PDA

View Full Version : Rivalries: The Best Games

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Ok, when we are arguing about how many games GSU will win, it's time for some new life.

Every team has a rival. By most accounts (unless you are App. State and Western Carolina) the rivalry has been a lot of back and forth games, close losses, exhilirating wins. I want to know your top five games against your biggest rival. Which games had the most riding on the outcome? Which were the most exciting? The most demoralizing?

My Five: I think most E and P fans can agree on the first two in some kind of order.

Furman v. Georgia Southern: Arguably no two rivals in the IAA/FCS era have met with more on the line more frequently than the Paladins and Eagles. They have not been playing as long as some of the others, but rarely do they meet with out conference or national championship aspirations hanging in the balance.

1. GSU 44, Furman 42 (1985 National Championship): Tracy Hamm conjures up some last second heroics as he throws a pass (of all things) through three Furman defenders to find his receiver in the back of the endzone. The win was the first national championship for a young Eagle program and the first of their 6 over the next 15 years.

2. Furman 17, GSU 12 (1988 National Championship): Bobby Johnson's defense led the nation by giving up only 9.7 points per game. Frankie Debusk led the Paladins to be the lone private school ever to win the IAA national championship.

3. Furman 24, GSU 17 (2001 National Semifinals): GSU entered the game the #2 seeded team, having won 39 straight games at Paulson, sporting a 28-0 record home record in the playoffs, and already had bested the Paladins in Greenville earlier that year. Even more, Furman was playing without their best player, All-American Louis Ivory. Furman trailed 17-7 at the break but came back to hold Peyton Winner Adrian Peterson to 68 yrds on 18 carries and holds the powerful GSU offense to just 55 yrds in the second half to break all kinds of streaks and propel into the national championship game. Billy Napier was perfect for the Paladins as he went 12-12 for 159. It still ranks as FU's only win in Paulson Stadium.

4. #4 GSU 20, #2 Furman 10 (2001): Regular season anyone? Setting up the dramatic win in number 3, I chose this game because of the talent on the field. This single game boasted perhaps the two best running backs ever to play I-AA football, Southern's Adrian Peterson and Furman's Louis Ivory. Both have their named etched on the Peyton Award. Ivory had 122 yrds on 23 carries while Peterson had 158 on 24.

5. #3 Furman 29, #2 GSU 22 (2004): Paladin Stadium was rocking on homecoming weekend. Eagle fans came out in force to support their team who had rattled off 8 straight wins since losing their opener to UGA. This Eagle team had just been steamrolling opponents including hanging 63 on South Dakota State the week before. The game seesawed back and forth until the 1:05 mark in the fourth when Jerome Felton plunged in from 8 yrds out and Ike West took an end around for the two point conversion. Chaz Williams then took the Eagles straight down the field passing the ball only to have his final attempt knocked down in the endzone by Cam Newton as time expired.

After the 2001 Semifinal game, Furman linebacker Will Bouton: ""To win here feels wonderful, because they're a great football team, but, listen, it's great to beat Georgia Southern anywhere. I don't care if it's on Mars."

Let's hear yours.

Sir William
February 19th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Ok, when we are arguing about how many games GSU will win, it's time for some new life.

Every team has a rival. By most accounts (unless you are App. State and Western Carolina) the rivalry has been a lot of back and forth games, close losses, exhilirating wins. I want to know your top five games against your biggest rival. Which games had the most riding on the outcome? Which were the most exciting? The most demoralizing?

My Five: I think most E and P fans can agree on the first two in some kind of order.

Furman v. Georgia Southern: Arguably no two rivals in the IAA/FCS era have met with more on the line more frequently than the Paladins and Eagles. They have not been playing as long as some of the others, but rarely do they meet with out conference or national championship aspirations hanging in the balance.

1. GSU 44, Furman 42 (1985 National Championship): Tracy Hamm conjures up some last second heroics as he throws a pass (of all things) through three Furman defenders to find his receiver in the back of the endzone. The win was the first national championship for a young Eagle program and the first of their 6 over the next 15 years.

2. Furman 17, GSU 12 (1988 National Championship): Bobby Johnson's defense led the nation by giving up only 9.7 points per game. Frankie Debusk led the Paladins to be the lone private school ever to win the IAA national championship.

