PDA

View Full Version : ASU lightpost first thing to come down at stadium!!!

appfan2008
February 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.booneweb.com/webcam/?fSession=TPlFezLrav_M

The lightpost on the hill side of the stadium came down today with 2 cranes present!!!

IT IS ABOUT TIME!

AppGuy04
February 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

spoogemcgee18
February 19th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I can't wait 'till that eyesore of a press box is gone. Good riddance.

th0m
February 19th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Well, your current pressbox is better than what we have at Bridgeforth (at least, from the outside). Go figure!

Good luck on your expansion/renovation!

GeauxColonels
February 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM
When is the estimated completion date?

appfan2008
February 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
i believe they claim the '08 season but i have a feeling it will be more like the '09 season opener

GeauxColonels
February 19th, 2007, 05:37 PM
i believe they claim the '08 season but i have a feeling it will be more like the '09 season opener
What are you guys gonna do for the '07 season??

Mountaineer#96
February 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
make do how ever we can......................if the lights are needed the plan is to bring in mobile units.

appfan2008
February 19th, 2007, 05:49 PM
we have no plan for the press/tv cameras and such

February 19th, 2007, 06:00 PM
IT IS ABOUT TIME!Also removed were twelve nuts and bolts, eleven pens and pencils, ten signs, nine pieces of carpet, eight power strips, seven pieces of door trim, six lightbulbs, five mirrors, four doorstoppers, three lightswitch covers and screws, two chairs and a partridge in a pear tree. xlolx

appfan2008
February 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
ok i get it... we are a little excited but hey its the start we have been waiting for since we beat youngstown!

SoCon48
February 19th, 2007, 07:57 PM
we have no plan for the press/tv cameras and such

i.e., we can forget home play-off games.

spoogemcgee18
February 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
i.e. this season is going to suck (except for the actual football)

Personally, I think it was a bad idea to start all this stuff now. Whatever happened to renovating the other side? I liked this sketch a lot better:
http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/4089/newstadiumnn2.jpg

james_lawfirm
February 19th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Also removed were twelve nuts and bolts, eleven pens and pencils, ten signs, nine pieces of carpet, eight power strips, seven pieces of door trim, six lightbulbs, five mirrors, four doorstoppers, three lightswitch covers and screws, two chairs and a partridge in a pear tree. xlolx

Ralphie:

Now, now. It's been a little too long since you saw any FCS football, hasn't it? There's nothing wrong with being excited about progress.

tarmac
February 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
The plan for 2007 is a temporary pressbox on the east side.

February 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
... There's nothing wrong with being excited about progress.Just funning with ya! :nod:

Tod
February 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Please send any light poles to Washington-Grizzly Stadium. Thank you. :) :)

Oh, and congrats!

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
half of the press box is down and the practice facility has steel beams up

Appguy
March 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM
During the pro day yesterday they were knocking down the bathroom/concession buildings on the scoreboard side hill.

spoogemcgee18 - I liked those plans much better that the current one also, maybe those are the next step hopefully...but I doubt it

appfan2008
March 24th, 2007, 10:07 AM
:D
During the pro day yesterday they were knocking down the bathroom/concession buildings on the scoreboard side hill.

spoogemcgee18 - I liked those plans much better that the current one also, maybe those are the next step hopefully...but I doubt it
once they build the soccer field, they will put a track around that, and remove the current one, then move the field towards the west stands and tear the east ones down (hence no work over there) then once the field is moved build big east stands that are much closer and once that is done... hello fbs...

IMHO:D

PantherRob82
March 24th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Always nice to see work start. I'm excited for our upgrades to the Dome.

Mountain Panther
March 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Always nice to see work start. I'm excited for our upgrades to the Dome.

???

Is something happening other than the addition of the Hall of Fame room connecting the McLeod Center?

PantherRob82
March 24th, 2007, 11:17 AM
New facitlities on the north end of the dome(on the inside). Look in last years media guide or possibly on the web. I believe fundraising has started for it.

ButlerGSU
March 24th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Also removed were twelve nuts and bolts, eleven pens and pencils, ten signs, nine pieces of carpet, eight power strips, seven pieces of door trim, six lightbulbs, five mirrors, four doorstoppers, three lightswitch covers and screws, two chairs and a partridge in a pear tree. xlolx

Ha!

appfan2008
March 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Ha!
do you find that funny?

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Personally, I think it was a bad idea to start all this stuff now. Whatever happened to renovating the other side? I liked this sketch a lot better:
THAT would be an incredibly gorgeous facility! xeekx

appfan2008
March 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
THAT would be an incredibly gorgeous facility! xeekx
dont get too excited they decided to go in a different direction which is fine with me!

GeauxColonels
March 25th, 2007, 02:56 PM
dont get too excited they decided to go in a different direction which is fine with me!
I know, but that looks great! Are there any plans to adding a building in one of the endzones like that?

