PDA

View Full Version : 2018-what would you consider a success?

Milktruck74
February 26th, 2018, 07:54 PM
My Mocs Had a tough year in 2017, so the realist in me thinks 6-5 is a solid year. I also know that 7-4 in the soCon with our OOC could mean playoffs. 8-3 for sure post season. We have an FBS game at USC, so that is probably 0-1, we play Tenn Tech and UT Martin, so could be 2-0 or 1-1 in FCS OOC. Figuring 1-2 OOC, we would be 5-3 in the SoCon at 6-5 and I'd consider that a success....not a grand success, but the bottom of the barrel success. 2-1 OOC and 5-3 in SoCon is a little better and 2-1 and 6-2 gets us a bid in the playoffs....but that is an outside shot. So What would you consider a successful 2018? Be realistic.

BisonFan02
February 26th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Natty

Milktruck74
February 26th, 2018, 07:59 PM
Natty

And for you guys that is realistic.

Twentysix
February 26th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Winning a national championship. I'm not kidding when I say that 2016 felt like a huge failure of a year when we lost in the semifinals. We beat FBS #11 Iowa and the year was a throw away. Our perspectives, or at least mine, are completely warped.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Lion1983
February 26th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Natty

Winterborn
February 26th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Natty

And a perfect record.

dewey
February 26th, 2018, 08:46 PM
To me a successful season is a semi-final appearance and a conference championship.

National championships are dream seasons. We have a warped version of normal.

Dewey

Mike296
February 26th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Winning the OVC and Winning a playoff game would be a success in my eyes unrealistically. Realistically though a conference championship would suffice.

BEAR
February 26th, 2018, 08:52 PM
After being dicked over by a coach during the playoffs cutting short the potential we really had, success for us would be to make progress in the playoffs. We lost alot but apparently had a good recruiting class so I foresee a winning season and an outside shot at the playoffs.

ST_Lawson
February 26th, 2018, 09:21 PM
7-4, make the playoffs...not get sent to the toughest unseeded team in the playoffs.

JSUSoutherner
February 26th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Win a playoff game.

Realistically though a conference championship would suffice.

Good luck with that. xthumbsupx

Wildcat1997
February 26th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Just taking the step of being a respectable team instead of the dumpster fire we’ve been the last few years. So anywhere from 4-6 wins which I think is very possible.

BisonFan02
February 26th, 2018, 10:26 PM
To me a successful season is a semi-final appearance and a conference championship.

National championships are dream seasons. We have a warped version of normal.

Dewey

On paper anyway, this year's Bison should be a better team than this past season....its almost silly.

Serpentor
February 26th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Not losing by 7+ touchdowns in the playoffs would be a nice start...

TheKingpin28
February 26th, 2018, 11:06 PM
On paper anyway, this year's Bison should be a better team than this past season....its almost silly.Is this a team that rivals 2013? Serious question? IMO, on paper, that defense should be better than 2013.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 26th, 2018, 11:10 PM
For Lehigh.....

A legit 7-4/8-3 record because the defense rose to a respectable level. I doubt Lehigh 3-peats as PL Champs. Still, an 8-3 season given the Mountain Hawk's schedule would put them in the hunt for an at-large bid/Top 25 ranking.

BisonFan02
February 26th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Is this a team that rivals 2013? Serious question? IMO, on paper, that defense should be better than 2013.

I wouldn't go that far.....another random note though, that 2013 team played ALOT of football...and by the postseason, they were probably a half step slower than they were capable of. Health will be a factor.

TheKingpin28
February 26th, 2018, 11:22 PM
I wouldn't go that far.....another random note though, that 2013 team played ALOT of football...and by the postseason, they were probably a half step slower than they were capable of. Health will be a factor.I just see Menard coming back and Cox becoming a candidate for Buchanan Player of the Year, while the CBs come back healthy with Bridges and Josh getting valuable championship game time. I just need football to start back up. Hell, I will settle for Spring Ball at this point. xlolx

PAllen
February 26th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Two playoff wins. Is it going to happen? No, but I'm tired of watching this program spin it's wheels as it slips backwards.

Oh, and in case it needs saying, beating Lafayette is a must.

cx500d
February 27th, 2018, 12:05 AM

Good luck with that

cx500d
February 27th, 2018, 12:06 AM
Two playoff wins. Is it going to happen? No, but I'm tired of watching this program spin it's wheels as it slips backwards.

Oh, and in case it needs saying, beating Lafayette is a must.

All you need is a defense.

Bisonoline
February 27th, 2018, 12:27 AM
A deep run in the playoffs.

UNHWildcat18
February 27th, 2018, 05:53 AM
going 8-3 and making it to at least the quarters again.

PaladinFan
February 27th, 2018, 06:53 AM
Furman won 8 games in their first year under a new regime. They had 49 freshmen on the roster and brand new systems on both offense and defense. They will return virtually the entire two deep defense and most of the offense.

I expect a big step forward in 2018 as the roster is now in year 2 of a new system. I would think that a SoCon title and an 8 win season would be a reachable goal. I do expect the SoCon to be as good as it has been in some time, so it'll be a fight to the finish.

With a really young team Furman went out and won a playoff game last year. I think they can look to make another run this season, maybe get a seed and advance into the third round.

chattownmocs
February 27th, 2018, 06:58 AM
My Mocs Had a tough year in 2017, so the realist in me thinks 6-5 is a solid year. I also know that 7-4 in the soCon with our OOC could mean playoffs. 8-3 for sure post season. We have an FBS game at USC, so that is probably 0-1, we play Tenn Tech and UT Martin, so could be 2-0 or 1-1 in FCS OOC. Figuring 1-2 OOC, we would be 5-3 in the SoCon at 6-5 and I'd consider that a success....not a grand success, but the bottom of the barrel success. 2-1 OOC and 5-3 in SoCon is a little better and 2-1 and 6-2 gets us a bid in the playoffs....but that is an outside shot. So What would you consider a successful 2018? Be realistic.

