PDA

View Full Version : Houston Baptist Football under 2 Years NCAA Probation

bonarae
January 19th, 2018, 10:47 PM
Ouch. Student hosts? A big no-no.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180119155222559798808&ref=hea&tm=&src=

Was it discussed in the Southland thread here?

Outsider1
January 19th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Ouch, this is the first I have heard of it.

BEAR
January 20th, 2018, 09:28 AM
This is news to me.

Have they even finished transition yet? Please SLC, there are two schools that need to be division II. Do it.

katss07
January 20th, 2018, 10:29 AM
HBU needs to get their **** together on and off the field. It is too bad they are in the SLC, along with UIW. They add nothing. I would much rather have PV A&M or SEMO or Texas Southern. Hopefully New Mexico State drops down soon so they can join out conference.

ST_Lawson
January 20th, 2018, 10:36 AM
HBU needs to get their **** together on and off the field. It is too bad they are in the SLC, along with UIW. They add nothing. I would much rather have PV A&M or SEMO or Texas Southern. Hopefully New Mexico State drops down soon so they can join out conference.

Can I interest you in a Missouri State?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
January 20th, 2018, 10:44 AM

But Prairie View would rather not compete for the celebration bowl every year.

Maybe you can get Texas AM/Commerce?

katss07
January 20th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Can I interest you in a Missouri State?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please. That would certainly be an upgrade.

Laker
January 20th, 2018, 10:49 AM
But Prairie View would rather not compete for the celebration bowl every year.

Maybe you can get Texas AM/Commerce?

Stopped our run at a D2 title this year.

kdinva
January 20th, 2018, 10:59 AM

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180119155222559798808&ref=hea&tm=&src=

Wow, and Vic Shealy is son of Coach Dal Shealy (U of R).....former National chair of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.....

xsmhx

lionsrking2
January 20th, 2018, 11:03 AM
HBU has been D-I for a long time and were never in transition.

Wildcat1997
January 20th, 2018, 11:05 AM
HBU needs to get their **** together on and off the field. It is too bad they are in the SLC, along with UIW. They add nothing. I would much rather have PV A&M or SEMO or Texas Southern. Hopefully New Mexico State drops down soon so they can join out conference.I'm glad ACU isn't included in this group. When we first started the transition, I was worried it would go terribly but I think we've not done too badly for ourselves since we moved up. We have a ways to go in some sports but I think we certainly add value to the SLC.

Wildcat1997
January 20th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Have either HBU or UIW won a SLC conference championship since they've joined? I honestly can't remember one off of the top of my head.

BEAR
January 20th, 2018, 11:11 AM
I'm glad ACU isn't included in this group. When we first started the transition, I was worried it would go terribly but I think we've not done too badly for ourselves since we moved up. We have a ways to go in some sports but I think we certainly add value to the SLC.

ACU has added value in new facilities like in football but they have a long ways to go in being competitive in that sport. Women's basketball is their crown in my book. Beastmode. But at least ACU is trying.

lionsrking2
January 20th, 2018, 12:51 PM
ACU has added value in new facilities like in football but they have a long ways to go in being competitive in that sport.

Not nearly as far away as you think. They're already competitive, but a good recruiting class, and the right transfer or two, could put them over the hump in a hurry.

Wildcat1997
January 20th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Not nearly as far away as you think. They're already competitive, but a good recruiting class, and the right transfer or two, could put them over the hump in a hurry.We don’t have very many HS players committed right now, only 4 so far. Our class will be mainly transfers with us bringing in 13 JUCOs plus 2 FBS drop downs, with a few more drop downs probably on the way. Not all of our transfers will start but they will provide competition and valuable depth, which is what hurt us most last year.

Derby City Duke
January 20th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Bad news for the school and the SLC...though when I first saw the thread title I immediately thought the NCAA had caught Texas breaking the rules. Shout out to Tark the Shark -- "The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation."

BEAR
January 20th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Not nearly as far away as you think. They're already competitive, but a good recruiting class, and the right transfer or two, could put them over the hump in a hurry.

2017: 2-7
2016: 2-7
2015: 3-6
2014: 4-4

The new facilities will help but they are far from competitive so far. That hump is big in a weak conference.

TheRevSFA
January 20th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Seems like a very unchristian thing to do

Wildcat1997
January 20th, 2018, 02:53 PM

The new facilities will help but they are far from competitive so far. That hump is big in a weak conference.5 of our 7 SLC losses were by 10 points or less. A couple of breaks go our way and we win 4, 5 or even 6 games this past season. I agree with you in that we still have a ways to go but I would say that for the most part we were competitive.

Panther88
January 20th, 2018, 09:06 PM

The ncaa will bust an fcs’er for the EXACT same thing bcs busters do xsmhx . univ of fla’s all-girl “gator-getters,” as they were called back in the gap - a hosting group comprised of nothing but the school’s finest females, among others. Not to excuse HBU’s deal but it’s amazing how the ncaa throws its head in the sand when it comes to bcs schools.

Lehigh Football Nation
January 20th, 2018, 09:29 PM
So let me get this straight. The coaches daughter was arranging for campus tours for prospective student-athletes. How exactly was this a huge advantage over the rest of the Southland, and how was this a 2 year probation? Like much of the NCAA's arcane rules, this seems ridiculously harsh when places like Louisville have boosters buying the services of hookers.

gumby013
January 20th, 2018, 09:47 PM
The NCAA has been cracking down on hostess organizations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/02/02/baylor-rape-scandal-involves-recruiting-hostess-program-these-thing-still-exist/?utm_term=.9e988d0923ef

Bisonoline
January 20th, 2018, 10:30 PM
The NCAA has been cracking down on hostess organizations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/02/02/baylor-rape-scandal-involves-recruiting-hostess-program-these-thing-still-exist/?utm_term=.9e988d0923ef

Not difficult to get around as there are plenty of women who would love to entertain recruits knowing a night on the town is involved. The NCAA just doesnt like it to be an organization because they would then have to sanction it. Plus they dont want their organization to be complicit in recruits getting laid .

lionsrking2
January 20th, 2018, 11:03 PM

The new facilities will help but they are far from competitive so far. That hump is big in a weak conference.

