PDA

View Full Version : JSU picks up Clemson QB Transfer

jsugamecockfan
January 23rd, 2018, 10:10 PM
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/jacksonville_state_lands_clems.html

Derby City Duke
January 23rd, 2018, 10:20 PM
What do you think his impact will actually be? Doesn't seem to be enough data to assess his dual threat abilities. Is this mostly a case of a guy who wants to see the field?

BisonFan02
January 23rd, 2018, 10:24 PM
It doesn't work...........

jsugamecockfan
January 23rd, 2018, 10:32 PM
What do you think his impact will actually be? Doesn't seem to be enough data to assess his dual threat abilities. Is this mostly a case of a guy who wants to see the field?
Clemson coaches say he had the strongest arm on the team but was young and needed to grow. Clemson had the number one QB come in last year and has a fantastic QB in Trevor Lawrence coming in next year. I think he was just a product of attrition and a crowded team at QB. Bryant Horn does not seem to be returning for JSU next year and this could be tightening up the JSU QB situation which is kind of a question mark right now. I do not know how I feel about us bringing in so many transfers this season but they will still have to earn the job at the end of the day.

BisonFan02
January 23rd, 2018, 11:05 PM
Clemson coaches say he had the strongest arm on the team but was young and needed to grow. Clemson had the number one QB come in last year and has a fantastic QB in Trevor Lawrence coming in next year. I think he was just a product of attrition and a crowded team at QB. Bryant Horn does not seem to be returning for JSU next year and this could be tightening up the JSU QB situation which is kind of a question mark right now. I do not know how I feel about us bringing in so many transfers this season but they will still have to earn the job at the end of the day.

How on earth would you guys ever be able to recruit and build a program when players are constantly bumped for FBS castoffs? You end up hitting the reset button just about every year.....someday you might actually catch a flash in the pan I guess?

JSUSoutherner
January 23rd, 2018, 11:08 PM
How on earth would you guys ever be able to recruit and build a program when players are constantly bumped for FBS castoffs? You end up hitting the reset button just about every year.....someday you might actually catch a flash in the pan I guess?
We have gotten two transfers so far this season. And there’s a chance neither will even play.

jsugamecockfan
January 23rd, 2018, 11:46 PM
We have gotten two transfers so far this season. And there’s a chance neither will even play.

yep cause Landon Rice is coming from a JUCO.

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2018, 05:35 AM

It's still a valid point, in my view. One of the unintended consequences of accepting a lot of transfers (or, say, players that were not recruited into the program directly out of high school) is you can get to a point where guys that are "day 1" type players constantly have to worry about their playing time getting taken by a new guy. How do you pitch that to a recruit?

Bison56
January 24th, 2018, 06:41 AM

^This

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Jacksonville State is an interesting case. They have arguably one of the easiest roads deep into the post season. They play maybe only one or two games a year against teams that can actually beat them. Their weak conference schedule virtually guarantees a high seed and home games in the post season. They have great facilities and a good fan base.

At some point, do you look at your model and say "is this really working?"

- - - Updated - - -

I just betcha Cooper isn't leaving his job as a backup at Clemson to be a backup at Jacksonville State.

jsualumnus
January 24th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Guys... We are talking about 3-4 transfers this year, a couple last year, but on everage JSU brings in 3-4 per year. Everybody else is home grown and primarily recruited within a 5 state region. While I would agree that a reset button would be getting pushed every year if you crammed your roster with FBS transfers, err Saviors, JSU takes advantage of receiving players that get buried on FBS rosters.

We discuss this topic over on gojaxstate.boards.net frequently. You can scare HS recruits away who feel like they would never play, and that pisses off HS coaches to the point where JSU could be a bad word at local schools. That’s not the case here... JSU has great relationships at many schools. Our HS recruits are not choosing Alabama/Auburn/Georgia over JSU. Those kids have the option for FBS and never consider FCS until they aren’t playing. JSU targets, and does very well, with the kids who are recruited heavily by the uab’s, troy state’s, mtsu’s, and usa’s of the G5’s. We do great against other FCS programs around the south also. It would be great if we were NDSU and recruiting FBS players with no really good FBS school to go to, around that region, and I mean no offense to NDSU or the FBS programs close by. It is what it is...

