PDA

View Full Version : Early Signing Period

ASU33
December 18th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Any of you guys like the new signing period this year?

saxbison
December 18th, 2017, 04:12 PM
I think it's great. It gives recruits a better chance of exploring options, combats oversigning, and takes a bunch of pressure off coaches on the back end of the season.

walliver
December 18th, 2017, 04:58 PM
The early signing period has had an unexpected effect on coaching changes, especially at P5 level, where coaches who are fired or quit are being replaced with only a few days of contemplation. Some of these rush hires will be regretted.

Milktruck74
December 19th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Any of you guys like the new signing period this year?

Let me ponder this for a day and a half and I'll get back to you with my answer....ha. I think it all depends on how your team takes advantage of it as to your like or dislike of it. I think it may actually be a good thing for the kids....but time will tell.

Redbird 4th & short
December 19th, 2017, 08:38 AM
Hard to say .. with 5 coaches gone from this season, including our recruiting coordinator. We fired 3 offensive coaches: OC, OL, WR. Pushed/allowed to leave our RB coach, who was also the recruiting coordinator. Plus our DC left on good terms for better job. So early signing this year does nothing for us .. we are pretty good at securing our recruits with strong commitments. So anyone left to sign is probably going to wait until we hire a few missing coaching spots.

So in normal year without coaching turnover, it might help a little at most .. but not much because Spack is very good about securing his commits .. very few back out. So by now he is usually just filling in the last few recruits.

This year, I think it can only hurt us while we try to replace 5 coaches. But we likely secured most of our guys already .. but will be interesting (i.e. suck) to see if we lose more than usual.

WestCoastAggie
December 19th, 2017, 08:40 AM
We should have some young men sign.

PaladinNation
December 19th, 2017, 09:12 AM
Looks like Furman is really trying to lock up most of it's class tomorrow.
Furman could sign 10-13 tomorrow, that would leave maybe 5 for the late signing.
Rumor is Furman might have a few transfers incoming.

The bad news about the early signing date is it appears players are waffling a bit, Furman has had three commits change already and a couple of their top targets are still waiting for an SEC/ACC offer.

The other interesting thing… not sure it's related to the early signing is several high school players have announced preferred walk-on offers from Furman.

Milktruck74
December 19th, 2017, 10:14 AM
I think UTC would love to see 10, but would be happy with 6-7 signing early. Once it is done, the pressure is off, and frees up resources to go after that next group. I think this does bode well for FCS due to that....but time will tell.

jmu007
December 19th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I believe JMU plans to sign a minimum of 13 players tomorrow. I may be shorting the number, but I know it is at least that many. Coaches have stated that continuing to recruit during playoffs has been taxing, but good problem to have. #FCS1stWorldProblems

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2017, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure it won't take 2-3 years before we can make reasonably formed arguments for or against - but that usually doesn't stop the hot takes, does it? :D

My initial thoughts are:

1. Playoff teams can be at a disadvantage -- what happens when FCS playoff coaches are more worried about FBS job prospects? Colgate over JMU and New Hampshire over UCA are results that come immediately to mind. The coaches have to work their recruits harder earlier in the season. There has to be some effect, but it boils down to how each coaching staff is equipped to deal with the accelerated timeline (that's why I think it'll be a couple years to judge -- staff haven't figured out completely how to rework/revise their recruiting efforts yet).

2. Don't know what the trickle-down effects will be from the FBS world. Do those schools try to sign the bulk of their classes now or wait until the traditional NSD?

I think JMU wants to sign about 2/3 of its class this week, but we shall see.

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2017, 11:20 AM
https://twitter.com/DanScottShow/status/943165746657546241

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2017, 12:41 PM
The big unknown that runs through my mind as we move into the early signing period is how many FBS coaches will withdraw offers from players who don't sign during the early period. How many HCs will take the lack of a signature as a lack of commitment on a HS senior's part?

Lots of interesting dynamics to watch over the next three days.

Hammerhead
December 19th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Another disadvantage is that teams in the playoffs are busy prepping for the next game and can't do much recruiting. However, they can also tell prospects to watch the game on TV so maybe that's an advantage?

1. Playoff teams can be at a disadvantage -- what happens when FCS playoff coaches are more worried about FBS job prospects? Colgate over JMU and New Hampshire over UCA are results that come immediately to mind. The coaches have to work their recruits harder earlier in the season. There has to be some effect, but it boils down to how each coaching staff is equipped to deal with the accelerated timeline (that's why I think it'll be a couple years to judge -- staff haven't figured out completely how to rework/revise their recruiting efforts yet).

KPSUL
December 19th, 2017, 01:08 PM
My initial thoughts are:

1. Playoff teams can be at a disadvantage -- what happens when FCS playoff coaches are more worried about FBS job prospects? Colgate over JMU and New Hampshire over UCA are results that come immediately to mind.

I'm not sure I understand your point here? If it is about Sean McDonnell, his FBS ship set sail without him a long time ago.

UNH has 6 verbal commits right now, and two other likely commits tomorrow. If they follow through we'll end up with several guys we might have lost to other programs in January or February during previous years. So yes, I like the early signing period.

PaladinFan
December 19th, 2017, 01:14 PM
The big unknown that runs through my mind as we move into the early signing period is how many FBS coaches will withdraw offers from players who don't sign during the early period. How many HCs will take the lack of a signature as a lack of commitment on a HS senior's part?

Lots of interesting dynamics to watch over the next three days.

Good question. Furman's verbal QB commit seems to have indicated he will wait until February. Of course, Furman's original commit flipped to James Madison, so I think "commitment" is sort of a relative term.

I guess we will see.

dewey
December 19th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Here is a video from the Bison Media Zone about the early signing period for NDSU and hand full of players that may sign with NDSU tomorrow.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bison-video-blog-2018-signing-day-special/

Boy it is nice to have the great coverage of the Bison that these guys provide.

Dewey

RichH2
December 19th, 2017, 01:54 PM
No one really knows how this will panout for FCS teams. I have noticed tho a lot more PWO offers than in prior years. Coaches doing a CYA move not knowing how ESD will impact their lists. Do think it will shorten cherry picking time when coaches are scrambling to replace kids wh chose Elsewhere U instead of them. It will be more intense tho. Oh well tomorrow will be interesting.

BEAR
December 19th, 2017, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure it won't take 2-3 years before we can make reasonably formed arguments for or against - but that usually doesn't stop the hot takes, does it? :D

My initial thoughts are:

2. Don't know what the trickle-down effects will be from the FBS world. Do those schools try to sign the bulk of their classes now or wait until the traditional NSD?

I think JMU wants to sign about 2/3 of its class this week, but we shall see.

If anyone thinks a coach with FBS ambitions with the opportunity to triple or more his paycheck with a team in the playoffs will have his head in the game....well, you're right...the UCA v UNH game is a perfect example of a coach wanting to move on and checking out in every way.

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2017, 02:13 PM
I'm not sure I understand your point here? If it is about Sean McDonnell, his FBS ship set sail without him a long time ago.

UNH has 6 verbal commits right now, and two other likely commits tomorrow. If they follow through we'll end up with several guys we might have lost to other programs in January or February during previous years. So yes, I like the early signing period.

I was referring more to Withers at JMU and Campbell at UCA. Both coaches appear to have had the moving vans loaded and warmed up prior to their playoff games in '15 and '17, respectively. McDonnell looks set to become the next Jimmye Laycock in the CAA.

KPSUL
December 19th, 2017, 02:29 PM
I was referring more to Withers at JMU and Campbell at UCA. Both coaches appear to have had the moving vans loaded and warmed up prior to their playoff games in '15 and '17, respectively. McDonnell looks set to become the next Jimmye Laycock in the CAA.

Jimmye Laycock, that's a little scary considering recent W&M teams! Couldn't you have said Andy Talley instead? I didn't realize Steve Campbell had all but checked out at UCA. What's the rumor as far as where he is going?

Twentysix
December 19th, 2017, 02:40 PM
Early signing just shifts the meta even more to coach continuity over replacing good coaches who aren't making the natty. It's an interesting balance update for college football.

This change will probably make bad programs worse, unless they were inflicting their own struggles by repeatedly firing coaches unnecessarily.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Outsider1
December 19th, 2017, 03:01 PM
Jimmye Laycock, that's a little scary considering recent W&M teams! Couldn't you have said Andy Talley instead? I didn't realize Steve Campbell had all but checked out at UCA. What's the rumor as far as where he is going?

USA

http://katv.com/sports/content/steve-campbell-leaving-uca-for-south-alabama

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2017, 03:26 PM

Forgot about Talley, but see what you mean about Laycock xlolx -- they peaked in 2004 w/Lang Campbell as their QB.

UCA's Campbell went to South Alabama effective Dec. 7th.

ST_Lawson
December 19th, 2017, 03:29 PM
I think that early signing will help a lot of FCS teams get things all lined up sooner...less scrambling late when a kid changes his mind.

Obviously we won't know for sure how it'll affect things for probably a couple of years, but there's two things I'm going to keep a close eye on....
1. number of kids we lose late in the process when a MAC school jumps in and offers them (or lack thereof)
2. how many kids we have who are graduating HS early come to campus and sign up for classes in the spring and are eligible to participate in spring practices.

Mike296
December 19th, 2017, 03:47 PM
This recruiting period will be very interesting for us. We have 8-10 guys on our radar for this period with another 5-8 coming in the late period. We’re pretty young as a team as a whole and we possibly could have a few JuCo guys coming in. Our man focus in recruiting is trying to rebuild on the defense as most of our graduating class was lost on Defense. We’ve extended a few offers to some Wisconsin kids but aren’t too sure if we have any chance of landing them. This years recruiting class will set the tone for the next 4 years as we’re on a big upswing and could beat JSU for the OVC.

Tribe4SF
December 19th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Forgot about Talley, but see what you mean about Laycock xlolx -- they peaked in 2004 w/Lang Campbell as their QB.

UCA's Campbell went to South Alabama effective Dec. 7th.

Or was it 2009?

ST_Lawson
December 19th, 2017, 04:06 PM
We've got 14 guys who have verbally committed to us at this point. I doubt that all will sign right away tomorrow though, and of course a few could still decommit and go elsewhere, but it seems like there's a lot of interest.

