PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Wofford hiring Pitt Defensive Coordinator Josh Conklin as new head coach

Reign of Terrier
January 1st, 2018, 09:05 PM
I don't know how I feel about this. He seems like the kind of guy who will move on after a couple years. His defenses weren't spectacular at Pitt either.

It's awkward because there are a handful of coaches on staff who had coached at Wofford longer than he has and had done so before his first stint at Wofford (2007-2009(?))

But if we win we win so whatever.

UpstateBison
January 1st, 2018, 09:28 PM
Wofford needs to stay within the current coaching staff. They need to be able to recruit to Wofford standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
January 1st, 2018, 09:34 PM
Meh, I don't think recruiting is as much of a problem as people think.

I'm more concerned about our assistant coaches.

Reign of Terrier
January 1st, 2018, 09:55 PM
Not a rumor, now confirmed. Conklin is the guy.

dewey
January 2nd, 2018, 08:02 AM
Not a rumor, now confirmed. Conklin is the guy.

Do you have any idea on why any of the assistants were not given the job?

Is the new guy going to change the offense?

Dewey

Bisonator
January 2nd, 2018, 08:05 AM
I'm a bit surprised by this hire. Thought for sure one of the assistants would have the first shot. Is this going to be a complete staff overhaul?

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2018, 08:26 AM
I'm a bit surprised by this hire. Thought for sure one of the assistants would have the first shot. Is this going to be a complete staff overhaul?

I noted this on the other thread, but Wofford hired a defensive coordinator in his mid-30s to run the program when they already had a defensive coordinator in his mid-30s already on the staff.

Seems like if you are going to go with a young outside guy and want to keep the staff intact, you would target a young offensive coach.

walliver
January 2nd, 2018, 09:38 AM
I am excited by this. Conklin would not have been my first choice but he has a number of things going for him. He has coached under Ayers, but also has been left the farm to see the big city. Our current core group of coaches have, to a great extent, never coached anywhere besides Wofford. A little fresh blood will help.

App has had success with a guy who left and returned ... as has Furman.

As for defense, most of out assistant coach move-ups have been defensive coaches. 2 of our last 3 DC's are now coaching in FBS. I have always had the impression that Mike Ayers was the defensive guy and Wade Lang the offensive guy. If WL stays, I doubt our offense changes much, except we may go for it on fourth down deep in our own territory a little less often. Also, our last 2 DC's have been unable to slow down Samford's offense so hopefully some fresh eyes can add some insight.

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2018, 10:24 AM
I am excited by this. Conklin would not have been my first choice but he has a number of things going for him. He has coached under Ayers, but also has been left the farm to see the big city. Our current core group of coaches have, to a great extent, never coached anywhere besides Wofford. A little fresh blood will help.

App has had success with a guy who left and returned ... as has Furman.

As for defense, most of out assistant coach move-ups have been defensive coaches. 2 of our last 3 DC's are now coaching in FBS. I have always had the impression that Mike Ayers was the defensive guy and Wade Lang the offensive guy. If WL stays, I doubt our offense changes much, except we may go for it on fourth down deep in our own territory a little less often. Also, our last 2 DC's have been unable to slow down Samford's offense so hopefully some fresh eyes can add some insight.

I mean, this is not the same as Furman and App's hires. Both of those programs hired former players that were long-time assistants. Conklin has no connection to Wofford other than as a short time as an assistant ten years ago. So, yes, a former coach but not necessarily apples to apples.

I don't disagree that an outside hire will be useful. My only point is that I find it peculiar to hire a young defensive guy when your top defensive coach is essentially already that.

Actually - and I am totally speculating - this hire feels like Wofford is preparing for Shiel Wood to depart. If rumors are true, and Nate Woody is going to be the DC at Georgia Tech, I can see App State plucking Wood from Wofford.

FUGameBreaker
January 2nd, 2018, 11:20 AM
Read some Pitt fans reactions, they say they "won't miss him" and some feel he was on his way out the door anyway, not very glowing reviews by there fan base for sure.

FUBeAR
January 2nd, 2018, 05:00 PM
Conklin has no connection to Wofford other than as a short time as an assistant ten years ago.

Actually - looks like Coach Conklin picked up a strong connection to Woffy during his 1st stint with the RatDogs - his wife. Coach Conklin's Brother-in-Law and Father-in-Law are both former PorchYapper Players and Mrs. Conklin's brother was Asst. AD for Development at Woffy until 2015. He was a graduate of Dorman High in Roebuck, SC - just south of SparkleCity, so it would stand to reason that Mrs. Conklin is also a native of the area and is, effectively, coming home. I have found from working for over 20 years in the Human Capital space that maternal families are a VERY strong 'relocation magnet.' I would say this is similar to the attraction that led Randy Sanders to ETSU, but maybe even stronger. My bet is that IF he does well enough, he'll hang around at Woffy for a while.

