PDA

View Full Version : University of North Alabama's first D1 recruiting class

kperk014
February 12th, 2018, 11:15 PM
UNA managed to hang onto all but two in a large class of redshirts to go with the recruiting class. To offset the loss of the best receiver in school history, Dre Hall, UNA went tall with five 6-4 receivers.

Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown High School
Drew Beddingfield DL 6'4 230 Coxey, Ala. West Limestone
Jaylin Brackett DL 6' 225 Madison, Ala. Madison Academy
Chase Brown DB 6'0 161 Hoover, Ala. Hoover
Khamari Brown DL 6'2 280 Hoover, Ala. Hoover
Eli Cazola OL 6'4 265 Gardendale, Ala. Gardendale
Jakob Cummings LB 6'2 215 Auburn, Ala. Auburn
Jacob Gentle OL 6'4 268 Florence, Ala. Florence
Gerell Green DB 6'0'' 175 Birmingham, Ala. Huffman
Rett Files QB 6'3 210 Gulf Shores, Ala. Gulf Shores
Kadarius Foster DL 6'6 235 Roanoke, Ala. Handley
Davares Jones-Brown LB 6'1 220 Tuscaloosa, Ala. Central-Tuscaloosa
Ja'Won Howell RB 6'1 190 Lanett, Ala. Lanett
Takairee Kenebrew WR 6'4 190 Childersburg, Ala. Childersburg
Colin McCants DE 6'3 245 Baker, Ala. Baker
Avery Moates WR 6'2 160 Florence, Ala. Wilson
Tyler Price RB 5'11 200 Montgomery, Ala. Montgomery Catholic
Nate Reed DB 6'0 190 Florence, Ala. Florence
Corson Swan TE 6'4 215 Spanish Fort, Ala. Spanish Fort
Nate Thompson OL 6'3 300 Milton, Ga. Alpharetta
John Martin Wagner TE 6'4 220 Brookwood, Ala. Brookwood
Israel Washington WR 6'4 201 Franklin, La. Franklin

MID-YEAR TRANSFERS
Name Pos Ht Wt Hometown High School/Previous School
David Swen DB 6'0 185 Philadelphia, Pa. West Catholic High/Los Angeles Valley CC
Jonathan Fletcher DB 6'1 192 Tanner, Ala. Tanner High Sierra CC
TRANSFERS
Riko Morris WR 6'4 199 Ellisville, Miss. Crystal Springs/Jones CC, MS

UpstateBison
February 13th, 2018, 12:18 AM
I hope the S&C coach can put some weight on them.

Tuna85
February 13th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Noted several of the WRs and ATH also have played QB. Glad to see this after last year's attrition at this position. Sure hope we are good to go at that position this year.

JSUSoutherner
February 13th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Lots of Alabama guys on that list. Hope UNA can do something with them.

BEAR
February 13th, 2018, 09:19 AM

If I recall correctly they have tons of talent from those kids and used it quite well when we were division II and played them.

Good to see KPERK on the site now! Long time no see! I don't even remember my old d2football message board username..xlolx MIght have been ucabear there too.

Lion1983
February 13th, 2018, 10:56 AM

I think they can. Coach Willis worked on finding guys with longer frames so they could put on the weight needed for D1.

In the past, they may have recruited a 6ft 2 295lb and he was as big as he was going to be.

Lion1983
February 13th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I was told we lost a few top of the list recruits just because we are not playing for any championships for the next few years. Coach Willis is extremely optimistic about the future in recruiting in FCS with UNA. But I'm looking forward to this year. Roar Lions

Lion1983
February 13th, 2018, 11:22 AM

Hopefully we can. Should help attendance having that many in State players. Lots from North Alabama region too.

ASU33
February 13th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Hopefully we can. Should help attendance having that many in State players. Lots from North Alabama region too.

UNA is blessed to be in an area where there's so great high school football played. Just in the shoals area you have several high school programs like Muscle Shoals, Deshler, Brooks, Russellville, Florence and others who usually contend for state titles in their respective classifications.