Redbird 4th & short
January 24th, 2018, 08:52 AM
It doesn't USUALLY work...........

FIFY ... case in point, ISUr Tre Roberson. He was splitting time (getting short end) at Indiana with now Eagles 3rd stringer Nate Sudfield .. behind your Wentz and now Foles. But Tre knew they were always going to give Sudfield much more of the game reps, so he transferred over the summer as a JR. Took a about 8 games into season before he found his groove, and went on a tear. At 6'0" 205 lbs, he was a little smaller than Zerrick Cooper, and I think better runner. But Cooper has pretty good stats playing in very similar role at Clemson as dual threat platoon option .. but Cooper seems to pass more than run, compared to Roberson .. at least at FBS level.

Spack relied more in FBS transfers his first 3-4 years at ISU, but our roster had very few by our Natty run year ..mainly QB Roberson and LB Dunmore (pushed out a year later). To your point, Less than half panned out for us, probably closer to a third wound up starting or getting quality reps in the 2009 to 2013 time frame. Most flirted with 2nd string and ultimately left frustrated or were pushed out. But since 2013, there have been very few.

This guy may be the perfect scenario .. like Roberson was .. just wants to play every down really bad. Hard to knock this decision .. kid wants to play, so JSU is giving him a chance with a 5th year SR QB and this guy coming in as RS SO. On surface ... seems like win win and no lines crossed. Nothing wrong with plugging a few holes. But do agree with your more general point .. don't depend on this .. it will kill your recruiting pitch. Spack only did it early on because it was not his roster and there were gaping holes to fill.

clenz
January 24th, 2018, 08:57 AM
4 per year, plus 5th year transfers means 15ish players in your roster at any given time are FBS transfers. That’s ~15% of your roster. It’s also probably about 40%of your 2 deep most weeks. Throw in JUCOs and you could easily be at over a quarter of your roster being transfers. The average FBS and JUCO transfer have 2 years of eligibility left. That means your turning your roster over at a significantly faster rate than programs that develop from the initial contact in HS through graduation day after 5 years on campus. That’s a 7 year bond more than it’s not. That builds trust in each other (player-player and coach-player). The program becomes their home, their family.

I’m certainly not anti transfer. UNI has gotten some pretty damn important players from transfers over the years. A couple All Americans this year. NFL draft picks in the past. Thankfully all of them came in with 3 years (or 4 because they redshirted) and became part of the family. It’s not a coincidence that as UNI became more transfer reliant our culture, our success, etc. dropped off. We had 3 straight transfer QBs that set our program back at least 4 years with this last season being year 1 of that rebuild and it started with a JR QB that we were his first offer out of HS. First to recruit. Got on campus and RS.

NDSU fans have as staunch and anti transfer take as there is. It works for them. There is a balance. Building 20% or more of the roster from transfers isn’t part of the balance IMO though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2018, 09:02 AM
Guys... We are talking about 3-4 transfers this year, a couple last year, but on everage JSU brings in 3-4 per year. Everybody else is home grown and primarily recruited within a 5 state region. While I would agree that a reset button would be getting pushed every year if you crammed your roster with FBS transfers, err Saviors, JSU takes advantage of receiving players that get buried on FBS rosters.

We discuss this topic over on gojaxstate.boards.net frequently. You can scare HS recruits away who feel like they would never play, and that pisses off HS coaches to the point where JSU could be a bad word at local schools. That’s not the case here... JSU has great relationships at many schools. Our HS recruits are not choosing Alabama/Auburn/Georgia over JSU. Those kids have the option for FBS and never consider FCS until they aren’t playing. JSU targets, and does very well, with the kids who are recruited heavily by the uab’s, troy state’s, mtsu’s, and usa’s of the G5’s. We do great against other FCS programs around the south also. It would be great if we were NDSU and recruiting FBS players with no really good FBS school to go to, around that region, and I mean no offense to NDSU or the FBS programs close by. It is what it is...

