PDA

View Full Version : Another media "A-HOLE" award?

BearIt
July 20th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I recently moved to Vancouver, WA and earlier this week I was watching the Sports report on KOIN 6 in Portland. He was reporting the Coach's/Media preseason Big Sky poll. Here is what he put on the screen:

1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Montana State
4 Portland State
5. Portland school of massage

What an ASS!! His commentary along with the list essentially said, "who cares." PSU doesn't have a lot of local fans and with media support like that they never will.

GOKATS
July 20th, 2005, 07:37 PM
PSU the last few years has put together some good programs and I think they'll be in the race this year. Forget the media- I do.

Good luck this year (except MSU). :)

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2005, 07:47 PM
That's the BIG SKY conference. B...I...G...S...K..Y. As long as he spells it right, he can say what he wants. At least it gets coverage.

Besides, Portland State is Oregon's best shot at a national title. Oregon and Oregon State certainly don't have an icicle's chance in hell.

GannonFan
July 20th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I recently moved to Vancouver, WA and earlier this week I was watching the Sports report on KOIN 6 in Portland. He was reporting the Coach's/Media preseason Big Sky poll. Here is what he put on the screen:

1. Eastern Washington
2. Montana
3. Montana State
4 Portland State
5. Portland school of massage

What an ASS!! His commentary along with the list essentially said, "who cares." PSU doesn't have a lot of local fans and with media support like that they never will.

Maybe he's also waiting for a non-Montana Big Sky school to step up in the playoffs and say, win more than a game?

On a serious note, I've been to Portland - Portland St football is just not something people seem to care about - not an unfamiliar position for a IAA team, sad to say, but it is what it is.

Hammerhead
July 20th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I've lived in the Portland area for 9 years and have learned to deal with crappy local sports coverage on all of the local stations. There are just too many minor leauge teams (baseball, soccer, hockey, and now lacross) that take up all of the local sports.

I would bet that far more people trek over 100 miles from Portland to Eugene to watch the Oregon Ducks than the entire attendance at a PSU football game.

BearIt
July 20th, 2005, 11:06 PM
I should be happy that the news even mentioned a story related to I-AA football, but the way this report was presented really ticked me off.

The guy went out of his way to demean I-AA football.

I would rather there be no coverage than that coverage.

blukeys
July 20th, 2005, 11:26 PM
I should be happy that the news even mentioned a story related to I-AA football, but the way this report was presented really ticked me off.

The guy went out of his way to demean I-AA football.

I would rather there be no coverage than that coverage.

I agree Bearit. Even the local TV stations in Philadelphia pretend that Temple has a serious football team even though they know better.

This is just an example of a dumb reporter trying to score points with his buddies by taking a cheap shot. It was unprofessional and uncalled for. I hope officials at PSU find a decent and effective way to respond.

Mr. C
July 21st, 2005, 01:32 AM
Maybe he's also waiting for a non-Montana Big Sky school to step up in the playoffs and say, win more than a game?

On a serious note, I've been to Portland - Portland St football is just not something people seem to care about - not an unfamiliar position for a IAA team, sad to say, but it is what it is.
Hey Gannon, did you forget that Eastern Washington knocked off No. 1 seed Southern Illinois in last year's playoffs?

On the TV sportscaster, how unprofessional can you get. I'd suggest AGS fans flooding his email, but this moronic talking head probably can't read anything that isn't on a teleprompter.

blukeys
July 21st, 2005, 02:46 AM
I'd suggest AGS fans flooding his email, but this moronic talking head probably can't read anything that isn't on a teleprompter.

I'm on board give me the details. ;)

GannonFan
July 21st, 2005, 07:47 AM
Hey Gannon, did you forget that Eastern Washington knocked off No. 1 seed Southern Illinois in last year's playoffs?

Of course not, just like I didn't forget them losing at home in the second round to a team that would get routed by 3 TD's to Montana the week after that - there's another thread on this already.

SoCon48
July 21st, 2005, 09:22 AM
If an A-Hole award is given everytime the media disses a I-AA program, somebody better call a printing company and also apply for a bulk mailing permit.

DuckDuckGriz
July 21st, 2005, 09:58 AM
I'm on board give me the details. ;)

Seriously can someone get us an email or something? When did the newscast happen? The way of putting I-AA ignorance to rest is getting them one at a time.