3. Furman 24, GSU 17 (2001 National Semifinals): GSU entered the game the #2 seeded team, having won 39 straight games at Paulson, sporting a 28-0 record home record in the playoffs, and already had bested the Paladins in Greenville earlier that year. Even more, Furman was playing without their best player, All-American Louis Ivory. Furman trailed 17-7 at the break but came back to hold Peyton Winner Adrian Peterson to 68 yrds on 18 carries and holds the powerful GSU offense to just 55 yrds in the second half to break all kinds of streaks and propel into the national championship game. Billy Napier was perfect for the Paladins as he went 12-12 for 159. It still ranks as FU's only win in Paulson Stadium.

4. #4 GSU 20, #2 Furman 10 (2001): Regular season anyone? Setting up the dramatic win in number 3, I chose this game because of the talent on the field. This single game boasted perhaps the two best running backs ever to play I-AA football, Southern's Adrian Peterson and Furman's Louis Ivory. Both have their named etched on the Peyton Award. Ivory had 122 yrds on 23 carries while Peterson had 158 on 24.

5. #3 Furman 29, #2 GSU 22 (2004): Paladin Stadium was rocking on homecoming weekend. Eagle fans came out in force to support their team who had rattled off 8 straight wins since losing their opener to UGA. This Eagle team had just been steamrolling opponents including hanging 63 on South Dakota State the week before. The game seesawed back and forth until the 1:05 mark in the fourth when Jerome Felton plunged in from 8 yrds out and Ike West took an end around for the two point conversion. Chaz Williams then took the Eagles straight down the field passing the ball only to have his final attempt knocked down in the endzone by Cam Newton as time expired.

After the 2001 Semifinal game, Furman linebacker Will Bouton: ""To win here feels wonderful, because they're a great football team, but, listen, it's great to beat Georgia Southern anywhere. I don't care if it's on Mars."

Let's hear yours.

Five classics! Not to mention all the great games between Furman and Appy over the years.

Speaking strictly about Furman in the playoffs...who could forget the 14-7 home heartbreaker to WCU in the 1983 semis, and the 13-9 triumph over Marshall in the 1988 quarterfinals, in Huntington (one of the best football games I ever saw; no fingernails left).

blueballs
February 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM

Let's hear yours.

To add to your list and clarify somewhat...

Furman's win in the NC game in 1988 comes as GSU's Raymond Gross fumbles inside the Furman 10 in the last minute of play. GSU goes 15-0 the next year and wins the NC in 1990 too.

In 2001 the regular season game was in Statesboro, not Greenville. GSU won that game as Adrian Peterson's jersey # was retired. Also don't forget Billy Napier's perfect day passing in the semi-final win that year and Furman's clutch drive for the win in the fourth quarter.

The 1999 game at Paulson was one for the ages too... Furman storms back in the second half from a large deficit to tie the game with about a minute left. GSU's Greg Hill runs three QB draws for about 50 yards to set up Chris Chambers' game winning kick on the last play of the game for the win for GSU, 41-38.

In November 2005 Furman comes to Paulson ranked #1 and is greeted by a night time crowd of 20k+. The game goes back and forth until GSU drives 80+ in about 7 minutes to score with just a little over a minute left to take the lead. Ingle Martin leads FU down to the GSU 35 and throws an ill advised pick when they were in position to possibly tie at worst with a FG with about 30 seconds left to seal the win for GSU. The day was marked by the 20th anniversary of the 1985 championship team and the party in the parking lot went into the wee hours of the morning. Just a magical night...Three weeks later Mike Sewak had coached his last game at GSU despite that great win.

Who can forget Louis Ivory's 300 yard day against the defending national champs in 2000?

Aren't those all great games and a thrill a minute?

PS- Will Bouton was a baller... he has all our respect.

ChadWC
February 19th, 2007, 08:48 PM
The 2005 game was amazing. That was the loudest I've ever heard Paulson. The GSU-Furman rivalry has produced some exciting finishes and some heartbreak.

Death Dealer
February 19th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, as much as I hate the Citadel, the FU-GSU rivalry has offered a lot more excitement in recent history.:nod:

citdog
February 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I gotta say, as much as I hate the Citadel, the FU-GSU rivalry has offered a lot more excitement in recent history.:nod:

I really enjoyed Stanley Myers going 19-20 against FU in the second half of the game in '98 and leading us to a come back victory.

Also enjoyed the 03 game in Chas. What time is it 'dins? 10 to 9!

