PDA

View Full Version : Redshirt Proposal

Wildcat1997
January 18th, 2018, 05:47 PM
A proposal sponsored by the ACC calls for players who participate in four games or fewer to retain their redshirt status. The NCAA Division I Council is scheduled to vote on the measure in April. If approved, then ratified by the board of directors, freshmen nationally may test the waters in football as soon as this fall without exhausting a season of eligibility. I really like this rule as I think it would really help out with depth, especially late in the season. http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/140343/game-changing-redshirt-proposal-earns-key-support-ahead-of-vote

dgtw
January 18th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I like the idea. It gives you a chance to rest people without burning a redshirt. Plus you can see true freshmen in real game play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAllen
January 18th, 2018, 08:07 PM
How long before we see a standard 6th year of eligibility?

Nickels
January 18th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Stupid. It would limit incoming freshman and roster turnover. Your supposed to finish college in four years. College sports should match that. Redshirt and medical are already stretching it IMO.

Derby City Duke
January 18th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I like the idea. It gives you a chance to rest people without burning a redshirt. Plus you can see true freshmen in real game play.

You do realize that true freshman QB'd 75% of the CFP championship game...xeyebrowx

Professor Chaos
January 18th, 2018, 10:17 PM
This will be especially interesting in the case of the FCS playoffs. There are limits to the number of players you can dress for a playoff game but if a team sustains an extra injury or two at a particular position during a early round playoff game they could potential play a true freshman in a playoff game or three as depth without having to burn that redshirt. It'll be interesting to see where teams use those 4 games... early in the season in the non-conference or do they "save" them for the conference season/playoffs just in case???

Derby City Duke
January 19th, 2018, 06:25 AM
But they had to burn redshirts for that. If this rule had been in place they could've played and gained valuable experience without having to burn their redshirts.

They didn't burn the RS; The UGA QB played in Game #1 due to injury (based on what I've read, the guy was not a RS candidate); his 1st start was @ Notre Dame in Game #2. The Alabama kid played in 9 games during the season and there wasn't an injury to the Hurts kid that I know of during the season.

DFW HOYA
January 19th, 2018, 06:35 AM

How long before we even see redshirts (in the PL, of course)? Probably not because we wouldn't want to hurt Lafayette and Holy Cross.

Derby City Duke
January 19th, 2018, 06:37 AM
This will be especially interesting in the case of the FCS playoffs. There are limits to the number of players you can dress for a playoff game but if a team sustains an extra injury or two at a particular position during a early round playoff game they could potential play a true freshman in a playoff game or three as depth without having to burn that redshirt. It'll be interesting to see where teams use those 4 games... early in the season in the non-conference or do they "save" them for the conference season/playoffs just in case???

Another level of complexity for coaches. I wonder how many coaches will plug and play redshirts throughout the season in order to keep their starters fresh for the playoffs or how many coaches will start to sit seniors late in the year when they know they have no shot at the playoffs and want to get a look at guys for next season.

RichH2
January 19th, 2018, 07:45 AM
It does seem to be creeping up. I can see it now" Alabama's star junior RB Bill Bumpus ends his 6 year career accepting an offer to join WWE :)

RichH2
January 19th, 2018, 07:53 AM
How long before we even see redshirts (in the PL, of course)? Probably not because we wouldn't want to hurt Lafayette and Holy Cross.

NCAA redshirt rules dont in the long run cost any more than schools pay now. Same number of schollies just fewer eligible players. I could see PL allowing limited number of redshirts per year ie 5 with a 4 year cap of 20. To be feasible for us PL would have to end schlollie cap.
Our PL restrictions are partly financial and partly a holdover from our Ivy Lite inception

Wildcat1997
January 19th, 2018, 01:47 PM
They didn't burn the RS; The UGA QB played in Game #1 due to injury (based on what I've read, the guy was not a RS candidate); his 1st start was @ Notre Dame in Game #2. The Alabama kid played in 9 games during the season and there wasn't an injury to the Hurts kid that I know of during the season.You’re right, my bad.

Panther88
January 19th, 2018, 02:26 PM
You’re right, my bad.

Wildcat1997, if you're not aware, PVAMU just inked a home-and-home w/ ACU for 2022/2023 w/ ACU hosting first. We'll have a "purple" soiree in w/ctx.

Twentysix
January 19th, 2018, 07:57 PM
This is the best rule change I've ever seen. It's like they wrote it explicitly so NDSU can teabag the fcs. Our depth just went from insane to unstoppable.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
January 19th, 2018, 08:09 PM
This is the best rule change I've ever seen. It's like they wrote it explicitly so NDSU can teabag the fcs. Our depth just went from insane to unstoppable.

The whole red shirt freshman class can get playing time and not lose any eligibility.

