PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons to your stadium

VandalBasher
February 13th, 2018, 10:04 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/12743/idahos-kibbie-dome-ncaas-most-unique-stadium

"The Kibbie Dome remains a link to Idaho's football past and its cloudy future."

The Kibbie Dome has its advantages. It holds about 16,500 for a small college town population. The weather in late fall on the Palouse can be miserable. The weather is similar to Seattle, but colder. To have a covered stadium allows for a comfortable game, by both teams, the week before Thanksgiving. It is also used as a multi-function facility for indoor track and field. The updates to our conditioning facilities have been excellent.

However, fall on the Palouse is amazing (68-72 degrees). Having a covered stadium is a mess. No one wants to be inside for the game. The tailgating is too good.

If only we could have something similar to Safeco Field where the roof can slide off for the sunny days and move back into position for everything in November.

Please your pictures of your facilities.

Bisonoline
February 13th, 2018, 10:09 PM
We could use 5k more seats. Other than that nothing I can think of.

CHIP72
February 13th, 2018, 10:19 PM
Lehigh (Goodman Stadium)
Pros: excellent setting, large parking area, good tailgating
Cons: far from main campus, seats too far from field, no lights, no video board

Lafayette (Fisher Stadium)
Pros: good setting, located in nice neighborhood, seats close to the field
Cons: lack of parking, poor cellular reception, limited visitor's side seating, setting sun issue for evening games

Penn (Franklin Field)
Pros: historic venue, good setting, good viewing angles from upper deck, good public transit access
Cons: lack of parking, lack of modern amenities, lack of restrooms, long walk up many steps to upper deck

Villanova (Villanova Stadium)
Pros: convenient access from major road (US 30), good public transit access
Cons: lack of modern amenities, lack of restrooms, poor viewing angles, feels/looks like a high school stadium

JSUSoutherner
February 14th, 2018, 12:09 AM
Pros: Yeah, it’s got those.

Cons: No beer.

BisonTru
February 14th, 2018, 12:32 AM
Pros: Bacon on a stick

Cons: No beer

kdinva
February 14th, 2018, 05:11 AM

I was thinking 10-12K...... xbowx

UNHWildcat18
February 14th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Pros: Home side, new turf, video board. Student section (only full for first two games or late playoff games) being right on the endzone, Tailgates, beer garden.

Cons: Track, Away side is further away with walkway between track and stands. Stands are ugly and not even across the field. Also call me crazy but I really wish they'd put the arborvitaes back behind the student section

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27110&stc=1

TheKingpin28
February 14th, 2018, 06:26 AM
Pros: Home side, new turf, video board. Student section (only full for first two games or late playoff games) being right on the endzone, Tailgates, beer garden.

Cons: Track, Away side is further away with walkway between track and stands. Stands are ugly and not even across the field.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27110&stc=1That is one of the nicer beer gardens I have seen and I do have to admit, I admire the walk to the home side as well as the UNH arch you have to walk under to get there.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 14th, 2018, 06:38 AM
Compared to what you had before the upgrade, you have no cons. It's all good, well maybe the track being the only negative, besides that beautiful facility.xthumbsupx

Twentysix
February 14th, 2018, 06:45 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/12743/idahos-kibbie-dome-ncaas-most-unique-stadium

"The Kibbie Dome remains a link to Idaho's football past and its cloudy future."

The Kibbie Dome has its advantages. It holds about 16,500 for a small college town population. The weather in late fall on the Palouse can be miserable. The weather is similar to Seattle, but colder. To have a covered stadium allows for a comfortable game, by both teams, the week before Thanksgiving. It is also used as a multi-function facility for indoor track and field. The updates to our conditioning facilities have been excellent.

However, fall on the Palouse is amazing (68-72 degrees). Having a covered stadium is a mess. No one wants to be inside for the game. The tailgating is too good.

If only we could have something similar to Safeco Field where the roof can slide off for the sunny days move back into position for everything in November.

Please your pictures of your facilities.

You're in the FCS now. If you don't suck you will be playing home games on December 15-20. That indoor stadium is a godsend.

katss07
February 14th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Bowers Stadium in Huntsville
Pros: Great score board, good amount of seating, new turf, nice field house.
Cons: Track, restrooms suck, concessions suck

PAllen
February 14th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Dome = #notastadium

- - - Updated - - -

Dome = #notastadium

SFA 93
February 14th, 2018, 07:15 AM
Homer Bryce Stadium in Nacogdoches
What katss07 said.

BEAR
February 14th, 2018, 07:17 AM
Estes Stadium in Conway

Pros: small environment. The Stripes. Nice video board.

Cons: small seating. Food SUCKS. Poor Gameday planning.

bluehenbillk
February 14th, 2018, 07:24 AM
The Tub:

Pros: Sightlines & proximity to the field, best bathroom set-up in America, great tailgating

Cons: all bleacher seating (changing soon), older fan base, too many empty seats this decade

POD Knows
February 14th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Pros: Great Tailgating set-up, indoors, new video boards, loud, pretty decent highway access, bacon and pork chops on a stick

Cons: Too small, need another 5K to 10K seats, Not enough GA tailgating spots, no beer inside,

McNeese72
February 14th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Cowboy Stadium

Pros: Good seating with no track, good atmosphere, great tailgating setup, loud cannon, and new turf (starting with next season)
Cons: Scoreboard is starting to get outdated, ugly new (last season) handicap ramp down to the field in the north endzone, and not enough fans.

Doc

ST_Lawson
February 14th, 2018, 08:27 AM
Western Illinois University - Hanson Field

Pros: Beautiful location right in the middle of campus, east side (visiting & band) side stands are decent, concessions area and bathrooms on east side are nice, field turf, new "Rock" Hanson statue just outside of stadium, new video board and scoreboard work well
Cons: west side (home) stands are old and falling apart, track around field, nobody shows up, new video board is still tiny compared to many conference-mates.

Catamount87
February 14th, 2018, 08:28 AM
EJ Whitmire Stadium in Cullowhee, NC, home to the Western Carolina Catamounts
Built in 1974
Capacity - 13,742
Surface - Desso Challenge Pro 2 turf (2008)

Pros:
- Excellent parking that's close, easily accessible, friendly attendants and for visitors, free
- Gameday experience - very good to excellent tailgating often with a bit of a party atmosphere(especially in the fieldhouse lot with the students), great athletic dept staff and police presence that's not intrusive
- Beautiful setting with views of the NC mountains and it's just off the center of campus
- Seating is close to the field
- Paws Porch on the roof of the field house
- Enthusiastic band
- Great video board
- Great looking turf, in person
- Loyal fan base even when we've sucked

Cons:
- Built in 1974 with the only major improvement coming with the completion of the west stands and concessions area in 2003
- Press box from 1974 and no luxury suites, geez it needs a good coat of paint
- Small field house
- Turf looks a little odd on TV/video, mostly because of the angle of the sun
- Chain link fencing around the stadium

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27117&stc=1

VandalBasher
February 14th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies. After looking at the responses, we have many of the same issues (parking, RV spots, no indoor beer garden). The uniqeness of the Dome, you will find that our field goal posts are bolted to the end zone walls. Pro-Con? It is what it is.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 14th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Goodman Stadium Lehigh

Pros
- Awesome tailgating opportunities
- Has a FBS look/feel
- Permanent concrete structure
- The Bank seating
- Food options
- Back drop of South Mountain
- heated restrooms

Cons
- No Lights
- No Video Board
- Seats at 50 yard line are bit far removed from field
- Can be brutally hot early in the year
- Locker rooms need updating

Goodman turns 30 years old this year and does need some upgrades. Not having lights at this point is simply inexcusable.

Anthony215
February 14th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Lehigh (Goodman Stadium)
Pros: excellent setting, large parking area, good tailgating
Cons: far from main campus, seats too far from field, no lights, no video board

Pros: good setting, located in nice neighborhood, seats close to the field
Cons: lack of parking, poor cellular reception, limited visitor's side seating, setting sun issue for evening games

Penn (Franklin Field)
Pros: historic venue, good setting, good viewing angles from upper deck, good public transit access
Cons: lack of parking, lack of modern amenities, lack of restrooms, long walk up many steps to upper deck. That's my biggest gripe with Franklin Field lol. Besides the hospital parking lots there is little to no parking. Could also use some upgrades in restrooms

Villanova (Villanova Stadium)
Pros: convenient access from major road (US 30), good public transit access
Cons: lack of modern amenities, lack of restrooms, poor viewing angles, feels/looks like a high school stadium I would love for them to renovate the stadium removing the track and putting the rebuilt stands closer to the field. Where the Andy Talley Athletic Center is they could add premium seating behind the endzone.

Outsider1
February 14th, 2018, 09:57 AM
For us, the new stadium has been great. My input would be to reduce the size of the advertisements on the video board so we could actually have bigger video and to have a ticket office on the visitor side as well as home side so they wouldn't have to walk around and then back.

Anthony215
February 14th, 2018, 09:58 AM
The Tub:

Pros: Sightlines & proximity to the field, best bathroom set-up in America, great tailgating

Cons: all bleacher seating (changing soon), older fan base, too many empty seats this decade

I remember back in the 90's and early 00's where getting a seat was almost impossible now days you can sadly walk up and purchase tickets the day of games. Interested in seeing how the stadium renovations change attendance. Altering the Nova/JMU games where you get 1 of those teams every year at Home also helps with attendance as Rhode Island, Maine & the NY schools aren't going to really bring large crowds which means the students, alumni and Delaware community have to make up for the traveling parties light numbers.

Silenoz
February 14th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Cons: Mascots on motorcycles crashing into everyone, sky divers falling on your children, no beer, the old woman who yells at every flag despite not knowing how the game of football works, the product on the field
Pros: Everything else

DFW HOYA
February 14th, 2018, 10:52 AM
Cooper Field

Pros: Not on a roof?
Cons: I've discussed them before...

Bisonator
February 14th, 2018, 12:58 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/2009-0518-Fargodome.jpg/1200px-2009-0518-Fargodome.jpg

http://images.panoramas.com/media/catalog/product/n/d/ndsu4f_1.jpg

The fabulous Fargodome! #notadome #notastadium

Pros: It's indoors so it's always dry and 70 inside. Great atmosphere and home field advantage. It's on campus. It's paid for and no rent.

Cons: It's indoors so can't enjoy watching a game in nice fall weather. It's too small, could use another 10k seats but it's not expandable.

Silenoz
February 14th, 2018, 03:34 PM
All Bison fans forget a few

Con: JBB is housed somewhere inside

Fordham
February 14th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Pros: on campus, good tailgating

Cons: stands on one side and a capacity smaller than my hs field.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/college-football-scenic-view-of-jack-coffey-field-grandstand-during-picture-id454556815?k=6&m=454556815&s=612x612&w=0&h=9dOiQUjPL6pndx62qrE7K0m60lGNQMgwA21A-ZNYukc=

ASU33
February 14th, 2018, 06:19 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27112&stc=1

Pros: Or stadium is a little over 5 years old, it is state of the art and had a lot of amenities to enhance the gameday experience from the TVs in the concourse which show the game in progress to the digital scoreboards and tickers around the stadium.

