PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky VS D-II and NAIA in '07

OB55
February 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Looking over the composite Big Sky Schedule and noting the number of games Vs. D-II schools and even one, EWU Vs. Montana Western, against NAIA.

My thoughts: What's the benefit besides a home game? And what if there is a loss to one of these lower level schools?

That second question might be a serious consideration for UNC this year.:eyebrow:

Tod
February 16th, 2007, 11:28 AM
The home game and (almost) guaranteed win are a part of the equation, I'm sure. But it can also be difficult to fill an FCS schedule in the west. :twocents:

poly51
February 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
The home game and (almost) guaranteed win are a part of the equation, I'm sure. But it can also be difficult to fill an FCS schedule in the west. :twocents:

It is a lot easier if you are willing to play Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo once in awhile.

Tod
February 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
It is a lot easier if you are willing to play Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo once in awhile.

Yeah, I've been saying the same thing for a long time. :( :(

Sundown
February 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM

QFT.

OB55
February 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Do these games put any negative effect upon post season seating?

Montana State last year notwithstanding.

Sundown
February 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Do these games put any negative effect upon post season seating?

Montana State last year notwithstanding.

Only if we lose a game during the regular season. :nonono2:

Proud Griz Man
February 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM

I watched the Griz play Cal Poly in SLO in 1999 and 2001, and probably had a post-game beverage with you at Mother's Tavern or McClintocks. :thumbsup:

Russ B
February 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
My thoughts: What's the benefit besides a home game?

While I have no idea if this is the case in any of the BSC match-ups, Davis scheduled against an NAIA team one year so that the team could have more game experience vs. an option offense.

JBB
February 16th, 2007, 01:56 PM
NDSU, while in D2, always did what the Grizz are doing. We scheduled at home. We didnt have one home/home that I can remember and I go back a long way.

Its a good strategy, but it wears a little thin on the rest of the division. They need home games too. I was sure one of the reasons NDSU moved up was scheduling. We could get better opponents in Fargo than we were getting. Plus, without giving in to the home/home, we were having an almost impossible time finding ooc games. Thats a tough corner to paint yourself into. The Montana schools are at least learning its ok to use contracts to your legal advantage but there might be a price.

Overall, the quality of football has improved in Fargo. We owe a lot to our GWFC brothers for that. Otherwise the FCS has been a hard place to schedule. Nobody wants a challenge. To schedule well you need a large, competitive conference. You need to sign and honor home/homes. You need to pay good guarantees.

Peems
February 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM
NDSU, while in D2, always did what the Grizz are doing. We scheduled at home. We didnt have one home/home that I can remember and I go back a long way.

Its a good strategy, but it wears a little thin on the rest of the division. They need home games too. I was sure one of the reasons NDSU moved up was scheduling. We could get better opponents in Fargo than we were getting. Plus, without giving in to the home/home, we were having an almost impossible time finding ooc games. Thats a tough corner to paint yourself into. The Montana schools are at least learning its ok to use contracts to your legal advantage but there might be a price.

Overall, the quality of football has improved in Fargo. We owe a lot to our GWFC brothers for that. Otherwise the FCS has been a hard place to schedule. Nobody wants a challenge. To schedule well you need a large, competitive conference. You need to sign and honor home/homes. You need to pay good guarantees.

good post. While the money is one HUGE reason for these home games against "lower" competition. I just think that the benefit of playing FCS competition is it can get you ready for conference play and possibly the playoffs. In all actuality it doesnt matter how you do in OOC because you can still win the conference and make the playoffs(in most conferences) but playing good teams early helps in the long run.

lizrdgizrd
February 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
It's not always easy in the east either! :bawling:

RabidRabbit
February 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Good non-accusatory post. The west is rapidly approaching gridlock on the OOC games. If Gateway joins Big Sky at 9 members, and SLC is at 8, with other existing members talking about bringing back football, SWAC & MEAC at 9+ members..... There's not going to be many OOC games available for those leagues' members. :mad: :mad:

Poly/Davis/SUU, even UND USD, tough scheduling road ahead. :nonono2:

89Hen
February 16th, 2007, 04:40 PM
But it can also be difficult to fill an FCS schedule in the west. :twocents:
Especially if you back out of the second half of home and homes. :p

OB55
February 16th, 2007, 06:06 PM
EWU vs. Montana Western? Why?:anim_chai

eagle1
February 16th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I am not very happy that we are playing this game but it is nice to have 6 homes games for a change. EWU has had a hard time getting any FCS teams to come out to Cheney so we have got to find opponents somewhere. At least we have UC Davis coming to town in September. Go Eagles!!!

Tod
February 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Especially if you back out of the second half of home and homes. :p

:mad:

True.

:o

OB55
February 16th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I am not very happy that we are playing this game but it is nice to have 6 homes games for a change. EWU has had a hard time getting any FCS teams to come out to Cheney so we have got to find opponents somewhere. At least we have UC Davis coming to town in September. Go Eagles!!!
Well, hope coach lets them party up before and after that one. :confused: :nonono2:

TonkaBison
February 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM
EWU vs. Montana Western? Why?:anim_chai

Good question. NDSU scheduled Montana Tech basically because we had to a couple of years ago. Right now I don't know why any FCS team would want to schedule a D-II or God forbid an NAIA team. Look what it did to Poly last year it cost them a possible playoff spot for lack of 7 FCS wins. :bawling:

The alumni and fans of NDSU have made it clear we are no longer interested in D-II games and Gene Taylor our AD has heard the message. I don't think we will be seeing any more of that in Fargo. :hurray: I certainly won't drive from Minneapolis to watch it!

