PDA

View Full Version : National Championship Contenders in '18

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Long off season has started for FCS fans.

Who are 5 teams that you think will be contenders in '18? I know it is early but interesting to see what people think.

I didn't dig into each team but just went off the top of my head and watching some teams in this year's playoffs.

Mine:

NDSU - Has 14 starters coming back including a couple of injured starters. Both sides of the ball will be loaded.

New Hampshire - Has a lot of starters back from a playoff team.

Kennesaw State - Fun to watch this option team and they have a lot of starters back also.

JMU - Can they reload? Losing a lot of seniors.

Weber State - Can they continue the success of the '17 season?

KPSUL
January 14th, 2018, 07:56 AM
You are right in line with this Athlonsports article:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/2018-fcs-national-title-contenders#1

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 08:13 AM
You are right in line with this Athlonsports article:

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/2018-fcs-national-title-contenders#1

Cool. I don't read that so I guess I'm not totally out to lunch on this...:D

TennBison
January 14th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Isn't there already a thread for this? The one called.Who is your pick to win the FCS National Championship in 2018? (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?200556-Who-is-your-pick-to-win-the-FCS-National-Championship-in-2018)Basically the exact same thread.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Isn't there already a thread for this? The one called.Who is your pick to win the FCS National Championship in 2018? (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?200556-Who-is-your-pick-to-win-the-FCS-National-Championship-in-2018)

Basically the exact same thread.

I wasn't paying attention....xembarrassedx

DFW HOYA
January 14th, 2018, 09:24 AM
There are, in any one year, no more than 8-12 schools with any realistic path to the championship. It makes you wonder about schools spending $6 million a year that have zero chance to be in this discussion.

katss07
January 14th, 2018, 10:36 AM
I’ll go with NDSU, Weber and Kennesaw. Obviously the Bison are the clear favorite. Kennesaw was very good this year, Sam had a tough time with them. Weber should be good again.

I would love to see someone from the SLC be in the natty conversation, but I don’t think that will happen this year. SHSU should be a playoff team, as should McNeese, but both won’t be contenders on a national level. UCA is losing a lot. Southeastern Louisiana and McNeese will be improved. I was tempted to put UNH on there, but I don’t know what to expect from them. They were a year early this playoff season, but maybe they can replicate what happened this season.

cx500d
January 14th, 2018, 10:37 AM
I’ll go with NDSU, Weber and Kennesaw. Obviously the Bison are the clear favorite. Kennesaw was very good this year, Sam had a tough time with them. Weber should be good again.

I would love to see someone from the SLC be in the natty conversation, but I don’t think that will happen this year. SHSU should be a playoff team, as should McNeese, but both won’t be contenders on a national level. UCA is losing a lot. Southeastern Louisiana and McNeese will be improved. I was tempted to put UNH on there, but I don’t know what to expect from them. They were a year early this playoff season, but maybe they can replicate what happened this season.

What about Nicholls? They did decent against South Dakota.

Gil Dobie
January 14th, 2018, 10:41 AM
NDSU
JMU
Kennesaw
UNH
Illinois St

katss07
January 14th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I’m not sure the SLC is a three bid conference again. I really like what Nicholls did this year, but I think Sam and McNeese are much more likely playoff teams. I don’t know, maybe they surprise me.

centennial
January 14th, 2018, 11:59 AM
I’m not sure the SLC is a three bid conference again. I really like what Nicholls did this year, but I think Sam and McNeese are much more likely playoff teams. I don’t know, maybe they surprise me.

The 6ish rated conference in the FCS should not have 2 at large bids. 1 is enough, and only because the Southland is top heavy. UCA really blew it this year.

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Kennesaw was pretty good, kind of like semi final good like Sam Houston but Kennesaw is no contender to win it

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 12:13 PM

I have a suspicion Delaware beats both of those teams

Howlingyote
January 14th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Not dissing Nicholls, but South Dakota was without 5 defensive starters and a QB with a broken throwing hand.

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 14th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Long off season has started for FCS fans.

Who are 5 teams that you think will be contenders in '18? I know it is early but interesting to see what people think.

I didn't dig into each team but just went off the top of my head and watching some teams in this year's playoffs.

Mine:

NDSU - Has 14 starters coming back including a couple of injured starters. Both sides of the ball will be loaded.

New Hampshire - Has a lot of starters back from a playoff team.

Kennesaw State - Fun to watch this option team and they have a lot of starters back also.

JMU - Can they reload? Losing a lot of seniors.

Weber State - Can they continue the success of the '17 season?

