PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Rivalry games in your state(in-state only)

SU Jag
February 15th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Well here in Alabama:

1. Alabama vs Auburn(The Iron Bowl-Talked about all year, all day.
2.Alabama State vs Alabama A&M-(The Magic City Classic)-These two love to hate each other. This game can get you fired or keep you around 1-more year
3a.Alabama State vs Tuskegee-(The Turkey Day Classic)-Only about 30-minutes apart!:nod:
3b-Tuskegee vs. Miles-Hate, plain old-fashioned hate! The game will be back @ Legion Feild where it should have stayed. The on-campus sites were entirely to small to house this one. Back in 2004 over 35,000 showed up @ Legion Feild.
4.Miles vs Stillman(Steel City Classic)-big game weekend at Birmiingham's Legion Feild.
5. Jacksonville State vs. Samford-not much of a rilvary lately, JSU has dominated and Hoover High has a bigger fan base than Samford
6. Tuskegee vs Stillman- A new rilvary that has grown over the past few year. Average crowd is around 11,000, not bad for a on-campus d-2 game.
7. North Alabama vs West Alabama- near the bottom because traditionally West Alabama has sucked, BAD!!!!! But with the arrival of UNA legend Bobby Wallace, West Alabama has become competitive and its looking more like a rilvalry.

crunifan
February 15th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Well, in Iowa, there is only one worth talking about...

Iowa vs. Iowa State

Battle for the Cy-Hawk Trophy

Whether it be football, basketball, or wrestling. The state basically shuts down to gawk at the two evil empires duke it out.

UNI vs. Iowa and Iowa State is becoming news on the basketball end. But nothing like the other two.

walliver
February 15th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I'm originally from SC so:

1) Carolina-Clemson
2) No-one comes close
3) Furman-Citadel
4) Toss up between Wofford-Furman, Wofford-Citadel, CCU-CSU

I currently live in Georgia so:

1) Georgia-Georgia Tech
2) empty
3) empty

GSU and SSU don't really have any intrastate rivalries.

Cocky
February 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure we don't have a bigger rivalry with A&M than Samford. Samford has plain sucked the last few years and it doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

Troy and UAB would love to have a rivalry but neither has the media pull. JSU and Troy did have a rivalry that would have been in the top 3 or 4 but the football division changes killed it.

GeauxLions94
February 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Here in Louisiana ...

1. Southern/Grambling .... nothing more needs to be said
2. Northwestern State/McNeese State .... SLC title usually at stake
3. LSU/Tulane .... not much of a series as TU hasn't been a force in decades

The SLC schools in the state (SLU, McNeese State, Northwestern State and Nicholls State) all have pretty good rivalries that are getting better each season.

A good series gone to the wayside (i.e. crapper)
Louisiana Tech/UL Monroe .... Techies are high and mighty in WAC and want nothing to do with Slug Belt

ngineer
February 15th, 2007, 09:08 PM
In Pennsylvania it's a no-brainer--this coming November for the 143rd time Lafayette versus Lehigh! Can't really think of anything else that comes close. Penn State-Pitt doesn't exist anymore...

UNHWILDCATS05
February 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM
In NH it is UNH vs. Dartmouth (The Granite Bowl)

SU Jag
February 15th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure we don't have a bigger rivalry with A&M than Samford. Samford has plain sucked the last few years and it doesn't appear to be changing anytime soon.

Troy and UAB would love to have a rivalry but neither has the media pull. JSU and Troy did have a rivalry that would have been in the top 3 or 4 but the football division changes killed it.

Hey Cocky, what about JSU/UNA? Will we ever see that one again?

TheBisonator
February 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
1) North Dakota State vs. South Dakota State. 19,053 screaming fans can't be wrong.

There is nothing else on this list.

Mountaineer
February 15th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Carolina - Dook: Basketball
Carolina - NC State: All
Carolina - Dook: Everything but basketball
Carolina - Dook - Wake Forest - NC State: Circle jerk
East Carolina - Anybody: Anything
ASU - WCU: Football
ASU - Davidson: Basketball
ASU - UNC-G: Basketball

T-Dog
February 15th, 2007, 09:16 PM
For football, it's really hard to gauge in NC. Everyone would say Duke/Carolina, but they both suck really bad right now and no one cares. NCSU sucks too and no one cares that much about Wake. ASU/WCU is kind of one-sided and besides that, maybe NCCU, WSST, and NCA&T have something big going on, but I don't know.

So by default, NCSU/UNC only because Duke is never going to be any good at football ever and no one cares....plus NCSU has that underdog vibe to them so it's fun to watch.

Now if it were basketball, all bets are off, Duke/Carolina number one, everything else distant second, third, etc.

citdog
February 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Clemson-USC, Citadel-Vermin, Vermin-Woco, Presby-Newberry

MR. CHICKEN
February 15th, 2007, 09:28 PM
DELAWARE.....vs.....DELAWARE STATE............UH NEVERAH MIND....: smh :....AWK!

NEWARK HIGH.....WILLIAM PENN
ST. MARK'S........SALLIES

slostang
February 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
In California:

FBS:
USC vs UCLA
Cal vs Stanford
Fresno State vs San Jose State

FCS:
Cal Poly vs UC Davis
UC Davis vs Sac State

Use to have Cal Poly vs Sac State for the last 20 years until Sac backed out this year.

Cocky
February 15th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Hey Cocky, what about JSU/UNA? Will we ever see that one again?

I would love to see them move up, especially if we stay in FCS football. They did spank our butts at our place the last time we played, but it has been a good rivalry in the past. It would rank near the bottom of your list.

MR. CHICKEN
February 15th, 2007, 09:32 PM
DELAWARE vs DELAWARE STATE........UH ER UM...NEVERAH MIND......: smh :...AWK!

Pauly LB
February 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
SloStang...

Will a new coach at Sac State make a difference in scheduling future games vs Cal Poly? It is a real shame to lose that rivalry -- especially since the two schools are so close... But then, money talks...

slostang
February 15th, 2007, 10:21 PM
SloStang...

Will a new coach at Sac State make a difference in scheduling future games vs Cal Poly? It is a real shame to lose that rivalry -- especially since the two schools are so close... But then, money talks...
I am hoping so, but it is most likely the AD that makes that call. The coach can certainly influence the call though.

BlueHen86
February 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
In Delaware the biggest rivalry is between people who think we should play Del State, and those who don't.

proasu89
February 15th, 2007, 10:33 PM
1) North Dakota State vs. South Dakota State. 19,053 screaming fans can't be wrong.

So...there is only one Dakotaxidiotx

FargoBison
February 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Let me see.....

1.NDSU vs UND
2.UND vs Trinity Bible College xlolx :rotateh: xlolx

proasu89
February 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Let me see.....

1.NDSU vs UND

I was referring to the Bisonator not being able to read the thread title and keep it in-state. What kind of attendance does the NDSU/UND game draw? When UND hosts do they match your attendance?

