PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Robinson Foundation Under Investigation

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2007, 08:40 AM
You have got to watch this news video on this page. This is a mess. The folks in place at the Eddie Robinson Foundation have really tarnished the foundation named in his honor by not having the $$$ to give to the folks who won college scholarships from the foundation...
---------------------------
I-Team: Foundation Shuts Down; College Scholarship Winners Without Money

Eddie Robinson is the Hall of Fame coach from Grambling State University. When he retired, he set up a foundation to provide scholarships for young teens. But an I-Team investigation uncovered a trail of broken dreams, as the scholarship money disappeared.

http://media.myfoxatlanta.com/ITEAM/

Lehigh Football Nation
February 20th, 2007, 08:48 AM
This was the same foundation that was trying to set up the SWAC game in Africa, if memory serves me right...

What a sad mess.

TexasTerror
February 21st, 2007, 06:59 PM
Deriso fires back calling the segment on WAGA as clumsy and classless...

Insult to injury
Dale Russell, a television guy from WAGA in Atlanta, was so proud of a clumsy and classless investigative segment into the Eddie Robinson Foundation that he sent out links to media outlets across the nation in an effort to trumpet the story today.

That foundation, based in Atlanta, was charged in the two-part FOX5 report with mishandling funds earmarked for college scholarships. No reason to argue with the story idea, since that would indeed tarnish the legacy of the coach after which the non-profit organization was named.

What exactly does Russell think he added to that legacy, though, when he chose to include several video clips of Coach Robinson on his sick bed, frail and faltering? Baldly exploitive, these shots border on the inhumane -- and hold no clear news or probative value.

By charging into his bedroom as Robinson continues this final struggle, Russell exposes his own underlying disregard for the very legacy he claims to be trying to protect.

It is, even for sweeps-obsessed TV "journalists," a shocking display of insensitivity.

That's only compounded by a disturbing final exchange at the end of the first report, which aired on Monday. We find Russell sitting, ever so earnest, with the FOX5 co-anchors -- lamenting this alleged misappropriation as a great insult to Robinson ... sadly oblivious to the one they themselves heaped on top of it.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2007/02/insult-to-injury.html
---------------
Feel free to e-mail the correspondent at...

[email protected]

MACHIAVELLI
February 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM
Dale Russell sucks.

JDC325
February 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Dale Russell sucks.

Why? For possibly shedding light on a grave injustice?

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Why? For possibly shedding light on a grave injustice?

No...adding more fuel to be able to trumpet his name by deciding to "include several video clips of Coach Robinson on his sick bed, frail and faltering"

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 05:25 PM
No...adding more fuel to be able to trumpet his name by deciding to "include several video clips of Coach Robinson on his sick bed, frail and faltering"

There is hope for you yet? :thumbsup:

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2007, 05:38 PM
There is hope for you yet? :thumbsup:

Especially after all this NOLA crap that the media puts out and my own experience with the media trumpeting stuff...I've got some heart when it comes to that issue...:nod:

JDC325
February 22nd, 2007, 05:43 PM

I agree Coach Robinson could have been left out of the piece alltogether and still expose alleged gross mishandling of money however wasnt there two family members present at the taping? This is bad all around I hope there is a reasonable explanation for all of this but if family members are suing I doubt there is. I KNOW no one is suggesting this whole thing should have been swept under the rug or would rather this not have been exposed when kids futures were shattered.

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
I agree Coach Robinson could have been left out of the piece alltogether and still expose alleged gross mishandling of money however wasnt there two family members present at the taping?

Your point being?

JDC325
February 22nd, 2007, 10:49 PM
Your point being?

Dont you think the reporter had to get permission to talk to the coach and get permission to air any footage from the two family members? Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill for once. I doubt the reporter has nothing but respect and admiration for the coach dont kill the messenger.

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 10:59 PM
Dont you think the reporter had to get permission to talk to the coach and get permission to air any footage from the two family members? Lets not make a mountain out of a mole hill for once. I doubt the reporter has nothing but respect and admiration for the coach dont kill the messenger.

Did it have anything to do with the story?

JDC325
February 22nd, 2007, 11:10 PM
Did it have anything to do with the story?

Please read previous posts. Like I said the story could have been done without showing the coach but HIS TWO FAMILY MEMBERS did not seem to have a problem with it so why should we? I just hope Dale Russells report gets to the bottom of where over 1M dollars went in less than five years and why there are kids with broken college dreams. I get your a little sensitive on the subject but chill out. If I were a Grambling fan and Coach Rob supporter I would be more concerned that the mans name is being associated with an orginiazation that is not fullfilling its obligations and wanting answers and not trying to deflect anger towards the reporter who broke the story.

MACHIAVELLI
February 22nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
Like I said the story could have been done without showing the coach but HIS TWO FAMILY MEMBERS did not seem to have a problem with it so why should we? I just hope Dale Russells report gets to the bottom of where over 1M dollars went in less than five years and why there are kids with broken college dreams. I get your a little sensitive on the subject but chill out. If I were a Grambling fan and Coach Rob supporter I would be more concerned that the mans name is being associated with an orginiazation that is not fullfilling its obligations and wanting answers and not trying to deflect anger towards the reporter who broke the story.

This is old news to me. Nothing he said was new to me. I stand by my statement Dale Russell sucks.