Professor Chaos
December 19th, 2017, 05:15 PM
I've heard that NDSU is "hoping" to get signatures from all 20 current verbals tomorrow. That "hoping" could just be wishful thinking or maybe it is based on some solid info because I've seen several NDSU commits already tweeting over the last few days about how excited they are to sign tomorrow but if almost all recruits signing on the early signing day becomes the norm it may not change a whole lot except move the entire recruiting timeline up.

Redbird 4th & short
December 19th, 2017, 05:18 PM
Hard to say .. with 5 coaches gone from this season, including our recruiting coordinator. We fired 3 offensive coaches: OC, OL, WR. Pushed/allowed to leave our RB coach, who was also the recruiting coordinator. Plus our DC left on good terms for better job. So early signing this year does nothing for us .. we are pretty good at securing our recruits with strong commitments. So anyone left to sign is probably going to wait until we hire a few missing coaching spots.

So in normal year without coaching turnover, it might help a little at most .. but not much because Spack is very good about securing his commits .. very few back out. So by now he is usually just filling in the last few recruits.

This year, I think it can only hurt us while we try to replace 5 coaches. But we likely secured most of our guys already .. but will be interesting (i.e. suck) to see if we lose more than usual.

So just got this from Spack, being part of the Redbird End Zone Club, we get periodic football updates from Spack.

Dear End Zone Club members:

Tomorrow marks history for FBS/FCS football to conduct an early signing period. Typically we only have one signing period towards the first Wednesday of February but this year we get two. One December 20th and one February 7th. This is new territory for everyone so we are not sure how this will unfold. If guys will sign right away or wait to see what bigger offers they can get. From what we have gathered from our 2018 recruiting class the majority, if not all, will be signing tomorrow. We are keeping this day pretty low-key due to the unknown of how it will go. I will have a brief press conference tomorrow at 4 pm up in the Hancock club that you all are welcome to join. We will briefly cover each player that signed. We will not go over footage etc. until February when we have our entire class signed.

We are looking to conduct an End Zone Club gathering towards the middle of January/early February, once we get all of new hires established, and do a meet and greet with you all so we can talk candidly about our signing class and you all will get to mingle with our entire coaching staff. Once we have our entire staff hired I will reach out to you on a set date for this event. We are very excited about this recruiting class and can’t wait to mingle with you all early next year.

Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Go Birds!

Brock Spack
Head Football Coach
Illinois State University
Kaufman Football Building
Campus Box 7160
Normal, IL 61790

BisonTru
December 19th, 2017, 05:25 PM
The new early signing period will be the standard soon. Kids will be pressured to sign early. This isn't good for recruits/players. I said this much when they proposed it. It's too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derby City Duke
December 19th, 2017, 10:15 PM
Or was it 2009?

Nah; 2004. In '09 you guys went into the bracket unseeded. That semi-final was more competitive than '04, but you guys had a better team with Campbell @ QB.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2017, 08:01 AM
So far 13 NLIs in for NDSU today. Seems just as fast and furious as the Feb signing day most years. Same for others out there?

PaladinNation
December 20th, 2017, 08:14 AM
So far 13 NLIs in for NDSU today. Seems just as fast and furious as the Feb signing day most years. Same for others out there?

Two signed for Furman by 9am, looks like many on the list for Furman have scheduled afternoon signing events… fingers crossed.

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2017, 08:39 AM

Looks like a good class, from what I'm reading.

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2017, 08:41 AM
5 signed for us so far, and at least a few have posted on twitter that they're doing signing events around lunchtime or in the afternoon.

Milktruck74
December 20th, 2017, 08:46 AM
The Mocs have 6 signed and in....all solid gets. One more has signed, but the papers aren't in yet. He a signing party on Friday (last day of school), but had to wait to send it in. So, we should see at least 7, more offers out there.....

2 from Trussville, AL
3 from the ATL area
1 from Chattanooga (SEC transfer)
1 from Knoxville area (waiting on his stuff)

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Looks like a good class, from what I'm reading.
Looks to be that way though it usually does on signing day it seems. ;)

Up to 19 NLIs on the day for NDSU and they might be done. There may be a PWO or two trickling in though. Great to see them get so many scholarship guys locked in! I'm sure the coaches are run ragged after these last few weeks of playoff football and stretch recruiting but this should make the next 6 weeks easier on them since I'd assume they only have a handful of schollies left.

Milktruck74
December 20th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Looks to be that way though it usually does on signing day it seems. ;)

Up to 19 NLIs on the day for NDSU and they might be done. There may be a PWO or two trickling in though. Great to see them get so many scholarship guys locked in! I'm sure the coaches are run ragged after these last few weeks of playoff football and stretch recruiting but this should make the next 6 weeks easier on them since I'd assume they only have a handful of schollies left.

This is probably a good thing for coaches families. They have never been able to enjoy the holiday break since Recruiting is in full swing. This early period may give them a few weekends off. We may see an increase in injuries on coaching staffs....ACLs and shoulders from family Ski trips. hahaha.

PurpleStreamers
December 20th, 2017, 09:01 AM
13 signed at JMU and Coach says that it's for today. OL and DB getting an infusion. Only one the Dukes didn't get today that we thought they might.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2017, 09:02 AM
This is probably a good thing for coaches families. They have never been able to enjoy the holiday break since Recruiting is in full swing. This early period may give them a few weekends off. We may see an increase in injuries on coaching staffs....ACLs and shoulders from family Ski trips. hahaha.
I believe the holidays have always been a dead period anyway meaning no direct contact of any kind between coaches and recruits. Before the early signing day was around I think for FBS that went from something like 12/5 until 1/5 and for FCS from 12/20 to 1/5 (just random round numbered dates that are close to what I've remembered hearing). Still though it doesn't mean that they weren't lining up their January plans for the recruiting stretch run and worrying about plans B and C for a bunch of guys that could get vulched so it'll be a burden off their conscience if nothing else.

PaladinNation
December 20th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Furman's list is growing… now 5. Highlights so far two big bodies 6-5 275 OT from Alabama and CUJO Coleman from Eastern Tennessee a 6-3 285 NG, Coleman had over 14 offers, also the first running back on the board is from Pensacola, FL Devin Abrams 6-0 205. Furman's big target at running back has his signing at 2:30…

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2017, 09:27 AM
It felt like Feb today if you watched the NDSU Twitter account.

We got all of our guys!

Gangtackle11
December 20th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Looks like Nova is getting their expected recruits today.

Interesting recruit is a familiar name Quadir Ishmail. Son of former Baltimore Raven Quadry “The Missile” Ishmail.

Surprisingly he’s listed as a 6’7” Qb recruit by Nova.

dewey
December 20th, 2017, 09:39 AM

We got all of our guys!

Heck yeah it did.

Here is a link to the Bison Media Zone live chat about the recruits that signed early today.

https://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/live-blog-early-signing-period-2018/

Dewey

Winindy
December 20th, 2017, 09:40 AM

We got all of our guys!

BSU came after Trey Lance. Looks like a good get.

Saybein Clark taking NDSUs offer over the Iowa offer was a surprise.
That Talbert kid looks like a blazer.
But
Joe Schreiber has some stink on him. He's going to be a good center. Moves his feet really well. Might be still growing.

Nice class for sure.

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2017, 09:44 AM
BSU came after Trey Lance. Looks like a good get.

Saybein Clark
taking NDSUs offer over the Iowa offer was a surprise.
That Talbert kid looks like a blazer.
But
Joe Schreiber
has some stink on him. He's going to be a good center. Moves his feet really well. Might be still growing.

Nice class for sure.

Yeah - 5 years ago I'd never have thought we'd be able to hold schools like Iowa off for recruits. That's insane.

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Submitted for consideration of "best name for a 2018 recruit" (last year won by Illinois State's Kobe Buffalomeat, I believe)...

Trey McJunkin

https://twitter.com/CoachFish_RipIt/status/943504204953477121

Mike296
December 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM
Very quiet today for APSU a DT and not much else as of yet.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2017, 09:58 AM
20 for NDSU so far.

TheKingpin28
December 20th, 2017, 10:16 AM
Coach Klieman was on FB live (they are still doing a show right now) and talked about some of the recruits. One of our recruits, I had no idea, will be joining in 2020 due to his 2 year LDS mission.

Excellent day for the Bison. Watching Trey Lance and Holden Hotchkiss battle it out for the #1 after Easton leaves is going to be fun to watch. Both could start at most if not all FCS and some FBS schools.

Mike296
December 20th, 2017, 10:19 AM
This Kenner kid should do well for the Govs. Good speed and agility. Should be a good fit for us

centennial
December 20th, 2017, 10:20 AM
Yeah - 5 years ago I'd never have thought we'd be able to hold schools like Iowa off for recruits. That's insane.

This class is truly G5 quality. Best class ever at NDSU on paper.

Daytripper
December 20th, 2017, 10:27 AM

You guys need the help, obviously....xeyebrowxxconfusedx

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2017, 10:28 AM

Maybe people are onto something about NDSU being FBS in FCS clothing.

TheKingpin28
December 20th, 2017, 10:31 AM

I am still trying to figure out how all of these kids will get playing time but damn, it is always a great day to be a Bison, but wow, this class has me giddy right now.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2017, 10:36 AM
I am still trying to figure out how all of these kids will get playing time but damn, it is always a great day to be a Bison, but wow, this class has me giddy right now.

When you rotate 8 or more D lineman. And would be rotating 5-6 Linebackers if they were healthy they get playing time. NDSU rotates a lot of positions.

TheKingpin28
December 20th, 2017, 10:46 AM
When you rotate 8 or more D lineman. And would be rotating 5-6 Linebackers if they were healthy they get playing time. NDSU rotates a lot of positions.

I know that, but with how deep they are at the D-Line position, this could be problematic, in a good way. I know the LBs are very young, which is good and Cox is only going to get better but this is why we have the coaches that we do. It is a good problem to have but wow one would have to think something would eventually have to give.

centennial
December 20th, 2017, 10:52 AM

We don't have transfers to count on.

JMU just got a QB from Pitt. NDSU has 2 recruits in Trey and Holden as good as him. Plus we have Easton for another year. He is about 20th for the 2019 QB draft class. The guy QB NDSU threw off the team would probably start at 50% of FCS schools.

Bisonator
December 20th, 2017, 10:56 AM

That gets said every year. We will know in 4-5 years.

Winterborn
December 20th, 2017, 11:18 AM
That gets said every year. We will know in 4-5 years.

Agree. In my mind it is interesting who we sign, but is kind of like planning on what you will buy with your lottery winnings before you have won.