FUBeAR
January 2nd, 2018, 05:02 PM
Read some Pitt fans reactions, they say they "won't miss him" and some feel he was on his way out the door anyway, not very glowing reviews by there fan base for sure.

Also similar to the Randy Sanders situation at FSU. (See previous post)

FUBeAR
January 2nd, 2018, 05:07 PM
1 more comment on this hire...

The thing that would trouble me if I were a Wofford Fan is the lack of public endorsement/support for the hire from Coach Ayers. I know he recommended Coach Lang, but once the decision was made, I'm (almost) sure they would have sought his endorsement for Coach Conklin. Instead, they have posted quotes from the Head Coach at Pitt and the former Head Coaches from FIU and (SoCon rival) The Citadel. Both Coach Conklin and Woffy's AD cited Coach Ayers and his legacy in their quoted comments, but, interestingly (to me), President Samhat did not.

I would imagine the loyalty on Woffy's staff to Coach Ayers is quite strong; so how this all plays out with staff retention (if Coach Conklin, et al desire retention) could be interesting.

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2018, 09:27 PM
I'm sticking with my Sheil Wood hypothesis.

App State DC Nate Woody heading to GT. Scot Sloan, the App State Co-DC/DB coach, has been hired at Georgia Southern. That leaves ASU with a need for a DC, linebackers coach, and DB coach.

Wofford fans are circulating on their site that Greg Gasparato is likely heading to Boone, ostensibly to fill a linebackers coach void left by Woody.

Just makes sense to me that App would also try to pluck Wood, who is a Woody protege, runs the same defense, and can step into their need for a defensive backs coach.

It's the offseason, and I could be wrong, but I suspect that the reason Wofford hired a young defensive-minded head coach is because they are about to lose a some of their defensive staff.

ngineer
January 2nd, 2018, 10:10 PM
Actually - looks like Coach Conklin picked up a strong connection to Woffy during his 1st stint with the RatDogs - his wife. Coach Conklin's Brother-in-Law and Father-in-Law are both former PorchYapper Players and Mrs. Conklin's brother was Asst. AD for Development at Woffy until 2015. He was a graduate of Dorman High in Roebuck, SC - just south of SparkleCity, so it would stand to reason that Mrs. Conklin is also a native of the area and is, effectively, coming home. I have found from working for over 20 years in the Human Capital space that maternal families are a VERY strong 'relocation magnet.' I would say this is similar to the attraction that led Randy Sanders to ETSU, but maybe even stronger. My bet is that IF he does well enough, he'll hang around at Woffy for a while.

Pretty good sleuthing and 'sniffing'. Seems like Wofford coaching selection was 'skirting' the issue! xsmiley_wix

Reign of Terrier
January 2nd, 2018, 10:25 PM
I mean, this is not the same as Furman and App's hires. Both of those programs hired former players that were long-time assistants. Conklin has no connection to Wofford other than as a short time as an assistant ten years ago. So, yes, a former coach but not necessarily apples to apples.

I don't disagree that an outside hire will be useful. My only point is that I find it peculiar to hire a young defensive guy when your top defensive coach is essentially already that.

Actually - and I am totally speculating - this hire feels like Wofford is preparing for Shiel Wood to depart. If rumors are true, and Nate Woody is going to be the DC at Georgia Tech, I can see App State plucking Wood from Wofford.

I wouldn't be surprised by any departures we hear about.

The thing is, I'm already hearing Gasparato and Riase leaving which sucks.

but with Wood, I don't see him leaving. His dad is one of the deans of the college and he's just now back at Wofford after taking a leave due to the fact that he wasn't making enough money. I think his wife is a doctor in Spartanburg. Before he left, I'm pretty sure he wasn't a defensive coach, so he still has a lot to learn. Conklin has more contiguous experience coaching defense in more schemes. Ideally, Wood will learn from him.

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2018, 04:40 AM
I wouldn't be surprised by any departures we hear about.

The thing is, I'm already hearing Gasparato and Riase leaving which sucks.

but with Wood, I don't see him leaving. His dad is one of the deans of the college and he's just now back at Wofford after taking a leave due to the fact that he wasn't making enough money. I think his wife is a doctor in Spartanburg. Before he left, I'm pretty sure he wasn't a defensive coach, so he still has a lot to learn. Conklin has more contiguous experience coaching defense in more schemes. Ideally, Wood will learn from him.

I, of course, have no inside knowledge, it just seems like these moves are paving the way for something like that to happen.

