PDA

View Full Version : Championship Game Ticket Prices

footballer23
December 30th, 2017, 08:30 PM
I can't be the only one that was a little take aback by the cost of tickets for this year's game. If memory serves they were only like $40 2 years ago. Anyone recall what prices were last year? Anyone have any idea why they jacked the prices up so much this year?

Bisonoline
December 30th, 2017, 09:03 PM
I can't be the only one that was a little take aback by the cost of tickets for this year's game. If memory serves they were only like $40 2 years ago. Anyone recall what prices were last year? Anyone have any idea why they jacked the prices up so much this year?

They were the same price last year due to the loss of 4000 seats because of renovation.

dewey
December 30th, 2017, 09:40 PM
They were the same price last year due to the loss of 4000 seats because of renovation.

Agreed. The tickets were about $38 in 2012 through 2016 but increased in price last year to about $87 each. This year is the same.

The renovation reduced the seating about 4000 seats from about 21000 to about 17000. About 20% decrease in seating capacity but the price of the tickets doubled.

The NCAA took advantage of the renovation and doubled the cost of the tickets.

Dewey

kdinva
January 1st, 2018, 01:41 PM
.....The renovation reduced the seating about 4000 seats from about 21000 to about 17000. About 20% decrease in seating capacity.....

...time to look for a venue with 25,000+ seats, IMO....

footballer23
January 1st, 2018, 02:04 PM
...time to look for a venue with 25,000+ seats, IMO....

I feel like the problem with that is there are not a lot of fan bases that would fill a stadium that big. If you look back at the EWU-Delaware game before NDSU's run... Toyota Stadium was half full. They'd need and NDSU, JMU, Montana, etc. type fan base every year to make that worth their while, IMO.

Professor Chaos
January 1st, 2018, 07:15 PM
I feel like the problem with that is there are not a lot of fan bases that would fill a stadium that big. If you look back at the EWU-Delaware game before NDSU's run... Toyota Stadium was half full. They'd need and NDSU, JMU, Montana, etc. type fan base every year to make that worth their while, IMO.
Is that a bad thing? I'd be fine with the game being played in a third full stadium in years where fans from neither team travel if it meant ticket prices would be reasonable in years where one or both of the fan bases travel well. Most every piddly bowl game is played in front of a stadium less than half full... there's no reason for the FCS to feel insecure about ourselves if our championship game does the same from time to time.

In any case, I'd wager that you'll have more years where demand outweighs an 18-19k Toyota Stadium than where it doesn't. So far that's been the case in 7 of 8 years that the game has been in Frisco.

Southern Bison
January 1st, 2018, 08:02 PM
I feel like the problem with that is there are not a lot of fan bases that would fill a stadium that big. If you look back at the EWU-Delaware game before NDSU's run... Toyota Stadium was half full. They'd need and NDSU, JMU, Montana, etc. type fan base every year to make that worth their while, IMO.Take a look at how many FBS bowl games had attendance above 50% of stadium capacity. Most bowl games have been pathetically attended this season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Derby City Duke
January 2nd, 2018, 01:40 AM

Put the championship somewhere where you can build the crowd, not keep folks who want to attend out through outrageous prices. Flashseats tickets asking prices range from $170 to $2,100 as of this post. That's insane and obscene. Higher capacity and lower prices generally lead to better attendance. I think the championship needs to move out of Frisco. Yes, Dallas is an easy destination and the Frisco Chamber of Commerce is pretty good, but we're playing a major championship in a soccer stadium. Think about that for a minute.

FCS needs a city with a stadium that seats 28 - 32K. Heck, have it at Lucas Oil and sell the 100s and 200s (lower bowl). In high demand years, sell the upper level in the end zone in front of the big plate glass windows.

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2018, 06:31 AM
Put the championship somewhere where you can build the crowd, not keep folks who want to attend out through outrageous prices. Flashseats tickets asking prices range from $170 to $2,100 as of this post. That's insane and obscene. Higher capacity and lower prices generally lead to better attendance. I think the championship needs to move out of Frisco. Yes, Dallas is an easy destination and the Frisco Chamber of Commerce is pretty good, but we're playing a major championship in a soccer stadium. Think about that for a minute.