Has there been any discussion on if we will offer a scholarship to a punter/kicker coming up? Seems like some games we really miss someone who could kick like LeCompte.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2017, 11:29 AM
So what is the story with Cox's brother? I saw a tweet saying he was offered last night.

PaladinFan
December 20th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Furman is supposed to bring in about 10 members of a supposed 17 member class.

Of note, Coach Hendrix says Furman is going to bring in a couple of transfer players in January. Furman is one of the few FCS programs that does not have a transfer player on its roster.

Real encouraging point for Furman to be coming off a playoff season, returning virtually the entire roster including every defensive starter, add a new class of "Hendrix guys" and then sprinkle in a few transfers at key positions of need.

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2017, 11:40 AM
So what is the story with Cox's brother? I saw a tweet saying he was offered last night.

Don't know, but hopefully he's just like his older brother.

Bisonator
December 20th, 2017, 11:46 AM
Agree. In my mind it is interesting who we sign, but is kind of like planning on what you will buy with your lottery winnings before you have won.

Has there been any discussion on if we will offer a scholarship to a punter/kicker coming up? Seems like some games we really miss someone who could kick like LeCompte.
Doubtful. Seems like Coach K doesn't have the same emphasis on the kicking duties that Bohl did. Plus they already have another P & K on the roster.

WTFCollegefootballfan
December 20th, 2017, 11:49 AM
The RB from Wisconsin is being moved to safety. Sprowles and Lance practiced together all summer.

Mattymc727
December 20th, 2017, 11:55 AM
UNH signed 7 today, probably looking at 15-18 for the class.

Hard to tell what this means for a program like UNH. In theory its a good thing. Kids that are under the radar can sign on early before being plucked last second by a local G5 team.

However, I wasn't overly impressed with the 7 that signed today, its nice they are locked down, but we didn't seem to steal any of them

Mike296
December 20th, 2017, 12:16 PM
This years class is shaping up really nicely. Promising future for the Govs in years to come

TTUEagles
December 20th, 2017, 12:52 PM
TTU able to secure 6 players today, despite only having 3 coaches and still no Head Coach.

Redbird 4th & short
December 20th, 2017, 01:33 PM
ISUr got 19 commits signed today.

Not yet sure how many are still out there that committed, but didn't send NLI today, but total is usually around 20+ .. So we're happy with 19 and frankly, very relieved .. losing 4 offensive coaches (Co-OC/QB, Co-OC/OL, WR, and RB .. none amicably) and 1 defensive coach (DC, amicably) had some of us concerned with losing commits. Fact that we already hired popular new OC was probably big factor on offense ... new OC is clearly an upgrade. Speculating that Spack will retake the DC reins until he grooms his next Asst DC to take over .. probably helped on defense .. but that is pure fan speculation on Spack taking DC reins.

http://goredbirds.com/news/2017/12/19/2018-redbird-football-early-signing-period-tracker.aspx

BEAR
December 20th, 2017, 02:18 PM
UCA signed 11 today with an emphasis on the lines. Losing 26 this year means we will likely have another big signing class at the next signing period. New coach and mostly new staff and new QB it will be exciting to see how we do next year.

Redbird 4th & short
December 20th, 2017, 02:24 PM
Submitted for consideration of "best name for a 2018 recruit" (last year won by Illinois State's Kobe Buffalomeat, I believe)...

Trey McJunkin

https://twitter.com/CoachFish_RipIt/status/943504204953477121

not bad .. except Spack put Kobe Buffalomeat on his slow cooker .. xrolleyesx ... and grey shirted him for fall. So we're resubmitting his name for consideration again this year.

let us know if you're guy gets spot on Jimmy Kimmel show .. then we can talk about your guy McJunkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_MxTsfAoE

Milktruck74
December 20th, 2017, 02:39 PM
Chattanooga has signed 11 of it's 13 commitments...#12 has tweeted that he has signed, but the paperwork isn't at the school yet. and nobody knows who the mysterious #13 is......

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2017, 02:43 PM
not bad .. except Spack put Kobe Buffalomeat on his slow cooker .. xrolleyesx ... and grey shirted him for fall. So we're resubmitting his name for consideration again this year.

let us know if you're guy gets spot on Jimmy Kimmel show .. then we can talk about your guy McJunkin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_MxTsfAoE

Oh, I know Buffalomeat got a TON of publicity. I don't know if he should be eligible twice though...this ain't the Payton award.

We have 11 recruits signed so far, expecting 1...maybe 2 more this signing period. Staff will probably be shooting for another 6-8 in the "regularly scheduled" signing period.

Redbird 4th & short
December 20th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Oh, I know Buffalomeat got a TON of publicity. I don't know if he should be eligible twice though...this ain't the Payton award.

We have 11 recruits signed so far, expecting 1...maybe 2 more this signing period. Staff will probably be shooting for another 6-8 in the "regularly scheduled" signing period.

you might tell your guy to drop the first name, Trey .. and just go with ... McJunkin. It worked very well for this guy ./.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.xj0fU49zNF3RVr1G0YYRUwHaEK&w=300&h=168&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2017, 02:49 PM
you might tell your guy to drop the first name, Trey .. and just go with ... McJunkin. It worked very well for this guy ./.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.xj0fU49zNF3RVr1G0YYRUwHaEK&w=300&h=168&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7

I was actually going to photoshop our guy into the McLovin ID card later.

PAllen
December 20th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Lehigh got 12. I'll leave it up to others to speak to their quality. One thing that does stand out to me is that they are almost exclusively from the NY/NJ/PA area. Not a single kid from Maryland or Virginia even.

UNHWildcat18
December 20th, 2017, 03:46 PM

Hard to tell what this means for a program like UNH. In theory its a good thing. Kids that are under the radar can sign on early before being plucked last second by a local G5 team.

However, I wasn't overly impressed with the 7 that signed today, its nice they are locked down, but we didn't seem to steal any of them

Dylan Laube and David Perry Jr are fantastic pick ups. UNH could win the NC and you'd still find a way to be negative

Yote 53
December 20th, 2017, 03:47 PM

That's how you are spinning that? Yeah, that's not what happened. Iowa was full up on RB and wasn't really hotly pursuing him. They let him go.

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2017, 03:55 PM
That's how you are spinning that? Yeah, that's not what happened. Iowa was full up on RB and wasn't really hotly pursuing him. They let him go.
Fair enough but Samuel Moore (https://twitter.com/BisonReport/status/943478864159956992) isn't a RB.

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2017, 03:55 PM

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/943509732979027968

Read as you see fit. Don't know what got your panties in a wad.

Bison Fan in NW MN
December 20th, 2017, 04:07 PM

How many recruits did the Coyotes beat out that were going to Dakota State.......

IBleedYellow
December 20th, 2017, 04:13 PM

Or this???

https://twitter.com/SportsMDF/status/943553020041793536

gsf23nd
December 20th, 2017, 04:31 PM
https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/943509732979027968

Read as you see fit. Don't know what got your panties in a wad.

Think it was watching the Bison blow out a team that they couldn't hold under 40 pts.

R3TRO
December 20th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Dylan Laube and David Perry Jr are fantastic pick ups. UNH could win the NC and you'd still find a way to be negative

This is all Trevor Knight's fault.

Yote 53
December 20th, 2017, 04:52 PM
So you signed a player that had an offer to Central Michigan, who cares? There are plenty of players that have G5 offers that opt to go to the FCS instead.

We were talking about Sabien Clark here. Iowa offered him early but then moved on to other priorities they had. It's not like the Bison went head to head with Iowa and Iowa really wanted that guy but he spurned them for NDSU.

You guys have a good program but you are getting way over yourselves here.

Yote 53
December 20th, 2017, 04:57 PM
FWIW, USD had a pretty good day too. Couple of players had offers to places like Wyoming, Army, Iowa State, UNI, SDSU, etc, etc.

https://www.midcosn.com/blog/2017/12/usd-adds-16-on-early-signing-day/

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2017, 05:00 PM
So you signed a player that had an offer to Central Michigan, who cares? There are plenty of players that have G5 offers that opt to go to the FCS instead.

We were talking about Sabien Clark here. Iowa offered him early but then moved on to other priorities they had. It's not like the Bison went head to head with Iowa and Iowa really wanted that guy but he spurned them for NDSU.

No, we weren't talking about Saybein Clark.

Fair enough but Samuel Moore (https://twitter.com/BisonReport/status/943478864159956992) isn't a RB.

Wildcat1997
December 20th, 2017, 05:31 PM
Abilene Christian signed 13 JUCOs with more possibly on the way. We needed immediate help and we are for sure getting it.

centennial
December 20th, 2017, 05:56 PM

Aren't you a big Iowa fan? Did you cry when NDSU beat them last year? Why do you care who NDSU beat to get recruits?

KPSUL
December 20th, 2017, 05:57 PM

Very satisfied with this group and they match our projected needs - most, if not all, will be redshirted and ready to go 2019. I don't think we'll see a total of 15-18, with only 4 starters and 3-4 more 2-deep players graduating, UNH will not have many scholarships available for this class.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2017, 06:25 PM
Which one of these Patriot League signing lists is not like the others?

Colgate: 16 signees
Lafayette: 14 signees
Bucknell: 12 signees
Lehigh: 12 signees
Holy Cross: 11 signees
Fordham: 10 signees
Georgetown: 0 signings

Paladin1aa
December 20th, 2017, 06:42 PM
YSU signs 9 today. A transfer 6'3, 250 TE from Ohio St. And a 6'6, 300 Juco OL with 7 Frosh. The first two players have good potential. The Frosh continue Bozos poor recruiting of H.S. Players. Undersized and less than impressive film. Plus Bozos DC brother resigns for DC at Bowling Green.

Best of the H.S. Players are LB 6'1, 225 and OL 6'5, 290. The QB is little, 6' , and MAYBE 170.Dual threat. They need to pick it up in Feb.

Colgate Raider Redux
December 20th, 2017, 07:05 PM
Colgate signs 16

Colgate signed its 16 newcomers from nine states and across seven positions. Wide receiver, offensive line, linebacker and defensive back drew three signees apiece, with running back adding two and single signees for the defensive line and tight end.

