PDA

View Full Version : Howard to Name Bailey as HC

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
Carey Bailey will be announced Howard Univ's new football coach next Monday. The Bison did not renew the contract of Ray Petty after this past football season. Bailey has coaching experience at VMI, West Virginia, Middle Tennessee St and Louisiana-Lafayette...

Best of luck, Bison!
------------
Mitch Vingle
# State provides Howard coach; hoops recruiting

WEST VIRGINIA has produced some of the nation’s finest head football coaches.

Consider the field. You can start with contemporaries like Rich Rodriguez and Nick Saban and work your way back to Terry Bowden and Bob Pruett to John McKay, Ben Schwartzwalder and Fielding Yost.

And now another Mountain State native has an opportunity to carve a place among the greats. Morgantown native Carey Bailey has accepted the head coaching position at Howard University. (Consider this a scoop for his home state. The formal announcement is expected to come on Monday.)

In case you’ve forgotten, Bailey was a standout for Morgantown High who went on to play for Tennessee. He played in four bowls there, including the 1990 Cotton, ‘91 Sugar and ‘92 Fiesta Bowl.

Afterward, Bailey started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at WVU. That, however, was only a start. He worked with current Mountaineer assistant Bill Stewart at VMI. He moved to Louisiana-Lafayette and Middle Tennessee State.

http://wvgazette.com/section/Sports/2007022053

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM
Wonder why it took Howard so long to name its coach? Seems like the Bison wasted a recruiting cycle by doing that. Personally, I thought that Ray Petty was making some progress this year with the program. I remember Bailey's name from his days on Bill Stewart's staff at VMI. The Keydets were making some strides in those days before Stewart got dismissed for some racial remarks he made (personally, I thought VMI made a mistake by firing him, instead of disciplining him and offering some forgiveness). It will be interesting to see how Bailey does at Howard, particularly now that the administration has set the program back a couple of years at least.