Anthony215
February 13th, 2018, 12:59 PM
How long does UNA have before they're eligible for the FCS playoffs? If its only 2 years that should not have scared recruits off seeing as though they could have redshirted in 2018 and by their R-Sophomore year been competing for conference and national championships.

Lion1983
February 13th, 2018, 01:25 PM
How long does UNA have before they're eligible for the FCS playoffs? If its only 2 years that should not have scared recruits off seeing as though they could have redshirted in 2018 and by their R-Sophomore year been competing for conference and national championships.
4 years

ASU33
February 13th, 2018, 01:38 PM
4 years

Good job of selling by the guys who recruited these kids!

Tuna85
February 13th, 2018, 02:33 PM
4 years

Sure wish we had an FCS home game during year 1. Reckon we will have to make the Alabama A&M game suffice by bringing a huge crowd to Huntsville/Normal. Can't wait to get started.

Lion1983
February 13th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Sure wish we had an FCS home game during year 1. Reckon we will have to make the Alabama A&M game suffice by bringing a huge crowd to Huntsville/Normal. Can't wait to get started.
We should have a few good home games next year. Of course, don't know what the conference schedule is, but A&M comes to Florence, I can't remember on Western Illinois, and I think we go to Montana. Hopefully we can get JSU on the schedule starting next year.

Lion1983
February 13th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Good job of selling by the guys who recruited these kids!

Florence kinda sells itself. Kinda different here.

Wildcat1997
February 13th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Speaking from experience, the transition from D2 to D1 can be really hard on a school. Abilene Christian just got through with ours and let me tell you, it is a LONG 4 years. It gets easier as it goes along though. Good luck to ya'll and I hope you're successful!

Tuna85
February 13th, 2018, 05:06 PM
We should have a few good home games next year. Of course, don't know what the conference schedule is, but A&M comes to Florence, I can't remember on Western Illinois, and I think we go to Montana. Hopefully we can get JSU on the schedule starting next year.

We do go to Montana in '19. Already trying to figure out a way to get to that one. Pretty sure the Leathernecks are also '19 and, I think, '20. Not sure whose home and away when. Sure won't knock the home games this year as D2 teams can be very good. West Fla was definitely tough last year and had our number.

ursus arctos horribilis
February 13th, 2018, 05:06 PM
If I recall correctly they have tons of talent from those kids and used it quite well when we were division II and played them.

Good to see KPERK on the site now! Long time no see! I don't even remember my old d2football message board username..xlolx MIght have been ucabear there too.

He's been around for a while. I remember talking with him a few years back.

ASU33
February 13th, 2018, 05:09 PM
Florence kinda sells itself. Kinda different here.

Especially Legend's Steakhouse! xthumbsupx

Tuna85
February 13th, 2018, 05:10 PM

Would like to renew that old JSU rivalry also. I think we can develop a pretty good Big South rivalry with Kennesaw.

Lion1983
February 13th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Especially Legend's Steakhouse! xthumbsupx

Legends is good, used to be tops, but kinda hit or mis now. If you can't find something good to eat in Florence, your in the wrong Florence.

ASU33
February 13th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Legends is good, used to be tops, but kinda hit or mis now. If you can't find something good to eat in Florence, your in the wrong Florence.

Rick's is awesome too!

ST_Lawson
February 14th, 2018, 08:46 AM

8/29/2019 - WIU at UNA
9/3/2020 - UNA at WIU
Press release from our side: http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/6/19/wiu-football-announces-two-future-home-and-home-series.aspx?path=football
(http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/6/19/wiu-football-announces-two-future-home-and-home-series.aspx?path=football)
We apparently have a thing for directional Alabama schools coming up, with our FBS game against South Alabama in 2022 also.

kperk014
February 14th, 2018, 05:02 PM

Hey ucabear. It's good to FINALLY be on here as a member of D1. Should have been over 20 years ago but better late than never. I haven't been out to Arkansas since the GAC was formed. Maybe we can eventually get a home and home going.

kperk014
February 14th, 2018, 06:19 PM

This list is made up mostly of redshirts. Hoping all will be on board but you never know. They should provide a shot of size while the babies grow up. Most of them are 6-3 to 6-6 so they have room to bulk up even more. Ethan Orr was injured in preseason before the 2017 season. Hoping he will want to take a shot at coming back to play with little brother.