Go...gate
February 15th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Since St. Bonaventure, Canisus, Niagara, St. John's and others have dropped football, and since Syracuse-Colgate, Syracuse-Army, Syracuse-Cornell, Fordham-NYU and Fordham-Syracuse (all rivalries which began at the end of the 19th century) are all no more, along with Hofstra-C.W. Post, a great old small college rivalry, let's see what's left in New York State on a yearly basis:

Colgate-Cornell (the last two of the "Upstate New York Big Three")
Fordham-Columbia (Liberty Cup game)
Cornell-Columbia (Ivy League conference matchup)
Iona-Marist
Wagner-Stony Brook
Albany-Stony Brook
Albany-Wagner
Hofstra- ??
Buffalo- ?? (they play Syracuse, Colgate infrequently and AIR, played Hofstra once or twice in the 1990's (Hofstra fans, please correct me if I am mistaken)

Bottom line is that almost all of the traditional NYS rivalries have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

PaladinFan
February 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I am going against the grain here, but calling Wofford/Furman a rivalry is a bit of a stretch. Yeah, they have played more games than any two teams in South Carolina, but it's been a rather onesided affair in every sport for a while now.

Furman gets up for GSU, App State, and El Cid and that's about it.

ucdtim17
February 15th, 2007, 11:00 PM
In California:

FBS:
USC vs UCLA
Cal vs Stanford

FCS:
Cal Poly vs UC Davis
UC Davis vs Sac State

Use to have Cal Poly vs Sac State for the last 20 years until Sac backed out this year.

I would put Cal and Stanford above UCLA-SC, if the above is ranked in order. I may be biased being from the Bay Area, but it is the "Big Game" and the longest running rivalry in the west (and produced perhaps the most famous play in the history of sports) - does the UCLA-USC game even have a name?

AZBison
February 15th, 2007, 11:02 PM

c'mon you know that it's NDSU vs. UND and the rivalry will resume in the next few years. No matter how lopsided it will be :nod: (Go Bison)

citdog
February 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM
WE HATE FURMAN! With their lilly white horse and their red dirt and their King James Version and their well mostly because they beat us! :bawling:

NU Hound29
February 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I think Mass has gotta be

UMass vs Northeastern...the Don Brown Bowl

Too bad NU has not won in awhile. BU dropping football doesn't help.

Unless you count an occasional BC game here or there.

FargoBison
February 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
I was referring to the Bisonator not being able to read the thread title and keep it in-state. What kind of attendance does the NDSU/UND game draw? When UND hosts do they match your attendance?

Their stadium only seats 12.5k to our 19.2k so they can't match our attendance but the games always sell out at both stadiums and the atmosphere is always electric. The game is always on statewide tv and it seems like all the media outlets center around the game for the entire week leading up to it. After typing that I have wonder just why aren't we playing UND, there is a lot of dislike between the two but the games are always a blast.

slostang
February 15th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I would put Cal and Stanford above UCLA-SC, if the above is ranked in order. I may be biased being from the Bay Area, but it is the "Big Game" and the longest running rivalry in the west (and produced perhaps the most famous play in the history of sports) - does the UCLA-USC game even have a name?
Probably in terms of a rivalry you are correct. In terms of the magnitude of the game on a national scale, I would bet on USC/UCLA over the years would rank higher. USC would of played OSU in the national championship game this year if it had not been for the loss to a non ranked UCLA team and Florida would not be the national champions for example.

NDSUFREAK
February 15th, 2007, 11:46 PM

It is actually nation wide TV.

ucdtim17
February 16th, 2007, 12:00 AM
This really doesn't get old - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0sNGY1EpA

As Joe Starkey said, it was an amazing finish even before "The Play." John Elway, down by 2, 4th and 17 on his own 13 with 57 seconds left . . .

Husky Alum
February 16th, 2007, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't call NU-UMass a rivalry game.

While we consider UMass a rival for obvious reasons, I don't think the UMass fans juices get flowing for a game against us any more than they do for URI, or UNH, or Maine.

We also have to BEAT the other team for it to be a rivalry, something that we haven't done much lately. We haven't won in Amherst since JFK was President, believe it or not - and we play them almost every other year out there.

I'd think that if UMass and Holy Cross ever started playing again on a regular basis (I think they're playing this year), that would be a good local rivalry.

Even when BU played football it wasn't a real rivalry with NU as they didn't play us for almost a 20 year period (1974-1992), and then once we started playing them again, we weren't that good and they stomped us more often than not - and when we got better, they dropped football.

Arguably, the best "rivalry" in MA is Yale-Harvard. I know it's not in-state, but it's the best rivalry around.

Bobcat in NC
February 16th, 2007, 05:45 AM
1. Cat/Griz.
2. There really isn't a #2. Maybe Butte High vs. Every other AA HS? Tech vs. Carroll?

spelunker64
February 16th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Jamestown Jimmies vs. Valley City State Vikings
U of Mary vs. UND
Mayville State vs. Dickinson State

until we start playing the Sue again...

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I am going against the grain here, but calling Wofford/Furman a rivalry is a bit of a stretch. Yeah, they have played more games than any two teams in South Carolina, but it's been a rather onesided affair in every sport for a while now.

1) Clemson - USC
2) Furman - Citadel
3) Presbyterian- Newberry.

I personally think as time goes on and Wofford catches us a few times, which will happen, Furman and Wofford will heat up. There are too many reasons for it to be a rivalry to keep it from happening.

I think the reason most Furmans don't consider it a rivalry is because during a large part of the history, Wofford was NAIA or D-II. Give it time and this one will become hot (assuming both teams stay competitive)

While I hate to say it, I certainly hope Higgins is bringing back the Citadel. The Furman - Citadel rivalry has fallen some over the last 20 years. An improving Citadel football team will go a long way to cranking the rivalry back up.

It is too much fun to hate puke blue bellhops:D

Chants67
February 16th, 2007, 08:05 AM

1) Carolina-Clemson
2) No-one comes close
3) Furman-Citadel

1) Georgia-Georgia Tech
2) empty
3) empty

I don't think its fair to really include Coastal in any rivalries given our programs young history. Outside of the 2005 game against CSU which brought only bad blood between the schools (as far as football goes) I don't think it qualifies as a rivalry

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM
1) Clemson - USC
2) Furman - Citadel
3) Presbyterian- Newberry.

I personally think as time goes on and Wofford catches us a few times, which will happen, Furman and Wofford will heat up. There are too many reasons for it to be a rivalry to keep it from happening.

I think the reason most Furmans don't consider it a rivalry is because during a large part of the history, Wofford was NAIA or D-II. Give it time and this one will become hot (assuming both teams stay competitive)

While I hate to say it, I certainly hope Higgins is bringing back the Citadel. The Furman - Citadel rivalry has fallen some over the last 20 years. An improving Citadel football team will go a long way to cranking the rivalry back up.

It is too much fun to hate puke blue bellhops:D

I agree- it would be hard for Furman/Wofford to ever generate the heat that exists between Citadel/Furman. Although the Furman and Wofford are much closer together, we have much more in common (private, originally denomination-supported;well, except for that color purple- http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/yuk.gif) than Furman and Citadel

do. There's just something about Upstate vs. Low Country; denominational vs military; and long-term SoCon membership that fuels that fire and seems to

make for a natural rivalry.

