PDA

View Full Version : UNCC Approves Football Study

MYTAPPY
February 15th, 2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/16705844.htm

Hope it works out for the 49ers.

CollegeSportsInfo
February 15th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Me too. Would love to see Football in Charlotte.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I don't see why they couldn't have the same success of UAB.

rufus
February 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I like the idea of a new conference for football (maybe all sports).

JMU
Delaware
Old Dominion
App State
Charlotte
Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
UMass

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
You're assuming that UC will go FCS?

rokamortis
February 15th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Seems in everything that I've read that if football is added then UNCC plans to go FCS first and then FBS if successful. They may never go FBS.

Dane96
February 15th, 2007, 04:06 PM

JMU
Delaware
Old Dominion
App State
Charlotte
Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
UMass

I dont see UMASS doing this conference.

BearsCountry
February 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Are they going to play at the Bank of America Stadium?

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Are they going to play at the Bank of America Stadium?
I hope not for their sake. There'll be 60,000+ empty seats! :nonono2:

Mr. C
February 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I don't see why they couldn't have the same success of UAB.
Because you are talking about apples and oranges. Charlotte isn't Birmingham and UNC-Charlotte isn't UAB. Two TOTALLY different schools.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
There'll be 60,000+ empty seats!

That's what you hope happens, you mean.

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Nope, just facing facts. If you're a brand new football team who has no history AT ALL you're not going to fill a professional football stadium with fans. :nonono2:

Mr. C
February 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Why would I care what happens at UNC-Charlotte?

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Because you are talking about apples and oranges. Charlotte isn't Birmingham and UNC-Charlotte isn't UAB. Two TOTALLY different schools.

Birmingham is the commercial center of AL, Charlotte is the commercial center of NC.

UAB is a branch campus of UA and UNCC is a branch campus of UNC.

Indeed, completely different.

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Nope, just facing facts. If you're a brand new football team who has no history AT ALL you're not going to fill a professional football stadium with fans.

Of course not.

But 15k fans isn't out of the question either.

Which would mean that 60k seats wouldn't be empty.

Mountaineer
February 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM

There were empty seats at BoA stadium a couple years back when UNC and NC State played there.

So pray tell - how exactly will a new team from UNCC fill the stadium? :rolleyes:

Mountaineer
February 15th, 2007, 04:35 PM
Of course not.

Close..the stadium seats about 73,000. So 58K would be empty. :D

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 04:37 PM
http://www.greenecountymo.org/web/OEM/images/siren.gif

^
|
|
|
|

The brand new horn signaling all App fans to drop whatever they're doing immediately and sprint to the nearest terminal to defend the honor of ASU against anyone with the audacity to challenge them.

*brrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRrrrrrr rrrrrr.......rrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEERR RRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr....*

(it rotates 360 degrees to achieve maximal App signaling)

Mountaineer
February 15th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Completely wrong again dude. I think it'd be great for UNCC to add football, though I don't think they're going to blowing the socks off of most people in Charlotte.

However, since you are apparently an expert on sports in North Carolina, while those of us who live here aren't - carry on. xlolx xidiotx

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Of course not.

The seating capacity for BOFA stadium is 73,248. If they managed to get 15K in their first season then they'd still have 58,248 seats empty. Guess I shouldn't round up like that. :rolleyes:

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Close..the stadium seats about 73,000. So 58K would be empty.

Right, I'm sure the original App poster assumed that they would average 13k a game.

Mountaineer
February 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Right, I'm sure the original App poster assumed that they would average 13k a game.

Regardless of how many they draw to a game - the overwhelming majority of seats will indeed be empty.

Not exactly rocket science to come to that sort of conclusion.

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2007, 04:42 PM
I assumed they'd average maybe 10K per game. So I was generous in my 60K empty seat count. Since you know so much about UNCCharlotte, tell us all about their new program!

boonedocks
February 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
bison, Im just wondering why you are so interested in UNCC starting a football program. Also, why your so confrontational about everything. How are you such an expert on all things UNCC? No smack intended just asking

Saint3333
February 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
bison, Im just wondering why you are so interested in UNCC starting a football program. Also, why your so confrontational about everything. How are you such an expert on all things UNCC? No smack intended just asking

He's an ASU hater, let him be. Once someone like GSU or Montana gets back on top of the division and has tons of posters on here, he'll start making jabs at them too. It's a game to him, and the more responses to his comments the better in his little game. ASU fans don't feed the trollxcoffeex .

MplsBison
February 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
How are you such an expert on all things UNCC?

