PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Scheduling note from ISUr to ETSU, MVSU, Hampton, and MEAC

Redbird 4th & short
February 20th, 2018, 09:42 PM
We need to replace our NAIA game against St Xavier on 9/1/18. We also have a bye date on 9/15/18. If you are any of the teams listed above, including all MEAC teams who are trying to replace a Hampton game ... Call our AD Larry Lyons asap !!!!!!!!

[email protected]

309-438-3636

This is 100% serious .. we need out of that NAIA game.

dgtw
February 20th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Would you mind a visit to Jacksonville, Alabama?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
February 21st, 2018, 06:45 AM

Is our game still on?

dgtw
February 21st, 2018, 08:02 AM
Is our game still on?

As far as I know, it hasn’t been scheduled.

But even if you sign off on it, we still only have ten games. We play Kennesaw State at the Braves’ stadium in November. But we have nothing else scheduled outside our eight OVC games. We have an open date the first three Saturdays in September.

Redbird 4th & short
February 21st, 2018, 08:32 AM

Short answer .. I don't know, but he will have to listen to any reasonable offer.

Some background ... Many Redbird fans are pressuring our AD on Redbird forum and with email inquiries about why on earth we would schedule an NAIA team, knowing it will hurt our playoff chances in eyes of FCS selection committee. So I don't know if AD Lyons will or can find it in budget to buy out of our 9/1 home ST Xavier game and/or add a 12th game on road for our 9/15 bye week ... I know I would twist arms to point of breaking them if I were the AD to get another NCAA D-I game on our schedule.

Obvious point being, if we finish 7-4 with all D-I games (including and FBS loss in theory), we are practically a lock for playoffs. But if we finish 7-4 with NAIA win, then we are really 6-4 and suddently that exact same team is on the bubble, probably leaning the wrong way.

If any D-I team out ther has an open date for 9/1 or 9/15, please call ISUr AD Larry Lyons asap. But you'll need to make a fair offer or he will stay with current much cheaper situation. ISUr finances are in very good financial shape. But we have very limited football budget .. we took a hit last year .. a triple whammy ... 1) not getting an FBS payday game thanks to Barry Alvarez Big 10 nonsense, 2) then took further hit with just 5 home games, 3) then took further hit by having to fly to NAU on our dime instead of getting paid to take bus to FBS game. So AD is under budgetary pressure apparently this year.

But he is under pressure to replace the St Xavier game .. so he has to listen to any reasonable offer.

[email protected]

309-438-3636

DeltaDevil662
February 21st, 2018, 09:24 AM
Valley has North Dakota on 8/30 so that first game is out of the question.

I'll pass the info along concerning the September 15 date since we are looking for a home game (although we could also just get Hampton since they are looking for games)

Redbird 4th & short
February 21st, 2018, 09:59 AM
Valley has North Dakota on 8/30 so that first game is out of the question.

I'll pass the info along concerning the September 15 date since we are looking for a home game (although we could also just get Hampton since they are looking for games)

We've played you before .. 2014 I think. So if you have same AD now, he should already know Larry Lyons. Thanks for posting !!

p.s. I assume Hampton is mainly looking to drop MEAC games and replace with Big South game .. though I'm sure those planets will be near impossible to align this late in process. So if MEAC cancels all Hampton games, then you would be correct ... which is why my post included all MEAC teams.

But our only open dates are 9/15 and then 9/1 if we buy out NAIA ST Xavier game .. typically not time of year for in-conf games for most conferences. So that would probably have to be a bye week for those MEAC teams dropping Hampton .. to help us anyway.

Redbird 4th & short
February 21st, 2018, 10:11 AM

Just realized you are JSU fan ... checked your schedule and you already have 3 nonconf games .. so why do you still need a nonconf game ?

dgtw
February 21st, 2018, 12:08 PM
Just realized you are JSU fan ... checked your schedule and you already have 3 nonconf games .. so why do you still need a nonconf game ?

News to me. Where did you see this?

DeltaDevil662
February 21st, 2018, 04:00 PM
We've played you before .. 2014 I think. So if you have same AD now, he should already know Larry Lyons. Thanks for posting !!

Yes we have the same AD (Ford-Kee)

Redbird 4th & short
February 21st, 2018, 04:36 PM
News to me. Where did you see this?

that's what I get for doing this on my cell ... it was 2017 schedule .. so you have 3 open dates in Sept ?? Which dates ?

Like most teams, we always schedule 1 easy team, so not sure we would want a JSU having to play an FBS, EIU (usually decent and 100+ year old rivalry game), and then the MVFC gauntlet.

Would you guys come to Normal, IL ??

dgtw
February 21st, 2018, 06:39 PM
Our open dates are 9/1,9/8, and 9/15. We start conference play on 9/22. We play OVC games eight straight weeks then Kennesaw the last week of the season.

I don’t know if we’d do a road game. We only have four home games right now, the four league games. We play KSU in Atlanta and the Montgomery game.

But with no other choice, who knows?

Also, I don’t work for JSU and have no connections to the athletic program. But your guy can call our AD if he wants.

I can’t believe I am actually trying to arrange a game for us on a message board.

JSUSoutherner
February 21st, 2018, 06:44 PM
that's what I get for doing this on my cell ... it was 2017 schedule .. so you have 3 open dates in Sept ?? Which dates ?

Like most teams, we always schedule 1 easy team, so not sure we would want a JSU having to play an FBS, EIU (usually decent and 100+ year old rivalry game), and then the MVFC gauntlet.

Would you guys come to Normal, IL ??

Seems we can't get an FBS this year.

It'd have to be in Jacksonville. We only have 4 home games on our schedule. We do seem to like home and homes. The kickoff and the KSU game are neutral site games.

Please god someone set this up.

Redbird 4th & short
February 22nd, 2018, 09:39 AM
thanks for info DGTW and JSUSouth. I already posted link to this thread and the similar ETSU schedule thread and will post your info on our Redbird Forum thread, "St Xavier Game .. Dump It". It is a consensus among redbird fans. To be honest, JSU wouldn't be my top choice since we would be trading our 1 easy game for a perennial top 5 team ... but I would take the game in a second knowing we are running out of time. A competitive loss to JSU on road would be much better than a 70-3 NAIA win.

https://redbirdfan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=519&start=40

Thanks again !

dgtw
February 23rd, 2018, 11:08 AM
Seems we can't get an FBS this year.

It'd have to be in Jacksonville. We only have 4 home games on our schedule. We do seem to like home and homes. The kickoff and the KSU game are neutral site games.

Please god someone set this up.

We have Chattanooga and Eastern Washington at home next year. So maybe we could do a road game this year if they agreed to come here in 2019.

JSUSoutherner
February 23rd, 2018, 12:24 PM
We have Chattanooga and Eastern Washington at home next year. So maybe we could do a road game this year if they agreed to come here in 2019.

When’s KSU’s return game for us? Isn’t that technically a home and Home deal?

dgtw
February 23rd, 2018, 12:53 PM
When’s KSU’s return game for us? Isn’t that technically a home and Home deal?

That is TBA. We are playing at the Braves’ place because their stadium is too small.

JSUSoutherner
February 23rd, 2018, 01:21 PM
That is TBA. We are playing at the Braves’ place because their stadium is too small.

So we have two games in Suntrust?

dgtw
February 23rd, 2018, 04:14 PM
The second game of the series will be in Jacksonville. There just isn’t a date set yet.