Given that, it's time to get Wofford/Furman back on a competitive footing, and I think it's time for that corner to be turned.:thumbsup:

UAalum72
February 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Bottom line is that almost all of the traditional NYS rivalries have been consigned to the dustbin of history.
At Division I, yes. At D-III, there are big crowds for the Cortaca Jug (SUNY-Cortland vs. Ithaca College) and RPI still plays Union for the Dutchman's Shoes. Union leads 77-23-4 since 1886. (Union says it's 79-21-4, Rennselaer says Union used ringers in a couple of games)

Gil Dobie
February 16th, 2007, 08:16 AM
until we start playing the Sue again

If and when UND is competitive in FCS ;)

MplsBison
February 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM

No need to lie just because you hate UND.

NDSU/UND is the main attraction.

I'm sure the DAC teams have some good ones for small schools.

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I agree- it would be hard for Furman/Wofford to ever generate the heat that exists between Citadel/Furman. Although the Furman and Wofford are much closer together, we have much more in common (private, originally denomination-supported;well, except for that color purple- http://gprime.net/board/images/smilies/yuk.gif) than Furman and Citadel

do. There's just something about Upstate vs. Low Country; denominational vs military; and long-term SoCon membership that fuels that fire and seems to

make for a natural rivalry.

Given that, it's time to get Wofford/Furman back on a competitive footing, and I think it's time for that corner to be turned.:thumbsup:

You are speaking of purple - the color of royalty:nod:

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 08:29 AM
You are speaking of purple - the color of royalty:nod:

Or wine, you 'Ol proud member of the AGS Wine and Cheese crowd.

http://www.winetalk.com/forum/images/smilies/party35.gif

CSUBUCDAD
February 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Definately USC vs Clemson at the top, then I would have to say with the climate of the last two meetings the CSU vs Coastal game. In high school ball, the biggest rivalry in the state has got to be between Stratford and Summerville.

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Definately USC vs Clemson at the top, then I would have to say with the climate of the last two meetings the CSU vs Coastal game. In high school ball, the biggest rivalry in the state has got to be between Stratford and Summerville.

When the CCU students poke your pirates eyes out ( literally) you can claim number 2:rolleyes:

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Or wine, you 'Ol proud member of the AGS Wine and Cheese crowd.

http://www.winetalk.com/forum/images/smilies/party35.gif

:D

Where do you find those emoticons:confused:

Cobblestone
February 16th, 2007, 08:49 AM
This is easy since we only have one....

URI vs. Brown

citdog
February 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM
When the CCU students poke your pirates eyes out ( literally) you can claim number 2:rolleyes:

That was just a rumor!:smiley_wi

89Hen
February 16th, 2007, 08:58 AM
Maryland is really devoid of any rivalry in football. Maryland and Navy had some history and heated games back in the 60's but they didn't play again until 2005 and I don't think they have any more games scheduled yet.

Towson-Morgan for the battle of Baltimore, but I don't think it's a real rivalry, Andy?

There is an odd rivalry between Navy and St. John's in croquet. No S. :eyebrow:

http://www.mauicroquetclub.org/news/2004/NavyBowsToStJohns.htm

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM
That was just a rumor!:smiley_wi

And a vicious one at that:eek:

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 09:00 AM
:D

Where do you find those emoticons:confused:

Check your PM-;)

citdog
February 16th, 2007, 09:02 AM
And a vicious one at that:eek:

Geez you kill one horse and you're a villian! xlolx :nod:

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Geez you kill one horse and you're a villian! xlolx :nod:

You guys qualified for that description long before the demise of one of our equestrian mascots:nod:

:D :D :D

citdog
February 16th, 2007, 09:13 AM
We got something for the purple hurricane this year! Remember the second half of last years game? ALOT more of that!

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 09:18 AM
We got something for the purple hurricane this year! Remember the second half of last years game? ALOT more of that!

Ah! The sounds of autumn! :argue:

citdog
February 16th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Is it STILL only Feb?:bawling:

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Ah! The sounds of autumn! :argue:

Yes I am smelling a little BS in the air too:)

citdog
February 16th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I think it's more than likely HS!xlolx

OL FU
February 16th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I think it's more than likely HS!xlolx:p :D

WYOBISONMAN
February 16th, 2007, 09:32 AM
In North Dakota it will always be NDSU v. und. Even if we don't play them (as has been the case in the past several years) the rivalry is mean, nasty and as intense as ever. When that game against the sioux finally comes.....it will be a hell of a sporting event with many ugly emotions and penned up hate boiling to the surface. You won't want to miss it.

Sir William
February 16th, 2007, 09:33 AM
WE HATE FURMAN! With their lilly white horse and their red dirt and their King James Version and their well mostly because they beat us! :bawling:

Believe me...speaking as an alum, Furman has all but eliminated KJV Bibles from their curriculum, as well as New King James, New American Standard, English Standard. NIV, etc. Once a Christian school, espousing Christian principles, Furman (though it remains a high-quality academic institution) is anything but genuinely "Christian". It's a shame, but it's the truth.

Still, I love the Paladins when they take the field.

spelunker64
February 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM
In North Dakota it will always be NDSU v. und. Even if we don't play them (as has been the case in the past several years) the rivalry is mean, nasty and as intense as ever. When that game against the sioux finally comes.....it will be a hell of a sporting event with many ugly emotions and penned up hate boiling to the surface. You won't want to miss it.

There will be arrests, possibly deaths involved. That's a whole-lot of pent-up emotions. :nod:

Sir William
February 16th, 2007, 09:35 AM

I graciously have to disagree with my fellow Paladin. Wofford is getting to be a bigger and bigger rivalry. Prior to kickoff, I'm more stressed out about them than I am the Citadel.

ChadWC
February 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Georgia-Georgia Tech
Georgia-Georgia Southern
Valdosta-Lowndes(high school game dubbed the "Winnersville Classic" that draws roughly 15-18 K fans). I'm sure any casual football fan in the southeast has heard of Valdosta High School.
Taking a crack at the DII games.
Valdosta St.-Ft. Valley St.
Valdosta St.-West Georgia

Tribe4SF
February 16th, 2007, 09:38 AM
In Virginia there are plenty.

UVA - VaTech
W&M - Richmond (I-64 Bowl / South's oldest rivalry)
Hampton - Norfolk State (Battle of the Bay)
JMU - W&M (un-named, but rising fast)
Va State - Va Union
W&M - VMI (ancient, but one-sided lately)
JMU - Richmond
CNU - Bridgewater (developing between the state's two best D-IIIs)
Hampden-Sydney - Randolph Macon

lizrdgizrd
February 16th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I think my previous NC folks forget the rivalry that is NCSU vs ECU. I know a lot of folks love this game! It's the cow farmers vs the pig farmers! Who will win?!?! xlolx

I'd say that at one time the ASU - WF rivalry was pretty good. Too bad they're scared to play us now. :(

MplsBison
February 16th, 2007, 09:56 AM
ECU is a med school, no?

Peems
February 16th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Bobcat in NC already stated the obvious and no reason to post it.

But this is the rivalry between THE two schools in the state.

Cat/Griz
Tech/Carroll(NAIA, lame i know)

lizrdgizrd
February 16th, 2007, 10:01 AM
ECU is a med school, no?
ECU has a medical school, yes.