Pennsylvania is home to five future Raiders, followed by two each from Connecticut, Illinois and New Jersey. Single-state representatives are from Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Michigan and New York.

http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2017/12/20/football-raiders-ink-16-in-early-signing-period.aspx

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2017, 07:35 PM
We ended up with 13 guys sign today, 3 from JUCOs.
http://goleathernecks.com/news/2017/12/19/western-illinois-football-brings-in-13-signees.aspx

Looks like a good start on a solid recruiting class at this point, but like any year...who knows. Guys who are highly touted will drop off...guys who have no other offers or are walk-ons will end up being all-conference. Still, I like what I'm seeing.

2017 Early Signing Day Class
QB Trey McJunkin, 6'1", 195, Fresno City Community College (Calif.)
TE Sam Bakalow, 6'5", 230, Forreston High School (Ill.)
WR Victor Akinyemi, 6'2", 212, Marian Catholic High School (Ill.)
WR John Brunner, 6'3", 195, Butler Community College (Kan.)
OL Kelton Edwards, 6'2", 305, Northeast Mississippi Community College (Miss.)
OL T.J. Kennedy, 6'6", 330, Lee's Summit High School (Mo.)
OL Brandon Malkow, 6'5", 295, Beloit Turner High School (Wis.)
DE Tristan Pfeiffer, 6'4", 235, Grain Valley High School (Mo.)
LB Jack Anderson, 6'3", 225, Academy of Holy Angels (Minn.)
LB Herschel Blankenship, 6'1", 215, Plainfield High School (Ind.)
LB Hunter Mason, 6'3", 210, Nevada High School (Mo.)
LB Cole Tandy, 6'3", 215, University High School (Ill.)
CB De'Shon Gavin, 5'11", 180, Providence Catholic (Ill.)

Mike296
December 20th, 2017, 07:51 PM
We ended up with 12 signings today and according to our Twitter page we have #4 Ranked class in FCS but I’m not too sure how accurate that actually is

PantherRob82
December 20th, 2017, 08:37 PM
UNI got like 5-7 that we know of since Farley chose not to list them.
...http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26829&stc=1

Professor Chaos
December 20th, 2017, 08:46 PM
UNI got like 5-7 that we know of since Farley chose not to list them.
...http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26829&stc=1
xeyebrowx

That's a really odd thing to want to keep under wraps. If the NLIs are signed... let the fans of the players and their new college football team celebrate and get a little excited. The Rubicon has been crossed at that point.

ST_Lawson
December 20th, 2017, 09:08 PM
xeyebrowx

That's a really odd thing to want to keep under wraps. If the NLIs are signed... let the fans of the players and their new college football team celebrate and get a little excited. The Rubicon has been crossed at that point.

Farley does know about the internet....right?

JSUSoutherner
December 20th, 2017, 09:26 PM
JSU Staff: "Gotta replace Darius Jackson, Roc, and Justin Lea!"

Signees:

PantherRob82
December 21st, 2017, 05:31 AM
Farley does know about the internet....right?
The weirdest thing is that I saw at least one player tweeted out an official signing day image that definitely came from our athletic department, but our athletic department and football team didn’t post it.

clenz
December 21st, 2017, 06:12 AM
JSU Staff: "Gotta replace Darius Jackson, Roc, and Justin Lea!"

Signees:

As I told you yesterday: transfer season doesn’t start for 2 more weeks. You’ve got time.

clenz
December 21st, 2017, 06:13 AM
xeyebrowx

But it’s Farley and the local media will do nothing to question him because that’s not allowed and you’ll lose you football access if you do that.

Last I saw we were at 8 or 9 but “expected to grow through Friday PM when the window closes”

Whatever. I don’t even care anymore.

Mattymc727
December 21st, 2017, 06:33 AM

You really think so? A 5'9 RB and a dime a dozen lineman with no other known offers? Maybe you're right, but I don't see it.

None of those kids who committed yesterday chose UNH over another FCS school as far as i could tell.

Oh, and UNH will never win the NC with its current staff, so you wont have to worry about that.

SFA 93
December 21st, 2017, 06:49 AM
SFA signs 11 including 4 JUCO

OL: Tanner Elliott 6-3; 300 Carthage, Texas (Carthage/Tyler JC) JUCO
OL: John Wilkowski 6-6; 284 Cypress, Texas (Cypress Ranch)
OL: Jeffery Rose 6-4; 290 Cypress, Texas (Cypress Ranch) ** (247sports)
WR: Quentyvian Borders 6-2; 180 San Augustine, Texas (SanAugustine)
TE: Bryce Wempa 6-5; 248 Royce City, Texas (Royce City/Tyler JC) JUCO *** #1 TE (Scout)
TE: Barclay Ford 6-3; 225 Forney, Texas (North Forney) ** #106 TE (247sports)

DE: Amad Murray 6-3; 255 Huntsville, Texas (Huntville)
LB: Quin Jones 6-1; 230 Abbeville, Mississippi (Lafayette/East Mississippi CC) JUCO ** #5 ILB; #39 State; #143 Nation (247sports)
S: Jaterious Evans 6-1; 190 Center, Texas (Center)
S: Brody Anderson 5-10; 190 Katy, Texas (Katy)
CB: Aretavious Hendrix 6-1; 185 Starkville, Mississippi (Starkville/Miss. Gulf Coast CC) JUCO

Milktruck74
December 21st, 2017, 07:09 AM
The Mocs signed all 13 of their commitments. Filled some holes, picked up some really good players. An SEC transfer on OL, a JUCO AA from Last Chance U, a real sleeper (Cobb), several from the local area....and one serious head scratcher... A JUCO transfer that was 11 of 37 for 95 yards with 1 TD and 2 Ints in two seasons???? Maybe he brings something else to the table, but with starting a true freshman last year (and a solid one at that), I can't imagine he will play too much at the QB slot.

8:06 a.m.
Nyvin Nelson (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6265&path=)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3691)

LB
6-0
Cartersville, Ga. (Cartersville HS)

8:23 a.m.
Harrison Moon (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6264)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3689)
OL
6-5
Chattanooga, Tenn. (Mississippi St.)

8:23 a.m.
Logan Pitts (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6266)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3692)
TE
6-2
Trussville, Ala. (Hewitt-Trussville, Ala.)

8:41 a.m.
T.J. Horton (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6262)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3688)
WR
6-3
Cartersville, Ga. (Cartersville HS)

10:07 a.m.
Simon Miskelley (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6263)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3690)
LB
6-1
Trussville, Ala. (Hewitt-Trussville, Ala.)

12:13 p.m.
Isaiah Cobb (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6258)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3684)
RB
6-0
Maryville, Tenn (Maryville HS)

1:15 p.m.
Dylan Cole (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6259)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3684)
OL
6-4
Dalton, Ga. (Dalton HS)

1:30 p.m.
Kohl Henke (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6261)
DB
6-2
Chattanooga, Tenn. (Boyd-Buchanan HS)

1:45 p.m.
Lameric Tucker (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6267)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3694)
WR
5-11
Cleveland, Tenn. (Bradley Central HS)

1:50 p.m.
Josiah Futral (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6260)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch/?Archive=3686)
RB
6-0
Marietta, Ga. (Kell HS)

3:45 p.m.
Chris James (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6268)

QB
6-3
Ellijay, Ga. (Hutchinson (Kan.) CC)

5:00 p.m.
Mychal Austin (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6257)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch?Archive=3682)
DL
6-2
Apopka, Fla. (Apopka HS)

8:00 p.m.
Tyrell Price (http://gomocs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6269)
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/okla/graphics/auto/tiny_video_icon.gif (http://www.gomocs.com/watch?Archive=3693)
RB
6-0
Abbeville, Miss. (East Mississippi CC)

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2017, 07:11 AM
Furman signed 10. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2017-18/releases/20171220r4b6og

Paladins are looking to land 3 transfers in January. Sources indicate that one is a CB from Clemson, DL from GSU, and likely a running back. All three guys, I think, are players that Furman recruited heavily out of high school and Clay Hendrix tried to get to Air Force. So, they know one another well.

Milktruck74
December 21st, 2017, 07:21 AM
Furman signed 10. http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2017-18/releases/20171220r4b6og

Paladins are looking to land 3 transfers in January. Sources indicate that one is a CB from Clemson, DL from GSU, and likely a running back. All three guys, I think, are players that Furman recruited heavily out of high school and Clay Hendrix tried to get to Air Force. So, they know one another well.

probably decent students and high character kids to boot....the kind of transfers you want.

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2017, 07:40 AM
probably decent students and high character kids to boot....the kind of transfers you want.

I agree. Furman generally does not take transfers. In fact, Hendrix said we are one of the few FCS teams that do not have any transfers on their roster (depending on how you view Air Force Prep schools). Perhaps this signals a shift in that philosophy.

Milktruck74
December 21st, 2017, 07:52 AM
I agree. Furman generally does not take transfers. In fact, Hendrix said we are one of the few FCS teams that do not have any transfers on their roster (depending on how you view Air Force Prep schools). Perhaps this signals a shift in that philosophy.

Transfers don't bother me, so long as they don't have baggage. Taking a FBS kid that was kicked off their team for "violation of team rules" (hahaha) or being arrested for a host of things is not the same as a kid that signed with an SEC school and realized they are not going to get a chance to play....Huesman took a few, but they had to have at least 2 years left (preferably 3) and be in good standing with their previous team. I know of a few he passed on, because of baggage, and some were BIG TIME....Arth had a few more than I would like to see in his first season, but I don't think he took on all comers...they seem to all be solid kids.

JSUSoutherner
December 21st, 2017, 08:12 AM
As I told you yesterday: transfer season doesn’t start for 2 more weeks. You’ve got time.

They better have some humdingers up their sleeve.

Apparently the theory on GJS is we're chasing some prospects that are waiting on late SEC offers.

Great strategy, right? xcoffeex

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2017, 08:28 AM
Transfers don't bother me, so long as they don't have baggage. Taking a FBS kid that was kicked off their team for "violation of team rules" (hahaha) or being arrested for a host of things is not the same as a kid that signed with an SEC school and realized they are not going to get a chance to play....Huesman took a few, but they had to have at least 2 years left (preferably 3) and be in good standing with their previous team. I know of a few he passed on, because of baggage, and some were BIG TIME....Arth had a few more than I would like to see in his first season, but I don't think he took on all comers...they seem to all be solid kids.

I don't have an objection to transfers, though I think it is unwise to try to build a program around them. If you have a solid core and need depth at a position, go for it.

Furman had perhaps the most impactful transfer in FCS history in Ingle Martin. Martin joined a Furman team that already had a lot of good players and really just lacked a quality QB. If that sort of player falls in your lap, you'd be a fool not to grab him.

