PDA

View Full Version : Islanders Need Plan for Football for SLC

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM
KRISTV.com is reporting that the Islanders are going to need to think long and hard, while showing some effort to ponder football while the SLC moves towards expansion plans here in the next few months.
------
Isles preparing plan for Southland Conference

CORPUS CHRISTI - The Southland Conference is pressing the Islanders to come up with a plan to add football. The university will only add the sport, if it's financially feasible. Still, the conference wants them to come up with a plan.

The Islanders won't play football for another five years, at the earliest. If they do play, their home for the time being will be Buc Stadium. The Southland wants the Isles to conduct a survey, and show a good faith effort to make football a reality.

"I'm fairly comfortable with it. I come from a football background. I played it, coached it. I was at UTEP when they had 1A football, was at the University of Wyoming when they had division 1A football. So, I really don't have a problem with it. The key is going to be coming up with a funding mechanism to field a team," said Isles athletic director, Dan Viola.

Meanwhile, within the next several years the Islanders plan to spruce up the baseball and softball facilities by constructing a building in between the two fields. That building will include a press box on each side, concession stands, and restrooms.

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3615909&nav=BsmjcL7a

GeauxLions94
July 20th, 2005, 07:23 AM
KRISTV.com is reporting that the Islanders are going to need to think long and hard, while showing some effort to ponder football while the SLC moves towards expansion plans here in the next few months.
------
Isles preparing plan for Southland Conference

CORPUS CHRISTI - The Southland Conference is pressing the Islanders to come up with a plan to add football. The university will only add the sport, if it's financially feasible. Still, the conference wants them to come up with a plan.

The Islanders won't play football for another five years, at the earliest. If they do play, their home for the time being will be Buc Stadium. The Southland wants the Isles to conduct a survey, and show a good faith effort to make football a reality.

"I'm fairly comfortable with it. I come from a football background. I played it, coached it. I was at UTEP when they had 1A football, was at the University of Wyoming when they had division 1A football. So, I really don't have a problem with it. The key is going to be coming up with a funding mechanism to field a team," said Isles athletic director, Dan Viola.

Meanwhile, within the next several years the Islanders plan to spruce up the baseball and softball facilities by constructing a building in between the two fields. That building will include a press box on each side, concession stands, and restrooms.

http://www.kristv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3615909&nav=BsmjcL7a

Note to the TAMU-CC AD ... UTEP and Wyoming still have I-A football ;) ... at least on paper :rolleyes:

While I still think they would be a good member of the Southland, that last paragraph kind of startles me in the fact they don't have an adequate on-campus baseball or softball facility. :eek:

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I hear Southeastern's softball facility is the pits...and I know the facility in San Marcos is pretty pathetic too. We've got some awful facilities in this conference...

colgate13
July 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Dumb question: who are the Islanders?

89Hen
July 20th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know. :o

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, one of two schools being looked at for SLC expansion along with Central Arkansas.

89Hen
July 20th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Texas Agricultural and Military University - Corpus Christi Islanders? :eek: I guess everyting is bigger in Texas, even the names of the schools.

TxSt02
July 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM
I hear Southeastern's softball facility is the pits...and I know the facility in San Marcos is pretty pathetic too. We've got some awful facilities in this conference...

Yeah and we could say the same about your football stadium... Nice 70's astroturf and endzone complex! Did you guys get your turf from the Astrodome after the Oilers left? No seriously...

TxSt02
July 20th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Texas Agricultural and Military University - Corpus Christi Islanders? :eek: I guess everyting is bigger in Texas, even the names of the schools.

Mechanical not Military but it should be military with that so called unrespected corp they have... If you asked me, I think they all look like gay sailors...

ccujacket
July 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Guess which conference they play their softball in?? :rolleyes:

89Hen
July 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Mechanical not Military but it should be military with that so called unrespected corp they have... If you asked me, I think they all look like gay sailors...
:nod:

GeauxLions94
July 20th, 2005, 12:08 PM

...starting with your own. Before you go on ripping other school's facilities, what about your baseball AND softball facilities (before you finally saw reality and built a new facility)? :spank:

colgate13
July 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Dumb question #2: Is Corpus Christi, TX an island?

GeauxLions94
July 20th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Dumb question #2: Is Corpus Christi, TX an island?

The school is located on an island

89Hen
July 20th, 2005, 12:18 PM
I'll be damned.

http://www.tamucc.edu/islnviews/images/aer2003b-750.jpg

buckp
July 20th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Looks like hurricane bait....:nod:

colgate13
July 20th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Dumb question #3: Where in the hell are they going to build a football stadium on that island?

The Gadfly
July 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM
I'll be damned.

http://www.tamucc.edu/islnviews/images/aer2003b-750.jpg

HOLY CRAP! Talk about infrastructure problems. I hope Emily didn't eat it up. :confused:

ccujacket
July 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I'll be damned.

That looks like a freakin nice place to go to college, IMO.

ccujacket
July 20th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Looks like the rectangular area between that pool and those buildings by the softball field and tennis courts is the right size.

89Hen
July 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Dumb question #3: Where in the hell are they going to build a football stadium on that island? Here

TexasTerror
July 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Dumb question #3: Where in the hell are they going to build a football stadium on that island?

It'd have to be a deal with the local school district or something on a stadium that could be shared by both. There's I believe, FIVE schools that are 5A (highest classification) that need use of the stadium, so perhaps they could build a new stadium...

colgate13
July 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Both 89 and jacket need some lessons in scale!

A football stadium can't fit next to the pool. Maybe a field could. And that very creative placement of a stadium makes the stands but c'mon - that so much smaller scale than the surroundings, no?

Take a look at the scale of The Citadel's stadium (attached):

Compare the size of the football stadium realtive to the baseball field, and then try and fit it in the image of Corpus Christi. It ain't happening IMO.