Wildcat1997
January 19th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Wildcat1997, if you're not aware, PVAMU just inked a home-and-home w/ ACU for 2022/2023 w/ ACU hosting first. We'll have a "purple" soiree in w/ctx.I did see that. I’m excited about it. It’ll be nice to play a good OOC FCs team and also really nice for both groups of fans to see each other’s beautiful new stadiums. Although by 2022 I guess they won’t be very new lol.

Twentysix
January 19th, 2018, 08:14 PM
The whole red shirt freshman class can get playing time and not lose any eligibility.This rule WILL increase the level of developmental output at NDSU. If I were the collective FCS I'd be shaking in my boots. :)

walliver
January 19th, 2018, 09:04 PM
About 15 years ago, there was a proposal to allow all players 5 years of eligibility.

At the upper levels of the P5, redshirts are decreasing in frequency because the teams know that top players leave early for the NFL.

Panther88
January 20th, 2018, 01:46 AM
I did see that. I’m excited about it. It’ll be nice to play a good OOC FCs team and also really nice for both groups of fans to see each other’s beautiful new stadiums. Although by 2022 I guess they won’t be very new lol.

Hopefully we will have the same coaching staff. We’ve been in a cycle every 3-4 yrs.

Outsider1
January 20th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Panther88, I am another Cat excited about this OOC scheduling for the same reasons '97 mentioned. I hope our current staff will indeed be around. If this redshirt proposal is good for NDSU, it is good for the rest of us. ANy proposal will have positive and negative outcomes. It would be up to us to determine how well we apply it.

Panther88
January 20th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Panther88, I am another Cat excited about this OOC scheduling for the same reasons '97 mentioned. I hope our current staff will indeed be around. If this redshirt proposal is good for NDSU, it is good for the rest of us. ANy proposal will have positive and negative outcomes. It would be up to us to determine how well we apply it.

ACU is poised to ascend in and out of the SLC, for football, thanks in large part for having arguably the best football venue in the SLC. That w/ctx isolated recruiting coupled w/ those super facilities should sway a lot of teens towards ACU. Smart regional scheduling vs d-1 fcs should pay dividends when it is time for ACU to take that first step into the fcs playoff tourney. I saw pics of the new venue as it was being erected and it is nothing short of superb.

dgtw
January 22nd, 2018, 06:08 AM
You do realize that true freshman QB'd 75% of the CFP championship game...xeyebrowx

I am aware of that. But not all true freshmen are at that level.

ElCid
January 22nd, 2018, 09:56 AM
I am aware of that. But not all true freshmen are at that level.

But that is what makes it special and unique. I think RS rules are already sufficient. Expand it and we walk down yet another dark road of abuse with who knows what kind of unintended consequences arise.

Outsider1
January 22nd, 2018, 02:36 PM
But that is what makes it special and unique. I think RS rules are already sufficient. Expand it and we walk down yet another dark road of abuse with who knows what kind of unintended consequences arise.

We are already down that dark road. My question to myself is, do I make it an endless slippery slope argument or make the best of it I can? Good schools and good programs will continue to progress their student athletes through the system effectively and successfully without dragging those people through. If they are recruiting and redshirting productively to begin with, then there shouldn't be a logistical need to hold students back from moving on with their lives more than necessary.

clenz
January 22nd, 2018, 02:47 PM
My New proposal.

Freshman can play in 4 games before losing a red-shirting
BUT
You can not medical redshirt your freshman year unless your injury is linked to high school with documented proof
You can not redshirt in any year except your freshman year...meaning you can't play as a freshman and then redshirt as a sophomore...it happens.
Medical redshirts now become basically impossible. Given that you can't use your freshman year as a medical redshirt year to get a second year of missing due to injury

This gets rid of people getting a 6th year 99% of the time they already do. It will cut standard medical redshirts by probably 60-80%.

It will basically be impossible to get an extra year if you go this route.

Outsider1
January 22nd, 2018, 08:27 PM
Actually, that is a good clarification and good point Clenz.

DFW HOYA
January 22nd, 2018, 08:43 PM
ACU is poised to ascend in and out of the SLC, for football, thanks in large part for having arguably the best football venue in the SLC. That w/ctx isolated recruiting coupled w/ those super facilities should sway a lot of teens towards ACU.

Being in Abilene doesn't help.

http://www.reporternews.com/story/news/local/2016/12/31/residents-sound-off-what-abilene-needs/95864742/

Twentysix
January 22nd, 2018, 10:26 PM
My New proposal.

Freshman can play in 4 games before losing a red-shirting
BUT
You can not medical redshirt your freshman year unless your injury is linked to high school with documented proof
You can not redshirt in any year except your freshman year...meaning you can't play as a freshman and then redshirt as a sophomore...it happens.
Medical redshirts now become basically impossible. Given that you can't use your freshman year as a medical redshirt year to get a second year of missing due to injury

This gets rid of people getting a 6th year 99% of the time they already do. It will cut standard medical redshirts by probably 60-80%.

