (Orlando Sentinel) - http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1998-12-06/sports/9812060362_1_western-illinois-yard-leathernecks

That was Aaron Stecker's senior year, and while not as impressive as his 176 ypg average from '97, he put up 125 ypg that season, which is still pretty substantial.
1998 was by a good chunk our best defensive team in our history, only allowing 12.5 ppg and is generally considered one of the top 3 Leatherneck teams of all time.

NY Crusader 2010
April 16th, 2018, 08:40 PM
A nationally relevant FAMU would be great for FCS.

leatherneck177
April 19th, 2018, 10:20 PM
2002 Western Illinois, possibly 2003 team as well.

ALPHAGRIZ1
April 22nd, 2018, 09:22 AM
UNH 2005

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with this pick, JMU was scary good that year.

Didnt scare us.......

ALPHAGRIZ1
April 22nd, 2018, 09:35 AM

2013 Bison would lose to 1996 Montana 7 out of 10 games
2013 Bison would have lost 10 out of 10 to 1996 Marshall

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 22nd, 2018, 10:00 AM
2013 Bison would lose to 1996 Montana 7 out of 10 games
2013 Bison would have lost 10 out of 10 to 1996 Marshall

2013 Bison would have lost 10/10 to 2017 Montana

ALPHAGRIZ1
April 24th, 2018, 07:25 PM
2013 Bison would have lost 10/10 to 2017 Montana

2013 Bison would win 9 of 10 from 2017 Griz

GreenGlasses
April 26th, 2018, 09:47 PM

You would lose your money every time too. The 1996 Marshall team wasn't just Randy Moss. They also had Eric Kresser (QB), James Williams (WR opposite of Mass and just as fast at 4.36), Doug Chapman (RB), Billy Lyon (DE/LB), John Grace (LB) and Chris Hanson (K/P) just to name a few. Everyone said they would slow Moss down, no one ever did in his 2 years in Huntington, in the SoCon or the MAC. Moss had over 4500 yards and 54 TDs in 2 years. He avged a TD every 3.12 catches.

Here is your dilemma, play Moss one on one and get beat every time down the field, double team him and get beat 2 out of every 3 times, triple team him with 2 CBs and a Safety over top and watch Kresser throw the ball to Williams on the other side or hand the ball off to Doug Chapman and watch him bowl over the 4 left in the box. The 96 Marshall team had 17 draft picks on it from the 97-01 NFL Draft. And 27 players was at least a UFA and had at least a preseason opportunity to make a roster spot. Two of those first round picks in Randy Moss and Chad Pennington (Pennington was red shirted in 1996 as Eric Kresser was the starting QB).

The 2013 Bison would lose to the 1996 Thundering Herd 10 out of 10 times and most likely loses to the 2nd best team to ever play in IAA the 1996 Montana Griz at least 9 out of 10 times.

Redbird 4th & short
April 27th, 2018, 07:34 AM
blah blah blah .... blah blah blah blah .... blah blah ..... The 96 Marshall team had 17 draft picks on it from the 97-01 NFL Draft. And 27 players was at least a UFA and had at least a preseason opportunity to make a roster spot .... blah blah blah .... blah blah

whoa ... if the bold part is true .. I may seriously have to change my vote.

thebootfitter
April 27th, 2018, 12:05 PM
You would lose your money every time too. The 1996 Marshall team wasn't just Randy Moss. They also had Eric Kresser (QB), James Williams (WR opposite of Mass and just as fast at 4.36), Doug Chapman (RB), Billy Lyon (DE/LB), John Grace (LB) and Chris Hanson (K/P) just to name a few. Everyone said they would slow Moss down, no one ever did in his 2 years in Huntington, in the SoCon or the MAC. Moss had over 4500 yards and 54 TDs in 2 years. He avged a TD every 3.12 catches.

Here is your dilemma, play Moss one on one and get beat every time down the field, double team him and get beat 2 out of every 3 times, triple team him with 2 CBs and a Safety over top and watch Kresser throw the ball to Williams on the other side or hand the ball off to Doug Chapman and watch him bowl over the 4 left in the box. The 96 Marshall team had 17 draft picks on it from the 97-01 NFL Draft. And 27 players was at least a UFA and had at least a preseason opportunity to make a roster spot. Two of those first round picks in Randy Moss and Chad Pennington (Pennington was red shirted in 1996 as Eric Kresser was the starting QB).

The 2013 Bison would lose to the 1996 Thundering Herd 10 out of 10 times and most likely loses to the 2nd best team to ever play in IAA the 1996 Montana Griz at least 9 out of 10 times.
How would I lose my money??? xeyebrowx All I'm saying is that I'd love to see the game played out. Alas...

You may be right. We'll never know for sure. There are some points of comparison mentioned in this thread that make it not a clear case either way.

Here's a counter-point to your most recent one: The Bison, as a team, beat a team that had something like 13 draft picks on it. (Someone more up on stats and the details can correct me if I'm wrong.) Pretty soundly. The Bison, as a team, have an incredible tradition of playing stronger as a team than the combined individual talent on the opposing team. Sure, I'm a bit biased. No doubt. But I have reason to be when I've seen the success they've had -- even when naysayers said they didn't have a chance. (Maybe especially when they were told they didn't have a chance.)

Personally, I think it would be a really good game if it could be played out.