FCS needs a city with a stadium that seats 28 - 32K. Heck, have it at Lucas Oil and sell the 100s and 200s (lower bowl). In high demand years, sell the upper level in the end zone in front of the big plate glass windows.

(1) No one is going to spend the money to rent an NFL venue to only sell half or less of the stadium.

(2) These two fanbases are the biggest traveling groups in the FCS. Literally if this game involved any other FCS team there would not be a problem. You don't make wholesale changes just to appease two schools.

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 2nd, 2018, 07:06 AM
(1) No one is going to spend the money to rent an NFL venue to only sell half or less of the stadium.

(2) These two fanbases are the biggest traveling groups in the FCS. Literally if this game involved any other FCS team there would not be a problem. You don't make wholesale changes just to appease two schools.

You don't need to "rent an NFL venue" but a little bigger facility would not hurt. The picture someone posted of the potential Nashville site was really nice and bigger capacity.

cx500d
January 2nd, 2018, 08:34 AM

"Celebration" Bowl does that.....

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2018, 08:53 AM
"Celebration" Bowl does that.....

HBCU games are a different animal. Last season HBCUs had 7 of the top 16 in average attendance. The Celebration Bowl can probably easily project their attendance each year.

The FCS championship will likely involve smaller schools with smaller fan bases. There are perhaps only three or four universities in the FCS that are going to travel well enough to fill out a neutral venue.

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2018, 08:59 AM

Disagree. 7 out of 8 years so far demand has exceeded capacity in Frisco. Last year may have an asterisk next to it because if they had the extra 3-4k capacity that they'll have this year and going forward that may have not been the case but every year that NDSU has been in the game there's been tickets going for much higher than face value on the secondary markets. This year has been the worst though.

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2018, 09:05 AM
Disagree. 7 out of 8 years so far demand has exceeded capacity in Frisco. Last year may have an asterisk next to it because if they had the extra 3-4k capacity that they'll have this year and going forward that may have not been the case but every year that NDSU has been in the game there's been tickets going for much higher than face value on the secondary markets. This year has been the worst though.

Tickets right now for the FBS national title game featuring UGA/Bama in Atlanta are going 2k for the nosebleeds. People are going to shell out insane money to see that football game.

It is supply and demand. You don't get a bigger stadium simply because demand is high.

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2018, 09:11 AM
Tickets right now for the FBS national title game featuring UGA/Bama in Atlanta are going 2k for the nosebleeds. People are going to shell out insane money to see that football game.

It is supply and demand. You don't get a bigger stadium simply because demand is high.
That's an apples to oranges comparison. If they had an option to play it in a much bigger stadium they would. You don't get much bigger than Mercedes-Benz Stadium. They're also not using the "well, what if it's Washington St and Vanderbilt playing in the national title game" argument against moving it to a venue with more capacity.

We don't really know who bids on the FCS title game so it's tough to rake the NCAA over the coals if their options are limited but you'd think that secondary market ticket prices since the game has been in Frisco would open some eyes around the country on the type of money that could be made on this game by venues in the 25-30k capacity range.

PaladinFan
January 2nd, 2018, 09:29 AM
That's an apples to oranges comparison. If they had an option to play it in a much bigger stadium they would. You don't get much bigger than Mercedes-Benz Stadium. They're also not using the "well, what if it's Washington St and Vanderbilt playing in the national title game" argument against moving it to a venue with more capacity.

We don't really know who bids on the FCS title game so it's tough to rake the NCAA over the coals if their options are limited but you'd think that secondary market ticket prices since the game has been in Frisco would open some eyes around the country on the type of money that could be made on this game by venues in the 25-30k capacity range.

I don't disagree with that general point. If the stadium does not meet needs, the location should be moved.

The overwhelming majority of FCS title games have been around 20k in attendance. There are a few outliers, such as when Marshall played in their home stadium 4 times in the mid-90s or southern schools had to play in the pacific northwest in the mid-80s.

Ideally, you'd like a park that could hold 25k in a desirable location where weather is not going to necessarily play a huge factor. My general point was that it does not make a lot of sense to try and lease a major sporting venue when attendance could be drastically altered depending on which teams make the finals.

BadlandsGrizFan
January 2nd, 2018, 10:18 AM

Not true, both Montana schools would bring this many fans. I think South Dakota State would also.

