Albany announced their 2007 recruiting class today
http://www.albany.edu/sports/stories.htm#foot07_sign_class

jmuroller
February 19th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Better late than never.

rmutv
February 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Better late than never.

Mid-major schools typically announce their classes later than others. Robert Morris usually doesn't announce until March or so.

Fordham
February 19th, 2007, 09:30 PM
what's the consensus, UA?

UAalum72
February 19th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Only thing I noticed is that a couple of O-linemen look like they're from the days we were running the wishbone - 235-240 is a good 50 pounds less than we've gotten the last five years.

Assuming a lot of them redshirt, it'll be two to three years before we can judge the class - which is true of most recruiting classes. Still, if a few guys are all-state mentions in A and AA (the top two NY classes) there must be something good there.

Dane96
February 19th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Personally, I feel we got what we needed. Receivers who were big targets, replacement DLINEMAN for an already strong unit...and COVER CORNERS....GOOD COVER CORNERS.

As for the weights of these guys, most Albany fans have not been around FCS or FBS programs before and dont realize alot of kids come in 40 pounds underweight.

One of our best lineman ever put on 60lbs by the time he graduated last season.

I am not as worried as UAAlum about the weight issue. As he noted, these kids all seem to have some nice accolades and with those weights it makes me believe they are quick and agile...something we have been slowly improving with scholarships and grants. Agile lineman are keys to our running attack at this level of ball.

Additionally, except for Sparano (his brother plays for the Danes) and one other...all these kids are 6'3 and bigger. Height...and arm length have always been crucial for lineman. The fact we got two tall DE's coming in s encouraging.

I would rather have a lighter kid with a frame to grow into who is quick, than a squat slow lineman.

I think UD fans would disagree ;) (Noting Keeler's small "quick lines")

I would be shocked if any of these kids saw the field next year. I would think they are all going the red-shirt route. That means that for 2008, the Danes will have about 20-25 red-shirt frosh and sophs ready to go, who are some sort of scholarship. That makes us a much better and younger squad...building for that magical 2009-2010 opening of our stadium (hopefully).

slostang
February 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Personally, I feel we got what we needed. Receivers who were big targets, replacement DLINEMAN for an already strong unit...and COVER CORNERS....GOOD COVER CORNERS.

As for the weights of these guys, most Albany fans have not been around FCS or FBS programs before and dont realize alot of kids come in 40 pounds underweight.

One of our best lineman ever put on 60lbs by the time he graduated last season.

I am not as worried as UAAlum about the weight issue. As he noted, these kids all seem to have some nice accolades and with those weights it makes me believe they are quick and agile...something we have been slowly improving with scholarships and grants. Agile lineman are keys to our running attack at this level of ball.

Additionally, except for Sparano (his brother plays for the Danes) and one other...all these kids are 6'3 and bigger. Height...and arm length have always been crucial for lineman. The fact we got two tall DE's coming in s encouraging.

I would rather have a lighter kid with a frame to grow into who is quick, than a squat slow lineman.

I think UD fans would disagree ;) (Noting Keeler's small "quick lines")

I would be shocked if any of these kids saw the field next year. I would think they are all going the red-shirt route. That means that for 2008, the Danes will have about 20-25 red-shirt frosh and sophs ready to go, who are some sort of scholarship. That makes us a much better and younger squad...building for that magical 2009-2010 opening of our stadium (hopefully).

Of the three OL/DL that Cal Poly brought in this year (so far), two were 245 and one was 235. Last year Cal Poly starting quick tackle was only 250. The other four starters were between 265 and 285. Nothing wrong with quick athletic linemen.

UAalum72
February 20th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Better late than never.
Yes, but it's more than a month earlier than last year

Ruler 79
February 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Albany has a big surplus of O-lineman who fit that 300lbs, 6-3 to 6-6 mold, so that was not a big need. They have a history of turning short squatty types into DT's.

I am more impressed with the size of our new QB's (6'4 and 6'5)and DE's(6'3 and 250-275lbs). That to me says full scholarship players more then anything else.

Fordham
February 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
anyone know yet how many schollies you guys used on this class and how many of them were full rides v. partials? Just curious since I believe you split them up pretty well last year.

mainejeff
February 20th, 2007, 10:05 AM
That makes us a much better and younger squad...building for that magical 2009-2010 opening of our stadium (hopefully).

I wonder if Albany will open its new stadium the same year that the new conference situation comes into play? Sure looks like it........

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 12:08 PM
question time...Is Albany a full fledged FCS school now or still "mid major?"

Ruler 79
February 20th, 2007, 12:14 PM
What is a mid major these days? The MAAC is a mid major? PFL/PL/IVY do not allow scholarships (although everyone here understands the PL/IVY situation)and the NEC allows 30 full rides soon to be 40 from what I hear. The top of the NEC (Albany, CCSU, and Monmouth) is on par athletically with top 10 DII and mid to lower tier FCS or 1AA whatever they call it.

Fordham
February 20th, 2007, 04:26 PM
question time...Is Albany a full fledged FCS school now or still "mid major?"

ralph?

<alley oop>

February 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
question time...Is Albany a full fledged FCS school now or still "mid major?"Mid-Major is an unofficial term used by media. Albany is NCAA D-I in all intercollegiate sports. They play football in the NCAA D-I Football Championship Subdivision. According to Northeast Conference rules they award a maximum of 30 football scholarships per year.

Dane96
February 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Ralph sidestepped the question...politics in your future?

People, including this board, use the mid-major moniker for the NEC league, from TSN and Dave Sheridan to Don Hansen. Ralph, you yourself use this term as a media member.

THE QUESTION, AGAIN....should people characterize the NEC as MID-MAJOR.

IMHO, that moniker is dead for the NEC. Any league featuring more than 30 kids (figure most are split up) on scholarship is NO LONGER MID-MAJOR.

So...QUESTION IS....DOES A 30 scholarship league still get the mid-major moniker? Unofficial or official, does not matter. Unofficial statements in all arenas can (like it has in FCS) be adopted by the majority.

Ralph.....

February 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM
... Ralph, you yourself use this term as a media member...You mean I scoff at that term. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that is a derisive term. There are no mid-majors in any D-I sport. They're either D-I or not. When people use it for D-I championship football they usually mean non-schollie and the NEC has not been non-schollie for a while. Since they switched to bonfide schollie (albeit limited) there is even less reason to call them "mid-major" (wash my mouth out for using that term). :twocents:

Dane96
February 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
That a boy Ralph...thats what I wanted to hear!!!!

aceinthehole
February 20th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Ralph sidestepped the question...politics in your future?

People, including this board, use the mid-major moniker for the NEC league, from TSN and Dave Sheridan to Don Hansen. Ralph, you yourself use this term as a media member.

THE QUESTION, AGAIN....should people characterize the NEC as MID-MAJOR.

IMHO, that moniker is dead for the NEC. Any league featuring more than 30 kids (figure most are split up) on scholarship is NO LONGER MID-MAJOR.

So...QUESTION IS....DOES A 30 scholarship league still get the mid-major moniker? Unofficial or official, does not matter. Unofficial statements in all arenas can (like it has in FCS) be adopted by the majority.

Ralph.....

The big question is will the NEC continue to embrace the term in its media guides, press releases, etc.?

I hope not! If the NEC is wiling to petition the NCAA for an AQ, then we shoudn't promote the term "mid-major."

This year CCSU and Albany were ranked in the I-AA national poll (Monmouth recieved votes). CCSU and Albany also had players named to national awards, incuding all-american.

The media may try to keep the term, but its up to the NEC (and its members) to resist and eliminate use of the term.