I don’t know why, but the timing of all of this seems strange to me. I suppose when I envisioned Ayers retiring it was going to be announced well in advance and the Terriers were already going to have his handpicked successor in the program, which seems fairly typical for the career coaches at one institution.

Instead it feels like there was an impromptu press conference, an interim tag placed on a long time assistant, and then Wofford becomes one of (if not the) last D1 programs in the country to name a head coach. All of this seems strange to me out of a program that prides itself on consistency.

It will be interesting to see what sort of changes Conklin makes to the staff. What isn’t ideal is to give the head coaching reigns to someone and dictate that he must do things a certain way (this has long been Georgia Southern’s problem with coaches). Maybe Conklin isn’t an option guy. Maybe he wants a different defensive system.

walliver
January 3rd, 2018, 09:02 AM
I had heard rumors from the Summer that this was his last year, and with the college's "30 year" promotions, I had assumed it was common knowledge. Apparently, Mike Ayers was very old school about this and didn't want the public attention of a "farewell tour" and only told two people, both of them sworn to secrecy. It seems the AD and President were not among that group. MA is not active on Social Media, so his lack of response to this is not unexpected. It is clear, that MA hoped his long-time assistant and next-door-neighbor, Wade Lang, would get the job.

As for coaching turnover, changes on the defense have been fairly common. Our last four DC's have been internal promotions. One is still active as of today, one is DC at App(GT?), and one is DC at Georgia State. (The other quit for family reasons.) Defensive position coaches have also moved on to larger programs. Mike Ayers was a defensive coach before becoming HC and provided much of the defensive continuity. On the other hand, there has been very little movement on the offensive side. Our OC has been there almost forever, and being in his mid-to-late 50's, isn't looking for retirement for another 10-15 years. Despite the near complete absence of advancement potential, most position coaches have stayed. To some extent this has been due to loyalty to MA, and there may eventually be some movement on the offensive side.

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2018, 09:12 AM
I had heard rumors from the Summer that this was his last year, and with the college's "30 year" promotions, I had assumed it was common knowledge. Apparently, Mike Ayers was very old school about this and didn't want the public attention of a "farewell tour" and only told two people, both of them sworn to secrecy. It seems the AD and President were not among that group. MA is not active on Social Media, so his lack of response to this is not unexpected. It is clear, that MA hoped his long-time assistant and next-door-neighbor, Wade Lang, would get the job.

As for coaching turnover, changes on the defense have been fairly common. Our last four DC's have been internal promotions. One is still active as of today, one is DC at App(GT?), and one is DC at Georgia State. (The other quit for family reasons.) Defensive position coaches have also moved on to larger programs. Mike Ayers was a defensive coach before becoming HC and provided much of the defensive continuity. On the other hand, there has been very little movement on the offensive side. Our OC has been there almost forever, and being in his mid-to-late 50's, isn't looking for retirement for another 10-15 years. Despite the near complete absence of advancement potential, most position coaches have stayed. To some extent this has been due to loyalty to MA, and there may eventually be some movement on the offensive side.

On the offensive side, is it more that other programs are wary of Wofford's offense? I am inclined to think most Wofford fans are not even all that excited about their offensive system. It's like they are caught somewhere between the spread and flexbone option and aren't really committed to either.

walliver
January 3rd, 2018, 10:27 AM
There isn't much demand for Flex coaches, but since we run about 50-60% read option, the position coaches would still attract interest from other programs.

Reign of Terrier
January 3rd, 2018, 11:41 AM
I am not excited about our offense.

Press conference today at 1 (20 minutes from now) to announce the hire. I hope we learn more than just the boiler plate stuff we've learned via press releases.

walliver
January 3rd, 2018, 01:08 PM
The press conference hinted that the existing staff is being retained.
I suspect if any significant offensive changes come about, it will be after next season.
The only real new thing we learned was that he met his wife after the Richmond Playoff loss.

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2018, 01:25 PM
I suspect if any significant offensive changes come about, it will be after next season.
The only real new thing we learned was that he met his wife after the Richmond Playoff loss.

According to Shanesy, it appears Conklin is going to "evaluate" things and would like to keep the staff together if they want to stay.

Realistically, it's probably too late in the off season to do a lot of changing on either side of the ball.

Reign of Terrier
January 3rd, 2018, 03:50 PM
It sounds like we are evolving out of the option. Terriervision posted on youtube an interview with Conklin and he said this about our offense and defense (i'm too lazy to post it but it's easy to find):

1) We are keeping the multiple 50 defense

2) that he's attracted to the option but he wants to open it up to take us to the next level.

To me, that says we're going to move away from the option, because he didn't assert the same amount of certainty behind keeping the option as he did the defense.