My math may be wrong (probably is), but if JSU accepts 3-4 transfers a year equates to 12-16 transfers on the roster (3-4 for each class). I would expect that each of those transfers will be on the dress squad and probably playing. There may be instances where a player transfers to JSU and doesn't dress or play, but I doubt it.

If there are 63 scholarship players, and roughly that many in uniform at a game, then roughly 20-25% of players at any JSU game are transfers (12-16/63).

So yes, the majority of the roster is "home grown," but I don't think there is any serious dispute that accepting outside players is a huge part of JSU's roster building operation.

Sycamore62
January 24th, 2018, 09:50 AM
We got Mike Perish and Ronnie Fouch as transfers. arguably the major reasons we didnt continue losing 9+ games per season.

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2018, 10:04 AM
We got Mike Perish and Ronnie Fouch as transfers. arguably the major reasons we didnt continue losing 9+ games per season.

There's nothing wrong with accepting transfers. It's just tough to make that a consistent way to build a roster.

I say that as a Furman fan, a team that benefited from perhaps the one of if not the most impactful transfers in FCS history.

Outsider1
January 24th, 2018, 10:04 AM

Forget about the transfers, your avatar rocks ;)

JSUSoutherner
January 24th, 2018, 10:12 AM
4 per year, plus 5th year transfers means 15ish players in your roster at any given time are FBS transfers. That’s ~15% of your roster. It’s also probably about 40%of your 2 deep most weeks. Throw in JUCOs and you could easily be at over a quarter of your roster being transfers. The average FBS and JUCO transfer have 2 years of eligibility left. That means your turning your roster over at a significantly faster rate than programs that develop from the initial contact in HS through graduation day after 5 years on campus. That’s a 7 year bond more than it’s not. That builds trust in each other (player-player and coach-player). The program becomes their home, their family.

I’m certainly not anti transfer. UNI has gotten some pretty damn important players from transfers over the years. A couple All Americans this year. NFL draft picks in the past. Thankfully all of them came in with 3 years (or 4 because they redshirted) and became part of the family. It’s not a coincidence that as UNI became more transfer reliant our culture, our success, etc. dropped off. We had 3 straight transfer QBs that set our program back at least 4 years with this last season being year 1 of that rebuild and it started with a JR QB that we were his first offer out of HS. First to recruit. Got on campus and RS.

NDSU fans have as staunch and anti transfer take as there is. It works for them. There is a balance. Building 20% or more of the roster from transfers isn’t part of the balance IMO though.

We had 13 FBS transfers on the roster last year. Only 4 were starters. The majority of our FBS guys are, and always have been, depth guys. Cooper will have to earn his spot against Zion Webb this season. We don’t hand out starting spots because there’s a few stars next to your name. We had a 4 star SEC transfer play benchwarmer last season.

The QB we had behind Eli Jenkins was a 4 star.

PaladinFan
January 24th, 2018, 10:15 AM
We had 13 FBS transfers on the roster last year. Only 4 were starters. The majority of our FBS guys are, and always have been, depth guys. Cooper will have to earn his spot against Zion Webb this season. We don’t hand out starting spots because there’s a few stars next to your name. We had a 4 star SEC transfer play benchwarmer last season.

The QB we had behind Eli Jenkins was a 5 Star.

I guess the question is why doesn't JSU just go out and recruit and develop depth guys? Just easier to land transfers? Let someone else develop them and coach them and then go bring them in?

JSUSoutherner
January 24th, 2018, 10:20 AM
I guess the question is why doesn't JSU just go out and recruit and develop depth guys? Just easier to land transfers? Let someone else develop them and coach them and then go bring them in?
A lot of cases the guys we land as transfers are guys we were recruiting out of high school to begin with. That’s why 90+% of our roster is Alabama/ Georgia guys. They are good enough players to get an SEC offer and took their shot if it doesn’t work out they come back to us.

Roc Thomas is probably our most notable example of that.

Also, bringing in transfers helps us redshirt more freshmen. Then we get guys like Casey Dunn, Justin Lea, Siran Neal, Darius Jackson, and Marlon Bridges.