March 25th, 2007, 07:26 PM
do you find that funny?xnodx but not as funny as this...
... once that is done... hello fbs...xlmaox

tarmac
April 1st, 2007, 06:15 PM
http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/2267/39/

‘Jewel’ of enhancement plan begins construction Print E-mail
Thursday, 29 March 2007
Editor’s Note: This is the first in a two-part series regarding Kidd Brewer Stadium renovations.

by ED RABIN
Intern Sports Writer

With the demolition of the press box of Kidd Brewer Stadium, a new, 114,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art field house will be built in its place behind the west-side stands.

The structure will stretch the entire length of the stadium’s West Side and rise seven stories high.

The “crown-jewel” of Appalachian State University’s Athletic Facility Enhancement Campaign is scheduled to begin construction in early July.

Project architect Steve Ulp, of Walter Robbs Callahan and Pierce Architects in Winston-Salem, has taken the task of designing and building the structure.

“I don’t know if people who are even involved in it realize how much bigger it will be than that little press box is now,” Ulp said. “It’s a football-field long … It takes up the length of the whole grandstand.

We’re building functional, long-lasting space. It’s a 365-days-a-year building, but for six Saturdays, it will be packed.”

Field House: Ground Level – Third Level

The ground floor, or concourse level, will receive a slight upgrade of its current restroom and concession facilities. The concrete will also be replaced with brown pavers.

Within the new field house, the ground level will house home football locker rooms, a training/hydrotherapy room and laundry/equipment services. An entrance lobby, an additional concession stand, and a large ladies restroom containing 25 toilets and sinks will also be included.

The second floor of the new field house is a large strength and conditioning room that will be open to all student-athletes, as well as an auditorium for team meetings. There will also be smaller, position-specific, meeting rooms.

The third level will comprise the wires, pipes and industrial innards of the structure.

Field House- Fourth Level

The fourth level, which will be at the same height as the top of the current grandstand, will house administration offices for the athletic department on the north end. Offices for coaches are on the south end.

On the back side of the field house, a pedestrian bridge will be constructed that will span from the field house entrance to a small parking lot next to the tennis courts behind the stadium.

The fourth level will also contain Mountaineer Hall of Fame with memorabilia, trophies and other artifacts from Appalachian State’s athletic past.

Field House- Fifth Level

The fifth level will maintain some office space, but it will primarliy house a large club room that will be mainly used by the Yosef Club and other sponsors. It will provide additional concessions with more up-scale dining options. There will be a covered outdoor level with up to 500 VIP club seats overlooking the field as well.

Field House - Sixth Level.

The sixth level of the complex will boast 18 luxury box suites and a new Chancellor’s Suite. The Chancellor’s Suite will be a large open suite with the capability to accommodate up to 60 people and will be flanked by nine luxury boxes on each side, each accommodating up to 15 people. Every box will have space for catering according to the wishes of the box owner, presumably by Appalachian Food Services. The suites, however, are not merely being built for VIP seating on game days.

Ed Broyhill, chairman of the Athletic Facilities Enhancement Campaign and a member of the Board of Trustees, believes the suites can also have an alternative purpose.

"Our committee has had the foresight to find alternative uses for the suites during the periods we're not having football games,” he said. “ We believe those suites can be used for educational purposes. They will be designed and built for that purpose as well so they will give us a chance to have further classroom capability throughout the whole year.”

These VIP suites as well as the club seats on the fifth level will bring in constant profit for the university and the athletic department.

"An important requirement in this day in time is to not only have club seating, but to have sponsored suites, a reoccurring revenue stringing from year to year,” Broyhill said, "To benefit the students, I think the prices for those suites ought to be as high as we can get them."

Field House - Seventh Level

The seventh and top level of the new field house will be a press area for coaches, news reporters, radio announcers and television broadcasting. Not only will this level be well equipped to handle the number of media members present, but it will also be able to accommodate and adapt to advancing technologies.

Mountaineer Plaza and Other Projects

The New Mountaineer Plaza, which began construction last year with a new ticket booth, will be finished to create a definitive entrance for the stadium.

“We designed the ticket building,” Ulp said. “There’s a landscape and civil engineering firm out of Charlotte that is working with the athletic department to develop the plaza. What you see now is kind of the first phase they wanted to get that done for last year’s home games. That plaza is going to be expanded to be a pregame and postgame destination for people to meet.”

The plaza will also feature a giant boulder, giving a physical meaning to the phrase, “Welcome to the Rock.”

Along with the plaza, other areas of the stadium will receive an upgrade.

The two buildings at the south end of the stadium, which previously housed restroom facilities and a soccer field house, have already been demolished.

“They’re an embarrassment to the university,” Robbins said.

Two new buildings are to be built in their place, equipped with up-to-date restrooms, a small concession stand and storage for soccer equipment.

