PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recruiting Needs 2018 - PATSIES

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2017, 02:13 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/12/with-early-signing-period-approaching.html

With early signing day approaching, I posted on what I thought the recruiting needs were for each Patriot League school. Comments are welcome, and encouraged, and since I will be using these ratings eventually to determine needs for the Patsy Ratings, now is the time to look at them and comment.

carney2
December 18th, 2017, 02:47 PM
With 6 wins in the last 3 years it can be argued that Lafayette needs everything. I'll give it a try in the hopes that others jump in and make corrections.

1. OL - And not just one or two.
2. RB - Some like the freshman from this fall. I'd like more - and better.
3. WR - A someone or two who will be a deep threat.
4. QB - Personally, I was not overly impressed with the freshman who took almost all the snaps this year. Also, not impressed with the head coach/OC's handling of the herd of QB candidates he had at his disposal.

All offense from me for a team that had none in 2017.

carney2
December 18th, 2017, 03:07 PM
Also, Lafayette - this will be John Garrett's moment of truth. IF he's the recruiter that he showed in the month or so he had available last year, and IF he isn't cast in the same mold as the rest of the Patriot League recruiters, he ought to bring in a really good group this time around.

Lehigh'98
December 18th, 2017, 03:14 PM
There's too much to list for Lehigh. A complete defense. I have no idea how many legitimate D1 defensive starters we actually have on the roster at this point. I didn't see many out there this year.

Colgate Raider Redux
December 18th, 2017, 03:48 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2017/12/with-early-signing-period-approaching.html

With early signing day approaching, I posted on what I thought the recruiting needs were for each Patriot League school. Comments are welcome, and encouraged, and since I will be using these ratings eventually to determine needs for the Patsy Ratings, now is the time to look at them and comment.
Your Colgate assessment doesn't reflect the medical redshirts returning in each segment that you cite as a need. This is readily available information if you were making any effort at accuracy. http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2017/10/26/football-hunt-recognizing-16-raider-seniors.aspx?path=football

I'd assume similar sketchy research was done at all of the schools. Perhaps the other schools' inaccuracies won't distort as much ? In Colgate's case, it's a complete distortion. No need to hide it: almost the entire 2017 team on both sides of the ball are returning. As important, a large number of young players on the 2-deep got a lot of playing time because of intra-season injuries. They're all returning, providing some seasoned depth bolstering the starters, especially receivers and D across the board. Adding some key OL and DL would strengthen depth in 2017. These additions would also facititate smooth transitions in these key areas beyond 2017.
Really embarrassing statement on your product.
Why waste everyone's time ?

bison137
December 18th, 2017, 04:06 PM
My take on Bucknell's areas of need:

1. CB - they graduate one starter and the top reserve. But not safety - where they are loaded with returnees.

2. DT - graduate PL DPOY Abdullah Anderson, one of only three legitimate DT's on the roster - and the other two had season-ending injuries. They were forced into a 3-3-5 due to lack of DT's.

3. WR or QB - graduated two of the four WR's who saw action this year; they return one of the two starting QB's but he is not a difference-maker.

LB is not a major position of need, even though they graduate two All-PL players. But they return: (a) freshman LB Simeon Page, who made All-PL as a frosh, with 9 sacks as a part-time player; (b) soph Sam Chitty, who started games at LB as a frosh before being injured; (c) junior Matt Robinson, who has lettered three times at LB; and (d) frosh Rick Mottram, who was one of their top recruits and earned a letter.

RB also isn't a major position of need, although they need to add someone for depth. Chad Freshnock, notwithstanding the comment in the article, was only a soph this year. He led the team in rushing yards and in TD's. Also frosh RB Marquis Carter looked good in limited play, and junior Omar Garcia has lettered both years he was healthy.

As for medical redshirts, the Bucknell administration does not allow them - so that is not an issue at all. The last medical redshirt player was more than 15 years ago.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Your Colgate assessment doesn't reflect the medical redshirts returning in each segment that you cite as a need. This is readily available information if you were making any effort at accuracy. http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2017/10/26/football-hunt-recognizing-16-raider-seniors.aspx?path=football
I'd assume a similar sketchy research was done at all of the schools. Perhaps the other schools' inaccuracies won't matter as much ? In Colgate's case, it's a complete distortion. No need to hide it: almost the entire 2017 team on both sides of the ball are returning. As important, a large number of young players on the 2-deep got a lot of playing time because of intra-season injuries. They're all returning, providing some seasoned depth. Adding some key OL and DL strengthen depth in 2017. These additions would also facititate smooth transitions beyond 2017.