There are a few fanbases that could fill the stadium. But like someone has already mentioned, the game being played in Frisco has for the most part and years been a great success. Why change a good thing? Also when the renovation is done, the game will be even more impressive.

BadlandsGrizFan
January 2nd, 2018, 10:21 AM
Also, if you guys think the EDC and city leaders in Frisco are going to let this championship game go, you're crazy. Frisco thrives off events like this and very few cities I know of coordinate special events like Frisco does. The city has its **** together and are playing at a whole different level than most.

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2018, 11:01 AM
Not true, both Montana schools would bring this many fans. I think South Dakota State would also.

There are a few fanbases that could fill the stadium. But like someone has already mentioned, the game being played in Frisco has for the most part and years been a great success. Why change a good thing? Also when the renovation is done, the game will be even more impressive.
I agree that there are more fan bases than just NDSU and JMU that could brink 10k fans to the game if tickets were available. In addition to who you mentioned I'd say some of the better drawing nearby SLC schools would as well like McNeese and SFA. SHSU even brought close to 10k in 2011 and that was with competing against NDSU fans in their first go round trying to snag championship tickets. I'm also pretty sure JSU would've brought 10k or more in 2015 if they could've got tickets.

I really do like Frisco, they do a great job hosting and I doubt anyone who's actually gone to the game would disagree. The problem is the venue is just a bit too small and the renovations are only going to exacerbate that since it actually reduces capacity.

jmufan999
January 2nd, 2018, 12:33 PM
I really do like Frisco, they do a great job hosting and I doubt anyone who's actually gone to the game would disagree. The problem is the venue is just a bit too small and the renovations are only going to exacerbate that since it actually reduces capacity.

agreed, i thought Frisco was going to suck but it was a really fun place. two biggest issues i have are a.) the field is garbage, unless you enjoy watching both times slip and slide all over the place, and b.) the PA announcer has the whiniest, most shrill/irritating voice you've ever heard. it's a really bad sound system, so add that to the irritating announcer and it's like nails on a chalkboard.

PurpleStreamers
January 2nd, 2018, 01:06 PM

But the fact Georgia is in it for the first time in this era and the game is in Atlanta is also skewing things even at the FBS level. The fact Atlanta is essentially Alabama's hometown from an alum standpoint only adds to this. The game is basically in the city where the largest moneyed portion of both teams fanbases is located plus has huge weatlhy-casual fan interest. If this was USC/Michigan for example, it'd be big but not this big. Perfect storm at both levels this year.

Still, Toyota Stadium is hot garbage.

jsualumnus
January 2nd, 2018, 04:06 PM
Frisco is a great place to have it, and the city does put a lot into the event. It’s a great getaway for anyone wanting to see their team play with plenty to do. I just don’t like the announcer and the cheesiness he brings. My $.02! Good luck to both the Dukes and the Bison!!!

Professor Chaos
January 2nd, 2018, 04:26 PM
Frisco is a great place to have it, and the city does put a lot into the event. It’s a great getaway for anyone wanting to see their team play with plenty to do. I just don’t like the announcer and the cheesiness he brings. My $.02! Good luck to both the Dukes and the Bison!!!
He could also turn his volume down a tick or twelve. It was really loud for the NDSU/JSU game... worse than I recall it being in previous years.

Derby City Duke
January 2nd, 2018, 06:23 PM

Not really advocating for an NFL stadium, just the need for somebody look seriously at growing the event beyond a 17,000 seat soccer stadium. The 'go big or go home' cliche has merit here -- if you're not trying to grow the game/event, then you're ok with whatever happens.

The impetus for the change however must come from the member schools/presidents/ADs. They need to push for a larger venue that is football-compatible in terms of its video capability.

I'm with Professor Chaos here -- the new Nashville facility looks promising. That's close driving distance for me; I would go every year and make it an event as opposed to spending all my energy getting there and back without the enjoyment that should accompany a game like this one. Provided the docs cooperate and I could get there each year, I'd even figure out how to set up a hub for AGS folks to congregate during the weekend...

As to the true size of our travelling fan base, I think 2 years might be too small of a sample size from which to draw conclusions. We benefitted quite a bit from YSU's complete hosing of its own fans.

