PDA

View Full Version : Transition Period for D-II teams

Grabholdofyosef
February 20th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Someone explain the reasoning for making D-II teams that move up not eligible for the FCS playoffs until their 5th season. Does this means that NDSU wont be eligible for 2007 either? I assume they will be eligible in 2008.

BISON Thunder
February 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Someone explain the reasoning for making D-II teams that move up not eligible for the FCS playoffs until their 5th season. Does this means that NDSU wont be eligible for 2007 either? I assume they will be eligible in 2008.

This is correct...NDSU not eligible till 2008 season. The rule is in place to force true commitment, I believe. NCAA doesn't want schools jumping to/from divisions.

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM

There are some old threads about this but the real answer is it depends on who you ask.

As a Bison fan I would have to say there is none. Its a conspiracy theory by the NCAA to keep the Bison from winning the championship last year.;) xlolx :p

UAalum72
February 20th, 2007, 11:04 AM
It's not just football, it's the entire school. Divison I has more stringent academic regulations, requires a college to have fourteen sports (ten for D-II), and the school must show it has its sports administration and compliance oversight up and functioning.

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 11:07 AM
It's not just football, it's the entire school. Divison I has more stringent academic regulations, requires a college to have fourteen sports (ten for D-II), and the school must show it has its sports administration and compliance oversight up and functioning.

So why cant there be exceptions for teams like NDSU, which already had the required academic standards and sports? When you look at schools like NDSU and SDSU, it looks more like the purpose is punishment for moving up, rather then any administrative purpose.

lizrdgizrd
February 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM
So why cant there be exceptions for teams like NDSU, which already had the required academic standards and sports? When you look at schools like NDSU and SDSU, it looks more like the purpose is punishment for moving up, rather then any administrative purpose.
I think BISON Thunder answered that for you:

The rule is in place to force true commitment, I believe. NCAA doesn't want schools jumping to/from divisions.

UAalum72
February 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Do you really think the NCAA should just take a school's word for it that they're in compliance and ready for Division I?
Read pages 369-371, Bylaw 20.5, Change of Division Classification, in
http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2006-07/2006-07_d1_manual.pdf for all the administrative stuff they require

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Do you really think the NCAA should just take a school's word for it that they're in compliance and ready for Division I?
Read pages 369-371, Bylaw 20.5, Change of Division Classification, in
http://www.ncaa.org/library/membership/division_i_manual/2006-07/2006-07_d1_manual.pdf for all the administrative stuff they require

I realize that there is alot of administrative requirements, but in reality this could be expedited. A have no problem with the old standards of a 2 year transtitional period. However, I have a problem with requiring a whole class of student atheletes to not have a chance at competing in post-season play. Especially when the reason is procedural and not substantive.

Sir William
February 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
There are some old threads about this but the real answer is it depends on who you ask.

As a Bison fan I would have to say there is none. Its a conspiracy theory by the NCAA to keep the Bison from winning the championship last year.;) xlolx :p

:deadhorse:

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Bison05

As a Bison fan I would have to say there is none. Its a conspiracy theory by the NCAA to keep the Bison from winning the championship last year.

:deadhorse:

Sorry, I couldn't help it. :D

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Two words...

Birmingham Southern...

They moved up and have already moved back down. Schools need to get their act together. Savannah State may need to move back down if they can't keep up...

lucchesicourt
February 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM
The 4 year exemption is way too long. Also, as far as the academics go and the Number of sports requirements UCD easily satisfied these 4 years ago. The fact is the University of California system requirements already meet the NCAA standards for academics. All UC's meet the standard. If Cal and UCLA meet the standards, all the other campuses do too. The UC requirements are pretty much identical in all campuses.

JBB
February 20th, 2007, 02:28 PM
I think its appropriate. It takes 5 yrs to get yourself into funding, complinace, scheduling, conferences, recruiting and proving you can operate as a D1 program by sustaining the total commitment for a convincing period of time. Its a huge project and NDSU still isnt settled in.

NZNCRZY
February 20th, 2007, 05:00 PM

I can understand Bison fans being upset; arguable they were the best team in the division. If they were not such a good team this would not be an issue. All I can say is I am glad the Bison were not eligible for the playoffs, I would be afraid we would have to play them, and if I was an Appalachian state fan I would be happy with the eligibility rule too.

Benne
February 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM
My understanding is there can be exceptions. SDSU is post-season eligible in wrestling this year.

JBB
February 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM
Both NDSU and SDSU are eligable for the NIT too. There are exceptions.

SDSU womens Baskeball team just might make it too.

Bison05
February 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I can understand Bison fans being upset; arguable they were the best team in the division. If they were not such a good team this would not be an issue. All I can say is I am glad the Bison were not eligible for the playoffs, I would be afraid we would have to play them, and if I was an Appalachian state fan I would be happy with the eligibility rule too.

My comment was meant as a joke, we knew what we were getting into when we made the decision to move to Division I.

