PDA

View Full Version : Possible App opponents

gvilleapp
February 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Best guess appears that App has three open dates for two yet un-named ooc opponents. The dates appear to be Sept 28, Oct 6, and Oct 13.

Anybody out there know if your school still appears to be open for either one of those three dates?

My guess is we would try for at least one more home game to give us five for the year.

February 20th, 2007, 06:43 PM
So App St said no to Montana AND NDSU?

gvilleapp
February 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I don't know that we've said no to anybody. I think Montana's slate is full, but I would love to see the Apps and NDSU hook up for a home and home.

If not another BCS or NDSU, I hope we schedule an OVC, MEAC or A10 to play a game in our recruiting base and make it easier on those of us that travel to away games.

Saint3333
February 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM

ASU chose Michigan over NDSU for Sept. 1st. No brainer there, huge payout, much less risk.

Montana I'm not sure what happened, I don't think either AD REALLY wanted that game, hopefully we'll just see them in Nooga.

As for the remaining games with a little help for the NH guy's website here are my thoughts:

According to the site below there aren't many 1-AA/FCS schools who have openings. I know we're trying to get two home games if at all possible. http://travisliles.com/sports/fcs/20...7Schedules.xls

Our remaining open dates:

9/8

9/15

9/29 (likely Elon)

10/6 (G-Webb homecoming?)

10/13

One of these weeks will be a bye week.

From looking at this site I see 12 likely teams with common openings: Charleston Southern, Hampton, NC A&T, JSU, Samford, Murray State, Austin Peay, Tenn Tech, Davidson, McNeese St., NSU, and WKU.

I'd love to sign a home and home with JSU and/or McNeese.

But the "easier" games to get might be vs. Samford and WKU. Samford as they'll be in the SoCon soon and we could get a home and home with WKU as I'd imagine they're having a tough time filling out their schedule during this transition year. We could go there this year and have a "1-A team" come to our place in 2008.

gvilleapp
February 20th, 2007, 08:15 PM
ASU chose Michigan over NDSU for Sept. 1st. No brainer there, huge payout, much less risk.

Montana I'm not sure what happened, I don't think either AD REALLY wanted that game, hopefully we'll just see them in Nooga.

As for the remaining games with a little help for the NH guy's website here are my thoughts:

According to the site below there aren't many 1-AA/FCS schools who have openings. I know we're trying to get two home games if at all possible. http://travisliles.com/sports/fcs/20...7Schedules.xls

Our remaining open dates:

9/8

9/15

9/29 (likely Elon)

10/6 (G-Webb homecoming?)

10/13

One of these weeks will be a bye week.

From looking at this site I see 12 likely teams with common openings: Charleston Southern, Hampton, NC A&T, JSU, Samford, Murray State, Austin Peay, Tenn Tech, Davidson, McNeese St., NSU, and WKU.

I'd love to sign a home and home with JSU and/or McNeese.

But the "easier" games to get might be vs. Samford and WKU. Samford as they'll be in the SoCon soon and we could get a home and home with WKU as I'd imagine they're having a tough time filling out their schedule during this transition year. We could go there this year and have a "1-A team" come to our place in 2008.
Thanks for that link. That's interesting stuff.

Will I see you in Boone Thursday night?

appfan2008
February 20th, 2007, 10:15 PM
the link does not work!

pcguy09
February 20th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Presbyterian College has open dates for 8/28 and 9/15

Tod
February 20th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Presbyterian College has open dates for 8/28 and 9/15

DO IT!! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 12:56 AM
A game with Presbyterian would not count as a Division I game this season. Presbyterian is a transitional team. From what I've heard App State is attempting to secure two more home games. That is one of the reasons why the Mountaineers couldn't work something out with North Dakota State. Perhaps one of the games could be Samford, with the Bulldogs likely to be voted into the Southern Conference this spring.

February 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM
A game with Presbyterian would not count as a Division I game this season. Presbyterian is a transitional team. From what I've heard App State is attempting to secure two more home games. That is one of the reasons why the Mountaineers couldn't work something out with North Dakota State...NDSU said they wouldn't come to Boone in 2007? They count as a D-I game.

