PDA

View Full Version : Haley FCS Draft Projections

Schism55
December 23rd, 2017, 01:12 AM
https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/944275801108811776

BisonTru
December 23rd, 2017, 03:05 AM
I still say Lauletta gets drafted. A good week at the Senior bowl and I think he finally stops getting ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
December 23rd, 2017, 09:41 AM
https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/944275801108811776

interestingly, ISUr Harris shut down SDSU Wieneke in our game against them; but Harris got burned several times by NAU Marks several times.

Redbird Nation fanatics turned on Harris a couple times, NAU game for one. Some of us (me for one) just do not like our pass cover schemes and techniques against stronger passing offenses. We do very well against dual threats and most offenses with just "pretty good" passing game with our schemes and techniques. But we think same will work against very good pass offenses. We leave our CBs alone on island on a lot, and we teach them to always play the man, not the ball, and try to disrupt the catch by watching receivers arms. QBs who can put ball on a dime consistently have no fear throwing to guarded receivers when they play us. This is what Richmond Lauletta did to us in playoff 2 years ago .. threw without fear to guarded receivers.

Anyway, some redbird fans are quietly stunned (and silent) about Harris still being on draft board projections - they were sure his draft stock plummeted. I hope our secondary coach notices his disconnect. Harris got left on island a lot this season and had some tough games statistically .. so maybe its the schemes, you think coach ?? I hope Spack hears this from the NFL scouts .. it's been driving Redbird fans nuts for many years.

Professor
December 26th, 2017, 11:58 AM
OL Brandon Parker from A&T should be a 3rd rounder

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=1005942&draftyear=2018&genpos=OT

Professor Chaos
December 26th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I realize it's Haley's job to write and it's tough to keep things fresh this time of year but it's really a shot in the dark to project draft positions for FCS guys in particular at this point. Due to the level of competition question these guys really make/lose their money in their postseason all-star games, NFL Combine, and school pro day.

At this point two years ago Wentz was considered a fringe first rounder but more likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder. That was partially due to the fact he was injured but the same thing can be said for Deluca this year. If his shoulder and knee check out medically and he does well at the Senior Bowl and Combine I bet he works himself up substantially higher than the 6th round. A lot still TBD with all these guys.

BisonTru
December 26th, 2017, 08:43 PM
I realize it's Haley's job to write and it's tough to keep things fresh this time of year but it's really a shot in the dark to project draft positions for FCS guys in particular at this point. Due to the level of competition question these guys really make/lose their money in their postseason all-star games, NFL Combine, and school pro day.

At this point two years ago Wentz was considered a fringe first rounder but more likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder. That was partially due to the fact he was injured but the same thing can be said for Deluca this year. If his shoulder and knee check out medically and he does well at the Senior Bowl and Combine I bet he works himself up substantially higher than the 6th round. A lot still TBD with all these guys.

JMO, Wentz was pretty high on a lot of NFL teams boards at this time during the draft process. The injury was a bit of question mark that needed to be cleared, but Wentz flying up draftnik's boards was more them catching up to where the NFL already had him.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 26th, 2017, 08:50 PM

Still looks like DeLuca is still a little slower compared to when he was 100%. If he gets back to 100% then I see him moving up. He needs to have a good combine.

Bisonwinagn
December 26th, 2017, 09:45 PM
Still looks like DeLuca is still a little slower compared to when he was 100%. If he gets back to 100% then I see him moving up. He needs to have a good combine.

I don't see him getting drafted at all. He will get a tryout, but would be surprised if he gets drafted after all the injuries.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2017, 05:17 AM
I don't see him getting drafted at all. He will get a tryout, but would be surprised if he gets drafted after all the injuries.
The injuries won't matter if he checks out ok with the doctor's for the team interested in him and he works out well at the Senior Bowl/Combine. He looked much better after just getting an extra week off to start the playoffs. Now he's got two extra weeks off before the natty and a few more weeks after that until the Senior Bowl so he'll have every opportunity possible to show he's close to or back to 100% before he goes through all the medical checkups at the combine. It's way too early to write him off.