Go...gate
February 16th, 2007, 10:39 AM
At Division I, yes. At D-III, there are big crowds for the Cortaca Jug (SUNY-Cortland vs. Ithaca College) and RPI still plays Union for the Dutchman's Shoes. Union leads 77-23-4 since 1886. (Union says it's 79-21-4, Rennselaer says Union used ringers in a couple of games)

That is perfectly legal in a rivalry game. It's gotta be in the NCAA rulebook someplace...:smiley_wi

MplsBison
February 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM
ECU has a medical school, yes.

Ok, so why would you call them farmers?

Seems like they're the flagship of the non Charlotte/Winston/Raleigh part of the state.

Exactly in the same way that Texas Tech is the flagship for the non SA/Austin/Dallas/Houston part of that state.

SU Jag
February 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I would love to see them move up, especially if we stay in FCS football. They did spank our butts at our place the last time we played, but it has been a good rivalry in the past. It would rank near the bottom of your list.

What about getting Troy again?

lizrdgizrd
February 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Ok, so why would you call them farmers?

Seems like they're the flagship of the non Charlotte/Winston/Raleigh part of the state.

Exactly in the same way that Texas Tech is the flagship for the non SA/Austin/Dallas/Houston part of that state.
The eastern part of NC (where ECU is located) has many pig farms. The reason the Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes have a pig as a mascot is because of the influence of those same pig farmers. They are a fine institution but it is much funnier to envision pig farmers battling cow farmers on the football field than farmers and doctors. :rolleyes:

GoldandBlack
February 16th, 2007, 11:18 AM
The eastern part of NC (where ECU is located) has many pig farms. The reason the Stanley Cup Champion Carolina Hurricanes have a pig as a mascot is because of the influence of those same pig farmers. They are a fine institution but it is much funnier to envision pig farmers battling cow farmers on the football field than farmers and doctors. :rolleyes:

That is unusual about eastern NC- I once worked with a fella from the Wilmington area- easily made in six figures, and his hobby was pig farming.

I could never get over that...........

Maroons
February 16th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Kentucky

1) Louisville v. Kentucky (Governor's Cup Game or something)
2) Eastern v. Western (Battle of the Bluegrass)
3) Eastern v. Murray

Two that are on life-support because they haven't been played in forever:
Eastern v. Morehead
Western v. Murray (Battle for the Red Belt)

gokats85
February 16th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I'll give it a shot with Texas, it all depends on your loyalty around here.

1. Texas A&M vs. Texas (Far and away #1 in the state)
2. Texas Tech vs. Texas A&M
3. Texas vs. Texas Tech
4. Baylor vs. Texas
5. SMU vs. TCU
6. Rice vs. Houston
7. Texas A&M vs. Baylor
8. Prairie View A&M vs. Texas Southern (gets a lot of hype in the media)
9. Sam Houston State vs. Stephen F. Austin State
10. Sam Houston State vs. Texas State-San Marcos
11. Texas State-San Marcos vs. Stephen F. Austin State

There's so many more DII & DIII rivalries to list. Once again, this is just my view on this. The last four are interchangable, depending on your preference. Between football and barbecue in Texas, you could have a debate that goes on forever!

Cocky
February 16th, 2007, 05:19 PM
What about getting Troy again?

We will have to move up. I don't see JSU going only to Troy. The only other way would be for Troy to do a home and home (they might) or a neutral site. Troy will not be moving back to FCS unless someone makes them.

The Gadfly
February 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM
South Carolina v Clemson
Winthrop v Coastal (basketball) - bring a weapon
PC v Newberry (Battle for the Bronze Derby) : smh :
El Cid v Furman
Coastal v Chuck South (Sinners v Saints)
Citadel v Chuck South (Chucktown Throwdown)
Citadel v Wofford (I've seen fist fights breakout)
Furman v Wofford
South Carolina v El Cid :thumbsup:
SC State v Coastal
Northwestern v Rock Hill
Conway v Myrtle Beach
Summerville v Stratford
Spring Valley v Richland NE
Gafney v Byrnes

cowbellnation
February 16th, 2007, 06:40 PM
in south dakota its the STATE vs. yote game. dead animals be a flyin'

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 16th, 2007, 09:11 PM
If we're talking all sports then the Big Five series might give Lehigh-Lafayette a run for the money in Pennsylvania.

EKU05
February 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Kentucky

1) Louisville v. Kentucky (Governor's Cup Game or something)
2) Eastern v. Western (Battle of the Bluegrass)
3) Eastern v. Murray

Two that are on life-support because they haven't been played in forever:
Eastern v. Morehead
Western v. Murray (Battle for the Red Belt)

I'm a big Louisville fan in my non-FCS life, but do you really think the "Governer's Cup" is better than the "Battle of the Bluegrass." I don't. It gets more attention, but that alone does not a rivalry make, IMO.

I agree with putting Eastern vs. Murray ahead of the both directional vs. MSU rivalries...EKU vs. Murray is the only two charter OVC schools that still play OVC football, not to mention that they are located in the same state. That one should be played for some kind of trophy.

ngineer
February 16th, 2007, 11:08 PM
If we're talking all sports then the Big Five series might give Lehigh-Lafayette a run for the money in Pennsylvania.

Not really...Yes, certain Big 5 games that get some neat crowds at the Palestra--but only when the teams are very good. Some great showdowns over the years between 'nova and St. Joes/Penn etc....BUT, you don't find the high level of intensity every year REGARDLESS of team records as you do in the L-L series.:nod:

MplsBison
February 17th, 2007, 11:58 AM
it is much funnier to envision pig farmers battling cow farmers on the football field than farmers and doctors.

I actually think it would be great to have a crazy doctor as your mascot.

....hand me my scalpel.....

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM
No in-"district" rivalry games in DC. Howard and Georgetown have never met.

BrevardMountaineer03
February 17th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Carolina - Dook: Basketball
Carolina - NC State: All
Carolina - Dook: Everything but basketball
Carolina - Dook - Wake Forest - NC State: Circle jerk
East Carolina - Anybody: Anything
ASU - WCU: Football
ASU - Davidson: Basketball
ASU - UNC-G: Basketball

That sounds about right!

SU Jag
February 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM
We will have to move up. I don't see JSU going only to Troy. The only other way would be for Troy to do a home and home (they might) or a neutral site. Troy will not be moving back to FCS unless someone makes them.

To bad that you guys dont play anymore, hopefully we'll see you guys play UNA again!

UNHcats
February 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM
UNH vs DARTMOUTH.....dartmouth usually stands a chance NOT

Cocky
February 17th, 2007, 09:50 PM
To bad that you guys dont play anymore, hopefully we'll see you guys play UNA again!

I've heard we are playing Alabama State this year. If so it will be the first time in 30-40 years. It has been too long for two universities a little over 2 hours apart in the same state.

I Bleed Purple
February 17th, 2007, 11:33 PM
1. BYU-Utah
2. Utah-BYU

Known as "THE HOLY WAR."