Each building will be about 1,500 square foot and will be ready for the 2007 season.

Owens Field House Renovation

"The original plan was to demolish Owens field house and build a new field house there. The plan now is to keep it, renovate it and use it for visiting locker rooms," Robbins said.

Owens Field House has been through several plans within the enhancement campaign. The final solution, however, seems to be the best situation for the field house, which has become a sort-of landmark for the university.

"Owen's has served it's purpose, it's been added on to once, it's been renovated two or three times,” Ulp said. “We looked at renovating it again, we looked at blowing it up and putting the field house there, but the university needs the space. They couldn't go without Owen’s Field House. They couldn't relocate all the functions that are in there, but it needs a facelift.”

CopperCat
April 1st, 2007, 06:22 PM
xgiveadamnx

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Hey you would be proud about this if it was your school

April 1st, 2007, 07:35 PM
I read that a couple screws were removed today! Progress!!!! :p

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 07:37 PM
you tried that line a number of posts ago in this thread laughed then but not funny today!... I mean dont use the same line twice to try to be funny twice...

CopperCat
April 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hey you would be proud about this if it was your school

The minute that you App fans genuinely start to take an interest at what ELSE is going on around FCS (especially MSU), then I might start to take an interest in Appy's stuff. For now, I could care less.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 07:47 PM
the way the msu players acted when they came to kbs this year gives me no reason to ever give a damn about what is happening out their for msu... i know you were probably not here to witness their behavior but it was ridiculous and i am so glad they lost... you have the worst bunch of characters i have ever seen

CopperCat
April 1st, 2007, 07:54 PM
the way the msu players acted when they came to kbs this year gives me no reason to ever give a damn about what is happening out their for msu... i know you were probably not here to witness their behavior but it was ridiculous and i am so glad they lost... you have the worst bunch of characters i have ever seen

Yup because one player speaks for them all.

Like I said, when you start to give a damn, I won't chime in with my smart-ass comments. I will be the gnat in your ear, and I will not go away.

Sir William
April 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Yup because one player speaks for them all.

Like I said, when you start to give a damn, I won't chime in with my smart-ass comments. I will be the gnat in your ear, and I will not go away.

FTG, just out of curiosity, why is it so important to you personally that appfan care so much about MSU? Why so adamant?

tarmac
April 6th, 2007, 06:46 AM
4-5-07

asulax9
April 6th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Does anyone know if these plans were thrown out or just tabled until later?

SoCon48
April 6th, 2007, 08:20 AM
The minute that you App fans genuinely start to take an interest at what ELSE is going on around FCS (especially MSU), then I might start to take an interest in Appy's stuff. For now, I could care less.

And I for one could care less that you could care less. I mean it's not like we all stand around worrying about what you think.xrolleyesx

CopperCat
April 6th, 2007, 03:42 PM
And I for one could care less that you could care less. I mean it's not like we all stand around worrying about what you think.xrolleyesx

likewise

April 6th, 2007, 11:35 PM
you tried that line a number of posts ago in this thread laughed then but not funny today!... I mean dont use the same line twice to try to be funny twice...I didn't use the same line twice... the first time I said "Also removed were twelve nuts and bolts, eleven pens and pencils, ten signs, nine pieces of carpet, eight power strips, seven pieces of door trim, six lightbulbs, five mirrors, four doorstoppers, three lightswitch covers and screws, two chairs and a partridge in a pear tree." xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I also said was just funning with youse. Geez! xrolleyesx

NDSUFREAK
April 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I didn't use the same line twice... the first time I said "Also removed were twelve nuts and bolts, eleven pens and pencils, ten signs, nine pieces of carpet, eight power strips, seven pieces of door trim, six lightbulbs, five mirrors, four doorstoppers, three lightswitch covers and screws, two chairs and a partridge in a pear tree." xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx I also said was just funning with youse. Geez! xrolleyesx

AHHHH!! Nice 12 Days of Christmas diddy. Perfect for us right now since there is snow on the ground here in Fargo. xmadx xmadx xmadx

AppMan
April 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Luxury suites are what happened. The picture you show was the first conception of the Athletics Enhancement Plan with a primary focus on the renovation and expansion of Owens Field House and transforming Varsity Gym into an indoor facility in phase one. Phase two included seating expansion on the East Side with luxury boxes between the two levels. Well..... interest in those luxury suites (and the revenue they generate) was so great they were moved to the top of the wish list. The 2nd generation of the plan was to build the Athletic Center behind the current East Side, however this plan included luxury suites, club level seating, new concession stands and restrooms. That idea was rejected because it would severly limit seating expansion over there and the focus moved to the West Side. I like the new plan in that we are getting much more bang for the buck. This one has everything the previous plan had, plus a new press facility.

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 08:52 AM
boone has 2-4 inches of new snow on the ground as well

Mountaineer#96
April 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Yes we do, and it still is coming down at mid day here.