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2017, 12:08 PM
I still say Lauletta gets drafted. A good week at the Senior bowl and I think he finally stops getting ignored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauletta should get drafted unless he tanks in Mobile. I have him as a 5th round projection but the only reason I think he gets drafted is because of the thin class. He and Silvers are two players who really should be in the East-West or NFLPA instead of Senior Bowl but there just isn't enough draftable (talent only) quarterbacks.

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2017, 12:15 PM

Medical checks are the key. If he runs a 4.9 and doesn't pass medical then he won't but if he looks good in Mobile and tests well then he definitely should and will.

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2017, 12:19 PM
JMO, Wentz was pretty high on a lot of NFL teams boards at this time during the draft process. The injury was a bit of question mark that needed to be cleared, but Wentz flying up draftnik's boards was more them catching up to where the NFL already had him.

NFL teams did not have Wentz as high as you may think. He was sitting in the 2nd round on most boards and I know many scouts who never put more than a 3rd-4th round grade on him until the national title game and Senior Bowl performances. Those final two games for him are what pushed him up, especially the Senior Bowl. The NFL Combine had a 4th-5th round projection on him as of October that year. The Senior Bowl gave him a major boost. There are some players who don't need the Senior Bowl but it sure made Wentz a lot of money. People were concerned about the injuries. He checked out fine during the medical tests and looked like a franchise QB in the Senior Bowl. I remember telling folks on here that I thought he needed a year and then he could really take off and be a good player. He surely has done that and I really thought he may end up being a Pro Bowl talent after 3-4 years and he has done it in year 2 so he might exceed the expectations of even those who liked him a lot.

BisonTru
December 27th, 2017, 01:54 PM
NFL teams did not have Wentz as high as you may think. He was sitting in the 2nd round on most boards and I know many scouts who never put more than a 3rd-4th round grade on him until the national title game and Senior Bowl performances. Those final two games for him are what pushed him up, especially the Senior Bowl. The NFL Combine had a 4th-5th round projection on him as of October that year. The Senior Bowl gave him a major boost. There are some players who don't need the Senior Bowl but it sure made Wentz a lot of money. People were concerned about the injuries. He checked out fine during the medical tests and looked like a franchise QB in the Senior Bowl. I remember telling folks on here that I thought he needed a year and then he could really take off and be a good player. He surely has done that and I really thought he may end up being a Pro Bowl talent after 3-4 years and he has done it in year 2 so he might exceed the expectations of even those who liked him a lot.

Then Kiper and McShay were well ahead of scouts. Both were mocking Wentz in the first well before the Senior bowl. I won a bet he'd be drafted top 2 rounds that I made the summer before the draft.

It's hard to say for sure, but JMHO he doesn't fall to the second round even if the draft was held before the Senior bowl and the off season stuff. I was on the Wentz wagon early but even with the ESPN guys, Mayock and Jeremiah from the nfl network were also pretty high on him as well. I just can't imagine there wouldn't be a few NFL GMs thinking the same things and would have been drooling grabbing him mid or late first.

NDSUtk
December 27th, 2017, 02:03 PM
Then Kiper and McShay were well ahead of scouts. Both were mocking Wentz in the first well before the Senior bowl. I won a bet he'd be drafted top 2 rounds that I made the summer before the draft.

It's hard to say for sure, but JMHO he doesn't fall to the second round even if the draft was held before the Senior bowl and the off season stuff. I was on the Wentz wagon early but even with the ESPN guys, Mayock and Jeremiah from the nfl network were also pretty high on him as well. I just can't imagine there wouldn't be a few NFL GMs thinking the same things and would have been drooling grabbing him mid or late first.Bet the Browns wish they would have thought like you :)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BisonTru
December 27th, 2017, 02:04 PM
Lauletta should get drafted unless he tanks in Mobile. I have him as a 5th round projection but the only reason I think he gets drafted is because of the thin class. He and Silvers are two players who really should be in the East-West or NFLPA instead of Senior Bowl but there just isn't enough draftable (talent only) quarterbacks.