It's hard to say. Hopefully the defense can build upon the last 3 games. No doubt we have the personnel to be very good on that side of the ball. Hopefully our O can take a pretty big step forward. The O-line was embarrassingly bad, need some huge improvement there and everything else will fall into place nicely. But that is no guarantee.

dewey
February 27th, 2018, 06:58 AM
I wouldn't go that far.....another random note though, that 2013 team played ALOT of football...and by the postseason, they were probably a half step slower than they were capable of. Health will be a factor.I would agree with the 2013 being banged up by the title game. Marcus Williams is a prime example of that. That pick 6 he had in the 2nd round against Furman you could tell he was hurting. Also Grant Olson tearing his ACL.

This year's NDSU team lost Nate Tanguay, Nick DeLuca and Tre Dempsey when the 2013 team didn't lose any big time starters from the previous year.

Having a healthy Menard and a future stud in Cox is big.

186 days until the season opener!

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PaladinNation
February 27th, 2018, 07:04 AM
Furman played far more consistently in 2018 compared to the last several seasons.
Furman's youth and physical maturity were exposed in late season matchups against Wofford and Samford.

Getting bigger, stronger and faster seems to be the mantra at Furman.
From what I saw in the spring game. Furman is on its way.

2018, I think Furman gets better as the season progresses as the Dins break-in a young Din at quarterback.
A successful 2018 Furman finishes no lower than 2nd in the SoCon. Makes it back to the playoffs. I would love to see a home playoff game in Gville… it's been a long time. Baby steps to get back to becoming a national player in FCS.

2019… lookout.

chattownmocs
February 27th, 2018, 07:08 AM
What do people expect from JMU this year? Last 2 years they have been right there with NDSU. Big dropoff?

bluehenbillk
February 27th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Delaware - making the playoffs, and winning a 1st round game.

Gil Dobie
February 27th, 2018, 07:33 AM
Conference championship, top 2 seed, playoff games in the dome and a possible championship game.

JSUSoutherner
February 27th, 2018, 08:02 AM
What do people expect from JMU this year? Last 2 years they have been right there with NDSU. Big dropoff?
They’ll be a top 5 team. But without Schor I don’t see them in Frisco.

McNeese72
February 27th, 2018, 08:06 AM
A conference championship followed by, at least, one playoff win.

We have fallen to the level now.

Doc

WeAreThePride
February 27th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Nothing less than to crush our enemies, to see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

PaladinFan
February 27th, 2018, 08:12 AM
It's hard to say. Hopefully the defense can build upon the last 3 games. No doubt we have the personnel to be very good on that side of the ball. Hopefully our O can take a pretty big step forward. The O-line was embarrassingly bad, need some huge improvement there and everything else will fall into place nicely. But that is no guarantee.

I didn't watch a lot of UTC football, but when I did the offensive line looked out of shape, especially against faster and quicker defenses. They were big, but consistently beaten off the ball.

Their defense helped stabilize things a bit late, but their offense is going to be the big question mark. UTC notched 23 points only 1 time last season against a team not named VMI. They were held to 17 or fewer points 8 times. Hard to win many games doing that.

katss07
February 27th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Playoff appearance, take it from there

POD Knows
February 27th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Nothing less than to crush our enemies, to see them driven before us, to hear the lamentations of their women and to drink a toast to ourselves from the skulls of the fallen.FYP

WeAreThePride
February 27th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Playoff appearance, take it from there
As a midwesterner in B10 and MVFC territory, I love defense. But watching a run ‘n gun offense like yours, Baylor, Oklahoma can be absolutely awesome. I hope you make it back to Fargo for a selifinal.

WeAreThePride
February 27th, 2018, 08:25 AM
FYP
As long as it’s not Mich Light.

POD Knows
February 27th, 2018, 08:26 AM
As a midwesterner in B10 and MVFC territory, I love defense. But watching a run ‘n gun offense like yours, Baylor, Oklahoma can be absolutely awesome. I hope you make it back to Fargo for a selifinal.So do I, we need a cupcake before the championship game.

BisonFan02
February 27th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I would agree with the 2013 being banged up by the title game. Marcus Williams is a prime example of that. That pick 6 he had in the 2nd round against Furman you could tell he was hurting. Also Grant Olson tearing his ACL.

This year's NDSU team lost Nate Tanguay, Nick DeLuca and Tre Dempsey when the 2013 team didn't lose any big time starters from the previous year.

Having a healthy Menard and a future stud in Cox is big.

186 days until the season opener!

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't forget Radunz on the OL too.....they are adding back just as much talent as lost. Tanguay and DeLuca are the biggest losses.

walliver
February 27th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Beating Samford (it's been a while), Furman and the Citadel. If we do that, everything else will fall in place.

Our offense is being modernized somewhat, which will hopefully help.
Our defense will still be the the same base defense we have run the last 10 years defense with a few tweaks.
Hopefully, our coaching transition will mirror FU's more than Chatty's.

WeAreThePride
February 27th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Also, we really need to kick some Bunny ass this year. I want to beat them in the regular season, and then kick the **** out of them in the playoffs. I almost want a 5 seed just so we can go into Dikehouse and beat them again.

Daytripper
February 27th, 2018, 08:51 AM
SHSU - make the playoffs...win a couple of playoff games....lose in a respectable fashion.

We can dream, can't we?

Redbird 4th & short
February 27th, 2018, 08:52 AM
ISU Redbirds going 8-3

Positives:
- return 3 stud RBs (incoming 2 JR, and 1 SO) .. should be top 5 in FCS as a group.
- return all OL from 3 deep, except for 1 starter, plus we added a possible starting OT (U of I transfer)
- overhauled our offensive coaching staff, starting with inept OC .. this was reason our offense was so inconsistent last 2 seasons.

Negatives
- defense lost 3 of 4 from DL group
- defense lost 3 of 4 from DB group
- still have a stupid NAIA St Xavier game (9/1/18) on our schedule
- new DC .. like the new guy, but loved the old guy who took a MAC DC job

Net result of overhauling 6 coaches (4 offense, 2 defense), including both coordinators, is very positive. But our defense lost a lot. So I'm expecting with 6-5 or 7-4 ... but 7-4 includes an NAIA win.