Cons: Gameday operations for big games need to improve. We know that games against Grambling, Southern, Jackson State, Alcorn State, and Tuskegee will get over 20,000 so lets plan ahead. No need for half of the entrance gates to be closed for those games. This past year against Grambling folks stood in line 45 minutes just to enter the stadium due to half of the gates not being opened. Half the of the fans weren't able to get into the stadium until the 2nd quarter.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 14th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Pros: on campus, good tailgating

Cons: stands on one side and a capacity smaller than my hs field.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/college-football-scenic-view-of-jack-coffey-field-grandstand-during-picture-id454556815?k=6&m=454556815&s=612x612&w=0&h=9dOiQUjPL6pndx62qrE7K0m60lGNQMgwA21A-ZNYukc=

JCF isn't too bad given Fordham's location/typical attendance. If they would update the press box it would be perfectly fine. I kind of like looking out and seeing the game along with the hustle and bustle of the Bronx. I've been to Forham or games in '99, '01, '02 and '11. Each time was a cool experience. JCF has a weirdly cool character.

Rose Hill is much more of an issue imo.

Son of Eli
February 14th, 2018, 06:55 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27113&stc=1 Yale Bowl

Pros: Historic Landmark, no obstructed views, plenty of parking for tailgating, capacity so big it never sells out

Cons: so big that a good FCS sized crowd appears small, sidelines are too big which make seats far away from the field, bathrooms located outside of stadium, no video scoreboard, no lights.

Lion1983
February 14th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Braly Stadium (Florence Alabama)

Pros- can get very loud even though it just seats a little over 14k.

Has room to grow.

Cons- very outdated. Needs to be brought up to date in the worst way.

Parking can be hard. People complain when they have to walk 2 or 3 blocks to get to the stadium. (I have had to walk a few miles at other stadiums)

It's a shared facility with the local high school.

Added pro- should be packed to the gills for certain games against Alabama A&M and JSU (should they ever come back to Florence)

Go Green
February 14th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Penn (Franklin Field)

Cons: lack of parking, lack of modern amenities, lack of restrooms, long walk up many steps to upper deck

Lack of people.

Go Green
February 14th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Cooper Field

Pros: Not on a roof?

Arguably closest you can get to the action. I've listened in on team meetings from the railing many times.

Go Green
February 14th, 2018, 07:47 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27113&stc=1 Yale Bowl

Cons: so big that a good FCS sized crowd appears small, sidelines are too big which make seats far away from the field, bathrooms located outside of stadium, no video scoreboard, no lights.

Unless there were major upgrades that I don't know about recently, most agree that the Bowl is in dilapidated condition. The picture you posted does not reflect what I understand to be reality.

Go Green
February 14th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Memorial Field (Hanover, NH)

Pros: Terrific surrounding environment in fall. On-campus facility. Historic and picturesque venue.

Cons: Small (albeit appropriate). Not enclosed. Sun favoring visitors' side can be a problem late season. And it can get cold in New Hampshire in November.

Son of Eli
February 14th, 2018, 07:54 PM
Unless there were major upgrades that I don't know about recently, most agree that the Bowl is in dilapidated condition. The picture you posted does not reflect what I understand to be reality.

The Bowl had a recent facelift. Over the last two years the seats all received a fresh coat of paint and the crumbling masonry has all been repaired, so that picture is pretty accurate. The only differences are the field surface doesn't look so nice anymore and they now have a new scoreboard, but it's still not a video scoreboard.

Here is a more recent picture from 2016 as evidenced by the Team 144 logo on the field. Judge for yourself.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27115&stc=1

Tuna85
February 14th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Braly Stadium (Florence Alabama)

Pros- can get very loud even though it just seats a little over 14k.

Has room to grow.

Cons- very outdated. Needs to be brought up to date in the worst way.

Parking can be hard. People complain when they have to walk 2 or 3 blocks to get to the stadium. (I have had to walk a few miles at other stadiums)

It's a shared facility with the local high school.

Added pro- should be packed to the gills for certain games against Alabama A&M and JSU (should they ever come back to Florence)

One more pro; real honest to goodness LIONS on the sideline!

Son of Eli
February 14th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Memorial Field (Hanover, NH)

Pros: Terrific surrounding environment in fall. On-campus facility. Historic and picturesque venue.

Cons: Small (albeit appropriate). Not enclosed. Sun favoring visitors' side can be a problem late season. And it can get cold in New Hampshire in November.

Here's a picture of Memorial Field when they uncharacteristically drew over 11,000. Bet you can guess what team they were playing here. Hint, I was at this game in 2015.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27114&stc=1

mmiller_34
February 14th, 2018, 08:57 PM
https://i.vimeocdn.com/video/642305438_780x439.jpg

Dana J Dykhouse Stadium, Brookings, South Dakota

Pros: It is new

Cons: Our fans don’t come to cold weather games.

Redbird 4th & short
February 14th, 2018, 09:33 PM

You stole my top pro and top con !!

ISUr Hancock Stadium .. now referred to as Hancock 2.0 after away/east side was demolished and we spent 25m to create a new home side with luxury suites, banquet halls, much nicer bathrooms and concessions, other amenities

Pro's:
1. completely new construction in 2013 for east side (above) and it is phase 1, so future plans are in place to expand as need arises .. old east side was an absolute embarrassment
2. new jumbotron in 2014 .. previous sound system consisted of 2 huge speakers literally bungee corded together on a card table below the old janky score board and it crackled badly .. not kidding
3. tailgating experience is impressive .. hard to get them into games.
4. Big Red Marching Machine (i.e. marching band) .. school is very proud of their marching band
5. mascot Reggie Redbird .. all around well done; great personality and fans love him.
6. school finally breaking out of the funk in 2009 and getting serious about supporting the football program .. it was pathetic 50 year run

Con's:
1. fair weather fans .. Good news ... slowly improving, but still pathetic at times .. drew 11,400 per game this year .. highest in Spack tenure and we only went 6-5 this year.
2. turf is near end of it's life .. looks really bad some games depending on weather; Good news ... already slated to get new turf after spring ball ends
3. no suitable indoor facility .. Horton field house is terrible surface and not particularly advantageous for football. Good news .... there is fund raising drive for several key initiatives - multippurpose indoor facility is on short list
4. Town police think they are running a Nazi state .. rediculously looking to bilk fines out of student population .. minor driving, jaywalking during school hours, underage drinking including during tailgating hours, actually ticketing "designated drivers for unlawfully operating as taxi service ... think about the last one .. discouraging designated drivers ?????? Study was done by school newspaper and their ticketing rates with fines are off the charts.

Lion1983
February 14th, 2018, 10:16 PM
One more pro; real honest to goodness LIONS on the sideline!

Can't believe I left that out. I'm ashamed.

McNeese75
February 14th, 2018, 10:31 PM
Cowboy Stadium

Pros: Good seating with no track, good atmosphere, great tailgating setup, loud cannon, and new turf (starting with next season)
Cons: Scoreboard is starting to get outdated, ugly new (last season) handicap ramp down to the field in the north endzone, and not enough fans.

Doc

Biggest Con for sure

Thumper 76
February 14th, 2018, 10:56 PM

I would also add:

Pro: No track, can get very loud. Great parking and tailgating

Con: no video board or scoreboard on the north end. Horrendous fan turnout for playoffs. Overbearing University police.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
February 14th, 2018, 11:42 PM

Why didnt you build a dome? And I am being serious.

Thumper 76
February 15th, 2018, 12:43 AM

Easy. Money. We needed some sort of a track facility and indoor training area for softball and baseball so the SJAC happened. The cost of a dome would be exponentially higher and after what it cost for the SJAC it wouldn’t work.

Also, if we built a dome it’s pretty fair to assume it would be considerably smaller. Even a 15k stadium would be woefully undersized for a new stadium to be built at IMO. A 15k capacity stadium would have been under what the record crowd at CAS was. To build a stadium that won’t even hold what the old dilapidated one was able to would be incredibly short sighted in my book. Average attendance this year in the regular season was around 13.5k or so, and that’s including the worst attended Hobo Day game I’ve ever witnessed personally. Since the jump to FCS SDSU football attendance has over doubled. When your building a stadium you can’t build it for right now, you build it for the future. I think I went back and looked a while ago and the crowds at the DJD aren’t much different from the crowds at the Fargodome when it was new. Yeah it was DII but SDSU doesn’t have a passel of natty trophy’s that had already happened to have a tradition like ndsu has and had when they built the dome.

There is also no way in hell that SDSU would be able to get Brookings to pamper them like Fargo with the dome simply because Brookings is far to small to be able to afford to justify that size of an expense when they already have an event center that’s appropriate size for the town. The expense of a dome for 5-7 games a year is way too much for the size that SDSU would need.

And with myself being from WI I’ve had a natural disdain for domes and would hate having one personally. I understand why people have them but I hate them with a passion. That’s just me though :D

GAD
February 17th, 2018, 07:17 AM
AW Mumford
Pros:New field turf, weight room, locker room, Jumbo tron, Best tailgating in FCS, Best band, huge loyal record setting fan base

Cons:Track, less than 10 miles from LSU Tiger Stadium

Panther88
February 17th, 2018, 08:10 AM
Prairie View’s pros: super nice venue & has state of the art/updated amenities.

Cons: game day operations are atrocious, from varying ticket prices, varying parking prices for a same lot lol, to ticket taking and stadium check-in. The worst I have ever seen at all levels in over 30+ years xsmhx . Gameday parking is atrocious. Zero thought to rationale of erecting a 15K expandable to 33K stadium and attached a parking lot that holds a maximum of 200 vehicles, literally xsmhx . Intra-fighting over parking revenue generated: aux svcs or athletics... that generates a surplus of parking revenue due to an athletic event. Pitiful.

ASU33
February 17th, 2018, 08:34 AM
AW Mumford
Pros:New field turf, weight room, locker room, Jumbo tron, Best tailgating in FCS, Best band, huge loyal record setting fan base

Cons:Track, less than 10 miles from LSU Tiger Stadium

I'll put the tailgating and women of SU up as a HUGE pro again!

TennBison
February 17th, 2018, 08:44 AM
​The extra $100.00 would have put them over budget.

Tuna85
February 17th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Can't believe I left that out. I'm ashamed.

I was a nighttime MBA commuter student in 1983 when I first learned of the lion, back then we only had one. My class was in Keller and the prof was lecturing when I heard this really strange loud sound coming in through the window. It was Leo (the one from that era) warming up for a roar.
There are no greater mascots than Leo and Una and they are well cared for. Visiting fans should make it a point to check out their on campus habitat.
I take pride in how the students, alumni, and fans pass the Lion banks at every game to contribute to their upkeep and care.

mmiller_34
February 17th, 2018, 09:14 PM

Our fans still wouldn’t go to cold weather games.

You have to get in a car and drive in cold weather, and park in cold weather, then walk to the gate in cold weather.

Also, students would still have to walk two blocks in cold weather.

Our fans are a D- and only reason it’s not an F is because of the few of us that post here.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTF-XV0bEmc0pmbfZ9QE_QlkbO_EaYQeyCXqUqtBUAZzpTcb4cV

McNeese72
February 17th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Cowboy Stadium as of yesterday afternoon.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27126&stc=1

Doc

Lion1983
February 17th, 2018, 10:43 PM

Doc

Gettin a new sprinkler system?

NY Crusader 2010
February 17th, 2018, 10:55 PM

And the only difference between paying for General Admission and "Premium" seating at the Yale Bowl is sitting on the opposite side of a rope along each 35 yard line. Maybe put padded chair backs in somewhere. Or just charge one standard admission for games against not-Harvard -- there's PLENTY of room for 10,000 people to sit between the 35's in a 70,000 seat stadium.

NY Crusader 2010
February 17th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Fitton Field Worcester, MA -- 23,000 capacity

Pros - Natural Grass Turf, Excellent Site Lines, First Row Right on top of the field, solid tailgating experience, students can walk DOWNHILL to the game
Cons - Concessions Poor - Infamous Boiled Hot Dogs, Not ADA accessible, Locker Rooms a Disgrace

carney2
February 18th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Pros: good setting, located in nice neighborhood, seats close to the field, on campus, video scoreboard, good sightlines
Cons: lack of parking, poor cellular reception, limited visitor's side seating*, setting sun issue for evening games, scoreboard tilted towards home stands

*Not a serious issue other than the Lehigh game in odd years.

TennBison
February 18th, 2018, 11:52 AM

DocThat is a terrible stadium, the field is in bad shape, no grass, and you can't even see any of the lines on the field. Someone should complain. And you have to run around large piles of dirt and construction materials, someone needs to lose their job.

- - - Updated - - -

DocThat is a terrible stadium, the field is in bad shape, no grass, and you can't even see any of the lines on the field. Someone should complain. And you have to run around large piles of dirt and construction materials, someone needs to lose their job.

Tuna85
February 18th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Doc

Y'all putting in new sod or going with turf?

Catbooster
February 18th, 2018, 04:55 PM

Doc
New drainage system as well as playing surface?

TheKingpin28
February 18th, 2018, 05:17 PM
That is a terrible stadium, the field is in bad shape, no grass, and you can't even see any of the lines on the field. Someone should complain. And you have to run around large piles of dirt and construction materials, someone needs to lose their job.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a terrible stadium, the field is in bad shape, no grass, and you can't even see any of the lines on the field. Someone should complain. And you have to run around large piles of dirt and construction materials, someone needs to lose their job. That sounded like what used to be CAS at SDSU on a good day.

Grizzlies82
February 18th, 2018, 06:20 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/2009-0518-Fargodome.jpg/1200px-2009-0518-Fargodome.jpg

http://images.panoramas.com/media/catalog/product/n/d/ndsu4f_1.jpg

The fabulous Fargodome! #notadome #notastadium

Pros: It's indoors so it's always dry and 70 inside. Great atmosphere and home field advantage. It's on campus. It's paid for and no rent.

Cons: It's indoors so can't enjoy watching a game in nice fall weather. It's too small, could use another 10k seats but it's not expandable.

#It is a barn. I've got one at the ranch too. Granted yours is nicer.
Realize that is a really nice barn in Fargo, but it is still a barn not a football stadium.

Bisonoline
February 18th, 2018, 06:31 PM
#It is a barn. I've got one at the ranch too. Granted yours is nicer.
Realize that is a really nice barn in Fargo, but it is still a barn not a football stadium.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27130&stc=1

kperk014
February 18th, 2018, 11:35 PM
Cons: UNA doesn't own their stadium which is a big drawback. Florence is a city full of historic districts which helps to restrict building anything, much less a football stadium. UNA tried to buy Braly Stadium and the adjoining property in order to begin much needed updates to Braly and would have provided a large parking area. As always, Florence had to be a dick and refused so they could build a junior high school there when there were other places they could have used. Schools are acceptable to communities. Football stadiums aren't.

Pros: Braly seats 14,000 and can be expanded and updated but UNA probably doesn't want to pour money into a stadium they don't own and still be jerked around by the city. Our hopes are pinned to the new regional hospital's completion which could signal the destruction of the aging ECM complex. This would open up a tract of land that already has a large parking deck and many other parking lots and it is only a few blocks from the school. The wait continues.

D-town
February 18th, 2018, 11:44 PM
Why didnt you build a dome? And I am being serious. I spoke to a parent of one the football coaches at the 2013 NAU playoff game and ask why not build a dome then and he said that SDSU figured the SJAC and Stadium to be a tougher sell to the donors and didn't think it could raise the money for both as fast as the did. The SJAC was the priority and as it was built to provide much needed indoor training facility for most sports. I also feel SDSU was not going to build a dome because it wanted to be different than regional FCS schools UND, NDSU, USD and UNI.

Pros: New Stadium with great sight lines quality high end donor amenities. It has strong football support facilities.
Cons: concessions (Aramark) is bad, student have the worst seats in the place with the scoreboard and video board behind them, poor WIFI and didn't plan well enough to protect fans and support staff from the elements.

lionsrking2
February 19th, 2018, 12:39 AM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Strawberry Stadium

Pros: 1937 brick and concrete stadium with throwback charm ... good setting, located on south edge of campus, near residential neighborhood, lots of trees and landscape nearby ... tailgate area centralized in Friendship Circle, located just to the north and east of the stadium, makes for great tailgate atmosphere, short walk to stadium ... easy parking access with adjoining parking garage on the west stadium side ... great place to watch a game with steep slope, makes for good sight lines, close to the action with no surrounding track ... nice club and suite area for donors and club seat holders.

Cons: Only has 7,500 permanent seats ... chairback seating needs to be replaced. Concessions are solid but could be improved.

https://www.lionsports.net/images/2014/10/27//stadium_fb_2013_action2_clr.jpg
http://www.lionsports.net/images/2015/9/24//stadium_action1_vs_fit_web.jpg?width=600&height=360&mode=crop
https://www.lionsports.net/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2011/11/10//110511_0501.JPG
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DKa7IR_VYAA_QHu.jpg
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Lb2ockXkyWo/maxresdefault.jpg
http://media7.trover.com/T/52c8361526c48d66d70001ac/fixedw_large_4x.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFqyUlnXcAIUOWL.jpg
https://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Strawberry-Stadium-Entrance.jpg
https://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Strawberry-Stadium-Exterior.jpg

lionsrking2
February 19th, 2018, 01:09 AM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Strawberry Stadium

Pros: 1937 Depression Era brick and concrete stadium with throwback charm ... good setting, located on south edge of campus, near residential neighborhood, lots of trees and landscape nearby ... tailgate area centralized in Friendship Circle, located just to the north and east of the stadium, makes for great tailgate atmosphere, short walk to stadium ... easy parking access with adjoining parking garage on the west stadium side ... great place to watch a game with steep slope, makes for good sight lines, close to the action with no surrounding track ... nice club and suite area for donors and club seat holders.

Cons: Only has 7,500 permanent seats ... chairback seating needs to be replaced. Concessions are solid but could be improved.

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2015/9/24//stadium_action1_vs_fit_web.jpg?width=600&height=360&mode=crop
https://www.lionsports.net/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_id=0&image_path=/images/2011/11/10//110511_0501.JPG
https://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Strawberry-Stadium-Entrance.jpg
https://stadiumjourney.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Strawberry-Stadium-Exterior.jpg

McNeese72
February 19th, 2018, 08:17 AM
New drainage system as well as playing surface?

New drainage and new turf.

http://www.mcneesesports.com/news/2018/2/6/football-louis-bonnette-field-at-cowboy-stadium-getting-amakeover.aspx

http://www.hellasconstruction.com/Products/Turf/

http://www.matrix-turf.com/?_ga=2.24428478.547405045.1519049757-1775142853.1517931768

Doc

Tuna85
February 19th, 2018, 09:17 AM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

Strawberry Stadium

Pros: 1937 Depression Era brick and concrete stadium with throwback charm ... good setting, located on south edge of campus, near residential neighborhood, lots of trees and landscape nearby ... tailgate area centralized in Friendship Circle, located just to the north and east of the stadium, makes for great tailgate atmosphere, short walk to stadium ... easy parking access with adjoining parking garage on the west stadium side ... great place to watch a game with steep slope, makes for good sight lines, close to the action with no surrounding track ... nice club and suite area for donors and club seat holders.

Based on the pics, that's a good looking stadium. Based on the description, good planning on parking and tailgate area.

nodak651
February 19th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Imagine a clear roof like the Vikings stadium.

ST_Lawson
February 19th, 2018, 02:31 PM
New drainage and new turf.

http://www.mcneesesports.com/news/2018/2/6/football-louis-bonnette-field-at-cowboy-stadium-getting-amakeover.aspx

http://www.hellasconstruction.com/Products/Turf/

http://www.matrix-turf.com/?_ga=2.24428478.547405045.1519049757-1775142853.1517931768

Doc

Same companies we used when we did ours maybe 6 years ago. It's held up really well so far, I think. No issues that I've been aware of and still looks great.

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 19th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Short video of UMaine's field, 10 seconds of advertisement then 15 seconds of video- http://goblackbears.com/sports/2016/5/20/information-facilities-directions-morse-field-at-harold-alfond-sports-stadium.aspx

Pros-perfect size as max is 10K and average close to 8k.
Heated bathrooms
Free tailgating and so close you can go out for 1/2 time
Sell beer in the endzone
Cons-limited concessions, but isn't that why you tailgatexthumbsupx
Track on inside
Cold as heck in November

bostonspider
February 19th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Robins Stadium, University of Richmond, 8,700 seats

Pros: On campus, appropriate size for university, beautiful. Good concessions, and views of campus.

Cons: Track around field, small size, no alcohol.

http://bcwh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/9606PAN-940x477.jpg

https://supertailgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Richmond-Spiders-2-e1503897786694.jpg

http://richmondspiders.com/images/2017/8/1/FB_SeasonTickets080117_Mainpic.jpg

kdinva
February 19th, 2018, 06:06 PM
I can deal with the track, but, yes, size......there are some games (JMU, W&M, VMI, maybe Delaware) that 12,500 seats may not be enough...

Pros: On campus, appropriate size for university, beautiful. Good concessions, and views of campus.

https://supertailgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Richmond-Spiders-2-e1503897786694.jpg

NorthChuckSouth
February 19th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Pros:

Cons: everything else

bostonspider
February 19th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Well Richmond built as large a stadium as the city would allow. If I had the money, I'd love to pay to have the track removed, field lowered, and stadium expanded down to meet the lowered surface. Add lawns for overflow crowds in the end zones..

ST_Lawson
February 19th, 2018, 09:18 PM

It might not be huge, but it's a really nice looking stadium. As bad as the field side of our "home side" is (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3826/19573855992_ea4c663984_b.jpg)...the back side of it is MUCH MUCH worse. There's a reason why you never see any photos of that side of the stadium. I'd give my left arm for your stadium (we'd never fill it anyway).

Bisonoline
February 20th, 2018, 12:01 AM
Imagine a clear roof like the Vikings stadium.

I would rather have a retractable roof.

BadlandsGrizFan
February 20th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Pros: Not the Kibbie Dome
Cons: We need to start winning again.

Derby City Duke
February 20th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I can deal with the track, but, yes, size......there are some games (JMU, W&M, VMI, maybe Delaware) that 12,500 seats may not be enough...

Our fans have plenty of room to fill up the Bridgeforth Annex...

nodak651
February 21st, 2018, 05:19 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27145&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27146&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27147&stc=1

UND Alerus Center

Pros:
Can get loud
Attached hotel/waterpark/2 bars
New video boards
Booze and beer
Suites

Cons:
Shallow seating angle
Gap between seating and fans
No end seating
capacity capped at 12,300
City owned
older locker rooms
Giant Alerus Logo/no school logo at 50 yard line

Vandal03
February 21st, 2018, 09:12 AM
Pros: Not the Kibbie Dome
Cons: We need to start winning again.

With a 28.6% winning percentage in the Kibbie Dome I can understand why that is a pro for the Griz!

Vandal03
February 21st, 2018, 09:19 AM
I enjoyed reading about the different FCS stadiums. Vandalbasher did a great job describing the pros and cons of the Kibbie Dome in his original post. When packed it is a fun athmosphete. It is great when the weather is lousy and gets too hot during early fall afternoon games.

JayJ79
February 21st, 2018, 09:30 AM
Cons:

that sounds... odd.

nodak651
February 21st, 2018, 09:42 AM
that sounds... odd.

oh... maybe posting in the middle of the night wasn't the best idea. fans and field.

PAllen
February 21st, 2018, 12:56 PM
that sounds... odd.

I blame low ticket sales.

Outsider1
February 21st, 2018, 12:57 PM
We really can't complain at all. You're not going to get any beer here, but other than that hey....
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27148&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27149&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27150&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27151&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27152&stc=1

BadlandsGrizFan
February 21st, 2018, 01:43 PM
We really can't complain at all. You're not going to get any beer here, but other than that hey....
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27148&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27149&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27150&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27151&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27152&stc=1

Looks like a nice Texas high school football stadium

cx500d
February 21st, 2018, 01:47 PM

It’s ok for a Texas high school stadium, Class 4A division 2 or lower.
Better than that place where the orange team plays though; at least there’s no track.

Outsider1
February 21st, 2018, 02:06 PM
It’s ok for a Texas high school stadium, Class 4A division 2 or lower.
Better than that place where the orange team plays though; at least there’s no track.

Completely agree, It is a nice FCS stadium, but many FCS stadiums don't match well to several of the high end Texas HS stadiums. The seating capacity at Shotwell stadium where we played for decades ( The local 6A, maybe down now, HS stadium where Abilene High and Cooper play) was 16,000. Wildcat stadium is 12,000 with room on the berm and south endzone standing. The difference is the field quality, locker rooms and amenities. Of course it still isn't up to par with the big metroplex $70 million plus HS stadiums... It still suits us well though for a school that only has a student body population of about 4500+.

Outsider1
February 21st, 2018, 02:13 PM
There is still a south endzone complex planned but have to finish raising funds.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27159&stc=1

Outsider1
February 21st, 2018, 02:24 PM
Many of the differences come inside with the level of comfort and electronics. Still not the best, but still nicer than what we had.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27160&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27161&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27162&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27163&stc=1

ASU33
February 21st, 2018, 02:51 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27145&stc=1http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27146&stc=1
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27147&stc=1

UND Alerus Center

Pros:
Can get loud
Attached hotel/waterpark/2 bars
New video boards
Booze and beer
Suites

Cons:
Shallow seating angle
No end seating
capacity capped at 12,300
City owned
older locker rooms
Giant Alerus Logo/no school logo at 50 yard line

Some helluva pros! xbowx

The Boogie Down
February 21st, 2018, 03:20 PM
Pros:

Cons: everything else

This thread is about YOUR stadium, not the Fordham one!

The Boogie Down
February 21st, 2018, 03:37 PM

Nice pics throughout the thread but man, this top Richmond one is legit! Classy, old skool vibe despite being relatively new. Camden Yards and other retro baseball parks come to mind when looking at that first pic. Oh and no offense to other schools rocking that mini-FBS type of look, but this one truly seems as if it was built for the FCS as opposed to trying to be a MAC clone.

IBleedYellow
February 21st, 2018, 04:14 PM
We don't actually have a stadium.

Good times.

Outsider1
February 21st, 2018, 10:52 PM
I love the look of the back of Richmond's home side. It is a cool old school look, classy!!

UNHWildcat18
February 22nd, 2018, 06:26 AM

This is the best stadium in the southland IMO. I hope you guys get that north endzone done, are they going to put seats in that addition?

Panther88
February 22nd, 2018, 09:41 AM

Heckuva’ nice fcs stadium, outsider1. Any plans to close the bowl in for expansion once acu bolts for the greener & more lucrative pastures of fbs? If so, what will be the anticipated fbs max capacity? Upper decking on the visitors side? etc

Lion1983
February 22nd, 2018, 10:18 AM
Heckuva’ nice fcs stadium, outsider1. Any plans to close the bowl in for expansion once acu bolts for the greener & more lucrative pastures of fbs? If so, what will be the anticipated fbs max capacity? Upper decking on the visitors side? etc

So, if someone builds a half way decent stadium, it means they are planning on moving to FBS?

ACU, FAMU, BAMA ST, who else?

I guess if Charleston Southern builds a new stadium, ACC will come calling?

UNA needs a new stadium, if it happens, I guess we will go to FBS.......

Why can't you have a nice new stadium in FCS and want to stay in FCS?

DFW HOYA
February 22nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
So, if someone builds a half way decent stadium, it means they are planning on moving to FBS?

This is exclusively a state school issue. Anyone care to guess the last private school that moved up to I-A? (Hint: it doesn't play in Div. I anymore).

Why do state schools want to move up and not private schools? State appropriations. A school like Georgia State or Appalachian State or Old Dominion is likely to get more coverage in the legislature to build enrollment and get "major college" infrastructure than being lumped in with lesser funded schools like West Georgia, UNC-Greensboro or Norfolk State.

fmftballmgr
February 22nd, 2018, 12:28 PM
Roy Stewart Stadium at Murray State

http://goracers.com/facilities/?id=86

pros: New video board, new led lights, inner workings (locker rooms etc) have been redone, New turf, best touchdown celebration in America,
Cons: One sided, steep, track around field, concession area outdated, IN KY where budget cuts prevent major upgrades with a major booster stepping up

Outsider1
February 22nd, 2018, 12:40 PM

1) We definitely don't need to go FBS and no plans to go there. 2) I doubt there would be any seats in the new additional building at the south endzone, just more facilities. 3) The field is as low as it can go because of the water table and since we only have a student body of about 4500, a 12k stadium is enough. I think if they ever decided to expand seating they could build a 2nd level on top of the visitors/students section.

Outsider1
February 22nd, 2018, 12:46 PM

pros: New video board, new led lights, inner workings (locker rooms etc) have been redone, New turf, best touchdown celebration in America,
Cons: One sided, steep, track around field, concession area outdated, IN KY where budget cuts prevent major upgrades with a major booster stepping up

The stadium could actually be pretty cool if the visitors side were to be built, even with the track around it. Right now you either watch the game or the cars in the parking lot.

grayghost06
February 22nd, 2018, 01:54 PM

I do like the Purina dog food checkerboards on the tops of the brick façade.

bostonspider
February 22nd, 2018, 02:22 PM
Not my stadium, but I think a shout out needs to go to the revamped Zable Stadium.

Pros: On campus, 12,700 seats, beautiful, historic, refurbished

Cons: Track, weird gape at 50 on visitors side, no beer..

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4230/35047123721_7beac654ea_b.jpg

http://wmalumnimagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/zable_4-820x546.jpg

bostonspider
February 22nd, 2018, 02:39 PM
I love the look of the back of Richmond's home side. It is a cool old school look, classy!!

Yeah the other side of the stadium, while still brick just isn't as impressive looking to me.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4767/38615191280_27c7e0d79c_o.jpg

kdinva
February 22nd, 2018, 02:51 PM
Aren't they going to "fill in" that old gap on the 50, and add a small 2nd deck in the next 2-4 years?

Not my stadium, but I think a shout out needs to go to the revamped Zable Stadium.

Pros: On campus, 12,700 seats, beautiful, historic, refurbished

Cons: Track, weird gape at 50 on visitors side, no beer..

https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4230/35047123721_7beac654ea_b.jpg

Panther88
February 22nd, 2018, 03:01 PM

I guess if Charleston Southern builds a new stadium, ACC will come calling?

UNA needs a new stadium, if it happens, I guess we will go to FBS.......

Why can't you have a nice new stadium in FCS and want to stay in FCS?

So, everyone’s end-game on the vastly superior fbs stage isn’t the end-be-all? UNT-Denton, TxSt, shsu, et al “local-types” are figuring it wrong for bolting to fbs eh? For us, our build has/had a destination.

I find it interesting that your list has FAMU & BamaSt, who both started paperwork to move up to the highest d-1 level for football. BamaST’s was talks fueled w/ fact finding/research for a few. (Prior to their build)

Panther88
February 22nd, 2018, 03:05 PM
1) We definitely don't need to go FBS and no plans to go there. 2) I doubt there would be any seats in the new additional building at the south endzone, just more facilities. 3) The field is as low as it can go because of the water table and since we only have a student body of about 4500, a 12k stadium is enough. I think if they ever decided to expand seating they could build a 2nd level on top of the visitors/students section.

Understood your points. Find it interesting that the same type verbiage was the order of the day when acu contemplated the move from d-2 to d-1. (Facility questions, financial support, enrollment support, et al)

ASU33
February 22nd, 2018, 03:32 PM
So, everyone’s end-game on the vastly superior fbs stage isn’t the end-be-all? UNT-Denton, TxSt, shsu, et al “local-types” are figuring it wrong for bolting to fbs eh? For us, our build has/had a destination.

I find it interesting that your list has FAMU & BamaSt, who both started paperwork to move up to the highest d-1 level for football. BamaST’s was talks fueled w/ fact finding/research for a few. (Prior to their build)

We've never filled out any type of paperwork to do anything. It was mentioned in a few board meetings and we had an off the record type conversation with the Sun Belt but we've never seriously looked at any type of move to the FBS level.

McNeese72
February 22nd, 2018, 04:37 PM

Aren't Texas high school stadiums bigger than that???

Doc

McNeese72
February 22nd, 2018, 04:40 PM
This is the best stadium in the southland IMO. I hope you guys get that north endzone done, are they going to put seats in that addition?

How many of them have you actually been to?

Doc

Panther88
February 22nd, 2018, 04:58 PM
We've never filled out any type of paperwork to do anything. It was mentioned in a few board meetings and we had an off the record type conversation with the Sun Belt but we've never seriously looked at any type of move to the FBS level.

I thought AlaSU spent a few shillings of silver w/ some type of exploratory/research type deal w/ seed $$$$ fronted by a local-type millionaire (during that Joe Reed fiasco??????).

ASU33
February 22nd, 2018, 05:30 PM
I thought AlaSU spent a few shillings of silver w/ some type of exploratory/research type deal w/ seed $$$$ fronted by a local-type millionaire (during that Joe Reed fiasco??????).

No. You're talking about Donald Watkins. Donald wanted the move for his own ego. HE spent money but never the school. The only move we've considered seriously was a move to the MEAC.

UNHWildcat18
February 22nd, 2018, 05:58 PM
How many of them have you actually been to?

Doc

Funny, this post pissed me off a lot more than it should have. I have been to none. In regards to my statement, it was based off of the physical stadium itself. Nothing to do with atmosphere, if they sell beer, if they have a piss wall, tailgating, fans, not a single thing. If someone, say sam houston builds a brand new stadium and I find it to be better in terms of physical design. I'd probably say now they have the best stadium in the southland. Are you Satisfied?

Lion1983
February 22nd, 2018, 07:04 PM
I guess my question was, If someone builds a nice stadium, why is it automatically assumed FBS is on their mind.

Panther88
February 23rd, 2018, 12:43 AM
No. You're talking about Donald Watkins. Donald wanted the move for his own ego. HE spent money but never the school. The only move we've considered seriously was a move to the MEAC.
That’s right. Watkins. I thought I read where he was fronting ~200K$ as seed money to get the initiative off the ground. (???????) The media print made it seem like it was a done deal w/ finances in place and soon to be fbs capable stadium being erected. Thanks for clarifying.

Panther88
February 23rd, 2018, 12:46 AM
I guess my question was, If someone builds a nice stadium, why is it automatically assumed FBS is on their mind.

Because it is the end-game for some. Our deal, just prior to our build and approved by our bor:

The construction of the new football stadium and athletic field house will directly address the above issues and further a long-term objective of the university athletic department to gain membership into the NCAA Division Football Bowl Subdivision. The new stadium will seat and help attract the number of spectators, attract quality athletes, and will provide a modern quality facility to allow PVAMU to better compete at its current level and in the fiture at the Division I level.

BisonFan02
February 23rd, 2018, 12:56 AM
On the topic of building stadiums and FBS.....the day NDSU builds a new stadium will be 100% because they are moving FBS. No playoffs, no need for roof.

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2018, 03:17 AM
On the topic of building stadiums and FBS.....the day NDSU builds a new stadium will be 100% because they are moving FBS. No playoffs, no need for roof.

Oh my, I would really be entertained to see the turnout for a November Tuesday night MAC game in Fargo after a couple years of FBS.

BisonFan02
February 23rd, 2018, 06:51 AM
Oh my, I would really be entertained to see the turnout for a November Tuesday night MAC game in Fargo after a couple years of FBS.

Didn't say it was happening....only that if it did, they wouldn't be expanding to stay FCS.

Derby City Duke
February 23rd, 2018, 09:20 AM

It is Olympic downhill steep -- attended one game there about 10 years ago. Tough to negotiate, especially going down. Would hate to do that in bad weather. Not long after we were there a friend's daughter fell down the steps and shattered her ankle and broke both bones in her lower leg...

Derby City Duke
February 23rd, 2018, 09:26 AM
Re: Zable Stadium @ William & Mary

The gap is the main stadium entrance; maybe they will redesign that whole side at some point, but I've always enjoyed the quirkiness of it when I've visited. Something about walking in and seeing the field stretch out in both directions in front of you.

ASU33
February 23rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
That’s right. Watkins. I thought I read where he was fronting ~200K$ as seed money to get the initiative off the ground. (???????) The media print made it seem like it was a done deal w/ finances in place and soon to be fbs capable stadium being erected. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah our stadium had nothing to do with FBS aspirations, it was about us improving facilities and getting games back on campus. We're not dominating the SWAC so FBS is nowhere in the picture right now.

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2018, 12:38 PM
Didn't say it was happening....only that if it did, they wouldn't be expanding to stay FCS.

I know, I just can’t see ndsu ever not having a dome anymore. Too many pampered fans now would throw a fit. Can you imagine, ndsu fans watching a game at 40 degrees? Perish the thought.

BisonFan02
February 23rd, 2018, 12:43 PM
I know, I just can’t see ndsu ever not having a dome anymore. Too many pampered fans now would throw a fit. Can you imagine, ndsu fans watching a game at 40 degrees? Perish the thought.

Usually don't have to. They keep winning home field advantage.

CappinHard
February 23rd, 2018, 12:46 PM

It's going to be epic... battling against Toledo for 3rd place in the MAC standings. Only 6k show up because the bandwagon has tipped over and everyone has fallen off, plus it's -2 degrees and windy. That invite to the Cheribundi Tart Cherry Boca Raton Bowl is going to be amazing though, and all of the proponents for moving to FBS will say "see, I told you this would be awesome".

Bisonator
February 23rd, 2018, 01:20 PM

What was the temp in Brookings last year?xcoffeex

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2018, 01:26 PM
What was the temp in Brookings last year?xcoffeex

What’s the temp inside your gym for basketball games?

POD Knows
February 23rd, 2018, 01:37 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWe played in colder weather than that in Frisco. Plenty of people showed up

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2018, 01:51 PM
We played in colder weather than that in Frisco. Plenty of people showed up

For the national championship game. Just don’t think that Akron at 7pm on a Tuesday is going to pack quite the same punch as a championship game with the fanbase after a couple years. Either way this whole debate is a waste of time. FBS ain’t happening anytime soon for ndsu with the way things are financially and for a conference invite (which your basketball team is doing you no favors for).

Bisonator
February 23rd, 2018, 02:01 PM

Lol I wouldn't know this year the team sucks so bad.xsmhx

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2018, 02:14 PM
Lol I wouldn't know this year the team sucks so bad.xsmhx

Don’t worry, most of our fans didn’t know what the weather was like for our last playoff game. And my memory is somewhat fuzzy tbh xdrunkyx

IBleedYellow
February 23rd, 2018, 03:16 PM

You mean like Frisco in January?

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2018, 06:18 PM
You mean like Frisco in January?
Like I said.....

For the national championship game. Just don’t think that Akron at 7pm on a Tuesday is going to pack quite the same punch as a championship game with the fanbase after a couple years. Either way this whole debate is a waste of time. FBS ain’t happening anytime soon for ndsu with the way things are financially and for a conference invite (which your basketball team is doing you no favors for).

TheKingpin28
February 23rd, 2018, 06:36 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt's basketball. It's not like it is a real sport anyways.

Panther88
February 23rd, 2018, 08:39 PM
It's basketball. It's not like it is a real sport anyways.

OMMFG!!!! :D xlolx

Thumper 76
February 23rd, 2018, 10:40 PM
It's basketball. It's not like it is a real sport anyways.

Ok hockey version of hispter soccer fan.

TheKingpin28
February 23rd, 2018, 11:46 PM
Ok hockey version of hispter soccer fan.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI do love me some Swansea City action combined with listening to the NHL Network.

Oh and don't ever call me a damn hipster again! You got it! That's like being called the Nickelback of AGS

Thumper 76
February 24th, 2018, 02:20 AM
I do love me some Swansea City action combined with listening to the NHL Network.

Oh and don't ever call me a damn hipster again! You got it! That's like being called the Nickelback of AGS

Snobby about beer and niche sports, the only thing your missing is the ability to grow a beard and some glasses xcoffeex xlolx

Anyways, whatcha gonna do, get a ladder to come up and slap me? :D

Bisonoline
February 24th, 2018, 02:36 AM
Snobby about beer and niche sports, the only thing your missing is the ability to grow a beard and some glasses xcoffeex xlolx

Are you saying he vertically challenged? xlolx

Thumper 76
February 24th, 2018, 02:37 AM
Are you saying he vertically challenged? xlolx

I’m just Frodo-ing it out there. It might go over his head though.

TheKingpin28
February 24th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI don't need a ladder. I'll find a way to fall off it. And nothing goes over my head, I have great reflexes unlike my brother, who is actually a goalie.

TheKingpin28
February 24th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI'm a Minnesota. Hockey is life, so here, it is not a niche sport. When we produce Team USA for the winter Olympics, not my words but others, and have over 100k fans show up for the Boys State Tournament, you can't blame us for loving the sport that we just need a sheet of ice to go play on, regardless of the weather.

Thumper 76
February 24th, 2018, 03:04 PM
I'm a Minnesota. Hockey is life, so here, it is not a niche sport. When we produce Team USA for the winter Olympics, not my words but others, and have over 100k fans show up for the Boys State Tournament, you can't blame us for loving the sport that we just need a sheet of ice to go play on, regardless of the weather.

There’s a difference between loving a sport and having to constantly talk **** about any others that happen to be in the same season and/or more popular. Hell I like hockey quite a bit more than basketball.

TheKingpin28
February 24th, 2018, 03:05 PM
There’s a difference between loving a sport and having to constantly talk **** about any others that happen to be in the same season and/or more popular. Hell I like hockey quite a bit more than basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkWhich is why I do not understand why you are trying to grind my gears since I know you enjoy hockey.

ST_Lawson
February 24th, 2018, 03:46 PM
I've tried and tried and have never been able to get into hockey. Too much like soccer on skates to me (can't get into that one either).

BisonFan02
February 24th, 2018, 05:49 PM

Midget pears tend to hate bball.

TheKingpin28
February 24th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Midget pears tend to hate bball.If you had gone to Hopkins High School, you would understand why I despise it. They only talk about that so it becomes an echo chamber.

kperk014
February 24th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Any activity where you can't use your hands isn't a sport therefore soccer isn't. Hockey is a GREAT sport. You've got swinging a stick like baseball, passing and hitting like football, wrestling, boxing, mma, speed skating, figure skating, all while a bunch of guys are trying to knock your block off. It's probably the most difficult sport to play. Just imagine if they had to start playing the other sports on ice skates. Haha. Only college football is still ahead of hockey for me. It took me 35 years to find out I love hockey and it's been that way for the last 23 years. GO PREDS!

ST_Lawson
February 24th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Any activity where you can't use your hands isn't a sport therefore soccer isn't. Hockey is a GREAT sport. You've got swinging a stick like baseball, passing and hitting like football, wrestling, boxing, mma, speed skating, figure skating, all while a bunch of guys are trying to knock your block off. It's probably the most difficult sport to play. Just imagine if they had to start playing the other sports on ice skates. Haha. Only college football is still ahead of hockey for me. It took me 35 years to find out I love hockey and it's been that way for the last 23 years. GO PREDS!

I have a huge amount of respect for the players themselves. What they are able to do is absolutely amazing. To be able to skate and shoot the puck the way they do is absolutely insane.
Doesn't change the fact that I've tried watching it repeatedly...Blackhawks in the championships...Olympic gold medal matches...it just doesn't do it for me. I can't seem to get excited about it like I do about football and baseball.

Ivytalk
February 25th, 2018, 07:00 AM
Pro: It’s a landmark old stadium. First reinforced concrete structure of its kind. Classic sight lines.
Con: Uncomfortable seats, lack of amenities.

TennBison
February 25th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Fargodome:
Pros- The Bison play there.
Cons- We don't have a home game every week.

TennBison
February 25th, 2018, 10:14 AM
I have a huge amount of respect for the players themselves. What they are able to do is absolutely amazing. To be able to skate and shoot the puck the way they do is absolutely insane.
Doesn't change the fact that I've tried watching it repeatedly...Blackhawks in the championships...Olympic gold medal matches...it just doesn't do it for me. I can't seem to get excited about it like I do about football and baseball.
The fact that anyone can score a goal in a game where the goalie (with pads) seems to take up 2/3 of the net is amazing. On the other hand, a sport where the goalie seems to take up 2/3 of the net and still manages to let in goals is pathetic. And I played hockey all the way up through the high school level and these days I don't care for the sport enough to watch it.

POD Knows
February 25th, 2018, 10:33 AM
Doesn't change the fact that I've tried watching it repeatedly...Blackhawks in the championships...Olympic gold medal matches...it just doesn't do it for me. I can't seem to get excited about it like I do about football and baseball.Have you seen hockey live, it is a completely different sport in person, I don't think it translates very well to TV, it is just to fast.

ST_Lawson
February 25th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Have you seen hockey live, it is a completely different sport in person, I don't think it translates very well to TV, it is just to fast.

That could be part of it...there's no way for me to see hockey live within a 2 hour drive of where I live. Actually, there's no way for me to ice skate at all within 2 hours of where I live.

POD Knows
February 25th, 2018, 10:40 AM
That could be part of it...there's no way for me to see hockey live within a 2 hour drive of where I live. Actually, there's no way for me to ice skate at all within 2 hours of where I live.Yea, I grew up in North Dakota but even then, the closest decent sheet of ice was about 45 minutes away, nobody played hockey in the area I came from, back then, the only real places in ND that played hockey was in the eastern part of the state, it was a big deal there and it is huge in Minnesota. I never liked hockey until my two youngest kids started playing it and I started to watch it live.

I have never been on ice skates in my life and very few people I grew up with ever skated.

slostang
February 25th, 2018, 11:11 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27182&stc=1
Cal Poly's Alex G. Spanos Stadium

Pros:
Beautiful location
On campus
West side and south end zone are new (last 10 years)
Great weather
No Track
Serve Beer

Cons:
East side stands need to be torn down and rebuilt
Parking is a long walk to the stadium

JayJ79
February 25th, 2018, 04:55 PM

hockey must not have enough standing around doing nothing for your tastes, compared to football and baseball.

POD Knows
February 25th, 2018, 05:00 PM
hockey must not have enough standing around doing nothing for your tastes, compared to football and baseball.Maybe some people don't require constant mental stimuli in order to stay engaged with something.

JayJ79
February 25th, 2018, 05:04 PM
That could be part of it...there's no way for me to see hockey live within a 2 hour drive of where I live. Actually, there's no way for me to ice skate at all within 2 hours of where I live.

are you no longer in Macomb? (just going off your bio). There are hockey teams in Moline (quad city mallards) and Peoria (rivermen)

katss07
February 25th, 2018, 05:10 PM
are you no longer in Macomb? (just going off your bio). There are hockey teams in Moline (quad city mallards) and Peoria (rivermen)
And its not like the Hawks or the Blues are that far away...

ST_Lawson
February 25th, 2018, 07:00 PM

Right...both nearly 2 hours away. I'll go that far (and further) to see a WIU football game, but for a sport that I don't really care about to watch a couple of teams that I have no connection to or reason to like?...nope.

hockey must not have enough standing around doing nothing for your tastes, compared to football and baseball.

It's not that, it's that there's so much back and forth with what feels like absolutely nothing happening. A guy has a puck, he passes to another guy on his team, that guy passes it and a guy on the other team gets it...repeat ad nauseam.

BisonFan02
February 25th, 2018, 08:11 PM
Right...both nearly 2 hours away. I'll go that far (and further) to see a WIU football game, but for a sport that I don't really care about to watch a couple of teams that I have no connection to or reason to like?...nope.

It's not that, it's that there's so much back and forth with what feels like absolutely nothing happening. A guy has a puck, he passes to another guy on his team, that guy passes it and a guy on the other team gets it...repeat ad nauseam.

Here's the deal with hockey...its alot like baseball and "soccer" where there is alot of nuance with the game that happens during play. Once you get a good idea of what to look for, it makes ALOT more sense (the "guy passes it to a guy. etc). Understanding the offensive zone/blue line, powerplays, line changes and matchups, etc.....its similar to managing a rotation for pitching, situational baseball, small ball...etc.

ST_Lawson
February 25th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Here's the deal with hockey...its alot like baseball and "soccer" where there is alot of nuance with the game that happens during play. Once you get a good idea of what to look for, it makes ALOT more sense (the "guy passes it to a guy. etc). Understanding the offensive zone/blue line, powerplays, line changes and matchups, etc.....its similar to managing a rotation for pitching, situational baseball, small ball...etc.

In that case, maybe I'm just not smart enough to "get" hockey. I don't really get that "in-depth" into any sport for the most part. A little bit into football, but for anyone who's read my articles about MVFC football and stuff, you know that I don't really know much about stuff like what defensive schemes work best against certain offenses...when to rush the QB...or the positioning of the O-linemen to best open a gap for a RB...for example. When it comes to football, I'm more of a numbers/stats guy...with baseball, it's more just seeing "my" team play well. But really, I don't pay that much attention to the nuances of the sport in most cases.

In my area, hockey just wasn't a "thing" growing up either. There was no place to play hockey, no place to ice skate...in fact as far as I know, nobody that I was friends with had ever even been ice skating before...I know I haven't. There also was no way to watch hockey on TV here like there was with baseball and football. There's no hockey clubs or teams anywhere close to here...Western doesn't even have a hockey club anymore (they used to, but don't anymore...had to play all their matches in Peoria anyway) and even when we did have a hockey club, I heard more about our cricket club than I ever did about the hockey club.

I guess my point is, even if I'd wanted to learn about, play, or watch hockey growing up...the opportunities just weren't there to do so.

clenz
February 25th, 2018, 09:54 PM
Hated soccer growing up. Enjoyed hockey but didn’t go out my way to watch it. Started going to USHL games and really likes hockey. A buddy convinced me soccer was hockey just outside on a bigger playing surface in terms of tactics and what not. I started watching it with the 2010 World Cup and really liked it. Found out in 2012 that club (team for you nonces) is more exciting than country because it’s guys that play together 10 months a year rather than a couple times a year with rotating rosters. By 2014 I was completely hooked. I watch more soccer than any other sport at this point. I’ve got my teams I follow and never miss a match for, and then I just watch other games of teams and styles that interest me. I “hate” rivals of my soccer clubs more than rivals of any of my other teams. I listen to 4 different soccer podcasts per week - which is like 15 hours a week between them. My phone screen and computer screens are soccer related. I’m up at 530-6 on Saturday and Sunday mornings most weekends to catch matches.

Soccer really is something that is MUCH more enjoyable when you know what your watching for tactic wise. However, t’s not for everyone. So be it. If you don’t like it I don’t care. Don’t be a ducking sick about it. If you do like it great. Don’t be a ****ing snob about it. Unless you like Arsenal, West Brom or Chealski - then you can **** right off.

Also, how can Widowmaker claim to be Minnesotan? I thought he was from Iowa and a master Iowa geographer?

kperk014
February 25th, 2018, 11:43 PM
The fact that anyone can score a goal in a game where the goalie (with pads) seems to take up 2/3 of the net is amazing. On the other hand, a sport where the goalie seems to take up 2/3 of the net and still manages to let in goals is pathetic. And I played hockey all the way up through the high school level and these days I don't care for the sport enough to watch it.

Yeah the puck is as big as a basketball, coming in so slow with no one there but the goalie. No one should ever score. You must have rode the bench. Haha

kperk014
February 25th, 2018, 11:45 PM

There's always checkers or soccer. Just kidding. When I go to Bridgestone Arena and Carrie Underwood or Trace Adkins or Amy Grant sings the National Anthem and that place gets to rocking, there's nothing like it! Closest thing I can think of was the mid and late 70s at UNA's Flowers Hall. The place was always packed for the big games. Capacity was around 3800 and we regularly got 5000 or more in there even though a few hundred couldn't even see the court. The noise in there was so incredible it affected the inner ear of teams who had never experienced it.

The most obvious example was an NCAA playoff game against San Luis Obispo. They may have been slightly more talented but as the game went on, the crowd went from deafening to insane and down the stretch, USLO's normally sure handed guards were stumbling and losing their balance and turning the ball over and UNA rallied for the win. Same thing happened to San Francisco State and Cal Riverside. The coaches for those schools said they had never experienced anything like that. But along came the 80s and espn and those kind of crowds and atmospheres became a thing of the past.

kperk014
February 26th, 2018, 12:12 AM
Hated soccer growing up. Enjoyed hockey but didn’t go out my way to watch it. Started going to USHL games and really likes hockey. A buddy convinced me soccer was hockey just outside on a bigger playing surface in terms of tactics and what not. I started watching it with the 2010 World Cup and really liked it. Found out in 2012 that club (team for you nonces) is more exciting than country because it’s guys that play together 10 months a year rather than a couple times a year with rotating rosters. By 2014 I was completely hooked. I watch more soccer than any other sport at this point. I’ve got my teams I follow and never miss a match for, and then I just watch other games of teams and styles that interest me. I “hate” rivals of my soccer clubs more than rivals of any of my other teams. I listen to 4 different soccer podcasts per week - which is like 15 hours a week between them. My phone screen and computer screens are soccer related.

Soccer really is something that be aimed MUCH more enjoyable when you know what your watching for. It’s not for everyone. So be it. If you don’t like it I don’t care. If you do, great. Don’t be a ****ing snob about it.

Also, how can Widowmaker claim to be Minnesotan? I thought he was from Iowa and a master Iowa geographer?

I don't believe I would compare the physicality of soccer with hockey. :D I'm not being a snob about it but I think the Simpsons had the perfect take on soccer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJu2qSJ9zno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLjJgqa5itw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBGs2TLHqJE

TheKingpin28
February 26th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Hated soccer growing up. Enjoyed hockey but didn’t go out my way to watch it. Started going to USHL games and really likes hockey. A buddy convinced me soccer was hockey just outside on a bigger playing surface in terms of tactics and what not. I started watching it with the 2010 World Cup and really liked it. Found out in 2012 that club (team for you nonces) is more exciting than country because it’s guys that play together 10 months a year rather than a couple times a year with rotating rosters. By 2014 I was completely hooked. I watch more soccer than any other sport at this point. I’ve got my teams I follow and never miss a match for, and then I just watch other games of teams and styles that interest me. I “hate” rivals of my soccer clubs more than rivals of any of my other teams. I listen to 4 different soccer podcasts per week - which is like 15 hours a week between them. My phone screen and computer screens are soccer related. I’m up at 530-6 on Saturday and Sunday mornings most weekends to catch matches.

Soccer really is something that is MUCH more enjoyable when you know what your watching for tactic wise. However, t’s not for everyone. So be it. If you don’t like it I don’t care. Don’t be a ducking sick about it. If you do like it great. Don’t be a ****ing snob about it. Unless you like Arsenal, West Brom or Chealski - then you can **** right off.

Just when I thought you had a decent post going, then you go and piss it all away... That is really a shame. I guess some people cannot agree to disagree and have to hold on to their version of the facts. Good for you though.

Grizalltheway
February 26th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Have you seen hockey live, it is a completely different sport in person, I don't think it translates very well to TV, it is just to fast.
Agreed, but it's a much better TV sport than it used to be with the advent of HD/higher frame rates.

BisonFan02
February 26th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Agreed, but it's a much better TV sport than it used to be with the advent of HD/higher frame rates.

Two words.......Glow Puck. xlolx :D

VandalBasher
February 26th, 2018, 12:03 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27182&stc=1
Cal Poly's Alex G. Spanos Stadium

Pros:
Beautiful location
On campus
West side and south end zone are new (last 10 years)
Great weather
No Track
Serve Beer

Cons:
East side stands need to be torn down and rebuilt
Parking is a long walk to the stadium

I went to see CP play Montana in 2010. The Griz had a nice traveling crew. I think the Mustangs actually won that game. It was a very enjoyable stadium due to the weather and the proximity to the field.

clenz
February 26th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Just when I thought you had a decent post going, then you go and piss it all away... That is really a shame. I guess some people cannot agree to disagree and have to hold on to their version of the facts. Good for you though.

There was nothing to disagree with. Your version of the facts was/is/forever will be demonstrably wrong with scientific backing.

clenz
February 26th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Lawson, you can get to one of the hockey games in less than an hour if you knock a half hour off of each side of that drive with where you’re starting your timer....

Just as a “time saving suggestion”.

ElCid
February 26th, 2018, 12:49 PM

I think part of the problem with hockey is some people cannot relate to it. Not all, but for many people, being able to play a sport, even badly can help them relate. A vast majority of people have never even skated. Therefore, they cannot relate to it. I have skated when I was growing up but I was never real good and I still cannot relate to it. People relate better if they can at least do it, even a little. Most people can at least throw or catch a ball, or toss a basketball, etc. You can almost compare it to golf in terms of ability. I have know very few folks who have never played or are really bad, enjoy watching golf on TV.

I am not saying this attitude is universal. But it certainly has an impact on general interest. I personally can't stand watching hockey, or soccer for that matter. I just don't like the flow of the play. It is monotonous.

clenz
February 26th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Football is a game that takes over 3 hours for literally 11 minutes of actual game play and of that 11 probably 9 is complete bull**** dive plays for 3 yards or incomplete passes.

I’ve stopped that “boring” and no action thing. About a year ago I took a stopwatch while watching a Saturday with of soccer and timed the “exciting” time - equivalent to actual game play in football. I averaged the 6 games I watched that day. Average time on attack was something like 17-18 minutes....or proportionally the same percentage as football in terms of game minutes but significantly higher minutes per completed contest as the average match start to end is less than 2 hours. Now, just as football that can vary greatly depending on league, team styles, game, etc... The average football game has 5 TD, the average soccer game has 4 goals. The only real difference is a goal is worth 1 imaginary point to 6 for football. There is also no equivalent for field goals.

The difference, as pointed out, is that soccer is far more nuanced than football. It’s not always smash forward to score. Many times it’s pass the ball backwatds 79% of the field and then across he field 7 times to try to get one defender out of position for someone to make a run through. That’s not for everyone. It shouldn’t be. That’s okay.

I get why people don’t like soccer. I was one of them for 22 years. Despised it. I just learned to love the nuance of it.

IBleedYellow
February 26th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Football is a game that takes over 3 hours for literally 11 minutes of actual game play and of that 11 probably 9 is complete bull**** dive plays for 3 yards or incomplete passes.

I’ve stopped that “boring” and no action thing. About a year ago I took a stopwatch while watching a Saturday with of soccer and timed the “exciting” time - equivalent to actual game play in football. I averaged the 6 games I watched that day. Average time on attack was something like 17-18 minutes....or proportionally the same percentage as football in terms of game minutes but significantly higher minutes per completed contest as the average match start to end is less than 2 hours. Now, just as football that can vary greatly depending on league, team styles, game, etc... The average football game has 5 TD, the average soccer game has 4 goals. The only real difference is a goal is worth 1 imaginary point to 6 for football. There is also no equivalent for field goals.

The difference, as pointed out, is that soccer is far more nuanced than football. It’s not always smash forward to score. Many times it’s pass the ball backwatds 79% of the field and then across he field 7 times to try to get one defender out of position for someone to make a run through. That’s not for everyone. It shouldn’t be. That’s okay.

I get why people don’t like soccer. I was one of them for 22 years. Despised it. I just learned to love the nuance of it.

Your issues stem from your fandom *points at your signature*

CenMEBlackBearFan
February 26th, 2018, 02:32 PM

Agreed, but still the fastest game on ice and still 10 times better in person than on the tube. 20 year season ticket holder at UMaine and got to experience our two National Championships in the 90's.
Maine fans miss those daysxnodx

Winterborn
February 26th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Soccer is fun to watch, but it is even better in person. And if you thought certain football fans were dedicated, it pales in comparison to the soccer (real football) fans. My first game I attended (Hertha BSC vs I think another German team) was in Berlin at the 1936 Olympic stadium and will admit I had more fun there than 90% of the Bison football games I have been to. If I had to choose between attending US football games or a soccer game in Europe (money aside, straight comparison) good bet I would choose the soccer game. :D I got hooked on rugby early last year after two Kiwis explained the game to me and got me interested. I have been know to stay up for a game or two when they are playing now.xcoolx And like other said, certain sports don't look very interesting, until you start learning the details on how it is played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKFYTFJ_kw

BTW: Sorry for continuing the thread drift.......

clenz
February 26th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Rugby. Now there’s a sport

bostonspider
February 26th, 2018, 03:04 PM
back to stadiums... Here is what if I would do to Robins Stadium, if I was wealthy enough to pay for it..

As is
http://bcwh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/8201-940x477.jpg

As I would love it with removed track, lowered field, extended stands and endzones modeled on the "greek theater" on campus

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4710/26633123468_3c34100120_o.jpg

Here is the Greek theater..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/3538634869_d711f8c297.jpg

Bisonoline
February 26th, 2018, 03:21 PM
back to stadiums... Here is what if I would do to Robins Stadium, if I was wealthy enough to pay for it..

As is
http://bcwh.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/8201-940x477.jpg

As I would love it with removed track, lowered field, extended stands and endzones modeled on the "greek theater" on campus

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4710/26633123468_3c34100120_o.jpg

Here is the Greek theater..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/3538634869_d711f8c297.jpg

The greek theater is pretty cool.

TheKingpin28
February 26th, 2018, 04:41 PM
Soccer is fun to watch, but it is even better in person. And if you thought certain football fans were dedicated, it pales in comparison to the soccer (real football) fans. My first game I attended (Hertha BSC vs I think another German team) was in Berlin at the 1936 Olympic stadium and will admit I had more fun there than 90% of the Bison football games I have been to. If I had to choose between attending US football games or a soccer game in Europe (money aside, straight comparison) good bet I would choose the soccer game. :D I got hooked on rugby early last year after two Kiwis explained the game to me and got me interested. I have been know to stay up for a game or two when they are playing now.xcoolx And like other said, certain sports don't look very interesting, until you start learning the details on how it is played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKFYTFJ_kw

BTW: Sorry for continuing the thread drift.......A girl I went to elementary through high school, Katie Johnson, her dad founded the youth rugby movement in the state of Minnesota and I remember watching her at the Olympics and that hit she laid out for was amazing. The fact that they wear a mouthguard, nut cup, and maybe a helmet is bat **** crazy but fun to watch. I prefer 7s due to the pace of play.

kperk014
February 26th, 2018, 05:26 PM
Soccer MIGHT be fun to watch if they would shrink the cow pasture down to 50 yards x 30 yards so they wouldn't spend 5 minutes at a time loitering in the middle of the prairie.

A few years ago espn classic was going to show what's called the greatest, most exciting soccer game ever... the girls winning the gold medal and the chick tearing off her bra which raised my interest level so I decided to give it one more shot. After about 20 minutes I felt like Mick "Crocodile" Dundee in the hotel room watching I Love Lucy. "Yep, that's what I saw." Instead of turning off the TV I decided to watch paint dry.

I knew the soccer broadcast had EASILY been edited down to 2 hours. With less than 10 minutes left, I rejoined the "action" and was SHOCKED that it was still nil to nil. The tiny girls on that HUGE pasture bumped the ball back and forth for a bit, 55 yards from either goal, ending the game. Both teams then kicked it a few times, the chick tore off her shirt making the crowd go crazy, even the men (for different reasons I'm sure) except for me. I was disappointed. The greatest most exciting soccer game ever hadn't moved me.

Before anyone gets bent, that was all in fun and to each his own but personally, I'll never get the attraction for adults except for parents suffering in the heat, sitting on hard bleachers, checking their watches and praying for the final whistle. We will do ANYTHING for our kids who can't compete in football, baseball etc.

kperk014
February 26th, 2018, 05:33 PM

A girl I went to elementary through high school, Katie Johnson, her dad founded the youth rugby movement in the state of Minnesota and I remember watching her at the Olympics and that hit she laid out for was amazing. The fact that they wear a mouthguard, nut cup, and maybe a helmet is bat **** crazy but fun to watch. I prefer 7s due to the pace of play.

AGREED! The hitting of football without protection.

JayJ79
February 26th, 2018, 06:05 PM
A girl I went to elementary through high school, Katie Johnson, her dad founded the youth rugby movement in the state of Minnesota and I remember watching her at the Olympics and that hit she laid out for was amazing. The fact that they wear a mouthguard, nut cup, and maybe a helmet is bat **** crazy but fun to watch. I prefer 7s due to the pace of play.
she wore a nutcup?

TheKingpin28
February 26th, 2018, 06:08 PM
she wore a nutcup?No. I'm saying that on the men's side I know that is practically what they wear. It is literally a slugfest on who can beat on each other the hardest while collecting the most trys.

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 26th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Awesome drone shot of Goodman/their athletic campus and the surrounding area....
https://www1.lehigh.edu/sites/default/files/media/Campus_SportsFieldsStadiums_Athletics_Undergraduat eAdmissions_LehighUniversity1.jpg

Twentysix
February 26th, 2018, 07:51 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCliffnotes version: uni sucks and will always suck so **** football. xlolx

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

clenz
February 26th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Cliffnotes version: uni sucks and will always suck so **** football. xlolx

And this is why people hate NDSU fans.

Thumper 76
February 26th, 2018, 08:36 PM
Awesome drone shot of Goodman/their athletic campus and the surrounding area....
https://www1.lehigh.edu/sites/default/files/media/Campus_SportsFieldsStadiums_Athletics_Undergraduat eAdmissions_LehighUniversity1.jpg

That’s an awesome view.

Thumper 76
February 26th, 2018, 08:39 PM
A video tour of the DJD for those interested. https://youtu.be/JGhP5xKsgN4

Twentysix
February 26th, 2018, 08:52 PM
And this is why people hate NDSU fans.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLoooool the truth hurts ;)

clenz
February 26th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Loooool the truth hurts ;)

Not really. It just makes you look like a ****ing jackass bitch

ST_Lawson
February 26th, 2018, 09:26 PM

Yes...rugby...I can watch rugby. Not always sure what's going on, but I can watch it and enjoy it. I mean, it feels like I'm watching professional Calvinball (http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/Calvinball)with uniforms, but it's fun.

Twentysix
February 27th, 2018, 03:41 AM
Not really. It just makes you look like a ****ing jackass bitch

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLol relaxhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180227/cec964e474ab51aa6792b504a4c93635.gif

Gil Dobie
February 27th, 2018, 07:35 AM

More seats equal more parking. Lot fills up an hour before the game. If you are running late, you are on your own.

POD Knows
February 27th, 2018, 07:45 AM
https://www1.lehigh.edu/sites/default/files/media/Campus_SportsFieldsStadiums_Athletics_Undergraduat eAdmissions_LehighUniversity1.jpgGreat pic, is that a driving range up on the top of the screen and is that building the club house for the course?

ST_Lawson
February 27th, 2018, 08:31 AM

We have 10k we're not using...want some of ours?

IBleedYellow
February 27th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Loooool the truth hurts ;)

I mean, I said the same thing as you but I didn't say it in a trolling way. Tact isn't hard.

clenz
February 27th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I mean, I said the same thing as you but I didn't say it in a trolling way. Tact isn't hard.

For many bison it is.