I disagree. I am no NFL scout, but an avid FCS fan and I just don't see much if any gap between Jimmy Garropollo and Kyle. I'm not saying he goes that early, but I think it's a fair comp.

Wildcat1997
December 27th, 2017, 02:45 PM
SmallCollegeFBFan, anyone from Abilene Christian that is getting interest from NFL teams?

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2017, 04:30 PM

It's hard to say for sure, but JMHO he doesn't fall to the second round even if the draft was held before the Senior bowl and the off season stuff. I was on the Wentz wagon early but even with the ESPN guys, Mayock and Jeremiah from the nfl network were also pretty high on him as well. I just can't imagine there wouldn't be a few NFL GMs thinking the same things and would have been drooling grabbing him mid or late first.

They jumped the gun a little bit. I agree with you he would have gone in the first round but likely late first or maybe mid first at best. Many teams were afraid to take him high. Just look at the Browns trading down. They get flack for trading but they were not the only team who had those fears. Wentz was considered a mid round talent at the time but reached in the top 3 because QBs are always drawn up the board.

Look at all the QB busts. People tend to take a QB much higher to ensure they get one. They aren't a dime a dozen like WR or DB. He would have gone late first round but you have to remember that teams build a draft board with different rows. There are not going to be 32 players in the first round. Typically a team picking in the 25-32 range is selecting a player who was not in their first round or round one talent.

- - - Updated - - -

SmallCollegeFBFan, anyone from Abilene Christian that is getting interest from NFL teams?

The LB Gates was but he was so awful this year that I would imagine he is a tryout at best. If someone signs him they are reaching big time.

Professor Chaos
December 27th, 2017, 04:31 PM

Don't you know that Kiper and McShay are paid by agents to pump up their clients??? /EmDiggy

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2017, 04:35 PM
I disagree. I am no NFL scout, but an avid FCS fan and I just don't see much if any gap between Jimmy Garropollo and Kyle. I'm not saying he goes that early, but I think it's a fair comp.

No way he goes in the top 75 picks. He could push up into the 4-5 range but he better kill it at Mobile. If you aren't talking round projection and simply the grade I put on a player I put a 7th round grade on Lauletta and 3rd-4th grade on JG. Jimmy was a better player with a slightly stronger arm. If Kyle had the arm of Wentz he would be a 3rd rounder for sure in my mind. His arm is marginal and I view him as a 3rd string player who may become a decent second string QB. We will see how it goes but I think Lauletta is a little overrated if he goes above the 5th round. Ideally he should go in 6 or 7 but could go higher because QBs get a bump. There aren't many good ones out there. The only seniors who I think have a shot to get drafted are Lauletta, Mayfield, Rudolph, White, Ferguson, Benkert, Falk, and Linehan. Stevens, Shimonek, Woodside, and Briscoe are all true PFA talents to me but could go in 6-7 I'm sure.

smallcollegefbfan
December 27th, 2017, 04:36 PM
Don't you know that Kiper and McShay are paid by agents to pump up their clients??? /EmDiggy

There are serious rumors that they are in the pockets of certain people. I don't know that they are but I have heard those rumors a long time ago. Scouts don't really talk about those two guys. I don't know of any scouts who personally tell me they read their board. I know I don't read ESPN.com. They could have Lauletta and Briscoe in the 4th round and I would never know.

BisonTru
December 27th, 2017, 05:46 PM
They jumped the gun a little bit. I agree with you he would have gone in the first round but likely late first or maybe mid first at best. Many teams were afraid to take him high. Just look at the Browns trading down. They get flack for trading but they were not the only team who had those fears. Wentz was considered a mid round talent at the time but reached in the top 3 because QBs are always drawn up the board.

Look at all the QB busts. People tend to take a QB much higher to ensure they get one. They aren't a dime a dozen like WR or DB. He would have gone late first round but you have to remember that teams build a draft board with different rows. There are not going to be 32 players in the first round. Typically a team picking in the 25-32 range is selecting a player who was not in their first round or round one talent.