McNeese72
December 21st, 2017, 08:33 AM
The new early signing period will be the standard soon. Kids will be pressured to sign early. This isn't good for recruits/players. I said this much when they proposed it. It's too bad.

Don't know about that. I saw an article with quotes from some of the big guys in the Southeastern Conference and they don't like it. If the big schools end up not liking it, I don't see it staying around soon. We will just have to wait and see.

Doc

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2017, 08:36 AM
Don't know about that. I saw an article with quotes from some of the big guys in the Southeastern Conference and they don't like it. If the big schools end up not liking it, I don't see it staying around soon. We will just have to wait and see.

Doc

Furman's HC said it might actually level the playing field a bit. Big schools enjoy being able to sweep in at the last minute and flip a recruit. They don't like having to have their class pretty much set and ready.

Small schools should really love this rule. It allows programs to spend less time on the road in January keeping a class together. They can better use their resources and target certain players and thereby lessen the advantage that a bigger school with a bigger budget might otherwise have. It also lessens the chance that an FBS program will swipe a recruit at the 11th hour.

McNeese72
December 21st, 2017, 08:40 AM
Furman's HC said it might actually level the playing field a bit. Big schools enjoy being able to sweep in at the last minute and flip a recruit. They don't like having to have their class pretty much set and ready.

Small schools should really love this rule. It allows programs to spend less time on the road in January keeping a class together. They can better use their resources and target certain players and thereby lessen the advantage that a bigger school with a bigger budget might otherwise have. It also lessens the chance that an FBS program will swipe a recruit at the 11th hour.

That is why I said the big schools don't like it. And, if enough of the big schools don't like it, ...........

Doc

SU DOG
December 21st, 2017, 10:38 AM
Saban is against it, so it must be good. I think the Cowboy is right, however, and if the bigs don't like it, it will probably be gone.

Samford signed 7 yesterday, and Hatcher said we might get another 1or 2 this week also.

1. Mitchell Fineran, Kicker. One of the best in Georgia and also had offers from Mercer and Army.
2. Gavin Orr, OL. May be the most celebrated signee we get. A 3*** 247 player who also had instate offers from Troy, UAB, and JSU.
3, Ty King, WR. Should fit our system well. He is 6-6'1" with good hands. Offers also from Navy, Furman, and Mercer.
4. Austin Guyse, OL. All-State in Alabama player who started for his varsity team as an 8th grader.
5. Beau Myers, OL. Rated one of the top 10 linemen in the Nashville area.
6. Tay Berry, DL. Selected First Team 6A Mississippi All-State Team, and the Mississippi All-Star Classic.
7. Braeden Royal DL. Tuscaloosa County HS. An early Samford target from last spring who had outstanding games vs Hoover, Mountain Brook, and other state HS powers of this state. Under the radar type player.

Pretty good class so far, IMO.

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2017, 10:47 AM
Saban is against it, so it must be good. I think the Cowboy is right, however, and if the bigs don't like it, it will probably be gone.

Samford signed 7 yesterday, and Hatcher said we might get another 1or 2 this week also.

1. Mitchell Fineran, Kicker. One of the best in Georgia and also had offers from Mercer and Army.
2. Gavin Orr, OL. May be the most celebrated signee we get. A 3*** 247 player who also had instate offers from Troy, UAB, and JSU.
3, Ty King, WR. Should fit our system well. He is 6-6'1" with good hands. Offers also from Navy, Furman, and Mercer.
4. Austin Guyse, OL. All-State in Alabama player who started for his varsity team as an 8th grader.
5. Beau Myers, OL. Rated one of the top 10 linemen in the Nashville area.
6. Tay Berry, DL. Selected First Team 6A Mississippi All-State Team, and the Mississippi All-Star Classic.
7. Braeden Royal DL. Tuscaloosa County HS. An early Samford target from last spring who had outstanding games vs Hoover, Mountain Brook, and other state HS powers of this state. Under the radar type player.

Pretty good class so far, IMO.
The big guys have never liked it even when it was still in the proposal stage. I think the reason why it passed in the first place is because there's a lot more schools at the bottom of the recruiting food chain than there is at the top (if that makes sense). I think we will see some tweaking of it though.

There was some ESPN guy that suggested it yesterday and I liked it so I'm taking it; they should make the early signing period in August. These days more and more recruits are verbally committed before their senior season even starts so why not let them lock themselves in if they want to. That's how it's done in basketball, the early signing period is in November before most high school basketball seasons start and the late one is in April/May.

Having an early signing period only 6 weeks ahead of the late one doesn't do a whole lot other than accelerate everything so what used to be happening in January/early February now just happens in late November/December. If you're going to have an early signing period then make it "early".

Professor
December 21st, 2017, 11:00 AM
As far as this new signing day,

I think it will hurt us long run. Power 5 schools are basically telling kids to sign or we are moving on which will shrink the available player pool and the G5 and FCS schools. Shall be interesting to watch

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2017, 11:16 AM

I think it will hurt us long run. Power 5 schools are basically telling kids to sign or we are moving on which will shrink the available player pool and the G5 and FCS schools. Shall be interesting to watch
How does that shrink the player pool or hurt FCS schools? If anything it should lock up signing class spots for those P5 schools meaning more guys will know where they stand in regards to holding out for a P5 offer or not so they can see what G5/FCS or lower options are open to them before it's too late.

clenz
December 21st, 2017, 11:20 AM

Contrary take - as has been mentioned.

It's good for the lower levels (G5 and FCS)

Having to wait until Feb means that as the dominoes of who commits where and flips elsewhere means that bigger schools start going to their second options - who were committed elsewhere who then have spots to fill so they take their next options who were elsewhere.

Now, with the P5 schools inking 20+ kids yesterday there is very little room for late minute offers that will pull someone from somewhere else. There are fewer kids to get yanked away. We saw P5s pull kids away last minute yesterday as well (Iowa to South Dakota State on a couple I know for sure). SDSU now has time before Feb to find an option. Where as if SDSU had been counting on those kids when they went to bed that first Monday in Feb and woke up to those kids signing NLI's at Iowa they'd be more screwed

I can't tell you how many times UNI has lost kids to Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. very....very....very...late in the game simply beacuse their 4-5* targets end up elsewhere and they are left going "Uh....Hey, you. We kind of recruited you as a walk on but how about you get a scholarship offer now" or "You'll go from walk on to greyshirt"

This also allows gets to get into spring camp easier. Signed a NLI in December and enroll in Jan. Some kids already do this, but this makes the process easier.

Professor
December 21st, 2017, 11:37 AM
How does that shrink the player pool or hurt FCS schools? If anything it should lock up signing class spots for those P5 schools meaning more guys will know where they stand in regards to holding out for a P5 offer or not so they can see what G5/FCS or lower options are open to them before it's too late.

I agree, but also i saw yesterday that schools are moving on from players who won't commit and going back to the pool of talent. The continued "double dipping " imo is gonna hurt us

Professor Chaos
December 21st, 2017, 11:44 AM
I agree, but also i saw yesterday that schools are moving on from players who won't commit and going back to the pool of talent. The continued "double dipping " imo is gonna hurt us
I see where you're coming from but I just disagree. Those players who they moved on from now can go to their next best option just as schools are going to their next best options. Like clenz mentioned, P5 schools always did this before the early signing period was around but the early signing period forces them to "show their hands" to recruits so they do at least get a better idea of whether that P5 offer is a pipe dream for them or not.

Here's a perspective from even lower on the totem pole from a D2 (who doesn't have an early signing period) coach in Moorhead, MN who is already talking about the benefits of the early signing day to his program: http://www.inforum.com/sports/4377295-dragons-coach-laqua-says-early-d-i-signing-day-clears-division-ii-picture

"I think the good thing is it clears the picture up of what is kind of left out there," Laqua said. "Kids that think they may be going to a higher level, kind of know for sure now."
I think the same applies to everyone other than the top dogs in the recruiting food chain.

PaladinNation
December 21st, 2017, 01:27 PM
Concerning Furman… not sure there's another FCS team that recruits almost exclusively against the military academies as much as Furman does. Clay Hendrix was a master recruiter at Air Force… and he really plucked great talent out of Georgia. A can't count how many times he sting us late on a commitment and turned them. It's great to see Furman beat Navy, Army and AFA on most of the players signed yesterday, several had offers from all three.

Not sure how the early signing period moving forward will affect Furman recruiting against Navy, Army and AFA. The academies are hard to beat no matter what the signing period.

What does concern me is - for schools Like Furman and Wofford, maybe even Richmond and Elon - I think we will see bigger schools offer preferred walk-ons to players - prior to the early signing date to not get them to sign.

Case in point Hamp Sisson a QB at Mountain Brook, AL that has several academies offers plus Wofford, and now Furman… days before the early signing period Vandy offers Sisson a PWO.

Will be interesting to see how FBS schools keep border line players on the hook till they can see exactly who they want.

ytownchief22
December 21st, 2017, 01:55 PM
I like it. Earlier you can sign and enroll, the better. YSU got 2 FBS transfers so far. A TE from Ohio State and a WR from Oklahoma. Rumor is a QB is on his way over as well.

clenz
December 21st, 2017, 02:05 PM
Concerning Furman… not sure there's another FCS team that recruits almost exclusively against the military academies as much as Furman does. Clay Hendrix was a master recruiter at Air Force… and he really plucked great talent out of Georgia. A can't count how many times he sting us late on a commitment and turned them. It's great to see Furman beat Navy, Army and AFA on most of the players signed yesterday, several had offers from all three.

Not sure how the early signing period moving forward will affect Furman recruiting against Navy, Army and AFA. The academies are hard to beat no matter what the signing period.

What does concern me is - for schools Like Furman and Wofford, maybe even Richmond and Elon - I think we will see bigger schools offer preferred walk-ons to players - prior to the early signing date to not get them to sign.

Case in point Hamp Sisson a QB at Mountain Brook, AL that has several academies offers plus Wofford, and now Furman… days before the early signing period Vandy offers Sisson a PWO.

Will be interesting to see how FBS schools keep border line players on the hook till they can see exactly who they want.
It's not different than it was before. Schools have been offering PWOs to keep players on a hook until the Feb signing day.

Difference now is the FCS schools have the ability to go "You can hang on to the PWO and lose what you have with us because we'll go another direction OR you can take our offer now"

Gives the power to the smaller guys - which is why the P5 won't like it.