AppMan
April 7th, 2007, 09:31 PM

Several years ago for the Spring game the day started out cold, but partly cloudy. By the end of the first quarter it was starting to sprinkle rain and by the half it was raining and getting colder. As the team came out to begin the second half the rain turned to sleet. By the end of the 3rd quarter it had turned to snow and by the end of the game there was 3 inches on the turf. You gotta love Boone in the Spring!!!

appfan2008
April 7th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Several years ago for the Spring game the day started out cold, but partly cloudy. By the end of the first quarter it was starting to sprinkle rain and by the half it was raining and getting colder. As the team came out to begin the second half the rain turned to sleet. By the end of the 3rd quarter it had turned to snow and by the end of the game there was 3 inches on the turf. You gotta love Boone in the Spring!!!
I wish i could have been there for that one

BeauFoster
April 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
I wish i could have been there for that one

No you don't! I was playing golf at Boone Golf Club in a little tournament that morning. When we teed off, I was in shorts and a windbreaker. By the 5th hole, there was a nice, cold rain coming down. By the turn, it was snowing. I had on my rain pants and rain jacket and was still freezing. I quit after that.xthumbsupx

GeauxColonels
April 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM
So, how is the demolition/construction coming along up there?

tarmac
April 10th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Less than 1/3 of the old pressbox remains, old restrooms is the south endzone are gone, new women's softball stadium is operational, new baseball stadium had first game today but stands still to be built over the summer, steel is up for the new indoor practice facility.

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 10:00 AM
the press box has been coming down piece by piece and should be done in about a week... thank GOD

CopperCat
April 11th, 2007, 01:54 PM
They should just do one mass demolition with some explosives. They could charge admission for people to sit in the visiting stands and watch it come down! I might pay to see that.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I would have loved to see that as well... but they claimed it would have damaged the existing seating structure... sure would have been cool to see though

lizrdgizrd
April 11th, 2007, 02:58 PM
They should just do one mass demolition with some explosives. They could charge admission for people to sit in the visiting stands and watch it come down! I might pay to see that.xthumbsupx
Explosions are cool, but they're trying not to destroy the existing stands. Wake Forest tried the explosion route on their press box and it caused more damage than they expected. xnodx

mountain man
April 11th, 2007, 03:21 PM
anyone have a photo of what is left of the old pressbox?

g-webb1994
April 11th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I'm happy for Appy's stadium renovation....but even more happy that the renovation at Dan'l Boone Inn is finally complete!xlolx

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 08:16 PM
yeah thank God for the Daniel Boone Inn situation... what an incredible restaurant...

appfan2008
April 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
anyone have a photo of what is left of the old pressbox?
i could probably get a pic tomorrow if i remember... i live in the stadium area so i see it everyday...

the remaining one third got a lot taken away from it today... the roof of that last section is gone and its looking like maybe only 3-5 more work days before it is completely gone!

gvilleapp
April 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I'm happy for Appy's stadium renovation....but even more happy that the renovation at Dan'l Boone Inn is finally complete!xlolx
Bridges BBQ in Shelby has the best hot dogs I have ever eaten!!! We've got to get the powers that be to continue our home and home series after this year if only for that reason! Very tasty Q too.

appfan2008
April 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM
i have heard that is a great place to eat but have never made it there myself

ASUPATCH
April 13th, 2007, 12:31 PM
http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/th300_pF7fvjE.jpgHere is the latest pic I have seen

Appstate29
April 13th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Bridges BBQ in Shelby has the best hot dogs I have ever eaten!!! We've got to get the powers that be to continue our home and home series after this year if only for that reason! Very tasty Q too.

bridges is my favorite Q place to eat. Great sweet tea too. I gain 5 lbs everytime i go there.

SoCon48
April 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/th300_pF7fvjE.jpgHere is the latest pic I have seen

At this rate, it will be down by July 4. xrolleyesx

appfan2008
April 13th, 2007, 03:09 PM
that pic was a couple of days ago... as i look out my window right now... i can see that the top part of that is off but the lower part still stands

gvilleapp
April 14th, 2007, 06:45 AM
bridges is my favorite Q place to eat. Great sweet tea too. I gain 5 lbs everytime i go there.
I always have a Q sandwich and then two hot dogs for desert. Moderation is not one of my strong suits.

g-webb1994
April 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I'll put Bridges hushpuppies and sweet tea up against anyone not only in NC, but in the USA. (Although tea from the Beacon ranks a close second).xbowx

I look forward to possibly making the trek up to Boone for the slaughter game on Sept. 15.....if both of our SID's would hurry up and post the damn football schedules already!xbangx

appfan2008
April 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
no joke about the schedules being announced sometime soon... we would love to have you up here in boone...

i made it to the game in boiling springs last year... were you there?... awesome expierence we really pack your place out...

g-webb1994
April 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Yep, I was there, wondering what kind of silver platter Appy was using in the first half to keep us in the game, and we still didn't take full advantage...ughxbawlingx

I don't know about Appy, but it is always a G-W tradition to piece together both the football and mens hoops schedules from other schools sites and other sources before they offically release it.