- - - Updated - - -

The LB Gates was but he was so awful this year that I would imagine he is a tryout at best. If someone signs him they are reaching big time.

Everyone points out that quarterbacks are pushed up draft boards or teams reach, but look back on it now. What team in their right mind would pass on Wentz now. I'll even give an exception for Goff and Prescott cuz they are also QBs and careers are young, but who else is going to have that kind of impact on a franchise. Take Joey Bosa, drafted shortly after Goff and Wentz. He's proving to be what everyone hoped he could, but no way in hell is someone going to mention him for MVP. Wentz is/was in that discussion and rightfully so. Even look at Stafford, Ryan, Newton, ect. I doubt any of those franchises regret taking those guys that early. There's also busts no doubt, but if you like a quarterback, you better go get him, JMHO.

Btw, go look at that Browns haul that everyone thought was a big win for them. They even hit at a pretty good rate on the picks they got. I wouldn't take all those players over a mid 20s franchise QB. Not even close.

BisonTru
December 27th, 2017, 05:55 PM
No way he goes in the top 75 picks. He could push up into the 4-5 range but he better kill it at Mobile. If you aren't talking round projection and simply the grade I put on a player I put a 7th round grade on Lauletta and 3rd-4th grade on JG. Jimmy was a better player with a slightly stronger arm. If Kyle had the arm of Wentz he would be a 3rd rounder for sure in my mind. His arm is marginal and I view him as a 3rd string player who may become a decent second string QB. We will see how it goes but I think Lauletta is a little overrated if he goes above the 5th round. Ideally he should go in 6 or 7 but could go higher because QBs get a bump. There aren't many good ones out there. The only seniors who I think have a shot to get drafted are Lauletta, Mayfield, Rudolph, White, Ferguson, Benkert, Falk, and Linehan. Stevens, Shimonek, Woodside, and Briscoe are all true PFA talents to me but could go in 6-7 I'm sure.

The area I'll agree with you is his arm is under ideal although so is Watson's IMO. Time will tell, it wouldn't surprise me if NE takes him earlier than you expect and he sits on the bench for 3 years and they trade him away for more than they drafted him for. xlolx

Off topic for FCS, but who do you like how do you rank the top Quarterbacks in this class?

Wildcat1997
December 27th, 2017, 09:21 PM

- - - Updated - - -

The LB Gates was but he was so awful this year that I would imagine he is a tryout at best. If someone signs him they are reaching big time.I respectfully disagree with you that he was awful this past season. He had 5.5 sacks with 10 TFLs and 8 QBHs. I know that isn’t anything special but it’s not awful. Plus as someone who watched every game he was our best pass rusher and got consistent pressure.

POD Knows
December 28th, 2017, 01:03 PM
There are serious rumors that they are in the pockets of certain people. I don't know that they are but I have heard those rumors a long time ago. Scouts don't really talk about those two guys. I don't know of any scouts who personally tell me they read their board. I know I don't read ESPN.com. They could have Lauletta and Briscoe in the 4th round and I would never know.What is your current opinion on PJ Hall of SHSU, he was invisible against NDSU, how much did the level, or lack thereof, of their competition inflate his draft stock. He is good, no doubt, but where would you have him in the draft.

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2017, 07:36 PM
The area I'll agree with you is his arm is under ideal although so is Watson's IMO. Time will tell, it wouldn't surprise me if NE takes him earlier than you expect and he sits on the bench for 3 years and they trade him away for more than they drafted him for. xlolx

Off topic for FCS, but who do you like how do you rank the top Quarterbacks in this class?

Let me see who all comes out first. I have not seen them all. I get assigned to break the top 10 or so down in March usually.

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2017, 07:40 PM
I respectfully disagree with you that he was awful this past season. He had 5.5 sacks with 10 TFLs and 8 QBHs. I know that isn’t anything special but it’s not awful. Plus as someone who watched every game he was our best pass rusher and got consistent pressure.