So 8-3 or better is a success for my 2018 ISU Redbirds .. 7-4 will be nice result, but will leave us on bubble, leaning wrong way due to NAIA game.

SU DOG
February 27th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Samford has the entire offense returning(barring injuries and late academic casualties of course). I hope this spring shows we can develop at least a little bit of a rushing attack. Our losses on defense, however, were pretty heavy, so some newbies will have to step up. I know there is talent to do so, and we won't have to depend on incoming Fr, but the spring development will be critical. Might as well aim high at this time of the year, so I would say a SoCon title and winning a game or two in the Playoffs.

ElCid
February 27th, 2018, 09:45 AM
The SOCON is going to be a fur ball so winning the Conf would definitely be success for whoever gets it done including my Dogs. That said, a playoff berth, even sans the Conf title, would equate to success for me. With Alafrickenbama on the schedule 2-1 OOC is possible. 5-3 in SOCON play would get us in the conversation at 7-4. I suppose even that without a berth would point to a satisfactory rebound. We lost a couple key playmakers on O and D, but we did have some depth at the most positions. The OL will be better and that may make a huge difference. LBs concern me though.

RootinFerDukes
February 27th, 2018, 10:25 AM
We're in a national championship or bust mode right now and that's exactly how it should be.

RootinFerDukes
February 27th, 2018, 10:27 AM
Winning a national championship. I'm not kidding when I say that 2016 felt like a huge failure of a year when we lost in the semifinals. We beat FBS #11 Iowa and the year was a throw away. Our perspectives, or at least mine, are completely warped.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Welcome to how every other team in FCS feels each off season.

TheKingpin28
February 27th, 2018, 10:39 AM
As long as it’s not Mich Light.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/25/255d775885092430cb726cbe8549b2cd4b93a63e0c48062aa2 1aebb567eae751.jpg

The Boogie Down
February 27th, 2018, 11:05 AM
6-5 or 7-4 (including and starting off with an FBS win @ Charlotte) would be enough to wipe away the stench left behind by Li'l Andy Breiner and get Fordham back on track.

RichH2
February 27th, 2018, 11:06 AM
For Lehigh.....

A legit 7-4/8-3 record because the defense rose to a respectable level. I doubt Lehigh 3-peats as PL Champs. Still, an 8-3 season given the Mountain Hawk's schedule would put them in the hunt for an at-large bid/Top 25 ranking.

7-4 would be a success. If D can hold opponents under 300 yds rushing and 28 pts a game , 8-3 at least would be great. With a decent D, a 3 repeat is possible albeit unlikely.

RootinFerDukes
February 27th, 2018, 11:08 AM

D-D-Defense. D-D-Defense!

RootinFerDukes
February 27th, 2018, 11:13 AM

It'll all hang on our new starting QB and is he as good of a passer as Schor. We lost some of our defensive backfield too, d-line etc. Our O-line should be much improved as we only lost one senior and many younger players were thrown to the fire. That'll only help them improve moving forward.

RootinFerDukes
February 27th, 2018, 11:17 AM
SHSU - make the playoffs...win a couple of playoff games....lose in a respectable fashion.

We can dream, can't we?

So only a slight blowout of, say 28 points? instead of the usual 7 TDs?

kdinva
February 27th, 2018, 11:27 AM
5-6 in Lexington........

VandalBasher
February 27th, 2018, 11:43 AM
For Idaho, it would be success for the Vandals to make the playoffs. Based upon the results of 2017, according to Massey and Sagarin, the Vandals would be around 5th or 6th in the Big Sky Conference. Making the playoffs will be a stretch. Therefore 6-5 (5-3, 1-2 OOC) will have to do for now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 27th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Win the Valley and win the National Championship.

The '18 Bison have the potential to be even better than this year's team. They will be loaded on both sides of the ball. MLB will be interesting. Can Marlette recover from his torn ACL to replace DeLuca? Offense is loaded. Go to WR needs to step up. Watson??

RB will be insanely loaded/talented. Will 1 or 2 transfer?

OL will reload. Radunz is back with a couple of young guys that are very talented that will push to start.

Find a punter....

Run at 15-0 this year.

My goal is to make every game this year!!

Outsider1
February 27th, 2018, 04:57 PM
My big goal is to finish .500 or above, although that is a big leap for us. It is still reachable by next year depending on how Spring and Summer goes.

frozennorth
February 27th, 2018, 08:07 PM
I think for NDSU the bar this year should be 15-0. Should be a top 5 team all time.

UND 8-5
SDSU 9-4
USD 7-6

Lion1983
February 27th, 2018, 08:27 PM
A 10-1 season with a loss to NDSU would be awesome. 9-2 is more realistic, 8-3 would be okay, 7-3 would be a disappointing start to FCS for UNA.

Lion1983
February 27th, 2018, 08:28 PM
My big goal is to finish .500 or above, although that is a big leap for us. It is still reachable by next year depending on how Spring and Summer goes.

Y'all got a great coach, y all should see big improvements this year.

JALMOND
February 27th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Beating Montana, EWU and Oregon. Actually, two out of three ain't bad.

Actually, starting the year win wins over both Montana State (home) and Montana (away) would set the foundation for a good year.

VandalBasher
February 27th, 2018, 08:33 PM
A 10-1 season with a loss to NDSU would be awesome. 9-2 is more realistic, 8-3 would be okay, 7-3 would be a disappointing start to FCS for UNA.

Actually, that is a nice schedule for UNA.

http://www.roarlions.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

katss07
February 27th, 2018, 09:01 PM
8-3 seems realistic for UNA. A few big games like SUU and NDSU. Good to see them scheduling tough opponents.

katss07
February 27th, 2018, 09:09 PM
So do I, we need a cupcake before the championship game.
Ouch. Next time we come to Fargo we will be stronger (at least I hope). Don’t expect to see us in the semis next year. But I guess that is what everyone says about us every year. 11. 12. 14. 15. 17. Keep doubting.

But maybe you guys want a different cupcake this year? How about a cockcake...