FUBeAR
January 24th, 2018, 10:50 AM

The QB we had behind Eli Jenkins was a 4 star.

I guess it could depend on how you define "Transfers." I tend to use a broader definition than "FBS Transfers." I go with 'played somewhere else for at least a season after they finished high school.' Using that definition, I showed 24 Transfers on JSU's roster last year; 15 FBS.

#
Fname
Lname
POS1
HT
WT
YR
Hometown
ST
Previous College

Tramel
Terry
RB
R-Jr.
Goose Creek
SC
Georgia

Shaq
Davidson
WR
R-Jr.
Gaffney
SC
South Carolina

Jonathan
Hagler
DB
R-Sr.
Leeds
AL
Arizona Western College

Kendrick
Doss
QB
R-Jr.
Florence
AL
NE Mississippi CC

Joel
McCandless
LB
Sr.
Birmingham
AL
Hinds (Miss.) CC

Justin
Thomas-Thornton
DL
R-Jr.
Prichard
AL
Auburn

Kevin
Spears
WR
R-Sr.
New Orleans
LA
LSU

Roc
Thomas
RB
Sr.
Oxford
AL
Auburn

Ra'Shad
Green
DB
R-Sr.
Reserve
LA
Cornell College

Krenwick
Sanders
WR
R-Jr.
Jesup
GA
Wisconsin

Pat
Porter
DB
R-Jr.
Tuscaloosa
AL
Washington State

Dean
Kelly
P
Sr.
Melbourne
AUS
Stillman College

Freddie
Montgomery, Jr.
DB
Rf.
Bel Air
MD
Atlanta Sports Academy

Chris
Wilkerson
DB
Rf.
Bessemer
AL
South Alabama

Joseph
Roberts
DL
R-Jr.
Trussville
AL
UAB

Connor
Christian
DL
R-Jr.
Dallas
GA
Savannah State

David
Neece
OL
R-Sr.
Clanton
AL
Troy

Hunter
Sosebee
OL
R-So.
Ringgold
GA
Old Dominion

Darius
Anderson
OL
R-So.
Jonesboro
GA
East Carolina

B.J.
Autry
OL
R-Jr.
Eight Mile
AL
Baylor

Austin
Cummins
TE
Rf.
Stevenson
AL
Louisville

Penny
Smith
WR
R-Jr.
Knoxville
TN
Oklahoma A&M

Gerald
Sterling
DL
R-Sr.
Aliceville
AL
Washington State

Earl
Moss
DL
R-So.
Munford
AL
Miles College

beerkat
January 24th, 2018, 11:55 AM
It's still a valid point, in my view. One of the unintended consequences of accepting a lot of transfers (or, say, players that were not recruited into the program directly out of high school) is you can get to a point where guys that are "day 1" type players constantly have to worry about their playing time getting taken by a new guy. How do you pitch that to a recruit?

"dear new recruit, if you sign to play with us we promise to never sign anybody better that could possibly take your position, and you are guaranteed playing time" - no honest coach ever

JSUSoutherner
January 24th, 2018, 12:19 PM
I guess it could depend on how you define "Transfers." I tend to use a broader definition than "FBS Transfers." I go with 'played somewhere else for at least a season after they finished high school.' Using that definition, I showed 24 Transfers on JSU's roster last year; 15 FBS.