SU DOG
December 21st, 2017, 02:17 PM

Keep in mind also that the academies are NOT forbidden by the signed letter. They can still get a player who has signed if he later decides to accept a commission rather than the signed scholarship.

KPSUL
December 21st, 2017, 03:00 PM
You really think so? A 5'9 RB and a dime a dozen lineman with no other known offers? Maybe you're right, but I don't see it.

None of those kids who committed yesterday chose UNH over another FCS school as far as i could tell.

Oh, and UNH will never win the NC with its current staff, so you wont have to worry about that.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26834&stc=1

Try one of these - I think either one would fit you better than the one you're currently wearing.

kdinva
December 21st, 2017, 03:05 PM
VMI got six to sign.....two more commits (including one of the best HB's in Richmond) will sign on 2/7......

Jaelen Adkins, DB, 6-0, 185, Richmond, Va./Henrico
Nick Hartnett, OL, 6-3, 285, Springfield, Va./West Springfield
Ayden Jilson, OL, 6-5, 305, Fredericksburg, Va./Colonial Forge
Carter Johnson, LB/LS, 6-3, 210, Huntsville, Ala./Huntsville
Jacob Peace, OL, 6-6, 300, Berryville, Va./Clark County
Warren Dabney, DT, 6-1, 280, Farmville, Va/Fuqua school

PaladinFan
December 21st, 2017, 03:27 PM
Keep in mind also that the academies are NOT forbidden by the signed letter. They can still get a player who has signed if he later decides to accept a commission rather than the signed scholarship.

Despite recruiting directly against the academies for virtually every player, I'm not sure I've ever seen one go that route. At least not with Furman.

SU DOG
December 21st, 2017, 05:30 PM
Despite recruiting directly against the academies for virtually every player, I'm not sure I've ever seen one go that route. At least not with Furman.

I sure have seen it. http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/samford_signee_ben_tamburello.html

Mike296
December 21st, 2017, 06:43 PM
This years class is coming along quite well. Filling most of our needs and getting a couple pieces that could be in the mix for a starting role. We still have a few more targets for later but this is shaping up to be our best class in quite some time

Derby City Duke
December 21st, 2017, 07:26 PM
Interesting note to JMU's early signing class is that the DiNucci kid from Pitt is walking on, not a scholarship guy. QB competition, w/o eating a scholly, to see if Cole Johnson will really be the guy. Last time an FBS QB x-fer came to JMU it was So. Carolina's Connor Mitch -- he was supposed to compete with Schor for the job. Think Schor responded pretty well to the challenge.

WestCoastAggie
December 21st, 2017, 08:38 PM
I don't know if this fits but we landed this kid from CCU:

https://twitter.com/Maine_Dreaded/status/943893196354015233

“They’ve built a culture,” the former Conway standout said. “I’ve been up there a few times and just loved the atmosphere. Then I watched the Celebration Bowl, and definitely wanted to be a part of that.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article191120649.html

Schism55
December 21st, 2017, 09:27 PM
Interesting note to JMU's early signing class is that the DiNucci kid from Pitt is walking on, not a scholarship guy. QB competition, w/o eating a scholly, to see if Cole Johnson will really be the guy. Last time an FBS QB x-fer came to JMU it was So. Carolina's Connor Mitch -- he was supposed to compete with Schor for the job. Think Schor responded pretty well to the challenge.
Connor Mitch is terribad, lol

UNHWildcat18
December 21st, 2017, 09:48 PM

Well lets take a look here

Other offers that I could find

Dylan Laube-Brown
JJ Jerome-EWU, Montana State
Niko Kvietkus- Villanova, Army

A lot of the recruits didn't seem to have twitter or a 247 account so finding if they had other offers was difficult. One thing is that we also don't know if they are full partial or preferred walk ons. Excited to see the rest that get signed, lighten up a little matty, we could be one of the 100 fcs schools that suck ass every year and don't get to 0.500. We aren't NDSU but we aren't Marist either

Derby City Duke
December 21st, 2017, 10:54 PM
Connor Mitch is terribad, lol

xthumbsupx

Got hurt, suspended for team rule violation (which was tied to his 'injury'), and eventually left the team.

FUBeAR
December 22nd, 2017, 07:54 AM
Keep in mind also that the academies are NOT forbidden by the signed letter. They can still get a player who has signed if he later decides to accept a commission rather than the signed scholarship. I'm not disputing this because I don't know, but I'm asking, "Are you sure about this?" Do you have a link to this rule?

I do know the Academies do not use the LOI for THEIR Recruits because they don't give Athletics Scholarships...because it's "free" to go there and/or to their Prep Schools. So, that makes sense.

On the other hand, I also know that Athletes there (at the Academies 'proper,' not at the Prep Schools) have to get their Release to speak with other schools if they wish to transfer, exactly as a transfer would from any other NCAA member.

Logically, then, I would THINK they would be required to respect LOI's signed with other schools as they are an NCAA Member and they require other schools to respect their 'ownership' with their potential outbound Transfers.

If what you are saying is accurate, it's certainly not fair, IMO. The Academies are definitely challenged, to some degree, in their recruiting efforts, but the fact that they can bring in an unlimited number of "signees" every year AND they all have Prep Schools where they can 'stick' those that aren't quite ready academically (and (not "or" though - they can't put Players with very strong academics into the Prep Schools) athletically) compensates for those challenges. The only downside of their Prep School programs for them is that Players there are not bound by an LOI (or transfer rules) to stay there. They can be re-recruited after their year at the Preps. I have heard (not confirmed), at least at AF Prep, they don't make this easy though as they don't provide game videos to the kids or to other schools.

Academies are certainly unique when it comes to their NCAA participation.

kdinva
December 22nd, 2017, 07:57 AM
I don't know if this fits but we landed this kid from CCU:

https://twitter.com/Maine_Dreaded/status/943893196354015233

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/high-school/prep-football/article191120649.html

If A&T didn't get him, Liberty would of........hope this young man has a fine career @ A&T and completes his education...

PaladinNation
December 22nd, 2017, 08:03 AM
I'm not disputing this because I don't know, but I'm asking, "Are you sure about this?" Do you have a link to this rule?

I do know the Academies do not use the LOI for THEIR Recruits because they don't give Athletics Scholarships...because it's "free" to go there and/or to their Prep Schools. So, that makes sense.

On the other hand, I also know that Athletes there (at the Academies 'proper,' not at the Prep Schools) have to get their Release to speak with other schools if they wish to transfer, exactly as a transfer would from any other NCAA member.

Logically, then, I would THINK they would be required to respect LOI's signed with other schools as they are an NCAA Member and they require other schools to respect their 'ownership' with their potential outbound Transfers.

If what you are saying is accurate, it's certainly not fair, IMO. The Academies are definitely challenged, to some degree, in their recruiting efforts, but the fact that they can bring in an unlimited number of "signees" every year AND they all have Prep Schools where they can 'stick' those that aren't quite ready academically (and (not "or" though - they can't put Players with very strong academics into the Prep Schools) athletically) compensates for those challenges. The only downside of their Prep School programs for them is that Players there are not bound by an LOI (or transfer rules) to stay there. They can be re-recruited after their year at the Preps. I have heard (not confirmed), at least at AF Prep, they don't make this easy though as they don't provide game videos to the kids or to other schools.

Concerning prep school - this is where Clay has an advantage currently - most of the players in the prep school programs - CCH has recruited them. Furman signed two players in 2017 that played at AFA prep. Fingers crossed Furman has plucked one from Navy prep for 2018.

More news concerning Furman looks like two FBS quarterbacks have an interest in transferring to Furman. 6-3 236 Logan Byrd of UNC and 6-0 190 Jay Jones of GT. Either one would be a big get for the Paladins. Will be interesting to see what happens with all the transfer rumors and news in January.

SU DOG
December 22nd, 2017, 11:20 AM
I'm not disputing this because I don't know, but I'm asking, "Are you sure about this?" Do you have a link to this rule?

I am certain of this. I saw it with my own eyes, when a Samford signee was plucked by Navy a week after he signed his LOI. I'm not protesting the rule just stating it. Somewhere, there is probably a statement to this effect, but I don't care to take the time to research it. Did you read the link I posted? The article pretty much explains the deal. Again, here is that link.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/samford_signee_ben_tamburello.html

Paladin1aa
December 22nd, 2017, 11:49 AM
YSU moves up to 11 signees and includes a former Oklahoma 6'4 WR, the transfer Ohio St. TE, a 6'6, 300 Juco OL and an all star H.S. Kicker. Class is improving.

In in addition, I really like the MLB Hoak, 6'1, 225. Dad played for Ohio St and brother plays for Kentucky. They still need a QB however.

KPSUL
December 22nd, 2017, 12:06 PM

DiNucci coming to JMU without a scholarship is a bit hard to believe. He led Pitt in passing yardage so you'd have to assume he was on a scholarship. Why would he give up a scholarship to take a chance on competing for a QB job without a scholarship? Maybe he's from a very wealthy family, otherwise the kid can't be very bright.

FUBeAR
December 22nd, 2017, 12:19 PM
I am certain of this. I saw it with my own eyes, when a Samford signee was plucked by Navy a week after he signed his LOI. I'm not protesting the rule just stating it. Somewhere, there is probably a statement to this effect, but I don't care to take the time to research it. Did you read the link I posted? The article pretty much explains the deal. Again, here is that link.
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/02/samford_signee_ben_tamburello.html

Did a little research. Looks like you are correct - because they (and the Ivy League) do not participate in the LOI program, they don't have to abide by it. The contra to their non-participation is that their 'committed' athletes can sign with other schools as well. I guess that status changes once they enroll. The status is no longer 'governed' by the LOI rules, but by NCAA Transfer rules.

Herder
December 22nd, 2017, 01:14 PM
Imo, the early signing period will help lock in recruits that might otherwise waffle between Christmas and Feb 6. Lots of effort goes into saving verbals during that period. Hopefully that helps with costs and efficiency.

dewey
December 22nd, 2017, 07:07 PM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the NDSU AD being concerned about coaches becoming burned out with the revised early signing period.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4378317-bison-athletic-director-worries-about-coaching-burnout-recruiting

Dewey

Paladin1aa
December 22nd, 2017, 07:41 PM
YSU adds another Juco WR for a total of 12 signees. Final total is 1 Ohio St. transfer, 3 Jucos ,one of which was with Oklahoma a year and 8 h.s. Players. This is Bozos best class yet. However he has lost his DC brother to Bowling Green as their DC and rumor has his OC taking a yet unnamed D-1 position elsewhere .