If you think it's a waste of time, you can 1) choose not to read it and/or 2) make your own. Alternatively I could just do 6/7 and ignore Colgate completely, like the rest of the nation. Your call.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 18th, 2017, 05:55 PM

1. CB - they graduate one starter and the top reserve. But not safety - where they are loaded with returnees.

2. DT - graduate PL DPOY Abdullah Anderson, one of only three legitimate DT's on the roster - and the other two had season-ending injuries. They were forced into a 3-3-5 due to lack of DT's.

3. WR or QB - graduated two of the four WR's who saw action this year; they return one of the two starting QB's but he is not a difference-maker.

LB is not a major position of need, even though they graduate two All-PL players. But they return: (a) freshman LB Simeon Page, who made All-PL as a frosh, with 9 sacks as a part-time player; (b) soph Sam Chitty, who started games at LB as a frosh before being injured; (c) junior Matt Robinson, who has lettered three times at LB; and (d) frosh Rick Mottram, who was one of their top recruits and earned a letter.

RB also isn't a major position of need, although they need to add someone for depth. Chad Freshnock, notwithstanding the comment in the article, was only a soph this year. He led the team in rushing yards and in TD's. Also frosh RB Marquis Carter looked good in limited play, and junior Omar Garcia has lettered both years he was healthy.

As for medical redshirts, the Bucknell administration does not allow them - so that is not an issue at all. The last medical redshirt player was more than 15 years ago.

Sorry about Freshnock, I mixed him up with DeFloria. I made the edit.

RichH2
December 18th, 2017, 06:39 PM

I'd assume similar sketchy research was done at all of the schools. Perhaps the other schools' inaccuracies won't distort as much ? In Colgate's case, it's a complete distortion. No need to hide it: almost the entire 2017 team on both sides of the ball are returning. As important, a large number of young players on the 2-deep got a lot of playing time because of intra-season injuries. They're all returning, providing some seasoned depth bolstering the starters, especially receivers and D across the board. Adding some key OL and DL would strengthen depth in 2017. These additions would also facititate smooth transitions in these key areas beyond 2017.

LFN is asking fans for their opinions on recruiting needs. He is just posting a starting point for those discussions. If he meant it as the be all and end all of that issue he wouldnt be asking for input. He does this every year. Rather than sniping at his post why not answer his request.

RichH2
December 18th, 2017, 06:54 PM
Lehigh
1. DTs
2.WR tall please
3. RB Dom and Micco are Srs
4. OL lost 3 All PL guys
Even losing Casey and Pelletier we are well stocked.
D a catastrophe so better talent up front essential. DL and LBs
2ndary well stocked albeit it very young. Experience will help I hope.
LBs also very young but athletic. A stud would be nice.
Altho on a side note, a coach who could teach these guys how to tackle is my #1 request :)

bison137
December 18th, 2017, 08:56 PM

I forgot to mention that Bucknell uses a 4-2-5 almost exclusively, so they are in good shape at LB with the four returning LB's mentioned above having to fill two spots.

RichH2
December 18th, 2017, 09:49 PM
I forgot to mention that Bucknell uses a 4-2-5 almost exclusively, so they are in good shape at LB with the four returning LB's mentioned above having to fill two spots.

Now , if only LU could get one of your D assts to show our guys how to tackle and play in a 4-2. :)

Gater
December 18th, 2017, 11:39 PM
He's asking for help putting together team needs. "Taking a stab" at what he thinks team needs are. He isn't saying that his is a definitive list and looking for input. There are plenty of Colgate fans who don't know who is coming back on the O line or who got medical redshirts--I certainly don't know and I spend entirely too much time reading about Colgate football--just ask my wife.

That being said, I have to agree that Colgate is short on "needs" at this point--I can't recall a Colgate team being this deep, with as many people coming back. The O-line could be on the thin side (though starting center Hartzman coming back from injury is huge, plus Berkowitz would have probably started this year if not injured and starting guard Hirshman getting an extra year should help). RB is loaded. No one graduates and Colgate will have a senior, junior, and sophomore who all rushed for over 100 yards in a game last year. Holland (who is getting a fifth year) is a great back who will put up big numbers is he stays healthy.

QB has a sophomore who was one of the top ten freshmen in the country. His back ups are a junior and a senior who are both three star recruits who have looked capable in games.