What have I said on this thread that would make you think such a thing?

mountain man
February 15th, 2007, 05:06 PM
They already have a spot on campus where they would build a stadium for football if necessary. Short term - Memorial Stadium in Charlotte would be a good bet since it has a 24,000 +/- capacity. For years, before Halton Arena was built the Niners BBall team played at Independence Arena.

rufus
February 15th, 2007, 06:33 PM

JMU
Delaware
Old Dominion
App State
Charlotte
Georgia Southern
Youngstown State
UMass
Nope. ;)

proasu89
February 15th, 2007, 06:50 PM
What have I said on this thread that would make you think such a thing?
He's an expert on all things NC. Remember him saying that UNCG would start a team and how we would be jealous. He can say whatever he wants, doesn't mean it will make any sense. BTW, one more FCS school in this state isn't going to make much difference when there are already 9 Div. 1 programs in the state. IMHO, it's pretty amazing what ASU has accomplished w/ so much competition for talent.:thumbsup:

Bobcat in NC
February 15th, 2007, 07:36 PM
He's an expert on all things NC. Remember him saying that UNCG would start a team and how we would be jealous. He can say whatever he wants, doesn't mean it will make any sense. BTW, one more FCS school in this state isn't going to make much difference when there are already 9 Div. 1 programs in the state. IMHO, it's pretty amazing what ASU has accomplished w/ so much competition for talent.:thumbsup:

Don't you mean 8 Division I programs and Dook? :smiley_wi

lizrdgizrd
February 15th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, but a win against them is still a DI win. I guess it's kinda like beating a PFL team. :smiley_wi

Bobcat in NC
February 15th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Yeah, but a win against them is still a DI win. I guess it's kinda like beating a PFL team. :smiley_wi

:lmao:

:thumbsup:

Mr. C
February 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I guess I should move to Minneapolis to learn more about the goings on of football in North Carolina. Our favorite Bison fan is such an expert on stuff down here.

proasu89
February 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM
don't capitalize dook:nod: dook, charlotte,& greensboro(according to mpls) can fight over what's left:D

citdog
February 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM
The post about Memorial Stadium was right on target. The Citadel and VMI played there for two years in 03-04 and it was pretty nice. Nice usuage of the wrong name for our level too! That's so 2006! Good for UNCC! Why is it necessary to spend 150k to study something that you are going to approve? Tax money at work! : smh : :bawling:

MYTAPPY
February 16th, 2007, 10:06 AM
They already have a spot on campus where they would build a stadium for football if necessary. Short term - Memorial Stadium in Charlotte would be a good bet since it has a 24,000 +/- capacity. For years, before Halton Arena was built the Niners BBall team played at Independence Arena.

Memorial Stadium is their only bet. It has hosted many FCS games and would be the perfect short term facility. Its a perfect size and right downtown.

lizrdgizrd
February 16th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Memorial Stadium is their only bet. It has hosted many FCS games and would be the perfect short term facility. Its a perfect size and right downtown.
The only problem with it is that it's not very pretty. xlolx xlolx

The Cats
February 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
The only problem with it is that it's not very pretty. xlolx xlolx

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/charlotte_memorial.jpg

Appstate29
February 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
a lot of my UNCC friends are saying this football talk is because their basketball team is sucking it up this year. They say it has decent student support, not spectacular, but not horrible.

murph
February 26th, 2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/16705844.htm

Hope it works out for the 49ers.

I too hope it works but the decision has been made. The "study" is a scam. UNCC will not have football for at least 10 years. The pro sports owners do NOT want any competition(no matter how small) for the sports dollar. You can be certain the members of the study group will say they are for football---they are NOT!

Mr. C
February 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Of course, the UNCC campus isn't anywhere near downtown.

MplsBison
February 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7476/chareg8.jpg

My god! That must be... 3...no, 4 miles!!

dbackjon
February 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
xlolx - and I am not laughing WITH you....

Mr. C
February 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Minneapolis Bison, the smartest man who doesn't live anywhere near the places he is so knowledgeable about. Have you ever even been to Charlotte? You keep trying to make a case for something you know nothing about. UNCC is indeed across town from the downtown area. Students don't drive away from campus a whole lot to see games. Of course, in this case, we're talking about a commuter school, anyway. Those students don't do a whole lot on campus, but go to classes and leave. I can look on map quest and put a map up just like you. It doesn't prove I know ANYTHING. Most people who live on a campus in north Charlotte are not going to be interested in going off campus for a football game. Why are you so interested in this subject anyway?

lizrdgizrd
February 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Minneapolis Bison, the smartest man who doesn't live anywhere near the places he is so knowledgeable about. Have you ever even been to Charlotte? You keep trying to make a case for something you know nothing about. UNCC is indeed across town from the downtown area. Students don't drive away from campus a whole lot to see games. Of course, in this case, we're talking about a commuter school, anyway. Those students don't do a whole lot on campus, but go to classes and leave. I can look on map quest and put a map up just like you. It doesn't prove I know ANYTHING. Most people who live on a campus in north Charlotte are not going to be interested in going off campus for a football game. Why are you so interested in this subject anyway?
He's speaking truth to power (the Old Guard)! xlolx xlolx

BigApp
February 26th, 2007, 01:24 PM
My god! That must be... 3...no, 4 miles!!

http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17445.gif