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2017, 01:58 PM
We still haven’t announced our signing class. xlolx

clenz
December 23rd, 2017, 06:30 PM
I’ve seen probably 12-15 through social media but none official through the program. It’s just odd.....for any program outside of Cedar Falls.

Kemo
December 24th, 2017, 01:11 AM
Contrary take - as has been mentioned.

It's good for the lower levels (G5 and FCS)

Having to wait until Feb means that as the dominoes of who commits where and flips elsewhere means that bigger schools start going to their second options - who were committed elsewhere who then have spots to fill so they take their next options who were elsewhere.

Now, with the P5 schools inking 20+ kids yesterday there is very little room for late minute offers that will pull someone from somewhere else. There are fewer kids to get yanked away. We saw P5s pull kids away last minute yesterday as well (Iowa to South Dakota State on a couple I know for sure). SDSU now has time before Feb to find an option. Where as if SDSU had been counting on those kids when they went to bed that first Monday in Feb and woke up to those kids signing NLI's at Iowa they'd be more screwed

I can't tell you how many times UNI has lost kids to Iowa, Iowa State, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. very....very....very...late in the game simply beacuse their 4-5* targets end up elsewhere and they are left going "Uh....Hey, you. We kind of recruited you as a walk on but how about you get a scholarship offer now" or "You'll go from walk on to greyshirt"

This also allows gets to get into spring camp easier. Signed a NLI in December and enroll in Jan. Some kids already do this, but this makes the process easier.

Yah, this is pretty accurate.

Iowa came in a couple days before early signing day and offered a kid that verballed to SDSU back in June. Basically what happened was that Michigan flipped an Iowa recruit late who happened to play the same position as the SDSU verbal, just rated slightly higher, but with his departure it opened up that scholarship. The recruit took an extra day to make the decision, but ultimately chose the Big Ten offer.

While it sucks to lose an South Dakota kid and a SDSU legacy, it's hard to fault a teenager for exploring/committing to a different option that he didn't think was or would be a available to him until a few days left in the recruiting process.

As Clenz said, at least the Jacks have time to look for replacement options with the early signing period. A couple years ago SDSU had a player flip a day or two before signing period and that left the coaching staff scrambling to find an available talent.

Kemo
December 24th, 2017, 01:22 AM
Here is the Jackrabbit list of signees for the early period that I just exported over from sdsufans.com (http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?14569-2018-Recruiting-List) (shout out to GopherHole, who does a great job keeping the list updated throughout the year).

2018 Recruiting List

Signed Letter of Intent:

ATH/WR/TE - Michael Littleton Jr (https://twitter.com/mixed_boy_mike/status/898011214982381568)., 6'4" 210, Derby, KS - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4209720/michael-littleton)
QB/WR - J'Bore Gibbs (https://twitter.com/JBoreGibbs/status/879792280093306881), 6'3" 205, Chicago, IL (Phillips) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/5259237/jbore-gibbs)
Offers: Eastern Michigan
QB - Matt Connors (https://twitter.com/mattconnors12), 6'4" 195, Collierville, TN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4281175/matt-connors)
WR - Jayd VanDerWerff (https://mobile.twitter.com/Jaydvanderwerff?p=s), 6'2" 190, Gregory, SD - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4482324/jayd-vanderwerff)
TE - Zach Heins (https://twitter.com/zachheins), 6'6" 230, Sioux Falls, SD (Washington) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/5540212/zach-heins)
Offers: USD
TE/WR - Blake Kunz (https://twitter.com/bkunz20/status/892474552869171205), 6'5" 240, Germantown, WI - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/9512322/blake-kunz)
OG/OT - Ian Bass (https://twitter.com/Bassman7575), 6'4" 280, Rosemount, MN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4291841/ian-bass)
OG/OT - Logan Busch (https://twitter.com/Buschheavy3), 6'5" 330, Beresford, SD (Iowa Western CC (http://goreivers.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/busch_logan_5fqq)) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/7871624/logan-busch)
OG/DT - Mason McCormick (https://twitter.com/MasonLMcCormick), 6'4" 275, Sioux Falls, SD (Roosevelt) - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6132490/5823d64a7bddf70d88cd7343)
OT - Garret Greenfield (https://twitter.com/StacksOfGreen1), 6'6" 270, Rock Valley, IA - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5681182/5817dfec688ec586180b109e)
OT - Max Howard (https://twitter.com/maxhoward72), 6'7" 345, Brandon, SD (Brandon Valley) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4232813/max-howard)
DE - Ryan Kluver, 6'5" 240, Buffalo, MN - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/profile/4526453/ryan-kluver)
DE/FB - Cade Terveer (https://twitter.com/Cadeterver_33), 6'3" 240, Brandon, SD (Brandon Valley) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4232828/cade-terveer/videos)
DE/OL - Ryan Van Marel (https://twitter.com/RyanVanMarel), 6'5" 250, Sheldon, IA - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4045024/ryan-van-marel)
Offers: UNI, USD
DE/OL - Sam Willmott (https://twitter.com/SamWillmott2), 6'3" 250, Rosemount, MN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4292256/sam-willmott)
DT - Caleb Sanders, 6'2" 260, Glenwood, IA - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4206456/caleb-sanders)
DT - Trajan Walhof (https://twitter.com/TrajanWalhof), 6'5" 255, Sioux Center, IA - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4185770/583b8d94dfd8b9282c445650)
CB - Tijaih Davis, 6'0" 175, Boys Town, NE - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4443150/tijaih-davis)
CB - Nick Garlisch (https://twitter.com/nickgarlisch), 5'11" 190, St. Charles, IL - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5234051/5807f88a11fa7f6764bbe475)
Offers: Northern Michigan, UNI, UND, Southern Illinois, NDSU
CB - Clayton Hooper (https://mobile.twitter.com/claytonhooperr?p=s), 5'10" 170, Chandler, AZ (Hamilton) - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4610926/59a345e0e97a370e3c769e02)
Safety - Saiveon Williamson (https://twitter.com/_Saiveon_/status/879156277133402112), 6'1" 190, Waseca, MN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/5197586/saiveon-williamson)

PaladinFan
December 24th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Here is an article from the Fargo Forum about the NDSU AD being concerned about coaches becoming burned out with the revised early signing period.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4378317-bison-athletic-director-worries-about-coaching-burnout-recruiting

Dewey

Perhaps another unintended consequence that helps "level the field."

cx500d
December 24th, 2017, 11:44 AM
Here is the Jackrabbit list of signees for the early period that I just exported over from sdsufans.com (http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?14569-2018-Recruiting-List) (shout out to GopherHole, who does a great job keeping the list updated throughout the year).

2018 Recruiting List

Signed Letter of Intent:

ATH/WR/TE - Michael Littleton Jr (https://twitter.com/mixed_boy_mike/status/898011214982381568)., 6'4" 210, Derby, KS - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4209720/michael-littleton)
QB/WR - J'Bore Gibbs (https://twitter.com/JBoreGibbs/status/879792280093306881), 6'3" 205, Chicago, IL (Phillips) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/5259237/jbore-gibbs)
Offers: Eastern Michigan
QB - Matt Connors (https://twitter.com/mattconnors12), 6'4" 195, Collierville, TN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4281175/matt-connors)
WR - Jayd VanDerWerff (https://mobile.twitter.com/Jaydvanderwerff?p=s), 6'2" 190, Gregory, SD - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4482324/jayd-vanderwerff)
TE - Zach Heins (https://twitter.com/zachheins), 6'6" 230, Sioux Falls, SD (Washington) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/5540212/zach-heins)
Offers: USD
TE/WR - Blake Kunz (https://twitter.com/bkunz20/status/892474552869171205), 6'5" 240, Germantown, WI - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/9512322/blake-kunz)
OG/OT - Ian Bass (https://twitter.com/Bassman7575), 6'4" 280, Rosemount, MN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4291841/ian-bass)
OG/OT - Logan Busch (https://twitter.com/Buschheavy3), 6'5" 330, Beresford, SD (Iowa Western CC (http://goreivers.com/sports/fball/2017-18/bios/busch_logan_5fqq)) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/7871624/logan-busch)
OG/DT - Mason McCormick (https://twitter.com/MasonLMcCormick), 6'4" 275, Sioux Falls, SD (Roosevelt) - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6132490/5823d64a7bddf70d88cd7343)
OT - Garret Greenfield (https://twitter.com/StacksOfGreen1), 6'6" 270, Rock Valley, IA - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5681182/5817dfec688ec586180b109e)
OT - Max Howard (https://twitter.com/maxhoward72), 6'7" 345, Brandon, SD (Brandon Valley) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4232813/max-howard)
DE - Ryan Kluver, 6'5" 240, Buffalo, MN - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/profile/4526453/ryan-kluver)
DE/FB - Cade Terveer (https://twitter.com/Cadeterver_33), 6'3" 240, Brandon, SD (Brandon Valley) - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4232828/cade-terveer/videos)
DE/OL - Ryan Van Marel (https://twitter.com/RyanVanMarel), 6'5" 250, Sheldon, IA - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4045024/ryan-van-marel)
Offers: UNI, USD
DE/OL - Sam Willmott (https://twitter.com/SamWillmott2), 6'3" 250, Rosemount, MN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4292256/sam-willmott)
DT - Caleb Sanders, 6'2" 260, Glenwood, IA - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4206456/caleb-sanders)
DT - Trajan Walhof (https://twitter.com/TrajanWalhof), 6'5" 255, Sioux Center, IA - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4185770/583b8d94dfd8b9282c445650)
CB - Tijaih Davis, 6'0" 175, Boys Town, NE - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/4443150/tijaih-davis)
CB - Nick Garlisch (https://twitter.com/nickgarlisch), 5'11" 190, St. Charles, IL - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/video/3/5234051/5807f88a11fa7f6764bbe475)
Offers: Northern Michigan, UNI, UND, Southern Illinois, NDSU
CB - Clayton Hooper (https://mobile.twitter.com/claytonhooperr?p=s), 5'10" 170, Chandler, AZ (Hamilton) - HUDL (https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4610926/59a345e0e97a370e3c769e02)
Safety - Saiveon Williamson (https://twitter.com/_Saiveon_/status/879156277133402112), 6'1" 190, Waseca, MN - HUDL (http://www.hudl.com/profile/5197586/saiveon-williamson)

Damn, you signed two guys from my alma mater....I'm going to need to talk to the coach.....