89Hen
February 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Divison I has more stringent academic regulations
Still waiting for somebody to show me that. All the regs I've seen look VERY similar.

dbackjon
February 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM
The Old Guard wants to keep the new kids down!

UAalum72
February 20th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Still waiting for somebody to show me that. All the regs I've seen look VERY similar.
My head hurts looking thru the manuals, however regarding freshman eligibility Division II still has partial qualifiers while in D-I "All references to partial qualifiers were deleted at the October 31, 2002 NCAA Division I Board of Directors meeting effective August 1, 2005. As such, the partial qualifier status no longer applies to any prospective student-athlete enrolling after August 1, 2005"

Article 14 in both Division I and Division II manuals

FargoBison
February 20th, 2007, 07:10 PM
NDSU was allowed to put 2 sports on the fast track to playoff eligibilty(can't be basketball or football though). Its not about academic standards but instead its about money and keeping teams from moving to division one(schools moving into DII can petition for a quicker transition).

Fresno St. Alum
February 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/division_I/DI_Membership_Info/Status_Page

Here is the page that shows where each school in D-I is at in reclassifying. UVSC has to wait 7 years instead of 5 because they were coming from JUCO. The 7 year plan is for all NAIA moves to D-I too.

BEAR
February 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I believe UCA petitioned to cut that time period in half, but I believe it failed. Not that fun being in the hunt...um...not being in the hunt....ok...ok... just playing games and going home at the end of the year...: smh :

UCA 14 Ark. State 3- Results of a Baseball game today in Conway.

Fresno St. Alum
February 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Good job UCA, Hey looks like UA-Ft.Smith is taking UCA's spot in the GSC. Moving up from JUCO. How many D-II FB teams does UCA play in 2007.

blukeys
February 21st, 2007, 12:15 AM
NDSU was allowed to put 2 sports on the fast track to playoff eligibilty(can't be basketball or football though). Its not about academic standards but instead its about money and keeping teams from moving to division one(schools moving into DII can petition for a quicker transition).

Quite right the big enchilada is basketball. All CAA basketball teams including the really crappy ones (UD, JMU) benefitted financially BIG TIME from GMU's final 4 appearance last year.

I think the 5 year rule gives the NCAA an opportunity to look at graduation rates especially of football and basketball players. All that being said I think 5 years is too long. If the Ncaa spent half the time actually looking in to the half dozen programs making the change to D-I instead of worrying about flags and mascots they could quickly determine if a program is making progress in the right direction including Title IX compliance.

It is easier for the administrators (not the Old Guard) to sit back and review records in their own sweet time. The NCAA Basketball payout makes this so.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2007, 07:12 AM
I believe UCA petitioned to cut that time period in half, but I believe it failed. Not that fun being in the hunt...um...not being in the hunt....ok...ok... just playing games and going home at the end of the year...: smh :

Actually, Southland Conference filed the legislation on behalf of UCA and I believe they got support from another conference in their attempt to get it to happened...

Was rejected as you mentioned, but no surprises there...

Purple Pride
February 21st, 2007, 09:13 AM
Good job UCA, Hey looks like UA-Ft.Smith is taking UCA's spot in the GSC. Moving up from JUCO. How many D-II FB teams does UCA play in 2007.

None.:hurray: :hurray:

http://www.ucafans.com/redesign/xtras/wallpaper/fb07schedule_800x600.jpg

JoshUCA
February 21st, 2007, 09:46 AM
:hurray:
None.:hurray: :hurray:

http://www.ucafans.com/redesign/xtras/wallpaper/fb07schedule_800x600.jpg
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

ucdtim17
February 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'm just thrilled to be done with it - it's been a long 4 years

89Hen
February 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM
My head hurts looking thru the manuals, however regarding freshman eligibility Division II still has partial qualifiers while in D-I "All references to partial qualifiers were deleted at the October 31, 2002 NCAA Division I Board of Directors meeting effective August 1, 2005. As such, the partial qualifier status no longer applies to any prospective student-athlete enrolling after August 1, 2005"

Article 14 in both Division I and Division II manuals

A summary page exists somewhere that shows the differences and the qualifiers look very much the same. I will have to try to find it.

Peems
February 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm just thrilled to be done with it - it's been a long 4 years

Thats how i felt about school

ucdtim17
February 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Thats how i felt about school

My 4 years went by in a flash. I was just thinking how I should have failed a few classes and stayed an extra year. I've got the rest of my life to not be in college

lizrdgizrd
February 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
My 4 years went by in a flash. I was just thinking how I should have failed a few classes and stayed an extra year. I've got the rest of my life to not be in college
I liked it so much I decided to go to college for 7 years! :thumbsup: xlolx

dbackjon
February 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I liked it so much I decided to go to college for 7 years! :thumbsup: xlolx

slacker!

Only 7???

lizrdgizrd
February 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
slacker!

Only 7???
That was just undergrad. :thumbsup: