PDA

View Full Version : "preseason"

UNHWildCats
February 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I have noticed while reading a number of message boards the past few days searching for schedules that numerous people use the term "preseason" when refering to the games before the conference schedule.

pre·sea·son (prē'sē'zən) Pronunciation Key (http://cache.lexico.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html)
n. The period immediately before the start of a new season, in which athletes undergo intensive training and participate in exhibition games.

Does this usage bother or annoy anyone else? I dont know how anyone can refer to them as preseason games when they have significant influence on a teams postseason plans.

AppGuy04
February 16th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Referring to teams before conference as preseason is cocky IMO

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Referring to teams before conference as preseason is cocky IMO

Not to mention self-delusional, in a lot of cases.

carney2
February 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I refer to ALL games - League and OOC - that precede the annual tussle with Lehigh as preseason. In my mind it does not violate any definition of the word.

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM
I refer to ALL games - League and OOC - that precede the annual tussle with Lehigh as preseason. In my mind it does not violate any definition of the word.

So........ it's OK if you go 0-10 in preseason, as long as you beat Lehigh?:confused:

TheValleyRaider
February 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
So........ it's OK if you go 0-10 in preseason, as long as you beat Lehigh?:confused:

A true definition of a rivalry. Of course, given their recent success, I'd be really interested to see Lafayette fans keep that mentality if they really go 1-10 in the near future.

As for the question on the thread, it depends. Truthfully, if you're in an auto-bid conference, you can lose all your OOC games, then go undefeated in Conference and still go to the playoffs. It sounds kinda pretentious, or it could be simple recognition of a truly difficult OOC schedule (say, Portland State last year).

carney2
February 16th, 2007, 02:29 PM

"OK" is a stretch, but on the other hand 10-1 with the "1" being a loss to Lehigh would provoke thoughts of suicide.

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM
"OK" is a stretch, but on the other hand 10-1 with the "1" being a loss to Lehigh would provoke thoughts of suicide.

That's easily understandable!:thumbsup:

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 02:44 PM
A true definition of a rivalry. Of course, given their recent success, I'd be really interested to see Lafayette fans keep that mentality if they really go 1-10 in the near future.

As for the question on the thread, it depends. Truthfully, if you're in an auto-bid conference, you can lose all your OOC games, then go undefeated in Conference and still go to the playoffs. It sounds kinda pretentious, or it could be simple recognition of a truly difficult OOC schedule (say, Portland State last year).

Point well taken- going 0 for OOC really doesn't matter much at the end of the day if you can take your conference. That's what you remember years later, rather than the losses that really didn't matter.

Keeper
February 18th, 2007, 08:42 PM
RIGHT NOW is the pre-season.

bobbythekidd
February 18th, 2007, 09:48 PM
RIGHT NOW is the pre-season.
Thats the way I see it. I have never heard of anyone saying OOC games are "pre-season".

Is that a northern thing?

UNHWildCats
February 19th, 2007, 12:21 AM
i think one of the places i saw the usage alot was the NDSU board, but im too afraid to go back there, them scary people!

kardplayer
February 19th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I call all the pre-Patriot League games preseason, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Its not that I don't respect the other teams Lehigh plays - far from it. Its just that since Lehigh doesn't need to win those games to make the playoffs, I don't worry about them as much.

lizrdgizrd
February 19th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I call all the pre-Patriot League games preseason, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Its not that I don't respect the other teams Lehigh plays - far from it. Its just that since Lehigh doesn't need to win those games to make the playoffs, I don't worry about them as much.
Don't think we haven't noticed either. Funny how the PL didn't have a team with 7 D-I wins. Good thing you've got an autobid.

Go...gate
February 19th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I've always used "non-conference" or the AGS term "OOC".

LeopardFan04
February 19th, 2007, 01:41 PM
I've always used "non-conference" or the AGS term "OOC".

Same here...for me preseason=exhibition

kardplayer
February 20th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Don't think we haven't noticed either. Funny how the PL didn't have a team with 7 D-I wins. Good thing you've got an autobid.

Whatever. Nice cheap shot.

If a team isn't good enough to win its conference, explain to me why it should be national champion? There shouldn't be any at large bids.

kardplayer
February 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM
They all became "preseason" to me when Lehigh got woofed a few years ago.

And don't try to convince me that your school's admins don't feel the same way - if you are scheduling a FBS/BCS school and/or any DII school, then you're not taking OOC games as "meaningful" either. There were what, 7 FBS wins last year? You may pull one off, but the reality is you are using the OOC schedule to prep for the conference season too.

Put another way lizard, ask the App. State AD if he thinks you guys have a shot at beating Michigan. If not, then its a preseason game plain and simple.

lizrdgizrd
February 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
They all became "preseason" to me when Lehigh got woofed a few years ago.

And don't try to convince me that your school's admins don't feel the same way - if you are scheduling a FBS/BCS school and/or any DII school, then you're not taking OOC games as "meaningful" either. There were what, 7 FBS wins last year? You may pull one off, but the reality is you are using the OOC schedule to prep for the conference season too.

Put another way lizard, ask the App. State AD if he thinks you guys have a shot at beating Michigan. If not, then its a preseason game plain and simple.
It's all about the $$ and filling a hole in our schedule. :nod:

I'd consider any FCS non-conference opponent as not preseason. If you win it counts toward the playoffs.

lizrdgizrd
February 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM

If a team isn't good enough to win its conference, explain to me why it should be national champion? There shouldn't be any at large bids.
Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

So now you want to change the playoffs? Why not just drop autobids altogether and have the 16 best teams fight it out? That'd make for a superior product on the field. :nod:

Peems
February 20th, 2007, 02:23 PM

but if there is a tie, then certain teams definitely deserve a shot. plus who is to say that the winner of the PL is better than the second place team from the Gateway?