Wes Alexander FR
Offensive Line
6-3, 310 Leeds, Ala.

Brody Collier OL 6-6 295 FR

Adam Ingram OL 6-5 255 FR

Ben Berry 6-3, 290 FR
Offensive Line
Decatur, Ala

Jakobi Lewis OL 6-3 265 FR

Cade McGuire OL 6-1 270 FR

Ethan Orr
Offensive Line
6-6, 325
Fairview, Miss

Cameron Orr OL 6-6 280 FR- Ethan's little brother

Lance Kephart 6-4 260 Athens, Al FR

Tucker Walters OL 6-1 290 FR

David Woodruff OL 6-6 335 FR

Noah Stern OL 6-3, 290 FR
Huntsville, Al

Khadedryck Todd OL 6-4 295 JR

Colton Wadkins
Offensive Line
6-3, 315
Mobile, Ala.

BEAR
February 15th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Hey ucabear. It's good to FINALLY be on here as a member of D1. Should have been over 20 years ago but better late than never. I haven't been out to Arkansas since the GAC was formed. Maybe we can eventually get a home and home going.

You and Valdosta State. Oh I know we will eventually. I think our sched is book through 2022 unless someone drops off it. But after that...xdrunkyx

Mike296
February 16th, 2018, 09:50 PM
Wouldn’t mind seeing you guys come to Clarksville UNA fans, that’d be a damn good ball game

kperk014
February 17th, 2018, 05:20 AM
Wouldn’t mind seeing you guys come to Clarksville UNA fans, that’d be a damn good ball game

Yes, not a bad trip at all. The last time we played each other was my freshman year at UNA. We were 5-0 going into the homecoming game with APU. Unfortunately that was the beginning of a 5 game losing streak as the Governors won 13-7. It would be great if there was a conference containing all the FCS schools in Tennessee, Alabama and northern Georgia. Just think how great it would be to get to make every road trip with relative ease. That's the way you really get good rivalries started and good rivalries lead to big crowds which leads to better recruiting which leads to better playoff success.

Tuna85
February 17th, 2018, 09:20 AM
Yes, not a bad trip at all. The last time we played each other was my freshman year at UNA. We were 5-0 going into the homecoming game with APU. Unfortunately that was the beginning of a 5 game losing streak as the Governors won 13-7. It would be great if there was a conference containing all the FCS schools in Tennessee, Alabama and northern Georgia. Just think how great it would be to get to make every road trip with relative ease. That's the way you really get good rivalries started and good rivalries lead to big crowds which leads to better recruiting which leads to better playoff success.

Reckon the Big South offers us the next best thing as being small in number teams we have many OOC opportunities. Hopefully, as things settle in and we get past the time frames of already set schedules, we can have some home and aways within a 3 hour radius. The best thing for FCS, in this neck of the woods, are strong rivalries that will put fannies in the seats.

Mike296
February 17th, 2018, 12:55 PM

I think a Home and Home with you guys would be a good way to see how you guys do after the 4 year period as well as reigniting an old rivalry from back in the day. We’re on the upswing in the FCS and you’re just starting out so it’d be fun to see where we stand at that point.

ASU33
February 17th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Hopefully we can get UNA on the schedule soon. Alabama has 5 FCS schools now, no reason why we all shouldn't play each other on a regular basis.

kperk014
February 17th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Hopefully we can get UNA on the schedule soon. Alabama has 5 FCS schools now, no reason why we all shouldn't play each other on a regular basis.

Amen!

Lion1983
February 17th, 2018, 04:02 PM

All 5 should play each other every year.

Tuna85
February 17th, 2018, 06:40 PM

Agree 100%.