3. Utah-Utah State

4. Weber State-SUU

I hesitate in even putting this one, as it really isn't a rivalry. 300 miles tempers any real animosity

bjtheflamesfan
February 18th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I think you can put Liberty-VMI as a football rivalry in VA (I still get goosebumps remembering the game in 2003)

citdog
February 18th, 2007, 02:27 AM
VMI already has a rival!:thumbsup:

bjtheflamesfan
February 18th, 2007, 07:49 AM
This thread was titled Rank the Rivalry games in your state if Im not mistaken. I don't doubt that VMI and El Cid are rivals (and probably absolutely loathe each other)

BisonBacker
February 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Let me see.....

1.NDSU vs UND

Pretty tough for that to be a rivalry when the games no longer happen xidiotx

BisonBacker
February 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Read my previous post:thumbsup:

BisonBacker
February 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
in south dakota its the STATE vs. yote game. dead animals be a flyin'
That's really classy :nono:

MplsBison
February 18th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Pretty tough for that to be a rivalry when the games no longer happen

Even though they haven't played since 2003, it's still the best rivalry in the state!

BisonBacker
February 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Even though they haven't played since 2003, it's still the best rivalry in the state!
Just answer this, for a rivalry to exist is not a game in some type of sport necessary or do you consider the constant bickering and smackfest on message boards a rivalry because that's as close to it for now as you can get. xidiotx

Thundar
February 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM
:hurray: :hurray:

MplsBison
February 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM
do you consider the constant bickering and smackfest on message boards a rivalry because that's as close to it for now as you can get.

Indeed....for now.

Sept 1st 2007, here we come! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

JohnStOnge
February 18th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Here in Louisiana ...

1. Southern/Grambling .... nothing more needs to be said
2. Northwestern State/McNeese State .... SLC title usually at stake
3. LSU/Tulane .... not much of a series as TU hasn't been a force in decades

The SLC schools in the state (SLU, McNeese State, Northwestern State and Nicholls State) all have pretty good rivalries that are getting better each season.

A good series gone to the wayside (i.e. crapper)
Louisiana Tech/UL Monroe .... Techies are high and mighty in WAC and want nothing to do with Slug Belt

I agree with the first two but, in football anyway, I think it's gotten to the point where LSU/Tulane wouldn't be in the third spot. I think all of the Southland pairings involving McNeese, Northwestern State, Nicholls State, and Southeastern Louisiana are now bigger rivalries.

Since you're a SELA fan, I'll say that I think Southeastern has become a "get 'em" game for McNeese because of what happened in 2004 and 2005. Plus the Lions smack pretty much. Their players provide a lot of bulletin board material.

I live in Baton Rouge and, when it comes to baseball, there's a rivalry with Tulane. But Football? I don't see LSU fans excited about playing Tulane at all. It's comparable to playing ULL.

OL FU
February 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
South Carolina v Clemson
El Cid v Furman
Furman v Wofford
SC State v Coastal
Northwestern v Rock Hill
Conway v Myrtle Beach
Summerville v Stratford
Gafney v Byrnes

PC and Newberry is such a strong rivalry they are not going to play it next year:rolleyes:

henfan
February 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
The discussion about in-state rivalries has this Delawarean envious.: smh :

GannonFan
February 19th, 2007, 11:15 AM
The discussion about in-state rivalries has this Delawarean envious.: smh :

Nah, we've had plenty of good rivalries with the nova's, Temple's, and Lehigh's of the world - it's not as if we are devoid of rivalries.

henfan
February 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Nah, we've had plenty of good rivalries with the nova's, Temple's, and Lehigh's of the world - it's not as if we are devoid of rivalries.

Yup, and a good many schools have a heated out of state rival or two as well as an in-state rival. No reason you can't have both. Topic of this thread is in-state rivalries, however...

Fresno St. Alum
February 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
In California:

FBS:
USC vs UCLA
Cal vs Stanford

FCS:
Cal Poly vs UC Davis
UC Davis vs Sac State

Hey CP, after Stanford/Cal it's probably De La Salle and Long Beach Poly :thumbsup:

Fresno St. Alum
February 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM
hen fan, just put 1. Delaware vs Delaware St. we can pretend that you guys play.

letsgopards04
February 20th, 2007, 08:33 AM
In Pennsylvania it's a no-brainer--this coming November for the 143rd time Lafayette versus Lehigh! Can't really think of anything else that comes close. Penn State-Pitt doesn't exist anymore...

Easton-Phillipsburg on Thanksgiving Day is the biggest rivalry (it is HS however) at least in eastern PA. They put more in Fisher Stadium than L/L and they have to shut down US-22 over the Delaware.

Dabnus Brickey
February 20th, 2007, 08:39 AM
South Carolina v Clemson
El Cid v Furman
Furman v Wofford
SC State v Coastal
Northwestern v Rock Hill
Conway v Myrtle Beach
Summerville v Stratford
Gafney v Byrnes

Rock Hill vs. Northwestern is much bigger than CSU vs. Citadel. It draws more people than most of the games on this list except for South Carolina/Clemson. As a matter of fact, Conway vs. Myrtle Beach might be bigger than the combined attendance of all CSU home games. But, Conway vs. Myrtle Beach is the smallest of all the high school games listed.

Bulldog87
February 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Rock Hill vs. Northwestern is much bigger than CSU vs. Citadel. It draws more people than most of the games on this list except for South Carolina/Clemson. As a matter of fact, Conway vs. Myrtle Beach might be bigger than the combined attendance of all CSU home games. But, Conway vs. Myrtle Beach is the smallest of all the high school games listed.The new SC rivalry will be USC vs SCSU after we beat them at the "Chicken Coop" come September.:beerchug:

Demon Fan
February 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=JohnStOnge]I agree with the first two but, in football anyway, I think it's gotten to the point where LSU/Tulane wouldn't be in the third spot. I think all of the Southland pairings involving McNeese, Northwestern State, Nicholls State, and Southeastern Louisiana are now bigger rivalries.

Since you're a SELA fan, I'll say that I think Southeastern has become a "get 'em" game for McNeese because of what happened in 2004 and 2005. Plus the Lions smack pretty much. Their players provide a lot of bulletin board material.

I live in Baton Rouge and, when it comes to baseball, there's a rivalry with Tulane. But Football? I don't see LSU fans excited about playing Tulane at all. It's comparable to playing ULL.[/QUOTE

I would have to agree totally. In fact, I would put the SLU vs. Nicholls State rivalry at number 3. They play for a trophy (large bell) and the schools are only a few hours drive away from each other.

OL FU
February 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM
The new SC rivalry will be USC vs SCSU after we beat them at the "Chicken Coop" come September.:beerchug:

No, they will just stop playing you like they did us:smiley_wi

lizrdgizrd
February 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
The new SC rivalry will be USC vs SCSU after we beat them at the "Chicken Coop" come September.:beerchug:
Go Bulldogs! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: Got nothin' but hate for the 'Cocks. :mad:

HIU 93
February 20th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Rock Hill vs. Northwestern is much bigger than CSU vs. Citadel.

Small world. I used to date a girl who went to Northwestern. I went to that game with her when we were both in college, and would tend to agree with you on this one.

