PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Div I Football Rule Changes for '07

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
These aren't final, but a vote is forthcoming here in the next few weeks regarding these changes. I think the biggest change would be the moving the kickoff to the 30 yard line instead of the 35 to encourage returns.
----------
Action Taken: Limit the play clock to 15 seconds following a television timeout.
Time Eliminated: Three minutes (about 20 timeouts per game and about 10 seconds per timeout).
Time Impact: No effect on playing time.

Action Taken: Kickoffs moved from 35-yard line to 30-yard line.
Time Eliminated: One minute (Average of 11 kickoffs per game; more kickoffs will be returned.)

Action Taken: Reduced charged team timeouts by 30 seconds.
Time Eliminated: 3-6 minutes, depending on how many timeouts are taken in a game.

Action Taken: Penalties for all kicking team fouls that occur during the kick can be enforced at the end of the run.
Time Eliminated: About two minutes per game.

Action Taken: Encourage coaches, officials, game management personnel, media partners to manage the game in a more efficient manner.
Time Eliminated Variable, but would reduce total elapsed time.

Action Taken: Play clock is started when the ball is handed to the kicker by the umpire on all free kicks.
Time Eliminated: About two minutes per game (about 10 seconds per kickoff with 11 kickoffs per game).

Action Taken: Limit instant replay reviews to two minutes to decide to overturn or confirm the ruling on the field.
Time Eliminated: Caps the review time to eliminate lengthy delays. Time Impact: No effect on playing time.

Total = 11-14 minutes. No effect on playing time.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/9997258

GannonFan
February 19th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Now see, these are finally practical ways to reduce the time a game takes (not that I'm in favor of reducing the time, but if you're going to do it then cut the real fat, not the game itself). Last year's aborted changes that included starting the clock on the ready after a possession change was just misguided at best. Thankfully that appears to be dead.

dbackjon
February 20th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Agreed GF - finally a LITTLE common sense.

HensRock
February 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Why th recent interest in reducing the time for games?
Since when is LESS of a good thing, BETTER?

It sounds like the TV networks are leaning on the NCAA for more COMERCIAL TIME. These measures have nothing to do with improving the game itself!
:mad: :mad:

Pard4Life
February 20th, 2007, 09:49 AM
The wisest decision that is supposedly going to be made is a repeal of that idiotic clock-start rule on a change of possession.. and clock starting when the runner touches the ball on kickoffs... but I think it should start when the kicker boots the ball... there is action going on after all and the clock is moving at every other point in the game when there is 'action'.

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM
These aren't final, but a vote is forthcoming here in the next few weeks regarding these changes. I think the biggest change would be the moving the kickoff to the 30 yard line instead of the 35 to encourage returns.
----------
Action Taken: Limit the play clock to 15 seconds following a television timeout.
Time Eliminated: Three minutes (about 20 timeouts per game and about 10 seconds per timeout).

Action Taken: Kickoffs moved from 35-yard line to 30-yard line.
Time Eliminated: One minute (Average of 11 kickoffs per game; more kickoffs will be returned.)

Action Taken: Reduced charged team timeouts by 30 seconds.
Time Eliminated: 3-6 minutes, depending on how many timeouts are taken in a game.

Action Taken: Penalties for all kicking team fouls that occur during the kick can be enforced at the end of the run.
Time Eliminated: About two minutes per game.

Action Taken: Encourage coaches, officials, game management personnel, media partners to manage the game in a more efficient manner.
Time Eliminated Variable, but would reduce total elapsed time.

Action Taken: Play clock is started when the ball is handed to the kicker by the umpire on all free kicks.
Time Eliminated: About two minutes per game (about 10 seconds per kickoff with 11 kickoffs per game).

Action Taken: Limit instant replay reviews to two minutes to decide to overturn or confirm the ruling on the field.
Time Eliminated: Caps the review time to eliminate lengthy delays. Time Impact: No effect on playing time.

Total = 11-14 minutes. No effect on playing time.

http://www.ncaasports.com/story/9997258

I think I'm confused by this one. Is it saying that as soon as the ball is in the kicker's hands for a kickoff the clock starts? if so why even kick off if there are say 2 seconds left in a game and your team is leading by 5?

UAalum72
February 20th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I think I'm confused by this one. Is it saying that as soon as the ball is in the kicker's hands for a kickoff the clock starts? if so why even kick off if there are say 2 seconds left in a game and your team is leading by 5?
The game clock's not running, just the play clock for delay-of-game. It means the guy who makes sure the full team is on the field has to be able to count to eleven a lot faster.