Spangler Stadium has come a long way in a short time. Appy packed it out for sure, and there has been good turnout for the high-school jamborees there in August the past two years too, although I didn't attend either one.

Hard to believe the NAIA title game was on that field just 15 years ago this fall....talk about choke jobs, but let's not elaborate on that or else more of xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

appfan2008
April 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM
do you have the answer i have been looking for???

why does you stadium get less steep the higher you go on the home side???

i found that to be so retarded

g-webb1994
April 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I've wondered that myself at times. It might have to do with the actual building attached to it somehow. Also, behind it there is a deep dip into a valley where parking is at then some woods that is G-W property. They kept the lower twenty rows or so of bleacher space entact from the original construction, so that could have played a role as well. I'm not an engineer for sure.xrotatehx

That was the visitor's side not too long ago, we had the sun beat down on us on that East side during day games...not pretty, but the home side is nice now. Also nice to have lights and play early season games at night too.

appfan2008
April 14th, 2007, 05:14 PM
was the asu game last year your largest crowd ever???

appfan2008
April 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM
all of the support beams for the old pressbox are completely gone!!! hopefully they can begin work on the new one soon!!!

Appstate29
April 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Indoor practice facility is also coming along nicely, drove by it the other day, looks...uhhh looks like a big storage facility but it'll be cool ot have once its finished

appfan2008
April 28th, 2007, 10:20 AM
yeah i can see it out the window where i am sitting in winkler right now... their are three sides with siding on it... yes yes it is ugly but it will serve its purpose

tralfangar
April 29th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I was looking at it from Rankin yesterday and all I could think was that they'd better do something to make it fit in aesthetically. As much as some alums hate the green roofs for school pride reasons, it's hard to deny that it really ties the campus together and helps the buildings blend in with the vegetation. Don't really think we need an eyesore next to our stadium.

Saint3333
April 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Guys two things, land and money, aren't growing on trees in Boone.

If you're complaining, I hope you've already sent your check in for the athletic enhancement campaign.

The building is much needed and WILL help with recruiting and athletes development. I'm sure Cobb & Co. will address the look of the exterior with landscaping, etc.

tralfangar
April 29th, 2007, 02:53 PM
I think the building is great in terms of recruiting and athletics and as soon as I HAVE some money I'll be donating regularly haha. Plus I've been "sending" money for 5 years through my student fees.

My argument is that I think they can have all that while still allowing the building to fit in with the rest of campus. It isn't done and I have not seen the plans for the building so I will wait and see what comes of it. As of now it looks like a glorified warehouse as Appstate29 already mentioned.

appfan2008
April 30th, 2007, 09:35 AM
i sure hope they at least paint it black and gold or something...

lizrdgizrd
April 30th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I think the building is great in terms of recruiting and athletics and as soon as I HAVE some money I'll be donating regularly haha. Plus I've been "sending" money for 5 years through my student fees.

My argument is that I think they can have all that while still allowing the building to fit in with the rest of campus. It isn't done and I have not seen the plans for the building so I will wait and see what comes of it. As of now it looks like a glorified warehouse as Appstate29 already mentioned.
I imagine they'll put some kind of facade on once the main construction is finished.

appfan2008
April 30th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I was looking at it from Rankin yesterday and all I could think was that they'd better do something to make it fit in aesthetically. As much as some alums hate the green roofs for school pride reasons, it's hard to deny that it really ties the campus together and helps the buildings blend in with the vegetation. Don't really think we need an eyesore next to our stadium.
you say you were in rankin... i have all of my classes in rankin and i was just wondering if i know you...

also you used the word aesthetically which is a typical planning word and the planning department is on the top floor of rankin and i am a planning major... i must...

pm me or something if you think you might

appfan2008
April 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I imagine they'll put some kind of facade on once the main construction is finished.
i would hope but i wouldnt be so sure... if you look at it... it looks like an outer shell... but trust me i am with you and hope that it has an outer layer we dont know about it

mistersykes
April 30th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Next semester, I'm all but going to live in Rankin.

The new building is an eyesore, but I'd say that its too early for harsh criticism.

tarmac
April 30th, 2007, 09:11 PM
indoor facility as 4-30-07

appfan2008
April 30th, 2007, 09:16 PM
the other side of it is finished and that is the side that faces toward the stadium parking and that is so ugly

SoCon48
April 30th, 2007, 09:36 PM
the other side of it is finished and that is the side that faces toward the stadium parking and that is so ugly

The right kind of landscaping could do wonders. Nice northern evergreen trees, etc. But I'm like you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

AppMan
April 30th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry guys, but imo it doesn't look all that bad.

th0m
May 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM
Besides, as the name implies, a practice facilities' first purpose is to be practical. I don't recall having seen too many aesthetically pleasing practice facilities. The fact that it is so close to the stadium, and therefore right in the middle of the attention is less than desirable, but since you don't have that much land to build (right?) things just are what they are.