BisonFan02
February 18th, 2018, 02:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhczU2QdkWg

:D

Tuna85
February 18th, 2018, 04:08 PM

Ah, the olden days. We did much better in '93, '94, and '95. Not so much better in '16. Can't wait for September. Hope our teams can meet again for a Natty but, I reckon we have to pay our dues. Four years before we can even play for playoff eligibility. Meanwhile concentration will need to be on putting some weight on the bones of our tall recruits.

Lion1983
February 18th, 2018, 04:08 PM

What? Nobody ever said congrats?
Looking forward to (hopefully) making the trip to Fargo this year.

Cocky
February 18th, 2018, 08:47 PM
UNA is blessed to be in an area where there's so great high school football played. Just in the shoals area you have several high school programs like Muscle Shoals, Deshler, Brooks, Russellville, Florence and others who usually contend for state titles in their respective classifications.

On that subject, what is wrong in Colbert Co? Those schools plus Russellville have fallen off in the last few years. Colbert Heights was the class of the below the river area which isnt normal.

Lion1983
February 18th, 2018, 08:56 PM
On that subject, what is wrong in Colbert Co? Those schools plus Russellville have fallen off in the last few years. Colbert Heights was the class of the below the river area which isnt normal.

Not recruiting as much as they used to. Muscle Shoals does the majority of the recruiting in Colbert.

kperk014
February 18th, 2018, 11:18 PM

Recruiting. Muscle Shoals has gone all out to get as much talent as they can and it shows in their continuing upsurge in the last decade. They pretty much wiped out Courtland and Town Creek (Hazelwood) and Leighton (Colbert County High School) has been hit pretty hard over the years as well. Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s you could have taken the players from those three small schools and won state championships in just about every state in the country. I think Muscle Shoals is pulling players from Russellville as well.

BisonFan02
February 19th, 2018, 12:55 AM
What? Nobody ever said congrats?
Looking forward to (hopefully) making the trip to Fargo this year.

Haha, naw....just an early strike before the game and subsequent game thread. :D Looking forward to seeing another new opponent in the dome!

ASU33
February 19th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Recruiting. Muscle Shoals has gone all out to get as much talent as they can and it shows in their continuing upsurge in the last decade. They pretty much wiped out Courtland and Town Creek (Hazelwood) and Leighton (Colbert County High School) has been hit pretty hard over the years as well. Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s you could have taken the players from those three small schools and won state championships in just about every state in the country. I think Muscle Shoals is pulling players from Russellville as well.

Muscle Shoals hasn't sniffed a state title though. Dealer, Colbert County, and schools that are usually dominant in that area have fallen off bad!

UNAPride
March 1st, 2018, 07:01 PM
Fun to see a couple of old D2 buddies here!

Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out, especially during the transition.

Roar Lions!!

UNAPride
March 1st, 2018, 07:22 PM
Looks like Ryan Aplin has left UTC after one season to return to UNA as the new OC.

He coached receivers and was recruiting coordinator during the Lions' 2016 run to the D2 national title game.

http://unapride.proboards.com/thread/506/aplin-back-oc-campbell-dc

Corn_3024
March 3rd, 2018, 07:27 AM
Would like to renew that old JSU rivalry also. I think we can develop a pretty good Big South rivalry with Kennesaw.

Looking forward to it.

Tuna85
March 3rd, 2018, 09:01 AM
Looking forward to it.

Local site is showing:
UNA at JSU 2019
JSU at UNA 2020
UNA at JSU 2021
JSU at UNA 2022
Reckon we get our wish! Pretty sure we will bring a passel of folks. ROAR LIONS!

ASU33
March 3rd, 2018, 02:25 PM
Local site is showing:
UNA at JSU 2019
JSU at UNA 2020
UNA at JSU 2021
JSU at UNA 2022
Reckon we get our wish! Pretty sure we will bring a passel of folks. ROAR LIONS!

Smart move by both schools. Old Gulf South Rivals linking up!

Tuna85
March 3rd, 2018, 04:22 PM
Looking forward to it.