LB gets back the nation's leading tackler through three games (he got injured in the fourth).

Both corners are all PL. One is going to be a junior.

WR, TE, LB, S, are all pretty deep. I'd say the team could use a corner and maybe a DL but it's honestly hard to assign need. Even the punter and kicker are very good.

The team has very few people graduating and a bunch of starters coming back from injury. They may not win a game, but on paper they look set up to be strong for the next few years.

If I had to pick needs, I'd go OL, DL, Corner--but the only thing I know for sure is that Colgate's class will be low rated and I'll complain about it.

Thanks to LFN and anyone else who helps with these.

Go...gate
December 19th, 2017, 02:16 AM
Everybody in the conference has a lot of work to do, including Colgate. The Red Raiders have some talent coming back but we are by no means dominant.

CFBfan
December 19th, 2017, 06:25 AM

don't be douche!

Doc QB
December 19th, 2017, 08:42 AM
A whole new defensive staff would be a start. The lack of change is mystifying, disappointing, and sad. Three offensive kids in the top six nationally (qb,rb, wr) and best we do with special talent is a losing season and getting smoked by a CAA team that with half a defense, we have a chance.

Watch the Stony Brook website highlights of game. We lose the edge routinely (so, we need real DE or better coaching). The DBs were atrocious. Interception hitting u in hands and dropped. Three times a RB pinned on the sideline and instead of hitting him, trying to softly push him out of bounds--and three times ran thru that and got big yards. DBs turning the wrong way on post patterns with no real move even being made, losing position, and giving huge pass plays to very average WRs. Some coverage breakdowns on big plays to TE where u can not even decipher what the coverage even was (one looked like man-free-robber...which i never saw in my days).

it aint all youth. Its talent and coaching. What we really need is he latter or we dont grow as a program at LU.

Colgate Raider Redux
December 19th, 2017, 09:04 AM
LFN is asking fans for their opinions on recruiting needs. He is just posting a starting point for those discussions. If he meant it as the be all and end all of that issue he wouldnt be asking for input. He does this every year. Rather than sniping at his post why not answer his request.

Rich, thanks for the clarification. I did mistakenly interpret LFN's post as a “be all and end all.” I actually didn't focus on LFN's invitation: "Comments are welcome, and encouraged" My bad.
Admittedly, the Colgate situation may be a bit more complicated to accurately interpret. An unusually high number of medical red shirts have been planned. And a couple of pre-2017 season starters, that have been outside of the radar due to injury, are coming back from missing an entire season. These two variables will continue to keep the situation murky up to the beginning of the 2018 season. I'll drill down here on the areas of need identified by LFN and add one more to consider.

Running back: definitely not an area of immediate need. Although not a 2018 need area, the inclusion of the rb area demonstrates how medical redshirts and "returns from season long injuries" adds to uncertainty in forecasting needs in specific areas. James Holland ( 722 yds. on 128 carries for 5.8 ypc avg. ), ‘gate’s stongest back, coming back in 2018 via a medical redshirt is a big deal. This sustains the successful 2017 three-headed monster. This group is well within the “traditional Colgate power back tradition.” Each is 5' 8-9 " and 205 to 210 pounds. Complementing Holland are rising sophomore Malik Twyman ( 263 yds. on 58 for 4.8 ypc avg. ) and rising junior Alex Mathews ( 578 yds on 130 for 4.4 ypc avg ). The potentially 4th “rotating starter” Keyon Washington hasn’t clarified whether he’ll exercise his medical redshirt in 2018 after missing the entire 2017 season. Keyon was a rotating starter in the 2016 season responsible for 765 yards and seven touchdowns via 155 rushing attempts. With Keyon as more of a durable speed back ( 5' 8" 180 pounds ) his multiple talents ( inside-outside-receiver out of the backfield ) provides a complementary change-up with the other 3 backs. This four-some of backs potentially leverages the traditional Colgate playbook. I don’t know whether there are additional game-ready back-ups who might emerge from the reserves or recruits that round out the broader running back group.
Defensive Line: not an area of immediate need; but an additional quality reserve or 2 might add some value. Colgate plays three down linemen in a 3-4-4 D. Intra-season injuries to Afriye and other starters broadened the experience of the returning members of the DL group, each of which started a game or two. Collectively this 2018 two-deep possesses a great deal of game experience: All-PL Nick Wheeler( 6'2" 245 ), Cam Rohr ( 6'2" 315 ), Jacob Esarco ( 6'4" 280 ), Chuck Moore ( 6'4" 265 ), Caleb Fell ( 6'3" 265 ) and Abdoul Kouyate ( 6'3" 235 ). At least half of this group will play both nose guard and/or defensive end, depending on the situation. They are backed up further by 3 rising sophomores who saw limited playing time: Sam Jennings ( 6'5" 225 ), Owen Rosenberger ( 6'4" 240 ) and Hunter Gossman ( 6'3" 245 ). Afriye and back up Connor Buck are the two graduating seniors. Among the 13 recruits for 2018 who have given verbals so far, 4 are listed as OL/DL (6'4" 270, 6'4" 268, 6'4" 275 and 6'2" 260 .) One is listed as DL/LB ( 6'4" 250 ). It's unknown whether these recruits or the 3 rising sophomores mentioned will provide any more game-ready depth to this group.
Offensive Line: an area that requires tweaking to add depth; Potentially tricky ? The loss via graduation of line bulwarks tackle Ryan Paulish and guard Andy Simms is probably the most significant work-around for the 2018 season. The return of starters, tackle Jovaun Woolford ( 6'5" 290), guard Jack Badovinac ( 6'2" 280 ) with occasional-starter, guard Sam Diehl ( 6'3" 285 ) are the beginning of the new core. This is further bolstered by medical redshirts provided to returning starters guard Scoot Hirshman ( 6'3" 290 ) and center-jack-of-all-trades Max Hartrzman ( 6'3" 290 ). This starting group may be bolstered by the return of tackle Louie Berkowitz ( 6'2" 285 ). After starting a game as a freshman in 2016, Louie missed the entire 2017 season with an injury. His status still remains under the radar. Two concerns: 1. It's not certain that the redshirts will return without a glitch and whether Berkowitz can return to form from his injury. 2. The OL group will clearly need more depth to become a reliable two deep. Among the 5 signed OL recruits, 6' 4" 275 Mike Griggs is likely to impact the 2 deep. Recruiting for the OL is not complete for the 2018 season. In addition to the verbal recruits mentioned above, game ready depth might emerge from the additional OL reserves that have virtually no game experience: Will Varble ( 6'3' 275 ), Charlie Holsopple ( 6'5" 275 ) and Alex Sargiss ( 6'2" 250 ).
Defensive Backs: Can never have enough talented DB's, especially with 'gate's o.o.c. schedule The return via medical redshirt of ALL-PL SS and co-captain Alec Wisniewski assures the return of the complete 2017 defensive backfield. With the return of ALL-PL corners, Abu Daramy-Swaray and Tyler Costillo, the first team takes on an elite character. The opportunity for the rest of the two-deep to become elite will come from two sources. One is the three reserves with game experience from the pool of 8 db reserves.More promising are the three 2018 signed highly touted db recruits. From this group, Collin Heard 5'10" 175, a lock-down corner out of West Bloomfield, Mi is likely to crack the 2 deep and challenge for playing time immediately. J.T. Hower 5'10 170 of Kennett Square Pa and Will Gruber 5'10" of Hermitage Pa also look promising.

We should monitor whether/how players follow up on their medical redshirt opportunities. We should also monitor how players returning from injuries, especially serious and longer duration ones, are able to adapt. The good news for Colgate is potentially a riches of return talent. The bad news is that this will not be totally settled until next year's preseason camp.

Go...gate
December 19th, 2017, 11:05 AM

Why waste everyone's time?

No need for this, Raider Redux. We're all friends here.

RichH2
December 19th, 2017, 11:07 AM
No need for this, Raider Redux. We're all friends here.
Quite true, well most of the time :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 19th, 2017, 07:14 PM
A whole new defensive staff would be a start. The lack of change is mystifying, disappointing, and sad. Three offensive kids in the top six nationally (qb,rb, wr) and best we do with special talent is a losing season and getting smoked by a CAA team that with half a defense, we have a chance.

Watch the Stony Brook website highlights of game. We lose the edge routinely (so, we need real DE or better coaching). The DBs were atrocious. Interception hitting u in hands and dropped. Three times a RB pinned on the sideline and instead of hitting him, trying to softly push him out of bounds--and three times ran thru that and got big yards. DBs turning the wrong way on post patterns with no real move even being made, losing position, and giving huge pass plays to very average WRs. Some coverage breakdowns on big plays to TE where u can not even decipher what the coverage even was (one looked like man-free-robber...which i never saw in my days).

it aint all youth. Its talent and coaching. What we really need is he latter or we dont grow as a program at LU.