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
Besides, as the name implies, a practice facilities' first purpose is to be practical. I don't recall having seen too many aesthetically pleasing practice facilities. The fact that it is so close to the stadium, and therefore right in the middle of the attention is less than desirable, but since you don't have that much land to build (right?) things just are what they are.
Gotta agree there, I was down in Dallas last summer for work and we drove by the Cowboys' indoor practice facility. It's huge and ugly!

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm sorry guys, but imo it doesn't look all that bad.

It really does, Doug. It doesn't even look like a building that you'd normally find on a campus unless the campus had a separate large maintenance/physical plant area. You can find buildings like that in the ads in the back of Progressive Farmer or the REA magazines.
But I'm counting on them finding a way to hide it or dress it up..a lot.

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 09:05 AM
And ya know what, it would make a great area for tailgating in cold weather. (leave the vehichles out of course) With band playing..echoing off the walls! What do you think?

Gotta have a huge block A on the end!

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 09:06 AM
Gotta agree there, I was down in Dallas last summer for work and we drove by the Cowboys' indoor practice facility. It's huge and ugly!

Can you see it from the stadium seating?

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Can you see it from the stadium seating?
I don't know, but you can see it from most places in Irving. xlolx

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 09:41 AM
the difference with our practice facility is that not only is it right next to the stadium and looks like a giant warehouse, it is also way up on the hill overlooking the entire campus, that is the worst part of the whole thing but i do have faith in the athletics department for turning it into something pretty in the end

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
I don't know, but you can see it from most places in Irving. xlolx

Actually theirs is outdoor I believe. The building looks like storage or something.

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
Actually theirs is outdoor I believe. The building looks like storage or something.
They must be storing their stadium in there then. That thing can be seen from space! xeekx

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 11:11 AM
A spare space shuttle.

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
No matter how it looks aesthetically, it will help in all aspects of football recruiting and practice

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
agreed but a pretty builiding keeps the recruits and the fans happy, an ugly one just keeps the recruits happy!

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'm sure that if they're planning to leave the sides looking like that they'll either slap some paint on it or get some of the artsy folks to do some kinda mural.

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm sure that if they're planning to leave the sides looking like that they'll either slap some paint on it or get some of the artsy folks to do some kinda mural.

That'd be a great idea. I'd love to see them maybe brick in a few a feet going up the sides, add some nice landscaping and use a little paint. Championship years, SoCon years, retired numbers, etc on the side would look fantastic.

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
a big collage of the two titles and other awards on the side of the building would be truly awesome...

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:35 PM
i will let this site know if/when any action on the new press box/suite begins... as of today nothing is going up...

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM

NO! PLEASE NO!!!

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 01:37 PM

NO! PLEASE NO!!! More gumbys.

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 01:38 PM

NO! PLEASE NO!!! No more gumbys.

lizrdgizrd
NO! PLEASE NO!!! No more gumbys.
I guess you're voting no? xlolx

appfan2008
if you have seen any of the "art" around this campus you would know what sort of an awful terrible crappy ridiculously nasty art we do display... it is disgusting...

lets leave it to athletics

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 01:40 PM
I have confidence that any art work would have to be approved by the AD or someone in the department.

Mountaineer
May 1st, 2007, 01:41 PM
if you have seen any of the "art" around this campus you would know what sort of an awful terrible crappy ridiculously nasty art we do display... it is disgusting...

lets leave it to athletics

Are you sure you're an App student? Do you ever have anything nice to say about your university and one day alma mater? I mean, I know we're not Duke (you're favorite school), but it's a rare sight for you to say anything remotely positive. xrolleyesx xnonox

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
Are you sure you're an App student? Do you ever have anything nice to say about your university and one day alma mater? I mean, I know we're not Duke (you're favorite school), but it's a rare sight for you to say anything remotely positive. xrolleyesx xnonox
i am sorry you do not know me but most all of my posts on here are positive about asu...
the fact that i dont care for this schools choice of art does not mean i dont like the school
i like asu more than duke...
dont attack me like that

i love asu... if you want i am in plemmons right now and you can come see me and see i am wearing asu gear as i always do...

wow grow up...