JMU will fall back to earth and Weber loses too many players to do what they did last season. I dont think they have the talent or depth to keep that defense going, time will tell. Replacing an NFL caliber CB in the FCS isnt going to happen in Ogden

mmiller_34
January 14th, 2018, 12:51 PM
While I'm not sure SDSU's title chances are any greater than this year; I wouldn't automatically throw SDSU in line for a "rebuilding" year either. Below are the seniors we will graduate:

Dalton Douglas (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6208&path=football) (BACKUP)
QB
6-2
Sr.
Redlands, Calif.
Citrus Valley H.S.

Anthony Washington (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6265&path=football) (STARTER)
CB
5-10
Sr.
Miami, Fla.
Laney College

Jake Wieneke (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6270&path=football) (STARTER)
WR
6-4
Sr.
Maple Grove, Minn.
Maple Grove H.S.

Nick Farina (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6211&path=football) (STARTER)
S
5-11
Sr.
Phoenix, Ariz.
Desert Vista H.S.

Chris Balster (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6192&path=football) (STARTER)
S
5-10
Sr.
Sheldon, Iowa
Sheldon H.S.

Thomas Hopp (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6228&path=football) (BACKUP)
FB
6-2
Sr.
Anchorage, Alaska
Santa Barbara City College

Kane Louscher (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6235&path=football) (STARTER)
FB
6-2
Sr.
Mason City, Iowa
Newman Catholic H.S.

Brady Mengarelli (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6241&path=football) (STARTER)
RB
5-10
Sr.
Prescott, Ariz.
Prescott H.S.

Mason Leiseth (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6233&path=football) (BACKUP)
DE
6-3
Sr.
Hayti, S.D.
Hamlin H.S.

Caleb Lang (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6232&path=football) (BACKUP)
OL
6-3
Sr.
Freeman, S.D.
Freeman H.S.

Jacob Ohnesorge (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6247&path=football) (STARTER)
OL
6-3
Sr.
Waunakee, Wis.
Waunakee H.S.

Charlie Harmon (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6222&path=football) (WAS STARTER, INJURED, DIDN'T PLAY IN THIS YEAR)
OL
6-6
Sr.
O'Fallon, Ill.
O'Fallon Township H.S.

Dallas Goedert (http://www.gojacks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6216&path=football) (STARTER)
TE
6-5
Sr.
Britton, S.D.
Britton-Hecla H.S.

By my count that is 4 defensive starters, and 5 offensive starters we will graduate.

Mengarelli & Louscher, while starters, were primarily role players and split time with others. We are deep at RB. I think the big thing that everyone sees is that Goedert & Weineke will be gone, but there were alot of contributors this year on offense. I am confident that SDSU will be able to move along without skipping a beat. It is possible that we become more run-oriented with our 4 returning OL and the combination of Mikey Daniel & Isaac Wallace.

It will be interesting to see how we progress. Would like to see another push like we did this year.

katss07
January 14th, 2018, 01:06 PM
The 6ish rated conference in the FCS should not have 2 at large bids. 1 is enough, and only because the Southland is top heavy. UCA really blew it this year.
The SLC is the fourth conference, right behind the Big Sky. Nicholls, Sam, UCA, McNeese and Southeastern Louisiana could all realistically earn a playoff spot. So yeah, the SLC is top heavy. That is if the top means the top 5 teams.

PaladinFan
January 14th, 2018, 01:46 PM
I guess I don't get the New Hampshire love. I mean, if the standard is "they made the playoffs and return a lot of players," then there are a number of teams that fit that mold (none of which I think are title contenders in 2018).

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I guess I don't get the New Hampshire love. I mean, if the standard is "they made the playoffs and return a lot of players," then there are a number of teams that fit that mold (none of which I think are title contenders in 2018).

Indiana State returns a lot of starters also, they will be a contender....good enough for you?

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 02:43 PM

seems as though the teams that made the playoffs are the only teams these people saw play all year.....New Hampshire has no chance

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 03:02 PM
seems as though the teams that made the playoffs are the only teams these people saw play all year.....New Hampshire has no chance

How do you know UNH has no chance?

Young team that made the playoffs that will get better. This is all for fun and something to talk about. Some will bitch no matter what and some will troll no matter what right.....

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 03:13 PM
How do you know UNH has no chance?

Young team that made the playoffs that will get better. This is all for fun and something to talk about. Some will bitch no matter what and some will troll no matter what right.....

Who is bitching beside yourself ?

yeah they made the playoffs all right they made the playoffs the last 14 years too

They have no chance

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Who is bitching beside yourself ?

yeah they made the playoffs all right they made the playoffs the last 14 years too

They have no chance

I'm not bitching trollboy. They looked good for a young team like NDSU did in '10 when a lot of the team was RFR and Sophs for the Bison.