Tuna85
February 27th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Transition Year so no Natty and no Conference Champs: Sweep the 5 home games (all D2) plus split the 6 away games (all FCS) for an 8-3 record would be a success. 10-0, needless to say, would be perfectly successful and over the top considering a couple of the teams on our schedule. Hey, nothing ventured nothing gained.

mtjack
February 27th, 2018, 11:50 PM
1. NAU not going 0-3 in November.

2. If NAU makes the playoffs, how about not laying another steaming turd on the Skydome turf?

3. NAU not getting smoked by SUU for the umpteenth year in a row.

I fear none of these three things will occur.

JSUSoutherner
February 28th, 2018, 12:01 AM
Ouch. Next time we come to Fargo we will be stronger (at least I hope). Don’t expect to see us in the semis next year. But I guess that is what everyone says about us every year. 11. 12. 14. 15. 17. Keep doubting.

Why would South Carolina play them?

Thumper 76
February 28th, 2018, 03:15 AM
8+ wins in the regular season. Zero home losses. Two home playoff games with more than ten people in attendance. Not having ten turnovers in one game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ASU33
February 28th, 2018, 06:59 AM
Last year our team was never the same week in and week out. One week we go nose to nose with Kennesaw State and the next we get our doors blown off by Prairie View at home. The last few years have been rough offensively. If we can get that improved a successful season would have us winning the Eastern division of the SWAC.

UNHWildcat18
February 28th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Last year our team was never the same week in and week out. One week we go nose to nose with Kennesaw State and the next we get our doors blown off by Prairie View at home. The last few years have been rough offensively. If we can get that improved a successful season would have us winning the Eastern division of the SWAC.

One thing I truly have not understood, you guys have one of the best football stadiums in the FCS, yet not to be mean but ASU has been garbage for the last what 8-10 years?

Sammy94
February 28th, 2018, 08:16 AM
As a midwesterner in B10 and MVFC territory, I love defense. But watching a run ‘n gun offense like yours, Baylor, Oklahoma can be absolutely awesome. I hope you make it back to Fargo for a selifinal.

Our offense is changing a bit, look for the Kats to run the clock a bit more on offense in 2018.

POD Knows
February 28th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Win the Valley and win the National Championship.

The '18 Bison have the potential to be even better than this year's team. They will be loaded on both sides of the ball. MLB will be interesting. Can Marlette recover from his torn ACL to replace DeLuca? Offense is loaded. Go to WR needs to step up. Watson??

RB will be insanely loaded/talented. Will 1 or 2 transfer?

OL will reload. Radunz is back with a couple of young guys that are very talented that will push to start.

Find a punter....

Run at 15-0 this year.

My goal is to make every game this year!!Yea, we only have 4 road games this year, hopefully.

POD Knows
February 28th, 2018, 08:23 AM

But maybe you guys want a different cupcake this year? How about a cockcake...Yea, that would be fun smacking those guys around in Fargo.

Outsider1
February 28th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Y'all got a great coach, y all should see big improvements this year.

Very true, but it is only his 2nd year and 1st full recruiting season where he is better able to put his plan into action. Even though he recruited last year, it was last minute and rushed. He had a hard time with the players transitioning to the different style of play. Even he knows it will take a couple of years to really get the players and team where he wants them. I think we will see big improvements, but am being on the conservative side of predictions until the season really starts showing what we are actually able to do. We were so short with scholarships when transitioning, so it is taking a bit to really build the depth we need to go deep into the season.

WeAreThePride
February 28th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Our offense is changing a bit, look for the Kats to run the clock a bit more on offense in 2018.
What is the opinion of the QB replacing Briscoe? He's a tremendous talent, so it makes sense the offense would have to change a bit to compensate for his loss.

Lion1983
February 28th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Transition Year so no Natty and no Conference Champs: Sweep the 5 home games (all D2) plus split the 6 away games (all FCS) for an 8-3 record would be a success. 10-0, needless to say, would be perfectly successful and over the top considering a couple of the teams on our schedule. Hey, nothing ventured nothing gained.

The West Florida game concerns me. They should be better than last year. At least we have them at home.

We should drop NDSU
Hope we can surprise Southern Utah

The rest seems like it will be managed fairly well.
That's my 8-3 mark.

Could be 9-2.

If Southern Utah looks at us like a cupcake, 10-1

RootinFerDukes
February 28th, 2018, 09:54 AM

I initially thought, woah woah woah hold your unrealistic horses. Then I saw your schedule and realized that only two teams are remotely challenging, so 9-2 or 8-3 is probably realistic. With that schedule, you're right, only 7 wins would be a disaster. You need to beat every non-FCS team you're playing and probably convincingly.

It'll be interesting to see how you immediately match up against the Alabama A&Ms and Jackson States. Campbell and IW should be easy wins, despite being FCS. They're bottom of the barrel.

RootinFerDukes
February 28th, 2018, 10:02 AM
8+ wins in the regular season. Zero home losses. Two home playoff games with more than ten people in attendance. Not having ten turnovers in one game.

Sorry about that. Those boys will feast if you let them.

PaladinFan
February 28th, 2018, 10:05 AM
I initially thought, woah woah woah hold your unrealistic horses. Then I saw your schedule and realized that only two teams are remotely challenging, so 9-2 or 8-3 is probably realistic. With that schedule, you're right, only 7 wins would be a disaster. You need to beat every non-FCS team you're playing and probably convincingly.

It'll be interesting to see how you immediately match up against the Alabama A&Ms and Jackson States. Campbell and IW should be easy wins, despite being FCS. They're bottom of the barrel.

Not so sure. West Florida played in the D2 national title game last year and beat UNA like a drum en route. They won't be a cake walk. Campbell was a respectable Pioneer League team and will be moving to the Big South.

North Greenville is typically a strong D2 program who lost by 4 to Kennesaw State last season. NGU also lost by 3 last year to West Albama, who won the Gulf South.

So, it is a favorable schedule, but for a transitioning team there are going to be some plucky opponents.

JSUSoutherner
February 28th, 2018, 10:11 AM

Even once they go full FCS they’ll probably have an 8+ win record as long as their new coach can keep the train rolling. Even as a D2 team they played at a higher level than most of the FCS. That and outside of KSU the Big South blows.