It will basically be impossible to get an extra year if you go this route.

Why are you opposed to players having 6 years? Why does it really matter?

Panther88
January 22nd, 2018, 10:53 PM

http://www.reporternews.com/story/news/local/2016/12/31/residents-sound-off-what-abilene-needs/95864742/

I don't think it hurts either. They take pride in their campus/environment as most would. Everyone has their prefs.

ST_Lawson
January 23rd, 2018, 08:12 AM

There are much worse places you could be. City of around 120k people, only about 2 hours from a major metro area. Seems pretty decent to me.

Outsider1
January 23rd, 2018, 08:17 AM

Man, I live here and didn't realize we needed so much, lol.....

clenz
January 23rd, 2018, 10:23 AM
Why are you opposed to players having 6 years? Why does it really matter?

Give them 8 years from day 1 then. What’s it matter?

No one needs 6 years to finish school. If you do you did it very ****ing wrong.

Outsider1
January 23rd, 2018, 11:03 AM
Give them 8 years from day 1 then. What’s it matter?

No one needs 6 years to finish school. If you do you did it very ****ing wrong.

Agree completely... I took 5 1/2 years for my 4 year degree because I screwed up and flunked out my 1st year. I took a semester off and then went to community college the following spring to get my grades up. By the 3rd fall I was able to get into another university on probation because I went back and got my grades up, but the credits didn't transfer. That was just academics. Stretching a student athlete's schedule out to 5 years is acceptable to prepare them for the riggers of D1 football. Beyond that, there is no real good reason. Many students complete their 4 year degree in 2 1/12 - 3 years. For a student athlete, 4-5 years is more than enough. These kids will ALWAYS be students first, even for life after the NFL if they are that lucky.

Panther88
January 23rd, 2018, 12:03 PM
Agree completely... I took 5 1/2 years for my 4 year degree because I screwed up and flunked out my 1st year. I took a semester off and then went to community college the following spring to get my grades up. By the 3rd fall I was able to get into another university on probation because I went back and got my grades up, but the credits didn't transfer. That was just academics. Stretching a student athlete's schedule out to 5 years is acceptable to prepare them for the riggers of D1 football. Beyond that, there is no real good reason. Many students complete their 4 year degree in 2 1/12 - 3 years. For a student athlete, 4-5 years is more than enough. These kids will ALWAYS be students first, even for life after the NFL if they are that lucky.

Kudos on staying the course and completing, considering the obstacle(s).

Catbooster
January 23rd, 2018, 12:03 PM
There are much worse places you could be. City of around 120k people, only about 2 hours from a major metro area. Seems pretty decent to me.
120k people is a major metro area - at least most of us in Montana think so ;)

Edit to add: Just noticed this is 800 posts for me - in a mere 11+ yrs on the board xthumbsupx

Wildcat1997
January 23rd, 2018, 01:01 PM

http://www.reporternews.com/story/news/local/2016/12/31/residents-sound-off-what-abilene-needs/95864742/Is Abilene really any worse than Lake Charles or Nacogdoches? I live in Abilene and it really isn't that bad. The city is doing things to try to improve, especially on the side of town ACU is on.

ST_Lawson
January 23rd, 2018, 02:19 PM
120k people is a major metro area - at least most of us in Montana think so ;)

Edit to add: Just noticed this is 800 posts for me - in a mere 11+ yrs on the board xthumbsupx

Well, it's a major metro area for me to, but I know that for a lot of "city folks", 120k isn't much. They've got an airport, a mall, and a freakin' target. That's "big time".

Outsider1
January 23rd, 2018, 02:42 PM
Yeah, but truthfully we aren't much of a college town. Even though there are 3 universities, a junior college and a technical college in town; plus a major university extension campus, the atmosphere doesn't have many of the things university students want locally. So, in recruiting that does hurt us some. The new wings restaurant may help with that though, lol... Trying to recruit either HS kids and redshirt them or transfers means we usually have to find the right ones that match us. This is going to be key for us as we really start building a large scale redshirting program at the D1 level. In order to maintain a decent attrition rate and keep kids all the way through, we'll have to focus our efforts and improve our cultivation. Otherwise, I think we could see a lot of kids moving on to other schools, even if they burned their redshirt. I actually hope this would make kids more committed.

Professor Chaos
February 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM
NDSU head coach Chris Klieman is a big fan of this proposed rule (his comments start at the 14:35 mark): https://youtu.be/u9hHfLsnZ6I?t=14m35s

https://youtu.be/u9hHfLsnZ6I?t=14m35s

He said they're voting on this rule in April and he's hopeful it'll be implemented for the 2018 season.