But -- that has nothing to do with the thread title, since both 2013 Bison and 1996 Marshall won the championship. My vote for best team ever to NOT win the championship would probably have to go to 1996 Montana.

AmsterBison
April 27th, 2018, 12:59 PM
JMU 2017

#1 scoring defense even after four playoff games
Average scoring margin: +23.27
26-game winning streak

Hard to judge those older teams.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 27th, 2018, 01:23 PM
How would I lose my money??? xeyebrowx All I'm saying is that I'd love to see the game played out. Alas...

You may be right. We'll never know for sure. There are some points of comparison mentioned in this thread that make it not a clear case either way.

Here's a counter-point to your most recent one: The Bison, as a team, beat a team that had something like 13 draft picks on it. (Someone more up on stats and the details can correct me if I'm wrong.) Pretty soundly. The Bison, as a team, have an incredible tradition of playing stronger as a team than the combined individual talent on the opposing team. Sure, I'm a bit biased. No doubt. But I have reason to be when I've seen the success they've had -- even when naysayers said they didn't have a chance. (Maybe especially when they were told they didn't have a chance.)

But -- that has nothing to do with the thread title, since both 2013 Bison and 1996 Marshall won the championship. My vote for best team ever to NOT win the championship would probably have to go to 1996 Montana.

After a thread is a month or more old and 10 pgs deep at least I think we just go with the meandering stream wherever it takes us...as long we stay on the same stream and don't grab a political eddy or something like that. xlolx

Bisonoline
April 27th, 2018, 01:53 PM

Dont forget that the 1965 team beat Grambling for the National Championship. The Grambling team had 19 players that went on to the NFL and just didnt play but had careers in the NFL.

thebootfitter
April 27th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Dont forget that the 1965 team beat Grambling for the National Championship. The Grambling team had 19 players that went on to the NFL and just didnt play but had careers in the NFL.
I had always heard 13. I tried googling it and all I could find was a list of draftees from Grambling, but no way to determine who played in that game, nor if there were other undrafted players with NFL careers. Any way you slice it, that was a pretty impressive victory. That's a perfect example of Bison football tradition, if you ask me. And it's why, even acknowledging that 1996 Marshall was stacked with better talent all around, I wouldn't count out the 2013 Bison.

ST_Lawson
April 27th, 2018, 09:16 PM
After a thread is a month or more old and 10 pgs deep at least I think we just go with the meandering stream wherever it takes us...as long we stay on the same stream and don't grab a political eddy or something like that. xlolx

I love offseason threads....so random.

AmsterBison
April 28th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I had always heard 13. I tried googling it and all I could find was a list of draftees from Grambling, but no way to determine who played in that game, nor if there were other undrafted players with NFL careers. Any way you slice it, that was a pretty impressive victory. That's a perfect example of Bison football tradition, if you ask me. And it's why, even acknowledging that 1996 Marshall was stacked with better talent all around, I wouldn't count out the 2013 Bison.

Waaaaay off topic... every box score I see from NDSU for this game said that NDSU averaged 14.5 yards per punt on 7 punts. Example: http://gobison.com/sports/1965/12/11/969051838.aspx?id=2128

I think it was 41.5 yards per punt though (which was incredibly good for back then)

Sycamore62
April 30th, 2018, 09:14 AM
Indiana State 1984

ursus arctos horribilis
April 30th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Indiana State 1984

I am narrowing down when you played! xlolx

Sycamore62
May 3rd, 2018, 03:06 PM
I am narrowing down when you played! xlolx

lol, 93-97. we were just ranked #1 during that season. I guess SIU beat them and won it that year.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 3rd, 2018, 03:14 PM
lol, 93-97. we were just ranked #1 during that season. I guess SIU beat them and won it that year.

That is my favorite era of football fwiw.

clenz
May 3rd, 2018, 06:48 PM
Illinois State 2011

BisonFan02
May 3rd, 2018, 08:43 PM
Illinois State 2011

You mean MVFC title?

OL FU
May 6th, 2018, 08:02 PM
We are cheaters (whoops I mean Marshall)

bobcathpdevil56
May 7th, 2018, 04:23 PM

If you are talking about the 1984 SIU team winning the National Championship that is incorrect. That was the year that Montana State won over Louisiana Tech for the natty.

Sycamore62
May 9th, 2018, 09:17 AM
If you are talking about the 1984 SIU team winning the National Championship that is incorrect. That was the year that Montana State won over Louisiana Tech for the natty.

I had it backwards. we werent ranked that high in 1983 and lost to SIU who won.

in 1984 we lost to Middle Tennessee St in the 2nd round(1st round bye back when there were 12 teams)

Sycamore62
May 9th, 2018, 09:25 AM
So I have to change mine to (tie)Indiana State 1983; Indiana State 1984

bobcathpdevil56
May 9th, 2018, 02:07 PM
I had it backwards. we werent ranked that high in 1983 and lost to SIU who won.

in 1984 we lost to Middle Tennessee St in the 2nd round(1st round bye back when there were 12 teams)

Gotcha. It is just Bobcat fans have little to cling to for warmth, 1984 is one of those teams.

Sycamore62
May 9th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Gotcha. It is just Bobcat fans have little to cling to for warmth, 1984 is one of those teams.

lol, Most Sycamore fans do the same

BisonFan02
May 9th, 2018, 07:06 PM

At least you have one of those teams.

Bison56
May 14th, 2018, 07:20 AM
2017 JMU Dukes