Corn, when I saw your username, well I thought your might be one of them thar gamecocks. Chickens like corn...and I just naturally thought... Well anyway, I see by your avatar that you are a different kind of bird. I look forward to when the Lions and the Owls meet on the field. Made a special effort to stream you folks during the playoffs. Pulled for the Owls being future stablemates and all. Been through Kennesaw many a time on my way to Atlanta. Very much looking forward to a football road trip to KSU.

Tuna85
March 3rd, 2018, 04:30 PM
Smart move by both schools. Old Gulf South Rivals linking up!

UNA and ASU are not old rivals (looks like we've never played each other) but I sure look forward a similar linking up with your team in the near term. Just a little ways up or down the interstate in Alabama. It should happen!

willsfc
March 3rd, 2018, 05:08 PM
UNA and ASU are not old rivals (looks like we've never played each other) but I sure look forward a similar linking up with your team in the near term. Just a little ways up or down the interstate in Alabama. It should happen!

Pretty sure he was talking about JSU. Very excited for the upcoming seasons!

Tuna85
March 3rd, 2018, 08:59 PM
Pretty sure he was talking about JSU. Very excited for the upcoming seasons!

Pretty sure he was too! My hope is UNA can develop a new rivalry with ASU as we are only a few hours apart by way of I-65.

kperk014
March 3rd, 2018, 10:44 PM

We played each other in basketball back in the day. It was a wild, high scoring, back and forth game. The Hornets had guy named Kevin Loder who was incredible! He was an NBA first round draft pick.

ASU33
March 4th, 2018, 04:53 AM

I was talking about UNA and Jax State.

Lion1983
March 4th, 2018, 06:29 AM
I was talking about UNA and Jax State.

I was keeping my mouth shut on this one. But I do agree with previous posts, ASU and UNA should play from time to time on a semi regular basis. I can't see the 2 becoming big rivals though. And you are correct, UNA and JSU needed to happen.

jsualumnus
March 4th, 2018, 06:31 AM
We JSU folks are excited about this one here! Glad it happened!

Lion1983
March 4th, 2018, 07:34 AM

Probably not as excited as we are. I just hope they are competitive games..... The last game wasnt.

Cocky
March 4th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Probably not as excited as we are. I just hope they are competitive games..... The last game wasnt.

If not at first, it will be soon. TUNA will be competitive as always.

ASU33
March 4th, 2018, 09:19 AM
I was keeping my mouth shut on this one. But I do agree with previous posts, ASU and UNA should play from time to time on a semi regular basis. I can't see the 2 becoming big rivals though. And you are correct, UNA and JSU needed to happen.

I agree. The state has 5 FCS football programs, so in my opinion we should all play each other. It just makes sense.

Tuna85
March 4th, 2018, 12:50 PM
We played each other in basketball back in the day. It was a wild, high scoring, back and forth game. The Hornets had guy named Kevin Loder who was incredible! He was an NBA first round draft pick.

Shoot, I've got to broaden my Horizons. I was thinking only of football. Excited about the other sports too!

Tuna85
March 4th, 2018, 01:00 PM

The feeling is mutual!

Tuna85
March 4th, 2018, 01:02 PM
I agree. The state has 5 FCS football programs, so in my opinion we should all play each other. It just makes sense.

Amen.

kperk014
March 4th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Shoot, I've got to broaden my Horizons. I was thinking only of football. Excited about the other sports too!

ASU holds a 4-2 lead in the series but two of their wins were by one point.

Here's UNA's record against other D1 schools, many of who were already D1 when we played them. UNA is 17-5 against A&M, 13-8 against Belmont, 6-1 with 20-25 with Lipscomb, 2-0 against Florida Gulf Coast, 0-1 against Iona, 39-52 against Jax State, 0-2 with Memphis, 5-12 against Middle Tennessee, 0-4 with Ole Miss, 0-3 against Mississippi State, 0-1 against Missouri, 10-3 with Nichols State, 1-2 against Northwestern State, 1-0 against Murray State, 0-1 against New Orleans, 1-0 against Sacred Heart, Sam Houston State and Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. 8-4 against SE Louisiana, 7-17 with UT-Chattanooga, 19-22 with UT-Martin, 4-5 against Tennessee State, 1-0 against California-Riverside, 1-1 with Tennessee Tech, 0-1 against Texas Tech, 35-24 against Troy, 0-2 against Vanderbilt and 1-1 with Wisconsin-Green Bay.