AmsterBison
February 28th, 2018, 10:13 AM

Assuming you mean Jackonsville State. Well, they'd need to win their first-round game for that to happen... based on the last four seasons, there's only a 25% chance of that happening.

Successful season for me: Enjoying every game.

JSUSoutherner
February 28th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Assuming you mean Jackonsville State. Well, they'd need to win their first-round game for that to happen... based on the last four seasons, there's only a 25% chance of that happening.

Successful season for me: Enjoying every game.
In the past 10 years we’re undefeated in the first round. It’s those second rounders that snag us.

Mattymc727
February 28th, 2018, 10:42 AM
I think 9-2 and reaching the semis would be a great year for UNH. This is the year we had been waiting for after 2014 ended, because that's when most of us estimated it would be an upper classmen laden team. We certainly have a favorable schedule CAA wise, with only 3 flights.

I'm really hoping x's and o's wise we can get the oline/run game going and get the offense back to 2014 form or so, a big senior year for Trevor Knight....A new OC may throw a wrench into that.

UNH should have a really stout defense.

ASU33
February 28th, 2018, 10:57 AM
One thing I truly have not understood, you guys have one of the best football stadiums in the FCS, yet not to be mean but ASU has been garbage for the last what 8-10 years?

Welcome to the club. We have some of the best facilities in all of FCS and we've racked up 5 straight conference commissioner's cups. Every sport has brought in conference titles outside of football. We've had this issue for a while unfortunately. We only have 3 conference titles in football since 1982(1982, 1991, and 2004). It's always been baffling to folks familiar with our program. Coach Barlow had us with 8 wins yearly from 2010-2014 but he couldn't consistently beat Alabama A&M and Tuskegee and he would have the occasional late season slip to someone we should beat which would cost us a conference title game berth. We fired him and go a "Sure thing" from Bethune-Cookman in Brian Jenkins and we dropped from 7-8 wins to 5-6 wins. Moe he's out and we hired one of his assistants which was a lazy hire considering the guys who applied for the job. Hopefully this works out or our program will certainly fall behind.

AmsterBison
February 28th, 2018, 10:59 AM
In the past 10 years we’re undefeated in the first round. It’s those second rounders that snag us.

D'oh. Yeah. I guess I was so busy holding that grudge for the 1989 game that I couldn't bother getting my facts straight.

Sammy94
February 28th, 2018, 11:21 AM
What is the opinion of the QB replacing Briscoe? He's a tremendous talent, so it makes sense the offense would have to change a bit to compensate for his loss.

New QB will most likely be this guy
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2017/12/mike_dare_former_rutgers_qb_commits_to_new_school_ 1.html

But the offense change is something the new OC and Keeler want to do.
http://www.itemonline.com/sports/sam_houston_state_university_bearkats/bearkats-hire-new-hampshire-oc-carty-for-same-role/article_a97aa90e-920e-5d30-9c9d-7c5c30d8a4a3.html

BadlandsGrizFan
February 28th, 2018, 11:27 AM
Win the Big Sky.

bobcathpdevil56
February 28th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Win the Big Sky.

I would consider this season a success if the Brawl of the Wild was for the Conference Championship.

Lion1983
February 28th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Even once they go full FCS they’ll probably have an 8+ win record as long as their new coach can keep the train rolling. Even as a D2 team they played at a higher level than most of the FCS. That and outside of KSU the Big South blows.

We had so many freak injuries last season, +new head coach, and one of the toughest schedules I have ever witnessed a D2 school go through. Had to use our best WR a few times at QB. And was still getting consideration to make the playoffs dispite having the worst records in seems like ever.

But, it is what it is.

UNHWildcat18
February 28th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I think 9-2 and reaching the semis would be a great year for UNH. This is the year we had been waiting for after 2014 ended, because that's when most of us estimated it would be an upper classmen laden team. We certainly have a favorable schedule CAA wise, with only 3 flights.

I'm really hoping x's and o's wise we can get the oline/run game going and get the offense back to 2014 form or so, a big senior year for Trevor Knight....A new OC may throw a wrench into that.

I think if UNH didn't lose the players due to off field stuff that we have the last two years, we'd be in good shape to be where you predicted. Currently I'm not sure if our OL WR and QB situation will get us there.

Tuna85
February 28th, 2018, 11:42 AM
The West Florida game concerns me. They should be better than last year. At least we have them at home.

We should drop NDSU
Hope we can surprise Southern Utah

The rest seems like it will be managed fairly well.
That's my 8-3 mark.

Could be 9-2.

If Southern Utah looks at us like a cupcake, 10-1

Yeah, West Florida concerns me also. They've definitely got game and it didn't take them long to get it. I can see them making the move to FCS in short order. Would like a sweep at home but, they are the team that could mess that up.

I honestly think 8-3. Would not be surprised if West was one of the 3. Making the move to FCS, I would hate losing to a D2. Figured NDSU and Southern Utah would be tough. Also a bit of a learning curve and the vagaries of being on the road for all FCS games might cost UNA a game.

It's a good schedule to start with..definitely has some salt in it. 2019 schedule looks to be shaping up as a good one also.

Serpentor
February 28th, 2018, 12:11 PM

From what I understand, moving away from pocket passer to a more mobile quarterback.

Serpentor
February 28th, 2018, 12:14 PM
D-D-Defense. D-D-Defense!

What is this alien concept you speak of? Is that what teams do when they're not trying to score points?

clenz
February 28th, 2018, 12:59 PM
A full schedule of 11 games.

Thumper 76
February 28th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Sorry about that. Those boys will feast if you let them.
Yeah, that was brutal. Don’t get me wrong kudos to JMUs defense, but that was just an off day by TC. The dude went 23/33 for 329 yds and 2 tds plus 1 td rushing vs a similarly great bison defense. And I think we learned that both those defenses were pretty close to the same level of good. JMU was absolutely the better team, I just don’t think it was ten turnovers and a million points better.

From what I understand, moving away from pocket passer to a more mobile quarterback.