Pop Tart can verify I roll with anti UNI **** better than anyone will roll with anti their team stuff, when it isn’t in a jackass way. Hell, I make more anti UNI jokes than anyone.

MrLahey
February 27th, 2018, 09:39 AM

Wow, this is awesome!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 27th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Great pic, is that a driving range up on the top of the screen and is that building the club house for the course?

It is Lehigh's golf practice center. The team plays at Saucon Valley CC which is one of the best pure golf clubs in the country. There's 3 excellent 18 courses and a short course. It's hosted the US Senior and US Womens Open fairly recently.

Lehigh owns an absurd amount of land. Their athletic campus is ridiculously nice. Very few fcs schools have the resources Lehigh has. But they're hesitant to really take advantage of it.

bostonspider
February 27th, 2018, 01:58 PM
How far is Lehigh's athletic campus from their academic campus?

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 27th, 2018, 02:19 PM
How far is Lehigh's athletic campus from their academic campus?

http://www.leo.lehigh.edu/LEO_weather_stations/lehigh_mon/topomap.jpg

Between the Academic/Packer Campus, Mountaintop Campus and Athletic Campus Lehigh's entire "campus" encompasses 2,350 acres. While it's split up into 3 sections it's actually one giant swath of land. South Mountain (on the right side of the drone picture) is why the academic and athletic campuses are divided.

CHIP72
February 27th, 2018, 08:39 PM
It is Lehigh's golf practice center. The team plays at Saucon Valley CC which is one of the best pure golf clubs in the country. There's 3 excellent 18 courses and a short course. It's hosted the US Senior and US Womens Open fairly recently.

I thought the only Senior Open there was in 1992. I'll never forget the name Larry Laoretti and his cigar.

EDIT: I looked it up - the Senior Open was also held there in 2000. The excellent World Golf Hall of Famer Hale Irwin won that tournament.

VandalBasher
February 27th, 2018, 08:46 PM
Here is a nice view of the Kibbie Dome with the campus in the background.

https://www.uidaho.edu/-/media/UIdaho-Responsive/Images/alumni/stay-connected/then-and-now/kibbie-dome/kibbie-dome.ashx

ElCid
February 27th, 2018, 09:52 PM
Johnson Hagood Stadium

Originally built in 1948, the home side was totally redone and opened for the 2006 season. The visitors side was demolished in 2017 so we have half a stadium right now.

Pros and cons are pretty subjective so it will obviously be my take and not how others may feel.

Pros:
- New - when I went to school it was 30 some odd years old and it was showing, but it is nice and fresh now. The new visitors side will obviously be new and up to date when completed for the 2019 season.
- Right sized - there was talk of greatly expanding it back in 2005, but keeping it in the 20K range was probably a good idea. Once they rebuild the visitors side it will be in the 14K range, but easily expandable apparently...we will see if we need it. All time record was 23K in 1992. We hit 20K+ once in the 2000s.
- No Track - always good
- Parking - Good, there are plenty of parking spots right up next to it if you fork out the dollars. The big less expensive parking is within easy walk...400 Yards at most.
- Concessions, the good - Generally ok. The did add a beer garden on the visitor side after they tore it down. Not sure where it will go after they rebuild it. Maybe on either side of visitors side. The food is nothing to write home about, but most folks tail gate and just need something simple during the game
- We have cannons - I know, not really part of the stadium, but they are part of the ambiance.
- Very structured pre game activities with the Corps of Cadets, not many schools march the entire student body onto the field before each game, and we have our Regimental band, when they let them play
- Outstanding scoreboard, when it works, there have been issues at times with at least the stats.
- Private suites on the home side. We got a Club Level where you can get tickets for 1 and up or you can get private suites for bigger parties. They are all basically sold out currently.
- Party rental areas on top of stadium with covered tents....you can see one in the picture below
- Location - It's in Charleston and butts up right against campus, nice views of the city in spots

Cons:
- Concessions, the bad- The bad part is they no longer sell cups of drinks, just bottles. I liked getting a cup of ice and soda.
- Video board on the scoreboard is a bit small
- Music they play sucks and is way too loud...distorted sometimes.
- The visitors side (not that I care too much) is an inferno in Aug and Sept, and even into Oct sometimes during those early/late afternoon games since that side faces right into the setting sun, the home side is ok after about 4-5 PM.

Aerial shot of stadium before they torn down visitors side.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27195&stc=1

Another aerial shot

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27198&stc=1

Front of stadium

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27196&stc=1

Artists rendering of new visitors side.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27197&stc=1

TennBison
February 27th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Yeah the puck is as big as a basketball, coming in so slow with no one there but the goalie. No one should ever score. You must have rode the bench. Haha

Everyone rides the bench, it's called a line change. FYI I was a starter 3 of 4 years and started and played in 2 state title wins in 1976 and 1977 for Brick Township (Green Dragons) in NJ. Played for coach Bob Auriemma (winningest coach in NJ high school hockey history). HaHa

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 27th, 2018, 10:54 PM
Here is a nice view of the Kibbie Dome with the campus in the background.

https://www.uidaho.edu/-/media/UIdaho-Responsive/Images/alumni/stay-connected/then-and-now/kibbie-dome/kibbie-dome.ashx

Great pic!!

I planned on driving from Bozeman to Moscow in 2013 for Temple-Idaho game. However, Temple lost to Fordham the week before and I scratched those plans (we ended up 2-10 that year). The head pro at the golf club I worked at went to the University of Idaho for their PGA Golf Management program so we had some good fun the week leading up to the game.

Winterborn
February 28th, 2018, 09:38 AM

Other than farmer should check his corn planter, the picture is nice! Especially cool that the university has that much land.

Thumper 76
February 28th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Other than farmer should check his corn planter, the picture is nice! Especially cool that the university has that much land.

Most Dakota/Iowa/Nebraska comment ever xlolx

Lion1983
February 28th, 2018, 02:46 PM

I was thinking that about the corn as well, from Alabama......

Winterborn
February 28th, 2018, 03:01 PM

You can take the boy off the farm but you cannot take the farm out of the boy. xthumbsupx If I planted a field and the crop came up that way, you cannot imagine the hazing and grief I would get. :D Especially if it was somewhere people could see it often. I have know farmers to replant a field just because a couple of planter sections quit somewhere and they could not figure out what rows needed to be redone. The extra cost and time was worth not having to put up with the neighbors talking about it at the elevator or coffee shop. Especially since it will probably never be forgotten and be brought up when one least expects it. xlolx

Thumper 76
February 28th, 2018, 03:37 PM
I was thinking that about the corn as well, from Alabama......
Well then you would fit right in up here :D

You can take the boy off the farm but you cannot take the farm out of the boy. xthumbsupx If I planted a field and the crop came up that way, you cannot imagine the hazing and grief I would get. :D Especially if it was somewhere people could see it often. I have know farmers to replant a field just because a couple of planter sections quit somewhere and they could not figure out what rows needed to be redone. The extra cost and time was worth not having to put up with the neighbors talking about it at the elevator or coffee shop. Especially since it will probably never be forgotten and be brought up when one least expects it. xlolx

Nothing wrong with making sure something is done right!

ST_Lawson
February 28th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Well then you would fit right in up here :D

UNA to the MVFC confirmed.

All states that contain MVFC teams are in the top 10 of corn production except for North Dakota (11th)...although Fargo is very nearly Minnesota (which is #4).
#1 Iowa
#2 Illinois
#5 Indiana
#6 South Dakota
#9 Missouri
#10 Ohio
#11 North Dakota

BadlandsGrizFan
February 28th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Washington Grizzly Stadium...its alright.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5TklPbmQ5mw/maxresdefault.jpg

https://missoulacurrent.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Griz-football-poll.jpg

http://www.visitmt.com/binaries/medium/content/gallery/MTOT/responsive/media-carousel-h/cities-towns/missoula/img_9847.jpg

JayJ79
February 28th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Yes...rugby...I can watch rugby. Not always sure what's going on, but I can watch it and enjoy it. I mean, it feels like I'm watching professional Calvinball (http://calvinandhobbes.wikia.com/wiki/Calvinball)with uniforms, but it's fun.

I was on a club team for a year and I'm still not always sure what's going on. (of course that's probably one of the reasons why I didn't play much. haha)

Winterborn
February 28th, 2018, 08:56 PM

Can't believe I missed this comment. We use Microsoft Lync at work and one usually sets their status to what location they are at or where they are sitting in the building (entire building is open seating: first come, first served). Well I have mine set to "Playing Calvinball", you would be surprised on how many comments one gets. :D

kperk014
March 1st, 2018, 12:07 AM
Everyone rides the bench, it's called a line change. FYI I was a starter 3 of 4 years and started and played in 2 state title wins in 1976 and 1977 for Brick Township (Green Dragons) in NJ. Played for coach Bob Auriemma (winningest coach in NJ high school hockey history). HaHa

And yet you can't understand how anyone scores because of those "big" goalies. Tisk tisk tisk.

Grizalltheway
March 1st, 2018, 09:10 AM
And yet you can't understand how anyone scores because of those "big" goalies. Tisk tisk tisk.

Reminds me of the old "why don't they just have sumo wrestlers play goalie?" question. xlolx

bostonspider
March 1st, 2018, 10:32 AM
Nice shot of Zable Stadium at W&M..

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXJy236WAAE0O9_.jpg

Outsider1
March 1st, 2018, 11:30 AM

Besides the track around it, I like it. I completely understand some places can't build separate track facilities and the stadium itself has a great traditional look (actually, the track helps with the traditional look). The scenery around is beautiful.

kdinva
March 1st, 2018, 12:24 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the need for FG nets (especially 5 feet from the field of play) if there are no end zone seats...

Outsider1
March 1st, 2018, 12:45 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the need for FG nets (especially 5 feet from the field of play) if there are no end zone seats...

I actually looked up some other pics of Zable stadium to see it more and it looked like they put end zone seating on both sides during games.

TennBison
March 1st, 2018, 02:06 PM
Those are crop circles, made by aliens.

kdinva
March 1st, 2018, 02:07 PM
I actually looked up some other pics of Zable stadium to see it more and it looked like they put end zone seating on both sides during games.

good point,,,,,,this photo could have been taken in the Spring....

WWII
March 1st, 2018, 08:56 PM
No. I'm saying that on the men's side I know that is practically what they wear. It is literally a slugfest on who can beat on each other the hardest while collecting the most trys.

Played for many years and I never saw a player wear a cup.

fmftballmgr
March 5th, 2018, 04:59 PM
It is Olympic downhill steep -- attended one game there about 10 years ago. Tough to negotiate, especially going down. Would hate to do that in bad weather. Not long after we were there a friend's daughter fell down the steps and shattered her ankle and broke both bones in her lower leg...

This is true also. No handrails on some of the aisles. About busted my arse on many occasions especially when i hit that loose step half way down

ST_Lawson
March 5th, 2018, 07:32 PM
This is true also. No handrails on some of the aisles. About busted my arse on many occasions especially when i hit that loose step half way down

It's not FCS currently, but MSU-Mankato's Blakeslee Stadium is like this too. Crazy steep. And for those of you who don't like tracks because of how far back you are from the field...how about stands that are so close that if you're not in the front row, you pretty much can't see any of the sidelines (especially on the home side). I've been there a few times and always felt like I was going to trip and fall right onto the field.

https://cdn3.sportngin.com/attachments/photo/6421/3039/unspecified_large.jpg