Seat16Demon
February 20th, 2007, 10:52 AM
[/QUOTE]I would have to agree totally. In fact, I would put the SLU vs. Nicholls State rivalry at number 3. They play for a trophy (large bell) and the schools are only a few hours drive away from each other.[/QUOTE]

I would agree with the LA rankings you guys have put forth. The only thing to consider adding is the 'Battle of the Sun Belt bottom-feeders.' When UooLA-LA plays U-LaMb, the contest is a heated battle to see who will stay out of the cellar.
:smiley_wi

Bulldog87
February 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM
No, they will just stop playing you like they did us:smiley_wi You're probably right. If we win that means that we'll never see the $250,000 payday again. I wonder if our administration is hoping for a 17-14 last second loss so we can get invited back again.:)

CID1990
March 18th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I wish the College of Charleston would start playing football. They could use the Burke High School stadium for their home games, and I wouldn't have to change my tailgate location.

It would be easy to hate them more than Furman or Wofford. In fact, I already do.

Bearkatpresident
March 18th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Jesus, I don't think I can answer this correctly. Texas is a big freaking state!

Let's see....

1. Texas VS Texas A&M
2. Sam Houston State University VS Stephen F. Austin, I rank this one pretty high because (I'm a Bearkat) and the historical implications of this rivalry. I mean, you walk into the Texas Capitol and who do you see? Houston and Austin. This rivalry was written in the stars.
3. Tech VS A&M/UT - Both rank about the same.
4. (tie)
5. Sam Houston State University VS Texas State University - San Marcos

I'm leaving out a ton I know, I'm just not familar with every team in Texas.

TxState_GO_CATS!
March 18th, 2007, 05:03 PM
1. UT vs. A&M
2. Tech vs. A&M
3. Tech vs. UT
4. SHS vs. SFA
5. Texas State vs. SHS
6. TxSt. vs. SFA

or somethin like that...

blackfordpu
March 18th, 2007, 05:12 PM
1. UT vs. A&M
2. Tech vs. A&M
3. Tech vs. UT
4. SHS vs. SFA
5. Texas State vs. SHS
6. TxSt. vs. SFA

or somethin like that...

Does UH not have a big rivalry?

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Does UH not have a big rivalry?

UH's AD said that the school has no business losing to Rice...seems they lose to Rice more than enough...

Also, TCU vs SMU is a bit of a rivalry...

carney2
March 18th, 2007, 09:03 PM

Although I agree with you about what is far and away the number one Pennsylvania college football rivalry, I have this feeling that neither you nor I are 100% impartial here. I therefore throw out the following:

PENN STATE - PITT: Although they no longer play on a regular basis, this game creeps on to the schedule often enough for it to still rekindle some old memories. Unfortunately, it is now a one-sided rivalry. The Pitt fans - both of them - still care very deeply about this game when it happens. The Penn State fans, on the other hand, see it as a tune up for Michigan and Ohio State.

PENN - VILLANOVA: I don't think that this is a full fledged rivalry yet, but the Philadelphia newspapers keep banging the drum, trying to make it more important each year.

D-II RIVALRIES: I confess to not having much information in this area, but I believe that some rivalries exist among the 14 Pennsylvania State Universitues (not to be confused with Penn State which is THE Pennsylvania State University, or Pitt/Temple which are "state related). I would bet that everyone loves to beat Slippery Rock, IUP and West Chester.

D-III RIVALRIES: There are a lot of D-III programs in Pennsylvania, and many of thenm have long established rivalries. Two in eastern PA that come to mind are Moravian vs. Muhlenberg and Kings vs. Wilkes. There are a few in the west too where they play a decent brand of football.

Eyes of Old Main
March 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM
I wish the College of Charleston would start playing football.

It would be easy to hate them more than Furman or Wofford. In fact, I already do.

I'm for that. Let's tell them to add football, or get out!

Bearkatpresident
March 19th, 2007, 12:23 AM
If Lamar added football, that would be a great rivalry. Historicly speaking, Lamar and Houston REALLY REALLY REALLY didn't like each other. And we're already basketbal rivals.

Sonic98
September 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I don't know if how high I would rank Jackson State vs Alcorn or Mississippi Valley but both games brings bring 10's of thousands in attendance.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Pennsylvania,
1. Lehigh-Lafayette
2. Penn State - Pitt
3. The Big 5, it's hard to pick out which games are bigger and who is bigger rivals but i would say,
A. St. Joe's - Villanova
B. St. Joe's - Temple

dgreco
September 11th, 2008, 02:19 PM
This is easy since we only have one....

URI vs. Brown

soon to be 3. hopefully! xnodx

I would actually say the biggest rivalry is between La Salle, St. Rays, Hendricken, and East Providence. I think La Salle v Hendricken is #1, but all 4 are good matchups. I would bet state title games would draw more than the brown/uri games some years.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 11th, 2008, 02:37 PM
We would have to go down to the High School level in little ol' Delaware. ;)

The Cats
September 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
WE HATE EVERYONE.......

Fixed it fer ya......

citdog
September 11th, 2008, 02:40 PM
PUSSYCATS IN PARTICULAR

THE DRIVE FOR FIVE!

813Jag
September 11th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Florida State/Florida
Florida State/Miami
Florida A&M/Bethune Cookman
UCF/USF (a rivalry in Orlando, not so much in Tampa, plus it's dead now)
FIU/FAU

Florida/Miami don't play enough for a rivalry.

Big Dawg
September 11th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Florida State/Florida
Florida State/Miami
Florida A&M/Bethune Cookman
UCF/USF (a rivalry in Orlando, not so much in Tampa, plus it's dead now)
FIU/FAU

Florida/Miami don't play enough for a rivalry.

I agree...however I think that OT game agianst UCF may have sparked that game a little bit.

The Cats
September 11th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Georgia-Georgia Southern

I'm sure this is news to UGA. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

813Jag
September 11th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I agree...however I think that OT game agianst UCF may have sparked that game a little bit.
But over here people don't care (at least Coach Leavitt doesn't), the atmosphere at Ray J for the two games (I was at both) was absolutely crazy. I wish the series would continue. I'm not a huge USF fan but spending my birthday watching 64-12 (or whatever it was) was a blast.

UCABEARS75
September 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Interesting thread, in particular for Arkansas:

UofA has a policy of not playing any in-state teams in any sport.

ASU will not play us or anyone other than UofA (see above) in football.

Our old rivalry with Arkansas Tech was pretty heated for 90 years or so (only 45 miles apart on I-40) until we made move from D-II to D-Iaa so therefore winner is:

Henderson vs. Ouachita; across the street from each other in Arkadelphia Arkansas. Can get pretty wild, even dangerous.

Teams dress at home and walk to the other stadium when away.