#
Fname
Lname
POS1
HT
WT
YR
Hometown
ST
Previous College

Tramel
Terry
RB
R-Jr.
Goose Creek
SC
Georgia

Shaq
Davidson
WR
R-Jr.
Gaffney
SC
South Carolina

Jonathan
Hagler
DB
R-Sr.
Leeds
AL
Arizona Western College

Kendrick
Doss
QB
R-Jr.
Florence
AL
NE Mississippi CC

Joel
McCandless
LB
Sr.
Birmingham
AL
Hinds (Miss.) CC

Justin
Thomas-Thornton
DL
R-Jr.
Prichard
AL
Auburn

Kevin
Spears
WR
R-Sr.
New Orleans
LA
LSU

Roc
Thomas
RB
Sr.
Oxford
AL
Auburn

Ra'Shad
Green
DB
R-Sr.
Reserve
LA
Cornell College

Krenwick
Sanders
WR
R-Jr.
Jesup
GA
Wisconsin

Pat
Porter
DB
R-Jr.
Tuscaloosa
AL
Washington State

Dean
Kelly
P
Sr.
Melbourne
AUS
Stillman College

Freddie
Montgomery, Jr.
DB
Rf.
Bel Air
MD
Atlanta Sports Academy

Chris
Wilkerson
DB
Rf.
Bessemer
AL
South Alabama

Joseph
Roberts
DL
R-Jr.
Trussville
AL
UAB

Connor
Christian
DL
R-Jr.
Dallas
GA
Savannah State

David
Neece
OL
R-Sr.
Clanton
AL
Troy

Hunter
Sosebee
OL
R-So.
Ringgold
GA
Old Dominion

Darius
Anderson
OL
R-So.
Jonesboro
GA
East Carolina

B.J.
Autry
OL
R-Jr.
Eight Mile
AL
Baylor

Austin
Cummins
TE
Rf.
Stevenson
AL
Louisville

Penny
Smith
WR
R-Jr.
Knoxville
TN
Oklahoma A&M

Gerald
Sterling
DL
R-Sr.
Aliceville
AL
Washington State

Earl
Moss
DL
R-So.
Munford
AL
Miles College

Savannah State is FBS?

I also didnt count Joseph Roberts. The only thing he did at UAB was have his program cut. We’ve had him his whole colligiate career.

Also, notice how 12 of our 15 FBS guys are AL/GA guys. Most of them were on our radar to begin with. We don’t bring in many from out of the region.

FUBeAR
January 24th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Savannah State is FBS?

I also didnt count Joseph Roberts. The only thing he did at UAB was have his program cut. We’ve had him his whole colligiate career.

I mis-bolded that one in trying to save a bit of time. My deepest apologies for my error. I will correct my original post.

Still 15 though.

JSUSoutherner
January 24th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I mis-bolded that one in trying to save a bit of time. My deepest apologies for my error. I will correct my original post.

Still 15 though.

Yeah I just noticed that when I went to recount. My point about Roberts and our recruiting area still stands.

FUBeAR
January 25th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Oh - also, from (probably) a pre-season or 1st game depth chart, I picked up 8 'broad definition' Transfers as starters, 5 of those FBS. I've gone back and underlined those 8 in my original post (#21).

There were also 8 others Transfers on the 2-Deep; 5 of those being FBS. Those 8 are now italicized.

So, all totaled - 16 of the 49 (21 Offense, 25 Defense, 3 Specialists) Players shown on the 2-Deep I picked up were Transfers; 10 From FBS.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2018, 06:59 AM
"dear new recruit, if you sign to play with us we promise to never sign anybody better that could possibly take your position, and you are guaranteed playing time" - no honest coach ever

I get your point, but that sort of changes the argument.

Programs should constantly be on the search for better talent at the high school level. In my opinion, most of the FCS programs are going to draw in a lot of the same type of kid every single season. Constantly going the transfer route is not building a roster from the bottom up, but sending a message to the current roster that we really didn't like our options and decided to go get someone else.

To me, it is almost an internal criticism of your own recruiting.

I'm telling tales out of school, but it wouldn't surprise me if these transfers don't really have to "earn" the playing time other guys do. Day 1 of spring practice, who is taking snaps with the first team offense? You think it is going to be the redshirt junior whose been in the program 4 years, or Zerrick Cooper? I would bet the farm it'll be Cooper. Why? He didn't transfer to JSU just to be a backup. He could have stayed at Clemson and done that.

Cocky
January 25th, 2018, 07:52 AM
If you want to play get better. As long as the best one is playing who cares how or when you became part of the team.

Redbird 4th & short
January 25th, 2018, 07:56 AM
My math may be wrong (probably is), but if JSU accepts 3-4 transfers a year equates to 12-16 transfers on the roster (3-4 for each class). I would expect that each of those transfers will be on the dress squad and probably playing. There may be instances where a player transfers to JSU and doesn't dress or play, but I doubt it.

