PDA

View Full Version : NAU announces 2018 schedule

dbackjon
February 7th, 2018, 11:19 AM
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/nau/2018/02/06/nau-2018-football-schedule/312142002/

Sat., Sept. 1: at UTEP, El Paso, Texas.

Sat., Sept. 8: Eastern Washington, Walkup Skydome

Sat., Sept. 15: at Missouri State, Springfield, Mo.

Sat., Sept 22: Southern Utah, Walkup Skydome

Sat., Sept. 29: at Idaho State, Pocatello, Idaho

Sat., Oct. 6: Weber State, Walkup Skydome

Sat., Oct. 13: Off

Sat., Oct. 20: at Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colo.

Sat., Oct. 27: Cal Poly (Homecoming), Walkup Skydome

Sat., Nov. 3: at UC Davis, Davis, Calif.

Sat., Nov. 10: at Sacramento State, Sacramento, Calif.

Sat., Nov. 17: North Dakota (Senior Night), Walkup Skydome

OOC schedule in BOLD

dbackjon
February 7th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Good OOC - EWU, Missouri State away, UTEP away

Hate that SUU is not the final game of the season.

Sucks that there are no Montana Schools this year

ST_Lawson
February 7th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Sorry, we took them all.

Grizzlies82
February 7th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Good OOC - EWU, Missouri State away, UTEP away

Hate that SUU is not the final game of the season.

Lumberjack, It looks like a good schedule for No. Arizona. A bit surprised you don't have your usual U. of Arizona or ASU road game to open.

As to the lack of MT schools. I'm still ticked off with the grossly over expanded Big Sky conference and our lack of playing each other. Honestly still think they need to break up the conference into two. Yet we know that won't happen. Good luck to your Jacks in 2018.

dbackjon
February 7th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Lumberjack, It looks like a good schedule for No. Arizona. A bit surprised you don't have your usual U. of Arizona or ASU road game to open.

As to the lack of MT schools. I'm still ticked off with the grossly over expanded Big Sky conference and our lack of playing each other. Honestly still think they need to break up the conference into two. Yet we know that won't happen. Good luck to your Jacks in 2018.

NAU has chosen to skip the UA/ASU games if a reasonable alternative can be found. We play ASU in 2020, 2022, 2025 and 2028 - roughly every three years. We play Arizona in 2019, 2021, 2023, 2024 and 2026.

So no game this year, but every year but 2027 until 2028.

Yeah, I wish we had our 9-team BSC back. Good luck to the Griz

Outsider1
February 7th, 2018, 04:03 PM

The Big Sky is the biggest, but not by much; only a school or two depending on if you include only football. It covers such a big area geographically that is more spread out. Unless just a couple of schools want to move over to another somewhat nearby conference, it isn't worth it to split the conference.

Outsider1
February 7th, 2018, 04:07 PM
https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/nau/2018/02/06/nau-2018-football-schedule/312142002/

Sat., Sept. 1: at UTEP, El Paso, Texas.

Sat., Sept. 8: Eastern Washington, Walkup Skydome

Sat., Sept. 15: at Missouri State, Springfield, Mo.

Sat., Sept 22: Southern Utah, Walkup Skydome

Sat., Sept. 29: at Idaho State, Pocatello, Idaho

Sat., Oct. 6: Weber State, Walkup Skydome

Sat., Oct. 13: Off

Sat., Oct. 20: at Northern Colorado, Greeley, Colo.

Sat., Oct. 27: Cal Poly (Homecoming), Walkup Skydome

Sat., Nov. 3: at UC Davis, Davis, Calif.

Sat., Nov. 10: at Sacramento State, Sacramento, Calif.

Sat., Nov. 17: North Dakota (Senior Night), Walkup Skydome

OOC schedule in BOLD

Why do you count Eastern Washington as OOC? Is it only because you count an 8 game conference schedule?

dbackjon
February 7th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Why do you count Eastern Washington as OOC? Is it only because you count an 8 game conference schedule?

Correct - EWU is not on the conference schedule for 2018. We don't play them this year or next, IIRC, so we agreed to an OOC schedule with them. Hard to get FCS teams to go to both of our schools.

Outsider1
February 8th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Correct - EWU is not on the conference schedule for 2018. We don't play them this year or next, IIRC, so we agreed to an OOC schedule with them. Hard to get FCS teams to go to both of our schools.

Thanks, it makes me wonder why you only do an 8 conference game schedule with so many teams?

dbackjon
February 8th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Thanks, it makes me wonder why you only do an 8 conference game schedule with so many teams?

A nine game schedule would only leave two OOC games - making it harder to schedule enough home games and/or payday games. Montana/MSU like having 6 home games, something that would be very hard to pull off with a nine-game schedule.

I also don't like it because every other year you are playing more road games than half the conference.

Outsider1
February 8th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Just wondering why there wouldn't be that consistency between conferences. The SLC plays 9 conference and 2 OOC. We only have 5 home games. I would actually like to see more games, but again it is interesting that decision must be left to the conferences and not NCAA?

***When we were looking to add another OOC game for next year, I thought you guys would actually be a good home and away choice. Besides some of the nearest SWAC schools, you were one of the better programs that was at least within reasonable distance. I grew up in AZ and many of my HS friends are now NAU alum, so was curious when I saw you post your schedule.***

Iridebikes
February 8th, 2018, 11:04 AM
A nine game schedule would only leave two OOC games - making it harder to schedule enough home games and/or payday games. Montana/MSU like having 6 home games, something that would be very hard to pull off with a nine-game schedule.

I also don't like it because every other year you are playing more road games than half the conference.

While like most I do think that the BSC is too large and would prefer a reduction, I don't think that going to a 9 game conference schedule would be of benefit. It removes one of the few opportunities that the conference teams have to schedule an FCS opponent outside of conference. Those games allow the conference and its teams to measure where its at in comparison to the rest of the FCS.

Outsider1
February 8th, 2018, 11:27 AM
While like most I do think that the BSC is too large and would prefer a reduction, I don't think that going to a 9 game conference schedule would be of benefit. It removes one of the few opportunities that the conference teams have to schedule an FCS opponent outside of conference. Those games allow the conference and its teams to measure where its at in comparison to the rest of the FCS.

Yes, but in this case NAU scheduled an OOC game with an in conference opponent... EWU is still Big Sky.

dbackjon
February 8th, 2018, 02:39 PM
Just wondering why there wouldn't be that consistency between conferences. The SLC plays 9 conference and 2 OOC. We only have 5 home games. I would actually like to see more games, but again it is interesting that decision must be left to the conferences and not NCAA?

***When we were looking to add another OOC game for next year, I thought you guys would actually be a good home and away choice. Besides some of the nearest SWAC schools, you were one of the better programs that was at least within reasonable distance. I grew up in AZ and many of my HS friends are now NAU alum, so was curious when I saw you post your schedule.***

I would think a series with ACU would be a natural

ursus arctos horribilis
February 8th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Yes, but in this case NAU scheduled an OOC game with an in conference opponent... EWU is still Big Sky.

Yes, it's an option for those two teams IF they want to do it. I would never want to see us pinned down to a 9 game conference schedule. Choices are better than not having them and a conference is really limiting it's members when you have that.

I think our too big conference sucks a bit too. 9 teams is the perfect number of course but I would rather have it this way than adding another conference game in there.