POD Knows
January 14th, 2018, 04:22 PM
I'm not bitching trollboy. They looked good for a young team like NDSU did in '10 when a lot of the team was RFR and Sophs for the Bison.They don't have the ability to make it to the next level, they are a decent team YOY but just don't have the horses or the depth,

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 04:24 PM
I'm not bitching trollboy. They looked good for a young team like NDSU did in '10 when a lot of the team was RFR and Sophs for the Bison.

have you seen any other CAA teams play besides JMU?

I would guess yes, but only UNH because they were in the playoffs

Albany beat UNH the week before the playoffs started and rather handily

Villanova will be back

and why do you think UNH will suddenly jump over JMU?

And Delaware? same recored as UNH in regular season but you don't know what's going on with them I'm sure, come sign up on gohens.net if you want to learn

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 04:26 PM
They don't have the ability to make it to the next level, they are a decent team YOY but just don't have the horses or the depth,

Could be.

This is for fun and interesting what others think. Some will troll like caribbeanweeny boy.

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Could be.

This is for fun and interesting what others think. Some will troll like caribbeanweeny boy.

keep going

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 14th, 2018, 04:53 PM
have you seen any other CAA teams play besides JMU?

I would guess yes, but only UNH because they were in the playoffs

Albany beat UNH the week before the playoffs started and rather handily

Villanova will be back

and why do you think UNH will suddenly jump over JMU?

And Delaware? same recored as UNH in regular season but you don't know what's going on with them I'm sure, come sign up on gohens.net if you want to learn

I'll take this step by step for you.

UNH is one team that I think will be a contender. Go look at my first post, JMU is in there. Where did I say...."will suddenly jump over JMU"...?

There are probably 10 teams that can be considered "contenders" next year.

No, I haven't watched every team in the CAA this year. UNH is young and I think they will be right there next year. Could be wrong. So what!

5 others could be:

SDSU
SUU
McNeese
WIU
Delaware

Scooter
January 14th, 2018, 05:07 PM
It seems like this thread should have been titled

Who you think we think are going to be contenders in 18.

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 05:11 PM

UNH is one team that I think will be a contender. Go look at my first post, JMU is in there. Where did I say...."will suddenly jump over JMU"...?

No, I haven't watched every team in the CAA this year. UNH is young and I think they will be right there next year. Could be wrong. So what!

5 others could be:

SDSU
SUU
McNeese
WIU
Delaware

we're making some progress here... but the truth is the only real contender is North Dakota State..... JMU is loading up with transfers so they are still the biggest threat to the Bison until proven otherwise IMHO

I liked the McNeese Defense
WIU... OK
SDSU... Might take a hit losing those 2 studs, besides the QB is traumatized now

Delaware picked up a transfer QB, Darrius Wade, from Boston College, not singing his praises just yet though but an upgrade over last year for sure

the problem with me is I don't really have much of an idea what teams have coming back for next year...

Mike296
January 14th, 2018, 05:59 PM
As the resident APSU fan, I think we have a shot at pulling a YSU if we stay healthy and we actually beat JSU this year. We have a lot coming back and some good talent coming in this year. At our peak i’d say we make it to the Semi’s but get thrashed in that game.

KPSUL
January 14th, 2018, 08:22 PM
the problem with me is I don't really have much of an idea what teams have coming back for next year...

The first problem with you is that you haven't seen a CAA football game this decade and you don't have a clue about anything FCS including what any team has returning except for maybe Delaware. The second is that even though you acknowledge this, you still have to butt into every thread.

Daytripper
January 14th, 2018, 08:44 PM

McNeese won't be there....

JSUSoutherner
January 14th, 2018, 08:45 PM
As the resident APSU fan, I think we have a shot at pulling a YSU if we stay healthy and we actually beat JSU this year. We have a lot coming back and some good talent coming in this year. At our peak i’d say we make it to the Semi’s but get thrashed in that game.

xnodx

UpstateBison
January 14th, 2018, 09:02 PM

If you beat JSU, APSU gets to lose at home to an unseeded team. Until proven otherwise, the OVC is a joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caribbeanhen
January 14th, 2018, 09:03 PM
The first problem with you is that you haven't seen a CAA football game this decade and you don't have a clue about anything FCS including what any team has returning except for maybe Delaware. The second is that even though you acknowledge this, you still have to butt into every thread.

sorry, I didn't realize I needed your permission to post

put down your wine and cheese down and take a look around, you'll see I have a pretty good pulse of what's going on in FCS

Mike296
January 14th, 2018, 09:06 PM
If you beat JSU, APSU gets to lose at home to an unseeded team. Until proven otherwise, the OVC is a joke.

You never know, We could pull a San Diego and win 1 game then lose the next round. Realistically though you’re probably right and we’ll be a 1 and done in the playoffs. It’s still nice though that we are even in the playoff picture at all given our recent history of being nothing but a punching bag for the rest of the FCS to beat to hell.