TennBison
January 2nd, 2018, 07:07 PM
Location probably plays a part, it is as close to dead even going east to west and it is far enough down south that snow should not be a factor. Frisco is a perfect location geographically. Move it to far to the east or the west, and some people just will not go due to it being to far. Face it, if it was not for either JMU or NDSU or in case of this year both, the size of the stadium would not be an issue.

TheRevSFA
January 2nd, 2018, 07:51 PM
Not really advocating for an NFL stadium, just the need for somebody look seriously at growing the event beyond a 17,000 seat soccer stadium. The 'go big or go home' cliche has merit here -- if you're not trying to grow the game/event, then you're ok with whatever happens.

The impetus for the change however must come from the member schools/presidents/ADs. They need to push for a larger venue that is football-compatible in terms of its video capability.

I'm with Professor Chaos here -- the new Nashville facility looks promising. That's close driving distance for me; I would go every year and make it an event as opposed to spending all my energy getting there and back without the enjoyment that should accompany a game like this one. Provided the docs cooperate and I could get there each year, I'd even figure out how to set up a hub for AGS folks to congregate during the weekend...

As to the true size of our travelling fan base, I think 2 years might be too small of a sample size from which to draw conclusions. We benefitted quite a bit from YSU's complete hosing of its own fans.

And when you get a natty of teams whose fans don’t travel well, then you’ll say “oh move it back to a smaller stadium”. The 2010 championship game was empty.

Derby City Duke
January 2nd, 2018, 08:44 PM
And when you get a natty of teams whose fans don’t travel well, then you’ll say “oh move it back to a smaller stadium”. The 2010 championship game was empty.

I'm not sure I'd agree with this statement fully -- what I truly think the FCS cohort needs to consider is making this a truly FCS-community event. Without the $$$ that big money TV contracts bring, FCS needs support from all FCS fans and alums. I get it that not every fan base will bring loads of people if they make the championship game -- but in a place that's got capacity and fairly reasonable ticket prices you could build a brand that gets people who like good football, not just 1 of the 2 schools competing.

An East-West rotation of championship sites could be viable as long as they are comparable in capacity and ease-of-access. Not only would this help out the western FCS schools that make the finals, but it could also help build a following in that region as well.

Once we go big, I think we'd stay -- I'd much rather get a ticket at a reasonable price in a stadium at 50-60% capacity than not be able to get a ticket without paying some of the prices being asked. I would also like to be able to buy tickets without having to sit like a vulture over my computer keyboard when tickets go on sale in August...

Even with all the stuff Frisco has done very well, I think the Division I football championship game needs a better venue than Toyota Stadium.

TheRevSFA
January 2nd, 2018, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure I'd agree with this statement fully -- what I truly think the FCS cohort needs to consider is making this a truly FCS-community event. Without the $$$ that big money TV contracts bring, FCS needs support from all FCS fans and alums. I get it that not every fan base will bring loads of people if they make the championship game -- but in a place that's got capacity and fairly reasonable ticket prices you could build a brand that gets people who like good football, not just 1 of the 2 schools competing.

An East-West rotation of championship sites could be viable as long as they are comparable in capacity and ease-of-access. Not only would this help out the western FCS schools that make the finals, but it could also help build a following in that region as well.

Once we go big, I think we'd stay -- I'd much rather get a ticket at a reasonable price in a stadium at 50-60% capacity than not be able to get a ticket without paying some of the prices being asked. I would also like to be able to buy tickets without having to sit like a vulture over my computer keyboard when tickets go on sale in August...

Even with all the stuff Frisco has done very well, I think the Division I football championship game needs a better venue than Toyota Stadium.

You should actually go look at attendance YOY to see that the game doesn’t need a bigger venue. Plus, having a half empty venue is bad for appearance on TV...just look at every bowl game in December.

****, JMU and Montana only drew 16k at a bigger facility

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship

BisonFan02
January 2nd, 2018, 09:49 PM
You should actually go look at attendance YOY to see that the game doesn’t need a bigger venue. Plus, having a half empty venue is bad for appearance on TV...just look at every bowl game in December.

Frisco is a great host for the game.....not just in the venue size (yeah...could be a shade bigger, but if you want to go, you can easily get in), but the community support of the game is a big deal. You would be hard pressed to get that anywhere else in comparison.

Cocky
January 3rd, 2018, 11:50 AM
Give me a dome somewhere close to a good airport.