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 01:47 AM
NDSU said they wouldn't come to Boone in 2007? They count as a D-I game.
I said Presbyterian didn't count as a Division I game. The problem for North Dakota State and App State was making the game financially viable (something that wasn't going to happen). Both teams wanted a home game in 2007, though ASU was considering going to North Dakota State, if the Bison could pay enough to make the trip worthwhile.

February 21st, 2007, 02:20 AM
Both teams wanted a home game in 2007, though ASU was considering going to North Dakota State, if the Bison could pay enough to make the trip worthwhile.So you're saying ASU couldn't get enough of a guarantee from NDSU for 9/1 or 9/15 so they scheduled Michigan and G-Webb? Gotcha.

Keeper
February 21st, 2007, 02:28 AM
There's still a few FBSers with an opening
waiting to get their :spank:

updated 2-1-07 (list may have shortened since)

STILL NEEDING ONE OPPONENT
Ball State
Houston
Illinois
Indiana
Kent State
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Nevada
New Mexico State
Northern Illinois
Rice
Tulane
Tulsa
Vanderbilt
Wisconsin

STILL NEEDING TWO OPPONENTS
Hawai'i
Louisiana-Monroe
North Texas
Southern Miss

Mr. C
February 21st, 2007, 08:32 AM
So you're saying ASU couldn't get enough of a guarantee from NDSU for 9/1 or 9/15 so they scheduled Michigan and G-Webb? Gotcha.
The Gardner-Webb game was the second year of a home and home that App State signed before the 2006 season. ASU played at GWU last year, so the 2007 game is the other half of that contract. The date that North Dakota State and ASU were talking about was Sept. 1. The word I heard from folks in the Mountaineer athletic department was that the money being offered by North Dakota State was just about enough to pay for the trip and nothing else. It was going to take well over $100,000 (I think the NDSU guarantee was being talked about as $125,000) to get ASU from Boone to NDSU. Instead, the Mountaineers are receiving $400,000 by going to Michigan and will probably pocket a good quarter-mil, or more from it, after expenses.

danefan
February 21st, 2007, 08:36 AM
nm
sorry. i somehow got in the wrong thread.
weird.

UAalum72
February 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
the link does not work!
If you don't have Excel, try the .pdf version at http://travisliles.com/sports/fcs/2007/2007Schedules.pdf

February 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
The Gardner-Webb game was the second year of a home and home that App State signed before the 2006 season. ASU played at GWU last year, so the 2007 game is the other half of that contract. The date that North Dakota State and ASU were talking about was Sept. 1. The word I heard from folks in the Mountaineer athletic department was that the money being offered by North Dakota State was just about enough to pay for the trip and nothing else. It was going to take well over $100,000 (I think the NDSU guarantee was being talked about as $125,000) to get ASU from Boone to NDSU...Well, they had the 15th open as well, now filled by G-Webb. So it would basically take more than $125K to get ASU on a plane somewhere? Is that pretty normal for schools or more for ASU because they are far from an airport? NDSU is right next door to an airport.

SoCon48
February 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM
Well, they had the 15th open as well, now filled by G-Webb. So it would basically take more than $125K to get ASU on a plane somewhere? Is that pretty normal for schools or more for ASU because they are far from an airport? NDSU is right next door to an airport.

We can basically make far more staying at home and playing a Mars Hill.

Mountaineer#96
February 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
There's still a few FBSers with an opening
waiting to get their :spank:

updated 2-1-07 (list may have shortened since)

STILL NEEDING ONE OPPONENT
Ball State
Houston
Illinois
Indiana
Kent State
Louisiana Tech
Middle Tennessee
Nevada
New Mexico State
Northern Illinois
Rice
Tulane
Tulsa
Vanderbilt
Wisconsin

STILL NEEDING TWO OPPONENTS
Hawai'i
Louisiana-Monroe
North Texas
Southern Miss

I say we go ahead and play another away against one of these Ball State, Louisiana-Monroe types pick up a paycheck and prolly get a win too.

LarryBoy
February 21st, 2007, 06:17 PM
Wait, PC doesn't count as a Divison-I game? Crap it. It'll be like playing West Georgia all over again.

swaghook
February 21st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Sounds like ASU is the Montana of the south now. If they don't see $$$$ then they stay home.

catamount man
February 21st, 2007, 09:51 PM
Wait, PC doesn't count as a Divison-I game? Crap it. It'll be like playing West Georgia all over again.