SoCon48
May 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
I guess you're voting no? xlolx

I meant Hell NO!

lizrdgizrd
May 1st, 2007, 01:48 PM
I meant Hell NO!
I guess I didn't get that from the other 3 posts. xlolx

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 01:49 PM
i think we all got the point :)

TheBisonator
May 1st, 2007, 04:25 PM

That's mostly true. The only practice facility I have seen that looked architecturally beautiful was Iowa State's. It looked kinda like the Biodome (or whatever it's called) in Montreal. All the others I have personally seen (including the Vikings, Packers, Broncos and Bears) look almost identical. Big rectangular boxes with gable roofs and pole-barn paneling.

appfan2008
May 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
that is basically what ours looks like so far...

BigApp
May 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
I meant Hell NO!

you really shouldn't leave your options open like this...xlolx

AppGuy04
May 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
that is basically what ours looks like so far...

its for players and recruits, not for fans, it doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing

would you rather they spend money on landscaping that will be covered by snow anyways or actually equipment that will help our boys

th0m
May 2nd, 2007, 05:33 AM
That's mostly true. The only practice facility I have seen that looked architecturally beautiful was Iowa State's. It looked kinda like the Biodome (or whatever it's called) in Montreal. All the others I have personally seen (including the Vikings, Packers, Broncos and Bears) look almost identical. Big rectangular boxes with gable roofs and pole-barn paneling.

Wow, that practice facility looks very nice. It reminds me a bit of Yale's ice rink, but in a more modern jacket (although Saarinen was definitely a modern architect for his time).

appfan2008
May 2nd, 2007, 07:50 AM
its for players and recruits, not for fans, it doesn't have to be aesthetically pleasing

would you rather they spend money on landscaping that will be covered by snow anyways or actually equipment that will help our boys
good point lets go for the equipment

CopperCat
May 2nd, 2007, 11:13 AM
good point lets go for the equipment

You will eventually notice that something is missing though. Landscaping adds alot to buildings (I know, I did it for three years in college, three years I will never get back).

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM

I hate to say it, but the dude is right about the art.

I do commend App for converting the old incinerator smoke stack into a clock tower. However, I still think we need something special to add to the college campus look.

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM

I dunno. When we have fans and donors buying box seats for 10 grand, they might want to look at something a little better
from their seats than this Lowe's building.
We all want ASU's facilities to not only become first class, but to look first class. Just hoping that we left room for some nice mountain ever greens to cover that end.
One of the things most new fans say about attending ASU football games is the unmatched setting.

AppGuy04
May 2nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
I dunno. When we have fans and donors buying box seats for 10 grand, they might want to look at something a little better
from their seats than this Lowe's building.
We all want ASU's facilities to not only become first class, but to look first class. Just hoping that we left room for some nice mountain ever greens to cover that end.
One of the things most new fans say about attending ASU football games is the unmatched setting.

when deciding to buy tickets, product on the field is alot more important than what the practice facility looks like

MYTAPPY
May 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
I hate to say it, but the dude is right about the art.

I do commend App for converting the old incinerator smoke stack into a clock tower. However, I still think we need something special to add to the college campus look.

My father was the architect for the steam plant. Along with the park next too it, and the baseball field, and the Welborn renovation(currently under construction). And the green roof is the universities decision, not the builder.

jmuroller
May 2nd, 2007, 01:10 PM
Having an indoor facility is huge when it comes to recruiting. You have a leg up on almost all the schools you will recruit against. JMU has one of, if not the best facilities in 1-AA, and we don't have an indoor facility. Regardless of what the outside looks like, telling a recruit that you have an indoor makes you like big time to a high school kid. Ditto for the pressbox/sky suites that you are putting in

JMU is going to announce plans to build something like you guys in the next week or so. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Should be awesome!!

CopperCat
May 2nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
when deciding to buy tickets, product on the field is alot more important than what the practice facility looks like

But the product on the field can be affected by the aesthetics of the facilities to a degre......everything is tied together

Appstate29
May 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
But the product on the field can be affected by the aesthetics of the facilities to a degre......everything is tied together

it doesn't matter what the practice facility looks like cuz we're going to build huge grandstands where it is anyway when we bowl in the stadium xnodx

also, yeah the art on campus is weird, but sometimes they get some really really cool stuff. Anyone remember the bronze statue with the wheel coming out of the head?? That was awesome.

SoCon48
May 2nd, 2007, 08:58 PM
My father was the architect for the steam plant. Along with the park next too it, and the baseball field, and the Welborn renovation(currently under construction). And the green roof is the universities decision, not the builder.

As I said once before, I have no problem with the green roofs after i stood on the hill by old Chappell Wilson Hall and looked across the campus at some of our buildings framed by the tall Nordic type evergreen trees. it gave the ASU buildings with the green roofs a classy European look.
The steam plant looks good. Not so industrial looking. We need the park areas as well as large grassy commons.

APP91
May 2nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Having an indoor facility is huge when it comes to recruiting. You have a leg up on almost all the schools you will recruit against. JMU has one of, if not the best facilities in 1-AA, and we don't have an indoor facility. Regardless of what the outside looks like, telling a recruit that you have an indoor makes you like big time to a high school kid. Ditto for the pressbox/sky suites that you are putting in

JMU is going to announce plans to build something like you guys in the next week or so. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Should be awesome!!