That’s been the secret ingredient to SDSU beating the bison. A mobile qb who looks to throw first and second before running.

centraljerseycat
February 28th, 2018, 01:23 PM
For Villanona...win 8 games , make the playoffs , don't get embarrassed by Temple and of course win the Annual Blue Hen Beat Down would make for a successful 2018 season.

JSUSoutherner
February 28th, 2018, 01:25 PM
A full schedule of 11 games.

We don’t even have that currently.

Go...gate
February 28th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I would be very happy with a 7-4 record given Colgate's schedule. 6-5 seems more likely.

cx500d
February 28th, 2018, 06:40 PM
For Villanona...win 8 games , make the playoffs , don't get embarrassed by Temple and of course win the Annual Blue Hen Beat Down would make for a successful 2018 season.

I heard Delaware may have already forfeited their next game with Villanova since it appears to be a waste of time for them.

TheKingpin28
February 28th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I heard Delaware may have already forfeited their next game with Villanova since it appears to be a waste of time for them.

So is Delaware dangerous?

cx500d
February 28th, 2018, 09:14 PM
So is Delaware dangerous?

not to villanova

srgrizizen
February 28th, 2018, 10:59 PM
8-3, beat the Cats, win a 1st round playoff game at home.

Sader87
February 28th, 2018, 11:17 PM
BEAT BC!!!! xdrunkyx

R3TRO
March 1st, 2018, 02:19 PM

This post almost seems optimistic. Are you feeling alright?

Silenoz
March 1st, 2018, 04:08 PM
0 murdered quarterbacks

Failing that, not having to rock a receiver out of the wildcat for a whole game would be a start

DeltaDevil662
March 1st, 2018, 04:13 PM
3-4 wins.
A 500 yard rusher.
Finish the season with positive rushing yards.
Both WRs finish 1st team All-SWAC.

Silenoz
March 1st, 2018, 04:15 PM

Oh snap, I forgot about that. A reminder that things can always be worse

DeltaDevil662
March 1st, 2018, 04:20 PM
Oh snap, I forgot about that. A reminder that things can always be worse

I haven't and Coach Dancy hasn't either so he made it his top priority this recruiting season with JUCO linemen and talented RBs so that our QBs aren't taking 5-6 sacks a game

ASU33
March 1st, 2018, 04:27 PM
3-4 wins.
A 500 yard rusher.
Both WRs finish 1st team All-SWAC.

3-4 wins and Dancy just might be coach of the year

IBleedYellow
March 1st, 2018, 04:37 PM
Is this a team that rivals 2013? Serious question? IMO, on paper, that defense should be better than 2013.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkThe 2017 team and the 2013 are almost identical in stats.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

clenz
March 1st, 2018, 04:57 PM
We don’t even have that currently.

Not do we. It’s why it’s what is consider a success.

Iridebikes
March 2nd, 2018, 04:15 PM
For EWU it always starts with the Big Sky title, after that a seed would be nice and a couple of playoff wins.

JSUSoutherner
March 2nd, 2018, 04:52 PM
Not do we. It’s why it’s what is consider a success.

You guys got an open date in September? xlolx

clenz
March 2nd, 2018, 05:01 PM
Not for a road game.

JSUSoutherner
March 2nd, 2018, 06:11 PM
Not for a road game.

Lame.

Corn_3024
March 3rd, 2018, 07:11 AM
For Kennesaw State- Prove last season wasn't a fluke. Win the Big South and make it to the second round of the playoffs are the minimums for a great season.

Lion1983
March 3rd, 2018, 08:14 AM
For Kennesaw State- Prove last season wasn't a fluke. Win the Big South and make it to the second round of the playoffs are the minimums for a great season.

Better win the Big South while you still can.........

DEX
March 3rd, 2018, 01:13 PM
11-0 or 10-1. Celebration Bowl win and respectable national ranking.

JSUSoutherner
March 3rd, 2018, 01:16 PM
Better win the Big South while you still can.........
Let’s wait until we figure out if you suck before you start the smack. I’m sure you’re familiar with how our D1 transition worked out for us and we were hot stuff in D2 too.

Lion1983
March 3rd, 2018, 02:16 PM
Let’s wait until we figure out if you suck before you start the smack. I’m sure you’re familiar with how our D1 transition worked out for us and we were hot stuff in D2 too.

I will still talk smack, even if we suck.

JSUSoutherner
March 3rd, 2018, 02:30 PM
Fair.

Tuna85
March 3rd, 2018, 04:11 PM

Yeah, now that's what I'm talking 'bout. Some good ole UNA/JSU brotherly love. Sniff....been a long time!

Ivytalk
March 3rd, 2018, 09:24 PM
For Harvard: much better QB play, win the Big 3, and an 8-2 record.

BisonFan02
March 3rd, 2018, 11:10 PM

Congrats tUNAmocks.

Ursus, can I have my banner back? xlolx

TheKingpin28
March 4th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Congrats tUNAmocks.

Ursus, can I have my banner back? xlolx

As soon as POD gets his #OnTheGrains banner. xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 4th, 2018, 12:36 PM
As soon as POD gets his #OnTheGrains banner. xthumbsupx

What is a successful season for the clowns 70 miles north of Fargo?

5-6 would be a good season for them.

TheKingpin28
March 4th, 2018, 12:59 PM
What is a successful season for the clowns 70 miles north of Fargo?

5-6 would be a good season for them.

Getting out of the weightroom finally and not blowing their entire wad against that vaunted SHSU offense.

That said, I see the following:

4 winnable games: MVSU, UNC, PSU, ISUo
2 toss-up games: SacSt and NAU
2 unlikely games: UM and ID
2 improbable games: SHSU and WSU
1 not a chance in hell game: U-Dubya

So all together, 5-6 is a probability but 6-5 is not out of the question and 7-4 is unlikely.

CHIP72
March 5th, 2018, 09:49 PM
For me personally (some of these items are semi-OT relative to FCS/DI-AA football):

1) Having the Saturday 9/15 Temple/Maryland and Lehigh/Navy games scheduled at least 4 hours apart so I can attend both games, or even better yet, have one of the games (preferably Temple/Maryland) move to Friday 9/14. (If neither of those things happen, I hope they are both played at 12 PM ET so I can attend the Orioles game in Baltimore that night at 7 PM.)