Exactly and they're on our schedule as well.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appstate29
February 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sounds like ASU is the Montana of the south now. If they don't see $$$$ then they stay home.

I wouldn't go that far, we aren't buying anyone out, we're just not signing the deals in the first place, its a little frustrating for fans, because we want to see the good matchups like ASU-UM or ASU-NDSU, but all of us that say do it no matter what the financials may look like don't deal with any of the financial stuff. We don't know how much money we need to make to cover our expenses or what it will take. I hope before long we sign a deal with NDSU, but it looks like it wasn't in the cards this year.

ASU
February 22nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
So you're saying ASU couldn't get enough of a guarantee from NDSU for 9/1 or 9/15 so they scheduled Michigan and G-Webb? Gotcha.

I would buy that Ralph....Michigan for the money, and Gardner-Webb because it is only @ 2.5 hours away by bus + they owe Appalachian
a home game because ASU played there last year.:hurray:
Besides, if you remember the open letter from the Montana AD (or article, last month) if seems both Montana and Appalachian could not justify paying out the expenses of flying either way for the amount of the guarantee. I imagine the same
would hold true with NDSU. I would really like to see the Apps play both of them
this year though....especially NDSU since they will not be eligable for the playoffs
(their final year, I believe.) Plus, NDSU deserves a game considering their near win at Minnesota last year.

AppMan
February 22nd, 2007, 03:03 AM
I say we go ahead and play another away against one of these Ball State, Louisiana-Monroe types pick up a paycheck and prolly get a win too.

If were only that simple. The problem is getting one of those Ball State, Louisiana-Monroe types to agree to a game. I can assure you they have been contacted.

ASU
February 22nd, 2007, 03:15 AM
Exactly and they're on our schedule as well.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!
In all honesty I am pulling for Western to get their football house in order
this year....your team may need the confidence after that season ending game with Florida. I don't know what it has been but I have never seen Western so down. They may be our rivals, but I am seriously rooting for them this year (except one game, of course.) My sister and her husband both graduated from Western....I have avoided saying hardly anything about football the last couple of years. Believe me, it kills me....especially when I am around them at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

catamount man
February 22nd, 2007, 06:40 AM
In all honesty I am pulling for Western to get their football house in order
this year....your team may need the confidence after that season ending game with Florida. I don't know what it has been but I have never seen Western so down. They may be our rivals, but I am seriously rooting for them this year (except one game, of course.) My sister and her husband both graduated from Western....I have avoided saying hardly anything about football the last couple of years. Believe me, it kills me....especially when I am around them at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Thanks. Slowly, but surely..........

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

walliver
February 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
I doubt if Ball State or ULM (both with average attendance less than App State) actually offer a significant payout.

BigApp
February 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM

why do you say that? We went TO Gardner-Webb last year

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2007, 12:01 AM
Has McNeese State finished its schedule? There has been some talk between the two parties about that being a possible game with a home and home contract.

Charleston Southern was another one that I was hearing some talk about, but since CSU signed a deal with Hawaii, I have to wonder if the Bucs have any more openings? Of course, CSU can now schedule 12 games, because of the trip to Hawaii.

It seems likely that ASU will end up with at least one D-II game (most likely with one of the South Atlantic Conference teams). But it would be nice to see the Mountaineers play one of the OVC teams like Samford or Tennessee Tech. Samford makes a lot of since, with a home game at ASU in 2007, because then the Mountaineers could make a return trip to Samford as part of the SoCon schedule in 2008. But that's probably too easy.

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2007, 12:10 AM
Well, they had the 15th open as well, now filled by G-Webb. So it would basically take more than $125K to get ASU on a plane somewhere? Is that pretty normal for schools or more for ASU because they are far from an airport? NDSU is right next door to an airport.
ASU really never had Sept. 15 as an open date. All along, the game with Gardner-Webb was pretty much plugged into that date as the second part of a home and home contract. ASU rarely flies anywhere and it is an expensive proposition when the Mountaineers do. There is a very small airport in Hickory an hour away and a medium-sized one in Winston-Salem an hour and a half away, but the Mountaineers usually fly out of Greensboro, which is a two-hour hop. Charlotte is also two hours away. ASU's plane trips in the Mr. C era include:

1994: New Hampshire and Boise State for the I-AA playoffs.
1998: Northwestern State for the I-AA quarterfinals.
2000: Montana for the I-AA semifinals.
2003: Hawaii for the season opener.
2004: Wyoming for the season opener and Northwestern State for the fourth game of the season.
2005 Kansas for the second game of the season and LSU for the ninth game of the season.

