PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette Names Athletic Director

carney2
December 22nd, 2017, 07:19 PM
Sherryta Freeman, Senior Associate Athletic Director at the University of Pennsylvania:

http://www.goleopards.com/genrel/122217aab.html

And now, perhaps The Study can be dragged out of mothballs. I suspect that the section on the Storage and Care of Leather Helmets will have to be updated.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2017, 10:15 PM
Sherryta Freeman, Senior Associate Athletic Director at the University of Pennsylvania:

And now, perhaps The Study can be dragged out of mothballs. I suspect that the section on the Storage and Care of Leather Helmets will have to be updated.

Certainly has a good background from schools with good/excellent academics and an interest in athletics. The question is how interested Laughyette is, as an institution, in athletic excellence.

Southsider
December 23rd, 2017, 06:47 AM
Very disappointed for you Pard fans. A liberal school, run by women who tout diversity and political correctness, won’t give a rats ass about winning sports programs. Don’t look for much to change. I’d love to be proven wrong!

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2017, 07:15 AM
Very disappointed for you Pard fans. A liberal school, run by women who tout diversity and political correctness, won’t give a rats ass about winning sports programs. Don’t look for much to change. I’d love to be proven wrong!

Dumb comment.

Colgate has a female AD, with a very similar background to our new AD. Lafayette does need to fix athletics but this young lady seems up to the task. She is a young up and comer and must have felt she would be getting what she needs to succeed to make the move.

Gate83
December 23rd, 2017, 08:29 AM
No question Vicky has done a great job at Gate, backed by a board & now a president very invested in athletic success. Good luck to your new AD, hope the higher ups allow her to succeed!

DFW HOYA
December 23rd, 2017, 11:24 AM

In newsrooms, they call this the Friday news dump. Why would any publicity-minded school announce a key hire on the Friday before Christmas?

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2017, 11:41 AM

Proving you wrong has become a cottage industry at Lehigh. "Back to back PL Champs"

carney2
December 23rd, 2017, 12:16 PM
Certainly has a good background from schools with good/excellent academics and an interest in athletics. The question is how interested Laughyette is, as an institution, in athletic excellence.

We'll know soon enough. The current AD reports to the school "diversity officer," a woman who began her career handing out keys to dorm rooms. If Ms. Freeman doesn't end up reporting directly to the President of the College, as at most D-1 institutions, this thing is headed for dumpster city. Must happen at some point in 2018 to be real.

Southsider
December 23rd, 2017, 03:18 PM
Proving you wrong has become a cottage industry at Lehigh. "Back to back PL Champs"

Well, if you are proud of your 5-6 champs, and getting blown out in the playoffs, I am happy for you! Knowlegeable LU fans are disgusted. LU football, and B.B. btw, are on their way to reaching parity with LC.

Go...gate
December 23rd, 2017, 07:42 PM
No question Vicky has done a great job at Gate, backed by a board & now a president very invested in athletic success. Good luck to your new AD, hope the higher ups allow her to succeed!

Agreed. Vicky Chun has done an outstanding job, light years ahead of her predecessor.

ngineer
December 23rd, 2017, 07:56 PM
Dumb comment.

Colgate has a female AD, with a very similar background to our new AD. Lafayette does need to fix athletics but this young lady seems up to the task. She is a young up and comer and must have felt she would be getting what she needs to succeed to make the move.

Agreed. LC needs a good 'jolt' to get things moving in all its athletic programs. Having dealt with the politics at the Ivy level and a lower level FBS program, I would think she comes with some decent insight as to what is needs to be done. The problem will be how accepting will the 'pards administration and faculty be?

ngineer
December 23rd, 2017, 08:00 PM
We'll know soon enough. The current AD reports to the school "diversity officer," a woman who began her career handing out keys to dorm rooms. If Ms. Freeman doesn't end up reporting directly to the President of the College, as at most D-1 institutions, this thing is headed for dumpster city. Must happen at some point in 2018 to be real.

That's insane. Sterrett was given the title of "Dean of Athletics" so he has parity with the other Deans at the school with a direct line to the President's office. Yes, if the College does not make that institutional change, there won't be any change.

Bill
December 23rd, 2017, 08:26 PM
That's insane. Sterrett was given the title of "Dean of Athletics" so he has parity with the other Deans at the school with a direct line to the President's office. Yes, if the College does not make that institutional change, there won't be any change.

couldn't agree more. I'd love to see a breakdown of reports/organizational charts. LC has to be the only D1 school with that arrangement.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2017, 10:55 PM
Why would a director of the athletics teams, which provide much of an institution's diversity, need to report to a diversity officer? Literally all the diversity officer can do for the AD is nod their head and say, "yes, your athletic department is still more diverse than the rest of our school! Keep up the good work!" every year.

cx500d
December 23rd, 2017, 11:07 PM
Why would a director of the athletics teams, which provide much of an institution's diversity, need to report to a diversity officer? Literally all the diversity officer can do for the AD is nod their head and say, "yes, your athletic department is still more diverse than the rest of our school! Keep up the good work!" every year.

That's the only smart thing you posted today.

Franks Tanks
December 24th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Good grief, diversity officer was a joke. The AD was reporting to the VP of Campus Life, which several other deans report to. It's not an ideal situation, but it's not reporting to a diversity officer.

LU808
December 24th, 2017, 11:56 AM
Too many chicks running Pard Atheltics.

RichH2
December 24th, 2017, 12:19 PM

Absolutely. The bizarre organizational tree at Lafayette militates against any change for athletics. At present the AD has no authority ir power to effectuate change. I hope the new AD, with her background in real Athletic Depts, required an assurance of change. We'll see.

LehighU11
December 24th, 2017, 05:53 PM
Good grief, diversity officer was a joke. The AD was reporting to the VP of Campus Life, which several other deans report to. It's not an ideal situation, but it's not reporting to a diversity officer.
Regardless of the title being VP of Campus Life, the fact is that she was more concerned with orchestrating a protest on game day for #152 than supporting the College's premier sporting event. That is inexcusable for an official who oversees the Athletic Department at any Division 1 institution.

The new hire for LC's AD seems like a very solid choice. I sincerely hope that the priorities on College Hill are returning to competing with the rest of the Patriot League, rather than the status quo.

JimLU
December 25th, 2017, 10:28 AM
Well, if you are proud of your 5-6 champs, and getting blown out in the playoffs, I am happy for you! Knowlegeable LU fans are disgusted. LU football, and B.B. btw, are on their way to reaching parity with LC.
5 & 6 as league champs, and getting blown out two years in a row in FCS playoffs is an indictment of Patriot League football as well as Lehigh's program.

Some have made the point that the league was more competitive before athletic scholarships...... Roster size restrictions and the "no redshirt rule", are they to blame? Or is it a coaching issue throughout the league?

Southsider, I'm with you. And God help us next year in Annapolis........