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2018, 11:52 AM
****, they are giving away SRO's now on the ticket sites, I am having yuge remorse over my decision not to go, ****.

Winterborn
January 3rd, 2018, 12:07 PM
****, they are giving away SRO's now on the ticket sites, I am having yuge remorse over my decision not to go, ****.

There is still time. You could always drive alone. :D

PurpleStreamers
January 3rd, 2018, 12:13 PM

Agree with your point, but that JMU/Montana game might've well have been 50 years ago from a JMU standpoint. I know I'll get crap from old players, but that '04 year was the very beginning of the JMU fanbase we have today and the Montana contingent dwarfed us.

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2018, 12:20 PM
There is still time. You could always drive alone. :DHey, I thought about it, I could have actually caught a ride with some guys heading down from Grand Forks today. Thus, it is not to be. I have been to 4 of these before, and will probably get to another one down the road.

Winterborn
January 3rd, 2018, 12:28 PM
Hey, I thought about it, I could have actually caught a ride with some guys heading down from Grand Forks today. Thus, it is not to be. I have been to 4 of these before, and will probably get to another one down the road.

Can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind too. I used to think I had better go see one as it may only happen once in my lifetime, after the fourth championship I quit worrying. There will be another one and I will get the chance to go again. It would have to be a longer trip as there are some places down there I would like to see.

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2018, 12:46 PM
Can't say the thought hasn't crossed my mind too. I used to think I had better go see one as it may only happen once in my lifetime, after the fourth championship I quit worrying. There will be another one and I will get the chance to go again. It would have to be a longer trip as there are some places down there I would like to see.The problem with scheduling a longer vacation to coincide with the game for me is that there is literally nothing I want to see in Texas, I like Texas and could actually see myself living there but it isn't exactly a hot spot unless you go to the gulf coast or something. You could go down to Twin Peaks Mesa, which is known as the "world's largest outdoor insane asylum". Some friends of mine stopped in Picher, Oklahoma on the way back from Frisco once, it is the most toxic city in the USA, they said it was actually pretty cool.

Hammerhead
January 3rd, 2018, 01:27 PM
Last time we drove to Frisco, we returned home through Arkansas and Missouri. There's something halfway interesting to see in every state.

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2018, 01:31 PM
Last time we drove to Frisco, we returned home through Arkansas and Missouri. There's something halfway interesting to see in every state.:D Not in Kansas.

gumby013
January 3rd, 2018, 05:22 PM
Last time we drove to Frisco, we returned home through Arkansas and Missouri. There's something halfway interesting to see in every state.

If you are going that route, I recommend The Beef Jerkey Outlet in Lamar, MO.

BisonFan02
January 3rd, 2018, 05:29 PM

I told ya...............

Gil Dobie
January 3rd, 2018, 05:32 PM
:D Not in Kansas.

I did stop in Dodge City, which actually was halfway interesting. Nothing to drive out of your way to see.

POD Knows
January 3rd, 2018, 05:36 PM
I did stop in Dodge City, which actually was halfway interesting. Nothing to drive out of your way to see.Unfortunately, I have been there before.

cx500d
January 3rd, 2018, 08:43 PM
I did stop in Dodge City, which actually was halfway interesting. Nothing to drive out of your way to see.

Was Marshall Dillon in town?

Bison Fan in NW MN
January 3rd, 2018, 08:51 PM

Still plenty of time to pull the trigger and head down south for #6....xnodx

PantherRob82
January 3rd, 2018, 09:19 PM

In Chattanooga (not easy to access) on short notice.

Gil Dobie
January 3rd, 2018, 09:40 PM

Boot Hill, I think.

Winterborn
January 3rd, 2018, 09:51 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIq1LvzSLsk

ALPHAGRIZ1
January 3rd, 2018, 10:14 PM

Montana wouldnt bring more than the 5-7k they did in Chattanooga. Decades ago when we were relevant.......................

There is no fan base like NDSU right now in FCS.

Hell combine 2 fan bases and you cant touch what they do.

TheKingpin28
January 3rd, 2018, 10:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIq1LvzSLskThumper, where are you? Rooters?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

tigonian02
January 4th, 2018, 12:53 AM
Hmm...a generally warmish setting for January, with 25k-ish seats...So what you're saying is that you want it back at Allen E. Paulson Stadium.