2) Having the girlfriend not have a problem with me attending all the games (NFL and college) I want to attend. A bonus would be if she attended some of those games with me (which I think she'll be willing to do.)

3) Having the Saturday 9/22 Lehigh/Penn and Bucknell/Villanova games scheduled at least 4 hours apart so I can attend both games.

4) Having the Philadelphia Eagles play a game that IS televised in the DC area, or at the very least is played in Philadelphia, DC, or maybe north Jersey on Sunday 9/16 or Monday 9/17 (the same weekend as the Temple/Maryland and Lehigh/Navy games), Sunday 10/14 or Monday 10/15 (the same weekend as the Temple/Navy game), and Sunday 10/21 or Monday 10/22 (the same weekend as the Lehigh/Georgetown game).

5) Having the teams I root for win all or most games of the games I attend.

6) Having Lehigh win the Patriot League, make the DI-AA playoffs, and win at least one game. (Bonus: I'm able to attend a Lehigh playoff game.)

7) Having Lafayette finish with a better than .500 record.

8) Having Penn win the Ivy League, preferably outright.

9) Having Villanova make the DI-AA playoffs and win at least one game. (Bonus: I'm able to attend a Villanova playoff game.)

Bonus - non-FCS/DI-AA "successes" (not comprehensive football list):

10) Having most Philadelphia Eagles games televised in the DC area. For the ones that are not, having the Eagles' home games scheduled the day after a Temple (or possibly Penn or Villanova) home game, and having the Eagles' road game at Tennessee or New Orleans scheduled the weekend of 11/9 & 11/10 (when at this point I'll most likely be visiting my brother at Mississippi State and hope to attend the Mississippi State/Alabama game in Tuscaloosa on Saturday 11/9).

11) Having the aforementioned Saturday 11/9 Mississippi State/Alabama game scheduled at least 5 hours apart from the Southern Mississippi/Alabama-Birmingham game taking place in Birmingham the same day so I can attend both games.

clenz
March 5th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Oh...also having a full coaching staff.

Hired a new OL coach.
Still need a DB coach.

Better position than last year on that front though

JSUSoutherner
March 5th, 2018, 11:34 PM

Hired a new OL coach.
Still need a DB coach.

Please. We don’t even know who our DC is yet.

Howlingyote
March 7th, 2018, 10:46 AM
USD:
- Prove we are a playoff team w/o Strevler
- Win 7 games, make playoffs
- Split rough road non-conference games (Kansas State & Weber)

katss07
March 7th, 2018, 06:04 PM
USD:
I will definitely be cheering you guys to be the best Dakota team next year, but the Yotes are not close to what they were last year. Strev was unbelievable, even despite the collapse over the final 4 games.

SCPALADIN
March 8th, 2018, 07:54 AM
A 14th Southern Conference Championship.

neverobeyed
March 8th, 2018, 11:28 AM

Hired a new OL coach.
Still need a DB coach.

It's early. Lots of time for coaching shuffle between now and September at UNI. And a new offensive scheme sometime in July.

F'N Hawks
March 8th, 2018, 01:06 PM
UND to go 7-4 and make the playoffs. Most likely means they go 6-2 in Big Sky, though. Not beating Washington and would take a monumental effort to win in Huntsville.

CenMEBlackBearFan
March 9th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Opening at home with UNH then two FBS games w/ W.Kentucky and Central Michigan and then traveling to Yale is a brutal way to start the year, not to mention only 4 homes. Makes the pressure to finally beat UNH even more necessary than ever. Knowing we lost last yr cause of a missed xtra point put us right with our nieghbors. Experienced defense with 2nd yr QB and skilled WR just no RB's after losing Josh Mack does leave that as a question mark.
Anywho back to the original question a 7-4 record with a playoff victory would be a very successful record!!!

NY Crusader 2010
March 12th, 2018, 06:48 PM
On paper, Holy Cross will have six losses before the calendar even flips to November (@ Colgate, @ BC, Yale, @UNH, @ Harvard, Lehigh). A winning record in Bob Chesney's first year will likely require a Herculean effort and fast-track improvement versus 2017.

Seawolf97
March 12th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I would like to see us go 8-3 and return to the paly offs for a second year in a row. We return Carbone as the Senior QB still have Gowins and Liontine at RB plus afreshman who may play right away . Our schedule has 5 home games against some of the best in he CAA -Home - Delaware , Richmond , Villanova and Rhode Island , away at UNH , Albany, Towson and James Madison . So we will see . We open 9/1 against Air Force.

mmiller_34
March 12th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Being able to get coach Stig to the stadium safely.

lionsrking2
March 13th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Given our returning talent level, the bar is 8-3 and a playoff berth. We have a new coaching staff, so it'll be interesting to see how the new coaches and players adapt to one another. We do return our OL and DL coaches to help ease the transition, plus our OC from 2013 is back after a stint at Eastern Illinois. We could be really good or scuffle with new schemes and the meshing of personalities. We'll get a good idea starting today as spring practice gets underway.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 14th, 2018, 04:26 PM
USD:

Going to be tough for USD this year to get to 7-4. K State and Weber will be difficult OOC games. Streveler was all-world for the Coyotes, it will be interesting how the next QB will do.

JacksFan40
March 15th, 2018, 10:05 AM
In my opinion for SDSU, we need to win a title or it’s a failure and Steig needs to leave then. I’m tired of the talent we have underperforming in the big games. JMU in the semis was the worst game in program history honestly. NDSU in the Quarters 2 years ago was horrendous.

RootinFerDukes
March 15th, 2018, 10:57 AM
In my opinion for SDSU, we need to win a title or it’s a failure and Steig needs to leave then. I’m tired of the talent we have underperforming in the big games. JMU in the semis was the worst game in program history honestly. NDSU in the Quarters 2 years ago was horrendous.

Winning a title or bust when you’ve never made it past the semis? Wasn’t 2017 SDSU’s deepest season to date?
You all are improving but the expectation that a title is the minimum qualification applies to only ndsu right now.