Kemo
December 24th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Damn, you signed two guys from my alma mater....I'm going to need to talk to the coach.....

Brandon Valley?

cx500d
December 24th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Brandon Valley?

Rosemount

Catbooster
December 24th, 2017, 05:07 PM
The Bobcats had 16 early signees: 7 MT High School, 5 Out of state High School, 4 mid-season transfers

http://msubobcats.com/news/2017/12/20/montana-state-football-adds-16-on-december-early-signing-day.aspx if you're interested in more info

Kemo
December 24th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Rosemount
Ah, got it. Skimmed the hometowns and didn't notice the double Rosemount.

Catatonic
December 25th, 2017, 07:09 AM
ACU has signed 13 mid year transfers with a couple more to come.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DRhulNhUIAAl5hJ?format=jpg&name=large

cx500d
December 25th, 2017, 09:04 AM
Ah, got it. Skimmed the hometowns and didn't notice the double Rosemount.

Rosemount used to be an NDSU town with people like Zach Vraa and Dimitri Williams, so I am going to complain to the coach.

KPSUL
December 25th, 2017, 06:13 PM
ACU has signed 13 mid year transfers with a couple more to come.

How many years of eligibility do the 2 year college transfers get? Assuming they played 2 year at a community or junior college do they only get two when transferring to the Div1 FCS level?

ST_Lawson
December 25th, 2017, 07:20 PM
How many years of eligibility do the 2 year college transfers get? Assuming they played 2 year at a community or junior college do they only get two when transferring to the Div1 FCS level?

Yes, if they play two years, then they come in as a "Junior" and have two years of eligibility left. If they redshirted then played a year at a JUCO, then they're "Sophomore" and get three. Essentially, JUCO/CC years count just like DI/DII/DIII years do.

They do not, however, have to sit out a year between the JUCO and the DI school.

clenz
December 26th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Yah, this is pretty accurate.

Iowa came in a couple days before early signing day and offered a kid that verballed to SDSU back in June. Basically what happened was that Michigan flipped an Iowa recruit late who happened to play the same position as the SDSU verbal, just rated slightly higher, but with his departure it opened up that scholarship. The recruit took an extra day to make the decision, but ultimately chose the Big Ten offer.

While it sucks to lose an South Dakota kid and a SDSU legacy, it's hard to fault a teenager for exploring/committing to a different option that he didn't think was or would be a available to him until a few days left in the recruiting process.

As Clenz said, at least the Jacks have time to look for replacement options with the early signing period. A couple years ago SDSU had a player flip a day or two before signing period and that left the coaching staff scrambling to find an available talent.
It's terrible. Hell, Josey Jewell - one of the best LBs in the country - was stolen by Iowa on signing day from a D3 in his hometown of Decorah. Literally no one had offered him, Iowa lost a guy the day before and on signing day "Want a scholarship?" and the rest is history. The number of 3 star guys UNI has lost to Iowa is....just....unreal. It's part of the reason UNI wants Iowa to do well, but not too well. In a perfect world Iowa State continues to ignore the state of Iowa(which I've never understood. They don't recruit Iowa at all really). Iowa would be like a 8-4 team every year. 7-5 starts to get into danger area and 9-3 or 10-2 or better gets into walk on status.

At 7-5 or worse on a yearly basis (probably 6-6 is a better example) Iowa's national recruiting starts to dwindle. They are forced to look more regionally. They start fighting with Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri 3* recruits with programs like Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, etc... as their main source of recruits which leaves them also recruiting guys that UNI is going after. This means when the back up plan is needed it's easier to grab those guys away from UNI, SDSU, USD, Illinois State, etc...

At 9-3 or 10-2 each year Iowa has enough national draw to recruit nation wide and grab 4* kids to fill their roster. This means 3 things for UNI:
1. 95% of the regional guys UNI goes after aren't touched by Iowa until real late in the cycle given UNI tons of time to build up recruits. The problem is that Iowa needs back ups for when they lose on recruits and regional guys, especially Iowa guys, are easy targets because the draw to play at Iowa with the B1G patch on the chest is a big draw
2. Iowa is fighting with Wisconsin, Nebraska, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, etc... for recruits. When they lose those guys see number 1. It's still the Iowa guys that are the back ups rather than the direct recruits. The hope is UNI has built a strong enough bond with them before Iowa comes calling, but for many in Iowa it's tough to pass on playing for the Hawkeyes
3. Iowa becomes a very attractive walk on destination for Iowa kids. Sure a kid could be a FCS All American/All MVFC but he has a chance to wear the Tigerhawk, in Kinnick Stadium, where he watched dozens of games in person and maybe dreamed of playing for most his life. To get a chance to be a part of that, on the field, for an Iowa team that is 10-2 and a top 15 ranked team? That's a hell of a walk on opportunity.

At 7-5 to 8-4 Iowa has enough draw to recruit regionally well enough that Iowa kids aren't recruited except as emergency roles. With an early signing period UNI, SDSU, USD, Illinois State, etc.. have more of a chance to lock up the early commits before Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, etc... has a chance to lose their kids and come for ours. Being the first year of this I could be wrong. For all I know - and those I've seen - UNI didn't sign any/very few Iowa kids early. All of the kids I've seen are Wisconsin, Washington, Minnesota, Florida, Missouri, etc...

However, that could largely be due to the B10 using the early period to fill their recruiting classes. Iowa signed 15, Michigan 24, etc... There aren't really many spots left. It's possible that UNI was willing to wait out the early signing period knowing everyone else was trying to go full class in December and they'd still have a haul come February.

To be fair FCS schools do it to FCS schools. A few years back UNI lost a kid to Iowa on signing day so at like noon on signing day UNI offered a 75% ride to Isaac Ales (who ended up being an All Conference DE at UNI). Ales was committed to USD on a 100% scholarships. Ales signed with UNI in the final hours of signing day.

clenz
December 26th, 2017, 09:35 AM
UNI still hasn't put out a full release...for some reason....but the list of guys known to have signed NLIs

One thing I've noticed putting this list together - many states are just god awful at reporting stats, or putting stats anyway. I thought Iowa did a poor job, but we have a state wide stats database that is required of schools to do - for all sports. Finding stuff on many of these kids is tough as ****

Jevon Brekke - Minneapolis, MN - DeLaSalle HS
6'3 190lb ATH played WR, RB, LB and SS in HS. Probably a SS at UNI.
As a senior, in 8 games, he carried the ball 56 times for 512 yards (9.1 ypc) for 4 TD. Had 22 receptions for 282 yards and 2 TD. He played 5 games on defense with 33 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 2 INT and 1 PBU.
Also recruited/offered by Minnesota, Navy*, Indiana State*, Columbia*, South Dakota*, North Dakota*

Taj Moffett - Tacoma, WA - Curtis Senior HS - http://www.hudl.com/profile/4788634/taj-moffett5'11 170lb WR/CB - probably a CB at UNI but not sure
As a senior he was first team all league DB, 2nd team all league WR and All-State game nominee. He'a apparently a state champ sprinter runs the 100 in the 10s and long jumps 23'. None of his listed stats seem to hold up when watching film because...well...he has more than than those all in his film
Also recruited by Idaho, PSU, EWU.
Sam Ingoli - Des Moines, IA - Dowling Catholic - http://www.hudl.com/profile/6066412/sam-ingoli6'5 200lb WR - will be a WR at UNI.
37 catches 913 yards 13 TD as a senior. Athletic freak. 3* basketball recruit that didn't know which sport to play. FB coaches were shy to offer because they thought he'd go basketball and basketball coaches thought he'd go football. Also never was able to dedicate full time to either one.

Trevon Alexander - Richmond, MO - Richmond HS - https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4730609/59c7d928235212122070f26c
6'1 195lb ATH - likely a FS or monster back
As a senior had 84 tackes, 3 picks, 1 forced fumble and 2 fumble recoveries on defense. First team all Missouri on defense Played RB as well, but I can't find rushing numbers from his senior season. His film looksl ike he had over 600-800 yards and probably 8-10 TD with a probably 800ish receiving yards. His sophomore and JR years rushing numbers were 1250 yards on 193 carries 6.5 ypc with 26 TD and 1215 recieving yards on 65 catches (18.7 ypc) with 19 TD.
Also recruited by Memphis, Notre Dame, not active on social media so other than posting photos from visits it's not real known who he was looking at. Memphis appears to have been his other option

RJ Clarke - Milwaukee, WI - St Francis HS - https://www.hudl.com/profile/5004706/rj-clarke
6'4 265lb DL
65 tackles, 20 TFL......Wisconsin is as bad as I've seen for tracking HS stats - any sport. UNI recruits this state heavily for football and basketball. Stats are almost impossible to actually find.
Also offered by Illinois State, South Dakota State, Western Illinois, Iowa (walk on)

Caden Hougtellig - Cambridge, NE - Cambridge HS - https://www.hudl.com/profile/4938645/caden-houghtelling
6'5 230lb TE
27 receptions 377 yards (14 ypc) 4 TD in 8 games...doesn't sound like much but that is 65% of his teams air production. Played for a team that ran the ball 363 times for 2,4000 yards (300 per game) and 44 TD in 8 games. No other player had more than 5 catches or 1 TD.
Also Recreuited by - Nebraska (walk on), Wyoming, NDSU, SDSU...committed very early and ended his recruitment

Jayden Scott - Omaha, NE - Concordia High - http://www.hudl.com/profile/4406644/jayden-scott
6'5 240lb TE
Played QB in high school and will move to TE at UNI.
Also recruited by South Dakota, South Dakota State, Iowa (walk on), Nebraska (walk on)...very early UNI commit and ended his recruiting by summer time

Tim Butcher - Manson, IA - Manson-Northwest Webster HW - Iowa Central CC
6'3 310 lb DT
High school teammate of 2 years starting LT Cal Twait at UNI. JUCO All American last season with 80 tackles - how the **** is that even a thing for a DT? Looks like a 40 year old farmer build like a brick **** house already
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/364518381048823813/393408426367123476/DRh3OKPVQAEDgbL.png?width=750&height=500

I have no idea who else/what else is out there from the earlier period. With no press release from UNI it's impossible to know. I know of about 5-6 others from out of the state of Iowa that UNI is in heavy on, but without them signing an NLI, or having known to have signed one I'm not listing them.