PDA

View Full Version : SLC Joins Six Other FCS Conferences - America Channel

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2007, 10:15 AM
I've seen a few press releases as of late as it relates to the America Channel. America Channel is no ESPN or Fox Sports Net, but it provides another place for coverage of athletic events.

A big perk it seems it that there'll be content highlighting student-athletes as well as the release states that the parties involved will "cooperate to create video content about the aspirations, achievements, challenges, adventures, community service, and lifestyles of students and student athletes."

In the fold for the America Channel is six other FCS conferences (Ivy, Big South, SoCon, CAA - formerly A10, Big Sky and Patriot League). According to the release, they have three more conferences joining soon.

More on America Channel: http://www.americachannel.us/
----------
From the Southland Conference...

SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE AND AMERICA CHANNEL ENTER INTO SPORTS BROADCAST AND CONTENT COOPERATION AGREEMENT

The new partnership will enhance television exposure for the Southland Conference.

Feb. 26, 2007

Frisco, TX and Heathrow, FL - The America Channel and the Southland Conference announced today that they have entered into a comprehensive video sports broadcast and content cooperation agreement. The new agreement covers television broadcasts of football, women's and men's basketball, and the Conference tournaments for volleyball, women's soccer, baseball and softball. Broadcasts will commence in the fall of 2007.

The Southland Conference member institutions are: University of Texas - Arlington, Stephen F. Austin State University, University of Central Arkansas, Northwestern State University, Southeastern Louisiana University, Texas State University, University of Texas - San Antonio, Texas A&M - Corpus Christi, Sam Houston State University, Lamar University, McNeese State University, and Nicholls State University.

The America Channel has now partnered with 13 NCAA Division I Conferences. The America Channel previously announced sports broadcast and content relationships with Big South Conference, Southern Conference, Big West Conference, Colonial Athletic Association, Big Sky Conference, America East Conference, Patriot League, Ivy League, and Atlantic Sun Conference. In addition, three more conference television deals will be announced later.

"The Southland Conference member institutions provide us with a combination of outstanding athletics, and a unique academic and cultural heritage," stated Doron Gorshein, CEO of The America Channel. "We look forward to working with the Southland Conference to generate more television exposure for their sports, as well as for their campus life as part of our SportsLife initiative."

The America Channel previously announced its SportLife TM initiative, pursuant to which The America Channel and its Conference partners, their Student Athletic Advisory Committees (SAACs) and Universities, will cooperate to create video content about the aspirations, achievements, challenges, adventures, community service, and lifestyles of students and student athletes.

"The new partnership will enhance television exposure for the Southland Conference," said Tom Burnett, Commissioner of the Southland Conference. "In addition, the opportunity to showcase sports, combined with the showcasing of our students and student athletes, presents a unique value proposition and we're excited to be working together with The America Channel."

http://southland.cstv.com/genrel/022607aaa.html

Lehigh Football Nation
February 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM
The America Channel continues to snap up TV rights for football games (and also basketball and other collegiate sports). Good for our conferences, which will serve as another broadcast outlet for our telecasts. The more exposure, the better! :twocents:

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
The America Channel continues to snap up TV rights for football games (and also basketball and other collegiate sports). Good for our conferences, which will serve as another broadcast outlet for our telecasts. The more exposure, the better! :twocents:

I'm a bit confused when reading up on the America Channel...

Can anyone explain this? Do I have to change television providers to a cable company owned by a telephone? I have DirecTV and I know they have dealings with Bell South. Will I get The America Channel?

How can I get The America Channel® ?
Seven telcos plan to launch The America Channel. This represents close to 90% of the projected telco video space. When your telephone company introduces television service to your area, chances are the lineup will include The America Channel.

When will The America Channel® be available?
The America Channel® expects to launch in the summer of 2007. To get TAC® in your area, call your local television provider today.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 26th, 2007, 10:57 AM
I tackled this in a blog posting when the PL was included in this package:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2006/12/america-channel-to-broadcast-patriot.html#comments

How can I get this network? The network hasn't been launched yet, but it is the spearhead of an aggressive trade association (the Association of Independent Programming Nets) that has been fighting to break into distribution with major cable packages. Called a "rebel rouser" by CableFax daily, they have been politically active in asking for things like "a la carte" channel selection (basically, allowing viewers to pick and choose the channels they want) and other such industry issues. They were set to launch in November 2006, but the launch date has been delayed to either summer 2007 or even November 2007. It has to be said: despite their leadership with industry veterans, it's unclear if the channel will be on your local cable system any time soon - if ever.

TexasTerror
February 26th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Sounds a great deal like the failed network, 'The Football Network'. Remember them? They did a game at Sam Houston State a few years back and I don't think anyone ever got paid from that one...

Keeper
February 27th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Like espn2 and other new channels....
we had to bombard our local provider with requests
to add to our lineup.

Once they know there is a demand, they will add on
(usually). Hopefully your provider programs from one
of the seven giant telcos.

catamount man
February 27th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Remember CSTV and how it was supposed to the i-aa only channel? Yeah, that lasted what, 2 years?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

mainejeff
February 27th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Remember CSTV and how it was supposed to the i-aa only channel? Yeah, that lasted what, 2 years?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I still don't understand why CSTV never did a specific time slot for I-AA football (much like their Friday Night College Hockey). I think Thursday night or Saturday night would be perfect to show a weekly "I-AA (FSC) Game of the Week".

chrisattsu
February 28th, 2007, 08:48 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

The D2 fan in me likes CSTV. They are finally giving us some coverage. They offer a handful of games that make it onto the channel or the the 6 - 8 football games that are webcast weekly during the season.

I hope that they continue with that.