I can't remember if ASU flew to Auburn for the 1999 season opener, but my memory seems to think that the Mountaineers bused to Alabama for that one.

Of course, 2007 will include a flight to Ann Arbor, Michigan for the season-opening game against the Wolverines.

SoCon48
February 23rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
I wouldn't be disappointed with an L-R game. At least it has a little history to it, unlike the Mars Hill mess.

Mr. C
February 23rd, 2007, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't be disappointed with an L-R game. At least it has a little history to it, unlike the Mars Hill mess.
Lenoir-Rhyne has already completed and announced its schedule. But you are right from the standpoint that an L-R game would have more historical value than any other D-II opponent.

McNeeserocket
February 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM
Has McNeese State finished its schedule? There has been some talk between the two parties about that being a possible game with a home and home contract.

As far as I know, McNeese still needs another game. Dates still open are Sept. 8 or Sept. 29. However, McNeese really needs/wants a home game this year, but would be willing to play next year at Appst. if the two schools signed a contract. It doesn't hurt the two schools to talk about a 2 year or multi-year deal.

I would love a game with Appst. at either place.

February 23rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
As far as I know, McNeese still needs another game. Dates still open are Sept. 8 or Sept. 29. However, McNeese really needs/wants a home game this year, but would be willing to play next year at Appst. if the two schools signed a contract. It doesn't hurt the two schools to talk about a 2 year or multi-year deal.

I would love a game with Appst. at either place.Would McNeese State be willing to pay App St more than $125k?

Mountaineer
February 23rd, 2007, 05:02 PM
Would McNeese State be willing to pay App St more than $125k?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Already ralph? :p

McNeeserocket
February 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Would McNeese State be willing to pay App St more than $125k?

That answer would be no. I am sure you mentioned that amount because that is the amount previously mentioned for App. St. to go to North Dakota, Montana, or some other northwest school. The cost to travel to McNeese should be less than travel costs to some Northwest school, but App. St. might be willing to travel to Lake Charles this year if McNeese traveled to App. St. next year or the year after. If App. St. must have a home game then it might not work for McNeese and App. St., as the McNeese administration wants another home game scheduled if at all possible. McNeese already travels to Southern Utah this year on a return two year deal.

February 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
That answer would be no. I am sure you mentioned that amount because that is the amount previously mentioned for App. St. to go to North Dakota, Montana, or some other northwest school. The cost to travel to McNeese should be less than travel costs to some Northwest school...Actually the flight to Lake Charles costs the same as the flight to Fargo and Missoula. (according to Travelocity)

gvilleapp
February 23rd, 2007, 05:14 PM

Charleston Southern was another one that I was hearing some talk about, but since CSU signed a deal with Hawaii, I have to wonder if the Bucs have any more openings? Of course, CSU can now schedule 12 games, because of the trip to Hawaii.

It seems likely that ASU will end up with at least one D-II game (most likely with one of the South Atlantic Conference teams). But it would be nice to see the Mountaineers play one of the OVC teams like Samford or Tennessee Tech. Samford makes a lot of since, with a home game at ASU in 2007, because then the Mountaineers could make a return trip to Samford as part of the SoCon schedule in 2008. But that's probably too easy.
Seems to me a game with Charleston Southern would make sense because I would hope we would not agree to a home and home like we probably would have to do with McNeese. Also, more press in SC would be good for recruiting. The Bucs are definetly a much better team now and I think it would benefit both clubs to play.

Samford seems like such a common sense opponent, I have trouble understanding why/how that won't happen given the SoCon speculation.

Hampton also appears to have some common open dates and that would be a nice series I believe.

Mr. C, do you think App is looking for a second BCS opponent like back in '05? Only rumor I've heard on the message boards is ECU and I think they have completed their schedule.

Saint3333
February 23rd, 2007, 06:51 PM

You can't be serious, Michigan or NDSU... hmmmm that would really be a hard decision...:boring:

With sooooo many 1-AA/FCS schools in the surrounding states ASU shouldn't have to look west of the Mississippi for games. So many OVC schools with open dates, guess that makes too much sense.