With the rate we are going, you guys will be finished before we are!
Took 4 1/2 months to remove the press boxxsplatx

asu3peat
May 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Could the Quinn have been converted into our indoor practice/workout facility to help save money for stadium expansion? It's aesthetically pleasing and the students have the New Rec center which is first class. Just thought I would throw that out there.

MYTAPPY
May 3rd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Could the Quinn have been converted into our indoor practice/workout facility to help save money for stadium expansion? It's aesthetically pleasing and the students have the New Rec center which is first class. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Good question and welcome aboard asu3peat.

asu3peat
May 3rd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Thank you MYT....I've been reading this board for while. I read more than I post!

appfan2008
May 3rd, 2007, 09:42 AM
seems like it would have been a good idea to me... the area of the quinn with four basketball courts seems like it would have been as good of an option as any...

Appstate29
May 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM

I guess techinically it could have been, but the rec center was never meant to be a replacement for the Quinn. The quinn has several things the rec center does not, raquetball courts, aerobics floor, more comprehensive weight room. ect. ect.

appfan2008
May 3rd, 2007, 09:51 AM
I guess techinically it could have been, but the rec center was never meant to be a replacement for the Quinn. The quinn has several things the rec center does not, raquetball courts, aerobics floor, more comprehensive weight room. ect. ect.
yes this is true but the way i look at it that area that you have mentioned would be able to stay and just the back area could have been converted... there is nothing back there that isnt at the new rec center... but of course it all doesnt matter that the indoor place is already almost all built!

lizrdgizrd
May 3rd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I think the limitations of reusing a building built for a different purpose is something they wanted to avoid. It's a question of getting a purpose-built indoor sports training facility or making compromises in order to convert another building built with a different purpose in mind. They got the money and wanted the best facilities they could get.

mountain man
May 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
The new press box is actually a 7 story building that will house the athelitic offices as well. The new indoor facility is directly behind it and will be much closer and easier to go back and forth. Not to mention being built specifically as a training facility.

CopperCat
May 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
The new press box is actually a 7 story building that will house the athelitic offices as well. The new indoor facility is directly behind it and will be much closer and easier to go back and forth. Not to mention being built specifically as a training facility.

That's great that they are integrating everything into one location which is already a sports venue. University of Colorado did something like that too, except they took it a step further and put more in the stadium like the ROTC detachment that is there. Pretty smart really (and that stadium is sick too, one of the best I have been to).

tarmac
May 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM
latest pics

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/blog/

lizrdgizrd
May 11th, 2007, 02:34 PM
latest pics
I'm hoping they'll at least put the big A on the end of that. Kinda surprised they didn't put on a green roof.

HiHiYikas
May 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I'm hoping they'll at least put the big A on the end of that. Kinda surprised they didn't put on a green roof.
Yeah, the non-green roof is a little surprising. The side of a building would be the perfect place to showcase the full out mountaineers logo. Even if not the whole thing, at least the version of the logo without the man-in-the-mountain.

https://www.ticketreturn.com/prod2/images/ASU-logo.gif

Mountaineer
May 11th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Agree 100% with ya HiHi. It'd be really nice to see a logo or something on the side. No doubt it's going to be a really nice facility, but it needs some aesthetic work to bring it into the fold with the rest of campus.

Here's more of an update from JTApps1 over on the MMB:

I was in Boone on Tuesday so I can give everyone an update.

Behind the west stands: All of the support beems have been taken down and there is a crew digging out the remainding footings about 8 feet underground. I would think that they will be able to start digging out the hill within a couple of weeks to get ready to dig the foundation.

Indoor Practice Facility: Three sides have siding up and one half of of the roof is now up. The very back of the building still has to be erected and covered due to a small mud slide that had to be cleared up. It looked like they were taking soil samples to makes sure the ground was stable at that end and ready for the steel to go up.

Baseball field: I was told that construction on the stands, pressbox, and club house will begin ASAP after Friday's game. The seating will be 2,000 black chair back seats. Indoor hitting cage is finished and has been in use for a few weeks now.

Stadium Lot: The paving crew was busy tearing up all of the old pavement in Stadium and had already torn up Justice. The did Justice on Monday and had roughly 1/3 of stadium done on Tuesday.

Sorry I didn't post this any earlier, but I got home late Tuesday and went to Davidson yesterday to cheer on the Apps.

GaSouthern
May 11th, 2007, 04:11 PM
reminds me ALOT of the Ea Sports generic I-AA stadiums with the side building they always put in there.

Yosef_grrl99
May 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM

why is it exactly that some people seem to have an allergic reaction to a green roof? xconfusedx

SoCon48
May 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM

The Lowe's building doesn't come with a green roof.xlolx