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Since St. Bonaventure, Canisus, Niagara, St. John's and others have dropped football, and since Syracuse-Colgate, Syracuse-Army, Syracuse-Cornell, Fordham-NYU and Fordham-Syracuse (all rivalries which began at the end of the 19th century) are all no more, along with Hofstra-C.W. Post, a great old small college rivalry, let's see what's left in New York State on a yearly basis:

Iona-Marist
Wagner-Stony Brook
Albany-Stony Brook
Albany-Wagner
Hofstra- ??
Buffalo- ?? (they play Syracuse, Colgate infrequently and AIR, played Hofstra once or twice in the 1990's (Hofstra fans, please correct me if I am mistaken)

I would put Hofstra-Stonybrook- always a good draw in football, basketball and lacrosse. Local media plays it as the Battle of Long Island.

elon77
September 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
This thread was titled Rank the Rivalry games in your state if Im not mistaken. I don't doubt that VMI and El Cid are rivals (and probably absolutely loathe each other)

Isn't VMI The Citadels northern division?

mrklean
September 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM
UGA vs. GA. Tech: klean ole fashion HATE!!
Georgia Southern VS. UGA: Big Brother vs. Little Brother
Albany State vs. Ft. Valley: HATE HATE and more HATE!!!
Morehouse College vs. Morris Brown College: I big game back in the day
West Georgia vs. Valdosta State: good DII game

Uncle Buck
September 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Buffalo- ?? (they play Syracuse, Colgate infrequently and AIR, played Hofstra once or twice in the 1990's (Hofstra fans, please correct me if I am mistaken)...

Yeah, we whacked'em up a few times xthumbsupx

Hofstra vs. CW Post was always big because of the proximity, but that was finished in 1990 i believe. HU vs Stony Brook is maybe the next big one for us, again with proximity and all. We did have some good tilts with Fordham back in the day

furman94
September 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM
1) Clemscum versus Cocks
2) ///
3) ///
4)Furman vs The Citadel
5)Furman vs Wofford
6) PC vs Newberry
7)Furman vs PC (kinda sometimes)
8)CCU vs CSU (not much history)

Seawolf97
September 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, we whacked'em up a few times xthumbsupx

Hofstra vs. CW Post was always big because of the proximity, but that was finished in 1990 i believe. HU vs Stony Brook is maybe the next big one for us, again with proximity and all. We did have some good tilts with Fordham back in the day

Our lacrosse game this past May drew nearly 6000 at Stony Brook (Spelling) on a Tuesday night. Im willing to bet we get 6 or 7 thousand for game on the 26thxnodx

RabidRabbit
September 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM

States Bisonator, not Territories xlolx xlolx xlolx

In SOUTH DAKOTA (only)
1. SDSU vs USD
2. SDSU vs Augie
3. USD vs Augie
then down it sinks.

Games vs Augie will be no more.

SDSU vs USD - It'll be awhile, especially in FB.

But during the NCC days...xsmashx xsmashx xsmashx xsmashx xsplatx xsplatx xbandwagonx xbandwagonx xazzx xazzx xspankx xspankx xarguex xarguex

danefan
September 11th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Iona-Marist
Wagner-Stony Brook
Albany-Stony Brook
Albany-Wagner
Hofstra- ??

If you expand beyond DI you'll get some great NYS rivalries.
Cortica Jug...Ithaca/Cortland. They can get huge crowds (15,000+) for a DIII game.

bjtheflamesfan
September 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
In Virginia there are plenty.

UVA - VaTech
W&M - Richmond (I-64 Bowl / South's oldest rivalry)
Hampton - Norfolk State (Battle of the Bay)
JMU - W&M (un-named, but rising fast)
Va State - Va Union
W&M - VMI (ancient, but one-sided lately)
JMU - Richmond
CNU - Bridgewater (developing between the state's two best D-IIIs)
Hampden-Sydney - Randolph Macon

Id readily add Liberty-VMI to that one and even Liberty-W&M (which Id like to see renewed within the next 5 years frankly)

93henfan
September 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Uh, UD-DSU.

Yep, that's it! It's a long-running, competitive, storied rivalry.xwhistlex

Screamin_Eagle174
September 11th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Other than the famed Apple cup between UW and WSU, there aren't really any big rivalries in WA. There's D-II WWU and CWU, but I'm not sure how competitive that one is. Outside of football, in recent years the WSU-Gonzaga matchup in basketball has been pretty intense, with both teams being nationally ranked at the time.

UNCBears2010
September 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Football-wise there's only really two to speak of in Colorado, and they're not all that close to one another in importance, it goes:

1. Colorado-Colorado State
2. Colorado State-Air Force

If you include other sports, the list looks like this:

1. Colorado-Colorado State (football)
2. Denver-Colorado College (hockey)
3. Colorado State-Northern Colorado (basketball)
4. Colorado State-Air Force (football)

But CU-CSU football and DU-CC hockey are really way above anything else.

WileECoyote06
September 11th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Football only
1. North Carolina vs Duke
2. NCSU vs UNC
3. ECU vs NCSU
4. NCA&T vs NCCU
5. WCU vs ASU
6. WSSU vs NC A & T
7. Shaw vs St. Aug
8. WSSU vs NCCU
9. NCSU vs Wake (this used to be a great rivalry; I wonder why no-one speaks of it in those terms anymore)

Redwyn
September 11th, 2008, 05:01 PM
For New York, it really depends on which sport. For example, the big three of New York ice hockey (RPI vs. Cornell vs. Colgate) is a massive, bloodthirsty affair. In rowing, the Ivies and upstate schools (notably Syracuse, a founding member of the IRA with Harvard, Yale, etc..) keep many interschool rivalries alive and well.

In football....a true rivalry is a bit of a rarer commodity. Army's the only military academy with a DI team in the state (and is just plain bad at the level it plays at), and many of the other schools shy away from rivalries within New York. But regardless here are my bunch:
Cornell vs. Columbia - Always a big game to decide who is "New York's Ivy". Wins the #1 ranking because of sheer age.
Stony Brook vs. Hofstra - Long Island's new rivalry. Beginning to heat up as Stony Brook gains more prestige academically and athletically actually poses a threat to Hofstra. Long way to go before this matchup is even close to a back and forth affair.
Stony Brook vs. Albany - This one's losing steam since Stony Brook left the NEC. This is the first year I can remember when Albany's not on the schedule, and I doubt they'll come back for a bit
SUNY Maritime vs. USMMA - Don't know much about this one, but they're both DIII teams that seem to hate each other in every way.
Syracuse vs. Buffalo - Not really a rivalry, but more of a potential matchup in the future. Buffalo has been the I-A stomping ground, but seems to have picked things up a good deal in the last year or two. An alternative is Stony Brook vs. Buffalo, which will happen for the first time in two or three years (forgot if we play Army or Buffalo in 2010).

danefan
September 11th, 2008, 05:12 PM
For New York, it really depends on which sport. For example, the big three of New York ice hockey (RPI vs. Cornell vs. Colgate) is a massive, bloodthirsty affair. In rowing, the Ivies and upstate schools (notably Syracuse, a founding member of the IRA with Harvard, Yale, etc..) keep many interschool rivalries alive and well.

In football....a true rivalry is a bit of a rarer commodity. Army's the only military academy with a DI team in the state (and is just plain bad at the level it plays at), and many of the other schools shy away from rivalries within New York. But regardless here are my bunch:
Cornell vs. Columbia - Always a big game to decide who is "New York's Ivy". Wins the #1 ranking because of sheer age.
Stony Brook vs. Hofstra - Long Island's new rivalry. Beginning to heat up as Stony Brook gains more prestige academically and athletically actually poses a threat to Hofstra. Long way to go before this matchup is even close to a back and forth affair.
Stony Brook vs. Albany - This one's losing steam since Stony Brook left the NEC. This is the first year I can remember when Albany's not on the schedule, and I doubt they'll come back for a bit
SUNY Maritime vs. USMMA - Don't know much about this one, but they're both DIII teams that seem to hate each other in every way.
Syracuse vs. Buffalo - Not really a rivalry, but more of a potential matchup in the future. Buffalo has been the I-A stomping ground, but seems to have picked things up a good deal in the last year or two. An alternative is Stony Brook vs. Buffalo, which will happen for the first time in two or three years (forgot if we play Army or Buffalo in 2010).