McNeeserocket
February 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Actually the flight to Lake Charles costs the same as the flight to Fargo and Missoula. (according to Travelocity)

Teams don't book commercial airflights. Charters include prices based in part on fuel usage/needs.

No_Skill
February 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, I give ASU a ton of credit for even considering us as a option. Especially since they were willing to come to Fargo first.

As for taking the game with Michigan...um yeah that's a no brainer. It's not like they scheduled the game with us and then bought out of it for the Michigan game.

Best of luck ASU. :thumbsup:

What are the chances this game will be televised nationally?

PantherRob82
February 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
What are the chances this game will be televised nationally?

My guess is something like ESPN gameplan.

Mr. C
February 24th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Seems to me a game with Charleston Southern would make sense because I would hope we would not agree to a home and home like we probably would have to do with McNeese. Also, more press in SC would be good for recruiting. The Bucs are definetly a much better team now and I think it would benefit both clubs to play.

Samford seems like such a common sense opponent, I have trouble understanding why/how that won't happen given the SoCon speculation.

Hampton also appears to have some common open dates and that would be a nice series I believe.

Mr. C, do you think App is looking for a second BCS opponent like back in '05? Only rumor I've heard on the message boards is ECU and I think they have completed their schedule.
I was told that App State was extremely interested in scheduling CSU, but the Bucs haven't been so interested in playing the Mountaineers. The CSU staff will be up in Boone next week for ASU spring practice, so maybe there will be some more talks.

If I were the ASU administration, I would place a call to the SoCon commissioner and suggest that he make a call to Samford and work out a game. If Samford wants support for its move to the SoCon, a game with ASU might be a good bargaining chip. If Samford gets into the league, they will almost certainly host ASU in 2008 (ASU already has four home SoCon games on the 2008 schedule), so a 2007 game in Boone would make too much sense.

The problem is that most teams just don't want to play a school that has won back-to-back titles and will be ranked No. 1 again this season.

Hampton would have made a great series, but they have filled their schedule. Don't know how seriously talks have gotten there. McNeese State is still a possibility from what I've heard. But it still looks like App State will be stuck with at least one D-II game.

Mr. C
February 24th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Actually the flight to Lake Charles costs the same as the flight to Fargo and Missoula. (according to Travelocity)
ASU doesn't do commercial flights for football. You also have more options for going to Lake Charles with a charter. You could go directly to Lake Charles, or you could fly to Baton Rouge or Houston and bus to Lake Charles. The air miles and gas used to Missoula would be probably twice as much as Lake Charles. I'm not sure what the mileage difference for going to North Dakota State or McNeese State would be.

February 24th, 2007, 05:06 PM
ASU doesn't do commercial flights for football...Gotcha!

February 24th, 2007, 05:10 PM
You can't be serious, Michigan or NDSU... hmmmm that would really be a hard decision...Was that a decision at the time? Obviously a school would take the game where they got the most $$$. I thought NDSU had already been turned down when Michigan came calling. That's why I said that. :nod:

February 24th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Teams don't book commercial airflights. Charters include prices based in part on fuel usage/needs.Interesting I looked this up at http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

Piedmont Triad Intl, Greensboro, NC (GSO) to
Lake Charles Municipal, Lake Charles, LA (LCH)
One Way Distance: Distance 863 miles

Piedmont Triad Intl, Greensboro, NC (GSO) to
Hector Airport, Fargo, ND (FAR)
One Way Distance: Distance 1140 miles

JBB
February 24th, 2007, 05:21 PM

What?

Our AD is out there working the streets for games with some pretty top notch programs that have a lot of their own concerns. :bang:

Im glad we are even in the picture. As far as I know, its not ruled out yet? It would be huge!!!!

Mr. C
February 25th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Was that a decision at the time? Obviously a school would take the game where they got the most $$$. I thought NDSU had already been turned down when Michigan came calling. That's why I said that. :nod:
They were still talking when the Michigan deal came about.

FargoBison
February 25th, 2007, 02:32 AM

: smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

They aren't even close, Michigan was a good get for them and since they didn't have a I-A already on the schedule its a no brainer to play them. Hopefully NDSU and App State can play a different year, our AD definately seems very open to scheduling a home and home with them.