PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the proposal to send and the Title game to a Bowl game?

ASU33
January 10th, 2018, 06:26 AM
I know a few years ago there were rumblings about the FCS title game being degraded as a Bowl but what happened with that proposal?

walliver
January 26th, 2018, 08:28 AM
The FCS championship is in many ways a minor bowl game as it is.

The problem with sending the FCS champion to an existing bowl game is that the FCS playoffs extend well into December, long past the time of the G5 bowls. The major bowls don't want G5 teams, so it should be obvious they wouldn't want an FCS team

Bisonator
January 26th, 2018, 08:45 AM
I think they were just looking to rename it a Bowl not actually send the winner to a Bowl game. Not sure whatever happened to the idea.

JayJ79
January 26th, 2018, 09:19 AM
If calling it a bowl meant better sponsorship money and TV coverage, I wouldn't have a problem with it.
but I doubt that'd be the case.

Derby City Duke
January 26th, 2018, 02:47 PM
The D-III championship has been known as the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl since 1973. It's been held in 4 different locations in that time (Salem, VA, Phenix City, AL, Kings Island, OH, and Bradenton, FL. After 25 consecutive years, it will move from Salem to Texas for the next 2 years, then to Canton, OH.

From '69 - '72 they had 2 regional championship games (East and West) -- one was called the Stagg Bowl and the other was the Knute Rockne Bowl.

Market brands is usually a good thing. Think we could come up with a cool bowl name for Frisco (the "North Dakota State Invitational (or any variant) is NOT acceptable :D).

Bisonoline
January 26th, 2018, 03:13 PM
They put the bowl lable on the championship many years ago. The Camillie Bowl, Pecan, Alonzo Stagg and a few more.

dewey
January 27th, 2018, 08:00 AM
They put the bowl lable on the championship many years ago. The Camillie Bowl, Pecan, Alonzo Stagg and a few more.

Just to add onto the bowls that were in the College division back in the 60's.

There was the Pecan, Mineral Water, Camellia and more at the link below.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180127/99baa9a0a839798c210dde8ad52abdfd.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_II_Football_Championship

The bowls were regional.

I do like the sound of the North Dakota State University invitationalxthumbsupx

Dewey

dgtw
January 28th, 2018, 08:21 AM
I like the idea of giving the FCS title game a bowl name, but I worry some might see it and not realize it is a real championship game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twentysix
January 28th, 2018, 01:01 PM
I like the idea of giving the FCS title game a bowl name, but I worry some might see it and not realize it is a real championship game

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkPeople already see the fcs championship and have a hard time acknowledging that its a DI championship. I wouldn't be too worried.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JayJ79
January 30th, 2018, 09:23 PM
People already see the fcs championship and have a hard time acknowledging that its a DI championship. I wouldn't be too worried.

at one point, it was THE highest football championship that the NCAA sanctioned. But that might have changed since then (don't know of they ended up sanctioning the "college football playoff" mumbo jumbo that the P5 schools do now)

Bisonoline
January 30th, 2018, 09:32 PM
at one point, it was THE highest football championship that the NCAA sanctioned. But that might have changed since then (don't know of they ended up sanctioning the "college football playoff" mumbo jumbo that the P5 schools do now)

They have to sanction it or the game cant be played just like all of the bowl games.

Thumper 76
January 31st, 2018, 01:25 AM
Barf. I didn't like the idea then and I don't like it now. Unless there is a large dollar amount attached I don't really see the point to it. I doubt that submerging the championship in the cess pool of irrelevant exhibitions known as bowl games will bring more eyeballs. I certainly don't see it somehow elevating the perception of the division by attaching it to a bunch of bowls with 6 win FBS teams, it would just allow ESPN to ignore the game even more than they already do IMO. However, IF there is some way to give it a historically meaningful name to it, then I would be possibly interested. I would be fully on board if whoever put the money up for the game included a decent sum for the participants who made the game, or the playoffs, or enough to fund the travel in the playoffs to prevent regionalization and the NCAA from taking schools gate $$. That could be a useful incentive to bring back the SWAC and MEAC or perhaps be used as a lure to the Ivys. But that amount of money is pretty much never going to happen unless someone convinces Denny Sanford that it would be a good way to help him donate away all his money like he claims he wants to.