Biggest NYS football rivalry has got to be Ithaca-Cortland.
http://www.cortlandfootball.com/ithaca%20015.jpg

Standing Room only crowd at a regular season DIII game is not normal in the northeast. Called the "Biggest Little Game in the Nation" by Sports Illustrated.

Gil Dobie
September 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
North Dakota is Fargo vs Grand Forks in anything
then
Western North Dakota vs Eastern North Dakota

No really big college rivalries exist right now. xeyebrowx

brownbear
September 11th, 2008, 06:22 PM
soon to be 3. hopefully! xnodx

I would actually say the biggest rivalry is between La Salle, St. Rays, Hendricken, and East Providence. I think La Salle v Hendricken is #1, but all 4 are good matchups. I would bet state title games would draw more than the brown/uri games some years.

Hopefully either Brown or URI can get Bryant on their schedules, or Salve Regina will have to beef up their program to make some more in-state rivalries.

There's also Providence College games against URI and Brown in basketball, and PC and Brown in hockey, but the Governor's Cup is currently the only in-state football rivalry.

Cobblestone
September 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hopefully either Brown or URI can get Bryant on their schedules, or Salve Regina will have to beef up their program to make some more in-state rivalries.
There's also Providence College games against URI and Brown in basketball, and PC and Brown in hockey, but the Governor's Cup is currently the only in-state football rivalry.

That would take a lot of beefing up since they are D-III. I'd love to see them move up to FCS though. It'd be great to have 4 FCS teams in RI, provided they can all play each other.

Sonic98
September 12th, 2008, 04:17 AM
I think the JAckson State vs Alcorn State game is pretty big. The two cities are not that far from each other, and it can attract as many people as Ole Miss vs MS State. And it's always the last game of the season for both teams, so it's an anticipated match-up each season.

andy7171
September 12th, 2008, 07:16 AM
Maryand and Navy only play once every 50 years or so. xrolleyesx

Towson vs Morgan State - the biggest in state rivalry absolutely no one cares about! xnonono2x

Actually being serious, Johns Hopkins vs McDaniel (Formerly Western Maryland College) is a pretty heated D.III game.

dgreco
September 12th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Bryant has been successful in scheduling Brown, URI and PC in everything but basketball. Obviously they cant in football just yet, but URI was the only Basketball team not to schedule. All other sports all 4 teams are playing each other I think.

SRU would be nice, but like cobble said they are DIII and to small to ever move up I Think. It would be cool if RWU added football at the DIII level and we would have that DIII rivalry.

dgreco
September 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Maryand and Navy only play once every 50 years or so. xrolleyesx

Towson vs Morgan State - the biggest in state rivalry absolutely no one cares about! xnonono2x

Actually being serious, Johns Hopkins vs McDaniel (Formerly Western Maryland College) is a pretty heated D.III game.

I had the joy to attend McDaniel for about a month and the only thing they hate more than the name change from WMC to McDaniel is JHU :D

wkuhillhound
September 12th, 2008, 11:28 AM
In Kentucky,

1) Kentucky/Louisville-basketball
2) WKU/EKU-football oldest rivalry in the state
3) Murray State/EKU-OVC rivals

brownbear
September 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I was joking on the Salve Regina part, but it would be cool to have more FCS teams in RI.

I really wish Brown played an eleventh game, so we could get some interesting matchups with other FCS teams. Right now, we have 3 non-conference games, one is URI and another is Holy Cross every year, and we're playing Stony Brook for the next four years, so no new opponents after this year for a while.

UNIFanSince1983
September 12th, 2008, 12:20 PM
In Iowa we got one major rivalry and then a few minor ones:

1)Iowa vs. ISU (All Sports)
2)Wartburg vs. Luther
3)Loras vs UD
4)Coe vs Cornell

The last three of those are of course D-III rivalries, but they are intense as I would know because I went to Coe for a couple of years.

I would like to think UNI is catching up with Iowa and ISU in everything, but football and wrestling. In fact UNI probably is better in most sports except football, basketball, and wrestling.

A new rivalry that should be good is UNI vs Drake in Basketball. Could be a football rivalry, but we have spanked them the last 3 or so times we have played them.

Millwoch
September 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM

1) Carolina-Clemson
2) No-one comes close
3) Furman-Citadel

1) Georgia-Georgia Tech
2) empty
3) empty

We used to have Newberry vs PC...but that came to an end when PC moved to FCS

andy7171
September 12th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I had the joy to attend McDaniel for about a month and the only thing they hate more than the name change from WMC to McDaniel is JHU :D

They are in the same conference I think. I know guys on boths sides of that rivalry. Its real. xnodx

WMC had the coolest nickname, the GREEN TERRORS. Not sure if they kept it after the name change to McDaniel.

dgreco
September 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
They are in the same conference I think. I know guys on boths sides of that rivalry. Its real. xnodx

WMC had the coolest nickname, the GREEN TERRORS. Not sure if they kept it after the name change to McDaniel.

They are both in the Centennial. Their oldest rivalry is actually Gettysburg, and I think it may be a better one, but for instate yes MC and JHU. They are still the Green Terror. They have a nice facility for DIII because of the Ravens summer camps. Nice scoreboard, field turf etc...

dgreco
September 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I was joking on the Salve Regina part, but it would be cool to have more FCS teams in RI.

I really wish Brown played an eleventh game, so we could get some interesting matchups with other FCS teams. Right now, we have 3 non-conference games, one is URI and another is Holy Cross every year, and we're playing Stony Brook for the next four years, so no new opponents after this year for a while.

I was a little down about the 10 game Ivy schedule, because it put Bryant out of the loop for at least 5 years including this one. I hope URI adds Bryant next year or the following year.

I always hear the rumblings about the Bryant/Brown hate when they were both on College Hill I would like to see the old timers come out and bring the hate back.

crunifan
September 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
In Iowa we got one major rivalry and then a few minor ones:

1)Iowa vs. ISU (All Sports)
2)Wartburg vs. Luther
3)Loras vs UD
4)Coe vs Cornell

The last three of those are of course D-III rivalries, but they are intense as I would know because I went to Coe for a couple of years.

I would like to think UNI is catching up with Iowa and ISU in everything, but football and wrestling. In fact UNI probably is better in most sports except football, basketball, and wrestling.

A new rivalry that should be good is UNI vs Drake in Basketball. Could be a football rivalry, but we have spanked them the last 3 or so times we have played them.

Have you forgotten that in the past five years UNI is 6-4 over Iowa and Iowa State in men's basketball, with one loss at home, two wins on the road, and one win over a top #15 ranked Hawkeye team (ranked #12)?

Plus, considering Iowa and Iowa State's current levels, I would say we are at least even with the two.