UpstateBison
January 14th, 2018, 09:17 PM
You never know, We could pull a San Diego and win 1 game then lose the next round. Realistically though you’re probably right and we’ll be a 1 and done in the playoffs. It’s still nice though that we are even in the playoff picture at all given our recent history of being nothing but a punching bag for the rest of the FCS to beat to hell.

I respect what you accomplished last year. However, I do not think you are quite at the level of YSU making a NC run. They beat JSU at home in the first round. Just sayin....

Derby City Duke
January 14th, 2018, 09:52 PM
we're making some progress here... but the truth is the only real contender is North Dakota State..... JMU is loading up with transfers so they are still the biggest threat to the Bison until proven otherwise IMHO

I liked the McNeese Defense
WIU... OK
SDSU... Might take a hit losing those 2 studs, besides the QB is traumatized now

Delaware picked up a transfer QB, Darrius Wade, from Boston College, not singing his praises just yet though but an upgrade over last year for sure

I'm not sure 3 is 'loading up with transfers'; I only know of the Pitt QB and the DL from UVa -- the 3rd guy played at a CC in Kansas last season, don't know when he left Virginia.

Maybe I've missed one somewhere.

Houston really uses the transfers mostly for depth -- a couple of exceptions this year in Alls and Eldridge on O and S. Robinson on D. Alls was the #4 receiver last year. Marshall saw his big increase in carries because of Cardon Johnson's injury. Before somebody says Schor was an FBS transfer, he never went to Miami (OH) -- his scholly was pulled after a coaching change. Went the JUCO route because that's all he could do given the timing.

Derby City Duke
January 14th, 2018, 09:57 PM
I know we play the game on the field and not in the message boards, but the current reality, based on 'who everybody's got coming back and with everybody healthy', is that NDSU is starting at midfield, JMU at the 35 and most of the rest of the field are inside their own 20. Lot of ground to make up.

UpstateBison
January 14th, 2018, 10:23 PM
I know we play the game on the field and not in the message boards, but the current reality, based on 'who everybody's got coming back and with everybody healthy', is that NDSU is starting at midfield, JMU at the 35 and most of the rest of the field are inside their own 20. Lot of ground to make up.

Agree. Great respect for Coach Houston and JMU. NDSU is loaded for next year. P5 transfers are so overrated. I expect a repeat of NDSU & JMU in Frisco next year.

Lehigh'98
January 15th, 2018, 09:23 AM
Let's be honest, it's going to be NDSU or NDSU winning the title next year. They have ridiculous talent returning and it looks like staff stays in place.

UNHWildcat18
January 15th, 2018, 10:17 AM

5 others could be:

SDSU
SUU
McNeese
WIU
Delaware

Im laughing at how mad the UD fans are getting.

UNHWildcat18
January 15th, 2018, 10:20 AM
They don't have the ability to make it to the next level, they are a decent team YOY but just don't have the horses or the depth,

While I think we can contend in some areas of the field, you are correct. Our current QB RB OL WR(lost our stapleton like guy this year due to off field activities) are simply not good enough to play a full game and beat the JMU and NDSU teams that played in the NC this year. Still expect us to improve and make it to atleast the quarters again.

Go Lehigh TU owl
January 15th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Let's be honest, it's going to be NDSU or NDSU winning the title next year. They have ridiculous talent returning and it looks like staff stays in place.

Absolutely. Everyone is playing for second next year.

POD Knows
January 15th, 2018, 11:09 AM
While I think we can contend in some areas of the field, you are correct. Our current QB RB OL WR(lost our stapleton like guy this year due to off field activities) are simply not good enough to play a full game and beat the JMU and NDSU teams that played in the NC this year. Still expect us to improve and make it to atleast the quarters again.I think if you guys stay healthy you can make a decent run, I would expect you would make the playoffs again and maybe win a game or two.

Bison56
January 16th, 2018, 07:27 AM

You will have to win the OVC to get in the playoffs. I don't see 2 teams from the OVC getting in, and OVCs top team over the years has not been very impressive in the playoffs so you wont get a lot of people to agree with your post. Good luck nest season!

katss07
January 16th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Thats a major stretch IMO. Look, I respect the hell out of Healy and what APSU has done. I was really pulling for you guys to get in last year, but the issue was the OVC was bad again, outside of Jacksonville St (EIU was average I guess). That doesn’t change this season. Maybe you guys pull a Kennesaw and make the quarterfinals, but that would kind of shock me too. I think you guys should make the playoffs, but that would mean winning the OVC and probably playing in round one. I just couldn’t see that happening. But I am pulling for you guys (unless you play Sam, which there is probably a good chance that if we sneak in, we play you guys if you are in).

The stupid thing about this committee is that they give JSU a high seed for winning the OVC and beating one good team on the way. But that second place team from that conference doesnt get in. Just doesn’t add up, but thats nothing new in the FCS.