He may have had decent stats but the film was not great. Even if he had decent film I would not bring him to my club. He is likely a tryout or nothing player.

- - - Updated - - -

What is your current opinion on PJ Hall of SHSU, he was invisible against NDSU, how much did the level, or lack thereof, of their competition inflate his draft stock. He is good, no doubt, but where would you have him in the draft.

PFA who could go sneak into the late 6th or somewhere in 7th round with a freaky pro day. I hope he gets a combine invite because he flashes some good stuff but can go silent at times as well.

- - - Updated - - -

What is your current opinion on PJ Hall of SHSU, he was invisible against NDSU, how much did the level, or lack thereof, of their competition inflate his draft stock. He is good, no doubt, but where would you have him in the draft.

PFA who could go sneak into the late 6th or somewhere in 7th round with a freaky pro day. I hope he gets a combine invite because he flashes some good stuff but can go silent at times as well.

smallcollegefbfan
December 29th, 2017, 07:42 PM
Everyone points out that quarterbacks are pushed up draft boards or teams reach, but look back on it now. What team in their right mind would pass on Wentz now. I'll even give an exception for Goff and Prescott cuz they are also QBs and careers are young, but who else is going to have that kind of impact on a franchise. Take Joey Bosa, drafted shortly after Goff and Wentz. He's proving to be what everyone hoped he could, but no way in hell is someone going to mention him for MVP. Wentz is/was in that discussion and rightfully so. Even look at Stafford, Ryan, Newton, ect. I doubt any of those franchises regret taking those guys that early. There's also busts no doubt, but if you like a quarterback, you better go get him, JMHO.

Btw, go look at that Browns haul that everyone thought was a big win for them. They even hit at a pretty good rate on the picks they got. I wouldn't take all those players over a mid 20s franchise QB. Not even close.

Most QBs taken in 6-7 are PFAs who people don't want to bid on after the draft or most mid and late 1st round picks have a 2nd round grade. People always give QB a bump because it is like pitcher in baseball. You can never have enough good ones but the difference is that in MLB there are plenty of good pitchers and the NFL doesn't have enough good QBs to fill 2 roster spots for 20 teams, let alone 32. There are plenty of bad ones in the NFL.

BisonTru
December 30th, 2017, 03:34 AM
Most QBs taken in 6-7 are PFAs who people don't want to bid on after the draft or most mid and late 1st round picks have a 2nd round grade. People always give QB a bump because it is like pitcher in baseball. You can never have enough good ones but the difference is that in MLB there are plenty of good pitchers and the NFL doesn't have enough good QBs to fill 2 roster spots for 20 teams, let alone 32. There are plenty of bad ones in the NFL.

Let's flip your baseball reference around and say MLB teams only played once a week. We'd be talking about their only being 20 starting pitchers cuz the new standard would be a rockstar ace or else your team is at a big disadvantage. That's how I view QBs in the NFL. It's such an valuable position to fill or leave unadequately filled I just don't think QBs are ever overdrafted. That's why I am of the opinion, albeit I'm higher than almost anyone, that I'd take a stab at Lauletta as I see a back up QB (likely) with starting potential (unlikely, but possible).

As for sixth and seventh rounders I think you'd agree with me, it really doesn't matter the position everyone drafted or in the PFA are guys you think can make your roster. The guys you draft are the ones you feel better about. If you thought they were starters or solid backups you'd draft them earlier.

centennial
December 30th, 2017, 11:18 AM
SmallCollegeFBFan are any scouts looking at Easton Stick for next year?

Derby City Duke
December 31st, 2017, 01:18 PM
Don't think JMU will have anybody drafted; Aaron Stinnie @ LT is probably the closest to the draft board at this point but think it will take a big pro day to get to Day 3. Expect 4-6 to get UDFA looks, per usual. Best candidates for that are Alls (WR), Greene (S), Ankrah (DE), and Kloosterman (TE). Again, pro day will be their ticket to getting a shot post-draft.

LuckyKat
January 1st, 2018, 08:32 AM
Top DT Predictions
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26875&stc=1