JDC325
February 23rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
This is old news to me. Nothing he said was new to me. I stand by my statement Dale Russell sucks.

Ok.....:bang: I guess he should just ignored the whole thing....:nono:
I mean nothing news worthy about a LEGEND'S name being tarnished, kids college dreams being shattered and over a million dollars unaccounted for at this time. I see where your coming from. Tapping out before this gets thrown off into some insane tangent debate.

MACHIAVELLI
February 23rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Ok.....:bang: I guess he should just ignored the whole thing....:nono:
I mean nothing news worthy about a LEGEND'S name being tarnished, kids college dreams being shattered and over a million dollars unaccounted for at this time. I see where your coming from. Tapping out before this gets thrown off into some insane tangent debate.

TT favorite reporter, Nick Deriso, said it best....

This story could have been aired, and made the same accusations, without showing Coach Rob. Russell could have made clear that Robinson was bed-ridden that day, and moved on. Don't sell me sensationalism as journalism.

Now, it may or may not be true that Mrs. Doris understood exactly what she was getting into - after all, she is 88 and ailing, too. Even if it was, I think as caring human beings we should avoid taking advantage of the sick and old, even with their permission.

Similar conduct was, in fact, the very thing the FOX5 crew claimed to be so outraged about in the first place.

You can't have it both ways.

Dale sucks (http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/index.html)

February 23rd, 2007, 09:08 AM
very sad ... love you Coach Rob!

JDC325
February 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
TT favorite reporter, Nick Deriso, said it best....

Dale sucks (http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/index.html)

You could atleast post the response of the guy you and ONE reporter are so critical of.

Dale Russel

Subject: What were you thinking?
"Thanks for watching. Our video was shot with the consent and blessing of the family who wanted people to know Coach Rob had nothing to do with the problems with his foundation and also to show the problems Doris is dealing with.

She loves and accepts her husband, as she told me, "just as he is" And, as she told me: we all grow old and face the loss of our youthful vigor. That doesn't diminish us or our past. It is what we all will one day face.

You may disagree with the family, or how we captured their wishes, but rest assured, it was done with a great deal of thought."

Instead of bashing the man who shed light on the issue why dont you give your opinion on the situation...since that was the topic.

February 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
You could atleast post the response of the guy you and ONE reporter are so critical of...JDC, in case you were not aware, that ONE reporter is the main ONE and he gave a response to the Atlanta FOXTV guy as well:
Sorry, I don't buy that.

This story could have been aired, and made the same accusations, without showing Coach Rob. Russell could have made clear that Robinson was bed-ridden that day, and moved on. Don't sell me sensationalism as journalism.

Now, it may or may not be true that Mrs. Doris understood exactly what she was getting into - after all, she is 88 and ailing, too. Even if it was, I think as caring human beings we should avoid taking advantage of the sick and old, even with their permission.

Similar conduct was, in fact, the very thing the FOX5 crew claimed to be investigating in the first place.

You can't have it both ways.

NICK DERISO
http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/2007/02/in-response.html
http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blogs/blog3/uploaded_images/thecoach-779064.jpg

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Like Deriso and his response...

He made a great point that Mrs Doris probably had no clue what she was getting into as an 88 year old that is ailing herself.

Dale was in the wrong...

JDC325
February 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Like Deriso and his response...

He made a great point that Mrs Doris probably had no clue what she was getting into as an 88 year old that is ailing herself.

Dale was in the wrong...

I dont know why Mach is trying to get it twisted I have said numerous times at this point that I would have preferred NOT to seen a legend in such a poor condition but I think PERHAPS there is a little bit of kill the messenger in some peoples reaction. BTW Mrs. Legend was not the only family member there. To me the message and the POINT of the story should not be overshadowed by a lapse of judgement. I THANK Dale for exposing a travisty, hopefully exposing some POSSIBLE serious corruption, helping end the tarnishment of such a great mans name and finding a solution to those KIDS who were left high and dry. I am pretty sure that is what the majority of Coaches family wants as well.

MACHIAVELLI
February 24th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Lapse in judgement? It is painfully obvious you just don't or refuse to get it.

eaglesrthe1
February 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
I haven't even seen where there has been any evidence of mis-handling of funds, even though that may be the case. From what little "evidence" I have seen, it looks like shoddy record keeping to me.

A foundation that has 1 mil in assests, with 1/3 of that tied up in memorabilia, can't in any way support ten 20k scholorships.

As a non-profit, it would have to keep it's investment assests in low bearing, extra secure assests. Probably earning in the 3-4% range. Taking into account overhead, you would probably need at least 6-10 mil in an earning asset base. 7.5mil @ 4% = 300k.....200 for scholies and 100 for everything else. To ensure sustainability and growth, it would need 10 mil in assests, or continuous funding from outside sources. Since the NCAA discontinued the memorial game, it looks like most of that outside funding dried up.

His grandson may be guilty of negligence in that he didn't bring to light the financial troubles of the foundation, but I don't see where he stole anything. At least not in this story.

JDC325
February 26th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Lapse in judgement? It is painfully obvious you just don't or refuse to get it.

xidiotx

Tell that to the kids that are sitting at home with NO scholarship. I guess they should be more upset with a reporter making a mistake than NOT going to college. Whatever.... xcoffeex

MACHIAVELLI
February 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
R.I.F.