I can't get over the fact that there hasn't been a single change made on defense. How can the AD, Sterrett, not force Coen's hand at least a little bit? The defense was literally the worst in Lehigh history and I think a legitimate case could be made for it being the worst in PL history! It's combination of terrible coaching and subpar personnel. So basically it's about the terrible coaching. There is simply a dearth of talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. The DL recruits have been abysmal. Nace is the only guy I see that physically looks the part of a solid interior linemen. Harrison Kaufman should be playing at Delaware Valley. No wonder he left Big Sky Country for Lehigh. There's 12 year olds in Montana bigger than him! He might have got a shot at D2 Carroll College in Helena.

I give the secondary some leeway. They were hit hard by injury and were simply asked to do much. The unit was forced to help in run support WAY too much. If I were them I might have become less enthused about tackling RB's coming out you with a head steam week after week because the front 7 sucks. At some points there clearly said "F This". Jones had zero business playing in the box like he was forced to do. I really liked Kareem Montgomery but like Jones he was asked to do too much. As a group the secondary's coverage skills were above average but as you said their ball skills were subpar.

I honestly don't see how the defense is any better next year. The front 7 will once against be physically weak and the coaching will obviously continue to suck. Next year will be 6 seasons of dreadful D....

Lehigh'98
December 19th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I can't get over the fact that there hasn't been a single change made on defense. How can the AD, Sterrett, not force Coen's hand at least a little bit? The defense was literally the worst in Lehigh history and I think a legitimate case could be made for it being the worst in PL history! It's combination of terrible coaching and subpar personnel. So basically it's about the terrible coaching. There is simply a dearth of talent on the defensive side of the ball right now. The DL recruits have been abysmal. Nace is the only guy I see that physically looks the part of a solid interior linemen. Harrison Kaufman should be playing at Delaware Valley. No wonder he left Big Sky Country for Lehigh. There's 12 year olds in Montana bigger than him! He might have got a shot at D2 Carroll College in Helena.

I give the secondary some leeway. They were hit hard by injury and were simply asked to do much. The unit was forced to help in run support WAY too much. If I were them I might have become less enthused about tackling RB's coming out you with a head steam week after week because the front 7 sucks. At some points there clearly said "F This". Jones had zero business playing in the box like he was forced to do. I really liked Kareem Montgomery but like Jones he was asked to do too much. As a group the secondary's coverage skills were above average but as you said their ball skills were subpar.

I honestly don't see how the defense is any better next year. The front 7 will once against be physically weak and the coaching will obviously continue to suck. Next year will be 6 seasons of dreadful D....

Me thinks there will be some changes coming soon on defense.

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2017, 06:17 AM
This is a long off-season as far as Georgetown goes. The Hoyas have lost 10 straight, 18 of 19, and will lose upwards of 30 players to graduation and attrition. Georgetown returns five starters on offense and six on defense and faces a schedule which they will not be favored in any game next season. The campus newspaper has already put post-season heat on coach Rob Sgarlata for the team's record (11-33 in four years).

Needs? Plenty, but here are three:

1. RB. Georgetown's leading running back, senior Alex Valles, rushed for 183 yards last season. Not in a game, but the entire season. After the opening game versus Campbell, he averaged 13.6 yards per game. The leading returning RB for 2018, rising senior Carl Thomas, had just 95 yards in 2017 and 103 yards in his career. It's nearly prohibitive for Georgetown to win without a running game and they haven't had serious RB talent since the 1990's. The depth is non-existent.

2. OL: Georgetown loses three starters in a line that was beaten up all season and whose offense averaged 2.7 yards per carry. The Hoyas are small up front, with just two linemen over 300 and one as small as 244.

3. QB: This position is falling into the trap of a decade ago when Kevin Kelly's staff once kept rotating though the depth chart and hoped for the best. Tim Barnes was ineffective but is graduating, Clay Norris was ineffective and is a rising senior, and Gunther Johnson was ineffective once defenses starting watching game film. What next? The Hoyas' QB from 2016 (Brock Johnson) transferred to UC-Davis, and junior Jowan Watson has not seen time in three seasons. Does Georgetown load up on more high-AI, low impact quarterbacks once again? Any success at QB is heavily dependent on a capable offensive coordinator, a position that publicly remains unfilled after GU cut its with Michael Neuberger at season's end. Rob Sgarlata is a defensive coach so it's unlikely he'd add the OC role as well, but they need help.