Not really. The foundation is there for a quick rise if they hit on the right guys and change the culture. ACU played solid defense most of the year and lost by 6 to McNeese, 9 to Sam Houston and Nicholls, and 10 to SFA. We may have differing definitions of "competitive" but that qualifies for me. We blew them out and you guys handled them but they were far from a pushover.

In Ron Roberts first season at Southeastern, we were coming off 2-9 and 3-8 seasons prior to his arrival ... he started 0-3 but went 5-2 in league play, with a 70-0 loss to Sam Houston mixed in. We went undefeated in league play the next year and beat Sam Houston twice. It can happen easily.

PAllen
January 20th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Who the F asks their daughter to be a student "host" to an 18 year old football prospect for the weekend?

Bisonoline
January 20th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Who the F asks their daughter to be a student "host" to an 18 year old football prospect for the weekend?

Now I will say that many recruits dont get laid. But the girls kind of lead them on as in---see what you can have if you come here.

lionsrking2
January 20th, 2018, 11:47 PM

This sounds like much ado about nothing to me. Meanwhile, North Carolina walks between the raindrops.

BEAR
January 21st, 2018, 07:04 AM
Not really. The foundation is there for a quick rise if they hit on the right guys and change the culture. ACU played solid defense most of the year and lost by 6 to McNeese, 9 to Sam Houston and Nicholls, and 10 to SFA. We may have differing definitions of "competitive" but that qualifies for me. We blew them out and you guys handled them but they were far from a pushover.

In Ron Roberts first season at Southeastern, we were coming off 2-9 and 3-8 seasons prior to his arrival ... he started 0-3 but went 5-2 in league play, with a 70-0 loss to Sam Houston mixed in. We went undefeated in league play the next year and beat Sam Houston twice. It can happen easily.

Yeh I guess we do. You beat them by 35 and we beat them by 34 throwing only once in the fourth. I guess the level of competitive is where we differ on opinion. I think they will be mid level most years. Teams like SLU who get Brian Bennet transfers that jump them to lead the league are typically teams like UCA, SLU, McNeese, and SHSU IMO. But I know if ACU keeps up their efforts they will have a swing at the conference title once every 8 years or so. But yearly I just don't know. It takes a zero or one loss team to do that usually. I don't see them being that type of team. Hope they prove me wrong! The SLC needs MORE strong teams!

Catatonic
January 21st, 2018, 07:33 AM
Yeh I guess we do. You beat them by 35 and we beat them by 34 throwing only once in the fourth. I guess the level of competitive is where we differ on opinion. I think they will be mid level most years. Teams like SLU who get Brian Bennet transfers that jump them to lead the league are typically teams like UCA, SLU, McNeese, and SHSU IMO. But I know if ACU keeps up their efforts they will have a swing at the conference title once every 8 years or so. But yearly I just don't know. It takes a zero or one loss team to do that usually. I don't see them being that type of team. Hope they prove me wrong! The SLC needs MORE strong teams!

ACU simply did not have the budget to become competitive during the transition. We couldn’t fund the full number of scholarships, had a low recruiting and support staff budget and underpaid our coaches. Thanks to an infusion of donor cash We now have a new stadium, a well paid coaching staff with a history of winning, and an adequate budget for recruiting and so forth.

None of this means we are destined for greatness. It does mean it’s too soon to predict where our program will be a couple of years down the road. It’s hard to use a past record to predict the future when we fielded 45 or 50schalrahip players.

Catatonic
January 21st, 2018, 07:40 AM
The ncaa will bust an fcs’er for the EXACT same thing bcs busters do xsmhx . univ of fla’s all-girl “gator-getters,” as they were called back in the gap - a hosting group comprised of nothing but the school’s finest females, among others. Not to excuse HBU’s deal but it’s amazing how the ncaa throws its head in the sand when it comes to bcs schools.

Absolutely spot on accurate.

ASU33
January 21st, 2018, 07:57 AM
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!

TennBison
January 21st, 2018, 09:25 AM
Having been there and done that at a P5 school I would be shocked if this still does not go on today at every one of them. Drastic drop off when you get to the mid level FBS schools, and an even bigger drop off at the FCS level. It takes money for schools to pay those girls and even more to keep things hush hush after stories break out. IMO most college football stars don't really need services like these because people are attracted to winners, women want to go out with guys who are confident take charge kind of person. Those football players and people in life find women or women find them.

ASU33
January 21st, 2018, 10:37 AM
Having been there and done that at a P5 school I would be shocked if this still does not go on today at every one of them. Drastic drop off when you get to the mid level FBS schools, and an even bigger drop off at the FCS level. It takes money for schools to pay those girls and even more to keep things hush hush after stories break out. IMO most college football stars don't really need services like these because people are attracted to winners, women want to go out with guys who are confident take charge kind of person. Those football players and people in life find women or women find them.

It still goes on now, the only thing is that the schools have changed the way these groups of attractive women are categorized.

TennBison
January 21st, 2018, 01:32 PM
It still goes on now, the only thing is that the schools have changed the way these groups of attractive women are categorized.
Their brashness back in my day was crazy, they would come right to your room when you were on recruiting visits. I am sure, that just like everything else in today's world compared to 30+ years ago things are a little bit more covert (meaning a lot).