The game I didn't get to put in there. UNA was good enough to give big names a good practice and following the two games with Vandy, Jones continued to play top shelf schedules and were very successful. UNA lost by 30 in their first game with Mississippi State. The next time they played the Bulldogs, Gary Elliot was at the helm. The Lions lost by 6 to Jeff Malone (a 2 time NBA All Star who played 20 years in the NBA) and the Bulldogs so the Lions were rising.

A couple of years later the Lions traveled to Lubbock, Tx and stayed with Texas Tech for about three quarters of the game before the Red Raiders went on a run and a lot of free throw shooting. Word was out a game was in the works with THE Big John Thompson, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning and the Georgetown Hoyas. The the Lions traveled to Murray, Ky and pounded the NCAA Tourney-bound Murray State Racers by 18 points. Suddenly the game with the Hoyas disappeared. Not that we would have beaten them but powerhouses like Georgetown RARELY risk a game where a loss would be devastating. UNA would never get another D1 regular season game.

Now would anybody wonder why us old timers became disinterested by the mid 90s?

Lion1983
March 4th, 2018, 07:24 PM

Here's UNA's record against other D1 schools, many of who were already D1 when we played them. UNA is 17-5 against A&M, 13-8 against Belmont, 6-1 with 20-25 with Lipscomb, 2-0 against Florida Gulf Coast, 0-1 against Iona, 39-52 against Jax State, 0-2 with Memphis, 5-12 against Middle Tennessee, 0-4 with Ole Miss, 0-3 against Mississippi State, 0-1 against Missouri, 10-3 with Nichols State, 1-2 against Northwestern State, 1-0 against Murray State, 0-1 against New Orleans, 1-0 against Sacred Heart, Sam Houston State and Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo. 8-4 against SE Louisiana, 7-17 with UT-Chattanooga, 19-22 with UT-Martin, 4-5 against Tennessee State, 1-0 against California-Riverside, 1-1 with Tennessee Tech, 0-1 against Texas Tech, 35-24 against Troy, 0-2 against Vanderbilt and 1-1 with Wisconsin-Green Bay.

The game I didn't get to put in there. UNA was good enough to give big names a good practice and following the two games with Vandy, Jones continued to play top shelf schedules and were very successful. UNA lost by 30 in their first game with Mississippi State. The next time they played the Bulldogs, Gary Elliot was at the helm. The Lions lost by 6 to Jeff Malone (a 2 time NBA All Star who played 20 years in the NBA) and the Bulldogs so the Lions were rising.

A couple of years later the Lions traveled to Lubbock, Tx and stayed with Texas Tech for about three quarters of the game before the Red Raiders went on a run and a lot of free throw shooting. Word was out a game was in the works with THE Big John Thompson, Dikembe Mutombo, Alonzo Mourning and the Georgetown Hoyas. The the Lions traveled to Murray, Ky and pounded the NCAA Tourney-bound Murray State Racers by 18 points. Suddenly the game with the Hoyas disappeared. Not that we would have beaten them but powerhouses like Georgetown RARELY risk a game where a loss would be devastating. UNA would never get another D1 regular season game.

Yep..... I understand. Recruits ain't interested either.

willsfc
March 4th, 2018, 07:30 PM

We did beat South Alabama in Mobile to start off the season, that was a nice way to start.

Tuna85
March 4th, 2018, 08:53 PM

Wow, reckon I know who to go to for history! Thanks for the effort and the update. Guess we will be getting D1 basketball games now. Hope we can up our game. Proud to be moving to FCS and I sure don't won't us to settle for being a one sport wonder.