The triple ot game in Chas in 05.

The complete dismantling of the Paladins in the second half of this years game bodes well for next season.

I will NEVER FORGET winning the SoCon Championship on Furman's field in 1992, made it that much sweeter!

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 09:46 PM
The two rivalries that have had the most exciting games in recent years are Appalachian State and Furman (except for last year, ALL of the recent games have gone down to the final plays), and the series between Delaware and Villanova (every year seems to be a final-play deal).

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I really enjoyed Stanley Myers going 19-20 against FU in the second half of the game in '98 and leading us to a come back victory.

The complete dismantling of the Paladins in the second half of this years game bodes well for next season.

I will NEVER FORGET winning the SoCon Championship on Furman's field in 1992, made it that much sweeter!
Hard to believe Stanley Myers could hit 19-of-20 passes in warm-ups, let alone in a rivalry game. He was one of the most scatter-armed QBs I've seen in the past 15 years of covering the SoCon. Myers had the misfortune of being an option QB that was thrust into running a passing attack after Don Powers replaced Charlie Taaffe.

blukeys
February 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
The two rivalries that have had the most exciting games in recent years are Appalachian State and Furman (except for last year, ALL of the recent games have gone down to the final plays), and the series between Delaware and Villanova (every year seems to be a final-play deal).

Quite right Mr. C and we don't like each other!

Mr. C
February 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
One of these days, I'm going to make it to a Delaware-Villanova game in person. I've always been surprised this game hasn't been televised.

Another great rivalry game is Lafayette-Lehigh. They have had some great finishes in recent years.

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Mr. C, all respect, but App. State is a thorn in our butt. GSU is our rival.

I agree the 2005 game was one for the books. I don't necessarily like it because GSU fans love to point out that they beat the #1, which is true. But Furman also moved into that spot during an off week where two or three teams ahead of them lost. So, on paper, yes #1, but I doubt you could find any Furman fan that truly felt we were the top team in the country.

That game had a ton riding on it. With the loss Furman gives up the conference championship, a seed, the #1 seed, and homefield advantage. I think about it often, ASU jumped us after that loss in the seeding. Furman wins that game, there very well may not be App. as national champs as they would have had to hit the road and returned BACK to Greenville a second time that season.

I watched that highlight film of that game over on tsc. One thing I noticed was that Furman was very well prepared for that game defensively, they just couldn't tackle Foster. He spun out of everything. All the big passes were after he escaped three or four tackles. As an opposing fan, that is incredibly difficult to watch time and again :)

PaladinFan
February 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Also, I mentioned the 2001 playoff game was in Statesboro. And it still does sit as the only win. I think the Paladins are 1-10 in Paulson?

Mr. C
February 20th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Mr. C, all respect, but App. State is a thorn in our butt. GSU is our rival.

I agree the 2005 game was one for the books. I don't necessarily like it because GSU fans love to point out that they beat the #1, which is true. But Furman also moved into that spot during an off week where two or three teams ahead of them lost. So, on paper, yes #1, but I doubt you could find any Furman fan that truly felt we were the top team in the country.

That game had a ton riding on it. With the loss Furman gives up the conference championship, a seed, the #1 seed, and homefield advantage. I think about it often, ASU jumped us after that loss in the seeding. Furman wins that game, there very well may not be App. as national champs as they would have had to hit the road and returned BACK to Greenville a second time that season.

I watched that highlight film of that game over on tsc. One thing I noticed was that Furman was very well prepared for that game defensively, they just couldn't tackle Foster. He spun out of everything. All the big passes were after he escaped three or four tackles. As an opposing fan, that is incredibly difficult to watch time and again :)
When you look at the whole series, there are not ANY other teams that have as competitive of games, year in and year out, as Appalachian State and Furman. The only one that comes close is Delaware-Villanova. I've covered 15 App-Furman games and all but two have been barn-burners. You can't say that about Georgia Southern-Furman. There have been as many blowouts in that series as there have been tight games. And there is always a lot on the line when Furman and App play. The only difference is that the Georgia Southern-Furman game is usually later in the year. I'm not talking about the past five or six years. App State and Furman have been playing tight games since App State joined the SoCon and the rivalry has been particularly good since Jerry Moore came to Boone. Just as Furman would rather beat Georgia Southern than anyone in the league, App State would rather beat Georgia Southern than anybody. But at the same time, facts are facts and App State-Furman has featured the best series in I-AA/FCS for a number of years.