Bison Fan in NW MN
March 15th, 2018, 12:11 PM

Get a top 2 seed. Good goal for SDSU.

Thumper 76
March 15th, 2018, 01:14 PM

Stig needs to leave? Wow, dude, that’s a lot. We’ve gotten better season after better season, this is just way out there. Don’t worry, Stig likely retires sometime in the near future anyways and you can be happy then I guess. Good grief.

JacksFan40
March 15th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Stig needs to leave? Wow, dude, that’s a lot. We’ve gotten better season after better season, this is just way out there. Don’t worry, Stig likely retires sometime in the near future anyways and you can be happy then I guess. Good grief.

I just don’t know if he can get us to the next level, he’s never won the big games it seems like, he’s a heck of a guy and he’s done an outstanding job with the Jacks, he brought us from D2 to FCS. Maybe I’m overreacting I don’t know, I just know some fans I know want him gone.

Thumper 76
March 15th, 2018, 01:48 PM
I just don’t know if he can get us to the next level, he’s never won the big games it seems like, he’s a heck of a guy and he’s done an outstanding job with the Jacks, he brought us from D2 to FCS. Maybe I’m overreacting I don’t know, I just know some fans I know want him gone.

I think that a lot of that is the ndsu affect. He’s taken a team that in D2 made the playoffs once. Ever. Then he made it a perennial FCS power that just went to the semi finals.

I’ll be honest, the reason that Jacks fans feel that way IMHO is due to a couple reasons. First it’s incredibly frustrating to lose at your biggest rival in the playoffs multiple times, and equally frustrating to lose in the semis the way we did. Add in the fact that we tend to have a head scratching loss every year people tend to lose sight of just how good the program is overall. I think nationally SDSU has the second or third longest streak of being ranked in the top 25, doubled the average attendance in ten years, and just went to the semi finals. Second, and this goes hand in hand with the growing fanbase, is we have a lot of “new” fans to FCS football that don’t have very good knowledge of the FCS. They see ndsu on their unprecedented run and just expect to knock them off and take their place without a deeper understanding of just how hard a natty is to get. A lot of Jacks fans I know don’t know what the difference is between the Pioneer league, the NEC, and the CAA. It’s part of growing as a fanbase and we will get there, but when you are growing the fanbase with unprecedented success for the program, some people are going to have over the top expectations. That’s just my $.02 though. Wanting to force out the most successful coach we’ve ever had because of coming up short in our most successful season ever is a bit shortsighted and emotional to me, especially when he is getting towards the end of his career. Outside of the recent events he has done more than enough with this program to decide how he goes out. Also don’t forget that getting a new coach likely will cost a decent amount more $ while the athletic department is still working on implementing full FCOA and remodeling Frost, without bumping up student fees unlike a certain school to the south.

POD Knows
March 15th, 2018, 01:55 PM
I think that a lot of that is the ndsu affect. He’s taken a team that in D2 made the playoffs once. Ever. Then he made it a perennial FCS power that just went to the semi finals.

I’ll be honest, the reason that Jacks fans feel that way IMHO is due to a couple reasons. First it’s incredibly frustrating to lose at your biggest rival in the playoffs multiple times, and equally frustrating to lose in the semis the way we did. Add in the fact that we tend to have a head scratching loss every year people tend to lose sight of just how good the program is overall. I think nationally SDSU has the second or third longest streak of being ranked in the top 25, doubled the average attendance in ten years, and just went to the semi finals. Second, and this goes hand in hand with the growing fanbase, is we have a lot of “new” fans to FCS football that don’t have very good knowledge of the FCS. They see ndsu on their unprecedented run and just expect to knock them off and take their place without a deeper understanding of just how hard a natty is to get. A lot of Jacks fans I know don’t know what the difference is between the Pioneer league, the NEC, and the CAA. It’s part of growing as a fanbase and we will get there, but when you are growing the fanbase with unprecedented success for the program, some people are going to have over the top expectations. That’s just my $.02 though. Wanting to force out the most successful coach we’ve ever had because of coming up short in our most successful season ever is a bit shortsighted and emotional to me, especially when he is getting towards the end of his career. Outside of the recent events he has done more than enough with this program to decide how he goes out. Also don’t forget that getting a new coach likely will cost a decent amount more $ while the athletic department is still working on implementing full FCOA and remodeling Frost, without bumping up student fees unlike a certain school to the south.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPlus he is good at trick plays.

youcanbankit
March 17th, 2018, 12:12 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27251&stc=1

Top 10 finish in the nation for Samford and Top 20 for Furman, Western Carolina, with UTC and ETSU making the top 30.

DFW HOYA
March 17th, 2018, 07:52 PM
A measure of success for Georgetown? A loaded question.

On a first pass, 2018 appears grim. The Hoyas lose 26 seniors and much of its offense from a 1-10 team with 18 losses in its last 19. It cannot recruit the depth of talent necessary to contend in the Patriot League or anywhere for that matter. It will be favored in just one game this upcoming season, a non-conference game with Marist.

Yet, the team always plays hard and rarely is blown out. The problem is that if three wins is judged a success, what does that mean? Conversely, an winning season has happened exactly once in the last 19 years and there is no path to that in 2018.

kperk014
March 17th, 2018, 11:24 PM
Not so sure. West Florida played in the D2 national title game last year and beat UNA like a drum en route. They won't be a cake walk. Campbell was a respectable Pioneer League team and will be moving to the Big South.

North Greenville is typically a strong D2 program who lost by 4 to Kennesaw State last season. NGU also lost by 3 last year to West Albama, who won the Gulf South.

So, it is a favorable schedule, but for a transitioning team there are going to be some plucky opponents.

I'm hoping last season was an aberration. We badly outplayed the eventual D2 National Champs in game 1 but missed an incredible FOUR field goals, one of which was a chip shot and lost by one point. In the second game against Valdosta State, our promising 6-5 sophomore QB had the offense clicking but suffered a severe back injury in the 2nd quarter and was done for the year and so was our offense. For good measure we also lost our 2nd and 3rd string QBs as well. Our All America wide receiver ended up playing QB quite a bit just so he could get his hands on the ball. Hopefully that will NEVER happen again.