Neighbor2
December 20th, 2017, 06:54 AM
My expectations of improvement by Lehigh and the rest of the Patriot League have been tamped WAY down. Would be nice to feel excited about the coming season, but, I just can't do it. Regardless, Merry Christmas and a HappIER New Year to all.

RichH2
December 20th, 2017, 07:53 AM
My expectations of improvement by Lehigh and the rest of the Patriot League have been tamped WAY down. Would be nice to feel excited about the coming season, but, I just can't do it. Regardless, Merry Christmas and a HappIER New Year to all.

Not quite as sanguine about PL prospects but national relevance looks to be a work in progress.
I concur and wish all here a Merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Fordham
December 20th, 2017, 08:42 AM
There is no question that our needs are on both lines (OL, DL) and then I would say DB as our third given the LB's we have coming back. We lose Anderson and Chase but those have already been addressed with the Indiana transfer QB who should step in and freshman RB Davis, who played very well when Chase was injured. It's all about the lines. The interesting thing for us will be to see who signs given there's no HC

Go...gate
December 20th, 2017, 03:12 PM
Take heart, PL brothers and sisters. It could be 1994. We'll be all right.

Lehigh Football Nation
December 20th, 2017, 03:16 PM
I am going to revise my original post with some of the input from here (which will end up being how the Patsies are based). I'm also planning on doing an overall recruiting thing tonight listing all the recruits that committed today for all the PL schools (sort of a renewal of my "Patriot League Big Board" I used to do).

van
December 20th, 2017, 06:12 PM
my opinion on the top needs for this class:

1. DL, best DL graduated along with 2 other starters, DT specifically

2. RB, only one underclassmen and 2 seniors returning

3. LB, even though we run a 4-2, over half the LBs will be Srs next year, gotta have some LB numbers in this class or the wheels fall off in 2019

4. QB, Mayes a SR next year and have no idea if the 2 back ups are ready to step in

5. DB, we have numbers there but I was not impressed by what happened this year, albeit there were a lot of starters injured

6. WR and OL, quality WRs coming back but only 2 in last years class and OL had good depth this year but losing 3 high quality starters

DFW HOYA
December 20th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Take heart, PL brothers and sisters. It could be 1994. We'll be all right.

1994 wasn't so bad--the Hoyas won five games that year.

RichH2
December 20th, 2017, 07:56 PM
1994 wasn't so bad--the Hoyas won five games that year.
Ah for the good old days :)

ngineer
December 21st, 2017, 10:48 PM

Gotta disagree on Lehigh's needs. yes, DL, but decent sized LB 's are a close second. Defense, defense, defense is what wins championships and gets to the "next level". The OL is in decent shape, as is the backfield. Yes, always need to have a couple each year to fill graduations, but not a plethora. The crying need is defense and if we don't focus on that THIS YEAR we will be taking a major step backward.

RichH2
December 21st, 2017, 10:54 PM
Gotta disagree on Lehigh's needs. yes, DL, but decent sized LB 's are a close second. Defense, defense, defense is what wins championships and gets to the "next level". The OL is in decent shape, as is the backfield. Yes, always need to have a couple each year to fill graduations, but not a plethora. The crying need is defense and if we don't focus on that THIS YEAR we will be taking a major step backward.
Yup. But, appears very unlikely that we can get actual quality on DL.at this point. Norris and Hafner are good size real LBs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2017, 10:58 PM

Lehigh has a great history of recruiting offensive players. I think in some ways the program recruits QB's and WR's on its own tradition. Coen has a great track record with OL's so I'm not concerned about that area. I'm confident he'll bring in guys who he can work with and mold them into a quality FCS unit. I honestly think Coen could be a OL coach at a Top 15 FBS program. It is absolutely all about defense, specifically the DL and LB's. They desperately need an influx of size and physical presence at those positions. Things right now are extremely bleak heading into 2018 without something changing. I still have some faith in the secondary. They were put in terrible spots all year because of the front 7 couldn't stop the run or put pressure on the quarterback. Injuries were also costly. I think there's some real talent there. #18 could be a real different maker....

Lehigh Football Nation
December 21st, 2017, 11:20 PM
Yup. But, appears very unlikely that we can get actual quality on DL.at this point. Norris and Hafner are good size real LBs.