Sundown
February 16th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Good question. NDSU scheduled Montana Tech basically because we had to a couple of years ago. Right now I don't know why any FCS team would want to schedule a D-II or God forbid an NAIA team. Look what it did to Poly last year it cost them a possible playoff spot for lack of 7 FCS wins. :bawling:

The alumni and fans of NDSU have made it clear we are no longer interested in D-II games and Gene Taylor our AD has heard the message. I don't think we will be seeing any more of that in Fargo. :hurray: I certainly won't drive from Minneapolis to watch it!

Good for you guys. *sigh*

JALMOND
February 17th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I, too would rather not step down and play. Even though it hurt us last year, I would rather step up if we cannot get a full FCS schedule, and a win against the FBS looks better than a win (or a loss) against DII or NAIA (at least it should). Plus, it is supposed to help in the eyes of the committee when you play a full DI schedule.

I Bleed Purple
February 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Damn it, I can't even find Weber's schedule if it has even been released yet. I don't think it has, not on our athletics page.

McBride isn't too keen on DII play I think. We've played Western State a bunch over the past years, but that's the only one. We'll probably have a MWC road game and then likely a GW team. I don't know if we had a home and home against Cal Poly or not, maybe you fans can clue me in. Not sure about the other two Saturdays.

OB55
February 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Damn it, I can't even find Weber's schedule if it has even been released yet. I don't think it has, not on our athletics page.

McBride isn't too keen on DII play I think. We've played Western State a bunch over the past years, but that's the only one. We'll probably have a MWC road game and then likely a GW team. I don't know if we had a home and home against Cal Poly or not, maybe you fans can clue me in. Not sure about the other two Saturdays.
The entire Big Sky football schedule can be viewed via link in the 'composite schedule' thread in this forum.:)

ndsubison
February 18th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Ha Ha! As a GWFC member you should already know the answer to that question. Everybody knows a BSC team will buy out the contract. Like they say, if you're gonna get your ass kicked you might as well get paid well for it. :read:

I Bleed Purple
February 18th, 2007, 07:31 PM
The entire Big Sky football schedule can be viewed via link in the 'composite schedule' thread in this forum.
Thanks. Looking at that, I hope we do get a DII team. Four home games, all of them league games, doesn't sound too appealing. It does look like we have a home and home against Cal Poly

Ha Ha! As a GWFC member you should already know the answer to that question. Everybody knows a BSC team will buy out the contract. Like they say, if you're gonna get your ass kicked you might as well get paid well for it. :read:
Read above. But then again, if it doesn't have Montana in the name, it isn't a BSC school. :rolleyes:

OB55
February 18th, 2007, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=I Bleed Purple]Thanks. Looking at that, I hope we do get a DII team. Four home games, all of them league games, doesn't sound too appealing. It does look like we have a home and home against Cal Poly

Check out West Texas A&M, they been killing RMAC teams the last couple seasons and may be looking for a game. Them and Weber would be interesting.:nod:

I Bleed Purple
February 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Check out West Texas A&M, they been killing RMAC teams the last couple seasons and may be looking for a game. Them and Weber would be interesting.:nod:
Is that the same league that Western State is in?

OB55
February 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Is that the same league that Western State is in?
Western State is in RMAC and has been hovering near the bottom for the last few years. WTAM is in Lone Star Conf. and has participated in the D-II playoffs for last two years. They are an old D-1 program back in the 70s and 80s known then as West Texas State. They still get 10,000 fans to their games and last year mopped the floor with RMAC schools Adams State and Mesa State, before being eliminated from the playoffs by 12-1 Chadron State.
They throw the ball alot.

Gil Dobie
February 18th, 2007, 10:59 PM
NDSU, while in D2, always did what the Grizz are doing. We scheduled at home. We didnt have one home/home that I can remember and I go back a long way. .

Northern Michigan thru the 1980's was home and home if I remember correctly.

Gil Dobie
February 18th, 2007, 11:04 PM

1. Money
2. Money
3. Money

Montana makes more on a home game than any guarantee a FCS team could come up with, not even taking into consideration a home and home. If the Montana fans quit paying to see these games things might be different, but Montana fans are faithful and support their team as it should be.

JALMOND
February 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Portland State does not buy out contracts and Portland State does not get our ass kicked. The problem lies with the Great West. With the exception of Davis, no one in the Great West wants to play us.

JBB
February 19th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I kind of doubt that. Im pretty sure if we had compatable open dates NDSU would take the game. We would proably pay the guarantee or do the home/home starting in Fargo. We need home games this year and are about ready to start looking D2 over. : smh :

jpuetz
February 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I know that the NDSU AD has talked to PSU about scheduling games, but nothing has come of it. I would love to see that game. I'd rent out the entire Multnomah Athletic Club terrace for that game. I think there is some friction between PSU and NDSU because PSU was rather vocal about not wanting NDSU and SDSU in the Big Sky because of the travel costs.