If there are 63 scholarship players, and roughly that many in uniform at a game, then roughly 20-25% of players at any JSU game are transfers (12-16/63).

So yes, the majority of the roster is "home grown," but I don't think there is any serious dispute that accepting outside players is a huge part of JSU's roster building operation.
During 2009-13 era, ISUr would bring in 3-5 FBS transfers each year, but you can't just multiply that by 4 or 5 years and deduce there are 15-20 FBS guys. Very few were RS FR, some were SO, many were JR, and some were SR. The other aspect for us was some left within a year or 2 because a) Spack had given them a "2nd chance" and they blew it, or b) they left dsallusioned when they couldn't crack starting lineup. We got a part time starting RS FR DT from Texas around 2011 when our DL was very good, and he couldn't get on field and quietly left program.

Alleged Redbird Fan chronic Spack basher OSBF use to claim we had 30 FBS transfers on our roster ... he was lying .. we averaged 13 during the 2009-12 period. But he assumed if we got 6 during a high point that he could multiply it by 5 years ... which just makes no sense.

Not defending JSU overall or not .. just saying this QB transfer by itself seems to make a lot of sense.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2018, 08:01 AM
During 2009-13 era, ISUr would bring in 3-5 FBS transfers each year, but you can't just multiply that by 4 or 5 years and deduce there are 15-20 FBS guys. Very few were RS FR, some were SO, many were JR, and some were SR. The other aspect for us was some left within a year or 2 because a) Spack had given them a "2nd chance" and they blew it, or b) they left dsallusioned when they couldn't crack starting lineup. We got a part time starting RS FR DT from Texas around 2011 when our DL was very good, and he couldn't get on field and quietly left program.

Alleged Redbird Fan chronic Spack basher OSBF use to claim we had 30 FBS transfers on our roster ... he was lying .. we averaged 13 during the 2009-12 period. But he assumed if we got 6 during a high point that he could multiply it by 5 years ... which just makes no sense.

Not defending JSU overall or not .. just saying this QB transfer by itself seems to make a lot of sense.

I've repeatedly said that many transfers are not a panacea. There are numerous reasons for a guy to transfer out, but many of those players simply are not as good as you might expect them to be.

They look good on paper, but many times these guys are 1 star players in 4 star bodies.

Redbird 4th & short
January 25th, 2018, 08:38 AM
I've repeatedly said that many transfers are not a panacea. There are numerous reasons for a guy to transfer out, but many of those players simply are not as good as you might expect them to be.

They look good on paper, but many times these guys are 1 star players in 4 star bodies.

100% agree .. combine that on some level (either too raw talent or over-rated talent) with fact that they have to learn a new system. We got a 4 star from Notre Dame last year (then SO LB Josh Barajas). We got him for 2 reasons ... things weren't working out for him at ND, and he was HS teammates with our TE Petkovich.

He finished season with 4 tackles in just 6 games, mostly on special teams or mop up time, before getting injured. This is more the norm than the exception with our FBS transfers, which are much fewer/farther between now.

But I do agree, any program that relies on FBS transfers every year, rather than occasionally plugging holes, is sending bad pessage to their current roster and future recruits. You need to be careful how much/often you rely on this ... slippery slope, like an SHSU. JMU seems to be going route Spack chose given new coach is trying to win and build a roster .. and obviously had much more immediate success than Spack did back in 2009-13. At some point, nearly all of your 2 deep should be home grown guys.

walliver
January 25th, 2018, 09:43 AM
As long as schools like Clemson sign a 5 star QB every year, there will be FBS transfers. Who needs a 4 star when you have two 5 stars on the roster already. In the next few years, athletes like this will likely transfer to AAC, MAC and MWC schools.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2018, 10:32 AM
As long as schools like Clemson sign a 5 star QB every year, there will be FBS transfers. Who needs a 4 star when you have two 5 stars on the roster already. In the next few years, athletes like this will likely transfer to AAC, MAC and MWC schools.

