PDA

View Full Version : ETSU 2018 Schedule.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 16th, 2018, 08:31 PM
ETSU released its 2018 schedule today.

TBA Mars Hill - W - Bucs kick off Sanders era in style.
9/8 @Tennessee - L - Sanders may be good but this is not 1958 and they're not Chattanooga.
9/15 @VMI - W - Bucs starts off conference schedule on a winning note.
9/22 Furman - L - Paladins have the edge by virtue of them being in Year 2 of Hendrix but it can go either way.
9/29 Chattanooga - W - Bucs take a win against their in-state rival.
10/6 Gardner-Webb - W - Bucs have a happy homecoming.
10/13 @The Citadel - W - Bucs catch Bulldogs in a downward slide.
10/20 @Wofford - W - No offense but Sanders > Conklin.
10/27 Western Carolina - L - Catamounts win a game that could go either way.
11/3 @Mercer - W - Bucs make it two in a row against the Bears.
11/10 Open
11/17 Samford - L - This could go either way.

I think ETSU can put together a solid season with a comeback similar to what Furman had last year.

bonarae
January 17th, 2018, 02:44 AM
Very good predictions BnGR. But Wofford can be an L for the Bucs in 2018.

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2018, 04:52 AM
I appreciate your January confidence. A 7-4 season would be big for the Bucs.

I think Furman has an edge not because they are in year 2 of Hendrix, but they’ve pretty well handled ETSU the last two years. Not sure exactly why, but Furman has been a nightmare for the Bucs.

Scrappy94
January 17th, 2018, 02:45 PM

In your dreams! You couldn't even beat us when we had a down year this past season!

GreenGlasses
January 17th, 2018, 08:04 PM
In your dreams! You couldn't even beat us when we had a down year this past season!

It wasn't like you blew ETSU out it was a whopping 10-3 game. ETSU only in their 3rd year back from football held their own with everyone except JMU, Furman and Samford.

Tom "DIII" Arth sucks as an in game coach. I predict you win no more than 3 again with 1 being over VMI. Horrible Hire.....

PaladinFan
January 17th, 2018, 08:20 PM
It wasn't like you blew ETSU out it was a whopping 10-3 game. ETSU only in their 3rd year back from football held their own with everyone except JMU, Furman and Samford.

Tom "DIII" Arth sucks as an in game coach. I predict you win no more than 3 again with 1 being over VMI. Horrible Hire.....

WCU scalded them pretty good.

Redbird 4th & short
January 20th, 2018, 01:14 PM

9/8 @Tennessee - L - Sanders may be good but this is not 1958 and they're not Chattanooga.
9/22 Furman - L - Paladins have the edge by virtue of them being in Year 2 of Hendrix but it can go either way.
11/10 Open

I think ETSU can put together a solid season with a comeback similar to what Furman had last year.

B&G .. please have your AD contact my AD Larry Lyons at Illinois State University. We had trouble scheduling our 3rd non-conf game and are currently stuck with NAIA St Xavier on Sept 1st which works for ETSU as well. You dump that useless Mars Hills game, we'll dump our useless ST Xavier game .. and we'll play a real game !!!!

email: [email protected]

phone: 309-438-3636

I am not kidding .. please pass this along to your AD, we would love to play ETSU this fall. Mars Hill will NOT count as a win come playoff time.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 20th, 2018, 05:23 PM
B&G .. please have your AD contact my AD Larry Lyons at Illinois State University. We had trouble scheduling our 3rd non-conf game and are currently stuck with NAIA St Xavier on Sept 1st which works for ETSU as well. You dump that useless Mars Hills game, we'll dump our useless ST Xavier game .. and we'll play a real game !!!!

email: [email protected]

phone: 309-438-3636

I am not kidding .. please pass this along to your AD, we would love to play ETSU this fall. Mars Hill will NOT count as a win come playoff time.

Done. I am not promising you anything but I like your idea.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 20th, 2018, 05:25 PM

That was because we had an offense that had the bottom fall out under them near season's end.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 20th, 2018, 05:33 PM
I appreciate your January confidence. A 7-4 season would be big for the Bucs.

I think Furman has an edge not because they are in year 2 of Hendrix, but they’ve pretty well handled ETSU the last two years. Not sure exactly why, but Furman has been a nightmare for the Bucs.

I'll give you a hint: coaching. If you had Randy Sanders fall into your lap with his resume at the time your head coaching job became available, you would hire him. I hate to say this but ETSU came away with the best possible head coach this offseason. I doubt next season's matchup with you will be as one-sided as it was the last two years.

Redbird 4th & short
January 20th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Done. I am not promising you anything but I like your idea.

cool and thanks.

another idea .. tell your AD to tell Mars Hill AD to call St Xavier AD .. I hope to hear St Xavier is looking for a Sept 1st game very soon!!!

PaladinFan
January 20th, 2018, 07:01 PM
I'll give you a hint: coaching. If you had Randy Sanders fall into your lap with his resume at the time your head coaching job became available, you would hire him. I hate to say this but ETSU came away with the best possible head coach this offseason. I doubt next season's matchup with you will be as one-sided as it was the last two years.

That may be. A winless Furman team won 52-7 last season in Johnson City, so it wasn't all coaching. ETSU actually played better in Greenville against Clay Hendrix.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 20th, 2018, 08:05 PM
cool and thanks.

another idea .. tell your AD to tell Mars Hill AD to call St Xavier AD .. I hope to hear St Xavier is looking for a Sept 1st game very soon!!!

one step ahead of you in that regard.

Redbird 4th & short
January 21st, 2018, 09:21 AM
one step ahead of you in that regard.

are you connected with their sports dept ? or just an active fan ?

ETSUfan1
January 23rd, 2018, 01:08 PM
That may be. A winless Furman team won 52-7 last season in Johnson City, so it wasn't all coaching. ETSU actually played better in Greenville against Clay Hendrix.

Our team was nothing but Freshmen and Sophomores in the game vs Furman in JC. I think Torbush was a great guy to get the program going, but not the best coach. I think Sanders will get this team playing much better. We will see how much better.

PaladinFan
January 23rd, 2018, 02:32 PM
Our team was nothing but Freshmen and Sophomores in the game vs Furman in JC. I think Torbush was a great guy to get the program going, but not the best coach. I think Sanders will get this team playing much better. We will see how much better.

My point is not that Randy Sanders isn't the guy to elevate ETSU. I have no idea if he is or isn't. ETSU fans don't know that either. He's probably better than Torbush, but he's also never been a head coach. We won't know until we know.

The point I am making is in response to ETSU being a dark horse for the SoCon title. That may well happen, but to do that, the Bucs are going to have to beat a number of SoCon teams that stung them pretty soundly last year. All of those teams return a lot of talented players.

Again, you can't extrapolate year to year based on last season's results. However, it is January and all we have are guesses.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
October 14th, 2018, 06:14 PM

11/10 Open

Figured I give this a boost since I wanted to show how close I was at this point. I now like ETSU's chances against Western Carolina and possibly Samford (our defense > WCU AND VMI). I was money when I said the Furman game was closer than it was the past two seasons. ETSU's performance so far was confirmation of my theory that ETSU wins the best head coaching hire award for FCS this past offseason.