The presence of Norris and Haffner and returning starters is why I didn't list them as a "need". Having said that I'd probably have listed them as the 4th need. 5th would probably be WR, though it truly seems like Lehigh reloads at WR every single year.

RichH2
December 22nd, 2017, 09:52 AM
Lehigh has a great history of recruiting offensive players. I think in some ways the program recruits QB's and WR's on its own tradition. Coen has a great track record with OL's so I'm not concerned about that area. I'm confident he'll bring in guys who he can work with and mold them into a quality FCS unit. I honestly think Coen could be a OL coach at a Top 15 FBS program. It is absolutely all about defense, specifically the DL and LB's. They desperately need an influx of size and physical presence at those positions. Things right now are extremely bleak heading into 2018 without something changing. I still have some faith in the secondary. They were put in terrible spots all year because of the front 7 couldn't stop the run or put pressure on the quarterback. Injuries were also costly. I think there's some real talent there. #18 could be a real different maker....

+1

Gater
December 22nd, 2017, 01:53 PM
I was wrong to say DL is a need for Colgate. Lots of young DL on the team. Hunt speaks to the team's needs on the Colgate site--including WR. Lots of WR's graduating after this year.

van
December 22nd, 2017, 09:00 PM
The presence of Norris and Haffner and returning starters is why I didn't list them as a "need". Having said that I'd probably have listed them as the 4th need. 5th would probably be WR, though it truly seems like Lehigh reloads at WR every single year.

giving too much weight to the two frosh who have hardly taken a snap, they may be very good, but if so they sure didn't push out the upperclassmen, and I don't buy the "coaches play their favorites" routine, coaches have had no problem playing frosh in the past if they earned it

Fordham
December 22nd, 2017, 09:01 PM
I was wrong to say DL is a need for Colgate. Lots of young DL on the team. Hunt speaks to the team's needs on the Colgate site--including WR. Lots of WR's graduating after this year.

Ha! That sounds like an awful lot like a guy who looked at who signed and then re-evaluated their needs! I haven’t looked at Gate’s class but did they do well at WR?

Gater
December 22nd, 2017, 10:59 PM
Ha! That sounds like an awful lot like a guy who looked at who signed and then re-evaluated their needs! I haven’t looked at Gate’s class but did they do well at WR?

Ha! You are 1000% right. In my defense, I kind of didn't think Colgate had needs other than OL depth and didn't go through the roster. If you look at the team by position--
http://www.gocolgateraiders.com/roster.aspx?path=football&roster=365&sort=position
They have 2 scholarship DL seniors.
2 scholarship DL juniors.
2 scholarship DL sophomores (if you include one player who is also listed at TE)
5 scholarship DL freshmen (including Esarco--who I would think will be getting a redshirt.)
Which means DL has to be just about the least of their needs.

WO
3 seniors
5 juniors
1 sophomore
2 freshmen
(I would think 7 or 8 of these guys are scholarship.)
That means after next year, Colgate has 2 or 3 scholarship WO's on the roster. A much bigger need than DL.

As far as Colgate's Patsies, it's not looking good at this point. A lot of guys from the north east and midwest. Those guys end up on fewer recruiting sites than the guys from the south. Last year's #'s were low but that looks to be a very good class.

To your point Fordham, Colgate has brought in 3 WO's at this point and one DL and the last thing this poster wants to do is cost his squad the two Patsy points that push the not Red Raiders over the 50 point threshold!!!

Bill
December 23rd, 2017, 08:35 PM
Colgate has brought in 3 WO's at this point and one DL and the last thing this poster wants to do is cost his squad the two Patsy points that push the not Red Raiders over the 50 point threshold!!!

Gater, +1 for referring to yourself in the third person during this post. Merry Christmas from an LU grad in an extended family of Red Raiders....

Andy
December 27th, 2017, 02:23 PM
Lafayette

Need Areas:
1. WR (depth, WR star of future)
2. OL (depth, improvement)
3. DL (depth)

I would've gone exactly the way you've got it, LFN (argument could be made to flip #2 and #3). Lost 3 WR to graduation and 3 DL to graduation and maybe a 4th to a 365 day suspension. OL was just poor, looking for quality. We do have 2 upperclassmen OL coming off season long injuries. Staff went heavy on DL in early period. Garrett went head-to-head fairly often this year with PL mates with mostly negative results. Pride of the class seems to be the 3* QB.