Overall, I think I like the move (I'm an option skeptical guy). As Paladinfan has said in prior posts, there's just no point in ditching the 3-4 at this level (unless you're JMU or NDSU) because there's just not enough big DL to do it well. If we're going to move from the option we have to do it slowly. He mentioned something about having/not having a QB that can run it. So, it makes sense if you're Wofford to do this. You have to go with your personnel.

I'm officially excited for the Josh Conklin era here at Woffordxthumbsupx

FUBeAR
January 3rd, 2018, 03:55 PM

Was Coach Ayers present? Any sign of endorsement of Coach Conklin and/or support for the decision from Coach Ayers yet?

You know how most of us OLD FU guys think...No hires outside of the Coach Art Baker 'tree' in almost 50 years - Baker, Sheridan, Satterfield, Johnson, Lamb, Fowler, Hendrix.

Johnson, Fowler, and Hendrix were not on the preceding staff when hired, but Johnson was a 'direct descendant,' having served on the FU Staff under Coach Baker and had been at FU 15 of the 18 seasons prior to becoming Head Coach. Fowler and Hendrix were FU Players, with Fowler also 'direct,' having played 1 year under Baker, and both he and Hendrix were LONG-term FU Coaches prior to returning as Head Coach. I believe all these hires have been 'blessed' by Coach Baker and/or Coach Sheridan. While not all have attained the success Paladin Fans would have liked, I am a strong believer that the continuity and the general conviviality of the transitions have been highly beneficial to the Football Program and to the University.

I suppose it may not matter all that much in terms of W's & L's, but with Wofford having such continuity over the past 30 years, it just doesn't 'feel right' to this outsider if Coach Ayers doesn't support the hire. Not a Wofford Fan (of course), but as an FCS Football Fan, I hope that he does or soon will. I like 'feel good' stories and this one doesn't...yet.

Reign of Terrier
January 3rd, 2018, 03:58 PM
It sounds like we're making the institutional decision to expand our horizons.

The way I think about it is that CMA was the coach to take us from NAIA to FCS but we need someone to take us to the next level.

Time will tell if Conklin is that guy, but I like what I've heard so far. He's been pretty much universally received as a great hire by Wofford fans. I'm like the most lukewarm I know, to put things in perspective.

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2018, 04:03 PM
It sounds like we are evolving out of the option. Terriervision posted on youtube an interview with Conklin and he said this about our offense and defense (i'm too lazy to post it but it's easy to find):

1) We are keeping the multiple 50 defense

2) that he's attracted to the option but he wants to open it up to take us to the next level.

To me, that says we're going to move away from the option, because he didn't assert the same amount of certainty behind keeping the option as he did the defense.

Overall, I think I like the move (I'm an option skeptical guy). As Paladinfan has said in prior posts, there's just no point in ditching the 3-4 at this level (unless you're JMU or NDSU) because there's just not enough big DL to do it well. If we're going to move from the option we have to do it slowly. He mentioned something about having/not having a QB that can run it. So, it makes sense if you're Wofford to do this. You have to go with your personnel.

I'm officially excited for the Josh Conklin era here at Woffordxthumbsupx

Of course, problematic for 2018 is Wofford's best option at QB is a 5'11 175 lbs fellow that can't throw.

FUBeAR
January 3rd, 2018, 04:19 PM
Of course, problematic for 2018 is Wofford's best option at QB is a 5'11 175 lbs fellow that can't throw.

I think this guy might can throw it a little bit - http://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5134 - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1760921/5721e8e24df6124b70340732 - HIGH SCHOOL: As a starter, was 38-4 overall and won state championships his junior and senior seasons ... Threw for 4,273 yards and 42 touchdowns

PaladinFan
January 3rd, 2018, 07:19 PM
I think this guy might can throw it a little bit - http://woffordterriers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5134 - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1760921/5721e8e24df6124b70340732 - HIGH SCHOOL: As a starter, was 38-4 overall and won state championships his junior and senior seasons ... Threw for 4,273 yards and 42 touchdowns

Ok. The third or fourth best QB on Wofford’s roster threw for a lot of yards in high school.

Reign of Terrier
January 3rd, 2018, 07:34 PM
eh he was the third string QB this year, but only because it was his first year in the program. He's going to compete for time with Joe Newman. I imagine they'll split time either way.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
January 6th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Also similar to the Randy Sanders situation at FSU. (See previous post)

Florida State lost their stud QB (Francois) during the Alabama game. Their offense was never the same as they "struggle winned" their way through the season. Then Fisher up and left for supposedly greener pastures at Texas A&M. It should be noted that Sanders was interested in the ETSU role when it first came available a few years back. I will submit to you that had ETSU hired Sanders, we would be in a mucho better place (think Kennesaw State).