There must be a game plan. Georgia, for instance, has signed the top (or top one or two) QBs in each of the last three recruiting classes. Those guys have to know, for instance, that the #1 ranked player at their position from the year before and the year before that are already on the roster. At a position like QB, they all can't play.

bluehenbillk
January 25th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Damn I hadn't seen this - I believe that would be the most impactful transfer you'll see this offseason. Very surprised he went the FCS route.

Cocky
January 25th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Damn I hadn't seen this - I believe that would be the most impactful transfer you'll see this offseason. Very surprised he went the FCS route.
Is he good? Never seen him play so I have no idea.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2018, 11:40 AM

I do think it is sort of relative.

Cooper played in three games this season in mostly mop-up duty. He was sacked three times and threw for 88 yards in an embarrassing loss to Syracuse. Most of his production came against a Citadel team that had basically mailed it in.

If he's the best QB at JSU, that's awesome and good luck to him. I just don't get too excited when a guy that has had middling to no success against D1 competition transfers with some fanfare based mostly on his high school resume from three years ago.

There was some rumor that Furman tried to land him. I'd have been thrilled and happy to have him, but would feel the same.

PaladinFan
January 25th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Is he good? Never seen him play so I have no idea.

To piggyback off my above post, I think it depends.

A lot of guys look phenomenal at the high school level because they are just the best athletes on the field. They have the size, speed, strength, etc. to blow your socks off. They look great against a bunch of guys that are not D1 football players.

Some of those guys look a lot more pedestrian when they get to college and start playing against guys that are as big, fast, and strong as they are.

Cooper was a highly regarded high school QB. He's not done anything of note at the college level besides be a backup on a really good football team.

jsualumnus
January 25th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Agree with you Paladin...

UpstateBison
January 25th, 2018, 05:17 PM
I think it will be interesting to see who recruits Clemson better: JSU or Furman? Seriously, good luck to both student-athletes.

PaladinFan
January 26th, 2018, 06:24 AM
I think it will be interesting to see who recruits Clemson better: JSU or Furman? Seriously, good luck to both student-athletes.

Amir Trapp transferred from Clemson to Furman. He is from the Greenville area. Furman recruited him out of high school and offered him a scholarship. He took a grayshirt offer to Clemson, where his father played. As far as I can remember, he's the only Clemson transfer we've ever had.

So, I don't think Furman is hanging around outside the Clemson locker room or anything. If we ended up with occasional transfers from Death Valley, though, I wouldn't complain.

longtimemocfan
January 28th, 2018, 04:04 PM

Valid point he probably won't see the field at Clemson considering some say the incoming freshman from Cartersville,Ga. (Trevor Lawrence) could compete for the starting job this upcoming year. Had better stats than former Cartersville QB Deshaun Watson did.

KPSUL
January 28th, 2018, 05:00 PM
If you want to play get better. As long as the best one is playing who cares how or when you became part of the team.

JSU recruited players who come in as Freshmen owe no loyalty and dedication to a program that shows them zero loyalty and dedication. Lets see what happens when FCS players can transfer to FBS schools without sitting out a year. If you want to play, get better. And if you want to get better, go to a school that is dedicated to player development.

jsualumnus
January 28th, 2018, 06:11 PM
JSU recruited players who come in as Freshmen owe no loyalty and dedication to a program that shows them zero loyalty and dedication. Lets see what happens when FCS players can transfer to FBS schools without sitting out a year. If you want to play, get better. And if you want to get better, go to a school that is dedicated to player development.
Yeah, because JSU shows no loyalty and dedication to recruited freshman. Zero... SMDH!!!!

PaladinFan
January 28th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Valid point he probably won't see the field at Clemson considering some say the incoming freshman from Cartersville,Ga. (Trevor Lawrence) could compete for the starting job this upcoming year. Had better stats than former Cartersville QB Deshaun Watson did.

Deshaun Watson played at Gainesville, not Cartersville.

Cocky
January 28th, 2018, 08:49 PM
Deshaun Watson played at Gainesville, not Cartersville.
Beat me to this one.
Tee Webb will be the next Cartersville star QB.

longtimemocfan
January 29th, 2018, 09:38 AM
My mistake, I usually look things up to validate them.