Sir William
February 20th, 2007, 01:18 AM
When you look at the whole series, there are not ANY other teams that have as competitive of games, year in and year out, as Appalachian State and Furman. The only one that comes close is Delaware-Villanova. I've covered 15 App-Furman games and all but two have been barn-burners. You can't say that about Georgia Southern-Furman. There have been as many blowouts in that series as there have been tight games. And there is always a lot on the line when Furman and App play. The only difference is that the Georgia Southern-Furman game is usually later in the year. I'm not talking about the past five or six years. App State and Furman have been playing tight games since App State joined the SoCon and the rivalry has been particularly good since Jerry Moore came to Boone. Just as Furman would rather beat Georgia Southern than anyone in the league, App State would rather beat Georgia Southern than anybody. But at the same time, facts are facts and App State-Furman has featured the best series in I-AA/FCS for a number of years.

This is true.

PaladinFan
February 20th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Right, but I didn't ask for the best series. I asked for the biggest games against your biggest rival.

I also realize that with Furman fans it can be a bit of a tossup. The older crowd hates the Citadel, the younger crowd hates GSU, and everyone hates App.

bluehenbillk
February 20th, 2007, 07:13 AM
One of these days, I'm going to make it to a Delaware-Villanova game in person. I've always been surprised this game hasn't been televised.

You probably don't get it in North Carolina but UD-VU has been televised probably for at least the last 10 consecutive years. It's either on CN8 or Comcast SportsNet.

letsgopards04
February 20th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks Mr. C,
Lafayette/Lehigh is in my biased opinion the best rivalry out there. Once Lafayette got its program back on its feet, it has been a good game. See Jonathan Hurt get behind the defense to catch a bomb at the end of regulation two years ago to win brought a tear to my eye. I also think that being the most played rivalry gives it a trump card over many other rivalries. What other game would you see disgruntled students storm the field and take away the goalposts --- in the 3rd quarter.

OL FU
February 20th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Several thousand posts ago (before App State's first NC), some one started a thread on the "most important rivalry" in FCS. I argued long and hard for Furman and GSU simply because of the past important games and the impact of most future Furman and GSU games to (or in) the playoffs. I still think that argument holds.

There is no doubt the GSU cames have typically been the most important, the ASU games have been the closest.

I personally think we are in transition on who the rival will be. I am pulling for the Citadel only because I think it is cool to say you have played your rival for many many years and games.

Let's be honest, at some point GSU and ASU will move to FBS. If they don't, their fans heads will explode:smiley_wi

poly51
February 20th, 2007, 11:33 AM
For many years Cal Poly and Fresno State had a great rivalry. They are 140 miles apart and are the closest teams to each other that play football. The rivalry was a bit one sided over the years with Fresno leading the series 29-10-2 but that did not seem to diminish the intensity. They were in the same confrence it the 1950s and early 60s. In the mid 60s Fresno State went to Division I and Cal Poly to Division II. Cal Poly was still trying to recover from the 1960 plane crash. They continued to play through 1985. The best era was the 1970s.

1970 Fresno State 23-17
1971 Fresno State 13-10
1972 24-24 tie
1973 Cal Poly 28-14
1974 Cal Poly 17-13
1975 Cal Poly 24-7
1976 Cal Poly 17-15
1977 Fresno State 52-3
1978 Cal Poly 24-12
1979 Cal Poly 26-0 Last Cal Poly win and they shut them out in Fresno.
1980 Fresno State 31-25 Cal Poly's D-II National Championship year.

After 1980 all the games were played in Fresno and Fresno State was becoming a big time program.

1982 Fresno State 26-6
1983 Fresno State 30-7
1984 Fresno State 14-0
1985 Fresno State 59-10 Last Game.

I would sure like to see this rivalry renewed.

Sir William
February 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Let's be honest, at some point GSU and ASU will move to FBS. If they don't, their fans heads will explode:smiley_wi

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Death Dealer
February 20th, 2007, 11:50 AM

O.K., you got me. There have been some exciting games between us these last few years as well...fortunately we still win most of them!:smiley_wi You know, that's what I love about the SOCON though. The rivalries are all so strong that even when a team is completely outclassed by their opponent, like the bellhops are most years they play Furman (xlolx ), the game can still be a barn burner. How many more days till September?:(